PDA

View Full Version : Do you post when you ride "Western"?

SherlocksPonies
May. 6, 2012, 08:32 PM
In the past several years I have noticed more and more people are posting at the trot in their Western saddles.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems to be a new thing...what happened to the sitting jog/trot?

Understand, I come from an English riding background so I am not against posting, but I just wondered if my perception of this being a growing trend is right...and why do you think it's happening?

I personally enjoy doing BOTH the sitting trot and posting...whether or not I am riding English OR Western.

saddleup
May. 6, 2012, 08:40 PM
In a show setting I've never seen anyone post in a western saddle. But when I'm trail riding or warming up before a lesson or even a class and just want to get the bugs out I will definitely post.

I think it's just so much more comfortable and natural when asking your horse to move out, and I'm sure that's why you'll see the occasional roper or team penner or other "western" participant posting.

Bluey
May. 6, 2012, 08:48 PM
Old cowboys used to stand in the stirrups when long trotting, until some decades ago they figured how to post.
Today, all post, easier on a horse's back and if a horse is rough, easier on the rider's back also.

For showing, you rarely have to long trot around the arena.
Sitting when jogging seems standard.

Even in English riding, posting is mostly for working trot, but real training on the flat is generally done at the sitting trot, even when extending the trot for a short length.

sparkette
May. 6, 2012, 09:48 PM
I usually post in a western saddle to warm the horse up before I enter my classes.

bugsynskeeter
May. 6, 2012, 10:09 PM
In the past several years I have noticed more and more people are posting at the trot in their Western saddles.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems to be a new thing...what happened to the sitting jog/trot?

Understand, I come from an English riding background so I am not against posting, but I just wondered if my perception of this being a growing trend is right...and why do you think it's happening?

I personally enjoy doing BOTH the sitting trot and posting...whether or not I am riding English OR Western.

Often times, hunt seat horses are warmed up/schooled in western tack. So yes, the riders will be posting. I post when warming up my reining horse before we start loping, but she isn't exactly the smoothest. We also long trot, so no real jogging.

DressageFancy
May. 6, 2012, 10:44 PM
I've always posted to warm up my horses reguardless of what kind of saddle I'm riding in so, yes, I post in a western saddle. I post a lot when trail riding in my western saddle also. It is easier on your horse than just sitting up there all day long!

Shermy
May. 6, 2012, 11:29 PM
If going faster than a jog, then yes, I post.

Simbalism
May. 7, 2012, 01:33 AM
Yes I post or get in a half seat if my mare is doing her really forward "trail trot".

7HL
May. 7, 2012, 06:44 AM
Most of the time I do a sitting trot, but I will if we are trotting for a long time.

Trakehner
May. 7, 2012, 07:33 AM
A lot of it depends on the horse. Some you can't sit to on a good day, it's just miserable for all involved. Some horses are so smooth, it's not necessary.

cutter99
May. 7, 2012, 08:00 AM
I have always posted when riding western. It is a great way to warm a horse up and get up off their back and get them loosened up.

altermeup
May. 7, 2012, 08:08 AM
Yes. Especially when long trotting over distance, it's one of my favorite workouts for my horse and myself.

lilitiger2
May. 7, 2012, 08:50 AM
Anything beyond a jog, I post. Saves the horse for going long distances, much more comfortable for me, Almost every old cow hand i've met posts or stands in the stirrups!

my buddy's blue
May. 8, 2012, 09:13 AM
When we are moving cows and checking fence we will post, but if we are training we only work the jog so we sit. But there is no way the horses could keep up with the cows if they jogged behind them.

sahqueen
May. 8, 2012, 10:16 AM
We will post when long trotting during schooling/warming up. A lot of times we'll ride the Huntseat horses at home in a work saddle, so will post on them while trotting as well.

In the show ring when asked to extend the jog always, always, always sit, never post!

kewpalace
May. 8, 2012, 10:31 AM
In the show ring when asked to extend the jog always, always, always sit, never post!Guess it depends on the show/class - in ranch horse shows, you can definitely post (and I do) when asked for extended trots. Also in Cowboy Races, you can post when ever. At arena shows, I'll sit the trot, but we don't do much more than jog at those.

I usually post only when my horse does her awesome extended trot. Otherwise I'll sit the trot.

sahqueen
May. 8, 2012, 10:54 AM
If you are in a class that asks for a long trot/extended trot than posting may be appropriate. In a class that asks for an extended jog (ie Western Pleasure, Horsemanship, etc) posting would not be appropriate. In my mind they are two different and distinct gaits.

Most of mine have at least 3 different gears...jog, ext. jog and long trot depending on the event and seat being ridden.

UrbanHennery
May. 8, 2012, 11:34 AM
I post for warming up at a longer (or faster) trot. Gets both of us warmed up and the kinks out. I sit the jog in the arena, rarely jog on the trail.

paulosey
May. 8, 2012, 11:40 AM
Sure do post. Especially when trail riding or schooling some of the bigger trot movements. Sit trot as well, more so when doing movements like shoulder in and leg yield. My Morgan really doesn't jog yet, but my Appy does. I sit the jog, but usually only jog when showing, rarely on the trail... unless its just a beautiful day to take in some scenery!

Isabeau Z Solace
May. 8, 2012, 11:55 AM
On the ginormous 17+hh dumb-bloods I ride.... yeah, I post.

EquineImagined
May. 8, 2012, 12:39 PM
I do both. Like others, long periods I'll post some sit some. Greener horse I'll post.

You put me in a wintec and I'm posting no matter what. I am NOT sitting a jog/trot on one of those! Nuh nuh. No way. I even half seated a lope the one time I was in one. Looked redonkulous riding so English in a Western saddle but saved my bum!

S1969
May. 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
I attended a clinic at the Equine Affaire with Julie Goodnight and she said "Of COURSE western riders post. We just don't post in competition." I assume she means in a Western Pleasure type of class.

I have been to local shows where an extended trot is asked for and riders are even told "you may post".

OldMorgans
May. 8, 2012, 05:13 PM
When trail riding, doing a long trot I'll either post or stand.
I seem to remember as a child, back in the age of dinosaurs, that western riders who posted were frowned upon.

Maude
May. 8, 2012, 06:44 PM
My dutch mare has alot of suspension unless she is barely trotting. if I didn't post, I'd bounce to kingdom come. I could barely sit her trot in a dressage saddle let alone a western saddle. :)

SherlocksPonies
May. 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
My dutch mare has alot of suspension unless she is barely trotting. if I didn't post, I'd bounce to kingdom come :lol::cool::lol:

Maude, I so get this! I used to have an OTTB like that...no matter what I could not sit that trot! Posting kept me ON him!

OTOH, my paint mare I have now has a trot that is very easy to sit. Overall, I think it really depends on the horse's gait and suspension even more than which kind of saddle one is riding in.

xeroxchick
May. 10, 2012, 06:57 AM
On the occasions my husband has taken me to a ranch in West Texas to work cattle (yes, for fun, ugh) I was definitly impressed to see the cowboys posting when we were heading out to round up pairs. We had to go several miles at a trot and they were definitly posting. These were macho, no nonsense types. Logical, to get from point A to point B the most comfortable way for horse and rider would be a good posting trot.

maverick299
May. 10, 2012, 01:26 PM
On the breed circuits (mostly) everything is schooled in a western saddle. My hunt seater has been schooled in a western saddle forever, and prefers it, as do I!

Ambitious Kate
May. 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
But do you post?

Bluey
May. 13, 2012, 10:55 AM
I taught our 4H kids to post and why, how it is better for the horse at times.
They were also showing in English classes.

Later, while working cattle, some parents that were cowboys, here and there, in private, one would ask me to show them how to post, which I did.
Most of them then went on to post while long trotting along, although I remember some that at times still just stood in the stirrups.

Some western horses have such a short, choppy trot that it is harder to post on them.

I used to tell them riding western or English or racing or any other discipline is like using different but similar languages to talk to horses.
They are close to the same, but there are some differences, like more or less contact and demanding more or less quickness or extensions of the horse, plus the technical riding each discipline requires.

Beverley
May. 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
Yes, I do, as does everyone I know, when riding what is known these days as the 'long trot' aka 'working trot' for most of us.

But, it should be realized that lots of working cowboys (and wannabes) prefer simply going from walk to lope, very little trotting. I know a very few who actively discourage trotting- they just want two gaits on their working horses. I know when growing up, if I happened to go spend time at a working ranch in 60s and 70s, the horses just weren't accustomed to trotting. Walk or lope or gallop.

It's a method that can work if it's what the rider wants- though my own preference is three good gaits, not two.

Rambler
May. 13, 2012, 12:19 PM
I have been taught to use posting trot as a training tool for a western pleasure horse. I have taught my mare that its OK to go fast when I am posting for warm up. As soon as she feels like she is relaxed and wanting to slow down I will sit and she gears right down and jogs. If she still wants to speed up at the jog I will go back to posting and do some suppling exercises and then try to jog again. Its an excellent training tool as it is very clear to the horse, post means forward, sit means jog.

ViewParadise
May. 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
I've always posted when long trotting or when riding an unbalanced 'surge-y' greenie

Pcostx
May. 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
I always post in my Western saddle, but then again I've never had a horse that would do that slow, Western jog!

carp
May. 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
With my gelding, whether I post depends on whether he's doing a jog or a trot. His jog is quite smooth. Posting to it feels artificial, like posting to a fast walk. His trot has more action, so it's more comfortable for both of us if I post.

I think I've managed to get a sweet jog out of my mare only once. Her trot isn't horrible compared to many horses, but it's got enough bounce that both of us are happier if I post.

Fingerlakes
May. 15, 2012, 09:43 PM

I do for the most part with a faster trot. People say it's a "english" thing. I disagree! It's "riding" thing.

Lady Counselor
May. 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
I do both, depending on how my back is feeling. The sitting trot for too long just jars an old injury enough to make it uncomfortable. Posting is much easier on it.
Plus, on young horses, I like to know that they are used to whatever I may be doing on their backs and that they will keep a steady rhythm even if I am changing mine up.