PDA

View Full Version : Only riders...

wadino
Mar. 9, 2001, 12:07 PM
Only riders will do...

OK how about we make tons of things that only riders will do.

wadino
Mar. 9, 2001, 12:07 PM
Only riders will do...

OK how about we make tons of things that only riders will do.

VTrider
Mar. 9, 2001, 12:12 PM
Going out to dinner after a day of showing in your boots and breeches and wonder why all these freaks keep staring at you!!!

WR
Mar. 9, 2001, 12:12 PM
Shows up at the convenience store at 3 30 in the morn and be there to get juice or breakfast before a show......NOT b/c he have been out all night and are just getting in lol.

Tin
Mar. 9, 2001, 12:14 PM
-drive around with crops and whips in their cars (hopefully only riders do this)

-go to a public places wearing chaps, paddock boots and/or spurs

-find horse goobers on your clothes after a day of school/work from a quick visit in the morning

I'm quilty of all these /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nylar
Mar. 9, 2001, 12:21 PM
Hey now! I wear my chaps to class too! We all do, no one even looks twice at our school. Gotta love "equestrian" colleges. The breeches and flip-flops look is popular as well.

Uhh, I used to do my hair before I left the house, and wear my helmet in the car to the barn. That earned some weird looks for sure!

*Nylar*
http://www.geocities.com/dunnbypicasso/

ErinB
Mar. 9, 2001, 12:25 PM
Yeah I wear my hard hat around with my hair still up perfectly after a show, lol. When a baseball cap isn't around, well, hey it beats hat hair!

Horse On Course (http://www.virtue.nu/hoc/hoc.htm)
The Horse Show World Online!

Indy
Mar. 9, 2001, 12:31 PM
In the winter when it's cold, I have absolutely no problem going to get lunch in my chaps...it's too darn cold to take the things off!

I'm also too lazy to take my spurs off my paddock boots if I'm riding something that always needs spurs....you get odd looks in the grocery store when you have pointy things sticking off the back of your boots!

MsHunter
Mar. 9, 2001, 01:29 PM
And, go into your glove compartment to get registration and insurance information and have police officer see the needles, syringes, and pills and about have a coronary and take you into lock up in the station. At which point, hubby can't be reached, farrier has to be called and come bail you out, and veterinarian contacted to explain the medications were just given for a sick horse.

Motto of story: Don't speed when transporting medications from veterinarian to farm, and keep them in other than the glove compartment.

Becca
Mar. 9, 2001, 02:34 PM
VT- If I could tell you how many times I've gone out to dinner (4 star, even!lol) in my beloved TS's, show shirts, and horse show hair...Even those classy "maitre de"s (ok, so how do we REALLY spell that?) couldn't help but look twice. I knew it was because they flattered my butt, but.....

redhorse05
Mar. 9, 2001, 02:45 PM
I've had that same thing happen with drugs in the glove box! Only I got pulled over for a headlight out /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif and officer bob was pretty understanding of my mini pharmacy! Lucky for me. Sorry to hear you had to 'do time'! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~Odin

OnyxThePony
Mar. 9, 2001, 02:58 PM
I just wear my breeks around alot - or used to, but that was waaayyyyyy too wierd for stupid pov-ville N.E. Calgary.
Now I just go around smelling like a horse!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

CAH
Mar. 9, 2001, 03:04 PM
Good one Jane. On my car cleaning binges (which occurs about 4 times a year), I come across a variety of needles and syringes that I have put away "just in case" (after all, you just NEVER know when you have to give that shot) and wonder how I would explain myself out of the situation.

Never mind any thing that would go into those needles are at the barn. Wonder if they would belive me????

Portia
Mar. 9, 2001, 03:05 PM
-- Stand around in the freezing cold and rain at a show for a few hours watching ponies go round and round over the same course of 2' jumps.

-- Not go on vacation for several years running because all the spare money and time goes to the horses, and besides all the vacation days are used up with a day here, a couple of days there at shows.

-- Discover that Mr./Ms. Clean has decided to use his/her feed bucket as a toilet, then scoop it out and scrub the bucket with your bare hands. Horse poop is clean poop, you know.

-- Pee in the stall/trailer when no one (except your horse) is looking because the porta-potties are way too far away (oh come on -- you've done it. admit it.)

-- Actually wear those hair nets.

KellyS
Mar. 9, 2001, 03:05 PM
Only horse people.....can no longer smell the "horse" smell in vehicles, clothes, house, etc! Any non-horsey friends that ride in my truck always comment on how it smells like "horse" - must be the tack, grooming supplies, occasional bale of shavings, etc! However, my horsey friends jump in and never smell at thing. I certainly don't notice it! Also, I love cleaning out my coat pockets and finding the assortment of hoofpicks, sweet lumps, and hay string that usually find a home in them. Then of course, I always end up at the grocery store after riding - boot and breeches always draw a stare - especially from little kids who have no problems with pointing and telling their moms to "look, look"!

doubletake
Mar. 9, 2001, 03:12 PM
PORTIA! You've peed in the trailers and stalls before! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif *doubletake gasps and falls off her chair as she faints on to the floor in shock* /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

[This message was edited by doubletake on Mar. 09, 2001 at 06:41 PM.]

baymare
Mar. 9, 2001, 03:19 PM
Sneak home on my lunch hour and decide the horses look bored/hungry so throw them all a flake of hay, then return to work at the library reference desk with wisps of hay all over everywhere.

Possess the only pair of winter boots at the office which are covered with stuff notably OTHER THAN snow.

Do jump-off turns with the shopping cart when power-shopping on the way home from the barn (still wearing breeches, of course.)

Rinsed off my espresso pot in the wash stall at a horseshow so I could brew up a cup while we had a cookout. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Beezer
Mar. 9, 2001, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pee in the stall/trailer when no one (except your horse) is looking because the porta-potties are way too far away (oh come on -- you've done it. admit it.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've been SPYING on Merry!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

stop4
Mar. 9, 2001, 04:14 PM
When me and my freinds doa clinic at my barn we always go out to eat between the morning and afternoon session. We always wear our helmets in the restaraunt just to get people to look at us!

I always wear my hat every where I go during a show (even out to lunch, a store....) I have heard a bunch of people muttering that we must be epileptic. Me and one of my freinds are going to out to lunch one day and just drop and start sezuiring!!!

Jo
Mar. 9, 2001, 04:15 PM
I had a good one and it went bye-bye. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Jo
Mar. 9, 2001, 04:16 PM
Oh I remember.

My mare, as I'm sure we all know by now, is obsessed with Life Savers. I buy bags of them, say, four at a time, the little individually wrapped kinds, and dump them into a ZipLock in my tack trunk...

Now, I don't know anyone except me who has to routinely pick LifeSaver wrappers out of her dryer lint trap...

ALittleBitOfLuck
Mar. 9, 2001, 04:17 PM
<<Walk around my house and eat dinner in my chaps and boots to break them in.>>

THIS WAS ME last night... except that my chaps were soaking WET. I had just washed them in the machine and in an attempt to stretch them and mold them a little bit more I wore them while I was doing homework. YUCK. They were so heavy and cold and eew. I hope it pays off. They better fit awesome the next time I ride in them.

Merry
Mar. 9, 2001, 05:01 PM
"My name is Merry, and yes, I have pee'd in the horse trailer at shows. MORE THAN ONCE." /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

And of course, no one suspects anything, right Portia? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Another thing I do as a rider: realize that I've left a trail of muck and shavings in my path as I stroll through the grocery store in my paddock boots. Like, it doesn't take Sherlock to realize that the nubbies of manure came from the grooves in the tread of my boots!

sprite
Mar. 9, 2001, 05:16 PM
"Cluck" at their dogs/ car/ other people when they want them to move faster.

Count strides between cracks in the pavement when driving /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and then, speed up or slow down to get that perfect distance, LOL

hunterprincez
Mar. 9, 2001, 05:28 PM
At school when we are restaining the cats or dogs and they won't be still I will say whoa or ho without even thinking. My friends just look at me like there is that stange horse person saying stuff to the dogs again.

CTT
Mar. 9, 2001, 05:32 PM
Well my fave is sleeping in your boots,breeches, show shirt and spurs still on under the sheets.

Walking into a store with your hairnet still on under a cap.

Oh and the best driveing your car and haveing forgotten your helmet is still on.

Paige
Mar. 9, 2001, 05:48 PM
...setting off the alarm at the video rental place because you forgot that you hadn't taken your spurs off

...going to dinner in boots & breeches

...grabbing breakfast at a convience store while looking even odder than if you were wearing boots and breeches-wearing jeans & tredsteps instead

OnceAThief
Mar. 9, 2001, 06:03 PM
Seriously wonder why people are slowing down and staring as you try to get your tupperware car started again...

I was driving home LATE one night from a lesson, so I was wearing the whole nine yards - boots, spurs, fancy-schmantz shirt, breeches, and even not one but two whips in the back seat. Of course, this was the night that my "it may be plastic but at least it's reliable!" car decides to break down. On a 4-lane road. In front of a mental hospital. In a bad part of town. At 11:30 at night. So, as I'm trying to decide if the nice man walking up to me is going to push my car out of the way or kill me, I realize I'm still dressed like a domanatrix. Oh well.. I gave all four lanes of traffic a little show that night, I guess. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

ponyperson
Mar. 9, 2001, 06:29 PM
Only tired riders after a show dressed in filth can go to a steakhouse and say, "kill the cow, rip of its horns, wipe its ass, and send it on out here"

Only riders teach their poor 2 month old cocker spaniels how to jump that *teeny* 4 foot wall in the backyard (I know, I'm going to pet hell for this)

Pee in the stall at a horse show, and thinking nothing of it

Sharing a lemonade with horse before a classic
(liquor for adults)

Get dressed in 1 square foot of space in your ?neat? trailer dressing room

Head to the show so early that when you stop at the drive through at a McDonalds and find out that after yelling for 30 minutes that it has not opened yet, that you might want to go get ready for your first class

Pony Person

Showhorse
Mar. 9, 2001, 06:45 PM
Once I walked into a resturant during State Fair with the works on (including beige breeches) and they thought I wasn't wearing any pants!

only hp . . .

share apples with their horses

drink out of the slobbery water bucket (hey it was 100 degrees and i was THIRSTY) /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

are willing to walk around last period at school (NOT a horse college - a highschool) with boots and breeches on because you have a lesson 15 min after school

have pictures of your horses in your locker instead of the latest movie star hearthrob

the cashier at 7-Eleven knows you and your horse by name and asks how you placed (all those pre/post horse show snack fests) /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

brilyntrip
Mar. 9, 2001, 06:54 PM
Pee in horse trailer because ... porta potties smell !

JC
Mar. 9, 2001, 07:09 PM
Dump numerous BF's over horses. answer the door wearing cut offs and tall boots and haveing the pizza guy say "Kinky" and raise his eyebrows. haveing a crop under your bed and have your parents not even think twice. Explaining to the hottest guys in school how you can't go out iwth him on saterday night because you have a show.

JC & Quin

Raincloud
Mar. 9, 2001, 07:10 PM
Going into gas stations and getting commets like: are you fishers..do you bowl...ect.
It's funny what people can come up with /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
~EM

Checkers324
Mar. 9, 2001, 07:11 PM
...Would go shopping at the supermarket wearing half-chaps, breeches, and a sweater blotched with horse snot and barn dirt (hey, it was after a lesson! And the half-chaps kept my lower legs warm).

...Would walk around carrying a dressage whip (at least she was at a dressage show!).

...Would think that horses, hay, and tack smell much better than fancy perfume. (I do! I really do!)

...Would wish that there was a German TV channel! (I wish there was! Imagine that! It would have all-day-long coverage of absolutely EVERYTHING going on in Aachen!)

...Could scoop up manure, pick a horse's nose, clean his sheath, lug heavy tack around on one arm, peel off nails broken on billets and stirrup leathers, then mount up onto a 16.3hh+ hot, spooky Thoroughbred only to get flung off when he refuses a 4' oxer, and then jump back on without even a blink of an eye. (OK, I've never gone quite THAT far...) Now, I'd like to see some of those runway models do THAT! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Checkers324
Ride the wind, and be at one with your horse!

Kellybird
Mar. 9, 2001, 07:50 PM
Portia! I am shocked, I am not quite that bad...well, bad depending on your point of view... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I suppose it depends on how much you despise porta-potties!

Linny
Mar. 9, 2001, 07:51 PM
I do both those things!
In addition to restaurants, markets, gas stations, etc that have witnessed the horror of me in breeches and boots, I always wear my spurs out for beers after Thursday night lessons.

I "see distances" to the border between the hall and the living room.

I track barn dirt throught the house, but my husband is required to take his shoes off at the door.

I "canter" down the stairs (when I have the energy)

I tell my 14 month old son to "ho" when he gets into some place I dont want him to go.

I share a cup with a horse but go berserk if my husband uses by toothbrush.

ErinB
Mar. 9, 2001, 07:55 PM
-I see distances telephone poles and street signs as we're driving. I count my strides.

-I never run, I canter.

-I jump my dog.

-When my neighbor's cows in the adjacent pasture start running for the hay, I try to guess who would place best in a hack class.

-I choose my clothes based on what would coordinate best with my chaps...

-When I walk into the grocery store, I head straight for the sugar cubes. Or the carrots.

Horse On Course (http://www.virtue.nu/hoc/hoc.htm)
The Horse Show World Online!

Fated
Mar. 9, 2001, 08:13 PM
Now portia and Merry, don't you know, peeing in the stall hust makes more work for yourself! may as well pee right into the manure pit! =)hehe...no I have yet to try this, but I'm sure I could start a new trend, open some eyes, and stop a few shows all at once =)...or I could get kicked off of the show grounds for illegal exposure *grin* =)
I'll admit to clucking to my freinds , or in the lunchline too.
OH! And I own a cocker, he too jumps walls, they look more like lawn chairs tho..oh my, could they possibly be-upsidedown lawnchairs!? GTG! I must go turn my 'jumps' over to make seats! =)

*(:Whitney:)*
PonyNet.Net

K Spade
Mar. 9, 2001, 08:23 PM
HAHA I go out to dinner all the time in riding clothes! It's not so bad here in Keswick because well... a lot of people ride, and even in Charlottesville it isn't terrible unless you're at a restaurant where commoners go. But it's funny when I get weird looks!

Once, my friend and I went into this little deli on the way back to the hotel, and we walked in, and there were a bunch of rednecks in there because apparently rednecks liked eating there, and they were like "Do ya'll ride horses?" and I was like "Um, no, I just enjoy this particular style...". Lol!

OnyxThePony
Mar. 9, 2001, 10:06 PM
It spans generations and borders. I cannot believe people actually *do* pee in the trailor. That exists? phheeewww! I am not insane, if someone else thought of it before me. Trust me, it was once and I was ***desperate***. I cannot believe admitting it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif But the barn- heck, that is just marking your territory! I've been known to kick the groom right out of the barn by cheerily yelling across the yard that I have private business in the barn!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Katey
Mar. 9, 2001, 10:41 PM
C'mon Beezer you can come out of your closet now! Personally I've never had to go so bad that I had to go in the "Portia-Potty" I mean trailer.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one to have "pumped" in a trailer. When you're a nursing mom at a show without baby, you make due with what you have!

wtywmn4
Mar. 10, 2001, 05:28 AM
Ladies Ahem, didn't you learn anything from all those long years away at Miss Manners boarding school? Peeing in the trailer, HA do it in the van, then pop open your fold away cot and sleep there too!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

cbv
Mar. 10, 2001, 07:16 AM
Only a horse persong would be relieved and thankful their husband had finally caught on to buying thoughtful gifts when for my 30th birthday he got me a shiny new red manure bucket and matching red halters and leads....he knows red is my favorite color!

WHOA!
Mar. 10, 2001, 07:32 AM
cbv-- LOL, my mom got stirrups for mother's day and was thrilled.

Never thought twice about going to dinner in riding clothes until I moved to an extremely non-horsey area of Indiana. My mother was STARVING after a lesson and didn't want to go home to let me change before going out. Her response to my whining was, "you're wearing a thousand dollars worth of clothing on your body right now. You'll be the best-dressed person there."

Only horse people are horrified that 7-11 doesn't offer hot dogs at 5:00am

Lord Helpus
Mar. 10, 2001, 01:45 PM
My trainer got pulled over running a red light last year. When the cop came to the car window, she started babbling about having to rush to get to the airport to pick up fresh semen because her mare was ovulating and the vet was on his way over .....

She got off without a ticket ---- just an FYI for an excuse that worked /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mar. 10, 2001, 02:42 PM
after a long horse-day, and she cuts me off, and something with my feet caught, and I ran into the wall. Suddenly realize that I still had my spurs on!!!!!!

Many Fine-Dining establishments have been graced with my show attire, and I felt that my aroma added to the ambiance of the place.

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 10, 2001, 02:57 PM
You can hose the trailer out but must use a shovel and fork in the stall!

Personal "necessary" is one of the top reasons for the purchase of your own trailer when arguing the merits of ownership vs sharing a ride!

Now, for those of us who have an RV, someone with a trailer always is willing to share a trip with a tow vehicle that has it's own potty!

I am the ultimate "oblivious to stares" horse owner. My Volvo wagon carries three bales of hay on the roof rack, 4 baled shavings in the back seat and 6 fifty lb bags of grain (Equine Senior, Equine Junior and Omolene 300 for broodmares) at a time on a regular "lunch break" errand run. My boss doesn't even flinch anymore but has been know to request that I park the pick up with two round bales behind our office building!

To be so sanguine takes years of practice to perfect. One must start as a 13 year old with "horse butt" from riding bareback at a fast pace in shedding season. I have found that persons so attired are given preferential seating in restaurants and the service is swift and efficient. On many occasions, I have been still chewing my last morsel when presented with the bill as an efficient waitperson holds the door!

Linny
Mar. 10, 2001, 03:26 PM
At the small private barn I used to ride at we had no bathroom. We used the term "borrowing a stall." The good news is that at least I now belong to a clique!

Whip 'N Spurs
Mar. 10, 2001, 03:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "Cluck" at their dogs/ car/ other people when they want them to move faster.
Count strides between cracks in the pavement when driving and then, speed up or slow down to get that perfect distance, LOL
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Omg, I do both of these things! One day at school I was walking to my next class behind this guy (who was older AND cute) and he was going really slow, and I started to cluck without realizing what I was doing and he turned around and gave me this,"What the heck?" look. It was really emberassing..

As for counting strides, I do that all the time. I get distances and such between light posts, stop signs, etc.. I feel like a retard. I like ride in my car seat or move back and forth with the "motion of the canter" too without realizing it. I've even gotten a thumbs up from passing male drivers, ROFL.

I am also relieve to find there are more people that pee in trailers, /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Laura & Uno
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1361403&Auth=false

Tin
Mar. 10, 2001, 03:32 PM
LOL! these are hilarious!

O.k, I must admit that I've peed in a trailer/stall or two (or three or four....) but if they'd put the porta-potties closer to the trailers or clean them out once ina while I wouldn't have too /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My friend was caught at the airport metal detectors and pulled into a back office for carrying a hoof pick, potential weapons dontcha know!

oh and trying to change in a stall or trailer and ending up with shavings, straw or hay sticking out of every crevise!

Or when it's too icy/snowy to go to work/school so you head out to the barn (twice as far with all dirt roads).

Try cleaning the backseat of you car of horse stuff so your friends can sit down and find that the trunk is even more packed with dirty blankets, dirty polos and even year old haynet (still filled with hay).

Wear your show shirt (sans collar of course) to school/work because it's so comfy

Oh and here's one! I was very late for a class and had to change so I popped into the back of the trailer whipped off my clothes to turn around and notice the top doors wide open and 5 riders on tall horses riding by! oops! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 10, 2001, 03:35 PM
If they were serious about schooling their horses then they would never even know you were in there! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Not serious, then they have NO business invading your space! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BostonBanker
Mar. 10, 2001, 03:40 PM
I got pulled over on the way to an Interscholastic show two weeks ago. There were dressage whips all over the car (everytime we passed a trailer, or someone with AHSA stickers on their car, we'd "wave"). Just before the cop got to my window, I started muttering "Get the whips in the backseat...get the whips in the backseat." He still saw them and asked where we were going (Geez Sherlock, we are going to a cooking convention, couldn't you tell?). Got the darn ticket too. I have thrown syringes under the seat while being pulled over, and once got some VERY concerned looks about the big bag of white powder on the front seat of my car (Selenium and E, of course. I had used the bucket to clean tack.)

Only a horse person will walk into Wal-Mart at 9:30 on a Friday night, and leave with three hairnets, two bottles of rubbing alcohol, boot polish, an economy size set of hand towels, a bag of Starlite mints, and duct tape.

Eating in restaurants in boots and britches? Borrowing your horse's stall? Just say yes.

Only a horse person will drive a half-hour out of their way to give their horse a hug on Christmas morning, but complain that someone needs to stop and use the bathroom on the interstate because you just want to get the drive over.

Only a horse person will cut their hand, and fix the problem with Betadine, Furasin, and VetRap.

Only a horse person will be refuse to eat the chip that fell on the floor, but think nothing of eating lunch after grooming, picking out feet, and riding.

Merry
Mar. 10, 2001, 04:07 PM
"The few, the proud, the barely housebroken."

It's amazing that the same group of women who fret about their coiffures being just perfect inside their hairnets think nothin' of peein' in their horse trailer!

Or pumping milk in the trailer (both Katey and my trainer).
Or changing their clothes in the trailer, in rather plain sight.

Hey, if anyone gets a thrill out of staring at my skinny white legs and sweaty stick-arms, they have a bigger problem than my lack of modesty! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tin
Mar. 10, 2001, 04:47 PM
LOL! Merry my thoughts exactly! Didn't stop me from changing anyways /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Checkers324
Mar. 10, 2001, 06:05 PM
When in the car, I visualize horses jumping any fences we pass by. I try to see the correct distance for takeoff, too.

I almost never run either, I always canter! I've been trying to convince myself to canter more on the left lead to strengthen my left leg.

Only a horse person would, while scrubbing the tires on their car with their right hand, suddenly think of Joe Fargis and switch the brush to their left hand because they're right-handed. (I did this today.)

I draw the line at peeing in stalls, though! When I needed the restroom when I was at the HITS show, I drove to the nearest Burger King...

Checkers324

Jo
Mar. 10, 2001, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys, these are absolutely hilarious. They are SO TRUE, I do that whole - can't eat a chip that fell on the floor but won't hesitate to eat my Sonic on the way home from the barn while still covered in horse ick. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Checkers324
Mar. 10, 2001, 06:31 PM
Only a horse person thinks of the perfect man as having good conformation, good breeding, strong feet, a muscular rear and good movement. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Of course, in my case I mean it literally -- I'd sooner marry Olympic Ferro or Baloubet du Rouet than a mere HUMAN! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Checkers324

Fated
Mar. 10, 2001, 06:34 PM
Decide they need to get healthier and jog 2 miles a day, but at horse shows complain about having to walk the 500 yards to the ring and rent a golf cart =)

Complain about how overpriced the tommy hilfigger is, and how you would never buy that $100 dollar pair of pants...yet spend oodles on a saddle only to sit in a tack room and get dirty, or buy a new pair of TS and not even think 2x about it =) *grin*

*(:Whitney:)*
PonyNet.Net

Mar. 10, 2001, 06:35 PM
and the station doesn't have a restroom (that's the whole reason you stopped), so you frantically fill the truck up, go in and pay for it, run out, and "check the horses". They look at you (while squatting) like, "OK, is the ride over yet, or are we going to get fed?"

When driving to FL, we always used to joke about "checking the horses", whether it be at a rest stop, or otherwise...

Showhorse
Mar. 10, 2001, 06:44 PM
I was cleaning out my drawers today (dresser drawers that is /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )and I realized that I have an enture drawer dedicated to horse clothes. You know, those shirts that have holes and mud/grease/slobber stains and those jeans that have rather risque holes under the back pockets . . .

And I too, have peed in trailers and stalls. My best friends does it all the time, lol. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Jo
Mar. 10, 2001, 06:48 PM
Showhorse, I gave up on dedicated a drawer to it. I have a laundry basket full of "horse clothes," including T-shirts, jeans, and boot socks. This doesn't include the sweatshirts or "barn jackets" that live in the backseat of my car... I own more barn clothes than I do school/work/whatever clothes.

Mar. 10, 2001, 07:08 PM
pulling out of the gas station with liquid streaming out of the back of the trailer!!!!LOL

Snowbird
Mar. 10, 2001, 07:23 PM
AH! you're all so young. In my days when we went to a resturant in britches and boots they thought we were ladies from the weird. The dominatricts who beat up on the guys for fun.

Show up with a bunch of kids in boots and britches and you can can guess what they thought?

smashing fishnets and feathers
Mar. 10, 2001, 08:51 PM
...spend hours making sure your show clothes are pressed and clean, boots shiny, but get up in the morning on a work/school day and throw on the first thing you see, however wrinkly and slightly dirty it may be...
...complain about cleaning your room, but dont think twice when its cleaning a stall or your tack...afterall THOSE things must be done.

csmpony
Mar. 11, 2001, 07:03 AM
My trainer and I often go on long road trips to horse shows. We live in central Long Island so we have to drive through NYC a lot. Once you get off the Long Island Expressway, there are no places to stop, nor are there any places you would WANT to stop. Most times, the only option for a bathroom is the trailer. When you gotta go, you gotta go! We always joke around about keeping a lookout for police officers while one of us is peeing in the trailer. How embarrassing would that be!

redhorse05
Mar. 11, 2001, 08:34 AM
I just noticed this yesterday. I went to visit the folks in suburban Chicago and drove to dinner in my truck. I was able to locate my truck in the parking lot by smell! It's bad when the OUTSIDE of a horse person's vehicle even has it's own Eau De Equine parfum!

~Odin

Portia
Mar. 11, 2001, 10:19 AM
Portia Potty, Katey? Portia Potty?!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif You dare make up the term Portia Potty for peeing in the trailer or stall?

I LIKE IT! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JR*
Mar. 11, 2001, 12:49 PM
only horse people would: actually view themselves as lucky to be able to fly/drive/van/train/(any mode of transportation) in order to ride horses

think people are weird when they are amazed that you were in wellington for the weekend and a) did not go party in palm beach, b)did not go to the beach at all!

think teachers are weird when they don't understand the idea of commuting to florida for the weekend

fantasize about being able to stay in wellington, in a cheap rental for the entire winter, and miss parties, etc up north

drive for an hour in a snowstorm in order to see horsey in 6 degree weather, and then take of 3 of those layers (leaving self in tee shirt) in order to have enough mobility to adjust blankets on finiky, spooky filly)

oh, yeah, and that's just winter...it just gets worse in may, when the real horse show season starts! then you actually DO get to live on the road. Of course it's not weird to wake up at 3:30, or go to bed at 7:15pm, for that matter, or actually have a preference when it comes to minimarts (mobil stations over 7-11s any day! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ), or go on a road trip with a bunch of friends (mostly boys), who don't understand the horse thing, and actually be insulted when they pull over to the side of the road to pee, but when you have to pee, they valiently try to find a toilet (I can squat with the best of 'em, thankyouverymuch! yay cub scout badge!)

Small Change
Mar. 11, 2001, 05:36 PM
My Dad is a vet, and used to do large animal farm calls all the time. One night he gets called out around 11:00 pm or so to deliver a calf by ceserean section. A few hours later, he's on his way home and gets pulled over by a RIDE stop (the breathalyzer people). The lady cop acually fainted when he rolled down the window. There he was, completely covered in blood with what looked like bloody mideval torture insturments on the seat beside him. He was lucky that the other cop on duty was also one of his clients and knew what the Doc was up to...

Not exactly horsey but...

JRG
Mar. 12, 2001, 04:35 AM
Going to the Airport to pick up your friend with your steel toe boots on because you have been working all day. Keep setting off the security thing and can't figure out why.

Took me about 20 min, to figure that out. I kept saying "I don't have anything else in my pockets". I am sure I was about 5min away from a strip search when I remembered the toes in the boots.

LittleWitch
Mar. 12, 2001, 09:47 AM
My sister and I went to the grocery store after being at the barn all day and a girl with a push broom followed us around the whole time ("clean up on aisle 6...clean up on aisle 7...clean up on aisle 8").

My old trainer told me that she was at the grocery store with another rider and a guy came up to them and asked if they rode horses. They said yes and the guy said "my sister rides horses and she is always covered in dirt too."

hoopoe
Mar. 12, 2001, 12:35 PM
Only a hard core barn rat and despirate coffee drinker would blow the dead fly and shaving out of the coffee cup and then pour a cup of joe without washing it.

dressager
Mar. 15, 2003, 03:43 AM
Only a horse person would-

*Start clucking to herself when she needs to go somewhere

*Say whoa to the dog

*Walk through downtown Hong Kong in full seat breeches, polo shirt, baseball hat, and tall boots- and wonder why people are staring!

*Make the dog jump over her legs for a treat

*Have parents that buy spurs, whips, and various leather items without batting an eye

*Go to the market in muck boots COVERED in mud, sweat pants that are too big, an old sweat shirt, and the hair going everywhere

*Pick up road apples and touch sheaths with your hands

Dressager (http://www.geocities.com/lubenkafarm)
California, here I come!!!

~WiLlOw~
Mar. 15, 2003, 05:25 AM
Haha us horse people,

Yes I have gone into stores with the works, Just on wesnday I went into Pizza Hut with beige breeches and riding pants, and a WHOLE guys hockey team was in there, I couldn't care less, lol.

Yes, I have jumped my dog,- hm I wonder why he never wants to go for walks when I ask him?

People have tired to make me pee in a horse trailer, I can't do it haha

Sit on your saddle stand and practise riding

Everything that could be a jump on the side of the road, counting strides and wishing you could jump on your horse and jump it.

Dump your b/f because he thinks you spend to much time with your horse

Turn down a party for 1 hour of riding, or even 10 mins of spending time with your horse

Wanna go tack shopping instead of spending your money on stuff for your self.

Yes I have walked around my highschool in the works! It was after gym class and I had to go straight to my lesson

Cantering around the store, and down the stairs!

Every bump on the high way pretend your jumping your horse, TRY IT!! IT REALLY FEELS LIKE YOUR JUMPING and count strides between each one http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

:cool

*~*JeSsIcA*~*
***WiLlOw LoVeR 4 EvEr***

Charisma
Mar. 15, 2003, 05:51 AM
-not spend $100 at the mall for clothes for herself, but not blink an eye at a $160 blanket for her horse ( who has a whole wardrobe worth more than her closet!!)

-bi$%h about getting up for work at 6:30, but rise and shine for a horse show at 3:30

-buy a Baker Blanket for her Dog

-have a husband who considers all those horse catalogs and magazines you recieve close to Crack because how addicted you are and how excited you get when they come!

-put off going to the hair dresser, because it is so expensive, but take a $40 lesson every week

-I agree, have been known to jump my dog
-count strides in cracks, etc
-go to dinner in my breeches/boots hat hair combo....

-doodle horseie drawings on my school work while taking notes in class

-live in poverty so my horse can live a life of luxury

Lord Helpus
Mar. 15, 2003, 06:39 AM
*** Just noticed the dates on PP 1 - 3 of this thread... I thought it looked familiar...***

Go to the hairdresser with your spurs still on over your sneakers -- the kind of sneakers with heels--- (so, I forgot...)

Rush out of a show in Rhode Island to catch a plane to try a horse in Minnesota and end up walking through the Chicago airport in breeches and boots. Talk about strange looks....

Have your nails done and notice that you have a substance that looks like manure under them.... Quandry: Do you tell the nice Vietnaese man what it is and excuse yourself to wash your hands? Or do you say nothing and let him clean it out as part of the "fill"?

Pee in the trailer? Where else would you pee at a show? I just tell the horse to "move over, it's my turn".

Undo back leg straps that the horse has just freshly pooped on without even thinking of getting a towel first.

Pick out a horse's rear feet as he starts to poop and not miss a beat (just move your head over a little http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I always live within my means, even if I have to borrow to do it.

[This message was edited by Lord Helpus on Mar. 15, 2003 at 09:48 AM.]

findeight
Mar. 15, 2003, 06:55 AM
I too have gone somewhere with the spurs still on.....

Astounding friends at other outdoor functions by simply brushing the flies off the food and eating it..just like at the barn or a horse show.

"Wasting" precious and hard earned vacation time going to East Podunkville, staying in a creepy motel and eating at Dennys instead of an Embassy Suites on a beach because there is a Horse Show in East Podunkville.

I mean, how many of your non horsey friends have the menu at Waffle House memorized?

Horse people in general can jump in their(dirty) car and drive out into the hinterlands following scanty directions-3 miles past the dead tree then right to the creek. Locating that pasture with that horse in it and only getting lost twice. Spending that time while lost looking at horses in other pastures.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

FatAppyRosie
Mar. 15, 2003, 08:58 AM
LMAO!! These are hilarious and oh so true!! I cluck at everything that is moving to slow, make my dog jump over things and tell her her legs aren't square enough. Go to the store in half chaps and pounds of mud on my boots. Count strides til cracks, shadows and anything else while driving. Spend more money on my horse then on myself. And on the long drives to wherever, I give cars horse breeds (i.e. semi= percheron, vw bugs= miniatures.) Spend hours in class coming up with new courses and making lists of things I need to do before the show...Ohhhhhhh....only horse people.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ifihadwords4u

Policy of Truth
Mar. 15, 2003, 09:05 AM
- Go do my grocery shopping at Ukrops with my riding tights, half-chaps and paddock boots SMELLING like a horse!

- Go to a nice Japanese restaurant with Duffy after riding/NO SHOWER OR CHANGE OF CLOTHES!!!(she did bring parfume for me to put on! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif)

- I don't just have a crop in my car, I have a LUNGE WHIP! My co-workers really find this ammusing!

- Call in sick to work this past wednesday because I needed an ALL DAY horse fix and it was the perfect day to bathe my grey mare! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

findeight
Mar. 15, 2003, 09:08 AM
and ladies...

HOW CAN WE FORGET HELMET HAIR at a fancy restaurant?

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

Shpankya
Mar. 15, 2003, 10:29 AM
Count your 'strides' as you get ready to go up the school stairs and shorten/lengthen as necessary so you get the perfect 10 spot as you take the step up the stairs.

-Erin Broussard

critter915
Mar. 15, 2003, 10:49 AM
What's so wrong with peeing in the trailer? The bathrooms and porta-potties really are a long way away! Especially if you don't have a golf cart(yes, we all walk)

I think it's funny when I'm shopping at Ukrops after getting back from the barn/show when I still throw in a bag of carrots and a bag of apples into the cart...and then there's no room for the rest of the groceries in the back of our volvo station wagon b/c there are tons of dirty saddle pads, girth fuzzies, blankets, and more coming home to be washed!

My friends think it's wierd when I change into breeches and flip flops or something after school b/c I have to go show

And they also think that it's wierd that I baby-sit for $ for entry fees instead of to go out shopping w/ them...and then I now get up naturally very early b/c I'm so used to being up at 4:00, and in the summer, to be able to get up at 8 seems like a priviledge.

You think it's wierd that your mom will pay that much for a Kate Spade purse after she just finished telling you that she doesn't have enough money to buy you new breeches, etc.

you don't go and party on Friday nights, you're sitting on your kitchen floor cleaning and oiling your bridle b/c it's made out of cheap leather and you can't afford a new one!

you go crazy in a tack shop, much like how your friends act when they are shoe-shopping

you skipped your homecoming dance to go to the USGPL finals, then your mom felt bad that you not going and said that she would buy you a dress and you can still go---you reply, "Can I instead go to the tack shop tomorrow and get my new coat, please!"

Bluesy
Mar. 15, 2003, 10:55 AM
Bwahahaha!

I'm also one of the many who have peed in horsetrailers/stalls http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

~Think nothing of going anywhere covered in horse hair

~Share your food with the ponies

~I've been gulity of calling my DOG a pony http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

~Go shopping at wal-mat just to look for things you need, or think you need in the barn (rubber gloves, shop towels, mineral oil etc)

~spend hours (and much money) in tack shops trying to remember what you needed (since you never wrote it down) and come out buying stuff that you don't need, but wanted anyway, then come home to remember what it was you needed and didn't buy

~spend hours grooming your horse, but not yourself

~Spend lots of money on products for grooming your horse, but when it comes to yourself, just washing it and throwing a brush through it too.

~Your truck/car is filled with the deep rich scent of barn, and you are so used to it that you don't notice it. BUT when any non-horsey set comes within 10 feet of it, they A: pass out B: hold their nose and be polite or C: complain about the smell

~your said truck is also covered in shavings and hay

~all of your clothes have horse hair embedded in them, even the good ones

Time wounds all heels ~ Groucho Marx

critter915
Mar. 15, 2003, 11:05 AM
we should make a t-shirt w/ all these things on it! I'll get on it...would anyone buy it? Then it can be one more piece of clothing that gets ruined at the barn http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bluesy
Mar. 15, 2003, 11:56 AM
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Critter, I'd buy it! Just don't make them white! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~You spend half an hour looking up you horses names on an online dictionary Just for fun http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Time wounds all heels ~ Groucho Marx

carribean
Mar. 15, 2003, 12:03 PM
Ok, I've tried to pee in stalls, but I can't do it without getting urine all over myself/breeches/feet. So how????

Hmm...
-put your bridle together at school during a free period
-contemplated wearing breeches/tall boots to school (it's not against the dress code!)
-picked up manure with bare hands
-spend tons more on your horse than yourself

"Friends don't let friends have mullets."

critter915
Mar. 15, 2003, 12:09 PM
haha- no not white...maybe a nice greenish beige to go with our tailored sportsmans...or a bright green so when we spill vetrolin on ourselves, you will only smell it, not see it!

Sparky22
Mar. 15, 2003, 12:29 PM
Here's one:

After a long day at the horse show you mosey into a nearby restaurant. As you sit down, 6 syringes fall out of your jacket pocket from giving Adequan/Legend. Everyone just stops and stares while a fellow horseperson (who of course recognizes you by your dirty appearance) picks them up and hands them to you http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

One of my friends called me a couple of days ago to report that she got pulled over and while one cop tlaked to her (tail light out http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) the other one shined his flashlight into her car only to see syringes and needles and an empty vial of Ace. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Luckilly they beleived ehr that they were from her horse (either they believed her or couldn't stand her stench anymore). http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

--------------------------
I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
-- John Keats

Adelita
Mar. 15, 2003, 12:57 PM
Goes to the laundromat with filthy dirty, shavings-covered horse blankets and sheets and feels not one whit of remorse for the shavings and dirt left all over the floor and inside and outside the washing machine. (heck, that's why I don't wash them at home!)

When I drive I count strides and find spots to cracks in the pavement or posts/signs on the side of the road, and canter and "jump" by twiddling my toes... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I LOVE the horsey smell of my truck. When someone non-horsey gets in and says "ewww it smells in here" I say, "yeah, isn't it great? Nothing like the smell of horse". Of course, I had said filty dirty horse blankets living in my truck for months before they got to the laundromat.

I've been asked by the checkers at my local grocery store twice: "what do you do with so many carrots? do you have rabbits?"

I'm right there with whomever said that we are the only ones disappointed that they don't sell hotdogs at 7-11 at 3:30 a.m.

I also can't stand getting up early. I am NOT a morning person. But come the day of a horse show, and I am up and energized and ready to go.

Yup, peeing in the trailer. And then pulling out your cot and sleeping in there. Done that. Peeing in the stall at a show, with my mare nuzzling my face trying to figure out just what I am doing. I always make sure to "go" in her potty corner, she's very neat and clean and I wouldn't want to offend her LOL.

I love sharing apples with my mare. She takes a bite, I take a bite, she takes a bite slobbering it up, and so on. Carrots, too.

She loves peppermints, too.....not only do I pick wrappers out of the lint screen of my dryer, I have found, many a time, my clothes stuck together with melted peppermints in the dryer. Oh well!

&gt;^.,.^&lt;
~~Linda

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" - Antoine de Saint Exupery

bailey07
Mar. 15, 2003, 02:28 PM
If...

~you see a roach in your house you freak out and have to get your dad to kill it, but when there is one in the barn you sqish it with out thinking twice.

~you set up minature courses for you hampster to jump over, then make larger ones for your cat, then larger for your dog, then larger for yourself...

~you canter/trot up to and then jump anything that is in your path

~you pay your sister $5 to just take you to the barn

~you have a lesson at 2:30 in the afternoon, but dont take your boots and half chaps off until about 10 at night

~your i favorite store to visit and shop at is the tach shop

~you decide to only do track because you want to do the hurdles and high jump, and you are sure you wont ever have problems making it over the hurdles because you jump pillows and sticks as tall as your shoulder all the time.

~When shopping online, you look for clothes that would be cute to wear to the barn

I also have peed in the stalls, gotten the strangest looks at restraunts/stores because i still have all my riding stuff on (unless i go into tack shops), and about everything else that has been mentioned!

*Have you ever wondered why we are afraid of little things like a common spider, but our favorite things in this world are our horses, who weigh about 10 times we do and could hurt us in a second? haha just a crazy thought...*

SpringBreak
Mar. 15, 2003, 04:09 PM
http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

*Spring Break*
*Simon*
*Homie S*

Diary
Mar. 15, 2003, 05:18 PM
-Have washed their hair and/or showered in a wash stall

-Consider if the clothing they are buying is suitable for riding because indeed they know full well it's gunna make it out to the barn at some point

-Your comments from school say on a regular basis "Your child is a good student, she always makes up missed work from going to horseshows!"

-The first thing you tell guys you meet is how you ride horses, how horses take up every Friday night and many Sundays and that horses will always be number one in your book

-Your teachers are never surprised that you are missing school again for a horseshow, they simply hand you the work and wish you luck

You think you know but you have no idea, this is the diary of...

dressagediva
Mar. 15, 2003, 05:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:

-- Pee in the stall/trailer when no one (except your horse) is looking because the porta-potties are way too far away (oh come on -- you've done it. admit it.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha. I'm totally guilty of that one! I dispise porta potties. I'd rather squat in a horse trailer anyday!

lucky2day99
Mar. 15, 2003, 05:47 PM
Hmmm... let's see

Yes I have gone to the bathroom in horse's stalls-- but not in a trailer. My mare used to come up to me if I was squatting in her stall and then when I would leave she would go and investigate.

I have no problem with sharing food with horses. And horse poop does not even bother me. But cleaning out the litter box makes me gag.

In my car right now-- there are standing bandages, a huge lunge whip (I drive a VW Golf so the whip is half in the front seat and in the back seat), lunge line, an extra halter, a helmet, saddle pad---

I used to grain horses at a very spread out farm and when I was running late in the morning to head to work, I would put the buckets of grain in my car-- needless to say I used to have an assortment of fallen sweet feed in the carpet not to mention hay.

Today at work, I wiped my forhead and smelled "horsey" on my coat sleeve-- whereas others think it smells gross-- it is a smell that makes me instantly smile.

Hmmm.. right now in my pockets are peppermints and two horse cookies.

I too have been guilty of going to "respectable" resteraunts dressed in show clothes after a long hard day.

winnie
Mar. 15, 2003, 06:03 PM
These are great!

I love the smell of tack cleaning stuff (esp. Murphy's Oil Soap)

I too am guilty of peeing in the trailer, esp. when hunting and there are no bathrooms around http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Almost to college!

Indy
Mar. 15, 2003, 07:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
*** Just noticed the dates on PP 1 - 3 of this thread... I thought it looked familiar...***

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too! I started reading the first page and got all freaked out when I saw my name as an author on one of the posts. I got afraid that someone was posting under my name or something until I realized that the post was from 2001. LOL http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My latest "Only Riders-ism" deffinately has to be talking about artificial insemination over pizza at a restraunt. You've never seen such a funny look on a waiter's face when he overhears you talking about different amounts each stallion "produces" during a collection. I think he thought we were nuts http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

diKecnadnuS
Mar. 15, 2003, 07:16 PM
Complain about having to clean a horse's sheath--but actually do it eventually!! Now that is animal love.

About the being pulled by cops thing...2 yrs ago on new years a good friend of mine and I were driving to my house in her car when we got pulled. She had tons of syringes in her glove box, ace (her horse could get kinda psycho sometimes when being trailered), and lots of little plastic baggies of very finely crushed white powder (ie: already crushed and measured out doses of bute for convenience at horse shows)...needless to say the cop did not look too pleased. Thank God I live in CAMDEN bc she just said, these drugs arent drugs for me, they're for my horse. She didn't even get a ticket for speeding http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

maudeflanders
Mar. 15, 2003, 07:31 PM
Whew! I'm not the only one "riding" when I'm driving! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I search for distances, and love the "intersection in-and-outs" formed by crosswalks. They look like oxers. Although I find that I tend to drift to the right side of my lane because I want to find the center of the "jump." http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I also cluck or growl at traffic long before I realize I have a horn (not that I ever honk my horn... usually).

I still say "horsie!" when I spot one on a road trip. Just like I did when I was a kid.

ponyjumper102
Mar. 15, 2003, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shpankya:
Count your 'strides' as you get ready to go up the school stairs and shorten/lengthen as necessary so you get the perfect 10 spot as you take the step up the stairs.

-Erin Broussard<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!!!!!!! We have to admitt, we've probably all done that one!!!!!!

One of my favorites is finding little peices of hay in the pocket of my sweatshirts.

"It takes one to ride, but two to win."

"There is fate, but it only takes you so far. Because once you're there it's up to you to make it happen"

J. Turner
Mar. 15, 2003, 08:11 PM
My babysitter, a fashion fanatic, who cannot stand dirt or sweat, is horrified that we go to the grocery store while in my breeches. She usually offers to go in and do the shopping for me. Therefore, I usually don't change.

... restock their collection of Breyer horses as adults since the originals were broken, given away, or sold at tag sales. BTW, our TJ Maxx has been stocking medium size Breyers in the kids' toy section.

... bring a longe whip into the classroom to scare students and not be reported to Child Protective Services.

... wear a black hat and boots, wool coat, and heavy twill pants in 100 degree heat and not take off the hat from dawn to dusk, lest one ruin the perfect earwings under her hat.

... get to work late almost every morning sleeping through the alarm, but wake up wide-eyed, and bushy-tailed BEFORE the alarm at 4:20 (clock set 30 minutes fast) on show mornings.

... shampoo, gel, blow dry hair at 4:30 am to get the perfect earwings.

... sit in kids' section of the bookstore reading the next installment of the "Thoroughbred" YA series.

... pee in stalls and trailers. The Portia-Pottees at my sisters weddings were owned by the "Blow Brothers"! I prefer a stall, thank you. Another babysitter looked at me like I had lost my last braincell when I told her to pee in the stall when the toilet wasn't working at the barn.

... like kisses from their horses better than from their husbands.

... want their kid to ride, but not to show because we can only afford one person to show, and it's gonna be me, dammit!

... think gasp at buying an oxford shirt at the Gap on sale for 24.99, but will blindly buy a new show shirt for 89.99.

... thinks Abercrombies are a rip off for cargo pants at 69.99, but will pay 179.99 for a pair puke-green pants at Bevals.

... gets the "Excalibur" joke.

... will keep her horse's sheath squeaky clean, but not her husband's.

... doesn't think horse poop smells bad. "Hey, it's just fermented grass!"

... notice Shadowfax is wearing a neckrope and Ian McKellan has stirrups in the last scene in the The Two Towers.

... notice that Uther Pendragon and Arthur use the same horse in "Excalibur" and are using a rubber Tom Thumb pelham with one rein that she's pretty sure wasn't popular with the 7th century horsemen.

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
-- Maurice Sendak

"When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes."
-- Shakespeare, Henry V

TropicalStorm
Mar. 15, 2003, 08:13 PM
*grins* LOL - I see myself-over and over again!

Here are a couple more (lol-that have happened in the past 6 months)

-being brought into the principal's office trying to explain why, in a routine locker check, they found 4-5 needles and syringes (parents or teachers didn't appreciate the humor in this)

-ditching the boyfriend who complains that I don't spend enough time with him and that I think he's second best (well, duh http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) Love me, love my horse...

-your friends don't so much as cringe anymore if you come to their houses with hay in your hair and manure on your pants. they just shake their heads and present you with the jeans that they made you leave at their house

-can't remember the names of the 20 odd class mates you have, but remember the names and breeds of all 70 horses at your barn.

-others get excited by Playboy/Seventeen/Cosmopolitan, ect...you barely glance at them and reach for the newest horse magazine.

-ditch the party 1/2 hour it started because you remembered that you wanted to check on your horse (who had a teensy weensy cut)

-bitch nonstop about cleaning your room, but happily trod off to work at the barn 2 times a week to clean 30 stalls.

-convince your non-horsey friends that it'll be an absolute blast to go to a horseshow in the rain (hey...you're having a great time! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

-almost choke when you have to buy an expensive grad dress, but in a 'make-yourself-better-move' you head down to the tack shop.

-others get thrilled when the Bay has a sale...you on the other hand? Truly ecstatic if the tack shop offers 10% off ANYTHING.

-know which medications to give to your horse instantly, but can't decide between the Advil and the Tylenol, so just gives up.

-design courses in class, get weird looks from your classmates/teachers when you start mumbling "I don't think that distance is quite right" or "hmmm...I'm going to have to extend his stride"

-convince your parents that it is totally the 'right thing to do' to let you skip school that day, because it's all useless subjects, so that you can cheerfully head over to your barn to watch a clinic.

K http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'm done!

jvanrens
Mar. 16, 2003, 03:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:

I am the ultimate "oblivious to stares" horse owner. My Volvo wagon carries three bales of hay on the roof rack, 4 baled shavings in the back seat and 6 fifty lb bags of grain (Equine Senior, Equine Junior and Omolene 300 for broodmares) at a time on a regular "lunch break" errand run. My boss doesn't even flinch anymore but has been know to request that I park the pick up with two round bales _ behind _ our office building!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, that's great to know! I haven't had to do a shavings run with my wagon (yet), but it's nice to know how much stuff you can fit into a Volvo! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif My SIL likely never thought I'd be hauling all sorts of horse stuff in the back of that thing when she gave it to me (yes I LOVE my SIL! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), but I have discovered you can carry a hunt saddle, a big ol' western show saddle, lotsa saddle pads of various sorts (to go with those two saddles), and huge bags of horse blankets and misc. tack. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jo

*** Remember that eagles may soar, but weasels very seldomly get sucked into jet engines ***

GangGreen
Mar. 16, 2003, 03:11 PM
only riders...

-Have used the metal part of a girth to open a bottle of beer when there was no bottle opener around.

Starmite
Mar. 16, 2003, 03:34 PM
Skip school dances to go to horse shows.

Hate major holidays and vacations because they miss time at the barn.

Insist on washing their hands immediately after touching a public door knob, but don't hesitate to eat finger foods immediately after picking poop out of their horse's hooves.

Measure themselves in hands.

cluck and tighten inner calf muscles when traffic is slow.

lean forward in the car when going uphill. lean back then the car is going downhill.

walk into public places with chaps and spurs and wonder why they get stared at.

teach their dogs to jump jumps.

critique their dogs on their form, jumping style, turns, etc.

when trying on pants, get into mock-jumping position in the dressing room to make sure they're not too tight.

Spend thousands of dollars on tack and complain about the cost of furniture.

Have slobber stains all over their clothes, and don't hesitate to tell curious friends exactly what it is. "Oh don't worry, it's just horse spit." The reaction is great...you might as well say "Oh don't worry, it's just dog poop."

~MP

*Founding member of the 'Starmite Rocks My World' CLICK*

Starmite
Mar. 16, 2003, 03:58 PM
Oh I have another one!!!

Stay home from school with a sore throat, but insist on showing even though you're dizzy, asthematic (sp?), puking, and can't see out of your left eye.
(ok ok this hasn't happened to me, but my friend, Lauren, can relate.)

~MP

ChangeOfHeart
Mar. 16, 2003, 06:06 PM
-only horse people cluck at their old car trying to get it up the hill

ponyjumper102
Mar. 16, 2003, 06:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Starmite:
Skip school dances to go to horse shows.

Insist on washing their hands immediately after touching a public door knob, but don't hesitate to eat finger foods immediately after picking poop out of their horse's hooves.

Measure themselves in hands.

cluck and tighten inner calf muscles when traffic is slow.

lean forward in the car when going uphill. lean back then the car is going downhill.

walk into public places with chaps and spurs and wonder why they get stared at.

teach their dogs to jump jumps.

critique their dogs on their form, jumping style, turns, etc.

when trying on pants, get into mock-jumping position in the dressing room to make sure they're not too tight.

Spend thousands of dollars on tack and complain about the cost of furniture.

Have slobber stains all over their clothes, and don't hesitate to tell curious friends exactly what it is. "Oh don't worry, it's just horse spit." The reaction is great...you might as well say "Oh don't worry, it's just dog poop."

~MP

*Founding member of the 'Starmite Rocks My World' CLICK*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG! I think you hit every single one I could think of! I just have to ad something to one of them!

BUT you don't mind taking a 2 week trip to look at horses for sale!

"There is fate, but it only takes you so far. Because once you're there it's up to you to make it happen"

Goofy TB Mare
Mar. 16, 2003, 06:50 PM
I've gone food shopping in my tailored sportsmans, boots socks and my birkenstocks a few times....talk about some wierd looks.

I also drove home in my helmet one day. I forgot to take it off before I left the barn and it was nice out that day so i had my windows down. I was stopped at a stop light and this guy that was next to me was like are you that bad of a driver?? It was so funny!

http://community.webshots.com/user/chunkymonkey868

hifi
Mar. 16, 2003, 08:01 PM
I always go out to dinner in my riding clothes, I am sure they think I am a freak!

Poindexter, may he rest in peace.
Certified Thread Killer
www.melodicfarms.com (http://www.melodicfarms.com)
www.touchdownfarms.com (http://www.touchdownfarms.com)
Drop Bombs, Not Bush

hifi
Mar. 16, 2003, 08:03 PM
Betsypony161, I love my GPA so much I would go to work in it and sleep in it if I didn't get those weard looks!

Poindexter, may he rest in peace.
Certified Thread Killer
www.melodicfarms.com (http://www.melodicfarms.com)
www.touchdownfarms.com (http://www.touchdownfarms.com)
Drop Bombs, Not Bush

Starmite
Mar. 17, 2003, 04:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ponyjumper102:

BUT you don't mind taking a 2 week trip to look at horses for sale!

"There is fate, but it only takes you so far. Because once you're there it's up to you to make it happen"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on...same goes w/ horse shows!
~MP

mango1612
Mar. 17, 2003, 05:24 PM
I'm so happy! I was beginning to worry because I don't really care if I go shopping or not! But give my permission to go buy a new pair of TS's or a new coat (getting one soon-YESS!) and thats my kinda shopping!
~make up courses for fun
~draw horses
~think up super great horse names!
~wish I could ride more while I'm at school!
I hope I'm not too old to be doing these things...

"Can't act. Can't sing. Can dance a little."
~From Fred Astaire's screen test~

betterthanpickles
Mar. 17, 2003, 05:26 PM
Only do riders

Look at things and think "hmmm, that would make a nice jump!"
or count the "strides" when walking from one place to another

mango1612
Mar. 17, 2003, 05:27 PM
One more little thing... of course I never think twice about wearing riding clothes in a public place! you get looks, but heck, whatever... Usually I'm completely beat and starving....

"Can't act. Can't sing. Can dance a little."
~From Fred Astaire's screen test~

HollBear
Mar. 17, 2003, 06:47 PM
I too have the needle in the glove box. It was tough explaining it to my state inspection guy when he went into my glove box to get my registration.

Last year I convinced my husband to go on a little vacation during our anniversary...of course anyone would want to go to Palm Beach, FL in February!!!I just had no idea that there was a winter equestrian festival there. That is my story and I'm sticking to it! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

easy now
Mar. 17, 2003, 07:23 PM
Well you've caught about all of mine. My husband often just shakes his head and says we're all nuts. He can't believe the restraunts I've been in after a show still in my show clothes with a cap on. (Same restraunts that I've been upset that he's worn jeans to, not on a horse show day.) He also can't understand why I can eat anything that a fly has landed on like it was nothing. Most of my other friends think the same things but only he will say it to me.

Who else has shopped on the way home from the barn at stores not too close to your house so that you won't see anyone you know. You know that you smell like a truck driver that has been cleaning stalls all day without a shower for weeks.

Oh and my all time favorite...refuses to go camping because of the dirt/flies etc. but says horse shows are a totally different thing and doesn't mind sleeping in the trailor!

xen99ia
Mar. 17, 2003, 11:27 PM
The first thing that comes to mind when I see a nice fallen log in the woods is wow, what a nice jump!

I used to be really horse deprived when I was younger (not being able to afford my own horse) so I taught my dog to jump and drive. She knew walk trot and canter and even lunged a bit. People would look at me kinda funny when I used the same commands one would use while lunging a horse on my dog. In addition to the gait commands, she also knew canter-jump which meant run over to the nearest obstacle and hop over it. She had the nicest form over fences! I’ve also taught my cats how to jump but they don’t do it as elegantly as my dog.

Total horse addict http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/satanxenia

Shpankya
Mar. 18, 2003, 07:01 AM
-Practice your jumping position in the mirror orver and ever again in different ways..and see which one looks best.

-Get all excited for the first show of the year and happily and eagerly put on your whole wardrobe of show clothes

-Spend hours and hours of crying and pulling, and twisting, and yelling, and just about everything else to get those tall boots off your swollen and sweaty feat after a long day at the horse show.

-Erin Broussard

wimbsy
Mar. 18, 2003, 07:10 AM
Only riders... spend all day at work surfing the ebay internet looking for the best deal on used Tailored Sportsmans!

(I just bought a pair last night!)

http://www.geocities.com/wimbsy1980

eclipse
Mar. 18, 2003, 07:36 AM
Eating food with horse poo under the finger nails...try to explain how it's only grass & oats to a grossed out family member. LOL. Oh yeah, & who can forget going grocery shopping, with smelly breeches & boots on (people move aside very quickly) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and then when the guy carries your groceries to your car, high fives your hubby when he sees the spurs & crops in the back seat!!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

"When the mare's good, she's very very good, but when she's bad.........look out!!!"

kileyc
Mar. 18, 2003, 08:38 AM
Only Riders:
-practice their dressage test in their office on foot while co-workers peak in their windows, thinking they've lost it!
-sneak off at lunch to get that last good jump school in before the horse show, sneak back in assuming no one could smell you!
-take a conference call on their cell phone on a Friday afternoon at the horse show, covering the phone every time a horse whinneys, and saying "I think that was my co-worker laughing, wait and I'll close my door" then sitting in a 100degree truck to finish the call.
-getting a complaint from your work security that your Jack Russel and your Aussie are barking too loud in the parking lot in your truck the morning you are leaving for a horse show!
-when you announce at your family reunion that your horse passed the vet check and is SOLD, your Dad announces that "Gee, good ole boyfriend has moved up a rung on your priority list" everyone laughs but good ole boyfriend!

Country Dash
Mar. 18, 2003, 11:41 AM
I have gone to the mall in my riding gear a few times and i have gone to dinner many times in all of my riding clothes. But just resently i ditched off a grad meeting for my horse. you see my aunt is very big on my schoool being top priority and i see otherwise so i (being on the decorating comitte for grad)decided i could not go to the hotel to see the set up because i have to go home and ride my horse. ooops. Oh well who wants to be on the decorating commite anyways. OH and i also have a tendancy to count my distance to an object as i am walking. for instance if i see a shadow on the ground i will walk the distance for it.

Zaboobafoo
Mar. 19, 2003, 07:03 AM
Hehe, these are great! I can't even count on all the hairs on my head the times I've gone out to dinner with my riding clothes or even flown home from horse shows with boots and britches still on(Especially at Harrisburg! I couldn't miss a MOMENT of the medal Final!!)

Some others
~ Think about "leg yields" when you change lanes
~ Think punched toes are a fashion statement on ANY shoe
~ Relate EVERYTHING in life to horses, horse shows, and riding
~ Think riding carosuels(sp) is the perfect to time to pratice posting without stirrups
~ Love tug or war because that 17.2 heavy warmblood made your arms stronger than anyone out there!
~ run over and coo like a litte kid whenever you see a horse
~ exclaim "horsie!" and stop your channel surfing anytime a horse appears on the TV
~ when people ask you how a movie was that had horses in it, you are sure to tell them how cute the horses were

hehehe