PDA

View Full Version : Need dressage saddle recommendations...

TSHEventing
May. 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
After years of riding in nice, but saddles that don't *quite* fit me, I am finally selling a couple saddles I have and getting that one perfect dressage saddle...

trouble is, I don't know what it is! There are so many options so I thought I would ask the experts (I am an eventer, as the name suggests) to give me some recommendations for a starting point. I realize I'll probably end up trying several styles, but even narrowing to brand has been tricky!

I do have some requirements:

1) deep seat
2) *must* be adjustable (in the way of custom saddlery, etc. where you can have a fitter change the shape of the saddle to your horse, not like the gusset system or anything like that)
3) knee blocks that follow the shape of a more forward leg (i.e., not straight down)
4) a more forward flap (I have a short thigh and to support my taller upper body ride with a slightly shorter stirrup)
5) monoflap desirable
6) buffalo or calf skin (though I'm not sure I really know the difference?)
7) more narrow twist bias

Answer away as if cost was not an issue. I don't want to go fully custom (like stackhouse or devoucoux) but the semi custom are fine.

go! :)
Thanks so much!

Caduceusf
May. 5, 2012, 09:34 PM
You might try a Prestige 2000D. There are quite a few used ones floating around. They are a well made work horse of a saddle. I have recommended this saddle for many of my students.

Frizzle
May. 5, 2012, 10:04 PM
How about a Schleese? There are several on fineusedsaddles.com that I am currently lusting after!

Personally, I would not go with calfskin--way too flimsy. Buffalo, on the other hand, is supposed to be quite resilient and long-lasting

Fergs
May. 5, 2012, 10:19 PM
I have an Amerigo Vega that meets almost all of your requirements, except it's not that customizable. Still, my horse has the freakiest back of all time, and an off-the-rack version fits pretty darn well. I seriously love it and it's a super nice saddle that I got for a very reasonable price. If one worked for you, you'd be almost guaranteed to be able to sell it again if you needed to.