View Full Version : Help me choose a show pad color

May. 5, 2012, 08:13 AM
First, let me say that I am not planning on USDF shows; I ride at my local GMO's schooling shows.

I want to buy a new show pad that is not white. My horse is a chestnut tobiano Paint, and a clean white pad can make his white look more dirty.

My tack is brown. I am wearing light tan/buff breeches with brown boots and, hopefully, a brown helmet. I can wear either a brown or a navy coat. I also have black boots/helmet that I can wear with the navy coat. I guess I'm sticking with a white shirt, as cream or off white just makes me look jaundiced. I'm not sure if I should buy a pad that works with both, or just one that works with the brown ensemble as that's new for me this year and I'm looking forward to being a little different. ;)

So, the question is what color pad? Champagne or cream? Or is that just adding another "color" to the mix? Navy? Brown?

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

May. 5, 2012, 08:52 AM

This pad in CHOCOLATE. I have it for schooling on my very chestnut mare and get many compliments. It is nicely priced and has held up quite well for a couple years now. Note that it is a pretty substantial pad, well quilted. Not a wimpy one...The color is a "bright" brown but w/a hint of red in it leaning more towards a rust color, not a hershey bar brown.

May. 5, 2012, 08:53 AM
I would try navy and see how that looked. I have a chestnut pinto and my colors are brown too with navy for his show halter and sheets. In his case he can pull off a white pad (probably since his body is mostly brown so the pad is not right next to the white).

I use a lot of chocolate brown too but in this case you might want a bit of contrast if you are already doing a lot of brown.

I PERSONALLY don't like cream or champagne, especially on a horse with a lot of white.

May. 5, 2012, 09:10 AM
Sendenhorse, lucky you for having little white. ;) I used to have an all white pony, so I just keep telling myself that Pepper is 50-60% easier than that. :D

I was leaning toward not getting cream, as nothing else I have (breeches, shirt, etc.) is cream. The bonus of Navy, I think would be that it would work with either jacket.

But I love brown! 2tempe, what are the actual colors in the trim of that pad you linked? It's hard to tell in the photo?

Hmmm... I may need to find a brown and a navy to borrow and set on him to try.

Thanks for the input!

May. 5, 2012, 09:42 AM
Oh, I'd consider trading all white legs, and I do mean ALL white legs for some more body color, but its flashy. At least he has a brown tail. LOL.

May. 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
I just got my order from this company:

They have some pretty awesome colors (and matching browbands! Squee!).

I just got bridlework, but the quality is awesome and my order came very fast. I was very impressed!

May. 5, 2012, 11:21 AM
OP - I will check colors on the trim of the pad; I'm headin' to the barn shortly. If I were you, I'd order one of these in Chocolate, one in Navy. Hold them up to your horse when they arrive; and to other stuff and see what you like best; keep both, return one or both. QED!

May. 6, 2012, 06:57 PM
I have a chestunut overo Paint too. I have the FITS champagne colored breeches and shirt which I pair with a brown show coat. I also ride with cream pad with black, brown and gold on it.

Close-up shot

May. 6, 2012, 09:02 PM
Paintlady, I love that second shot of your horse! :)

Trust me, if I could pull off champagne on me, I would. I could do the breeches, but put any kind of "off" white near my face and I look ill. As I am only competing at schooling shows, I'm sticking with my tan/buff breeches and a white shirt.

I do like your pad, though. :D I'm leaning toward Navy, with either brown trim and champagne piping or champagne trim and brown piping.

Thanks for the input!

May. 6, 2012, 09:10 PM
Okay, I updated my OP. I'm embarrassed to say that I used the wrong coat pattern to describe my guy. :o This is my first Paint, and I guess I still don't have the patterns straight in my head yet.

Pepper is a chestnut tobiano. I guess he's about 50% white, with 4 white legs to keep clean!

Long Spot
May. 6, 2012, 09:19 PM

I have it in a periwinkle blue color. Wouldn't show in it due to me being a bit of a conformist, but it's lovely and a really really nice pad. Just wanted to give a thumbs up for this brand. Mine's a few years old and still looks great and has help up really well. Still looks almost new.

May. 7, 2012, 12:07 PM
SeamsRight saddle pads will make any color combo you want. The pads are pricey, but SUPER nice!

I recently got a Navy show coat (thanks eBay!). I'm still keeping with the chamagne breeches/shirt/stock tie because I can't stand the look of white on my Paint mare. I ordered a champagne pad with navy trim and light blue piping from SeamsRight to match my jacket and Paint mare's blue eye.

May. 7, 2012, 12:16 PM
I agree with everyone who said navy would be a good pad color. Navy and brown together on a chestnut tobiano with you in a navy coat would probably look very sharp. If you want another color to try, you could always go for a nice dark green, but be careful - I don't know how that would mix with a navy jacket. I do know for a fact that hunter green looks gorgeous on chestnuts, and would probably look just as good on a chestnut tobiano.

May. 7, 2012, 12:17 PM
Paintlady, I love that second shot of your horse! :)

Thanks! I won a professional photo shoot at a silent auction. The photographer (http://www.michellaphotography.com/) did a great job!

Sandy M
May. 8, 2012, 11:32 AM
i like the cappuchino ultra suede pad that Dressage Extensuins used to (still does?) sell. sorry for typos one finger typing broken arm yes, horse related

May. 8, 2012, 12:23 PM
What about no pad or a fitted pad?

I have a mostly white horse with palomino pinto markings, and I can't get the whites to match, so I've decided anytime I show her, I'm going fitted or padless. You're already riding a flashy pinto in brown tack — go whole hog with retro in brown! lol

There is another pali pinto on here that I saw did the same thing (or maybe HGS?) and I got the idea from her.

I think adding color to an already flashy horse might detract from the horse, rather than enhance it.