PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice about abandoned horses!

Amontiamo
May. 6, 2012, 06:43 PM
I need advice... I have been searching the Internet without finding much...

I lease a farm and manage a large boarding/training program.
I have a customer who has left two of her show horses here and has not paid in several months. Her home went into forclosure and the IRS was after her.
What do I do with the horses?
I would not mind taking over ownership of them since I have already put a lot of money into their upkeep.
I am worried the woman has taken off and I want to make sure I know what will happen to these horses (I am also deeply emotionally invested).

My next step was to call the county sheriff or Georgia Ag. Department
But was wondering if anyone has ever been in this situation.

Thank you

lwd
May. 6, 2012, 07:12 PM
Was there no boarding agreement? You will have to file in small claim court for nonpayment of board. Good luck.

exvet
May. 6, 2012, 07:29 PM
In Arizona, abandoned livestock falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Ag.

rmh_rider
May. 6, 2012, 07:35 PM
OP why are posting the SAME scenario on the dressage AND hunter/jumper threads?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352167

MyssMyst
May. 6, 2012, 07:52 PM
She has one in horse care too...

Amontiamo
May. 6, 2012, 08:40 PM
I was having some trouble with my computer while trying to post. I didn't mean to post mulitiple times.

starborne
May. 7, 2012, 09:12 AM
You need to get some legal advice as the laws vary by state. I once boarded at a place where the BO had an abandoned horse and unfortunately had more board owed than the horse was worth - she just wanted it gone. If I remember correctly (it was @ 30 yrs ago) she had to send a certified letter to the owner's last known address stating very specifically what was owed and why and what she intended to do regarding the unpaid bill. She also had to post in 2 newspapers that she was looking for the owner of the horse. Then after a specified amount of time she was able to take ownership of the horse.