PDA

View Full Version : Please fill me in (I'm new):)

SaddlePad
Oct. 22, 2000, 11:24 PM
Okay, could someone please explain two things to me. Firstly, what is this Porch/Stairs/Lawn thing that you're all talking about? I'm soooooo confused (my ignorance knows no shame). And secondly, what's with all these cliques (the VA clique, the CA clique, the TX clique, and yes I know what states those are /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif). Also, there should be a Canadian clique, for all of us ppl up north!! (I know there's enough of you on here!). If you could answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated (I'm new, and also not the brightest crayon in the box! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). Thanks.

SaddlePad
Oct. 22, 2000, 11:24 PM
Okay, could someone please explain two things to me. Firstly, what is this Porch/Stairs/Lawn thing that you're all talking about? I'm soooooo confused (my ignorance knows no shame). And secondly, what's with all these cliques (the VA clique, the CA clique, the TX clique, and yes I know what states those are /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif). Also, there should be a Canadian clique, for all of us ppl up north!! (I know there's enough of you on here!). If you could answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated (I'm new, and also not the brightest crayon in the box! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). Thanks.

Finzean
Oct. 22, 2000, 11:35 PM
LOL - I've been here for some time and took a few weeks to myself (long work schedule) and am completely lost to some of it....

The Porch Annex - not sure what that is all about but seems to be a gathering of new imigres (spelling?) intent on coercing all of the COTH posters to abandon good behaviour, drink lots of cider (among other things), and sit on the porch with their canine companions.... but I'm not sure, so don't put too much stock in this! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The CA Clique - search under devildog
The VA Clique - see Kennet Square, Duffy, Inverness, Kryswyn, and all others who frequent places such as Moseby's! Unlike other geographic cliques, there is some sort of treaty/extradition agreement between VA and UT!!!! (see Colin)
The TX Clique - search under names such as Portia and ctt

You should start a Canadian Clique! Which reminds me, where is Jar? And that reminds me...where are Jeb and Moesha?

See, this is what I get for lurking...
Welcome to the board! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Duffy
Oct. 23, 2000, 12:04 AM
I thought there was a Canadian Clique already! See: Jair /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Saddlepad and I have already met. She has great taste in GP coats! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The VA Clique does not discriminate against those from out-of-state, or even from out-of-country. We accept free drinks from anyone willing to pay! Heh Heh /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Guess the Over 40 Clique was sort of self-explanatory, huh. . .LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OnyxThePony
Oct. 23, 2000, 01:54 AM
There is a Canadian clique, eh. TinCan, I mean Jaded (must be french for TinCan??) were "it" over on Equisearch, where the porch used to be till the Americans tried to take it to Vegas for the World cup and ended up gambling it away, eh.
So now thanks to all the COTHers (who like to think they are being corrupted but you will never see signs of disargument when we bring out the ol Newfoundland Screetch, eh) we have this new porch over here to hang out on.
And ok, so grab yer twofour and pull up some porch eh, and we'll talk about the differences between Canajain riders from Torrana and them Americains, eh, cos they all think we live in igloos and speak french, eh.

Kachoo
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:08 AM
No doot aboot it Bosshoss, no doot aboot it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Cheers,
Susie
http://www.geocities.com/kachoom

[This message has been edited by Kachoo (edited 10-23-2000).]

Portia
Oct. 23, 2000, 11:43 AM
When E-search recently changed their board format pretty drastically, there was a mass defection and the poor, homeless e-searchers needed a place to come. So those of us who were visitors to both camps showed them the way over here. They are the founders of the original Porch. For the explanation of the founding of the Porch (along with the stairs and lawn) see the thread titled "The Porch Annex." /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Do not be put off by the Cliques. You can be a member of as many cliques as you want. I personally am in the Over-40 Clique, the Texas Clique, and the California Clique (because that's where I was born and raised.) You are also free to start whatever new cliques you may desire.

You may also be interested in joining some of our food-rights groups, such as People for the Ethical Treatment of Fromage (dedicated to protecting the baby quiche), Save the Baby Carrots, and the Peeps Defense Fund. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Canter
Oct. 23, 2000, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaddlePad:
Okay, could someone please explain two things to me. Firstly, what is this Porch/Stairs/Lawn thing that you're all talking about? I'm soooooo confused (my ignorance knows no shame). And secondly, what's with all these cliques (the VA clique, the CA clique, the TX clique, and yes I know what states those are /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif). Also, there should be a Canadian clique, for all of us ppl up north!! (I know there's enough of you on here!). If you could answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated (I'm new, and also not the brightest crayon in the box! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course...there IS a Canadian clique and lucky you, we're still accepting members.

You've arrived at COTH not a moment too soon.
Rather than list our membership, you'll meet us all soon enough - or read any topic on COTH pertaining to Eric...that one certainly got us all talking.

Our Moseby's is the Fox & Hound at the RAWF.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 10-23-2000).]

Jaded
Oct. 23, 2000, 11:54 AM
LOL@BossHoss and Kachoo! You gotta love a country who's pride can be summed up in cool Labatt Blue commercials, eh!!! I think eil go and fetch ma toque now eh and feed da dugs, cause ya know if yanna don't feed dem dugs they jusin won't be willin to skip en down to the Crietiens for sum water cause ya know noten all us here Canajains haven the runnin water in us here igloe /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif If you understood that you can join the Canadian Cligues http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Inverness
Oct. 23, 2000, 12:05 PM
Jaded, I know what a toque is!! Do I get in?

Palisades
Oct. 23, 2000, 12:22 PM
How come I never heard about the Canadian clique? You guys gotta sign me up! Not only do I know what a toque is, I also understand Chretien and have been to the Fox and Hound.

Canter
Oct. 23, 2000, 12:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Palisades:
How come I never heard about the Canadian clique? You guys gotta sign me up! Not only do I know what a toque is, I also understand Chretien and have been to the Fox and Hound. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gosh-I thought you already were a member Pal!

Repeat after me. I Palisades, do solemly swear to do my best, to uphold my "eh" and will never have a doot aboot wearing a touque, protecting the beaver and I promise to protect those things near and dear to my Canadian heart, speak houtta da corner hove my mout' and to drink beer and watch others play hockey for hockey is not my sport of choice.

All done, you're in *lol.

JOH
Oct. 23, 2000, 12:45 PM
Wow! So many Eastern Canucks! Wonderful! TinCan - I mean Jaded - or any of you others - is there an on-line Canadian site that sells supplements like Glucosamine, etc. for less than an arm and a leg? I don't want to even figure out the exchange rate on the US sites (scary - what's our dollar worth now? 10 cents US?).

Welcome SaddlePad!

DMK
Oct. 23, 2000, 12:53 PM
So, Duffy, is there an extradition treaty for Georgians to join the VA clique (we are one of the 13 original colonies, so I think an exception can be made /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ), or do I have to stay as head of the Protection for Quiches Clique?

Portia, since I am a native Houstonian, does that mean I get honorary TX status?

ooooh, I'm SOOOOOO excited!

OnyxThePony
Oct. 23, 2000, 01:14 PM
Inverness..almost.. do you or anyone you know have a furry/fluffy white/black/brown/orange dog that somewhat resembles a wolf and whose intended purpose is to pull a sled, but they don't 'cause now you use a quad instead??

Jair
Oct. 23, 2000, 01:54 PM
Welcome Saddlepad! Your innocent question about who's who may result in many hours of addiction as you follow all of our adventures on line...

Palisades! I thought you had started the Canadian clique! I also take your oath Canter, and solemnly swear to continue saying things like "Its a nice day, eh?" or How's it going eh?", and of course,

The beaver is a proud and noble animal!

My name is Jair. and I am CANADIAN!

RumoursFollow
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:12 PM
I am a self proclaimed wannabe member of the VA clique. Reasons being that even though my horse and my trainer are in VA, I seldom find myself in the state... as well as I didnt make Middleburg Classic /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif So.. no Moseby's for me.. yet! I will make it some day /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:18 PM
Forget the porch annex, can we deem this thread the Infrequently-used Canadian Deck Annex, built from a kit bought at Canadian Tire and usable for the two months a year that mother nature deems us worthy of heat?
We can sit outside, on overturned Beckers milk crates, shivering in our parkas, wearing Kodiaks, chugging back Labatts Blue, and wondering in that polite and cynical way of all Canadians, 'who do you think'll care less about the Canadian horse industry, Day or Chretien?'. I did feel sorry about the unfortunate political options confronted by Americans; that was before Chretien called the election....I bet, though, Day looks better in a wetsuit than either Gore or Bush.

[This message has been edited by heidi (edited 10-23-2000).]

rusty
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:23 PM
I am going to be working for a Canadian company. So can I join the Canadain clique? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Canter
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:28 PM
Three beers for the Canadian Deck Annex! Hip- hip-eh? hip-hip-eh? hip-hip-eh!

Of course you qualify Rusty. Just be sure to bring a big bottle of mosquito repellant - seems a big part of being Canadian is the ability to give blood many times a year.

Blinky
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:37 PM
Thanks to some Newfie friends, I've had Screech. It'll burn a hole in ya!

Jaded
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:37 PM
Ah! Canadians rejoice! There are a lot of us here eh? We will bow down before our president, Tim Horton, wearing our toques and sorrel boots tucked into our turtle necks. With dog sled we will travel across country in June to get to our one and only airport which houses one 2 passenger airplane which is plenty for us. We will have a Blue in one hand (REAL beer)and seal blubber in the other and be proud of our drug using Olympians (equestrian and others) and very proud of our gun laws. We'll be thankful that our horse shows have no rules, that the CEF will refuse to return your phone calls and/or e-mails if you have a question and amatuer and pros roam free together. All this while we gaze up at our flag planted firmly in the top of our igloo; the beautiful red strips on a field of white with a funny red marijiuana leaf in the middle! LOL!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JOH> haven't found any good Canadian places to buy stuff like that but I suggest taking a look at Greenhawk if you haven't already. That's where I buy my glucosimine and it's by far the best in my area anyways. Good luck

Quinn
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:40 PM
Okay, I really don't like beer BUT I really DO like the Labatt commercial, so that must qualify.

Count me in. If my very dear friend is reading this right now, she can also attest to the fact I wear an orange toque to the barn.......so I must qualify!!!!

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:46 PM
Quinn, as the owner of an orange toque, I believe you're now president of the deck annex, eh.

Jaded
Oct. 23, 2000, 02:52 PM
Ah! But does your orange toque have a pom-pom!!!! *steps back, puts on orange toque with pom-pom and watches everyone bow before her*

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:04 PM
But do you jam on your toque over your ears or is it perched, ever so jauntily, on the top of your head leading many to think that you have a mighty tall head?

Jair
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:05 PM
The pom-pom is good Jaded... but do you have an official hockey jersey to wear with it? That's very important you know. I have a legitimate, but old, Calgary Flames hockey shirt with the big orange and red flaming "C" on it, that would probably go well with your orange toque.

Talk about Bob and Doug MacKenzie! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Canter
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:14 PM
and you can't wear just anything on your feet. Only a pair of (white) K-Swiss or Stan Smiths will do. But if you're wearing jeans a pair of white tube socks is derigeur...and looks real sharp with the orange poom-poomed touque and hockey jersey.

I am Canadian!

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:21 PM
I'm uncomfortable and offended by the suggestion that a hockey jersey is more Canadian than a flannel shirt from Mark's Work Wearhouse.

BTW, anyone notice that Saddlepad hasn't returned to the board since the post yesterday. Think we scared them?

Canter
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:24 PM
LOL heidi! actually the red & black flannel shirt has always been called the "Knorr Dinner Jacket"

Methinks saddlepad has headed for Texas poor filly.

brilyntrip
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:30 PM
I am not currently a memeber of a clique since when im on no one else is!!! but I am totally confused by the baby carrot and quiche thing ?????/

Canter
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:35 PM
Join our membership brilyntrip. We'll keep you safe from the Fromage protectors and baby quiche societies...but you might have to develop a taste for poosicles and catsiroles...

Quinn
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:37 PM
Mine did in fact have a pom pom BUT one of our former schoolies BUZZ LIGHTEARS, pulled it off when I stood too close to his stall grid! I also ride in my insulated overalls and kodiak boots. Hey, it's Canada!

And Heidi, I pull that baby right down over my ears and again because - IT'S CANADA.....so it's pretty darned cold eh???

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:41 PM
Now that we have a few shivering Canadians assembled with butts firmly planted on Beckers milk crates - - what's the best thing about riding in Canada, and what's the worst.

Best: Spruce Meadows, less elitism in Canada on the 'A' circuit, beautiful hacking in the fall, some wonderful horse/rider combos waiting in the wings, and the Roots leather jacket awarded at Collingwood.

Worst: Weather, taxes, we sell our horses on too early (usually to Americans), too few truly savvy pros on the business side of the sport, and previously indifferent civilian friends who ask, "do you know Eric Lamaze and how many other riders do coke?"

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quinn:
Mine did in fact have a pom pom BUT one of our former schoolies BUZZ LIGHTEARS, pulled it off when I stood too close to his stall grid! I also ride in my insulated overalls and kodiak boots. Hey, it's Canada!

And Heidi, I pull that baby right down over my ears and again because - IT'S CANADA.....so it's pretty darned cold eh???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, Jaded, Quinn remains president. Sorry about your luck but Quinn had the correct answer to the prize winning quiz on the back of the Lotto 649 ticket. Though Quinn has confessed to a distate for beer...

Canter
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:56 PM
...yes heidi a distaste for beer but hey, she DOES have those Greb Kodiak boots.

Bonus points if they're steel toed.

Ouch. I'm getting a waffle pattern on my butt from these milk crates. Where's my Muskoka chair?

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 03:59 PM
Sorry Canter, had to chop up the chair to build the deck and heat the house. What kind of Canajun are you BTW, if you can't handle a waffle imprinted bum. Better traction when tobogganing.

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 04:08 PM
Stable, I'm hoping the irony isn't lost on those who perhaps believe, shortsightedly, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Talk about coded messages - Saddlepad's never gonna come back now.

Canter
Oct. 23, 2000, 04:16 PM
Hey so long as you throw another log on that fire, I'm sure she'll be back. Probably just wandered out for some weiners & beans and a two-four.

SaddlePad
Oct. 23, 2000, 05:18 PM
No one fret, I am back!!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif You didn't scare me off, I just had S-C-H-O-O-L, I learned how to spell that today, eh! Ya know, skool (oops, I already forgot today's lesson), the giant igloo with all the dog sled's parked out front in the crappy spaces, while the teachers have their snowmobiles close to the front doors. *lol* I also learned how to say "no doot aboot it" properly today. Our prime minister still can't do that, he speaks neither national language! I am now an official member of the Canadian clique, may we continue using words like toque, chesterfield, and serviette, and keep up our only two sacred traditions, drinking Labatt Blue and waiting for Hockey Night in Canada to see the game and what Don Cherry will be wearing next. My name is SaddlePad, and I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
PS- We're meeting at the RAWF at the Fox and Hound on Nov. 3rd, right? I'm showing that day, but I'll change and meet you all there (and the rest of the ppl on the EMG BB that don't come on here yet). The password is "poo" right? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by SaddlePad (edited 10-23-2000).]

Jaded
Oct. 23, 2000, 05:24 PM
but..but..but..WAIT! K, picture this: me sitting on my milk crate in steel toed winter boots that go up to my knees, hot pink snow pants that yes, I will admit I ride in on very cold days. A matching hot pink and yellow pouffy jacket half un zipped showing my maple leafs jersey and a pair of those warm thinselate glose that you can turn into golves and mitts. I ahve a pruple head band that covers my ears that lets me wear my orange toque with the pom pom just on the top of my head making my head look gigantic. But wait that's not all!! Don't forget the snow goggles, and the neck warmer. I also have about 6 beer beside me chillin' in a self made snow bank and a thermos of "special" coffee on the other side and under my butt is one of those ice fishing hot seats. Am I prepaired or what??

Best thing about riding in Canada: definatly Spruce! I think Spruce beats all /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Plus in the winter, snow is really soft to fall on

Worst things: less shows, no serious competition, cold in the winter, hardly any good horses left, no big winter shows, very cold in the winter, few really good riders with not many rising GP riders (ie we've had the same bunch of riders represent us for what seems like the last 20 years) and it's really very cold in the winter /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaded:
but..but..but..WAIT! K, picture this: me sitting on my milk crate in steel toed winter boots that go up to my knees, hot pink snow pants that yes, I will admit I ride in on very cold days. A matching hot pink and yellow pouffy jacket half un zipped showing my maple leafs jersey and a pair of those warm thinselate glose that you can turn into golves and mitts. I ahve a pruple head band that covers my ears that lets me wear my orange toque with the pom pom just on the top of my head making my head look gigantic. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oooh, I don't know. You sound a bit too colourful for our subdued Canadian sensibilities to be elected president (no, change that PRIME MINSTER!!) of the deck. In fact, sound kinda 'merican - maybe the Virginia clique is holding elections. How big is your hair (when not packed down in toque)? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jaded
Oct. 23, 2000, 05:39 PM
oh darn, I'll have to answer this question very carefully.....my hair is in a pony tail....did that work? Can I be vice president, I'll ditch the pink pants for... lets see I have a blue pair too (navy) and the jacket for....my lumber jack jacket, hows that? better? lol! Do you want my hot seat? gee talk about bribery but hey wait! I'm being polite! HA! Now that's Canadian!

OnyxThePony
Oct. 23, 2000, 05:41 PM
Hey, eh. Who Wants to Be a Canadian Millionaire (wassat, like $45 US???)!!

Goodyfourshoes!
Oct. 23, 2000, 05:43 PM
I AM CANADIAN too.

The worst thing about riding in Canada - INDOOR ARENAS 8 months of the year. I have to laugh when people talk of "Covered Arenas" in the states. Mine is so tightly insulated its a dark tomb. But it's still freezing!!!!

Our barn shows in Michigan all the time, and it's such a hoot to forget where we are and let slip "pop" (it's not pop, silly, it's SODA) or ask where the "washroom" is (it's a BATHROOM - even though you don't bathe there /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Well, I'm leaving work now and I have the sled dogs all warmed up. Can't wait to get home now that we have satellite TV in the igloo /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SaddlePad
Oct. 23, 2000, 05:59 PM
Worthy - oops, I forgot about pop and washroom (we don't really wash there either, just our hands *hopefully*) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And in all seriousness, while we don't have the # of shows as the USA, or # of horses, we DO have serious competition, and for a nation that has what, like one one zillionth of the population as the US, we're not doing too bad. And I did the math and I believe that $1 million Cdn. is $52.63 USD, so don't short change us!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JOH
Oct. 23, 2000, 06:04 PM
LOL - Hey, Blinky - did you get Screeched In or just drink it? Didya kiss the cod? Eh? *G*

Good things about riding in Canada:
.....um...well, buying horses in Canadian funds is cheaper than in the US.
Bad things:
Riding in mosquitoe/blackfly season, mud season, ice season, freezing ass cold season, high humidity season.....geez, why do we live here? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 06:15 PM
I think Quinn's first act as Canadian Deck President should be to move us all to California.

Palisades
Oct. 23, 2000, 08:41 PM
Heck, no, Heidi! What would we do without the Fox and Hound (not to mention the earthquakes...I';ll take cold weather, thanks!).

Ooh, watch yourself Stable. If you keep inviting me to drink beer when I'm a minor, I might have to sic one of those mounties on you!

Best thing about Canada: the fact that no one actually works here! (I'm judging by the fact thatthere were 30 posts on this thread in one afternoon).

Canadian question time: what do you wear to the barn on those cold days? I usually have on a thermal undershirt, 2 sweatshirts, my winter jacket, a toque, a scarf, 2 pairs of gloves, heavy socks, winter riders, long johns, and jeans. And no, I'm not joking!

Oh yeah, and BTW...do not attempt to mount a 17.2 hand horse off of a short mounting block with all that clothing on. It just doesn't work!

Oh, I thought of my other favourite Canadian thing. Quarter sheets! I had mine custom made for my horse, in navy blue polar fleece with his name embroidered on it. Anyone else with a cool quarter sheet?

And Jair, let's not forget the whole "if you don't import your horse from Europe or the States, it's not a real horse thing". Love that snobbiness!

Saddlepad: what horse will you be showing at the Royal? I can't stay for the nighttime meeting at the Fox and Hound, but I'll be there during the day on the 3rd, and I'll look for you!

OnyxThePony
Oct. 23, 2000, 08:55 PM
Check out my post on the favorite show clothes.
Best things about Canada- we all buy our horses off the track and compete with the big ones LOL. Relatively cheap horses. Indoor arenas. Seasons. Lots of Land. Big turnouts and grass pastures. Riding with your dogs on 1000's of acres of mountain wilderness. Wildlife like moose, bears, wolves, etc. We have Toronto. We can get away from Toronto.
Worst things about Canada- Competing in classes where there are 1/2 $$$ horses and half OTTBs. Relatively no 'good' homebred horses. Being stuck in the indoor arena. Walking 20 mins to find a horse on the back pasture. The wardrobe you need to keep you and your horse up with the seasons.

jumpsalot
Oct. 23, 2000, 09:40 PM
Oh- the memories. May I join as the wife of a French Canuck? Yes HE thinks Canada & PQ should stay together.
He still gets his name announced every year at the RAWF for the Puissance record there -OOH AHH- please - hold the applause.
Things I learned
While living in
Quebec(Perth & Guelph,too)
1. Go to an OB who speaks the same language- so that you can ask for drugs-and not just Gravol

2.Your camper hose CAN freeze at a horse show in June.
3.Your horse's passport picture CAN be as bad as yours-unfortunately- his is for life.
4.The mosquitos ARE seen on the Dorval radar.
5.You CAN walk the course at the RAWF in high heels. Those Sorels just did not look right to me- all the natives said otherwise,though.
6.Canadians do say, EH, eh?
7. It DOES pay to know Ian Millar when returning from a Canton show at 11 at night wearing a strange hat to cover up helmet head.
8. You MUST listen to music while riding- 8 months in the indoor gets really OLD.
9. Horses CAN survive without turnout,especially when the snowbanks are over the doors in height.
10. You must own a blade for the front of your truck that has snow tires on it, just so you can go to the grocery store, or to Beckers -at least.
11. Tim Horton's RULES!!!!!And they have really, really hot coffee.
12. The sound of a moose mating call during rut is QUITE similar to the screech of a banshee.
13.Hammanol smells like smoked meat.
14. Bromont has great poutin at the concession stand.
15.It is quite nice to sit on the chesterfield drinking tea- with milk- while it is -40 outside.
16. You REALLY do clip horses when it is -40 outside
17. You REALLY do clean tack when it is -20 outside- of course, the slightly heated tackroom does help, somewhat-along with the electric kettle.
18.Layering is GOOD.
19.The metric system IS easy to learn.
20.A sugaring off is a real event held in a real sugar shack- love that maple syrup!!!!!!
That is all I can think of now!!!!!

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 23, 2000, 10:07 PM
Of course you can join the Canadian Deck - in fact, given the climatic hardships you've suffered, I elect you as patron saint!

OnyxThePony
Oct. 24, 2000, 12:56 AM
OMG *bows down to the king of all CoffeeShops* HOW did I forget Tim Hoo-hoo's??????They may be the only reason in the world why I coulnd't leave Canada for Texas.
OK, I'm an idiot who can't remember yesterday let alone who holds the puissance record at RAWF.. who please?

DH
Oct. 24, 2000, 01:54 AM
I swear Timmy's puts crack or something in their coffee...mmmmmmm...can't get enough. Toyed with buying shares since we invest so much there...

I have the toque above all toques. It is a space age THINSULATE toque, which goes quite flatteringly with the thermal undies, polar fleece breeches and snowpants to top it all off. There's nothing like feeling as warm and squishy as a marshmallow on horseback. I do indeed have insulated steeltoes also, which are less fun to ride in than you'd think. The older I get, the more insulated things I seem to need...

Finally sorted out the cold toes thing. I went to Crappy Tire last winter and bought the electric socks, eh? (no joke! what a godsend!) There is nothing more pathetic than the collapsing squeek of a rider popping off a 16.2hh beastie onto frozen toes.

I will be at the Fox & Hound on the 9th, any takers on the Thursday festivities? I am a lurker from way back on both the EMG and COTH and finally have something to contribute with my chilly Canadian brothers and sisters.

P.S. Most exciting weekend - picked up a new polar fleece ear doo-dad at the Greenhawk sale - I am READY for winter this time around.

OnyxThePony
Oct. 24, 2000, 02:22 AM
DH, dont worry about the shares.. friends of ours looked into buying one of the Tim's franchises (to be built) and were looking at 2 million bucks. 2 million, for a coffee shop. Wow. Wow. What's a coffee cost, about $.75?? But then, we need the stuff to keep us warm... Eletric socks at Crappy Tire, really? Oh yeah, Greenhawk. Love/hate relationship for a store that sells alternatly great quality stuff at great prices, and total crap. I bought my heavy winter blanket 1800 denier one piece with the full neck flap thingie on sale at the Spruce Masters for like $160. Gotta love Greenhawk!!

Quinn
Oct. 24, 2000, 08:55 AM
But, you've got to love our government! Announced last week is the idea to mint a $0.03 coin. Now that will be precious. If we didn't have weighty pockets before....and they don't believe it would be in good taste to have Pierre E. Trudeau's likeness appear on the said coin because...........that would "cheapen" his memory. So we would do it because????????? Gotta love it.

Good stuff - beautiful hacking country.
Bad stuff - our dollar is pretty much worthless, fewer and fewer good winter schooling shows.

Heidi ~ I don't think we'd really and truly like it in California. Too hot. Sand fleas. Weird accents. A little "out there." As Canadians we still enjoy some great stuff. Okay, I'm thinking. Be back to you.

JRG
Oct. 24, 2000, 09:16 AM
Things I really miss back home that these my American friends just don't get:
1) Tim Hortons Coffee (boy do I miss this)

2) All Dressed Potato Chips

3) Clamato Juice- love those ceasars

4) Butter Tarts

5) Resterants that list back bacon as such
and not "Canadian Bacon"
6) The Royal Winter Fair/ The Ex. (summer)

Up untill the last one, can you see a theme"

Things I don't miss about being back home:

1) Riding a horse dressed like the
"Pilsbury Doughboy"

2) De-icing the trailer in November

3) Having to deal with "basic tack", and
not being able to find better stuff
without paying an arm and a leg
4) 15% tax

5) and taking out a mortgage to get gas for
my truck.

Canter
Oct. 24, 2000, 12:16 PM
jumpsalot - I second your nomination as Patron Saint *LOL

Your "pountin" is "poutine" neither version really fit for human consumption. No wonder hubby holds the indoor record...

Did hubby ever introduce you to the Bonhomme?
Now that's even weirder than poutine.

My shoulders are starting to creep up around my ears from the cold. heidi! throw another log on...I can see frost on the windowpanes!
Who is wearing their touques to the Fox & Hound? Shall we add those funny socks with the toes to the ensemble?

Stable is Canadian. Canter is American. with the exchange rate that makes me worth about 3 cents...

The best thing about winter in Canada...

heated indoor arenas!!!! Giddyap.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 10-24-2000).]

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 24, 2000, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Canter:

Stable is Canadian. Canter is American. with the exchange rate that makes me worth about 3 cents...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And worthy of a new coin in your honour Canter - see Quinn's post above.

Best thing: heated viewing rooms, claiming horsie's Rambo turnout blanket for myself. C'est tres warm and tres chic in a very tasteful shade of purple.

BTW, bargain tip of the day - it's cheaper to buy from the manufacturer in Ireland (at 1/3 of its CDN cost) and pay the shipping/duty.

JOH
Oct. 24, 2000, 01:14 PM
OH GAWD, DH - you have to remind me of dismounting onto frozen toes. It's hot here today in the Maritimes (I know, all you SoCals, 70 deg. F is your sweater weather, but I'm sitting here sweating!).

I'm trying to move a mountain of shavings into the barn before it freezes for the winter.

Mmmmmm....butter tarts.

Let's not forget water trough de-icers and icicles hanging from your equine's whiskers. Also, breaking up the ice in the water buckets (an invigorating winter sport) and tunneling through the snow drifts to get to the barn in the morning (I often cross country ski to the barn). /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Meshach
Oct. 24, 2000, 01:32 PM
As the only daughter (American, grew up in NY) of two Canadians (originally from Montreal grew up around NDG, English not French), I must have at least a guest membership in this clique.

When I go up to visit the relatives, who mostly all live in Toronto, I have to stock up on Aerobars, SMARTIES!!!, and coffee crisps. I do that after I've gotten over my hangover from drinking too many caesers with my cousins. If in Montreal, after eating a smoked meat sandwich.

but gotta ask what's up with the milk being in plastic bags? Always thought that was a little weird /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Portia
Oct. 24, 2000, 01:39 PM
Being a San Diego native and having relatives in Calgary, I always thought there was a direct pipeline from Canada to So. Cal. My aunt and uncle and cousins always managed to be in San Diego for Christmas. They ended up buying a very nice mobile home, which they keep it in a very nice trailer park that is filled with a whole buch of other winter refugees from Western Canada.

Jaded
Oct. 24, 2000, 01:42 PM
Got this in the mail, thought it was fitting /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

> > > > You know you're from Canada when ...> > > >
> > > > 1. You only know three spices: salt, pepper and> > > > ketchup.> > > >
> > > > 2. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a> > > > snowsuit.
> > > >> > > > 3. The mosquitoes have landing lights.> > > >
> > > > 4. You have more miles on your snow blower than> > > > your car.> > > >
> > > > 5. You have 10 favourite recipes for moose meat.> > > >
> > > > 6. Canadian Tire on any Saturday is busier than> > > > the toy stores at
> > > > Christmas.> > > >
> > > > 7. You live in a house that has no front step, yet
> > > > the door is one meter> > > > above the ground.> > > >
> > > > 8. You've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a> > > > blizzard.> > > >
> > > > 9. Driving is better in the winter because the
> > > > potholes are filled in with> > > > snow.> > > >
> > > > 10. You think sexy lingerie is tube-socks and a
> > > > flannel nightie with only> > > > 8> > > > buttons.> > > >
> > > > 11. You owe more money on your snowmobile than> > > > your car.> > > >
> > > > 12. The local paper covers national and
> > > > international headlines on 2> > > > pages,
> > > > but requires 6 pages for hockey.> > > >
> > > > 13. At least twice a year, the kitchen doubles as
> > > > a meat processing plant.> > > >
> > > > 14. The most effective mosquito repellent is a> > > > shotgun.> > > >
> > > > 15. Your snowblower gets stuck on the roof.> > > >
> > > > 16. You think the start of deer season is a> > > > national holiday.
> > > >> > > > 17. You head south to go to your cottage.> > > >
> > > > 18. You frequently clean grease off your barbecue
> > > > so the bears won't prowl> > > > on your deck.> > > >
> > > > 19. You know which leaves make good toilet paper.> > > >
> > > > 20. The major parish fund-raiser isn't bingo it's> > > > sausage making.
> > > >> > > > 21. You find -40C a little chilly.> > > >
> > > > 22.The trunk of your car doubles as a deepfreeze.> > > >
> > > > 23. You attend a formal event in your best
> > > > clothes, your finest jewellery> > > > and your Sorels.> > > >
> > > > 24. You can play road hockey on skates.> > > >
> > > > 25. You know 4 seasons: Winter, Still Winter,> > > > almost Winter and
> > > > Construction.> > > >
> > > > 26. The municipality buys a Zamboni before a bus.> > > >
> > > > 27. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.> > > >
> > > > 28. You perk up when you hear the theme from
> > > > "Hockey Night in Canada".> > > >
> > > > 29. You actually get these jokes and forward them
> > > > to all your Canadian> > > > friends.

diane
Oct. 24, 2000, 01:43 PM
Good things: getting to go shopping to buy fall sheets, winter blankets, heavy winters for really cold nights, thinner blankets to layer under, thin, mid weight and heavy turnouts

bad things: having to pay for all of the above, and getting the above repaired when for once you believe the weatherman and dress the kids for - 25c with high winds and have it turn out to be a beautiful balmy day and the horses decide to undress themselves!

our farm follows weather patterns similiar to Bolton (sunshine at the barn but can be pouring rain at the bottom of the driveway)

I don't understand Chrieten but I don't really care .... I must be Canadian

I do understand that at a show in July (@ Bolton) you take tank tops, shorts, sweat shirts, down jackets, toques, mittens etc. .... I must be Canadian!

Spunky
Oct. 24, 2000, 01:44 PM
Can I join the Canadian clique too? Mr. Spunky is a Canadian (posing as an American)!

Meshach
Oct. 24, 2000, 02:02 PM
> > > > 1. You only know three spices: salt, pepper and> > > > ketchup.> > > >

weird, my cousins used to tease me about the ketchup thing, they'd say "you crazy americans put it on everything even eggs, gross". so, it's not all of canada that has an adversion to ketchup, just my weird family? I personally love vinegar!

Diane - hey my cousin Scott lives in Barrie (just like that commercial "no I don't know your cousin joe who lives in Toronto, although I'm sure he's a nice guy"). His wife Nadine just opened a vintage clothing store.

Canter
Oct. 24, 2000, 03:19 PM
Welcome to all past, new and present members of the Canadian clique.

Thank you Jaded for that timely reminder of what it's really like to be a Canadian.

Wave, I understand you'll be joining us at the F&H on Friday...bring those popsicle pink thermals. It could snow.

Is Diane making an appearance? I heard she was bringing heidi's goats...

Mesach, don't know about those plastic bags of milk...we've "graduated" to plastic jugs. What I can tell you is the plastic bags allow the milk to be kept...where else? In the freezer! (Or outside behind the trailer if you're sportin' a hockey haircut)

Palisades - I was going to buy you a Shirley Temple...looks wonderful with an orange toque.
Watch out for LCR Scott. That one is a baaad influence. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

diane
Oct. 24, 2000, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Canter:
Welcome to all past, new and present members of the Canadian clique.

Wave, I understand you'll be joining us at the F&H on Friday...bring those popsicle pink thermals. It could snow.

Is Diane making an appearance? I heard she was bringing heidi's goats... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking I will pop over after work .... do we just stand around and yell Poo? or should I be drinking a 'Canadian', eh!

Quinn
Oct. 24, 2000, 03:34 PM
I was so excited when I "won" an auction on e-bay for a "submersable water heater" for only $30.00 U.S. plus shipping plus cost of the money order. I haven't received it as of yet but after pondering, that amounts to $60.00 Canadian which would be 2000 - $0.03 coins. Why didn't I just do the usual???? And that is, when buying buckets, to make certain they are "hammer" proof and "throwing down in the aisle" proof. To melt the ice of course.

Am I still the President of this Chapter? Please, please, please. I even checked to make certain the orange toque is relatively clean and ready to go.

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 24, 2000, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quinn:

Am I still the President of this Chapter? Please, please, please. I even checked to make certain the orange toque is relatively clean and ready to go. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your presidency is contingent on showing up at the Royal (Fox and Hound 7:30pm) on Friday, Nov. 3, clad in your orange toque for the innauguration.

Quinn
Oct. 24, 2000, 03:55 PM
Hey Heidi:

I'm starting to giggle rather hysterically here (and trust me, they already think I'm a wee bit nuts at the office.....you know, things like "gotta head out a little early today guys. I'm on a semen run.")

I can just picture showing up at precisely 7:30 and walking in with my orange toque on and having blank stares greet me. How the hay do you carry that one off? Actually, last year, one of my treasured boarders (and I do mean that) bought everybody orange toques for Christmas but I think everybody felt it would be sacreligious to wear them in my presence.

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 24, 2000, 04:12 PM
So now the truth emerges, I do think we have a traitor in our midst - you gotta problem with orange touques, eh? Another example of the political lies so recklessly spun by those seeking office. My fellow Canadians what's worse - 'no more GST' or 'I'm kinda embarassed by the orange touque even if it is a national icon, right up there with the beaver, the mountie and poutine.' I call for new elections so that we may seek someone with the integrity, courage and sufficient blood alcohol level to wear an orange touque proudly, with tears in eyes, at the Fox and Hound.

Quinn
Oct. 24, 2000, 04:18 PM
Needless to say, I'm shattered!

PD
Oct. 24, 2000, 04:47 PM
G'day, eh?

Can I join please, huh? Huh? Can I? I'm so Canadian it hurts!!!! I'm even proud of the Avro Arrow and know all the words to Snowbird!

I finally got over here from EMG and I find all my friends in a Canadian Clique!! Can I recite all the "Yankee rants" from This Hour Has 22 Minutes?

PD /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mazzy
Oct. 24, 2000, 04:50 PM
A most excellent conversation w/ quality Canadians.....I do so want to be back in the club. I'm really a Torontonian, relocated for the money but my heart is true BLUE and I wear a pom-pom touque w/ pride to block the windy Manhattan streets (no underground mall here for us suckers!!). I humbly request membership privileges and promise to loyally utter "eh" in the appropriate manner.

Canter
Oct. 24, 2000, 04:54 PM
Aw Quinn, don't let us down. What's a little orange toque between friends?

heidi is bringing her goats and a drunken Hans.

I'm wearing my tiara and ball gown thanks to an article in Toronto Life Fashion magazine.

Diane is driving the snowplow and possibly the snowplow driver down from Barrie and LCR Scott is...hey wait a minute. Where is LCR Scott these days???

She'll wear the orange toque with the pom-poms if you're too chicken Quinn.

We'll buy you a drink...here kitty, kitty...

Canter
Oct. 24, 2000, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZ:
A most excellent conversation w/ quality Canadians.....I do so want to be back in the club. I'm really a Torontonian, relocated for the money but my heart is true BLUE and I wear a pom-pom touque w/ pride to block the windy Manhattan streets (no underground mall here for us suckers!!). I humbly request membership privileges and promise to loyally utter "eh" in the appropriate manner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maz - you are like, so invited. Can we come over and hang in your basement? Wayne's World. Party Time. EXCELLENT!

Canter
Oct. 24, 2000, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PD:
G'day, eh?

Can I join please, huh? Huh? Can I? I'm so Canadian it hurts!!!! I'm even proud of the Avro Arrow and know all the words to Snowbird!

I finally got over here from EMG and I find all my friends in a Canadian Clique!! Can I recite all the "Yankee rants" from This Hour Has 22 Minutes?

PD /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gosh PD almost missed you! For your initiation into the clique you will have to get up on stage at the Fox and Hound and sing Snowbird.

I'll happily accompany you on backing vocals.

But only if Quinn wears that orange toque.

Quinn
Oct. 24, 2000, 05:05 PM
My hurt has passed. Certainly nothing a good stiff V&T couldn't cure. And just to show you how "truly Canadian" I am, when Buzz Lightears pulled the pom pom from my trusty toque, I refused to attach a multi coloured one. That would have been a travesty beyond words.

And just FYI, in my first wedding, my first dance was a barn burner Ann Murray fav......"Can I have this dance?" Now, live with that one and still hold your head up will you!!! I will be there on the 3rd. As I finish keying this in, I am heading home to HAND WASH my hat. I believe it is in need of a bit of blocking as well. Not as snug as it was in earlier years. But rest assured, it will rise again!!!

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 24, 2000, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PD:
G'day, eh?

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, believe the Canadian Medical Association has recently identified a uniquely Cdn disease called Snowbirditis.

We accept your membership as long as you don't break out into song at the Fox and Hound. Ohhh Canter!!! Just read your post above - I hate it when we disagree.

[This message has been edited by heidi (edited 10-24-2000).]

Mazzy
Oct. 24, 2000, 05:09 PM
Canter....my basement is your basement...game on, dude! Thanks for the positive affirmation, my name is MAZ and I am CANADIAN.

PD
Oct. 24, 2000, 05:16 PM
You guys will have to decide whether I sing or not. Perhaps if I sing something other than Snowbird...I could write a horsey version of "If I Had a Million Dollars" or something!

Canter
Oct. 24, 2000, 05:24 PM
You guys will have to decide whether I sing or not. Perhaps if I sing something other than Snowbird...I could write a horsey version of "If I Had a Million Dollars" or something!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you buy a green dress (and wearing a green dress, that's cruel!)

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 10-24-2000).]

Colin
Oct. 24, 2000, 05:26 PM
I think I see some Canadian Clique action going on here......are you guys willing to try to live up to the FINE REPUTATION of the VA Clique????

Are you up to it???? We're pretty "good", if you know what I mean??? LOLOL!

Canter
Oct. 24, 2000, 05:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZ:
Canter....my basement is your basement...game on, dude! Thanks for the positive affirmation, my name is MAZ and I am CANADIAN.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

P'shaw. It seems a bit over the top to invite you to our most excellent gathering on the 3rd but we'll accept a little long distance air guitar at 7:30 from your basement to the Fox and Hound...I'm sure we'll hear you.

Pity there aren't any Stan Mikita's doughnut franchises in the Big Apple. A bagel just isn't the same.

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 24, 2000, 10:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:
I think I see some Canadian Clique action going on here......are you guys willing to try to live up to the FINE REPUTATION of the VA Clique????

Are you up to it???? We're pretty "good", if you know what I mean??? LOLOL!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colin, is that a challenge???? If it involves beer Colin, you do know that Canadian beer is vastly superior to the inky liquid that Americans like to imbibe before a horse show class.

Colin
Oct. 24, 2000, 10:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidi:

Colin, is that a challenge???? If it involves beer Colin, you do know that Canadian beer is vastly superior to the inky liquid that Americans like to imbibe before a horse show class. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true, heidi! sooooo True! And the State of Utah is the WORSE! You can only buy 3.2% beer at the stores (unless you make a special trip to a liquor store)...GRRRRR!!!!!

I am quite jealous of the Canadian Clique already! Bud Light is LAME!

Yes....it's a challenge...but you do know that you have a LOT to live up to, don't you???

- multiple user names by members of your clique

- Pissing Erin off on a daily basis

- Driving the DQ's totally insane

This is a lot.....but I think you guys can handle it...????

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 24, 2000, 11:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

Yes....it's a challenge...but you do know that you have a LOT to live up to, don't you???

- multiple user names by members of your clique

- Pissing Erin off on a daily basis

- Driving the DQ's totally insane

This is a lot.....but I think you guys can handle it...????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colin, surely the challenge bar isn't that low. The Canadian Clique can:

-not only assume various BB aliases but we'll recruit our extended families and household help to follow suit;

-we'll be so esoterically Canadian in our controversial references that Erin won't even notice; and if she does, we'll be so wonderfully politely Canadian with our apologies that she'll want to embrace each of us in a heartfelt bear hug;

-I believe we've already offended the DQ's - we've been discussing beer, not chardonnay.

Surely Colin as the ring-leader of the Virginia clique, you can do better, eh?

SaddlePad
Oct. 25, 2000, 12:13 AM
OMG, I never thought my question would go this far!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I can't believe that they don't have Aero bars, Smarties, and Coffee Crisps (my fave chocolate bar in the entire world!) in the States, I never knew that. And I thought that milk always came in plastic bags! I am so ignorant!! And how they all live w/o Timmy Ho's is beyond me! Palisades (Mikhaila), I'm Alana (*A* on emg), and I'll be riding Double Platinum in the children's. (I'm soooooo scared to warm up in the tiny ring with the posts, my horsey is gonna buck me off!)

OnyxThePony
Oct. 25, 2000, 12:22 AM
Oh my Colin, already done and done. Not only do we have multiple personalities, everyone around us does as well. Jack, Bob,and Guy are all synonyms for your name, no matter what your name is, if you're a guy. My dear, we know things VAs wouldn't even consider knowing. Oddly enough, VAs know things other Americans wouldn't even consider knowing.. If the use of Canadian Catchisms hasn't confused you entirely yet dear, just wait, We're being generous. Speaking of generous, and as for joining- don't you guys know Canada Lets ANYONE In????

SaddlePad
Oct. 25, 2000, 12:22 AM
OMG, I never thought my question would go this far! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But seriously, you guys are hilarious, and Colin, we will have the VA clique begging for mercy in no time!! I can't believe that the USA doesn't have Aero's, Smarties, and Coffee Crisps (my fave chocolate bars in the world!). And how you all survive w/o Timmy Ho's is beyond me! I thought that milk came in plastic bags everywhere (but that must seem weird to everyone else, I just never thought of having it in anything other than plastic bags!). I went to NY for my b-day, and I bought a KitKat there and had to throw it out it was so gross, why is chocolate there so bad? And Palisades (Mikhaila?), I'm Alana (*A* on EMG) and I'll be riding Double Platinum in children's. TTYL.

JOH
Oct. 25, 2000, 01:17 PM
Jaded - I'm still ROTFLMAO about that list. I have to add something to this one: "You know 4 seasons: Winter, Still Winter,> > > > almost Winter and Construction". You forgot MUD SEASON which here happens in the spring or actually IS spring.

Quinn - Canucks can't win on US ebay - but they do have a Canadian section with prices in Cdn dollars. Of course there are all of about 5 items, but I've gotten stuff that didn't cost twice as much when converted. P.S. I got a trough heater for $35 Cdn at the local hardware. *G*

Quinn
Oct. 25, 2000, 05:04 PM
JOH, I have the trough heaters and they work great. This is a little submersible thingy that you can literally melt each and every inside bucket with. You know, from late October until early June. Still, you are quite right when you say Canadians cannot "win" on e-bay when we're paying at a rate of $1.51!!!

JOH
Oct. 26, 2000, 12:24 PM
Quinn! I want one of those heater thingies! I am not looking forward to breaking ice out of 5 buckets this winter. Can you describe it more? Where did you get it?

OnyxThePony
Oct. 26, 2000, 01:31 PM
JOH- cna you put your horseis in an open barn where they can all get at one water 'trough'? (rotflmao seeing those horses actually getting along) Well anyway, they sell these little eletric UFO waterheater things that float in the water tank, good for huge tanks, but would melt a bucket. I use one in my dog's outdoor water tank. At UFA or the farm store you have out there for less than $50.

Palisades
Oct. 26, 2000, 01:55 PM
JOH-speaking of mud season, how many people had horses come down with mud fever this year? It seems like everyone in our barn had at one point or another (and about 4 got it up in Collingwood-grr!)

Saddlepad...now I recognize you! I'm so jealous, you're horse is beautiful! Good luck at the Royal, I usually watch the children's from the box right beside the in-gate, so I'll say hi (if you didn't die in warmup first, it is pretty scary in there).

Canter/Stable (I'm too used to your EMG name), thanks for the offer, but I can't stay late enough to join the karaoke and toque contest. Is anyone going to be there earlier that day (like before 4 or 5?)

I heard a funny Canadian story on the radio last night that I thought you guys would like. I'm paraphrasing though, cause my memory isn't the best (some people burn brain cells- us Canucks freeze them!)

When it get's to be 10 below zero, Californians crank up the heater. Canadians exchange tank tops for t-shirts.

When it get's to be forty below, Californians move to Mexico. Canadians start thinking about wearing shoes instead of sandals.

When it gets to be 100 below, Hollywood implodes. Canadians pull down the earflaps on their hats.

When it gets to be 175 below, methyl alcohol freezes. Canadians go into mourning, because their kegs have frozen.

When it gets to 275 below, all motion stops. Canadians turn on their heaters.

When it gets to be 500 below, hell freezes over and the Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

Cheers, everyone!

Quinn
Oct. 26, 2000, 01:55 PM
Hi JOH: I got it through one of my favourite suppliers on e-bay. They are in Maryland and a most accomodating vendor. I have done quite a fair bit of business with them. The "submersible bucket heater" is, in my estimation, exactly what I need in the dead of winter when the horses have been out all day and the barn is cold enough to freeze bucket water. We have 14 indoor horses and the chores are done by 11:00 a.m. By the time I get home, the buckets are frozen and I don't have the time or the desire to pound out 14 buckets. These things are electric and look like a long heating coil. I paid $26.00 U.S. and with delivery and exchange, that's approximately $48-50.00 ~ can't beat that. My idea is just to attach it to an extension cord and walk up and down the centre aisle in the barn and warm water as I go.

dublin
Oct. 26, 2000, 02:33 PM
Hey, Canter -

If bumpkin and I make it up to Spruce Meadows next July, can we be honorary members of the Canadian Clique??? Pretty please???

Loved the Canadians vs. Californians post. For more of the same, check out this website, Jokes for Canadians: (warning: some of this isn't exactly PC.....) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~sejubinv/canada.htm

[This message has been edited by dublin (edited 10-26-2000).]

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 26, 2000, 02:44 PM
You can be our foreign correspondents.

dublin
Oct. 26, 2000, 02:49 PM
Gladly!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Canter
Oct. 26, 2000, 06:00 PM
dublin. Believe me. The Alberta cowboys are gonna loooove you and Bumpkin.

You might never want to leave Canada!

dublin
Oct. 26, 2000, 09:04 PM
Canter,
don't know how crazy our husbands would be about that....but, it's always nice to look at new scenery, so to speak!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Most importantly, do those Alberta boys wear Wranglers???

OnyxThePony
Oct. 27, 2000, 02:38 AM
Dublin, let me tell you about it here in Calgary. My farrier is young, cute, rides jumpers, has a great butt, is straight and is single. Only in Calgary!!!!!

Lil
Oct. 27, 2000, 08:34 AM
ME! Don't forget ME!
As a Floridian living in Canada, I can pass undetected amongst you........