PDA

View Full Version : Terrible names for well known TBs....

dublin
Oct. 25, 2002, 10:04 AM
Ivanavinalot is at the top of my list right now! That poor horse.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone else have any examples?

It's not California Dreamin' -
It's an all California World Series!
~~GO GIANTS!!!!!!~~

dublin
Oct. 25, 2002, 10:04 AM
Ivanavinalot is at the top of my list right now! That poor horse.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone else have any examples?

It's not California Dreamin' -
It's an all California World Series!
~~GO GIANTS!!!!!!~~

Kinsella
Oct. 25, 2002, 10:22 AM
Whodontknowdat was a horse I used to ride... WE called him Dr. Who (and I actually watched that show!)

I want to look at the horizon and not see a building standing tall...

Darkhollow Farm
Oct. 25, 2002, 10:34 AM
I knew a registered thoroughbred called Spaghetti, her son Take Your Sauce, and her daughter Linguini!

dublin
Oct. 25, 2002, 10:36 AM
Basically any of the names wherethewordsareallcrammedtogetherwithoutspaces
look funny to me!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lauruffian
Oct. 25, 2002, 10:44 AM
I will always remember a horse that used to run at...what was it, River Downs? Some small track in Ohio, about 10 years ago.

His name?

This Dud's For You

There was also a horse with the unfortunate name Ch*ngoso, which is Spanish for "f**ker." /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

When the Jockey Club figured that out, they were forced to change his name.

I used to think the world was against me. Now I know better...some of the smaller countries are neutral.

drifting cloud
Oct. 25, 2002, 10:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I will always remember a horse that used to run at...what was it, River Downs? Some small track in Ohio, about 10 years ago.

His name?

This Dud's For You<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! This post just made me laugh out loud. That poor horse!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I agree that Ivanavinalot is pretty bad.

"Judge Smells" and "Smelly" always come to mind when I am thinking about bad names. And I saw another bad name recently when checking results on Equibase. There was a horse named "But." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!"

Zevida
Oct. 25, 2002, 11:31 AM
What about:

Isitingood (get it?)

Bodacious Tatas

Spinelessjellyfish

Icecoldbeeratreds

I agree about Ivanavinalot, it just isn't right. I don't mind names with words smushed (Songandaprayer I like a lot, I liked She'sastonecoldfox too) but that one is icky.

Let's see, what others can I think of....

"We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are." M E M E N T O

Zevida
Oct. 25, 2002, 11:33 AM
I was just looking at some of Judge Smells's offspring to see what names they got stuck with and I found possibly the worst ever:

Skunk Cabbage

Poor thing!

LaurieB
Oct. 25, 2002, 01:50 PM
Here's one from the November Keeneland catalogue, by Kingmambo x Meringue Pie:

Whipped Queen /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Miss Perfect
Oct. 25, 2002, 02:05 PM
LOL, Kinsella - I registered my gelding's show name as Doctor Who with USAEq! It was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid!

Donate to help AIDS patients (https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=kqacaf%40hotmail.com&item_name=Kent+%26+Quenn+Annes+Counties+AIDS+Found ation&no_shipping=1&no_note=1)

Alagirl
Oct. 25, 2002, 07:26 PM
A German Stallion is named *Irish Stew* - I pitied the horse when I first saw his name in the yearling catalog.

You only have to look up the CANTER sites /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I think on New England: *Stinko Miss* yuck!

Some of the bad names come from the nomenclature, in Germany the foals are named starting with the letter of the Dam: A colt out of an *N* mare by Nebos was first named *Little Nebos* /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif, then later changed to Lebos, quiet a racehorse.

Another one was *Karin I love you*, cantering around Southwest German track, named after the owners wife. The filly was sold, I don't know however if it coincided with the divorce.

JER
Oct. 25, 2002, 11:49 PM
How about Hoovergetthekeys?

Zevida
Oct. 26, 2002, 07:20 AM
JER: I didn't like Hoovergethekeys until I heard the story behind the name. The owner had trained his dog Hoover to retrieve his car keys for him and so he would say "Hoover, get the keys." I don't necessarily like the name, but all together it's kind of cute.

Another one is Tali'sluckybusride, which sounds awful at first, but she was named after the owner's dog Tali. They were either waiting for a bus or walking by when one was stopped and Tali was on the bus and got off and they adopted her. It's a cute story.

Zevida
Oct. 26, 2002, 07:20 AM
Here's another one I hate:

Buffythecenterfold

drifting cloud
Oct. 26, 2002, 08:12 AM
When Mister Frisky was racing, I wanted to root for him but I just couldn't because I hated his name so much. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

can't re-
Oct. 26, 2002, 10:23 AM
Here are a few that are interesting but maybe not well known:

A mare named: One Good Wack......barn name Wacker.

I owned: I Am Rampage....he was. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

How about the horse named Somfas....remember what that stands for???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I always like the name Judge Smells....I've seen some of his offspring at breed shows and thought it was kinda funny. My mare was bred to him before I bought her and has a son by the lame name of Go Bear /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Et vera incessu patuit dea. (Aenid I, 405)
And her stride revealed she was a true goddess.
~I LOVE my mare.~
---------------

RedEqHunter
Oct. 26, 2002, 03:10 PM
Another vote for Buffythecenterfold. Did they really need to show PICTURES on the Breeder's Cup coverage? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun."

Thoroughbred
Oct. 26, 2002, 04:13 PM
What is "Ivanavinalot" supposed to mean, anyway??

Buffythecenterfold is probably the worst. Other than names like that Spanish name Lauruffian mentioned, it has to be the worst. How can you name a horse after a naked tramp in a magazine??

As for some examples of my own, I can't stand names that are just one word repeated three times; i.e., Whywhywhy, Bella Bella Bella, and Roses Roses Roses. They just sound very annoying to me.

*Bounce*
Oct. 26, 2002, 04:38 PM
There was a horse racing today in one of the Breeder's Cup races named WhyWhyWhy. I thought that was pretty stupid.

*Alexa*

Zevida
Oct. 26, 2002, 04:38 PM
Just break Ivannavinalot up:

I vanna vin a lot

Then say it with a transylvania accent.

So, it is really I wanna win a lot.

See why it's so dumb?

cheeky_appy
Oct. 26, 2002, 08:08 PM
There is a racehorse (pacer) in New Zealand called Shutthe Fridgedoor

Ho hum, poor blighter!

Debbie: Appaloosa lover!!
Member of the Do It Yourself Clique
And founder?? of the Appaloosa show jumping clique

Thoroughbred
Oct. 26, 2002, 08:24 PM
I figured that "Ivanavinalot" was supposed to somehow translate to "I wanna win a lot", but I didn't know why they would use v's instead of w's, so I figured there was some kind of hidden meaning behind it. I was just overthinking it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Although, sometimes you really do have to study a name to make sure it's not something nasty!

Sexy Seattle and Big Sexy were two other awful names I've seen. Ugh. :P

Sometimes it seems like the Standardbreds have even worse names than the Thoroughbreds. And don't forget the Quarter Horses - Cha Ching Chick is an example.

drifting cloud
Oct. 27, 2002, 05:48 AM
My take on this name is that there was a female spy-type character in one of the Austin Powers movies named "Ivana Humpalot."

I was thinking that maybe "Ivanavinalot" is a takeoff on this name. Even if it isn't, this is what the name reminds me of! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Zevida
Oct. 27, 2002, 08:54 AM
Drifting Cloud:

Me too!

Every time I see/hear her name I think of the Austin Powers movie :0)

dublin
Oct. 27, 2002, 10:52 AM
So it inspired me to search the Jockey Club online name directory, and I found these three that had been registered:

Smellslikefish
Smelly Socks
Smelly Baby

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

everyequine
Oct. 27, 2002, 01:16 PM
I read not so long ago, on another BB thread, that some one in Canada (I think) has a horse named Hoof Hearted. Say it out loud. Picture that over the loud speakers at a horse show!!! I read that one and almost wet 'em!! That's how hard I laughed....even though it is kind of cruel to name a horse that.

I do remeber the horse "Bodacious Tata's" We always knew when she was running, The guys I worked with made it a point to say her name when they read the newspaper for that day's race.

to err is human, to whinny, Equine

everyequine
Oct. 27, 2002, 01:39 PM
here's some more courtesy the Jockey Club
Ugly sister, Ugly mama's baby, wetdoginthemud, wet hen, Godmustbetestingme..... and here's a nice one, Godcreatedallequal.
there are so many more but these were some that struck me funny.

to err is human, to whinny, Equine

Rusty Stirrup
Oct. 27, 2002, 02:53 PM
I remember a horse at Suffolk Downs named "Fish Lips". Now that's terrible. Hey, I like the name "Icecoldbeeratreds"!

Ride on! Rusty Stirrup

DMK
Oct. 27, 2002, 03:35 PM
My old hunter came with the jockey club name of "Raveninthecavin" As in "Raven in the cave in."

He was pitch black without a speck of white, so I suppose that would be the origin of the name (I guess he was as dark as a black bird in a closed cave /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). Since he was by Silent Cal out of Crafty Orphan, it sure didn't come from the breeding! It was that name that convinced me it's OK to change a TB's name for the show ring!

But... I am personally responsible for a TB being registered with the name of "Loose and Leaky" so I probably deserve whatever bad names the JC throws at me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

(go ahead, ask about the story of Loose And Leaky - you know you are dying to!)

Back in the 80's there was a Calder horse by the name of Morganmorganmorgan. And she usually ran pretty good so the poor announcer always had to rattle off her name a half dozen times or so.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

[This message was edited by DMK on Oct. 27, 2002 at 06:46 PM.]

LaurieB
Oct. 27, 2002, 04:10 PM
consider yourself asked! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What's the story behind Loose and Leaky?

DMK
Oct. 27, 2002, 04:39 PM
We had about 20 foals every year, and every year they had about 2 weeks of daily handling before mare and foal were turned back out with the other broodmares and foals. Daily handling included a baby lesson in leading out to the paddock, and back to the stall with mom.

No big deal, right? Not for the other 19 foals, anyway. Mind you, this mare was not our favorite. And she always seemed to have Less Than Clever foals. Foals who became Really Stupid Two Year Olds, I might add. Who then subsequently became No Account Three Year Olds Who Couldn't Run Their Way Out of a Wet Paper Bag, Leading One To Wonder WHY Anyone Would Breed That Mare, but I digress...

Anyway, this particular little fellow had a problem with following mom with the aid of a halter and Ye Old Butt Rope (you really can't call it "leading" - just getting acquainted with the tools of the trade while you take 75 steps following mom). Some more spirited foals get a little airborne and you just quietly contain them and mostly ignore them. Some just plant their tootsies, and you give them a a little bump with the butt rope, and then they notice mom is 3 steps farther than she was a minute ago, and off they go. It's pretty smooth sailing for most foals in other words. Not real traumatic from their perspective.

Anyway, little L&L planted his tootsies about 10 feet out of the stall. Then little L&L felt the butt rope. Then little L&L started BAWLING like a calf - I have NEVER heard a foal/horse make a noise like that (I think it spooked his mom, but she wasn't real maternal, so she started dragging her handler to the paddock). Then... all of a sudden he just started peeing!! We were totally flabbergasted! He scared the piss out of himself - literally! SO we bring mom back, make all sort of comforting noises, and manage to more or less get him to the paddock. Day 2. Repeat Above. Day 3. Repeat Above. Day 4. Repeat Above. About Day 5 he started getting the hang of it, but he was already named by that time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Needless to say he did NOT have the fortitude to become a race horse. Or much else, as far as I know.

Thoroughbred
Oct. 27, 2002, 07:24 PM
Funny story about how Loose & Leaky got his name. I'm trying to imagine the noises he was making and the overall scene. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just had to add these two names: Chicken Dinner and Lentil. :P

jenarby
Oct. 27, 2002, 07:39 PM
Had a gorgeous gelding....big liver chestnut. Looked like a superstar. I figured his name would be something of the same caliber. It was "Tonymike."
In the barn we called him "Lexus" because he was like a fine sports care.
Also had a filly at Laurel named "Autotrain."
She was a tiny, fiesty girl...but that name.....

Good, Better, Best.....the best don't rest until their good is better and their better is the very best!

Freebird!
Oct. 27, 2002, 09:16 PM
Feeling Her Oats /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif and what was that horse who was in the Derby one year? Grits and Hard Toast? Something like that. Not all TB names are bad though - I named my TB filly that we bred "Delightfully Irish" She out of Nicole's Pleasure, and by an Irish bred stallion Desert Secret. As bad as some race horse names are though, it really is hard to name a TB. I had 2 pages worth of names that were already used, before I came up with Delightfully Irish.

~~Come Join the Nightly COTH Chat on AOL Messenger (AIM) IM me for an invite, or C'mon in! (The room is COTH Aim Chat)~~
***Looking for that special horse?? Get an Exracer!!!
http://www.canterusa.org/

War Admiral
Oct. 28, 2002, 04:15 AM
This thread periodically pops up on another BB I am on, and for a long time the name "Chicken Lips" got the Worst TB Name Ever prize there - but I was recently acknowledged the winner. I was fooling around with my horse's pedigree on Del Mar a couple months ago, tracing it waaaaayyyy back, and he has an ancestor called (sorry admins, this is really *is* the name) - Grey Bloody Buttocks!!

We were wondering on the other BB whether you could even get away w/ naming a TB that now. Any JC persons care to comment?

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Reads Forums At Work Clique, Lawn Ornaments For Life Clique

Thoroughbred
Oct. 28, 2002, 12:50 PM
Lizviola... I think that name really takes the cake!!

Here are some more for ya: Dat You Miz Blue, Vodka, Rhum, Farmer In The Dell, Soup n' Crackers (not to mention his sire, Alphabet Soup).

Of course, I've seen plenty of good names, too. But sometimes the worst names are the most memorable ones. How can you forget a name like Grey Bloody Buttocks?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DMK
Oct. 28, 2002, 01:52 PM
Actually, Thoroughbred, those of us in the h/j set are rather fond of the name "Rhum" (as in Rhum IV to be exact). Here's why /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

InWhyCee
Oct. 28, 2002, 02:12 PM
Is this the name of an Eclipse winner? "Hmmmm, she's by far our nicest filly... we really have to name her after Miss November. You know, the one with the marshallow peeps." /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Date More Minors and Blow the World were both nominated to the Triple Crown last year, and how those names ever got by the Jockey Club...

"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will." -- Alois Podhajsky

"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony."

Kinsella
Oct. 28, 2002, 03:23 PM
Hey, we can't forget good old Poker For A Buck!!! OK, that one never really got used but it would have been a doozy... I can hear it now...

"And it's Poker For A Buck by a nose to win the Kentucky Derby"

I guess I'm glad the Lewis' didn't go for it and left the horses name Silver Charm!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I want to look at the horizon and not see a building standing tall...

All points
Oct. 28, 2002, 04:48 PM
About 10 years ago, we had a Tb with the Reg. name of Captian Forehead. Poor thing, turned out to be a good hunter.

Thoroughbred
Oct. 28, 2002, 08:07 PM
Ahh, I see - beautiful horse, too! Problem is, when you hear Tom Durkin say "Rhum is closing on the inside!", you just hear "rum". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just thought of another name: "Itsallgreektome". This horse was second to Royal Academy in the Breeders' Cup Mile, but I forget the year.

diKecnadnuS
Nov. 5, 2002, 05:24 PM
Popular Gigalo won the cup a few years back. And a horse that boarded at our barn was named Natlus...all we could figure out is that it is Sultan backwards.

Sandbarhorse
Nov. 6, 2002, 07:55 AM
Boy, some of these are really terrible. Someone said that you really do remember the bad names and I agree. The racehorse whose name I remember most is: No fat chicks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I actually don't know if it's all one word or not as I heard the announcer calling it on TV one night at about 2am as I was falling asleep. It did wake me up though!!

cinnabar
Nov. 6, 2002, 10:14 AM
...with my Judge Smells baby. I have a 5 year old that came with the rather likeable name of Judge Not, and I've kept that as his show name. After seeing some of the handles they hung on some of his other offspring...yeesh!

Xanthus Farm, where Judge Smells stood, has a web site that includes foal pictures from several years, but my boy is not among them! Wah!

Other horrific TB name - a horse I looked at to buy (and happily did not)...Wino's Joy!

Native Funk
Nov. 6, 2002, 10:28 AM
Jelly Roll Jive

That name is probly the only one that really sticks out right now.. and it was really funni to hear that one over the loud speakers...

Im glad my horse has a nice.. simple name like Native Funk (Jaymo)

~Ravyn

Zevida
Nov. 6, 2002, 12:14 PM
You really did get lucky! I think Judge Not is a great name :0)

My family's thoroughbreds were Pointer Ridge (mare) and Meremar (gelding). For the mare, she was bred in Maryland and near the PG Equestrian Center is a shopping center called something like Point Ridge center so I was thinking maybe she was named after something in the area. I have no idea what Meremar means/is!

I also have the distinction of giving a horse a name that I now think is awful (not to mention spelled wrong!): Truely Perfection. He's a two year old gelding getting ready for his first race in about a week an a half. I owe a tiny percentage of him (though I don't have to pay, yea!). When his owner was looking for a name, I just rambled off a zillion suggestions I could come up with. He picked some of the ones he liked that I suggested and some of his own and sent them in and the JC rejected Eradicate and Notable (too simliar to other names) and picked the next one, Truely Perfection! I spelled it correctly but the owner submitted it incorrectly and now is too supersticious to change it. I'm something of a spelling Nazi and it is driving me crazy!

Not to mention I think it is a terrible name for a gelding, especially a big, powerful one like he is! I mean, his barn name is Tank after all!

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 7, 2002, 04:02 AM
I remember a Nelson Bunker Hunt colt from the early 80's named J.Strap. How about Cold As A Witch's and her filly Titular Feast?

We had a filly in our barn as a yearling by Deputed Testimony out of Perfectly--I wanted to name her Perfect Alibi, or something along that theme, but the owner called her (ugh) She's A Judge.

My old hunter is named Jocko Me Lad, but thankfully goes by the name of his broodmare sire, Mystic.

Oh, and just about anything named by Mike Pegram qualifies for Worst Name distinction--thankfully Real Quiet and Captain Steve were acceptable. But two others have already been mentioned here--Icecoldbeeratreds and Isitingood. Hey, Mike, spaces are a GOOD thing!

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 7, 2002, 04:18 AM
Okay, here they are, in no particular order, the worst names Mike Pegram has ever come up with!Letthebiggatorout
Dactsagator
Personal Slave
Letthecoldbeerflow
No Social Graces
Letthebigcajundoit
Medicine Man Jake
Hezanicecoat
Isitingood
Silverbulletlover
The Beer Runner
Love On The Rail
Toughnightout
Refried Dreams
Imoutofhere
Bigbusesrunlate
Silverbulletman
Zippersup
Returntocynda
Eddiefromalhambra
Givinitback
Commitisize
Hookedonthefeelin
Silverbulletday
Rideintothenight
Laughinanadrinkin
Myfavoritehigh
Pay My Bills
Dealinwiththedevil
Buddynameme
Holdthepickles
Livinfortheweekend

War Admiral
Nov. 7, 2002, 06:00 AM
It's funny how, in my mind anyway, a "bad" name can become a "good" name when the horse is clearly something special. I never had a problem with "Silverbulletday"! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In passing, the funniest "bad" TB name that I've seen was "MorefunthanaCD"... I thought "Well at least they're being honest about it!"

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Reads Forums At Work Clique, Lawn Ornaments For Life Clique, Jigging Clique

Linny
Nov. 7, 2002, 06:31 AM
The mare Winelight produced a bunch of "Jelly Roll" horses. The owner must own a Dunkin Donuts franchise!
Hey Ravyn, where do you ride? I'm in the Albany area too.

Founder of the mighty Thoroughbred Clique!

Resident racing historian

drifting cloud
Nov. 7, 2002, 07:48 AM
This name is really bad. It borders on being pornographic! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'm surprised the Jockey Club let that one go through.

Mike Pegram sure came up with a bunch of doozies on that list!

Alagirl
Nov. 7, 2002, 08:46 AM
It must be a nudy bar....

Note to self:
If ever in the situation, NEVER let Mike Pegram name a horse /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
That would also explain the lack of spaces.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Native Funk
Nov. 7, 2002, 10:09 AM
I ride at Dutch Manor.. but i board my horse at 3 Pines

Native Funk
Nov. 7, 2002, 10:14 AM
I ride at Dutch Manor but i boardmy horse at 3 Pines

~Ravyn

drifting cloud
Nov. 7, 2002, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Spending to much time at the bar<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I noticed the alcohol connection too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I wonder if Mike Pegram used to have Quarter Horses? A couple of those names (Hezanicecoat and Zippersup) sound more like QH names.

carlyanne
Nov. 7, 2002, 12:32 PM
I noticed the alcohol connection as well! I've had two TB's, the first one's name was awful. Helen Our Queen. We called her Equinox. She was an awesome eventer, but didn't race well. The second is Hopaway, which I don't think it bad, until someone say Hopalong instead! Sheesh!

Life is a journey, enjoy it. Riding just makes it better!

FlightCheck
Nov. 7, 2002, 02:42 PM
Me Judge.

Ugh.

I showed him as "Judicial Review".

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 8, 2002, 01:41 PM
Mike Pegram did have QHs, so maybe that's the root of his affliction! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Baffert credits him as the man who convinced him to switch to TBs.

InWhyCee
Nov. 11, 2002, 10:37 AM
Legend is that Pegram saw Baffert in a Las Vegas hotel suite hottub wearing a cowboy hat and two blondes and knew it was destiny... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will." -- Alois Podhajsky

"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony."

Sandy M
Nov. 11, 2002, 01:17 PM
Years ago gal had a very nice blood bay TB mare, registered name "Wiggly Tail."

She called her Embers - a great improvement.

On the plus side, I always thought Stage Door Johnny (Prince John x Peroxide Blond) was a very clever name.

Madeline
Nov. 21, 2002, 09:03 PM
I read all the way through this thread and didn't find my favorite bad name:

Flat Fleet Feet

She was a brilliant 2YO, and I've always believed she was bought by a consortium of track announcers.

madeline
(Owner of Keratoid Devil, an name that surely slipped through durning lunch hour at the JC.)

madeline

Toadie's mom
Nov. 21, 2002, 09:26 PM
My most recent OTTB's registerd name is Grabachek. Which he obviously didn't, or they wouldn't have sold him to me! His new event name is Have A Heart. Which, thankfully, he does.

The Fjord Jockey
Nov. 24, 2002, 02:22 PM
Here's one for ya:

Sexual Harrassment

*J*
The Fjord Jockey
Hukt on Fonics Sukksess.
National Fjord Racing Association (http://www.geocities.com/cirrus_kid/NFRA.html)

"Known for her air-headedness and lack of riding talent, people at first thought Jordan would never make it as a jump jockey. That is, until she invented the 'No-Worries Anti-Falling Saddle Strap'. With this remarkable little piece of equipment, Jordan was able to actually strap herself to a horse, thereby insuring her stability while riding. This did not, however, prevent her from confusing the markers, skipping jumps, and going the wrong way."

Thoroughbred
Nov. 24, 2002, 02:38 PM
Here's a good one: Hubba Hubba Hubba. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I remember when he won a few months ago at Arlington Park, the announcer (John Dooley) sounded rather amused by the name.

I know I've seen plenty more bad ones I haven't mentioned yet, but I can't think of them right now.

[This message was edited by Thoroughbred on Nov. 24, 2002 at 05:51 PM.]

Linny
Nov. 24, 2002, 03:13 PM
There is a standardbred mare named Dominatrix. A few yearsago she raced at Saratoga. There was a guest racecaller who is known for "interesting" calls on duty that night. As Dominatrix drew away to win the call was "Dominatrix feeling the sting of the whip and loving it...drawing away to win"

A horse raced somewhere (Calder?) today named Huminahuminahumina. Years ago there was a mother-daughter combo of Dumtadumtadum and Dumdedumdedum.

Thoroughbred
Nov. 24, 2002, 03:24 PM
This is so weird! I just came across a photo of Flat Fleet Feet! I wasn't looking for it, I was just looking at Keeneland photos on Horsephotos.com, and there it was! Here's the link: http://www.horsephotos.com/Photoimages/2002/11/4/flatfleetfeet05_jd.jpg Here's another one: http://www.horsephotos.com/Photoimages/2002/11/3/flatfleetfeet04_jd.jpg

Oh, thanks for reminding me about Huminahuminahumina! I saw that horse in the list of entries (yes, it was Calder), but never actually saw the race.

fleur
Nov. 24, 2002, 03:51 PM
Yuck! I think some BBers have seen him run /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

*EMMA*

Linny
Nov. 24, 2002, 03:58 PM
Huminahuminahumina ran third

Thoroughbred
Nov. 24, 2002, 07:26 PM
Here's a few more: Hunka Hunka Lori Z, Chicken Soup Kid, Hell Cat, Mushroom Countess, Knucklehead.

[This message was edited by Thoroughbred on Nov. 27, 2002 at 12:49 PM.]

gahawkeye
Nov. 30, 2002, 12:01 PM
I bought an OTTB who had had her name changed from MISS PELLED to ELLIE'S DREAM. You think if they were going to bother to change it they would come up with something bettert than that.

Thoroughbred
Nov. 30, 2002, 06:05 PM
I actually don't see anything wrong with Ellie's Dream... I mean, if your name is Ellie, and this is your dream horse, there's no problem with naming her Ellie's Dream. There's a racehorse named My Sweet Lucy, owned by a man whose wife's name is, well, you guessed it, Lucy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah, I just saw this horse recently: Youmakemethorbaby. Maybe I'm just having a dumb moment, but this name doesn't make any sense to me. Does anyone have any idea what it's supposed to mean??

WessyBessy
Dec. 5, 2002, 08:48 PM
My tb gelding was not remembered for his speed but his name, WetWang. I showed him under that name. Many of our friends didn't want to be seen with us as our names were being announced. The gate crew still remembered working with him 15 years later. My blacksmith loves telling all his other clients about this horse he used to work on. Not a great race horse, but a great friend and hunter for years. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ainsley
Dec. 8, 2002, 07:11 PM
We have/had 3 brood mares with what we always thought were terrible names: Squeek It Thru, Lady Clausewitz and Regeness.
After reading some of the names posted here, I don't think they were so bad after all!! Thanks everyone for the ego boost /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I also used to work at a farm where one of the broodmares was called Kinetigal. One of her colts was named Notagal. Unfortunately, Notagal got loose one day and ran smack dab into the side of a transport truck doing 60 Mph. Needless to say, Notagal is now Notaround!

DMK
Dec. 9, 2002, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ainsley:
I also used to work at a farm where one of the broodmares was called Kinetigal. One of her colts was named Notagal. Unfortunately, Notagal got loose one day and ran smack dab into the side of a transport truck doing 60 Mph. Needless to say, Notagal is now Notaround!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had a mare called Adastory (Advocator bred), who had twins (filly and a colt). We tried to register them as "Adaguy" and "Adagal." One of the names was taken and IIRC, it was Adagal. Makes me wonder if the owners of Kinetagal got it for one of her other fillies!

But every time I read the papers, that old feeling comes on;
We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy, and the big fool says to push on.
Pete Seeger

Justbay
Dec. 10, 2002, 07:31 AM
I recently had a pedigree sent to me for a hunter broodmare that used to race.

Her JC registered name was Spring Madness out of THIS IS INSANE.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dickey
Dec. 10, 2002, 10:13 AM
Thoroughbred:

"Oh yeah, I just saw this horse recently: Youmakemethorbaby. Maybe I'm just having a dumb moment, but this name doesn't make any sense to me. Does anyone have any idea what it's supposed to mean??

Maybe "You make Me Sore Baby" and I'm just deprived enough to read something sexual in there, hopefully I'm completely wrong, but it's just an idea!

Claudius
Dec. 10, 2002, 07:23 PM
....and then there was "Eight Smooth Feet" by Octopus, and "Toes Out Bad"...the colt did toe out bad!....and "Bob's Brother ,Chip" , a brother to a good horse with "Bob" in his name...they bought the former at a sale, found out he had a chip in his knee, thus, "Bob's Brother,Chip"!!!

Kinsella
Dec. 10, 2002, 08:12 PM
Just have to add my new(ish) broodmare's name... Herb's Special... Ugh. By Grand Revival out of Herb's Delightful. Amusingly enough she is bred to a paint stallion named Dam Straight. Can everyone guess what I'm naming the foal? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"Every day is a great day for hockey." - Mario Lemieux

Thoroughbred
Dec. 10, 2002, 08:30 PM
Kinsella, what are you going to name the foal? Dam Special, maybe?

As for Youmakemethorbaby, I just recently saw "Thor" as a name, in a name book, it means "thunder". So the name still doesn't make sense. But if it was inspired by Mike Pegram, then chances are it probably does have some slutty meaning... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Which reminds me of another bad name I saw recently, Little Hottie. (I once knew someone who wore shirts and jackets that said "hottie", and she was the most perverted, obnoxious thing I've ever had the misfortune of knowing.) Coincidentally, though, if I were the kind of person that likes to use that word, I might say that name is an appropriate description of this horse's jockey... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Thoroughbred on Dec. 11, 2002 at 10:19 AM.]

Vasagi
Jan. 5, 2003, 01:56 AM
Here in New Zealand we have had a few bad ones too, two that spring to mind are Pistol Knight and Richard Cranium.

Thoroughbred
Jan. 5, 2003, 03:29 PM
Here's another doozy - Holy Burrito.

horsepowerco
Jan. 5, 2003, 04:46 PM
I had a gelding years ago who was a stakes horse...real speedball and at one time was in D. Waynes barn (long before I owned him)"ONE Never Nose" and then at a farm I worked at (where One never Nose was owned) we had Kellybarrthedoor hes was the biggest wuss!

FairWeather
Jan. 5, 2003, 06:09 PM
Sofa King...thats my fave http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

However, i've seen squirrel toothed alice???,
stinkin lou (a CANTER horse) Hesapest (CANTER horse)

LAZ
Jan. 5, 2003, 07:52 PM
I saw One Never Nose--he was ridden by an FEI judge from MI (?), but I can't remember her name. He was quite successful as a dressage horse after racing.

I always liked his name!

horsepowerco
Jan. 6, 2003, 10:29 AM
HOLY CROW...yes Laz he was with Susan E Harris for a few years off and on...she was from the Mi area and then moved to Fl. He was a very successful race horse earning $300,000 the hard way. WOW what a small world. I rode him to 3rd level which was easy since the training was already there. besides I needed all of the help I could get. he was a Saint! I miss that old horse.

Lord Helpus
Jan. 12, 2003, 09:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandy M:
On the plus side, I always thought Stage Door Johnny (Prince John x Peroxide Blond) was a very clever name.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and Stage Door Johnny sired a foal out of "Out You Go".

the foal was named ----- Out Door Johnny

And I have not read all of the posts yet, but my vote for current runner with a bad name (other than Spinelessjellyfish which is so bad that it is in a class by itself) is -- WalksLike ADuck...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm an organ donor. Are you?

drifting cloud
Jan. 12, 2003, 12:57 PM
I don't think this name is racing related, but yesterday I saw an ad for a Paint filly whose father (or grandfather?) was named Gay Bar King!!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

War Admiral
Jan. 12, 2003, 01:13 PM
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I am speechless! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BTW does anybody else besides me come absolutely RUSHING over here to Racing every time this thread gets bumped? Always wanting more sordid dark secrets of the TB world I guess!

LaurieB
Jan. 12, 2003, 02:14 PM
There was a mare who was in the sale at Keeneland last week with the unfortunate name of FLYING GALOSHES. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Toadie's mom
Jan. 12, 2003, 05:27 PM
Lizviola- I'm with you. When I see an additional post here, I jump right on it!
Drifting Cloud- Gay Bar King is a very well known QH sire. YUK!
There was a yearling at the Fasig-Tipton sale last month at LoneStar named Knucklehead. That was such a shame considering he didn't have to be named yet to be registered and now the new owners will have to pay to have his name changed. Oh gawd.....what if they don't?!!!

lotsospots
Jan. 12, 2003, 06:37 PM
har har - I loff refried dreams!
My friend refuses to use her horses JC name at shows - in second place is Jennifer _____ riding A Large Bonus... think about it, muffled over a loudspeaker...
Worst QH name I heard [there are a lot] -
Some Girls Wiggle. ugh.

Alagirl
Jan. 12, 2003, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandy M:
On the plus side, I always thought Stage Door Johnny (Prince John x Peroxide Blond) was a very clever name.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and Stage Door Johnny sired a foal out of "Out You Go".

the foal was named ----- Out Door Johnny

And I have not read all of the posts yet, but my vote for current runner with a bad name (other than Spinelessjellyfish which is so bad that it is in a class by itself) is -- WalksLike ADuck...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm an organ donor. Are you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, at least they didn't name it *Out House Johnny*
http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Charlotte
Jan. 12, 2003, 08:15 PM
what about "bob's your uncle" ???

Charlotte

FairWeather
Jan. 13, 2003, 08:55 AM
Bob's your uncle was shipped over here by my huntsman! He's so cool! *(the horse!)

2ndyrgal
Jan. 17, 2003, 06:39 PM
When I was in my early 20's I used to groom a horse named
"Nip Pulls". My nickname for months after was Nip Pulls II. Need I say more?

Thoroughbred
Jan. 17, 2003, 07:35 PM
How can there be another Knucklehead?? There already is one, in fact he just won a race recently at Turfway.

Spinelessjellyfish was the horse on whom Chris McCarron won his 7,00th race - too bad he couldn't have reached that milestone on a horse with a nicer name!

Along those same lines, recently-retired Eddie Delahoussaye reached the 6,000-win plateau on a horse named Sweetcakesandshakes.

[This message was edited by Thoroughbred on Jan. 17, 2003 at 10:46 PM.]

Hunter88
Feb. 8, 2003, 03:50 PM
I once saw a horse named Bye BYe Babye Goodbye... kinda hard to say. My mare's registered QH name is Spitten Nails which is totally not like her as she s very mare-ish. Spring the Gate was another racer I knew... and Diamond Dust (pretty corny!)and.... Book of Knowledge

Whoever said Money couldn't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse

ColorPlease
Feb. 8, 2003, 05:17 PM
I know someone who named a filly Hot Box. Poor thing. I don't think she ever won a race; probably too embarassed.

boobada
Feb. 8, 2003, 11:07 PM
Not sure if someone alreadY mentioned this one but....

Hoof Hearted = Who farted?

Now that's funny! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif ...I mean, how immature! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Rusty Stirrup
Feb. 9, 2003, 04:43 AM
I used to rub a horse named "Trojan Shield". Being young and stupid (not knowing what trojans were) I used to wonder why some people would giggle when they heard his name. Funny thing is he went on to breed jumpers up in Canada or somewhere.

Ride on! Rusty Stirrup

NancyC
Feb. 9, 2003, 06:01 AM
I had a OTTB named Devil's Child. I changed her name to Secret Story and called her Tori. When I sold her I didn't tell the new owner's her registered name until I gave them the papers. She was a great horse...but what was she like as a foal? She was very slow on the track. WOn less than $10,000.

cags5
Feb. 9, 2003, 01:24 PM
My favorites were some local horses here in Boston..they raced at Suffolk and the Rock..

Chubby
Chubette
Chubby Hubby

-=Liz=-
http://www.TBGreats.com
http://www.TBGreats.com/pics/

Thoroughbred
Feb. 9, 2003, 07:04 PM
Here's another name: Onion, one of the very few horses to beat Secretariat.

And a few other goodies: My Friend Lumpy, Dealinwithinsanity, Runnin Smashed, Reynoldsrap, Que Guapo, Excessivepleasure (a Mike Pegram creation - has to mean something slutty). I'm so annoyed, I keep remembering a real doozy of a name, but I always forget it by the time I'm able to go online!

And is Miss Terrible an awful name or what?? BTW, she just worked three-eighths in 37 seconds for her new trainer Bobby Frankel.

Linny
Feb. 9, 2003, 07:09 PM
Isn't Miss Terrible the South American superstar that Frankel just got? I can't wait to see her.

Toadie's mom
Feb. 9, 2003, 07:17 PM
Hey Thoroughbred, I guess the Knucklehead I saw at the sale must have been a pending name. Or maybe they spelled it a little different, can't remember.
Now here's a very clever name. As some may know on the BB I'm looking for a new broodmare. Just got info. on another Darn That Alarm mare named Rude Awakening. I think that is so cool. She's a little out of my price range, but the name has to be worth something!

Thoroughbred
Feb. 9, 2003, 07:32 PM
Yes, that's the Miss Terrible! I'm so excited about her! She's like Argentina's version of Azeri, only on the turf.

I heard that she shouldn't race at the current Santa Anita meet, because South American horses need 4-5 months in North America before they can race with any real chance of success. By the way, remember that if her workout times are slow, that's Frankel's style. And, don't be tempted to jump off her bandwagon if she loses her U.S. debut - keep in mind that Gentlemen was 6th in his first start in North America. However, has Frankel trained any South American imports before? He doesn't seem to be known for them like Ron McAnally or Richard Mandella, and they can be difficult to handle because their training is so different back home below the equator.

Linny
Feb. 9, 2003, 08:05 PM
Most of the trainers who work with So. American imports say that you have to be patient with them to get to their talent. They can have wild attitudes. I trust Frankel to get the best of her. I usually get to chat with him at Saratoga each year. He told me about Empire Maker last July. If she's a turfer she'll likely stay in Cali and not come to NY. He brought Starine to NY in '01 and we got quite a show!

Thoroughbred
Feb. 10, 2003, 09:21 AM
I've sensed that about the South American horses, and what doesn't help North American trainers in handling them in the States is that, at least in Argentina, saddles are only used for fast workouts. The rest of the time - for jogging, galloping, etc. - they just wear a bareback pad. So I can just imagine an inexperienced, unsuspecting trainer putting a saddle on a high-strung Argentine import and expecting his equally naive exercise rider to go for a slow, easy gallop... Ha! Fortunately, this should not happen in a barn like Frankel's.

Linny
Feb. 10, 2003, 09:33 AM
Frankel has the best exercise riders in the US. They have clocks in their heads and are used to dealing with exceptional stock.

Zevida
Feb. 10, 2003, 12:30 PM
Frankel trained Lido Palace and I'm sure there is at least another South American import or two he's been in charge of.

As for Miss Terrible, I love her name. It just rings the right way in my head I suppose!

Thoroughbred
Feb. 11, 2003, 10:58 AM
Ah, that's right, I forgot that Frankel trains Lido Palace, thanks for reminding me. And I sure hope his exercise riders are good, at least better than Bob Baffert's! I think they broke War Emblem's spirit, if you ask me. If this sparks controversy, though, it'll have to be taken to another thread.

Oh yeah, and how's Rolly Polly as a great name for a racehorse? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif And did I mention Chicken Dinner before?

Southern Sister
Feb. 11, 2003, 11:26 AM
We had an OTTB registered as "Doctor Doom"!! I believe he won a few races up around St. Louis. We should have put more thought into buying a horse with that name, because he was a spitfire in the ring. He would hear that buzzer (in the jumper ring), rear, and take off. My 100 lb. sis just couldn't hold him. He would leave stides out all the time and he had the worst jump...we called him the gazelle because his head would be straight up in the hair, back flat, knees careless, etc. He is now much happier doing dressage!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"Riding- the art of keeping a horse between yourself & the ground"
**Co-founder of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**

Linny
Feb. 11, 2003, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine raced ahorse named Doctor Disaster. He was a nice horse, he won some races in NY.

Painted Joe
Feb. 13, 2003, 07:54 PM
How's about these names:

I knew a TB horse named Babyneedsnewshoes

and AQHA gelding named Flitz Bell Star

Thoroughbred
Feb. 14, 2003, 07:20 AM
Horrible Evening, Thick Headed, Fresh Broccoli.

[This message was edited by Thoroughbred on Feb. 14, 2003 at 10:31 AM.]