PDA

View Full Version : hindquarter conformation

colorfan
May. 3, 2012, 11:00 PM
I am looking for opinions on a horse that is close behind.

This horse is not sickle hocked just built with the hind legs close together.
From the side she looks great, from the rear the hocks and cannons are quite close.

What issues would you expect with this conformation in a dressage horse?

thank you for your thoughts.

netg
May. 4, 2012, 10:47 AM
I'd care more about how it makes the horse go.

Possible concerns are interference, lack of both carrying and pushing power and trouble with lateral reach. Ultimately, though, just knowing the horse stands close behind doesn't mean any of those are a concern - and they're some of the things I look at in any horse, not just one who is close behind.

mzm farm
May. 4, 2012, 11:16 PM
There is a whole school of thought that the hind legs need to be brought closer to the middle line as the horse advances in training. This one sounds like a natural! ;)

colorfan
May. 5, 2012, 10:02 AM
mzm

where could I learn more about this?

thanks for the thoughts.

NOMIOMI1
May. 5, 2012, 12:26 PM
Are we talking base narrow?

It is rough to keep the tight rope walkers balance and the rider has to be SO incredibly balanced and quiet and out of the way... But I have seen it done and done well :)

Velvet
May. 5, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cow hocked? They make GREAT jumpers and it won't be an issue at the lower levels and possibly not a major problem (depends) up to 4th. Base narrow, there's a lot more potential issues with soundness and balance.

Beentheredonethat
May. 5, 2012, 03:59 PM
colorfan--One of the recent articles in Equus on conformation discusses just that. And, I agree with Velvet on the jumping.

I think a lot of that is how they are muscled. When I just got my Appy at five and look at the pictures, he had a chest about three inches wide, and from the back his hocks and cannons almpost touched. After years of work and muscling, he was completely different. His chest widened quite a bit, and as those inner thigh muscles got bigger and stronger, the distance between his hind legs widened. He was a completely different horse.

My only "issue" with it would be that the horse is not conditioned.