View Full Version : Dressage trainer in VT for OTTB

May. 6, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hi - I have a young OTTB and I think I've gotten her far enough along that I'd like to begin taking some dressage lessons on her. Does anyone have ideas for who to ride with up here in VT? Someone who is especially good with OTTBs and appreciates their personalities and sensitivities? Thanks! Feel free to PM me :)

May. 6, 2012, 06:57 PM
Where in VT are you located?

May. 6, 2012, 06:58 PM
Where in VT are you? Deb Dean-Smith at Huntington Farm in South Strafford would be excellent. The first horse that she trained to GP was her event horse (she had competed to advanced) who I believe was Tb

May. 6, 2012, 07:01 PM
Sorry- should've mentioned this before- I'm up in the Burlington area. :) Thanks!

May. 6, 2012, 07:19 PM
If I lived in that area I'd be over to Eliza Rutherford at Foxwood Farm in a heartbeat.

May. 6, 2012, 08:23 PM
Kate Selby in New Haven, VT is a terrific trainer as well. :)

rebecca yount
May. 6, 2012, 09:50 PM
Try to find Ellen Miller (not Ellin Dixon Miller, this is a different Ellen Miller) I think she might be in Heinzville or Heinzburg or something like that.

May. 6, 2012, 10:20 PM
Just to add a name to the pile, Emily Kannenstine is in Woodstock for the spring/summer/fall. Her own horses are primarily Lusitanos but they have their own sensitivities. I don't really know her, but looked at a lovely mare that she had for sale here in Florida. I liked her and the way her horses seemed.

May. 6, 2012, 10:36 PM
Ruth Hogan-Poulsen in Plainfield is very good with quirky, sensitive horses.

Jane Savoie
May. 7, 2012, 08:33 AM
Liz Austin is in your area. Ruth Poulsen is great too.

If you want to go as far south as Norwich, Jane Hamlin's specialty is OTTBs.

May. 7, 2012, 09:32 AM
I would also recommend Ruth Hogan-Poulsen. She is a very tactful and sensitive rider/trainer/instructor.

Eclectic Horseman
May. 7, 2012, 09:50 AM

May. 7, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, I need someone who can travel to my barn as I don't have a trailer. Occasionally, I might be able to hitch a ride with someone, but not reliably. Wonder if any of these trainers travel?

May. 7, 2012, 10:12 AM

I've ridden with Lori Berger and she is great.

May. 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
Vtshale, Where are you? I'm in Milton. My daughter rides with Becky Train. I can't say enough about how much she had gotten out of her work with Becky. I started her with Becky because she was riding a very reactive OTTB gelding. Becky does travel for lessons. She isn't generally recognized as such, but I think she's the one of the top dressage instructors in our area.

You could also try Triple Combination Farm in the Ferrisburg area. I believe they do travel. I think it was a trainer from there that did a dressage presentation at Everything Equine last weekend.

May. 7, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joy Congdon is also in Shelburne now. She also travels to give lessons. My daughter rode with her to get a judged ride to qualify for D4K. Joy was great, very nice and lovely to work with.

May. 7, 2012, 11:15 AM
We would be willing to trailer in for a lesson with Joy once in a while.

May. 8, 2012, 09:45 AM
I'm going to second Becky Train! She's wipped my hunter butt into dressage shape, and is wonderful about making you work, but always ending on a positive note. She's out of Milton, but like ptowne said, will travel! If you're looking for some place to board she has great facilities as well.

I've ridden with her for almost 4 years now, and have gotten both my horses from her. I couldn't be happier!! I don't tend to click well with a lot of trainers, but she was a great match for me.

She also doesn't travel south in the winter, so would be consistent. It's just something to think about when you're asking around.

May. 8, 2012, 04:01 PM
Try to find Ellen Miller (not Ellin Dixon Miller, this is a different Ellen Miller) I think she might be in Heinzville or Heinzburg or something like that.

Hinesburg :)