PDA

View Full Version : Passier GG vs Relevant

lemonpoppy
Apr. 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
I'm in the market for a new saddle, and I'm looking at either a Passier GG or Passier Relevant (both used).

I'm short (5'2'') and my horse is not tall either but needs a MW tree, so my thought is that the Relevant might be a better fit. Does anyone have any insight into the differences between these two saddles.

I'm trying to get trials of both of them, but it's difficult out where I live. So if anyone knows any online places where I can trial these saddles, that would be great too.

J-Lu
May. 1, 2012, 12:21 AM
Hmmm, this is just my two cents.

Get a ride on both of them with your particular horse.

The typical GG is somewhat close contact, has a harder seat, and has a rise in the cantle that is particularly nice for curvier backed horses. Unless you purchase the extra-floxed one. The gullet width is adequate but not wide. So this depends on your horse. I've ridden in this saddle, it's comfy to me and particularly suited to certain horses.

The relevant has a much wider gullet and pommel and is designed for straighter-backed horses like the one it's named after. When Relevant engaged, his back was flatter and the saddle rested on his muscles. I've sat in this saddle and also liked it, but I see where it would suit flatter-backed horses who like a wide gullet and not curvier backed horses or TB-ish built horses.

It's definitely worth trying the two - I think they cater to very different horse builds.

Good luck!

lemonpoppy
May. 1, 2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks for this response, this is really helpful! I'll just have to get both in and see.

I just looked up a video of Relevant; maybe if I get the Relevant saddle, my horse will grow up to be like him ;)

One more question for Passier users: do they tend to run big? I keep hearing the flaps are super long. Again, I'm really short and my 17 in Bates Isabell looks HUGE on my horse. Honestly, it's also a lot of saddle for me. Should I maybe even consider the Passier Young Champ? Or would that just be toooo small.

esdressage
May. 1, 2012, 12:59 AM
There's a Passier specifically for shorter-backed horses, and you can order them with a shorter flap.

I ride in the GG and while I wouldn't say they run huge, the fact that it's a shallower seat than a lot of the new deeper-seated saddles makes it feel roomier, if that makes sense. I ride in a 17" GG and am more comfortable in a 17.5 of some of the deeper-seated saddles.

Really, the best bet is to try them, no matter how hard that is in your area, because it's a lot harder to have to go back and sell a saddle that doesn't work and start all over from scratch.

Have you heard of Trumbull Mountain Tack? They have a really great trial policy (they'll ship it to you to try) and they are also really helpful fitting you and your horse. If you go to their website, they have tracing information to send them a tracing of your horse to help fit him, and then they also have you send photos and info about you to help fit you. They can suggest saddles that would work, and have a great used saddle inventory.

Here's their site: http://www.trumbullmtn.com/

Good luck! :)

lemonpoppy
May. 1, 2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize Trumball Mtn has such a generous trial policy.

Bronte
May. 1, 2012, 04:42 PM
I ride in a GG and love it, it's my third. I am also small on a extra wide mare. I have always ridden in a 17.5 but this time much against everyones advice, I bought a 16.5. :eek:

Yes Passier runs big, it actually measures 17". The flaps are shorter in keeping with the seat and for the first time I do not need set back sturrip bars. I love it, it fits perfectly, leg under no continuous shifting forward. I think we smaller woman have often found ourselves in saddles way to big.:cool:

lemonpoppy
May. 1, 2012, 11:51 PM
I think you're definitely right Bronte. I just found this on the Schleese website, thought it was interesting

http://www.schleese.com/waistsandtwists