PDA

View Full Version : saddle is getting snug. Can it be adjusted

blairasb
Apr. 30, 2012, 10:58 AM
I have a question about my saddle. My ASB recently went back into full time work and switched to dressage . His topline has a long way to go but has really been filling out more quickly than I thought it would. He's in a Stubben Tristan with a 32 CM tree. It was a really good fit on him initially but now seems to be getting a little snug- saddle is sitting just a bit uphill instead of level and if you put your hand under the front saddle and run it downward, it gets a little snug about half way down.

I have never had a saddle reflocked/adjusted. I know that sometimes an adjustment of the flocking can help with one that is too wide. Is it ever possible to fix one that is getting a teeny bit narrow through reflocking? I am reluctant to leave my Tristan behind- I don't like the deep seated/huge knee roll type saddles that are so popular..... and am not in a financial position to spend a bunch on a new one.

if not, any thoughts on brands I should look at to fit him that aren't going to break the bank or drive me crazy? He's got prominent withers and well sprung ribs but isn't a particularly wide horse.

joiedevie99
Apr. 30, 2012, 11:16 AM
The tree in a Stubben Tristan isn't meant to be adjustable. I've heard of a few people who will do it, but my understanding is that it is never a good idea. Those tend to be lightly flocked saddles to start with, so I'm not sure how much you can gain by removing flocking.

If you and he like the saddle, I'd start shopping for the same thing with a wider tree. No reason to change something that isn't broken. If I were you, I'd be looking for a 34cm (since you expect him to continue growing). A 33cm might do the trick for right now, but isn't a ton of extra room. You can use a half pad with the 34cm until he fills it out.