PDA

View Full Version : The Taming of Totilas vol. 2 is out: Thought-provoking!

Touchstone Farm
May. 2, 2012, 10:58 PM
"Volume 2" is out, and I really enjoyed the discussion about the "modern" training system and the "classical." Think I'll stick to the classical system, but you be the judge. Besides, for me it was another opportunity to watch Steffen Peters on Ravel and Laura B on Mistral...two of my favorite horse/rider partnerships. And I do mean, partnerships.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5_V8nvCmig

SaddleFitterVA
May. 3, 2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the link. This one seems much more balanced, less like a MR bash, since it is going over multiple riders.

I haven't had time to watch all of it yet, but I stayed up way too late watching half.

candico
May. 3, 2012, 10:49 PM
Loved it! Please keep doing more like this. Although they are obviously anti-Sjef, it is not the witch hunt that so often occurs and the analysis of what is not liked is well articulated without necessarily throwing the baby out with the bath water. They hint that the Dutch system "may" work with certain types of hip movers in particular, and for certain riders such as Edward with Toto...
I've never cared for Adelinda's riding style, but a small part of me wants to give her credit for what she has accomplished with what looks to be an incredibly big, strong horse and wonder if someone with more heft in the seat could have the horse be easier in the bridle. It is much like how I preferred Anky on Bonfire and Painted Black as Salinero always makes it look like she is trying to control a bullet train.
Loved that they addressed that the general public wants to see a great partnership rewarded as with Juan and Fuego. Perhaps a new score plus coefficient can be added to reward that one day. Also that they recognize Steffen's incredible talent with horses that also results in great partnership.
Would love to see them analyze Blitz with Paragon as I see her as having a more forward balanced seat yet able to make this giant chestnut easy to maneuver. Also Charlotte with Valegro and even Debbie with Brentina to see how different body types ride effectively. Although Debbie is classically trained, I don't remember her so visibly half halting which I understand is to promote self carriage, but is better to me when you can't hardly even see it.
Only wish perhaps they could replace the American guy with somebody who either has better input to add... Like a judge?