PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Flap Length, How Long?

Mad Mare
May. 3, 2012, 10:00 AM
So, how long should the flap length be on a dressage saddle? I heard mid-calf, but I can't find any references on line.

Thanks
Eileen

Dressage.For.Life.
May. 3, 2012, 10:35 AM
I think I've read on here before that there's no reason for them to be any longer than they need to be (eg. long enough that the tops of your boots don't catch on the flap).

I went with "short" flaps on the County I just recently ordered (current saddle is just a Prestige w/ 17 1/2" flaps that comes around mid-calf (http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/AMW2/Vinnie/1Screenshot2012-04-20at40429PM.png)). I figured that with going with the shorter flap, I'd be better able to use my calf correctly as I'll have more of it on the horse.

Mad Mare
May. 3, 2012, 02:31 PM
I think I've read on here before that there's no reason for them to be any longer than they need to be (eg. long enough that the tops of your boots don't catch on the flap).

The flaps on my Duett dressage almost go down to my ankles :) It looks rather silly, IMO.

I went with "short" flaps on the County I just recently ordered (current saddle is just a Prestige w/ 17 1/2" flaps that comes around mid-calf (http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/AMW2/Vinnie/1Screenshot2012-04-20at40429PM.png)). I figured that with going with the shorter flap, I'd be better able to use my calf correctly as I'll have more of it on the horse.

I ordered short flaps for my Ansur and they are a great length, unfortunately I need to switch saddles. Not working out so well for the mare. She does go best in a Duett, but they don't have an option for short flaps. Last time I took a saddle in for that kind of work (knee blocks reduced) it got butchered.

Eileen

Velvet
May. 3, 2012, 02:45 PM

Exactly my feeling. The uber long ones just get in the way. I like that nice feel of the horse's side next to my calf.

joiedevie99
May. 3, 2012, 02:48 PM
Mid-calf is the standard answer, but I too prefer shorter. When I got my Custom Saddlery Everest, I got the shortest flap that I could ride in without catching my boots.

FLeventer
May. 3, 2012, 06:38 PM
I would not be able to find a saddle that went to my mid calf. I have a long flap and it is quite above my boots. I have pretty long legs though. I would hate to have the material there, not close enough to my horse.

lwk
May. 3, 2012, 07:51 PM
Be sure they are long enough that they don't catch the top of your boots when you stretch your leg down! If that happens, it is a painful pinch.

mvp
May. 3, 2012, 09:11 PM
Short. How do I know?

Look at Tall German Olympic Guys. They don't have no stinkin' mid-calf saddle. I wannabe the Short Ammy Girl who looks like Tall German Olympic Guy, so I'll insist on a short flap.

CHT
May. 4, 2012, 12:26 AM
Mine comes down my calf less than one third of the way.

Mad Mare
May. 4, 2012, 03:01 AM
Sigh. It's really, really, REALLY annoying that the one saddle maker that I would prefer to buy from does not have the option of making a custom saddle with a shorter flap.

They said that in all the years they had been in the business, they had never had a request for that.

C'mon, gimme a break! I've seen other people riding in these saddles, not just myself, and the flaps are hanging down to their ankles, too.

Grumbles!
Eileen