PDA

View Full Version : Hunter/Jumper trainers in Atlanta area??

Judi
Dec. 14, 2002, 01:59 PM
Well I might be relocated to Atlanta by end of next year.... Anyone know of good Hunter/Jumper trainers around the Atlanta area? Also what is the best area to live in nearest Atlanta for horses?

thanks

Judi
Dec. 14, 2002, 01:59 PM
Well I might be relocated to Atlanta by end of next year.... Anyone know of good Hunter/Jumper trainers around the Atlanta area? Also what is the best area to live in nearest Atlanta for horses?

thanks

PlusTax
Dec. 14, 2002, 02:16 PM
If you want to live near horses, I suggest Alpheretta. It's about a 30-45 minute drive to downtown but that's where most of the good barns are! I rode with Sunny Stevens at Stevehaven Stables and I really liked her. She's in Cumming GA which is about 15 minutes from Alpheretta and an hour from downtown (where I live /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) She goes to all the big A shows and is gone a lot, if you want a trainer that does more local stuff I suggest Janet Salem /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif There are a lot of other good trainers I just don't know much about them /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

http://community.webshots.com/user/jrhntrpavi

Wanna-Be
Dec. 14, 2002, 02:46 PM
Well, I live here in Cumming, Ga. Alpharetta and Cumming are the up and coming horse world...lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.
Sunny is a very good trainer, especially for equitation riders. I have just currently looked all over Cumming and Alpharetta for barns. I have tried tons of trainers. After many disappointing tries, I found Jamie Comstock of Shadowbrook Farms.I was reluctant to go see him, but everyone I talked to about who to ride with, told me about Jamie, and encouraged me to ride with him. He is truly one of the best trianers here, he just hasn't had the clients to "make him known". Jamie was a big name up in Long Isalnd, New York, and is a newer trainer around our area. He is amazing, and his training methods are phenominal!!! He is really hoping for some serious showing riders, but he will do all the locals, too. He currently only has 2 of us that have serious goals, and we both have greenies. I would suggest you look at Jamie and Sunny. There are a couple good trainers, and I think I could tell you who to avoid more than I could tell you who to ride with /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I would love to share more about Jamie, and antime you want to ask, type away! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
*Shauna*

Madison
Dec. 14, 2002, 04:17 PM
Who would be the best trainer for you will depend on what your needs are - there are tons of Atlanta people on the board, so you will likely get plenty of suggestions. Perhaps if you could provide more details, we could give you more help. For example, I and a couple of others on the board ride with Jenny Gelb, who is a wonderful trainer, but if you need a school horse that you could show, or you want to do primarily A shows rather than the larger locals with the occasional A, she would not be the right choice for you. But, if you had a younger or more inexperienced horse that needs training rides, she would be great.

I've seen a lot of variation in methods/approaches of the trainers in the Atlanta area (even among the trainers listed in the posts so far), so I'd suggest trying out a few before settling on one. Alpharetta is definitely the area to be in for lots of choices, though there are a few barns in the Canton area as well. I live intown and commute to the barn, and there are days I just can't go because the traffic is so bad going north.

You can also check out the Trainer Directory on the Georgia Hunter Jumper Association website www.ghja.org, (http://www.ghja.org,) or if it is not on there, email them from the website and they will send you a copy.

[This message was edited by GreyMareMom on Dec. 14, 2002 at 07:26 PM.]

Just My Style
Dec. 14, 2002, 04:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You can also check out the Trainer Directory on the Georgia Hunter Jumper Association website www.ghja.org, (http://www.ghja.org,) or if it is not on there, email them from the website and they will send you a copy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You beat me to it!

Judi-Visit the site or email and I will help you out.

GreyMareMom- See you at the Christmas party.

"I never met a donut that I didn't like."

Madison
Dec. 14, 2002, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cashmere:
You beat me to it!

Judi-Visit the site or email and I will help you out.

GreyMareMom- See you at the Christmas party.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, see you there!!

Judi, Cashmere is our ever-patient GHJA secretary, so she's the source for the GHJA info!

vxf111
Dec. 14, 2002, 04:56 PM
I echo those above who say you've got a lot of choice out here and most of it is in Alpharetta. I'm at Little Creek in town (one of just about the only 2 places in town) and I ride with John Abbott. I can't say enough good things about him. Little Creek is NOT fancy but it's well run and the people are very nice. You're welcome to email me regarding finding a barn. I've been to quite a few barns in Alpharetta and did the local shows, so I can tell you a little bit about most of the places (and a lot about some, I've had my horse at 2 barns in Atlanta). Welcome, you're going to LOVE Atlanta!

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"

~SC~
Dec. 14, 2002, 05:51 PM
I've ridden with many different trainers in the Atlanta area, and you're welcome to e-mail me at TooSassy84@aol.com if you want more info.

It really depends what you're looking for. If you want to go to all the bigger "A" shows, there are really only a few trainers: Sunny Stevens, Hunt Tosh, Havens Schatt, and several others. Alot of them like Hunt and Havens, are always on the road, so they would be better if you want someone to meet up with at shows.

There are tons of good local trainers, Janet Salem being my personal favorite. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~Junior Clique~ Buckle Bunnies /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PlusTax
Dec. 14, 2002, 08:33 PM
Veronica

You ride at Little Creek?!?!?!?! I'm Pavi's old mom /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif John bought her from us last summer but she has been there for about 4 years. How long have you been riding there?? I was there all the time last summer because my best friend worked/rode there so I would always go meet her then go to North Dekalb /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

Beethoven
Dec. 14, 2002, 09:26 PM
Sunny is a great trainer!! She is my current trainer and she is great! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif She does the "A"shows and is good if you want to do that, but I agree with everyone else in that if you want to go to local shows, you should train with Janet Salem( I did for 3 years /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. She is also a great trainer!

~Jenna & Beethoven~
Proud Member of the Thoroughbred Clique & the Children's Jumpers Clique & the GA Clique & TS Clique "We ride and never worry about the fall, I guess thats just the cowboy in us all" ~Tim MaGraw

Rosalie
Dec. 14, 2002, 09:27 PM
where is alpharetta in relation to emory? just looking ahead for college years.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

george bush says nucular instead of nuclear and it really bugs me

vxf111
Dec. 14, 2002, 09:30 PM
Pavi is the sweetest thing on 4 legs (well, not to the other horses--- but to people). I saw your photos of you riding her, you looked like a great team. Pavi is brilliant over the fences... and so put together for a school horse.

I moved to little Creek in October and I love it. It's only 7 minutes from my house, 5 if I drive fast! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It's worth it for the driving time alone... but I also happen to really like John. If you drop by, my horse is on the same side as Pavi but on the other side of the wash stall. He's sorrel with a white face and flaxen mane and tail and his name is Stoney. Are you still in Atlanta?

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"

vxf111
Dec. 14, 2002, 09:33 PM
Kelsey D, who is your friend?

JrHunterLuver, Emory is in the Atlanta/ Decatur area. Alpharetta is a good 45 minutes away-- more if you're anywhere NEAR rush hour. Sometimes it took me 1 hour 15 minutes to get from Exit 2 (Lenox) to Exit 11 (Windward Parkway).If you're thinking about Emory I highly recommend thinking about either Little Creek, Chastain (which I've never seen and can't comment on), Voight (sp) on Houston Mill Rd (maybe 2 minutes from Emory, if that), or no farther up GA 400 than Exit 5-6/ Sandy Springish area. Unless you like road rage. Seriously!

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"

Judi
Dec. 14, 2002, 09:40 PM
I'm a Marketing Executive for EarthLink so I fly to Atlanta once a month. I oversee a team of about 60 creative's and it looks like they'll probably be moving my team by end of next year. I currently ride with an "A" trainer in LA named Randy Durand at New Haven Farm. He's really great but I looked at his schedule next year and he's hardly ever going to be home with all the shows. I usually can afford one show a month but he's usually at 2 to 3 a month.

I've been doing the Hunters/Eq. but am moving into Eq and Jumpers starting January.. (That is if I can remember those jumper courses...LOL) It's always the extra added fences of the jump off that throw me...

Want to go to "A" shows about 4 to 5 times a year and "B" shows the rest of the months... the old pocket book can't take much else.

I have a new 7yo Dutch Warmblood who has a lot of jump (I just posted recently how he jumped out of our 6 foot turn out arena that has solid wood walls)... He's very fearless and I've finally found the right horse to do the jumpers with. Sounds like there are so many options in Atlanta area which is really comforting... We'll also be looking for a house as well so thank you for the wonderful input as far as area's.

Sounds like there are a lot of very friendly folk in Atlanta... You've all made me feel a lot better about the potential move. I've lived in California all my life.. so it's a HUGE move for me.

When it gets closer I'll be asking for your advice... once I find out where we end up buying... Maybe on my monthly trips I can come visit of few of the barns.. Thanks for the help everyone.

: )

Policy of Truth
Dec. 14, 2002, 09:48 PM
Pierre Belanger is a WONDERFUL trainer, has trained numerous medal and maclay riders, and is the most gentle trainer with the horses!

Luckyduck is the barn manager....she is also my best friend, but that's not why I'm recommending their barn. I can't say enough about how well that barn is managed and how wonderful Pierre and Nicole both are.

I believe the barn is located just off of Roswell Hwy...in the Huntcliff subdivision (which has beautiful homes and a nice clubhouse set on the Chatahoochie (sp??) River.

EM luckyduck at westwindfarm1@aol.com

PlusTax
Dec. 14, 2002, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vxf111:
Kelsey D, who is your friend?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elizabeth Gleim, she has a horse named Otto but he's at college with her now! Her sister's horse is TJ and he's still there as far as I know /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I'm so glad you like Pavi!! She is such a sweetie, have you seen her kisses trick?? If not you'll have to get John to show you!! She loves Little Creek though, she had gotten so ring sour that I basically couldn't ride her and she used to buck me off all the time! Then after I moved her there and she started getting 8 hours of turnout every day she has become a completly different horse! I think she loves her job now and I'm so happy that everyone loves her /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I still live in Atlanta but I'm in college. I live in Druid Hills so it's really close to the barn, I'm sure I'll come out and visit sometime over my christmas break so maybe I'll meet you! I'll be sure to look for your horse!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

CTM
Dec. 15, 2002, 05:38 AM
For jumpers and Eq (are you doing adult Eq?) Sunny Stevens at Stevehaven would be a great choice. She is on the road quite a bit though. Another less well known name in Atlanta who is great for jumpers and EQ is Heather Steinman. She herself competes in the jumpers and has a strong dressage background (she just had a baby so she's not riding too much at the moment). She's also great if you need a pro to get on your horse. She does a mix of a circuit called PSJ (Progressive Show Jumping - they have a website - PSJShows.com)which is probably the closest thing to a 'B' show in the S'east and close by 'A's. We only have 'A' and unrated local here. Take you time and talk to a lot of people before you make a decision - there are a lot of choices here, each with their own unique style.

vxf111
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:22 AM
Where is Huntcliff? When I moved to Atlanta I spent (no joke) 2 HOURS driving around looking for that place and never found it. Where exactly is it?

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"

Madison
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Judi:
I've been doing the Hunters/Eq. but am moving into Eq and Jumpers starting January.. (That is if I can remember those jumper courses...LOL) It's always the extra added fences of the jump off that throw me...

Want to go to "A" shows about 4 to 5 times a year and "B" shows the rest of the months... the old pocket book can't take much else.

Sounds like there are a lot of very friendly folk in Atlanta... You've all made me feel a lot better about the potential move. I've lived in California all my life.. so it's a HUGE move for me.

: )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad we made you feel better - that would definitely be a huge move. You will find plenty of Southern hospitality and a great horsey-community!! You will definitely be able to find a good fit for your needs and show schedule. My trainer, Jenny Gelb (Hunters Glen/Ivy Manor Farm), has a good group of jumper & eq. riders, as well as a nice group of adults. One of the things I like best is that she is a great rider as well if you are looking for someone who can not only teach but hop on and train or tune-up. That's one big difference I've seen among the trainers around here is that some ride, and some don't, and of the ones that ride, I like the way some of them ride, and don't necessarily like they way some of the others do, so that is one more thing you may want to add to your list to help you decide!! Good luck!

Wanna-Be
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:49 AM
That is so true what GreyMareMom said....it would be good to come down and watch some shows, watch the way the trainers work their horses/students. I honestly have to say, you will just have to come check everything yourself. We all give good suggestions, but we are based about our trainers...why would we be with them if we weren't? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif There are so many down here, and so many with different and great qualities, that it may be a hard decision for you, but I can assure you that you will probably be happy with whoever you find! I hope we can help you make this move easier, and good luck!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
*Shauna*

War Admiral
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:58 AM
In fact you will pretty much be spoiled for choice! Alpharetta/Cumming is pretty much the "happening" location - but the commute is a major drag and there are also plenty of competent trainers & good barns elsewhere. I would definitely shop around - the most important thing is to find a trainer who suits your needs and your horse's. Whoever suggested going to some locals and scoping out what's happening in the warmup ring had a great idea.

Oh and BTW can you get me a job? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Wanna-Be
Dec. 15, 2002, 07:00 AM
GrayMareMom...I have been dying to ask!!!
Is your mare Madison Avenue...or Nautia originally? Excuse me if I am wrong, but she looks so fimiliar to a horse that was at our barn, and that competes at the shows we go to. Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
*Shauna*

Anne
Dec. 15, 2002, 07:41 AM
"Elizabeth Gleim, she has a horse named Otto but he's at college with her now! Her sister's horse is TJ and he's still there as far as I know."

LOL what a small world! Elizabeth Gleim goes to my school, although I don't know her very well! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Custom Needlepoint Belts (http://www.freewebs.com/belts)

DMK
Dec. 15, 2002, 08:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Judi:
I'm a Marketing Executive for EarthLink so I fly to Atlanta once a month. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to work in that building (and in the Vinings - neatest town in Atlanta, if not one of the wealthiest!). Good news, if you live in Alpharetta, you will only have the Nightmare That Is GA400 to deal with - you go against the traffic flow once you hit 285. If you choose Marietta (technically closer) you should be forewarned to try the commute. I used to cry for the folks backed up on 285 to get on 75! Back when I first moved here ('96) the commute was around 35 minutes to the Vinings. Last time I made it, it had crawled up to about 50 minutes. But if you are from anywhere near Southern CA that should be refereshingly light!

As for trainers, there are lots of options and I echo what Tallyrand said - do your research! Also, and this is coming from the perspective of a person who moved here from South Florida where you practically trip over World Cup riders, so take it with a grain of salt: the selection of higher level trainers is somewhat limited. It seems that many people who show exclusively on the A circuit do not ride with an Atlanta based trainer. Before Atlantans start flaming me, that isn't a judgement - that is an observation! Go to a show where you know that there are not any Atlanta based trainers, and you would be surprised how many times you hear the rider's home town announced as somewhere around here! Not that I haven't contributed to the phenomenom... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As others have pointed out, there are no B or C shows around here. Strictly A or local rated (it must be a GA thing but damned if I understand it). And there is a big gap between the A's and locals (as there should be). The good news is there are lots of smaller A shows in the Carolinas and Tennessee, all which make for a nice weekend. And we have Bob Bell (Classic Company) - who puts on the best shows (IMHO). And you have not one, but THREE winter circuits to choose from (WEF, HITS, Gulfport). But nicest of all - and I suspect you will appreciate this - you can easily go to lots of states for different horse shows. I suspect CA is a lot like FL, where leaving the state automatically means 700 miles to the first out of state horse show.

But every time I read the papers, that old feeling comes on;
We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy, and the big fool says to push on.
Pete Seeger

Madison
Dec. 15, 2002, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *EqSuperStar*:
GrayMareMom...I have been dying to ask!!!
Is your mare Madison Avenue...or Nautia originally? Excuse me if I am wrong, but she looks so fimiliar to a horse that was at our barn, and that competes at the shows we go to. Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
*Shauna*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that is my horse - her name was Nadia when she was at your barn last fall (Jamie was selling her for a woman in Boston). I renamed her Madison and show her as Madison Avenue.

Have I seen you at the shows? What is your horse's show name and what divisions did you go in?

PlusTax
Dec. 15, 2002, 09:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anne:
"Elizabeth Gleim, she has a horse named Otto but he's at college with her now! Her sister's horse is TJ and he's still there as far as I know."

LOL what a small world! Elizabeth Gleim goes to my school, although I don't know her very well! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.freewebs.com/belts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, really?!?! It is a small world!! So are you firends with her?? We've been best friends forever, I thought about going to Hollins just so we could go to the same school /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

Anne
Dec. 15, 2002, 10:08 AM
I know I have seen her around, and I have seen her horse at our barn I think, but I am a very busy senior and she is a first year, so I have not had classes with her or anything. I will look around for her on campus during January term and try to get to know her! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Custom Needlepoint Belts (http://www.freewebs.com/belts)

Beethoven
Dec. 15, 2002, 10:18 AM
I agree with Tallyrand that Sunny is a great Jumper and Eq trainer and Hunter too. She is great for all of them! I moved to her recently, so that I could do the Jumpers and Eq and it has been great!! She is an awesome trainer, but as others have said I am biased toward her becasue she is my trainer /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif!!

Kelsey,
I am glad to hear that Pavi is doing well!!

BTW, What ever happened to Jake?

~Jenna & Beethoven~
Proud Member of the Thoroughbred Clique & the Children's Jumpers Clique & the GA Clique & TS Clique "We ride and never worry about the fall, I guess thats just the cowboy in us all" ~Tim MaGraw

~SC~
Dec. 15, 2002, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:

It seems that many people who show exclusively on the A circuit do not ride with an Atlanta based trainer. Before Atlantans start flaming me, that isn't a judgement - that is an observation! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with you DMK. When I was thinking about switching trainers last spring, only one of them was from GA (and I ultimately ended up with him). The others were all from FL, and I would have had the same Meet At The Show situation as I had with my trainer since he's always on the road. If you want to seriously do the A circuit and live in GA, there are really a limited of number of trainers I would consider going to, and hardly any of them are ever actually "in" Georgia, they're always on the road.

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~Junior Clique~ Buckle Bunnies /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PlusTax
Dec. 15, 2002, 10:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Southern Comfort~:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:

It seems that many people who show exclusively on the A circuit do not ride with an Atlanta based trainer. Before Atlantans start flaming me, that isn't a judgement - that is an observation! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with you DMK. When I was thinking about switching trainers last spring, only one of them was from GA (and I ultimately ended up with him). The others were all from FL, and I would have had the same Meet At The Show situation as I had with my trainer since he's always on the road. If you want to seriously do the A circuit and live in GA, there are really a limited of number of trainers I would consider going to, and hardly any of them are ever actually "in" Georgia, they're always on the road.

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~Junior Clique~ Buckle Bunnies /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's really true! Other than Sunny and Hunt and maybe Claudia McMillian (I think that's her last name /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif but I don't really know her) none of the trainers do strictly A shows. The local circuit is good and a lot of riders do both (I did both when I was showing in GA) but they're just one day shows and obviously they're not rated, but if you don't have the money to spend traveling every weekend they're a lot of fun and VERY competitive! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

Policy of Truth
Dec. 15, 2002, 10:29 AM
I would e-mail Nicole for that info! I just fly there and they pick me up /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As for the types of shows, they do the A's and C's for the people who want to do them. They are frequently at Chateau Elan, and I know they will "do" Florida if clients want to. They also have a waiting list for boarding as well as training, but my horse is getting ready to come up (YIPPEE!), so there may be space.

Go to www.westwindfarm.net (http://www.westwindfarm.net) to get all Nicole's contact info. She still has her own separate sales business, which is West Wind Farm, Inc.

I THINK the housing development website is www.huntcliff.com (http://www.huntcliff.com)

Wanna-Be
Dec. 15, 2002, 12:01 PM
Well, my horse is to green for showing this year. But I have gone to several with Jamie and Kim Pate w/ All About Me. Next year we will start out in the low-childrens, and his name is All The Right Moves. BTW, I adore your mare, and I think she is soooo lovely! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
*Shauna*

Judi
Dec. 15, 2002, 01:13 PM
Hey GreyMareMom... Where is your trainers barn? What city?

PlusTax
Dec. 15, 2002, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beethoven:

~Jenna & Beethoven~
Proud Member of the Thoroughbred Clique & the Children's Jumpers Clique & the GA Clique & TS Clique "We ride and never worry about the fall, I guess thats just the cowboy in us all" ~Tim MaGraw<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically he's still for sale, but he's kind of being permenently leased right now! I'm not really sure who's paying the bill but a lady named Burk Lee is showing him in the A/As in VA!! She does so well with him and I think he's really happy as a 3' horse /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

luckyduck
Dec. 15, 2002, 02:18 PM
www.huntcliffstables.com (http://www.huntcliffstables.com)

We are 4 miles outside of 285. Exit 6 off of 400.
Directions are on the web site!

vxf111
Dec. 15, 2002, 02:21 PM
Kelsey D, if yopu stop by Little Creek-- some say hi! I am 5'6 blond hair blue eyes aged 23, always in boots and breeches, and attached is my furball who I'll be with!

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"

Starmite
Dec. 15, 2002, 02:34 PM
Heather Steinman (HMS Stables) and Sunny Stevens (Stevehaven) are the two best (IMHO). Sunny is more well known than Heather, but Heather seems to be just as good AND she can ride your horse(s) for you to school them. They both teach all the fine points of equitation, jumpers and hunters, and both of their groups of students do well at shows.
~MP

*Founding member of the 'Starmite Rocks My World' CLICK*

findeight
Dec. 15, 2002, 03:13 PM

When it gets closer I'll be asking for your advice... once I find out where we end up buying...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh come on Judi, get your priorities in order...find a place for the horse THEN look at houses within 30 min. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Last 2 times I've moved to another state I did that, found the area where the better barns are located and looked there for myself. Funny thing is that, because the better trainers tend to locate in a convenient location for their customers (who aren't living in a double wide to say the least), it tends to be where you want to buy anyway. Get to know your new barnmates and they can help you with neighborhoods suitable for you, probably an agent in the barn too.

As far as the commute to work, I have found I am willing to drive a little further if I know my horse is well cared for. I drive 45 min to work and 15 min to the barn so you can see what I consider important.

Moving to Atlanta from California you may be in for a case of reverse sticker shock. Now it's not cheap anymore and areas like Buckhead are flat ridiculous but you'll still get way more house for the money, maybe have enough left to redecorate... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif meaning the tack room, with a new saddle.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

Madison
Dec. 15, 2002, 03:30 PM
Hey GreyMareMom... Where is your trainers barn? What city?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is in Alpharetta, and my trainer owns the farm, so it is nice to have the stability - if you looked at a map, it is near the Fulton County/Cherokee County line. I live intown, so I go up GA 400 and can get off at Exits 9, 10 or 11. Not too convenient to my intown house and downtown law firm, but totally worth it for the care my mare gets (and our indoor arena!) - I don't worry about her when I can't get there.

EqSuperStar - Thanks, I'm having a blast with her and she's just made so much progress this year. It's been so fun watching her figure out her new job (she'd only had dressage training when I bought her).

Beethoven
Dec. 15, 2002, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelsey D:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beethoven:

~Jenna & Beethoven~
Proud Member of the Thoroughbred Clique & the Children's Jumpers Clique & the GA Clique & TS Clique "We ride and never worry about the fall, I guess thats just the cowboy in us all" ~Tim MaGraw<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically he's still for sale, but he's kind of being permenently leased right now! I'm not really sure who's paying the bill but a lady named Burk Lee is showing him in the A/As in VA!! She does so well with him and I think he's really happy as a 3' horse /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

http://community.webshots.com/user/jrhntrpavi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YAY!

~Jenna & Beethoven~

~SC~
Dec. 15, 2002, 07:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelsey D:

That's really true! Other than Sunny and Hunt and maybe Claudia McMillian (I think that's her last name /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif but I don't really know her) none of the trainers do strictly A shows. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally forgot about Claudia! She's a very good trainer. I can't remember who, but either Michelle or Julie, I'm thinking Michelle, broke off and started her own barn. The nice thing about Claudia is that she has a really good pro, Julie Saye Kirk &lt;sp&gt;, who can ride/show your horse for you, which can be hard to find. Hunt and Havens are the only other 2 who can really ride/show your horse for you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

lisa
Dec. 16, 2002, 08:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Southern Comfort~:
Hunt and Havens are the only other 2 who can really ride/show your horse for you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Sarah~

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, Sarah, I beg to differ... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Though both of them do an excellent job, they are not the only ones...

Judi, definitely do your homework. How green is your horse? IMO, there are very few around here who are good with bringing a young horse along.

Feel free to email me. Definitely get a trainer's directory from Cashmere... http://www.ghja.org.

peepie
Dec. 16, 2002, 01:51 PM
Re: Stables
Chastain is located conveniently intown (inside 285) HOWEVER there is basically NO TURNOUT...small paddocks about 2x size of stall...on small gravel...no grass! Fab facility (new, excellent barn crew manager on site) but have had probs with horsies going stir crazy (and bucking-wild) from lack of t/o where they can really be a horse. Don't know about trainers there...except the up/down one, who is great (she used to ride w/ Sunny) and of course I can't remember her name now...but you obviously aren't a beginner! HA HA

John Abbott @ Little Creek sold me my horse...he's a nice guy...never seen Little Creek...

Huntcliff is outside 285, but south of Roswell...not the best turnout, but on the Chattahoochee River on the edge of a subdivision...

Sunny is farther north, but worth the drive, IMHO.

Good luck!

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

lisa
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:01 PM
I also think it makes a big difference if you want to jump higher than, say, 3'. There are plenty of trainers in the area that are competent at that level, but if you want to be competitive at the Jr/AO level, whether hunter, or especially jumper, the choices become slim.

PlusTax
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by commodore:
I totally agree with you about the lack of A quality trainers in teh Atl area. If there were some great ones, I would keep my horse there and make the commute. I feel like there is a big emphasis on local shows there, which I am not saying is a bad thing, if that's waht you're looking for. But as far as going to WEF and indoors and Devon, it is slim pickins' in Hotlanta (I think).

In fact, I would contend that some of these trainers that have been recommended are &lt;NOT&gt; in fact that well-suited to the bigger A shows in the south. .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really know what you mean by that but Sunny Stevens has qualified riders for Devon, indoors, maclay regionals, medal finals, NAL, M&S, and her riders ussually do really well there so she is definitly "qualified" I'm not really sure about the other trainers because I don't know them, but there are a lot of GA riders (a lot of jrs and pony kids) who are competitive all over the country so obviously there are some good trainers out there!

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

Wanna-Be
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:05 PM
I definately disagree about what was said....Sunny and Hunt are not the only trianers who can ride your horse for you. I know of some others, but most importantly my trainer. He rides greenies all the time, and gets the best out of every horse he is on; puke to fancy. There is one in particular mare, that was basically unknown, but now she has beaten some of the best movers/jumpers in her classes. She doesn't look or act like your average hunter. As a matter of fact, if you saw her, you would think she is nuts; but she has come home with a champion or reserve from nearly every show. I can count on one had how many she hasn't done that at /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif! Yes, her mom as a lot to do with it, but Jamie gets a TON of credit. He warms her up, and rides her weekly, this mare is spectacular, when the trainers metioned above said she wasn't. They are not the only qualified trainers in our area, maybe the best known, but not the "better" trianers. As far as the BIG A shows, no we don't have many trainers here. We do have some! Julie Moore really hold her own with her students and ponies, as well as Terry Brown, and Jamie C. They have all done the big shows. Julie just came back from wonderful placings in Pony Finals, Terry Brown has gone to the Garden, Capital Challenge, ect. with her horses, and Jamie has done all the big stuff in the north; Harrisburg, Hamptons, CC, ect. They all are still very good, and have a barn full of people. So pls. don't say we don't have any/many trianers. We have a bunch of up-and-coming trianers, as well. No, this area is not a s good as Florida, or NJ, NY, MD...but we will get there.
Judi- definately check ot that web site, it will help a lot. I hope you will consider coming down to see a show or 2 in the spring, that should help your decision. Good luck with your move too!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
*Shauna*

Wanna-Be
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:10 PM
I forgot to add that Jamie has also qualified several of his students for Maclay regionals, and Medal Finals. Yes, this was when he was up North, but I know if he is given the chance, he will do the same for us!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
*Shauna*

CTM
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:38 PM
Well Judi,

Can you tell that we are at least passionate about our trainers in Atlanta? Since you have been riding with an 'A' trainer and have a horse aimed at those levels I would start researching those first. I've lived and ridden in Atlanta for a long time (born and raised - now age 42 /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif) and I have ridden with at least 5 of the trainers mentioned here on the board. Claudia McQuillan Rowland is great and so is Julie Saye Curtin, her pro rider. Their emphasis is the hunter ring and they will be open and tell you so themselves. They do have a great group of adult riders though. Sunny Stevens is a great hunter, jumper, and eq coach; she doesn't ride herself anymore and she has more juniors than adults (great kids though and wonderful barn comraderie /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif). Hunt Tosh is a great rider - hunter and jumper - and has a number of Grand Prix wins to his credit. Havens Schatt is wonderful (I've been working with her lately), but is on the road a lot - WEF, Lake Placid, etc. in addition to doing some Atlanta shows. Another trainer for the jumper world is Matthew LeMaster - I believe he is on the Marietta side of town. I haven't ever worked with him, but I've heard really nice things about him from reliable sources. He shows jumpers actively himself at the 'A' level as well as coaching. I don't believe he is on the road as much as those mentioned above. I do believe he does some PSJ and local shows as well. I think Heather Steinman is wonderful also and does a mix of close by 'A's and PSJ's. She's an excellent rider and does a good job with young horses. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions - I'll be happy to answer!

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:51 PM
Not "Moore".....

Lucassb
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:53 PM
I would basically say "ditto" to Tallyrand's post. And FWIW, I grew up riding on LI, so I know that trainer as well.

You are welcome to email me for more details if you like. I have been here for nine years and have tried many of the barns mentioned in my search for an A-quality barn.

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that
matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

Wanna-Be
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:55 PM
Sorry about the misspelling!

luckyduck
Dec. 16, 2002, 04:27 PM
Ya...I am partial to my husband, but I am supposed to be! (Huntcliff)

Bill Russell

Stephanie Free

Chris Woods

Sharon Enteen (Sp? Not to sure how to spell her last name)

Ben Gogel

Janet Salem

Julie Mohr

All these guys get down and do the job! I've been watching them and showing with them for over a year know. Each one of them has a style...

What is important to the person searching....will it work for them.

Take time to meet all of these guys. Ride with them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Everyone is going to have a different opinion...

luckyduck
Dec. 16, 2002, 04:31 PM
To the TN person....

We have SEVERAL clients that trailer in from TN....Knoxville area.

I know they can't find ANYONE to ride with and they switched barsn at least 4 times before finding a person that ran a professional business....

Spoiled Horse
Dec. 16, 2002, 05:16 PM
I will 2nd on HuntCliff, I have only heard good things about them.. And I may ride with them /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kirk Kamish

Carolyn Bell

Woody Dykers ( he is very good!!)

Barbara Macon -I dont know too much about her but her kids do really well.

Michele Menkens Morris ( very nice Lady)

Brad Spragg

*~Charity*~
*~My Best Effort*~
*~ It is not me that is spoilled, it is my horse~*

Madison
Dec. 16, 2002, 05:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by commodore:
In fact, I would contend that some of these trainers that have been recommended are &lt;NOT&gt; in fact that well-suited to the bigger A shows in the south. I do not mean that derogatorily at all, I am just merely trying to help out greymare. E-mail me if you would like more info. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Commodore - not sure if you meant to say you were trying to help out Judi, or if you thought for some reason I would take offense at your post. If it is the latter, I'm not offended b/c (though I don't necessarily agree with your overall assessment of the Atlanta market), if you look back at my original post, I specifically said my barn would not be a good fit if you were looking for a place that did all the A's b/c we only go to 2 or 3, and are largely content at just the better of the local shows.

I'm sure Judi's probably gotten more names than she ever wanted, but she can at least probably divide them into the predominantly A, which people like DMK and Tallyrand have spoken to, and the predominantly local circuit trainers, and can decide which places she wants to check out.

[This message was edited by GreyMareMom on Dec. 16, 2002 at 10:15 PM.]

Policy of Truth
Dec. 16, 2002, 07:09 PM
"In fact, I would contend that some of these trainers that have been recommended are &lt;NOT&gt; in fact that well-suited to the bigger A shows in the south".

Really???!! So having riders show at Washington, the Medals and Maclays as well as the M&S is just not good enough? That's really an eye opener /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Just to put his name on the table, I loved the riding I did under Pierre Belanger of Huntcliff. Before that, I had Nicole Imbriglio, but she decided she needed to have babies (horse and human!)...oh well /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Maybe I'll get to squeeze a lesson out of her this weekend /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dakotawyatt
Dec. 16, 2002, 07:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by luckyduck:
Sharon Enteen (Sp? Not to sure how to spell her last name)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have Sharon's name spelled correctly! Also, I second Matthew LeMaster!!! His barn is located in Austell GA, called Westcreek Stables. His fiancee (wife?) Julie is also very good.

"The daughter who won't lift a finger in the house is the same child who cycles madly off in the pouring rain to spend all morning mucking out a stable." (Samantha Armstrong)

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 05:54 AM
This area does have a lot of GOOD people...

I know I have a soft spot for Bill Russell and Stephanie Free. Any chance I get I send my daughter to ride with them.

We have also used Ben Gogel for our jumper riders when Pierre can't be there (seeing as I have NOT A CLUE! When it comes to the jumpers!)

And I wouldn't hesitate to send any of our people to Julie Mohr, Roger Brown, Chris Woods or Sharon Enteen.

They all have impressed me with their "styles".... and the fact that they don't have ANY intention of "stealing" clients away. They have ALL been EXTREMLY professional, and don't hesitate to step in and offer a hand when it is needed.

We all need that "one" trainer, but I still am a firm beleiver in you can learn more from all rather then one.

Lucassb
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:11 AM
Sunny had one qualify a jr. hunter for indoors last year. However, in general, Commodore is correct. Terry Brown does very well but only rarely shows in or around Atlanta. In years past, they have gone to Indio for the winter. She is almost NEVER home and will tell you right up front that your horse will live on the road with her; she expects you to fly in to meet them.

There have also been a couple of other HORSES/RIDERS who have qualified for the big shows, but the ones I know meet out of town trainers at the shows.

If her program works for you, I think I would suggest Claudia Rowland (Fox Hollow Farm.) She runs a pretty tight ship and does the bigger shows with some success. However, it is definitely HER program and you may or may not have much input into it... which doesn't work for everybody. If it works for you, she does have a lovely facility in a good location.

As others have said, there are any number of local level trainers and there are many different programs to choose from if you want something a little more casual/flexible. Heather Steinman is my choice for a young horse (and she will be working with my new one, so I am putting my $$ where my mouth is here!) She does a mix of shows, but at this point it does not include the bigger A stuff.

Best of luck finding something that works for you.

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

lisa
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:18 AM
Sure, lots of these trainers (Sunny in particular) have some competent eq riders, but when was the last time one of them had a horse qualify for indoors? In the _hunters_? With the exception of Hunt and maybe Brad Spragg, I don't recall any of them being contenders at indoors or Devon in years. In fact, I can't think of a single well-known hunter to have come out of that area in awhile. Please don't flame me, I'm jsut sharing my observations. If you want to do the adults or the equitation or maybe even the smaller jumpers, there are several options. If you really want to hit the big-time, go to WEF, win at indoors, etc., your options are fairly limited.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can think of several hunters right off the bat who have qualified for the biggest shows and finals:

Wichita and Rachel Berkowitz: Nat'l Horse Show and Devon in the Jr. Hunters (2001), all other Indoors shows.

Front Row and Julie Saye Curtain/Carol Cokerly USAEq HOTY in the Greens a few years ago.

Dinner and a Movie and Hayden Warmington/Cathy Brink in the Jr. Hunters: all Indoors shows

Janet Salem's pony rider was eighth in the USAEq Pony Medal this year. (OK, not a hunter, but still a great accomplishment!)

Hayden Warmington's large pony, Woodland's Me First, is 19th in the nation in the Large Greens, and 5th in the Nation in the regular Large's.

And, before anyone zings me for forgetting any -- the ones I named were just off the top of my head.

On the other hand, commodore does bring up a good point which has been discussed at length over many beverages /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif! Atlanta has people with money, and a very passionate horsey community (as evidenced by this thread). Why aren't there more well-known trainers and horses?

J. Turner
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:26 AM
No one mentioned Elizabeth Warmington in Alpharetta. She has a very nice small facility and is the best out of all the trainers, I think, in Atlanta. Both her daughters won the WIHS Pony Medal Final. Her older daughter, Sarah, has qualified for the indoor equitation finals. Both have done well on hunters pony and juniors.

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
-- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
*** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
*** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:41 AM
I think we should all step back and remember that the original post was a single person looking for a trainer that would suit HER needs....

Coming from the stand point of a trainer...I know that clients with MONEY play a big part in getting to the BIGGER shows...and ATLANTA does not have LOTS of money...most people here are under a BIG crunch because of the economy.

Atlanta grew fast and quick....and now it is at a standstill...lots of people that had BIG jobs are being laid off...or being downsized.

No money...no horse shows....simple.

So to the person who started this topic...you have LOTS to choose from...and I, As a trainer from one of those stables knows that there are MANY quailifed people around Atlanta to get you well on your way.

You won't be disapointed...I know we aren't...we moved here a year ago and have enjoyed the "mixed" levels that flow through here!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jeb
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:52 AM
I was considering riding/boarding with Karen Kerby. Thankfully, I managed a small miracle and was saved from having to relocate to Atlanta.

DMK
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisa:
On the other hand, commodore does bring up a good point which has been discussed at length over many beverages /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif! Atlanta has people with money, and a very passionate horsey community (as evidenced by this thread). Why aren't there more well-known trainers and horses?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no... I'm pretty sure I run a "dry county" in my house, so you must be mistaken, lisa... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It's easy to figure out why Ocala and South Florida are knee deep in them, but I could never figure out why Atlanta seems to get passed by when there is a pretty good selection of trainers in the Carolinas. My latest best guess as to why Atlanta has such a shortage of those A list trainers is perhaps due to the fact we are pretty far off the I-95 corrider. It's a weak excuse, but it is the best one I can come up with. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But maybe if I drank more while discussing it, I could come up with a few more ideas... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Hey Jeb... guess where one the jobs I am persuing is located? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (Or I should say, they are perusing me).

Pete Seeger

Jeb
Dec. 17, 2002, 08:00 AM
You've got mail.

DMK
Dec. 17, 2002, 08:19 AM
Not yet...

(Ain't aol wunnerful?)

Pete Seeger

Lucassb
Dec. 17, 2002, 08:25 AM
DMK, even sober you can come up with a better explanation than that!!!!

Not that I can think of a reason why we would EVER stop the vino & video parties...

&lt;vbg&gt;

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

Beethoven
Dec. 17, 2002, 08:39 AM
Sure, lots of these trainers (Sunny in particular) have some competent eq riders, but when was the last time one of them had a horse qualify for indoors? In the _hunters_? With the exception of Hunt and maybe Brad Spragg, I don't recall any of them being contenders at indoors or Devon in years. In fact, I can't think of a single well-known hunter to have come out of that area in awhile. Please don't flame me, I'm jsut sharing my observations. If you want to do the adults or the equitation or maybe even the smaller jumpers, there are several options. If you really want to hit the big-time, go to WEF, win at indoors, etc., your options are fairly limited.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW.. have you been under a rug?? Have you not heard of WITCHITA and Rachel Berkowitz. They have successfully competed in _HUNTERS_ at indoors and devon.

Also, Brittney Denton has competed very successful in Devon with Brownland's Rock and Roll, if I remember correctly!

I am sorry for my outburst, but I am very offended by your comment.

~Jenna & Beethoven~

lisa
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:03 AM

&lt;snip&gt; It's a weak excuse, but it is the best one I can come up with. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like those certain "dry" beverages?!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:11 AM
One way to look at it...

Success can be measured in MANY ways...

If people are truley getting out there and looking at 90% of the trainers here...they will find that they are HUGELY successful with what they have been handed.

Look hard, search deep.

I have BIG TIME respect for the die hards here in Atlanta.

Clients with REAL funds to support the big time are few and far between, but I know that if given the chance....there are quite a few trainers here hiding in little 'ole Atlanta that could give the BIG names a run for the money!

lisa
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:11 AM
Seriously, I think it has more to do with the cost of living and doing business, and the location issues.

And no one wants to be a "pioneer". One would hope that since Havens Schatt has been able to attract clients, others would venture here also.

lisa
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by luckyduck:

Clients with REAL funds to support the big time are few and far between, but I know that if given the chance....there are quite a few trainers here hiding in little 'ole Atlanta that could give the BIG names a run for the money!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tallyrand and I were just discussing that very thing on the phone (that old technology!).

Why do those with the really nice horses choose to go elsewhere when there are a few good choices to be made here? No, they're not as well-known, but Jack Towell was a nobody at one time, also... He was fortunate to have a talented daughter, and a few nice horses.

Of course, I'm speaking out of both sides here, because I have had my horse with a BNT, and he will continue to show him at certain shows. When the BNT first rode my horse, he told me the exact same things my current trainer (HMS) had previously told me. I guess my point is there are people here who, given the chance, could make some nice horses/riders.

[This message was edited by lisa on Dec. 17, 2002 at 12:51 PM.]

peepie
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:33 AM
I'm also native Atlantan...41...perhaps we rode together as juniors? Where were you then (barnwise)?

And WHERE are these vino & video parties???

Lucassb
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:47 AM
posted by Lisa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why do those with the really nice horses choose to go elsewhere when there are a few good choices to be made here? No, they're not as well-known, but people like Jack Towell was a nobody at one time, also... He was fortunate to have a talented daughter, and a few nice horses.

&lt;snip&gt; I guess my point is there are people here who, given the chance, could make some nice horses/riders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think one of the main reasons has been that the folks who want a really good trainer and have the means to afford it also want a really good facility. Around here frankly I think it is difficult to find both in the same location.

There are some lovely barns, with nice turnout, lighted/covered rings, good staff etc... where the training is perhaps not what you might expect. And there are some talented, up and coming trainers who (understandably) have not been able to offer the amenities that would attract the clientele that would help them move up.

There are very few places that offer both.

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

Just My Style
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:55 AM
This is my list from last year (2001 show season). These are GHJA members. I can't speak for the successes of others in the area who are not part of GHJA.

M&S Childrens Hunter- Ashley Rohde & Abercrombie 5th
M&S Adult- Mandy Tosh & Whoville 1st
M&S Childrens Jumper- Sarha Stukas & The Naked Truth/ Leslie Webb & Fire Fox/ Leslie Webb & Who Knew owned by Sunny Stevens
WCHR Professional Challenge- Hunt Tosh 2nd Place
USET Finals- Rachel Brekowitz/ Leary Dixon 12th/ Lauren Flexon/ Susie Fried 10th/ Sarah Warmington

Harrisburg (I won't list individual ribbons- just who qualified):
Sm. Jrs- Rachel Berkowitz & Wichita
Lrg. Jrs- Rachel Berkowitz & GaramountII/ Elsbeth Loughery & Elsi Fenimore
Lrg Pony- Elsbeth Loughery & Elsie Fenimore
Green Conformation- Karen Singletary & Simply Lucas
AHSA Medal- Rachel Berkowitz/ Meredith Bryant/ Leary Dixon/ Susie Fried/ Sarah Warmington
NAL Childrens Hunter- Ashley Rohde & Abercrombie
NAL Childrens Jumper- Leslie Webb & Who Knew
NAL Adult Jumper- Mandy Rotter & Two Thumbs Up owned by Kitty Owens
A/O Hunter- Sarah McEachern & Bailey's II
A/O Jumper- Ginny Joyner & Midnight Passage
NAL Adult Hunter Finals- Laura Tison & Obbligato/ Robin Huges & Scotch and Soda
Budweiser Grand Prix de Penn National- Edgar owned by Mary Schwab (ridden by Joe Fargis)

Washington (I won't list individual ribbons, just who qualified):
2nd Year- Elsbeth Loughery & Elsie Fenimore
Lrg Pony- Elsbeth Loughery & Chapel Hill
Sm. Jr- Rachel Berkowitz & Wichita
Lrg Jr- Rachel Berkowitz & Garamount II/ Elsbeth Loughery & Elsie Fenimore
WIHS Childrens Hunter- Kelsey Horowitz & C'est La Vie/ Kelsey Horowitz & Galway Bay
WIHS Adult Hunter- Robin Hughes & Scotch and Soda/ Mandy Tosh & Whoville
WIHS Children's Jumper- Jessica Laube & Nick of Time/ Leslie Webb & Fire Fox/ Leslie Webb & Who Knew
WIHS Pony Eq.- Hayden Warmington 1st/ Darcy Cooper/ Meredith Bryant/ Ally Andes/ Brittany Denton
International Open Jumpers- Edgar owned by Mary Schwab (ridden by Joe Fargis)

National:
Sm Jr- Rachel Berkowitz & Wichita
Lrg Jr- Elsbeth Loughery & Elsie Fennimore

At least a dozen GHJA kids qualified for pony final this year and took home good ribbons. There were an equal number of indoor qualifiers this year, although I do not have the official list yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sure, lots of these trainers (Sunny in particular) have some competent eq riders, but when was the last time one of them had a horse qualify for indoors? In the hunters? With the exception of Hunt and maybe Brad Spragg, I don't recall any of them being contenders at indoors or Devon in years. In fact, I can't think of a single well-known hunter to have come out of that area in awhile. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Commodore- Read the above. Maybe you just need to get out more! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 10:00 AM
That is why Chastain was so attractive to so many at first...

Well...my feeling...pretty is as pretty does. But people with the cash...can damn well do what they please!

So many barns...like mine...close to the city...are seriously lacking turnout....while we do have LOTS of turnout space...it is a dang mud pit! (Thus why we are spending THOUSANDS on drainage and new surface area!)

And then the barns that are up 400...well that is a LIVE nightmare! Day and night!

So, people with the funds, fly out of Atlanta to get to Some one some where...

Thus I go back to the DIE HARDS of Atlanta who are incredible trainers, instructors AND/or riders, that sit here and just deal with what they are handed.

I hate to keep repeating, but I have to respect these guys......

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 10:03 AM
Local or national, some of these trainers kids are just darn good...and look at the adults! PLEASE!

I think that we need to give credit where credit is due.

Some of these trainers don't have a need to "advertise" how good they are. They are happy with what they have and take pleasure in the little things still!

DMK
Dec. 17, 2002, 10:13 AM
Cashmere - I don't think anyone was saying there aren't a lot of talented horse/riders in Atlanta. I think some of us pointed out that they don't all ride with trainers native to the area so to speak. Certain individuals on your list highlighted that issue!

And yes, there are a lot of people here who tough it out and make a business, and you have to give them credit, because it appears damn hard to make it to the top while staying in Atlanta. Of course once they DO get well known, they don't seem to stay around for long (Holly, Sue Ashe and Patty Stoval leap to mind).

Note: well known is different from talented. "Talented" is an opinion and everyone has one.

Pete Seeger

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 10:25 AM
How do you guys bold cap your letters like that? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

DMK
Dec. 17, 2002, 11:01 AM
Is that after 5 pages of debate, Judi is probably sitting in HR right now mumbling "musn't move to Atlanta... can't move to Atlanta... the horse people in Atlanta are Not Well..." /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

luckyduck - scroll down your screen and look under "Instant UBBcode" - you will see an option for bold, italics, URL, etc.

The other option is to just do the code yourself. Bold is as follows, just omit the &gt; I inserted so it will display the code:

[&gt;b]text here[&gt;/b]

exchange an "i" for the "b" and it will italicize the text.

Pete Seeger

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 11:04 AM
Have to say....we do look a bit scarey don't we?

lisa
Dec. 17, 2002, 11:05 AM
I didn't say there weren't quality _riders_; I was only talking trainers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And DMK put it well: Note: well known is different from talented. Just because they haven't jogged at indoors (yet) doesn't mean they're not capable.

Also, I'd like to add that Lucassb made some good points, which I alluded to in writing: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Seriously, I think it has more to do with the cost of living and doing business, and the location issues.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Seems like around here, you're always giving up *something*.

~SC~
Dec. 17, 2002, 11:32 AM

K, commodore, I'm totally on your side in this, but I just have to point something out..

My best friend Rachel Berkowitz rides with Sunny, and her Small Junior, Wichita, has qualified and competed at all the Indoor shows for the past 2 years (he qualified the year before but did not show). She is also in the top 10 in the country on him this year, and I think 3rd in the country last year. When she was leasing her Large Junior, they qualified for Indoors too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif So it does happen. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hunt, Terry Brown, Claudia/Michelle, Sunny, and Elizabeth Warmington (plus a few people I'm sure I'm forgetting), have had riders qualify for the hunters, jumpers, and eqs at Indoors. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think there are alot of quality riders in GA, but it's interesting that with so many trainer to choose from, so many of the "good ones" are with the same 2 or 3 trainers or they go out of state (which to me says that we don't have an abundance of higher level trainers). Yes, the local trainers may be awesome trainers, and there are alot of them, but that's not the person to take you to FL or Indoors.

**Edited to say that alot of people beat me to what I was trying to say. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif**
~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

Policy of Truth
Dec. 17, 2002, 11:45 AM
P.S. is in VA now...can't say I'm impressed with the horse I rode after she "trained" it. The mare was really ok before she went to Patty's....when she came back, she was flailing her head and speeding up in the corners. She also had a fear of being bumped in her mouth (nobody had ever THOUGHT to do that to the four year old before she left!).

If P.S. is an example of what you think is a BNT, then I guess Atlanta is doing ok. If I sound pissed, it's because I am. People have named names of people who have qualified for the indoors, yet some posters can't concede that some trainers in Atlanta are actually doing well. Whatever /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
I guess people have strong opinions...I just wish they would back up their facts with ACTUALL facts...neat idea, huh?

BTW, I edited the name because another poster pointed out that nobody had asked a specific opinion on the trainer I was refering to...she was right.

[This message was edited by pacificsolo on Dec. 17, 2002 at 03:42 PM.]

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:07 PM
To bad a lot of the riders didn't have more money to fork out to get there /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DMK
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pacificsolo:
If "S" is an example of what you think is a BNT, then I guess Atlanta is doing ok. If I sound pissed, it's because I am. People have named names of people who have qualified for the indoors, yet some posters can't concede that some trainers in Atlanta are actually doing well. Whatever /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
I guess people have strong opinions...I just wish they would back up their facts with ACTUALL facts...neat idea, huh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of strong opinions...

On the same post, I do believe I mentioned that "well known" and "talented" are not the same thing. You can't be an alternate on the Olympics and pilot a HOTY without achieving "well known" status. But your version of talented is bound to be different than mine. In any case, I did not offer up a strong minded bad opinion on ANY specific trainer, although I am not without such opinions. I just think that is the sort of strong opinion we are all better off without, when it comes to a public forum.

But as I said, people have accused never me of not having strong opinions.

Also, when it comes to qualifying for indoors, there are a few things to consider. One, just because a person from GA qualified for indoors, does not in an of itself mean that they train locally (and that does not even consider the riders who don't even bother joining GHJA). Quite a few on that list do not. Second, qualifying for inddors can also happen through chasing points. Quite frankly I haven't a clue how almost everyone on that list got there, but then few on this board do. In either case, it is indisputable that you can shop your shows, get to indoors and be sadly outclassed. That ain't a Georgia phenom, by any means. Third, and on that same note, it is entirely possible to be ranked very high in the nation, and never get a jog at Devon, indoors or WEF in spite of attending said shows.

Pete Seeger

[This message was edited by DMK on Dec. 17, 2002 at 06:24 PM.]

luckyduck
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:14 PM
Yahoo on the chasing point thing!

Just go to the USAEq and find a name and look at the unbeleivable amount of shows some of these poor horses have to do!

Want to impress me....show me a horse OR pony OR rider that got there with a limited number of rides!

We had one junior in our barn this season that thought about qualifing for the medal finals last minute...she had 6 shows to do it in....missed it by just a few points....one bad day, one bad show....

I was just impressed she got as far as she did as qucik as she did...

Oh ya...lets not forget that in Asheville in August was her VERY first time EVER doing the 3'6!

Show me a rider with desire AND money...we might get somewhere!

lisa
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:15 PM

But as I said, people have accused never me of not having strong opinions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is Yoda taking over for DMK?!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

DMK
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisa:

Is Yoda taking over for DMK?!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I guess that is what happens when you add the "never" and "not" AFTER you type the sentence in the affirmative!

Pete Seeger

Policy of Truth
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:18 PM
"I just think that is the sort of strong opinion we are all better off without, when it comes to a public forum".

So I shouldn't give my personal experience with said trainer? Excuse me, but I am tired of people thinking that naming names is such a bad thing. If I have a bad experience with a Ford, it's ok to say that, but if I have a bad experience with the results of a certain trainer, that's wrong? So how do we self-regulate this industry if we can't share our experiences?

Frankly, hearing about a situation is ok, but I want to know who to look out for! This "let's not discuss the White Elephant in the room" mentality really disgusts me!

Lucassb
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:24 PM
FWIW, it has been quite a number of years since Patty Stoval trained in Georgia. Way back when, she leased one aisle of Rose Ridge Farm... if memory serves me that was at least seven or eight years ago...

I do agree that there IS a market here for an A circuit professional. Those that have tried it have had full barns almost immediately - although for one reason or another, most have not stayed. It has been proven that there are enough people here willing to "pay the freight" to support a pro's business - if they are willing to cater to that clientele.

By "cater," I mean:
Have a facility with a good ring and lights so owners can ride after work. A covered or indoor would be even better.

Be willing to teach/train in the mornings or evenings sometimes so a working amateur doesn't have to quit their job just to take some lessons.

Have some alternative for teaching/training those at home if the barn is going off on the road for weeks at a time.

Have a decent, safe facility with good turnout, a reasonably flexible feeding program, and competent staff... in a location that doesn't require a two hour commute on top of what they do already to get to their jobs/family responsibilities.

I know... it isn't asking for much, is it!?!?

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

[This message was edited by Lucassb on Dec. 17, 2002 at 03:35 PM.]

DMK
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pacificsolo:
So I shouldn't give my personal experience with said trainer? Excuse me, but I am tired of people thinking that naming names is such a bad thing. If I have a bad experience with a Ford, it's ok to say that, but if I have a bad experience with the results of a certain trainer, that's wrong? So how do we self-regulate this industry if we can't share our experiences?

Frankly, hearing about a situation is ok, but I want to know who to look out for! This "let's not discuss the White Elephant in the room" mentality really disgusts me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if someone asked specifically about a trainer and you personally had a bad experience you could certainly say so and offer more details in an e-mail (or relate them online although it wouldn't be my style).

But I think unsolicited opinions on someone - anyone - merely because their name was mentioned as originating from a city isn't the same thing at all, and it is disingenuous to infer some higher morality. But again, that's just an opinion.

Pete Seeger

Policy of Truth
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:35 PM
Where did you come up with a "higher morality"? I am speaking of NUMEROUS times that I've seen this same situation on these threads. This isn't just about your opinion...

Like you, I am offering an opinion. A poster used P. S. as an example of BNTers who have left the Atlanta area, as if there were no longer any good trainers for the indoors there. I disagree.

Essentially, I was arguing the point that just because someone is a BNT doesn't mean you'd want them training your horse. I know several people in this area who will not send their horses to her as of two months ago. I'm sure others are very happy with their results. All the power to them.

BTW, you are right that nobody asked for an opinion on the trainer, so I have gone back and just inserted initials. Sorry for the faux pas...

[This message was edited by pacificsolo on Dec. 17, 2002 at 03:44 PM.]

EqChick
Dec. 17, 2002, 12:37 PM
I decided to put my two cents in here:

I just moved to Atlanta a year and a half ago, and have been looking for a long time for the perfect fit. I'm at the point now, I'm not sure what perfect is, and starting to convince myself that there's no way I'll be happy riding if I don't win the next Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Trying HARD to work my way out of that one.

Anyhow, I do want to say that one of the things I like most about this area is that there are a lot of great adults who compete in the area. You go to shows and watch the A/A div. or something similar, and you see a large number of competant riders with nice horses, generally having a good time. I have met a nubmer of COTH BBers who show here (as evident by the posting on this thread!), and really enjoy themselves. GA adults vary from loaded and can't sit a trot to save their lives, to dirt poor and wallpapering their tack stalls blue.

I have done a lot of research on people here, and I will give you a quick synopsis that has mostly already been posted. When I came here, the most highly recommended were Sunny Stevens and Claudia McQuillen (who now has a second last name - sorry!). Sunny's farm is WAY up north - I personally would never be able to commute with my 9-5+. She does have amazing horses and riders, goes to wonderful shows, and I have not found a single complaint other than distance/cost. Claudia is also great, and has a good rider (Julie) and is slightly closer than Sunny (barn in Alpharetta, and she doesn't seem to be away quite as often, but still does a number of AAA's). I have been to Claudia's facility, which is also very nice.

I have also ridden with a number of other people here and can give you my opinions if you want to email me. One last note is that I used to ride here as a kid and saw Hunt Tosh grow up at local and ATL A's. I love the way he rides, and all of his students/horses seem to go very well. I swear, I have seen horses about to kill their groom, then go in and lay down a beautiful trip with him up. He is also very successful in the jumper ring, and has himself and gets out of his students great equitation. I have not ridden with him myself, nor directly probed his students, but from what I see in the ring, I would highly recommend giving him a call.

I hope this all helps. Just keep in mind, Atlanta has LOTS of trainers, lots of different good prospects for you to check out, great local shows, and is close to great A shows.

(Last comment: I would HIGHLY recommend checking out PSJ's if you come down. They are a perfect venue for trying out jumper legs (lots of divisions), and I think Rick Cram runs one heck of a good show. They are usually good all-around quality shows, not expensive, and you can win your entries back! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So tell me again how the 40 Hour Standard was created? I think my boss was busy...

Lucassb
Dec. 17, 2002, 01:03 PM
Agree with Eqchick's assessment of Hunt Tosh. He is a lovely rider/trainer. Unfortunately, (for us!) he leases a barn in FL and is gone for six months in the winter. Darn.

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

Frisc
Dec. 17, 2002, 01:41 PM
I was just wondering, I used to live in Macon.....is anyone here from Macon?

~SC~
Dec. 17, 2002, 02:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucassb:
Agree with Eqchick's assessment of Hunt Tosh. He is a lovely rider/trainer. Unfortunately, (for us!) he leases a barn in FL and is gone for six months in the winter. Darn.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif It was so hard last year when he was in FL after Ocala. But I mainly just met him at shows anyway b/c he's on the road so much, so we would just get to the show a few days earlier so I could lesson. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif When he was at home, I would lesson like crazy and hack horses for him whenever I could. So it all balanced out eventually. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I kept hoping some of his and Mandy's equitation would rub off on me.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

EqChick
Dec. 17, 2002, 03:22 PM
I kept hoping some of his and Mandy's equitation would rub off on me.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I can understand! Where is their barn anyway? I know Hunt's mom's place is quite a ways out of town, but that is from a 10-year old's perspective when I went to try horses. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Curious to compare to where it really is! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

So tell me again how the 40 Hour Standard was created? I think my boss was busy...

DMK
Dec. 17, 2002, 03:23 PM
Like you, I am offering an opinion. A poster used P. S. as an example of BNTers who have left the Atlanta area, as if there were no longer any good trainers for the indoors there. I disagree.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was that poster. I said that once trainers become well known they have a tendency to leave. You can certainly disagree with me, but the fact remains that such trainers/riders do leave, and seem to keep doing so. The talent of those who remain was not something I rendered an opinion on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Essentially, I was arguing the point that just because someone is a BNT doesn't mean you'd want them training your horse. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You won't find me disagreeing with you. The list of people NOT getting near my horses far outweighs the list allowed to get on them. This has little to do with how World Cups they have ridden in or how many students have qualified for indoors. But I will say the best riders have seen are the most successful. I am sure that isn't a coincidence.

Pete Seeger

Policy of Truth
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:08 PM
"You can certainly disagree with me, but the fact remains that such trainers/riders do leave, and seem to keep doing so. The talent of those who remain was not something I rendered an opinion on."

You're right. You did not render an opinion on those who have not left...in my perception, it was implied that those left were not of high quality. Obviously I "heard" wrong.

I'm not disagreeing that people leave Atlanta, but I would add that just because those people leave, that doesn't mean there aren't talented trainers still in Atlanta who could easily step up to the plate.

Like Luckyduck said, a lot of the issue is money...if you add a student with the money to do Florida as well as Devon, I think several Atlanta trainers would easily rise to the occasion

Lucassb
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:26 PM
pacificsolo wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Like Luckyduck said, a lot of the issue is money...if you add a student with the money to do Florida as well as Devon, I think several Atlanta trainers would easily rise to the occasion <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it is a matter of money, personally.

No, there aren't *hordes* of people here for whom money is no object, but there are at least three barns that I know of - all full - that charge right around a grand a month for board. That would get you a stall in many, if not most BNT's barns in all but the priciest areas of the country (which Atlanta clearly is not.)

And many of these same riders go to FL as well as indoors, as has already been pointed out. It just is not always with an Atlanta based trainer. (Note I said not always... as in sometimes yes, sometimes no.) I really do think it is more of a facility and amenity issue.

Just my $.02, of course.

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

Policy of Truth
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:45 PM
Board isn't the issue with money...I'm speaking of having money for showing at the indoors....which is what Luckyduck was saying.

Spoiled Horse
Dec. 17, 2002, 08:00 PM
Yes I have been looking hight and low for a good trainer-Barn to be a working student at.
I think I have found it, I was up there today and rode three horses for them. The trainer Pierre Belanger( LuckyDucks SO) is great. Very knowledgable so is she.
The horses are very well cared for and happy. Yes there is a ton of mud but that is part of having horses. It is only mud it washes right off!!!

I am going to agree with Luckyduck also on the money thing, It is so true. There are some VERY good trainers around here, but there people dont have tons of money to go to Indoors or WEF. So just because they don't have people with money growing on trees don't make them not a good trainer, Right????
I for one am very happy that I even own my own horse, that I loff to death. And going to a few A's shows for me would me Icing on the cake /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

That was just my $.03

*~Charity*~
*~My Best Effort*~

Lucassb
Dec. 17, 2002, 08:31 PM
I suppose it *may* be a matter of opinion, how much money is "enough" to do WEF or indoors or whatever.

However, a look at the list Cashmere (I think) posted... shows that there are quite a number of Atlanta riders AT those shows. So clearly there are some that can pay to play at that level. Enough to support a pro? I think so, but again that is just my opinion.

I am NOT knocking local trainers, mind you. I think there are some good ones around here. But there is a BIG difference between what it takes to win at the PSJ shows vs. what it takes to ribbon at, say, WEF.

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

JumperQueen
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:02 PM
When I left there a year and 1/2 ago (had ta move) it was going really well; the trainer mike allen is very good w/ people of all ages and is a maclay finalist himself; go to www.bentwood-equestrian.com (http://www.bentwood-equestrian.com) for more info

The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true." Anonymous

~SC~
Dec. 17, 2002, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EqChick:

LOL! I can understand! Where is their barn anyway? I know Hunt's mom's place is quite a ways out of town, but that is from a 10-year old's perspective when I went to try horses. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Curious to compare to where it really is! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Hunt is home, he trains out of his mom's place, which is off of exit 15 or 16 on 400, I can't remember exactly where. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I know that he and Mandy are looking for their own place though.

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

Policy of Truth
Dec. 18, 2002, 05:53 AM
"I am NOT knocking local trainers, mind you. I think there are some good ones around here. But there is a BIG difference between what it takes to win at the PSJ shows vs. what it takes to ribbon at, say, WEF."

Pierre Belanger (as well as others mentioned) is not a "local trainer"! You REALLY need to do your homework as to what constuitutes someone who shows only local vs. someone who has really done it all! Maybe the Medals and Maclays as well as the NCHJA Winter AA (as just a few examples)is just below your standards?

So, you only show with people who have been to WEF, right? And they were what before having their first student go? Chopped liver? They just magically became capable trainers once that student signed up? Give me a break!

If Washington International is local, then what BESIDES WEF, in your opinion, is "big time"?

Policy of Truth
Dec. 18, 2002, 06:01 AM
...I am SOOOO Jealous! I miss Pierre and Nicole so very much!

Are you moving your horse there? Did you by any chance ride my new girl, Cammie? I can't wait to meet her this weekend!

I love Pierre's gentle technique...Nicole makes me cry big 'ole croccadile tears /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

robyanot
Dec. 18, 2002, 06:03 AM
This is a great topic. As you can all tell, Atlanta has choices. Thats whats great about this country. There is a little bit of something for everyone. This should be noted as a constructive place for people to get feedback in an industry where there is no formal certicification or requirements to become a trainer. Just like the Milestone (Amy Miles) post earlier this month. Maybe Amy Miles should head to Atlanta. There seems to be a need for more trainers down there!!!

momochief
Dec. 18, 2002, 06:35 AM
Does it really matter where people show?

NO, NO, NO

Just because someone has had a person qualify for the Maclay or Medal does NOT make them a good trainer.

Just because someone trains at WEF or Ocala that does NOT make them a good trainer.

We all know now days there are 3000 medal classes for everyone at every level. Unfortunately the medals have no longer become a measurement for who's good and who's bad!

What should matter most is honesty, sound fundamentals, safety, and horsemanship!

Money plays a major role in where people show. I have seen some awful riders and trainers in Palm Beach. They just have a litttle more money than the rest of us!

luckyduck
Dec. 18, 2002, 06:41 AM
I am so hapy that someone finally came out and said exactly what I have been repeating and repeating!

Success is measured in so many ways! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

luckyduck
Dec. 18, 2002, 06:43 AM
Haahaa she got to ride your new girl before you did!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

peepie
Dec. 18, 2002, 07:13 AM
Money is an issue...if one can afford a more expensive horse (i.e. supposedly "better"), afford to campaign heavily, it seems these are frequently catalysts in their success. Unfortunately I must agree that the true horsemanship seems to be lacking in those who just get on and lesson/show...for the competetion/glory and not the enjoyment of the horse relationship...
I was a good junior rider, had a good trainer, but just wasn't able to compete (i.e. beat) my peers who had more money, better horses...not whining - I truly enjoyed the experience...but I never got the year-end awards, etc...it was most always the same crowd...
Perhaps that is no longer the case?

Policy of Truth
Dec. 18, 2002, 07:51 AM
"FUNNY Pacificsolo! Funny!

Haahaa she got to ride your new girl before you did!"

OK! you can rub it in all you want! Remember, I get to ride her FOREVER now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, Spoiled Horse Owner, how was she?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

luckyduck
Dec. 18, 2002, 08:15 AM
I see kids LOTS of times, who could walk away with a national medal win...if they only had the funds to get them there. They are usually (but not always) the kids who DON"T have the money....or a trainers kid...and we all know how broke I stay! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif so Viki will have to walk a LONG way through "muddy" ground to get there! And most likely if she does...it will be on a green or consignment horse! (That is of course if Madora doesn't throw a JUST PERFECT baby next year!)

"If wishes were horses then beggars would ride"

It sucks, but AGAIN.....not everyone will shut the door in a riders face just because they DON"T HAVE CASH!

(Has anyone noticed how awful my speling is??????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif how come this stupid thing doesn't have spell check...or does it and I just can't find it? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Lucassb
Dec. 18, 2002, 08:28 AM
From pacificsolo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Pierre Belanger (as well as others mentioned) is not a "local trainer"! You REALLY need to do your homework as to what constuitutes someone who shows only local vs. someone who has really done it all! Maybe the Medals and Maclays as well as the NCHJA Winter AA (as just a few examples)is just below your standards?

So, you only show with people who have been to WEF, right? And they were what before having their first student go? Chopped liver? They just magically became capable trainers once that student signed up? Give me a break! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pacificsolo, what's with the attack? I am not sure why... but you are sure putting a lot of words in my mouth. I did not label any trainers, nor did I issue any standards.

FWIW, I believe that there is a substantial difference in what it takes to win at the AA level vs. a local level. It is not a matter of just raw talent, IMO. There are many factors involved.

Some people start with a local clientele and grow their business as those folks learn, improve and - maybe - step up to the plate with more money, for fancier horses, bigger show bills or whatever. Or maybe they will decide that a program at a different level is more attractive to them. Maybe they don't want to live on the road, for instance. Doesn't mean they are not talented enough to succeed - just means they chose a different path.

There are other people that choose to pay their dues by working for another trainer who is already well known. They put their time in riding whatever is in the barn and earn the right to sit on the so-called nicer horses, maybe getting some exposure in the process. Then when they finally step out on their own, they are known already by a clientele that is perhaps already at the AA level, and they might elect to stay there.

You won't get any judgment from me about which is better - they can both be good programs, just focused differently.

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

Policy of Truth
Dec. 18, 2002, 08:49 AM
"Just because someone has had a person qualify for the Maclay or Medal does NOT make them a good trainer.

Just because someone trains at WEF or Ocala that does NOT make them a good trainer. "

I completely agree....I just want people to understand that just because they haven't HEARD of a trainer, that it does not mean that the trainer isn't capable of taking them to the bigger shows like WEF or Devon.

I take great offence when people suggest that Atlanta doesn't have the right "calibre" of trainers to be CAPABLE of winning ribbons at the indoors.

Policy of Truth
Dec. 18, 2002, 08:53 AM
"Pacificsolo, what's with the attack? I am not sure why... but you are sure putting a lot of words in my mouth."

You really have to ask why??? How about the post I quoted you from? I seriously do not think I'm putting words into your mouth. Re-read your posts. Maybe you'll see why I am taking offence at your comments.

Lucassb
Dec. 18, 2002, 09:13 AM
From pacificsolo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How about the post I quoted you from? I seriously do not think I'm putting words into your mouth. Re-read your posts. Maybe you'll see why I am taking offence at your comments. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having re-read my posts, just in case - sorry, no, I don't.

Please, show me where I said:

"the Medals and Maclays as well as the NCHJA Winter AA (as just a few examples) are below my standards."

or where I said:

"I only show with people who have been to WEF."

or where I said:

"The Washington International is local."

All of which you attributed to me.

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

Policy of Truth
Dec. 18, 2002, 09:27 AM
"I am NOT knocking local trainers, mind you. I think there are some good ones around here. But there is a BIG difference between what it takes to win at the PSJ shows vs. what it takes to ribbon at, say, WEF"

It is this quote that I extrapalated the questions and frustrations I have with what you are saying.

"But there is a BIG difference between what it takes to win at the PSJ shows vs. what it takes to ribbon at, say, WEF"

No, there is not necessarily a BIG difference between the two trainers..except, oh say, MONEY! Which you argued against in another post!

I see in your posts a reluctance to accept that there are high quality trainers in the Atlanta area that have the know-how to take students to the bigger shows (your example was WEF) and get in the ribbons.

Your comment above says to me that you do not think the Atlanta based trainers have what it takes to go to WEF and bring home ribbons. I take offence to that because I know from just reading other posts, this is not a fact! It's your opinion that you are presenting as a fact, instead of just an opinion.

Lucassb
Dec. 18, 2002, 10:02 AM
Pacificsolo,

We can agree to disagree, if you like.

I do take issue with your extrapolation of what I said. "What it takes" to win at the most competitive levels includes more than just a trainer's skills. And you take a big leap by saying that I do not believe that there are trainers here who can get the job done.

&lt;"But there is a BIG difference between what it takes to win at the PSJ shows vs. what it takes to ribbon at, say, WEF"&gt;

Adding "between trainers" to that sentence makes a pretty big difference in meaning and intent.

Would you really not agree that it generally takes more skill, more polish, a "nicer" horse etc to win at the AAs vs. the local level?

Please note, I never said that there were not good trainers here, including ones that go to the biggest shows. In my opinion, there are not many who have the whole package, from skills to facilities to interest.

However, I *would* argue that it takes more than just money to succeed at the AA horseshows.

While it sure helps, there are lots of riders who can spend huge amounts - who still can't buy a ribbon. Just as there are riders with NOT ONLY the checkbook but the work ethic AND the skill/talent to ride at the top. And they are hard to beat!

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

[This message was edited by Lucassb on Dec. 18, 2002 at 01:10 PM.]

Policy of Truth
Dec. 18, 2002, 10:29 AM
I can agree to disagree....

I do think it takes a package of sorts to make it to the bigger shows. Unfortunately, I know kids with good horses that will never know if they are competitive at that level simply because they cannot take out a small loan to go to just one week.

I wish this were different. But the reality is, you can have the right training, a good horse and the desire, and yet never have the opportunity because of the back-breaking finacial commitment that most "regular" people lack.

Spoiled Horse
Dec. 18, 2002, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pacificsolo:
...I am SOOOO Jealous! I miss Pierre and Nicole so very much!

Are you moving your horse there? Did you by any chance ride my new girl, Cammie? I can't wait to meet her this weekend!

YES I did ride her, she is so sweet. She will be a very nice horse one day for you. She is very smart too /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif She is still a little fast in her canter but calmed down with some half halts. Knows her leads, and is great at the Walk and Trot. I was aincy because I was trying to ride good for Pierre, and trying to "look good" on an OTTB is hard but I think I did a good job "looking good".... Oh well, but I loff'ed her!!!!!

I also saw Mandora(sp) she is very very cute.
I may bring my horse there I really want to, one of Nicole's horses my come live at my farm so Champ can go there......
Pierre, is very very good, on the quite side but I am sure he will be better once he gets to know me. And Nicole you are too too nice:-) no I am not sucking up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

P.s LuckyDuck, I am not sore at all today just last night, go figure.

*~Charity*~
*~My Best Effort*~

[This message was edited by Spoiled Horse Owner on Dec. 18, 2002 at 01:39 PM.]

luckyduck
Dec. 18, 2002, 10:35 AM
Well...we will just have to up the number of rides then! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pacificsolo will be here all weekend...hope you can make it over! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Spoiled Horse
Dec. 18, 2002, 10:44 AM
LuckyDuck, I can come up friday afternoon, and maybe some on Sunday. We have a wedding Saturday for a good friend.
Sorry about not being sore for you maybe I will ride 5 horses I know that will make me sore! LOL I did sleep like a baby last night.!!!
My truck is being looked at this moment so wish me luck!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

*~Charity*~
*~My Best Effort*~

luckyduck
Dec. 18, 2002, 10:48 AM
Lets hope for NO MORE RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

See you when you get here! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Spoiled Horse
Dec. 18, 2002, 10:52 AM
Well...we will just have to up the number of rides then! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pacificsolo will be here all weekend...hope you can make it over! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yah, Did i not tell you I was a really tuff kid?? I thought so, LOL I know I know I am a smart @$$ sometimes.

luckyduck
Dec. 18, 2002, 11:01 AM
You shall fit in SOOOOOO well here! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lucassb
Dec. 18, 2002, 11:11 AM
Pacificsolo,

I hear you. Trust me, I am one of those "regular working people."

This is what I do for fun. I love to ride, love to lesson/improve, love to tack-shop... and love to show. And yes, of course I love to win.

I grew up surrounded by some big "A circuit" show barns, and learned from people who were successful at that level. Mind you I was a working student/groom type and not a trust fund baby!

It is a fact of life that this is a very expensive sport and one way or another, one has to pay to play. Hopefully those without unlimited resources - financial or otherwise - can still find a great deal of enjoyment from the level of involvement they CAN have.

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

PlusTax
Dec. 18, 2002, 11:48 AM
Wow this thread is really amusing!!!

Just for the record, when I moved to Sunny in '95 she did a ton of locals, probably more than As. She still had riders qualifying for indoors for the eq and jumpers and one pony kid who won everything imaginable, but a lot of us only wanted to do the GHJA local stuff. Then all of us started advancing at the same time to the point that it was dumb to keep showing at locals, and now she doesn't do them at all! When we would want to do them we would go with Janet Salem. I left a few years ago but even then she only did As!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if a trainer has the clients who want to campaign every weekend and chase national points, they'll do it. But what's the point in wasting their time if none of the students want to do As??

Ok I'm done now /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

Judi
Dec. 18, 2002, 02:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted Dec. 17, 2002 02:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The one thingI think we can all agree on...

Is that after 5 pages of debate, Judi is probably sitting in HR right now mumbling "musn't move to Atlanta... can't move to Atlanta... the horse people in Atlanta are Not Well..."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL... DMK... You did read my mind... but actually I appreciate pacificsolo's passion for the Atlanta trainers. And I understand the frustration that can come from the "A" circuit attitude that we can all encounter.

To be quite honest... I am a very busy Marketing Executive that doesn't begin to have the time to chase points but I do want the best training and horsemanship for my horse. I like a tight run ship at the barn regarding safety, feeding and care that will give my horse the best nutrition and keep him happy psychologically. I'm also looking for a wonderful trainer who can communicate effective methods that improve my riding daily. I'm one of those students that eat every thing up and try 100% in every lesson. I set goals and I like to see improvement monthly.

That being said... An active "A" trainer is usually NOT at home to train me. I love my current trainer but I've only averaged about a lesson a month from him. And next year it seems like he's going to be on the road almost constantly with the Small Ponies his large client is campaigning. (Child's Play, Budwieser, Sam I am, Sliver Steps) This client has 15 horses in the barn so we all know where we stand as far as priority... and she's so very nice but sometimes I do long for a trainer who does more local shows that I can actually train with on a consistant basis. Randy will be at Indio all 6 weeks... I can only afford one week away from work which means the other 5 will mean I'm with another trainer.

What I'm looking for is to be the best rider and horsewoman I can be. Out here we have the "B" circuit that has wonderfully run shows. They usually operate at most of the same facilities as the "A" shows just cost less. Judging is rather consistant and my money goes much farther. I can show 3 "B" shows to 1 "A" show and I can get the experience I need. I like having a trainer who can take me to an "A" show once in a while... but I can't do the "A" circuit dance... since I've got a career... kids... husband... dogs... you know ... a life. My riding is part of that life and I put it in perspective that way.

For us adults it's about enjoying ourselves. It's about enjoying our horses... enjoying our friendships at the barn... enjoying the team feeling of going to a show as a barn and rooting for each other... Supporting one another and hoping your barn mates do their best... because you want the best for them....

Indeed it seems that Atlanta does have the type of trainers I would truely enjoy working with.

Could anyone give me an idea of pricing? What does average board cost? Average monthly training?

Thanks
judi

Rainier's Page (http://newhavenfarm.com/Rainier)

Wanna-Be
Dec. 18, 2002, 02:19 PM
Rainier is very handsome!!!
As far as prices..it varies (of course). I have been to barns at 400 a month, and to ones that cost 1k a month. It really depends on the package deal, what is available and so on. I know lessons are from $35 to $100 a lesson, most ranging for an hour. I hope you do find what you are looking for, your horse is very cute, and I know you will be happy wherever you go! I hope all this helped you, and maybe one of us will see you around /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.
*Shauna*

vxf111
Dec. 18, 2002, 02:39 PM
I actually think, based on what you just posted,that you will LIKE the local circuit here. Are the shows A rated? Definately not. Are they as competitive? Definately not. Are they fun? Lots of them are. Chateau Elan is a wonderful facility, Conyers (Olympic horse pack) is nice, heck even Wills Park is well kept and maintained. Will you find THE fanciest MOST famous trainers here? Probably not. Will you find a skilled trainer? You definately can.

Board where I am now is $410/ month. At my old place in Alpharetta is was $500/ month. I believe a few other places I knew of in Alpharetta were in the $500-700/ month range. I've heard of a few places that are cheaper but don't know much about them.

~Veronica

P.S.- Cute horsie /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"The Son Dee Times"

luckyduck
Dec. 18, 2002, 03:15 PM
Huntcilff- Board is $600 per month- Residents pay $518 for board per month- Lessons $35-$60

Madison
Dec. 18, 2002, 04:25 PM
Judi - you can email me if you want board/lesson/training pricing for Jenny Gelb/Hunters Glen - my email is on my profile. Her prices are really pretty reasonable, and they are very understanding and flexible about accommodating your work schedule, as well as personalizing the care for your horse.

jetsmom
Dec. 18, 2002, 04:40 PM
This thread is making me so homesick! I spent all of my teenage yrs in Marietta, riding with Claudia. I miss it so much!!! I can still remember the smell of the early mornings (dew/smog?), getting the horses loaded to go show. Probably the most fun I ever had (showing, not loading horses...I haven't lived THAT sheltered of a life!).
Anyone here show in Marietta area back in the late 70's early 80's?
Judi, I think you will love GA. It is really pretty in the Springtime, and lots to do. Best wishes!

Just My Style
Dec. 18, 2002, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I actually think, based on what you just posted,that you will LIKE the local circuit here. Are the shows A rated? Definately not. Are they as competitive? Definately not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends how you define competitive. Trust me, the people who regularly show the local circuit are INCREDIBLY competitive. It blows my mind how seriously they take showing the local shows. Basically, it all comes down to each person's expectations and goals. I seem to find that the happiest people are the ones who set personal goals and don't bank their entire existence on the shows and/ or points.

Judi- It sounds like you have a good handle on your goals and what you are looking for in a barn and trainer. I really think that you will find someone that you are comfortable with and that you will be very happy living in this area. Email GreyMareMom. I know she will have good advice and her trainer may be an excellent fit for you.

CTM
Dec. 18, 2002, 05:23 PM
Gambit, I've been out of town for 2 days

so I'm just now seeing your question to me regarding junior years.

I took lessons at Rockridge Farm in Marietta from Pat Hamrick and had a horse I did local GHJA shows on. Do you remember having shows at Westminster School and Atlanta Country Club and Pounds Stables? Do you remember Johnson's Ferry had a one lane wooden bridge across the river? Pretty scary at night /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I remember when I-75 stopped at Windy Hill! And Alpharetta was considered way way way out on the country!

Policy of Truth
Dec. 19, 2002, 06:01 AM
"YES I did ride her, she is so sweet. She will be a very nice horse one day for you. She is very smart too She is still a little fast in her canter but calmed down with some half halts. Knows her leads, and is great at the Walk and Trot. I was aincy because I was trying to ride good for Pierre, and trying to "look good" on an OTTB is hard but I think I did a good job "looking good".... Oh well, but I loff'ed her!!!!!"

YEA!!! I knew Nicole would find me a great one! I'm flying in late Friday evening, and returning Sunday evening...I'd love to meet you! Come out Saturday eve after the wedding!

[This message was edited by pacificsolo on Dec. 19, 2002 at 10:56 AM.]

lisa
Dec. 19, 2002, 06:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cashmere:

Depends how you define competitive. Trust me, the people who regularly show the local circuit are INCREDIBLY competitive. It blows my mind how seriously they take showing the local shows.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif And Cashmere should know /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

[This message was edited by lisa on Dec. 19, 2002 at 01:16 PM.]

peepie
Dec. 19, 2002, 07:24 AM
Oh yeah, Rockridge! My first "big" show! An "A" as I remember...could that be correct? And Kathy Paxton & Anne Keenan's place "way" up 400! Wills was new...Tryon was the hot out-of-town show...schooling shows @ Shakerag...At my first trainer's barn, I rode with Laura Kent (now Laura Kraut on USET)...she was a LOT younger, but had an incredible pony, was coached by her mother, and was a fab rider at a very young age! (My brush with fame - ha ha)!
And oh, the one lane wooden bridge on Johnson Ferry! Thank God I never had to actually trailer a horse across it! Actually, back then, my trainer had a 6 horse van...everyone seemed to have a van...no one does anymore - big lumbering boxes!
Finally, 400 was built, making the daily drive to Crabapple to the barn faster...and a McDonald's on Holcomb Bridge was the kicker! I lived on double cheeseburgers from there DAILY for about 4 years! One on the way TO the barn, one on the way HOME from the barn! Musta had a tapeworm cause I never gained an ounce!
Do you remember Harry Campagna? I think he was one of the few straight guys who rode...and cute!
What was your horse's name?
I did the GHJA's too...my horse was named Kaboobi. (I didn't name him - he was shown in the A's in Florida before I owned him...was in the Chronicle a lot @ 3'6"!) He took very good care of me! I kept him as a LOFL until his death at 29! I still miss him! Gambit looks remarkably similar to him:)

good booie
Dec. 19, 2002, 07:26 AM
IMHO, Cashmere hit the nail on the head. I have been reading this thread and have hesitated to respond because it got *way* off what the poster originally asked. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif As an "older", I do train with one of the above mentioned trainer's and have a blast at shows! This is my goal. period. To have a good time training, showing, and be with my friends.

Judi, you will find what you are looking for here I promise. Atlanta is a big city and very geared towards the hunter jumper community. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Love my Quarter Horse!

GA Clique!!!

vxf111
Dec. 19, 2002, 07:30 AM
When I said local shows are 'less competitive' I meant that in a GOOD way (hence the next paragraph outlining the awesome facilities Atlanta has to offer). Less competitive as in: less about WHO you are and WHO you train with and how much you spend etc. and more about how you ride and having fun. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking our local shows... I LOVE showing here in Atlanta and wouldn't trade it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"

PlusTax
Dec. 19, 2002, 09:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I actually think, based on what you just posted,that you will LIKE the local circuit here. Are the shows A rated? Definately not. Are they as competitive? Definately not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends how you define competitive. Trust me, the people who regularly show the local circuit are INCREDIBLY competitive. It blows my mind how seriously they take showing the local shows. Basically, it all comes down to each person's expectations and goals. I seem to find that the happiest people are the ones who set personal goals and don't bank their entire existence on the shows and/ or points.

Judi- It sounds like you have a good handle on your goals and what you are looking for in a barn and trainer. I really think that you will find someone that you are comfortable with and that you will be very happy living in this area. Email GreyMareMom. I know she will have good advice and her trainer may be an excellent fit for you.

"I never met a donut that I didn't like."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's so true!! I chased points for a year on the local circuit in the childrens and it was so hard!! My horse won at As in the childrens (and later on in the juniors) and I definitly didn't win every weekend! I showed about 35 times that year at just locals and I ended up winning it with 350 points (a big accoplishment when you only get 7 for winning a class) but I was only about 15 points ahead of the girl in 2nd and within 100 of the top 6! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Also, a lot of people do both the locals and As, in the local eq finals the girls that win it ussually do the big eq at A shows too, so it can definitly get competitive! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

lisa
Dec. 19, 2002, 10:16 AM
You think 350 points is a lot? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Try both year-end champion and reserve each having over 500 points!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif That happened several years ago in the Adults. Cutthroat. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And I definitely agree that there are some not-so-well-known (yet) area trainers that can handle and deserve nice, talented horses/riders.

Spoiled Horse
Dec. 19, 2002, 10:50 AM
[/QUOTE[
YEA!!! I knew Nicole would find me a great one! I'm flying in late Friday evening, and returning Sunday evening...I'd love to meet you! Come out Saturday eve after the wedding!

[This message was edited by pacificsolo on Dec. 19, 2002 at 10:56 AM.][/QUOTE]

We will see about that, I would love to but the hard this is that we live 35miles away and it is an 1 1/4 trip to get there..... So if I do come out I need to be there like a half a day. And the wedding is at 2 ( in the middle of the freeken day) But the best time would be sunday after noon at like 1-2 then I have all afternoon too chat and work horses and do some real work. ( Nicole has some horses in need of a major main pulling's /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)
I would loff to meet ANOTHER fellow COTH'er too!!!!!

*~Charity*~
*~My Best Effort*~

Judi
Dec. 19, 2002, 02:21 PM
Since I'm scheduled to fly into Atlanta every month next year... I'll keep my eye out for a good show or two to go to and perhaps I can meet a few of you.

Outside of the weather shock of going from Desert to Humidity... I think you all sound like my kind of people and I think I'll fit in just fine.

Now if I can only convince my 9 and 11 year old boys that they're lives are NOT ending leaving California... LOL.

Sooo appreciate all the wonderful advice everyone.

: )

Policy of Truth
Dec. 19, 2002, 07:24 PM
"Now if I can only convince my 9 and 11 year old boys that they're lives are NOT ending leaving California... LOL."

I know that will be hard...do they have any special interests? Atlanta seems to have a lot to offer...

I'm sorry my more feisty side showed itself /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I'm a bit protective of my friends and trainers. I have been told I'm loyal to a fault /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I'm glad you found our input helpful. Did you try the website for the houses in Huntcliff? I hope it worked....

Khataan
Dec. 19, 2002, 08:33 PM
will at first be shocking, but then you ease into it.

My analogy when I was contemplating grad school, Hmmmmm USC, live in Compton or Georgia Tech live in the south... was this

Think about this when you step off that ariplane at Hartsfield, in the spring or summer : you are immersing yourself in a warm vat of vasaline!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

But on the bright side, you have beautiful seasons, and wonderful horse people!

Quantum Phyiscs meet Dressage...Superposition Position

CTM
Dec. 20, 2002, 04:57 AM
Gambit,

Yes, I remember Harry Campagna - it took me a second! He used to ride some horses for Pat. That's so cool that you rode with Laura! Do you come to the Bob Bell shows? Her mother RUNS the office! I remember Anne & Kathy's old place - they had some nice shows there! In April too I think which is a way better time to have shows here - it is unfortunate that Bob's shows at Conyers aren't at the best time of year weatherwise.

The shows at Rockridge were way cool - hunters on big outside courses. I remember watching Rodney Jenkins show there! And the McDonald's at Holcomb Bridge - it used to get so backed up when there were shows at Wills - there was no other place around to eat! I only showed a couple of years - I think 76,77 - on the local circuit with Pat before she went to Ocala. I had a plain black mare that Red had owned - I don't know what they called her - I called her 'Nightmare' because she was black and a mare - she actually was very sweet.

Where do you ride now? I have my horses out in Dacula and sort of freelance with trainers - Havens helped me just recently at Conyers and Chateau, and my greenie is now down with Scott Hofstetter through HITS.

luckyduck
Dec. 20, 2002, 06:10 AM
We moved to Atlanta from a small town of under 100.

We are 4 miles from where "Hell" starts....

It took me MONTHS to venture off of the Famous "Roswell" Road.

Our little world down here on the Chatahoochie is peaceful and very much coutry like and as soon as you "drive up the hill" you are back into reality.

My kids are LOVING the school here...a charter school that is almost as good as any private school we checked out.

Atlantians kids are the busiest I have ever seen.

Basketball, soccer, baseball, gymnastics, art, music, plays, ect...ect...

It is a warm place. People are not shy to help, I can't tell you how many times I have found myslef laughing with a complete stranger at the grocery store.

It took a year, but atleast Atlanta feels like a home now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK
Dec. 20, 2002, 06:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Khataan:
Think about this when you step off that ariplane at Hartsfield, in the spring or summer : you are immersing yourself in a warm vat of vasaline!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Contrary to popular belief, Atlanta is not that humid... At least not if you hail from Houston, anywhere along the Gulf Coast between Houston and Naples, or any part of Florida south of let's say, the state line. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But you do get used to it. I can now survive with only a turtleneck and a sweatshirt when it is 40, whereas before I mostly resembled the michelin man whenever it dipped below 65. Worse yet, this summer when we actually had more than the odd day of heat and humidity (as opposed to 10 months of it like my former place of residence), I found myself hot and uncomfortable. Pretty sad stuff - next thing you know I will think "below freezing" is an acceptable tempature...

But you will nevereverever get used to the insanity that is the GA system of roads and naming roads. But here is a little primer for living in Atlanta:

A guide to Atlanta, Georgia

(pronunciation is: a-LAN-uh, JAW-jah)

· Atlanta is composed mostly of one way streets. The only way to get out of downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina.

· All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree..." and include the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House..." Except that in Cobb County, all directions begin with, "Go to the Big Chicken..."

· Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Lane, Peachtree Road, peachtree Parkway, Peachtree Run, Peachtree Trace, Peachtree Ave., Peachtree Commons, Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Corners, Old Peachtree, or Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.

· Atlantans do not believe in turn signals. You will never see a native signal at a stop light, to change lanes, or to merge. Never. Ever.

· Atlanta is home of Coca-Cola. That's all we drink here, so don't ask for any other soft drink... unless it's made by Coca Cola. And even then, it's still "Coke."

· Atlantans only know their way to work and their way home. If you ask anyone for directions they will always send you down Peachtree.

· Gate One at the Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse so wear sneakers and pack a lunch. The doors on the trains in the airport do not reopen like an elevator if you stick your hand out. And they hurt.

· It's impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street where you started. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive" and has posted signs to that effect so that out-of-towners don't feel lost... they're just on a "scenic drive."

· Morning rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. Evening rush hour is from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning and lasts through 2:00 a.m. Saturday.

· Do not plan to visit Atlanta during "Freaknik". Even if you make it off the freeway into the city, you won't be able to go anywhere, and may not make it out alive.

· Reversible lanes are not understood by anybody ... especially those of us who live here. Stay out of them unless you are looking for a head-on collision.

· Outside of the perimeter "Sir" and "Ma'am" are used by the person speaking to you if there's a remote possibility that you're at least 30 minutes older than they are. In the suburbs "Sugar" is a more common form of address than "Miss." So is "Sweetpea." "Honey" is always used by Waffle House waitresses.

· Ponce de Leon Avenue can only be pronounced by a native, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation. People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you. (The Atlanta pronunciation is "pahnss duh LEE-on")

· The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules; so will daylight savings time, a girl applying eye shadow in the next car, or a flat tire three lanes over. If a single snowflake falls the city is paralyzed for three days and it's on all the channels as a news flash every 15 minutes for a month. All the grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet paper, and beer if there is a remote chance of snow, and if it does snow, people will be on the corner selling "I survived the blizzard" T-shirts.

· If you're standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you're expected to get on and go somewhere.

· It is always Smog Alert Day.

· Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life, and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta's version of Old Faithful erupts. Construction crews aren't doing their job properly unless they close down all lanes except one during rush hour.

· Atlanta's traffic is the friendliest around. The commuters spend hours mingling with each other twice a day. In fact, Atlanta's traffic is rated number one in the country. You will often see people parked beside the road and engaged in lively discussions.

· Atlantans are very proud of our race track, known as Road Atlanta. It winds throughout the city on the Interstates, hence its name. Actually, I-285, the loop that encircles Atlanta and has a posted speed limit of 55 mph (but you have to maintain 80 mph just to keep from getting run over), is known to truckers as "The Watermelon 500." Georgia 400 is the southern equivalent of the Autobahn. You will rarely see a semi-truck on GA400, because even the truck drivers are intimidated by the over-sized, SUV-wielding housewives racing home after a grueling day at the salon or the tennis match to meet their children at the school bus coming home from the college prep preschool.

· The pollen count is off the national scale for unhealthy which starts at 120. Atlanta is usually in the 2,000 to 4,000 range. All roads, vehicles, houses, etc., are yellow from March 28th to July 15th. If you have any allergies you will die.

· The last thing you want to do is give another driver the finger, unless your car is armored, your trigger finger is itchy and your AK-47 has a full clip.

Pete Seeger

CTM
Dec. 20, 2002, 07:14 AM
Hey DMK,

Thanks for the morning funnies!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

peepie
Dec. 20, 2002, 07:52 AM
Night-mare! Cute!
I have a 19 yo OTTB who is semi-retired now (navicular, but trailrideable) and keep him in Canton - there are 200 acres to ride on (trails & pastures), a pond (can't get him to swim...he only likes mudholes) and a turf track w/ starting gate. Have a couple of cute photos of him and the starting gate - it is old and so is he! He HATED coming out of the gate as a racehorse, so I hear! Come to think of it, I have seen Carol Kent's name in the prize list...
Oh, I'd forgotten about the outside courses @ Rockridge! Wow...few and far between these days! Does ANYONE have an outside course for shows here now?

Lucassb
Dec. 20, 2002, 08:49 AM
DMK,

If Judi had any doubts about all of us being Unwell... I am sure they are now confirmed! LOL

Despite all of our strong opinions, it is true that we do have a great time as a general rule. There are lots of shows and DMK (and others) can speak to the success of our Vino & Video parties.

Judi, I do hope we haven't put you off. Atlanta really is a nice place to live and ride! (And we have some very active technology marketing groups here, so also good for professional development/networking.)

Welcome!

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

vxf111
Dec. 20, 2002, 09:06 AM
Everything DMK said is true BUT I LOVE ATLANTA ANYWAY! This is seriously the nicest town, and I've lived in quite a few. When you come to visit, you might want to check out these non-horsey things as time permits...

*World of Coca Cola

*Carter Museum at Emory &lt;-- quick, free, and mummies /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

*CNN Center

*Cyclorama &lt;-- if you like history and art it's really neat. And there are horses in the cyclorama

*Phipps/ Lenox mall &lt;-- shopping madness! 2 huge malls across the street from each other, and Phipps is kinda posh

*Little Five Points &lt;-- funky/ eclectic part of town

*Virginia Highlands &lt;--quasi trendy area with resturants and bars

*Lullwater Park at Emory

Gosh, I love Atlanta! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You won't have time to do ALL this stuff but if you have to pick just one or two I say world of Coke and the cyclorama. I bet your kids would enjoy BOTH of those attractions.

I SO didn't want to move to Atlanta when I did-- but it was the best move I ever made.

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"

DMK
Dec. 20, 2002, 09:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucassb:
DMK (and others) can speak to the success of our Vino & Video parties.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I can't. All those brain cells have been destroyed. I have noooooo memory of such a party. Or parties. Or drunken debacles. Whatever they were. And I absolutley can't recall you sneaking your JRT puppy into El Azteca. Nope, no memory at all... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This week's "Big Muddy" Award goes to Trent Lott and his supporters...

"But every time I read the papers, that old feeling comes on;
Pete Seeger

Dakotawyatt
Dec. 20, 2002, 10:14 AM
I've avoided replying in this thread, but I've been following it since the beginning. What you said is sooo true about Atlanta. I grew up in Woodstock and rode with Janet Salem back when she was Janet Hulen. I now live out in the "country" and I LOVE it. Judi, everyone is fiercely loyal to their trainers...I'm in the process of trying to get back into the riding, and all of this has been helpful to me. So...Luckyduck, lets talk! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"The daughter who won't lift a finger in the house is the same child who cycles madly off in the pouring rain to spend all morning mucking out a stable." (Samantha Armstrong)

jackandlily
Dec. 20, 2002, 11:30 AM
I was just wondering if you got two horses around the beginning of the school year named Jack (now deceased /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif) and Cheyenne? If so, I just wanted to know how they were doing. I used to lease Jack before he went there and passed, so sad. Poor guy, he tried so hard for you and was so sweet. I also used to ride Cheyenne (I think you call her Happy now?), but she reared up on me one day and flipped over so I wasn't able to ride her again before she left because my back was in bad shape. Just wanted to check up on her! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Beth

Lucassb
Dec. 20, 2002, 12:10 PM
Moi? A puppy?? In a restaurant????

Nah, I can't believe it... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

matters, in the end."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

EqChick
Dec. 20, 2002, 01:17 PM
Holy, cow, I don't think I've EVER heard such an accurate description of good 'ol Lanna. All of my friends (male and female) are scared to drive with me in rush hour. I DO die every spring (well, really just come up from the grave in January to get a few breaths through the shnoz).

I have actually been hit on in traffic, can vouch for the Friday rush hour from thurday-saturday (how else can you explain traffic going south on 400 at 10PM on Friday?), and totally agree that construction is a form of entertainment of various types. I recall enjoying the cement truck falling through 10th St., and LOFF to eat lunch outside with girls from work while "overseeing" construction on Spring Street. (can I help it when the one const. crew in town with SEXXXY men just so happens to work through lunch right just a few blocks away?!?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif)

/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Must disagree with reversible lanes, though - if you're the ONE person who does understand them during rush hour, you can actually have a nice trip into town! (see friends-scared-to-drive-with-me comment above)

Oh, last note-you forgot Peachtree Crossing, Peachtree Plaza, Peachtree Place, and West Peachtree! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

peepie
Dec. 20, 2002, 01:44 PM
The CHATTAHOOCHEE (river) is also referred to as the Chatta-POO-PEE! For good reason...below Morgan Falls Dam, the water is extremely polluted - watch it if you take a dog to swim there (or you decide to raft down it) - they can get horrible blisters - happened to friend's dog and ME once...It is clean though @ Huntcliff stables, I want to add!

Judi
Dec. 20, 2002, 03:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
· Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Lane, Peachtree Road, peachtree Parkway, Peachtree Run, Peachtree Trace, Peachtree Ave., Peachtree Commons, Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Corners, Old Peachtree, or Peachtree Industrial Boulevard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DMK.. EarthLink's address is 1375 Peachtree St. LOL.... I stay at the Marriot Courtyard right next door to it when I'm in town once a month.

LuckyDuck...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We are 4 miles from where "Hell" starts....

It took me MONTHS to venture off of the Famous "Roswell" Road.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it called "Hell"?

Pacific Solo<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I know that will be hard...do they have any special interests? Atlanta seems to have a lot to offer...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My boys are both Singer/Actor/Dancer types... well my 9 year old is into Hip Hop... which is the "cool" part of dancing that is exceptable for a boy... in fact it has made him quite popular at school. Other than that they are you're basic boys who love to play with neighborhood friends... so I'm hoping to find a really kid friendly neighborhood. Hubby is a Marriage Counselor and getting his Dr. in Psychology... so he's looking into schools... which there aren't many... but I'm sure we'll work it all out.

I hate Humidity... so I'm very sure.. I'm going to have a rough time with that... So. California is desert... nice and dry... I'm sure what I'll miss most is the weather... but I'll love having seasons...

Does it ever snow there? or just rain a lot?

luckyduck
Dec. 20, 2002, 05:36 PM
That is a good reason to call it "Hell"...I have to drive all the way around Huntcliff to get to the ONLY light in hopes of getting across the street. Have even had to go all the way to North Ridge and swing back just to get to the store! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chatahoochie scared me at first too! My dogs LOVE swimming in it... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

River has LOST its SCAREY ratings...I guess just before we moved here...

Now we look across to the Row club to see if their "Danger" flag is up before we let the kids and horses go swimming! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I hate the mud....Top of our list is resurfacing! ANd then drainage. People before us thought it was okay to keep throwing manure out on the same place for like 20 PLUS years! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Oh well...clean up! cleanup !

Hey!!!!!! Today was a great day to HATE traffic. It started at around 12 and was still bad when I was making my way back home at 6:30! 400 south was bumper to bumper from exit 9 to 6 and then some! I got off at 6 and all I saw was red lights on my side and white lights on the other...speed was about 15 mph!

Oh lovely Christmas travelors! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Be on my way to the airport to get Pacific Solo in a few...hope it has died down!

AND POOR Spoiled Horse Owner had to travel backwards through it towards Dallas!

I guess if I had to name my favorite thing about Atlanta....the people. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

luckyduck
Dec. 20, 2002, 05:43 PM
I was told it was SOOOOOOOO bad....but after 10 years on the coast of North Carolina...Atlanta has been a PURE JOY! I waited all last summer for this GOD AWFUL stuff...never came....I am sure after 10 years here...I will be adjusted to it and think it is bad....but I really enjoyed my summer /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

luckyduck
Dec. 20, 2002, 05:47 PM
Yes, Jack was awesome!

My heart broke when he died. The good ones go far to quickly...and the little girl that was buying him was heartbroken as well.

Cheyenne...we now call her "Happy".... is doing wonderful. She is working hard and learning about participating WITH kids rather then trying to bully them around. Jumping courses and she has her lead changes about firgured out....as long as you don't try to run her into them /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Spoiled Horse
Dec. 20, 2002, 06:47 PM
Yah but it was not too bad going back home, Stoped at Horse Town ( I got you another pulling comb so I dont get killed if I lose yours!,LOL) It was only an 1 1/2hr back with the stop, I HATE GOING DOWN Hwy 9 to 92, the lanes are so freeken LITTLE! There was NO ONE on 92 all the way home, but it is longer to go home that way. But 120 is very very very bad! It is 8 miles shorter though.

Oh yah, my moms poor car just about could not get up that Hill, I was clucking to it, it listened to me too!!! And my truck got a new transmission by the way so it will have lots of "Horse Powder"
Off to a very hot bath after all the horses i rode, I have to get new Half Chaps too, mine are too short and big.. (Rub Rub)

*~Charity*~
*~My Best Effort*~

DMK
Dec. 20, 2002, 06:54 PM
...rest assured I wasn't - it was just something that made its way into my e-mail right after I moved up here, and having just made the mistake of thinking that "Gate 1" would be "close" when I was late for a flight, I decided that there were many truths in that list, and I would keep it for valuable reference!

Of course coming from South Florida (motto: Death Before Yielding), I find any reference to Atlantans being rude or inclined to gunfire while in traffic to be highly overstated (it's like the humidity - it's all in your perspective). As far as I am concerned, they are way too nice. Especially when it comes to letting some idiot who zipped past 2 miles of traffic on a 285 exit waiting to get onto GA400 merge in front of them and save himself a 35 minute wait that I have sat through (see above-referenced SFL motto). Not in front of MY vehicle, I promise you. I can exchange molecules with the bumper in front of me at 30 mph if need be...

But the bit about snow and rain? Totally accurate! I find the drivers quite amusing or scary, depending on whether I am on the road at the time. As a Floridian, I have a PhD in driving in rain, especially torrential downpours (that is the only kind SFL has - we called 'em "frog stranglers") And I have a distant memory of being driven in snow (Childhood in Chicago and points north). It isn't nearly as difficult as the Average Atlanta Driver thinks it is...

And for what it is worth, I have driven past (didn't dare to get on) "Peachtree Square Circle." You know they were desperate when they got to that one...

Oh yea, and after a lifetime of never having so much as an allergy sniffle, I am now 100% Medicated from about early October to ... well let's put it this way - I'm about 48 hours past my last dose of sudafed (highest possible dose) for the first time since October and I haven't got a sinus headache yet... And of course I have to take a milder allergy drug during the spring for sniffles. I am sure by next year I will just live on sudafed 11 months out of the year...

This week's "Big Muddy" Award goes to Trent Lott and his supporters...

"But every time I read the papers, that old feeling comes on;
Pete Seeger

luckyduck
Dec. 20, 2002, 07:33 PM
I forgot about the SCAREY Drivers here in the snow! And the PANIC that sets in as they rushto the store for bread and milk /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PlusTax
Dec. 21, 2002, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE]

My boys are both Singer/Actor/Dancer types... well my 9 year old is into Hip Hop... which is the "cool" part of dancing that is exceptable for a boy... in fact it has made him quite popular at school. Other than that they are you're basic boys who love to play with neighborhood friends... so I'm hoping to find a really kid friendly neighborhood. Hubby is a Marriage Counselor and getting his Dr. in Psychology... so he's looking into schools... which there aren't many... but I'm sure we'll work it all out.

I hate Humidity... so I'm very sure.. I'm going to have a rough time with that... So. California is desert... nice and dry... I'm sure what I'll miss most is the weather... but I'll love having seasons...

Does it ever snow there? or just rain a lot?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you need any help picking a school I'm sure we can help with that too! A lot of us are very familiar with them! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Also, my mom got her Dr in phsycology at Emory University in Atlanta which is an incredible school and apparently has a really good program.

If you do decide to live in the city, Druid Hills (where Emory is) is great! I've lived there my whole life, it's almost all families and there are a lot of restaraunts and parks near by /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Everyone is really nice and it's just a really friendly neighborhood, unfortunatly you have to brave GA400 to get to the barn so that's a big draw back /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

**Kelsey**
&
**Notoriety**
**Plus Tax**
**Clearly Canadian**
**Pavielle**
**Angel Face**

Khataan
Dec. 21, 2002, 02:02 PM
I forgot about the SCAREY Drivers here in the snow! And the PANIC that sets in as they rushto the store for bread and milk /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People in Atlanta are absolutley terrified at the thought that they MIGHT not be able to make french toast if there is any kind of storm. They push and shove at Publix and Kroger's to get every loaf, every single carton of eggs and ALL of the milk! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Quantum Phyiscs meet Dressage...Superposition Position

Policy of Truth
Dec. 21, 2002, 03:36 PM
Hubby is a Marriage Counselor and getting his Dr. in Psychology... so he's looking into schools

Hey! I KNOW this is a long shot, but I went to grad school at a seminary for counseling...it was in Charlotte NC, but a lot of people come up for school there from Atlanta.

They have an excellent PhD program in Marriage and Family counseling. I don't know if you are Christian or not, but that may be an option....feel free to e-mail me. A lot of PhD programs don't require but two weeks of classroom time per semester, so maybe travel (to any school) would be an option?

Policy of Truth
Dec. 21, 2002, 03:39 PM
...I've been very bad /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

I'm in Atlanta, and luckyduck has told me I must not be so mean on the BB...and she's right. I've been snappy and overly aggressive. Can you forgive this tired and bitchy soul? Please????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 21, 2002, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Coming from the stand point of a trainer...I know that clients with MONEY play a big part in getting to the BIGGER shows...and ATLANTA does not have LOTS of money...most people here are under a BIG crunch because of the economy.

Atlanta grew fast and quick....and now it is at a standstill...lots of people that had BIG jobs are being laid off...or being downsized.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmmmm, that's a fairly sweeping statement. Are you sure? New Atlanta may have hit the skids along with the dot.coms, but old Atlanta seems to be doing just fine.

And, Talleyrand and Gambit ...... my brother-in-law (George Montgomery) owns Rockridge Farm. He first bought that land in the late 1940s or early 50s and paid absolutely "nothing" for it. No one ever thought that anyone would want to be in Cobb County! Who knew?

It was originally several thousand acres.... over the years "progress" (I-575, county access roads, etc) have cut through it, and now I believe he only has about 300-400 acres left, and that part includes the old main barn where Red was until the stables shut down. The temporary stalls in the open pasture have been long gone.

On the plus side, that 300 or 400 acres is within a rifle shot from the Town Center area, so all will be fine whenever he decides to sell. Developers have been beating down the door for 20 years.

The old Atlanta horse scene was far different from the modern day scene. All the big professionals came here and competed. I watched Laura ride as a youngster, Kathy and Anne have had several of my horses at the current Hunter Hill, and Laura now rides my jumpers...... how time flies!

War Admiral
Dec. 21, 2002, 05:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hmmmmmmm, that's a fairly sweeping statement. Are you sure? New Atlanta may have hit the skids along with the dot.coms, but old Atlanta seems to be doing just fine.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense, Julie, but I beg to differ - Atlanta is economically flatlining. If all you see is the stockholders' statements you wouldn't necessarily know that - the numbers are being pumped up by artificial means - layoffs & budget cuts - we won't even go there about the accounting practices /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif - so it still looks pretty OK on paper - but it is at least flatlining if not going downhill.

Next thing we will see is the big real estate crash. You can only lay off so many yuppies holding $400k mortgages without adversely affecting the real estate market. Don't say you weren't warned. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

~SC~
Dec. 21, 2002, 08:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JulieMontgomery:
Hmmmmmmm, that's a fairly sweeping statement. Are you sure? New Atlanta may have hit the skids along with the dot.coms, but old Atlanta seems to be doing just fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It seems like the "new money" is having alot of problems, while the "old" more established money is doing fine. I live out in the suburbs where lots of "new" money and transfer-people live, and lemme tell ya, I haven't seen this many houses for sale in awhile. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I go to college with "old" money from all over, and the majority of my highschool was "old money", and I really don't know of anyone who has been that affected. Yes, my parents bitch about the stock market a great deal b/c they had alot of dot.com stock and the market in general stinks right now, but that wasn't the put-the-food-on-the-table money, that was let's-buy-another-vacation house money. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

The horse show world seems to be plugging along just fine too. It seems like everyone I know is getting a new horse or have decided to show even more this coming year (i.e. doing all of Jacksonville and Ocala instead of a few select weeks). I'm sure all the horse show management is pleased about that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

CTM
Dec. 22, 2002, 04:41 AM
Julie, That is so cool

that your brother-in-law is George Montgomery. Some of my happiest teenage memories are at Rockridge Farm. I was just a lowly lesson program student for a while, then got the one mare I showed locally with Pat. There was a fun little group of kids that rode with Pat and we had so much fun riding all over that farm! We'd gallop on the airstrip, go for a swim in the lake (the horses thought we were nuts!), etc. It was wonderful to be able to ride out like that. I loved watching the shows there - it was so amazing how people came from everywhere to show there. Those were the days... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RumoursFollow
Dec. 22, 2002, 11:56 AM
I'm from GA, and in fact I'm posting from north of atlanta just now.

I grew up here and trained here until I went to college and I could probably write a novel about my trainer experiences... but no one wants to hear about that! HAHA.

I have some input on people already mentioned:

I have ridden with Jamie Comstock. He turned my psycho (eventual) small junior into a rideable horse. He and Amy (wife) do a good job. They told us that they mostly wanted to do the horse sales thing though (this has been almost 8 years ago though) so we found a barn that wanted to go to more shows. I like them very much though.

Sunny Stevens- I was at her barn for a while but with a jumper that unfortunately never got sound enough for me to even take a lesson. We ended up donating the horse and I moved to VA to ride so I never got the chance to ride with her, but I thought she did a great job. I've seen her turn quite a few people around and make them into good riders when they were just plain scary when they came to her! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Micheal Allen- He was a very good friend of mine when I was still in GA and I would reccomend him to anyone. I think he is a great rider and has more potential than anyone realizes (himself included). I believe he also recently got engaged! I hear the barn he teaches out of now is gorgeous.

There is another trainer who I rode with for several years that I would not reccomend to anyone- not so much for her training skills but most importantly because I question her morals. I wouldn't wish what she put me through on anyone in the world and therefore would never reccomend someone go to her barn. Luckily, her name has not been mentioned here- but if the person who started this thread would like to know who she is, they can email me... for a name and an unfortunate story. I guess it should not be made quite this public. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:02 PM
Having George Montgomery as a brother-in-law is the farthest thing from "cool"..... just another unpleasant fact of life for me. Actually, I almost never use the B-I-L term in reference to him - he is merely "my husband's brother". /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif To him, I am merely "the woman my brother married". /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

C'est la guerre..... for 25+ years. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

However, Rockridge was a pretty remarkable place way back then and I have many friends who started their riding experience there back in it's heyday. During the last gasp of Rockridge (and when everyone used to speak to one another), I was not involved with horses. I was taking a hiatus, but vaguely kept up with things.

The "old Atlanta" horse group was a funny bunch. They rode hell-for-leather, which is not the same as riding well ( /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) ........ and they certainly had the means to have clinics with the finest riders of the day - and they did. Many hunted with Shakerag and made frequent (at least half-drunken) excursions up to the the Iroquois chases and so forth.

Then over time, the large part of group just dispersed .... poof! A few folks remain in various areas (mainly hunting), but the h/j crowd just scattered hither and yon. It always seemed very odd to me, as those people had the means to continue in any fashion they wished. New interests, I suppose....

I am not in the Atlanta horse loop now, but from what I hear there are some good trainers out there still. I like John Abbott, and Woody Dykers to name a few. Also, I believe Claudia M. Rowland is fine, too. I am sure there are several more as well.

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:04 PM
I am so glad that you have those good memories!

I know a number of folks who share them with you....

CTM
Dec. 22, 2002, 07:32 PM
Julie,

Sorry, I didn't know the personalities involved - I just thought it was cool that you had family that owned such a nice place. Atlanta does have some really nice people - John A and Woody are still around and considered two of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

Tripleoxer
Dec. 22, 2002, 08:47 PM
Isn't Terry Brown from that area? "Your best source for your next horse."

RumoursFollow
Dec. 22, 2002, 09:55 PM
I knew Carolyn Bell when she was just starting- she was riding for/with the trainer that I was with for some of my later high school years for a while and she was a good friend.

Is anyone here in touch with her now? I'd love to know how shes doing and what shes up to these days!

CTM
Dec. 23, 2002, 04:23 AM
Tripleoxer,

Yes Terry Brown is in Atlanta (Canton - a suburb). She is a fabulous rider and has a pretty big business going importing horses from Europe for the hunter/jumper market here. She is on the road a lot - and doesn't attend the 'A''s around here - she travels frequently to the Lousiana, Missippi, Arkansas, Missouri area for shows. People probably didn't bring her up as an idea for JUDI as this wasn't the type of situation JUDI was looking for.

Rumours Follow,

Carolyn Bell has her own farm in Alpharetta and is doing pretty well I think. She attends more of the local shows at the moment getting her own business going. From what I know of her she is a very nice person and her new farm is quite nice.

vxf111
Dec. 23, 2002, 04:48 AM
Carolyn Bell is at Fortitude Farms which I think she owns. My old barn was her "spillover" where she kept a few clients/ horses when Fortitude was full. Carolyn seems to be doing fine and is nice, although I don't know her well. She's still doing the training and showing thing-- and some of her prospects are very nice. By friend bought one and is having a lot of fun with him.

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 23, 2002, 05:59 AM
Of course you didn't know about the personalities involved, and I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it - but after a few glasses of "holiday cheer"..... well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!

I keep up with a few people who rode at Rockridge, and they still ride as "mature" ladies...........

I have just always thought it was odd the way everything with most of the old Rockridge crowd just stopped - and that was the end of that.

Piper
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:20 AM
Julie,I remember the Rockridge glory days as well. Do you remember the woman that originally owned Fire Escape? later owned and shown very successfully by Helen Horner. I always heard Fire Escape got his name from indeed escaping from a fire at Rockridge. Any truth to that?

Anyway, it is driving me crazy I cannot remember the first owner's name. Her mother was in real estate. Help!!!

lisa
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:22 AM
Could it have been Helen Pyron's daughter, Tricia?

Piper
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:24 AM
Pyron, Kim Pyron!!! That's it! This has been bugging me forever. Thanks Lisa. Now the big question-are the Pyrons still riding?

lisa
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:26 AM
I don't know if they're still riding, but Helen is still very successful at selling horsey properties.

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:40 AM
but there was a terrible fire at Rockridge. Awful. So sad.

Helen Pyron is one of my dearest friends. But our friendship developed after the Rockridge years. Helen lives just a stones throw from me in Buckhead, and we did some GHJA work together about a dozen years ago.....

Helen is still in "horse farm" real estate..... and Tricia (I think it is Tricia) is too. Since Helen has four daughters, I get confused sometimes...

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:43 AM
So now, Helen is a "horse show grandmother".

Since she has a number of grandchildren, I don't know exactly which ones ride - it's several of the granddaughters.... and they do very well!

Piper
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:45 AM
The Pyrons used to have an adorable farm right in the middle of Buckhead. Do they still live there?

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:55 AM
My house in Buckhead is right next door to the property that was owned by the Laird family. They had their own barn way back then too.

Some of you may remember Nancy Laird, who is now Nancy Crosswell. It was her family place, about 10 acres I guess. Our property is 5 acres, and several of the other neighbors are anywhere from 5-10 acres, so there are remnants of how the old days used to be there....... lots of folks had horses in the back yard and could ride trails all the way from the middle of Buckhead to the Chattahoochee River. Amazing, huh?

This all came to an end for good as the sixties came along..... many big properties carved up and that was all she wrote!

Now it is an awful mish-mash of the old Atlanta group (the minority) and the new alleged European stucco homes which the realtors describe as "Old World Charm". 99% of these new things are incredibly vast and vulgar.... poorly designed and built. The coming real estate crash that lizviola mentioned will clear some of them out, however....

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 23, 2002, 06:58 AM
Laurie, Tricia, Kim and Anne.

All of those girls rode I believe........

peepie
Dec. 23, 2002, 07:47 AM
I don't remember the fire at Rockridge!?
Perhaps I blocked it out...when...why...how many horses died? Was it as bad as Richard Wheatley's fire a few years ago? I think he lost about 30 - his and boarders...electrical...
Oh yeah, the Pyrons...
Anyone remember Rebel Brown? She was killed in an auto accident @ horse show when she was 16 - but she had been a fantastic rider...hunted w/ Shakerag...forget her horse's name...her funeral was surreal...mourners wore hunt attire, her mother carried her crop, they buried her with her horse as the "riderless horse" up in hunt country.

susan b
Dec. 23, 2002, 07:59 AM
It seems, from what I've seen, that most of the north 'horsey" crowd is or already have bailed out of the horrible Alpharetta area to Coweta County which is about 45 min. south of the airport. It is beautiful there - lots of rolling farmland, land is inexpensive and you can still drive into the big city if anyone would actually want to do that. There are quite a few warmblood breeding farms in Coweta and 3-day is absolutely HUGE in the county - $300,000 Fox Hall Cup which is a **** event.

Autumn Chase Farm is in the county with Jason Schnelle (sp?). He used to train with G.M. among others and was at one time the Canadian National Champion. www.acfarm.com (http://www.acfarm.com) . Jason has a junior rider that has qualified for Indoors at least the last two years in a row and was invited to South Africa to compete at some kind of World level junior event. The barn goes to Florida every year though I don't know how they usually do.

As far as the shows in Atlanta, the Classic company holds no less than 3 two-week long 'A' shows every year with LOTS of people on the road from Florida and the Carolina's making these shows part of their schedule. Will's Park also still has 'A' shows with people like Margie Goldstein-Engle competing there in the GP. Then there is the Biltmore which has 2 'A' shows every year.

Also, the drive from Atlanta back up to Ashville is very short so I would think there would be more shows than most could even attend.

JulieMontgomery
Dec. 23, 2002, 08:04 AM
but her father was a piece of work! And Lord knows, I remember the talk about the funeral....

He died in a mysterious fire "suicide", believe it or not. At the time, it was the talk of the horse group, but this must have been 15 years ago at least! He was in some sort of serious legal trouble when he "opted out", in a manner of speaking....

Piper
Dec. 23, 2002, 08:05 AM
Gambit-Rebel was a wonderful person and a fantastic rider. I was at the show where she was killed. So awful for everyone. Her horse's name was B Forever.

You are right. Her funeral was hard to get through.....

peepie
Dec. 23, 2002, 08:41 AM
B Forever....thanks! Wow, I didn't know about her Dad's suicide...I was out of the loop then...but he WAS a piece of work, for sure!
Yup, lots of horsey people are headin' south of Atlanta...more land, not-so-hilly terrain, good prices and don't have to deal with the traffic! I was a realtor for two years (2 yrs ago) and specialized in horse farms...only horse farms...the broker I worked with told me I was crazy when I told him of the trend for horsey people to go south...he told me it was a bad idea to market that area....boy was he wrong...and prices skyrocketed for the few available properties in Alpharetta...needless to say, I had niched myself out of the market by refusing to do "regular" real estate...if a horse farm had a home on it, that was ok....just no "subdivisions" - had no interest - went broke! Hell, I tought Helen Pyron had had the market long enough! HA HA HA!

~SC~
Dec. 23, 2002, 09:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Piper:
Pyron, Kim Pyron!!! That's it! This has been bugging me forever. Thanks Lisa. Now the big question-are the Pyrons still riding?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Pyrons themselves aren't riding, but their daughters are!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Kendall (Kim's daughter) has a Junior hunter, Arcturus, and is leasing My Cousin Vinny to show in the High Jr Jumpers. Maggie (Laurie's daughter) is showing Ursa Minor in the Younger Childrens. They ride with Hunt Tosh. Helen goes to almost every show to watch them, it's definitely a family event. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif She is still heavily involved in real estate up here in Alpharetta. They are good family friends and some of the nicest people to boot.

~Sarah~

~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~Junior Clique (Can I please still be a member?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )~ Buckle Bunnies /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif