PDA

View Full Version : MAX-Control snaffle

farriersgirl
May. 3, 2012, 09:13 AM
Has anyone had any expereience using this bit? Concept sounds interesting but defeats the purpose of a loose ring bit. Am currently using a baucher bit for xlarge warmblood who is now strong and balanced enough to experiment with "softer" options. thanks

http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=1131

quietann
May. 3, 2012, 09:35 AM
The Stubben EZ Control has a very similar mouthpiece. My old trainer used it as her "go-to bit" for horses that are forward-thinking but tended to curl or duck behind the contact. My horse liked it, though eventually I switched to something else as she and I got a bit more communicative with each other and didn't need a bit that "shouted" so to speak. (Coincidentally, my current trainer asked me to put her back in it this week, and after 2 rides, the answer is "definitely NOT.")

The loose rings will still move/rotate; what locks is the mouthpiece.

CHT
May. 3, 2012, 11:42 AM
I bought the EZ Control for a horse that likes to curl behind and suck back. He seems much more willing to come into the bridle in it vs in the french link I had him in previously, or the single jointed loose ring he came with.

gnu
May. 3, 2012, 01:25 PM
Those of you who have used the stubben ez control; have you tried the horses in a mullen as well as the ez control? It seems the stubben bit acts like a mullen when the rein is picked up. I have a horse in a mullen thus am curious.

Shiaway
May. 3, 2012, 01:38 PM
I ride my neighbor's horse and she uses one. I would say it's probably not a bad bit for a transition period but it's not really a useful bit in dressage because it doesn't really have the independence of a snaffle. I think a bar bit would not be much different then this bit, that's how it feels in my hand anyway. You really need the action of the snaffle for flexion etc. otherwise the double bridle would just be a curb bridle. It seems like a useful tool for a transition period though and if dressage is not the goal then I don't think it would matter, you just get a stiffer horse.

ETA. I think my neighbor's bit is a stubben. Hers has some leverage on it, too. But as far as the mouth piece, to me it feels like I'm riding in a bar bit.