PDA

View Full Version : LONG ISLAND PHA meeting



PONYPULR
Apr. 3, 2001, 07:02 AM
The PHA meeting last night went very well with Dick London presiding, as Alvin was away at a show.

We discussed the finalizing of the horse show- Laura brought the schedule and is ready for the prize list to go to the printer today. The only thing we are missing is a caterer. Karin has a business associate that does catering and will investigate that further.

Barbara Messina was in attendance as well, to tell us about her new website, www.FantasticEquineWebsites.com. (http://www.FantasticEquineWebsites.com.) She has a BB there and has offered it to the group, at least until Michael gets one going on the LIHSAA's site. Please check it out and let us know if y'all think we should take our discussions there.

A quick talk of next year's dinner occurred, and then some discussion of the LIHSAA rule proposal took place. Other that Mrs. Rice, Laura, and myself, no other LIHSAA members were present. We all(everyone at the meeting) agreed that the proposed rule should be touched on at future meetings. Debby Deleyer asked for a revamping of the current method of contacting the LIHSAA board and it was suggested that perhaps the LIHSAA should be governed by the LIPHA. Then topics could be brought up at PHA meetings and would be brought to the Board's attention via the PHA.

So now this idea will be presented to LIHSAA and an invitation extended to attend the next PHA meeting on May 8th.

So what are your thoughts on this new potential relationship of these 2 groups? We want your opinions on this, and how you think it will affect the future of our sport on Long Island.

As stated before, the next PHA meeting will be on May 8th- TUESDAY at 7:30pm. Linda Prisco is looking into the use of the diner in Smithtown.

PONYPULR
Apr. 3, 2001, 07:02 AM
The PHA meeting last night went very well with Dick London presiding, as Alvin was away at a show.

We discussed the finalizing of the horse show- Laura brought the schedule and is ready for the prize list to go to the printer today. The only thing we are missing is a caterer. Karin has a business associate that does catering and will investigate that further.

Barbara Messina was in attendance as well, to tell us about her new website, www.FantasticEquineWebsites.com. (http://www.FantasticEquineWebsites.com.) She has a BB there and has offered it to the group, at least until Michael gets one going on the LIHSAA's site. Please check it out and let us know if y'all think we should take our discussions there.

A quick talk of next year's dinner occurred, and then some discussion of the LIHSAA rule proposal took place. Other that Mrs. Rice, Laura, and myself, no other LIHSAA members were present. We all(everyone at the meeting) agreed that the proposed rule should be touched on at future meetings. Debby Deleyer asked for a revamping of the current method of contacting the LIHSAA board and it was suggested that perhaps the LIHSAA should be governed by the LIPHA. Then topics could be brought up at PHA meetings and would be brought to the Board's attention via the PHA.

So now this idea will be presented to LIHSAA and an invitation extended to attend the next PHA meeting on May 8th.

So what are your thoughts on this new potential relationship of these 2 groups? We want your opinions on this, and how you think it will affect the future of our sport on Long Island.

As stated before, the next PHA meeting will be on May 8th- TUESDAY at 7:30pm. Linda Prisco is looking into the use of the diner in Smithtown.

brilyntrip
Apr. 3, 2001, 09:05 AM
it is a long time coming!!!!!Hopefully this will happen I think it is a must

Gold Dust
Apr. 3, 2001, 10:04 AM
Great job Janet on the PHA meeting recap! I was glad to see the room full. Thanks Linda for checking out the new location for us. No bread bowls, but, I think we can get through it!!
I feel [as you all know] the LIHSAA is in dire need of remodeling. A merge with the PHA and having both work together I think is a good idea. The community will be more involved and votes will be taken with the board knowing the feelings of the general public. Closed meetings and closed voting does not let the board see how the majority feels. Besides, that just makes everyone who is out there in the trenches every week feel their input is not a factor and it should be.
As far as who is on that board, now that also in my opinion needs a major face lift. People on that board as I have said, do not even attend PHA meetings and some have just lost touch with the public!
Lots of work ahead for L.I. No time like now to get some wheels in motion!

PONYPULR
Apr. 3, 2001, 01:46 PM
Especially since there are no meetings in July or August- September's will be a humdinger!!

So Gold Dust- If the LIHSAA is to be revamped, who or how many do you think should be on it? And should it still be responsible for the divisions and their specs?? And what about "policing" the shows? What are some ideas on handling that?

I hope that there will be an even representation of horse show managers, trainers, and exhibitors on it. All of which should be high profile- avid in the PHA and horse show community ON Long Island.

Gold Dust
Apr. 3, 2001, 05:48 PM
Let's see,where to start! First off I think the LIHSAA should still handle class specs. I also think it should follow through with show standards. It should be a mild version of the so called 'horse show police'. If horse show managers do not comply with what is asked of them actions should be taken. This is not an easy thing to do but in the long run it will make L.I. horse shows represent our home turf properly.
As far as comittee members the most important requirement I would think is being active on L.I. and able to attend meetings. If once a month is too much to ask of a board member then really, think about it, should they represent the majority? How about adding some professional trainers and riders, a L.I.judge and possibly an exhibitor?
Just a start here guys. Fell free to jump in any time now!!!!

Linda Prisco
Apr. 3, 2001, 07:17 PM
I think adding some professional trainers,riders, judges and exhibitors is a GREAT idea. Those are the people who are out there and have a pretty good handle on whats going on at the horse shows.I also think Janet would be a good candidate for POLICING the Horse Shows, dont you????????? She could even wear orange.
But on a serious note, how would you go about this new face lift? Do these people get voted in, chosen in, added in, how would that be done?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

PONYPULR
Apr. 4, 2001, 07:34 AM
In the olden days, the LIHSAA board consisted of mostly show managers. Since there were maybe 20 or shows that ran during the show season(April Fool's Day to Halloween) it was created to encourage more showing and to reward excellence.

One was appointed to the board, after the name was tossed around a bit by the board members, I guess.

In more recent years, I can only speak for myself- I begged the right people, I guess. I felt the board, at that time, needed some fresh blood and thought I could offer a new viewpoint to the group.
People are still appointed, mostly to replace those that are disinterested, or have moved away.

But if it were to be governed by the PHA, I should think that it would be appointed by them as well, no?

I agree with Deb- PAID PHA members should be the number one requirement. But I think there should be designated slots- 2 managers, 2 professionals, 2 exhibitors(a parent might even do), 2 AHSA judges, and an AHSA steward. That would be 9, an appropriate odd number for voting time. All should be active in our show community and attend PHA meetings regularly.

As far as policing the shows, the PHA members have always done that themselves. But not a lot has been done to improve any of the problems found. That needs to be fixed by both associations working together and deciding whether fines should be implemented or other means of "punishment" need to be imposed.

Linda Prisco
Apr. 4, 2001, 08:59 AM
Your ideas sound good!! If the LIHSAA should ever be governed by the PHA, then it would make sense that this "New Blood" should be appointed by them as well. But getting the LIHSAA linked with the PHA would be a task in itself, no????????? How would that fly?????
On another note, the new diner is a no go. They wont close the room off at night, too busy!!
Sorry, thought it was a good idea. Are we back to the Country Kitchen. I sent Mrs. Rice e-mail on this. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 4, 2001, 01:04 PM
Just got the image of Janet, dressed in orange with a little badge that says 'horse show police', go there, it is hysterical!!!!
Thanks for trying the new diner Linda. There is another diner up the street and closer to the LIE. Should I check it out?
Now, everyone, don't jump in all at once here! Need some imput here!!! Now- your idea is good Janet, but, since we are proposing a merge with the PHA shouldn't officers possibly become automatic board members then do an additional 9? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 4, 2001, 01:40 PM
Just wanted to ask you guys. Nothing to do with the thread. We are doing major ring renovations so alot of firewood has become avilable. If you know anyone who needs any tell them to come on over with their chainsaw this weekend! Thanks guys! Hey, now heres an idea- maybe I should have the PHA meeting here and tell everyone one bread bowl with every load of firewood you take out of here! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Linda Prisco
Apr. 4, 2001, 02:42 PM
I went there Debbie, its very hysterical, Janet dressed in orange, badge that says Horse Show Police, and a little orange hat, in the winter orange ear muffs. Dont you think she would do a good job??????????
On the diner thing, theres the old Blue Dawn on Vets Highway, not too far from the Exp. Is that the one you mean. You could check it out. Theres another one on Vets Hwy. closer to 111, theres a pool place next to it. I'll try to check that one out.
I like the idea of the Bread Bowls with the firewood though! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 4, 2001, 03:03 PM
See Linda- It had me rolling on the floor! i wish they had an orange smiley face here!!!!
The diner on vets is 'The Paradise' diner. Let me know how that goes. There is also Hidden pond diner on 111 and yup- blue dawn diner. All of these are close to the LIE. Let me know if you need me to check any of those out. You know I will just leave the ball in your court if you don't tell me you need help. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Believe you me linda- I am getting desperate. I am about to start a classified add for the bread bowl slash firewood thingy!!!!!

Linda Prisco
Apr. 4, 2001, 03:33 PM
So many diners, so little time..........
I think we need to change the yellow smileys to orange, they changed the color of the pages last week, why cant we change the smileys. Lets have a vote!
I'll check out the diners, should I ask if they have any bread bowls????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

brilyntrip
Apr. 4, 2001, 04:36 PM
1 - janet in her orange jeans is too funny with a little badge and a clip board?? In winter she could wear her orange coat totally impossible to miss her!!
2- Having been on the board of directors of three horse show associations this is how it usually went.
10 to 12 members usually voted on by membership.
Three pros three managers three OFFicials i.e. judges stewards rest active members i.e. amateurs parents.These groups met each month.Committees were as follows rule enforcement,executive committee,membership,special events,hunter equitation pony etc etc.Theses groups have a rule book which is sent or given to memebers upon reciept of their dues each yr.board of directors elects pres.,vice pres.,treasurer, they sit for three yrs and cannot sit for more than two terms.
So i think it should be a requirementthat to vote or sit on board you must be a paid member of PHA shows pay dues to LIHSAA as before.If shows haveto pay for right to hold PHA class then that money goes to pha right/??/If I have missed anything let me know.

PONYPULR
Apr. 4, 2001, 04:43 PM
OK- I am sorry- I forgot- The Chairperson of the PHA is automatically on the LIHSAA board. So maybe just one judge then. Anyway, the board needs to be balanced and all aspects of the show community well represented. Secretaries and horse show employees could work too, perhaps. Just so long as each member is educated to the goings on of the horse show industry on Long Island. Right now I'm not sure if all the High Score members know of the 20 Show Rule Proposal!!! I should hope they do, but judging by PHA and LIHSAA meeting attendance, it's a possibility that one or two do not as yet.

As to my policing the shows, can I have an orange clipboard??

PONYPULR
Apr. 4, 2001, 04:57 PM
Dues paid by shows to hold PHA classes go to the PHA. And dues for LIHSAA divisions go to the LIHSAA. Those pay for the awards each year and Michael, I presume.

That set up that you described sounds pretty good. I don't know if we should limit term length to 3 years, though. We'll run out of perspective candidates quickly. Maybe every 5 years- and it maybe should be staggered so a whole new entourage doesn't set up shop every 3-5 years.

Also if it gets too detailed no one will go for it!!

***And an orange fine line pen, please***

PONYPULR
Apr. 4, 2001, 04:59 PM
***And if I need to write up a show, they'll receive an Orange Slip***

Gold Dust
Apr. 4, 2001, 06:23 PM
Now we are rolling. I like the 3, 3, and 3 members. I think all the little seperate entities may be too much at first. Just putting together an updated board and the merge will be enough work in itself. I love the ideas of officials, trainers, managers and exhibitors. We need a more diverse representation of the whole community. Yes Janet, you have a point with holding a term for at least 3 years. It will take that long to get the new system properly running.
Laura,when you pop back in I was wondering if you have spoken to Carolyn and see if she has any theories here. I am sure she has some ideas already. Please let us know!
Janet,I myself feel you should stay on the comittee [with all sincerity you are a valued member in my opinion] and I will furnish you with all the orange props you need!!!!

Jane
Apr. 4, 2001, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the recap, Janet! orange clipboard huh? let me see what I can do! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M. O'Connor
Apr. 5, 2001, 08:25 AM
Having just gotten around to paying attention to the "system" in recent months, and having pledged to "get involved" on one level or another, the other night was virtually my first PHA meeting (sorry about the tardiness, Mon is a hectic mom-day!)...anyway, I do follow that the LIHSAA is not presently a part of or formally answerable to the PHA, though the decisions it makes affect the interests of not only PHA members, but also the majority of participants at the LI shows, most of whom it seems are not PHA members. So presently, you have a large group (all exhibitors) affected by the actions of a very small and private group ( LIHSAA) that is not directly answerable to the only organization that has any structure to it whatsoever (PHA). The PHA, though open to enrollment by all, is an organization that is rather lightly supported considering the numbers of it's present membership compared to the numbers which could join and choose not to, or would join, but aren't congnizant as to the actual purpose of the PHA and how they might benefit by joining. Clearly, there are messages on many levels that are not being sent, or understood by those who should be on the receiving end. As I understand it, it was agreed by the PHA to extend an informal "invitation" to the LIHSAA as an entity to initiate discussions about joining the two groups in some way. It is my suggestion at this point that after the annual PHA show, that all involved should take a giant step back and consider the very big picture, including all those who currently are exhibitors, but who may for one reason or another not even be aware of the existance of the PHA or that there even is an organization available for them to join. In other words, to reach out not only to the LIHSAA, but to reassess the whole works from the bottom up to see if there is a better way to operate, considering all available resources and methods and what such an overhaul might be able to achieve in the way of new goals, ie more active membership, responsive leadership, special events (clinics/ seminars / trips abroad) publicity, sponsorship...we get so wrapped up in the day to day way we are used to doing things, that we may be overlooking a fantastic opportunity to create a very dynamic organization that could get things done on a level that we haven't up till now even considered.

Gold Dust
Apr. 5, 2001, 11:04 AM
I could only hope we could form something like that, and really get things done. First and foremost we need to put together a team of people that are willing to put time into it. They are out there. All the powers that be need to do is ask! I am hopeful new blood will start to come out of the woodwork!

M. O'Connor
Apr. 5, 2001, 03:45 PM
coming out of the woodwork would benefit them....I have to admit that it was years, and years before I even realized that the PHA was open to those who are not professionals. Even now, after becoming a bona fide dues paying member, I am not totally clear on what it exactly is that I am getting for my membership dollars, other than the right to speak up as a member at meetings. I am also assuming that our PHA is but a local chapter of the National PHA, which is one reason that I think that the structure of the LIHSAA and the PHA and their relationship to each other and to exhibitors (meaning professioinals, amateurs, and junior competitors at the shows) and to the equestrian community at large needs to be evaluated and the question needs to be asked: is this the most efficient way to achieve whatever goals we decide to make a priority in the upcoming years--on Long Island we face many pressures from outside and inside the sport. Its not just about counting points towards awards, which is something we are already pretty good at, despite the recent controversey over how we do this.

Gold Dust
Apr. 5, 2001, 06:27 PM
In my opinion the local chapter of the PHA works very hard with a small amount of volunteers to get things done. It holds its A rated horse show, Dinner dance, seminars and keeps us informed on happenings in zone 2. As long as you attend the meetings you can keep on top of things going on. LIHSAA seemed to hold a secret meeting once a year and really did not follow through on many needed things to help upscale L.I. Granted more and more horse shows are have been added since LIHSAA started. People may have just gotten tired and lost the drive to get things done. This is where a merge could help give them the lift it needs with new blood willing to really take the bull by the horns and get moving. Getting people motivated-key phrase here!

PONYPULR
Apr. 6, 2001, 09:26 AM
I think this last discrepancy over the point system shook up alot of people that usually take the "back seat" to most of the goings on of our show community. And we should take advantage of this opportunity, now. Times have changed. There are more shows and more people involved in them than 20 years ago. The system needs an update. There are a lot more livelihoods at stake and they need to be correctly represented, as well as the "Hobbiests."

RolexH
Apr. 6, 2001, 09:46 AM
does anyone here have a good refernce to a sales barn in NY? I have a mare that will be very competeive in the big shows. If someone could email me or pst a farm/trainer I would really appreciate it. I need a trainer that does the big shows or a referal to them. THANKS!!!!

Lisa

Linda Prisco
Apr. 6, 2001, 02:10 PM
Found a diner to have the meetings at. Its the New Horizon diner which is on Veterans Memorial Highway in Islandia, close to the expressway.
They cannot close the room off but will divide a large room in the back, put tables together. I think it will work. If anyone wants to check it out they can. They do expect some people to order dinners, although I told them that number varies. I guess I'll be eatting dinner there next month. Didn't see Bread Bowls on the menu!
NO CHARGE for the room, just order FOOD. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 6, 2001, 02:18 PM
Is that one East of the Blue Dawn diner? It is ringing a bell but cann't picture where it is. Thanks for doing the leg-work on this one Linda. I like the idea of having a section for us and not cramped into a little room. What do you think guys?

M. O'Connor
Apr. 6, 2001, 02:51 PM
anyplace closer to the Expressway! That drive down 111 was way longer than I thought it would be...we can all pretty much judge how long it will take to get to places closer to the well beaten 495.

Linda Prisco
Apr. 6, 2001, 02:53 PM
Debbie, this is the old Blue Dawn Diner, all redone. Do you know where it is? Its east of the expressway on Vets Hwy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 6, 2001, 05:30 PM
Linda- now I know exactly where it is. Did not know the blue Dawn changed hands. I think that place will be perfect. It is right off the expressway. Mary- just a short little drive. Mrs. Rice if you are out there what do you think? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Linda Prisco
Apr. 6, 2001, 07:20 PM
I sent Mrs. Rice e-mail about the new diner. Don't know if she got it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 8, 2001, 08:25 AM
I will call Mrs. Rice by tomorrow if no one has heard from her. I know I had some calls from people who missed the PHA meeting and vowed that with what has been going on they will not miss a meeting. I just need to tell them where it is.
Actually, on that note, Mrs. Rice- what do we think of when people sign in at the meeting ask them to write their address down also if they are not on the mailing list. Sounds to me that could use an update since some people have not been getting the postcard in the mail!

PONYPULR
Apr. 10, 2001, 07:21 AM
And maybe they could put their e-mail addresses on the sign-in sheet too.

So where is everybody? Now that it is finally Spring, I guess everyone has a life again!!

Gold Dust
Apr. 10, 2001, 09:21 AM
Just got off the phone with Mrs. Rice and she is going to get in touch with Dick London and let him know about the new meeting place and see if all agree with the new diner. I guess we will know shortly so people can be notified of the change.
Thanks Janet. I think there are more people then we realise that would attend the meetings if they knew when they were. Last few meetings have had more bodies in the room so I hope it keeps growing.

GinnyRice
Apr. 10, 2001, 09:43 AM
I tried toget Dick LOndon, was not home, left message. He had offered his home which is two blocks from Country Kitchen. If he calls backI will let everyone know. I think it's a great idea to have everyone sign in and add their address and their e-mail address. The e-mail address makes it so much simpler to let people know what going on.
We need as many people as possible at the next meeting to get this LIHSAA problem settled - should really be an active part of the PHA, not some separate entity.

PONYPULR
Apr. 11, 2001, 12:04 PM
That was very nice of Dick to offer his house for the meetings. As we all go there for dinner, will he have the meeting catered!?! If so, there is a big demand for bread bowls!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M. O'Connor
Apr. 11, 2001, 12:27 PM
I continue to lobby for someplace nearer the Expw'y...

Gold Dust
Apr. 11, 2001, 03:49 PM
Picture all of us complaining at Dicks house because there are no god d*** bread bowls! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Linda Prisco
Apr. 11, 2001, 03:56 PM
I don't think Dick is the Bread Bowl type, more like cheese and crackers, probably brie with apple and pear slices. Maybe even a little pepperoni, what do ya think????????????????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

M. O'Connor
Apr. 11, 2001, 06:04 PM
...if his house was nearer the Expressway, it would take less time to get there....

Gold Dust
Apr. 11, 2001, 06:55 PM
Mary-you are cracking me up-so-how about this... LIPHA meeting on the service rd. on exit 56. Cann't get any closer to the LIE then that!!! We can set up chairs on the back of that PONYPULR truck and we will be all set!

Linda Prisco
Apr. 11, 2001, 07:19 PM
Gold Dust had a great idea, you cant get any closer than Exit 56. I wonder if Ponypulr has enough chairs for the back of her truck?????
Will they be serving Bread Bowls??? I don't think Dick will be happy with the Expressway roadside meeting. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

M. O'Connor
Apr. 12, 2001, 04:29 AM
I can make those darn bread bowls...and fill ' em with soup/chili, whatever...SO, I volunteer MY house in Southampton for the meeting, and I promise you it is as out of the way as anything you can come up with up the island (as we call it out here)...the catch: Alas, it is a TOTALLY smoke free zone....

PONYPULR
Apr. 13, 2001, 08:11 PM
You'll never get the several Nassau-ians out to Southampton for a meeting!!! Hell-you wouldn't get me and I live at exit 62!!! Mid way is the best way!!! The diner Linda suggested gets my vote.

Or I could bring the trailer to exit 56....

GinnyRice
Apr. 16, 2001, 03:54 PM
Someone let me know whatis going on. Sharon was in hospital again, so was Dick. Both are out and feeling better. But it has been hectic. Let me know where the meeting is going to be so I can send out cards to those who don't compute. The diner sounds good to me, but give me an address and/or directions and hopefully I"ll get on the ball. Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 16, 2001, 07:20 PM
Did you hear from Alvin yet? Is the diner O.K. with him. [he is the pres.!!] I will get the correct address for you and phone number or- hey- Linda- you out there? You have that info. on hand?

Linda Prisco
Apr. 16, 2001, 08:45 PM
Here's the scoop on the Diner. It's the New Horizon diner on Vets Memorial Highway in Islandia.

sExit 57 on the Expressway. Coming from the East you would make the left onto Vets Hwy, its about 1 mile down on the right hand side. Coming from the West make the right onto Vets. The phone # 631-234-0810 /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 17, 2001, 06:55 AM
Should I spread the word Mrs.Rice? Is that the locale?!!!!

GinnyRice
Apr. 17, 2001, 01:11 PM
I'll see if I can get Alvin and get his opinon. Let you know what happens

GinnyRice
Apr. 17, 2001, 02:23 PM
I just spoke to Alvin, he ok'ed the New Horizon Diner. The meeting will be May 7th, can Linda finalize the dealings with the diner - please.
I will send out cards to the computer illiterates and e-mail everyone whose address I have. If I don't have your addrss, please e-mail it to me at horsesvr@aol.com. Thenk you very nuch. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 17, 2001, 03:31 PM
Linda-let us know you got that message. If I do not see you on the thread I will call you in the next day or two. I will get the word out to the few without computers that have called me on the phone Mrs. Rice. talk to you guys later.

Linda Prisco
Apr. 17, 2001, 03:55 PM
Mrs. Rice, I did finalize the date with the diner, but I thought the meeting was May 8th, Tuesday, that's what we said at the last meeting. That's the date I gave the diner. Monday May 7th is a wine and cheese thingy in the Hamptons at Dennis Suskinds house in reference to the Hampton Classic.
Please let me know what's up /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Linda Prisco
Apr. 17, 2001, 03:59 PM
I told the diner that you needed the first Monday in June to hold your meetings. No meetings in July and August, after that the first Monday of every month. Just this May meeting I thought was going to be on Tuesday nite.
Gold Dust, let me know whats happening....Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 17, 2001, 04:06 PM
Yes it will be on tuesday the 8th Linda! Now, now Mrs. Rice, hope you did not start writing out those cards yet /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Hey-on that note,anyone going to that wine and cheese thingy? I think they may be serving bread bowls /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Thanks for doing all the leg work with the diner Linda. I may have to recruit you on the dinner dance comittee!!!!!! O.k. stop laughing at me!

Linda Prisco
Apr. 17, 2001, 04:51 PM
Yeah, who is going????? How come I got an invite? What about you Gold Dust, are you going???? I hope so!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Linda Prisco
Apr. 17, 2001, 04:54 PM
For some reason I don't think they will be serving bread bowls at the Suskind residence. Sounds like a Brie cheese nite. Bread Bowls would be too MESSY for most folks, especially when all the Chili is gone! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 17, 2001, 05:24 PM
Would not miss that for the world so I guess I will see you there Linda. Of course my better half does not want to go so if I can not talk him into going I may have to bring PONYPULR as my escort!!!!!
Now, of course it shall be me to start up the taboo conversation but here goes. Has anyone heard about the website? I would really like to know who has been showing this winter. Laura-if you are out there have you heard from Michael at all? Being we had such a bad winter I was not at many of the shows yet and the site would help me to see what divisions went and who has been going for their perspective division. Have there been any LIHSAA jumpers, low hunter Am. been filling, sh. st. hunters or how about the pre-childrens hunters? Like I have stated in prior posts,the site is great for many other things besides tabulating points.

wendy2
Apr. 17, 2001, 06:59 PM
Hello there Gold Dust, I've have been lurking for a few days and felt I needed to say HI. I see the meeting is at the diner on Tuesday May 8 at 7:30. Hope there is as big a turn out as the last one.

PONYPULR
Apr. 18, 2001, 07:30 AM
So what is this Suskind party all about?

Linda Prisco
Apr. 18, 2001, 08:37 AM
Could you believe they want QUALITY input from the Long Island Trainers.
They want to bring us up to date on changes regarding the shows schedule for 2001. Also to discuss the stabling issues and caps on entries in the Childrens and adult hunters and jumpers.
Should be VERY interesting, dont ya think????
/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 18, 2001, 12:58 PM
It's about time you popped in wendy2!! Joining the ranks of the lurkers are we!!?
The Susskind shindig should be entertaining to say the least. Input from us....yeah like they will even consider any input we would like to add. The card should of said 'politically correct only to attend'

judge426
Apr. 18, 2001, 02:42 PM
I'm reading all this and you all have me hysterical! I can't believe how much is going on with the LIPHA! My question: It's been quite the many years since I've ridden, but want to get back. (Looking for a horse) and want to get back showing. Can anyone come to these meetings? Or do you have to be a member and how do I become a member? Thank you!!!

GinnyRice
Apr. 18, 2001, 03:00 PM
Ok - hopefully we're all on the same page now. The meeting will be the 8th - Tuesday, at the New Horizon Diner.
New people are more than welcome. It's a crazy group as you can pobably tell, but do come. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 18, 2001, 03:03 PM
Glad we had you laughing! Sometimes its time to get to work and other times just have to find the humor in it!!! Are you a bread bowl fan also?
Do not need to be a member to attend the meetings. Stop on in to the next one at the new diner[without bread bowls].
Hauppague.........hmmmm...... my hometown....

ponders who ths could be ??????????????

Linda Prisco
Apr. 18, 2001, 04:51 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm.... Well Gold Dust, Hauppauge, my hometown too.....any idea who this could be??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Hey Janet, do you know? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 19, 2001, 06:07 AM
Got your e-mail and we will see you at the meeting! In your spare time go back in the old pages and look for the thread HEY L.I.'s. it is about a proposed rule change that started this whole thing. It may take you a while to find it but it will get you updated befor the meeting. E-mail me if you have any problems. By the time you find that thread it may be close to Christmas LOL! I think we had way over 100 posts on that one! Anyone out there have any idea where it is?
Recieved an e-mail from Tony Hitchcock with directions to David Suskinds house guys. hmmmm... I wonder if we really can have a say on local day if we had a suggestion!!?

PONYPULR
Apr. 19, 2001, 06:14 AM
He/she/it e-mailed me with the same inquiry and I was reluctant to respond to an unidentified person. But Dear Judge/New Person- come to our meeting, so we at least can find out who you are!!

Actually any new faces and voices are appreciated, by me, if not the rest of the group!

Thanks Linda, for the diner search. I think this will be a better location for the Easterners.

And as far as the Suskind thing- Input on the horse show itself, or Local Day?? I have only one item of input- Local Day should be tried on Saturday, in the hopes that the traffic that night would be better. The rest of the show is focused on anything but LONG ISLAND, and will always stay that way.

Linda Prisco
Apr. 19, 2001, 06:26 AM
Janet, I think they mean input on the entire show. Not that their going to listen to anything we have to say. The Hampton Classic has always catered to everyone else, last on the list are the Long Islanders. Gold Dust, if you have those directions maybe you could e-mail them to me. I haven't gotten any directions yet. Maybe their hoping I wont come. My e-mail is Growzy2@optonline.net, Thanks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 19, 2001, 07:06 AM
That would be my exact request- To make local Day a real day for the locals. Do what you want in my opinion during the week but L.D. could use a few changes in my opinion but I would guess my input would mean squat!! Now let's see if gold dust can muster up the nerve to bring that up!

I am e-mailing you the exact letter Linda and Janet with the directions.

M. O'Connor
Apr. 19, 2001, 07:30 AM
I can't speak for the rest of the committee or the other portions of the show, but, I'd appreciate any input you have as far as my own "jurisdiction" which is the Short Stirrup and Leadline divisions (I think things were pretty good last year aside from the unexpeted "World of the Horse" incursions into the SS schooling area at one point!), and the Exhibitor Party (which was VERY lightly attended last year)... I am always open to hearing feedback!

E-mail: MCLeq@aol.com

Gold Dust
Apr. 19, 2001, 08:22 AM
As far as last year goes it was the first year I did not have anyone in Sh.St. so I can only reflect on past years. I do think I heard some people complaining of the move to where the ring was but I can not say to that. I think the one thing I can say about Sh. St. is the grid lock at the ingate. Did that change last year with the move of the ring? If it did then I will gladly take the long walk this year.
Never had anyone in lead line so cann't touch on that.
Refesh me on the day and time of the exhibitors party again. I have gone every year for god knows how long but I think that may have a reason for the decline.

M. O'Connor
Apr. 19, 2001, 08:53 AM
Actually, I found it easier to do the SS/LL kids last year, as the ponies were all on one end of the grounds for once, LL and SS were adjacent to each other--and also the big grandstands at the new jumper ring were pretty sufficient to hold the great crowd of relatives that come to watch the show and it really cut down on the in-gate congestion...the spectators just reached the grandstand first without having to enter the schooling area and sat in it. Nothing can solve the problem of having horses busy in other rings, but at least ponyland is consolidated for the day. And the set-up, where the ring was divided into a flat area and a jumping area really streamlined the classes; the schedule was finished relatively early in the day (can't remember when, but it was 3-4pm or something!) I think the only thing that needed improving was that we'd underestimated the capacity crowd in the grandstand, and that it was hard for trainers to stake a place on the rail during the flat classes--it was distracting to the judge to have them on that side, but there was no other place to stand, really. One concern for just letting trainers stand there on the long side ringside (which for the rest of the show is the actual middle of the Preliminary jumper ring) is that trash, etc, left inside the ring even in the limited space we did ended up using on the side (over the objections of the ring "concierge"), was pretty excessive...Imagine picking up glass from a disgarded soda bottle that ends up being dropped and broken...you get the picture. Not sure how to solve it, but am open to suggeston.

Party has always been Tues evening after the conclusion of the Children's Hunter Classic--we moved the party to the deck at the front of the GPx ring last year...I was wondering if people had gone to the old location and decided we weren't having it (but you could still hear the band from up there...so I don't think that was it!).

Linda Prisco
Apr. 19, 2001, 08:56 AM
Wow, this really has become a sounding board for everything. I think the Hamptons is a trainers nightmare, although last year seemed a little more organized than past years. Last year I didn't have any Short Stirrup riders, but in years past it was always a little nightmare. I agree with Gold Dust, the in-gate is always too congested, too much confusion, not enough space. The Short Stirrrup Divison always seems to have more entries than anyother divison in the show. The classes are always too crowded. I dont know where all those little people come from???
I had adults in the equitation division. That seemed more organized than most years. I was very happy with the new ring they used.
Leadline is another division that seems to be overwhelming! I think it would be great if they could split the Leadliners into Local division. It just always seems TOO BIG!!!!! Wishful thinking I guess. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 19, 2001, 10:14 AM
I guess right after the wine and cheese gathering I will post a new thread with discussion of the after math of that!
As far as the sh. st. division I think you can do something about in gate traffic. Like I said I did not have any last year but do this year so I will let you know how that works for me. Seems like the way you explained it Mary it did keep spectators away. Much of that traffic at the ingate is Moms,Dads, Aunts, Uncles etc...... How about stressing the fact only horses and ponies at least 2 away in the ring are only allowed in the vicinity of the ingate and make that a no if ands or buts about it! Where do all those kids come from Linda-back yards everywhere!!Many of these children come with moms as trainers and new trainers that have never been to a rated show ever and why in gods name they choose that one for the first is beyond me. lol. I guess it would help us to help educate them in ring gate ettiquette[did I spell that right?]

How about running the party later in the week? Adults don't show until the next day and most don't arrive until that morning.I know many adults do local day then don't come back again until wednesday. Just a thought but I would have no idea on that!

brilyntrip
Apr. 19, 2001, 11:17 AM
after sun of hamptonn classic last yr I emailed tony hitchcock congratulating him on a better less inSANE LOCAL DAY.GUESS WHAT HE EMAILED ME BACK SAYING THANK YOU.
HERE IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT I SAID
ALTHOUGH I THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE ASTROKE GETTING TO SHORT STIRRUP RING I LIKED THAT short stirrup and leadline were sort encapsulated .Easier.The getting there was awfuLLL!!!The shiny aluminum van parked at th end of the ring for twenty minutes reflecting stuff blew several kids out .IT should not have been there guys sloppy!!
Judges stand was too low for her to see .Because of positioning and huge numbers in flat classes.
Judge needs to be higher up so can look at whole class .Where the judges box was made it impossible for her to look across ring and make comparisons.
Nazi storm trooper police types are still rude awful and practically run you down The one has got to go.
I want to thank you for makingthings nicer people were generally more polite etc and kinder I didn't get mad once all day!!!
And we all know thats a good thing right

M. O'Connor
Apr. 19, 2001, 01:20 PM
Yeah--it was totally different last year, so all complaints about the old setup down by the train tracks are null and void...I hadn't heard there was a problem with the judge's box...I am making a list...

Gold Dust
Apr. 19, 2001, 02:48 PM
Being you had sh. st. last year you think the move made less traffic at the in-gate? That was my main beef with that but if I have to quite smoking to make the walk with less grid lock at the in gate I will! [who am I kidding-time to bring the bike again!!!]

PONYPULR
Apr. 20, 2001, 05:15 AM
I'm wondering how someone gets invited to this hoedown. Bob got no invite- I wonder who else didn't get invited.....

Since I don't go to that show, and don't plan on going, and am not a 'fessional, I can understand why I didn't receive one. But they should ask all the trainers who do attend regularly. Humm....

Gold Dust
Apr. 20, 2001, 05:51 AM
I can not believe Bobby did not recieve an invite. Sometimes I just do not understand these things by invitation that always wind up backfiring!. All or none should be invited. This did seem to cause problems with a certain show last year so you think people would learn from a thing like that!

M. O'Connor
Apr. 20, 2001, 06:37 AM
The Hampton Classic is a big, unwieldy organization. Think of it as a big company, not a horse show. Having been involved with the HC since the beginning, I have been there all along and seen it change form a small, home-town sort of set-up (remember the little old ladies around every corner?) to a huge corporate undertaking that has had a huge effect not just on the local economy out here but on the whole sport. Some of the effects have been very positive (visibility in the media, spectator base, corporate sponsorship, standards of competition, etc), some (the loss of the home-town feeling) are sad (but really, the little old ladies themselves are gone...they were old 25 yrs ago--they would all be in their 90's or 100's if they were still with us--the home town itself just isn't what it used to be), and some (the sense of exclusion) are, in my opinion, very regrettable. The fact that the LI contingent has been asked to be a part of the discussion with this now gigantic entity is a positive thing; keep in mind that decisions by such a huge enterprise sometimes take a long time to consider and implement and that while there are strong personalities at the helm (there would have to be to get anything done) that the agenda that has to be tackled each year even to stage the show is incredibly immense...I believe it isn't in anyone's interest to speculate about the purpose of the May 7th meeting beyond what has been commented on already by the show management (no, I don't know any more about it than anyone else). I would bet that anyone with questions would be able to get an answer to them if they called or e-mailed the show (e-mail being the better bet--they are very cyber-oriented these days in a positive way as far as efficiency goes). Including questions about why/why not someone was on/off a list (I would bet it has something to do with zip codes and definitely unreleated to anything personal--all the lists there are completely computerized). Please come, and most importantly, leave negative feelings behind and keep an open mind. The benefits of participation in any process usually outweigh the negatives of not being involved at all.

GinnyRice
Apr. 20, 2001, 08:55 AM
I know who the "new voice" is, if you all give me you e-mail addresses I'll tell you

Gold Dust
Apr. 20, 2001, 09:47 AM
I think you may be taking this wrong. I do not believe there are any negative feelings. I think the one question may be, that, some did not recieve a letter and may be wondering why. You hit the nail on the head when you said lack of home town feeling. I just think if it is going to be called 'Local Day' I for one would like to see it for the local people. Believe me when I say I know I am the first one to step up with my opinions but I also do know when to keep this mouth of mine shut!!! Because the letter stated and I quote 'to meet with all our Suffolk County trainers so that we can be sure thet we get in-depth,quality input from our home-town partners' I would love to think that they would actually want to hear what we think when it comes to local day but with this show we all know to just go with it. I for one am going to listen to hear what they have to say and that is all. I think it is great they have taken the first step to actually begin to inform us. Yes this is the first time and mailing list may not be updated for all the local trainers yet. But- the local day talk you hear on this thread has been a major discussion amomg many for years. No one, I believe has any negative feelings just thoughts on how they would like to see local day!

Modern day of computers is allowing groups of people to put their thoughts down and people that would not generally be heard can now be heard. Hey- I was able to voice my opinion to you with sh. st. and the exh. party. May not change a thing but you were able to hear them and I think it is a great step!

M. O'Connor
Apr. 20, 2001, 11:32 AM
<<Mary--I think you may be taking this wrong. I do not believe there are any negative feelings.>>

I didn't say there were any! I just said the HC is big and huge, the home-town feeling is not what it used to be, and changes take a while to implement. All except for some...Exhib party will be Friday this year! I always want to hear LL and SS feedback...stop up there this year and let me know what you think!

Gold Dust
Apr. 20, 2001, 05:00 PM
Talk about everyone getting the wrong impression here! Now i think we are on the same page. I just thought for a minute there you thought I was ready for battle!!!!!!! as my kids would say-NOT!!!!

M. O'Connor
Apr. 20, 2001, 07:59 PM
Lay down your swords!

PONYPULR
Apr. 21, 2001, 05:53 AM
I have not gone to many horse shows off of the Island. So I don't have much to compare the Hampton Classic to. I did get to Upperville and Devon a few years ago, and although fully attended by the "posh", they both had a hometown flavor that the Hampton show lacks.

I understand that the show is enormous, and involves exhibitors from all over the country. But it is held on Long Island, one should not feel as though they are in Oz when they go to the show.

Gold Dust
Apr. 21, 2001, 06:03 AM
THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!

M. O'Connor
Apr. 21, 2001, 10:04 AM
We'll gather in one of the schooling areas...join hands, click our heels and chant "There's no place like home..." till the Good fairy of the East End appears and with one wave of her (his?) magic wand makes all the "mushroom MacMansions", traffic, etc, all disappear! We'll be transported back in time!

OK, folks...I know you won't let me down....what is it like? how far back did we go? Is Snowman still showing?

brilyntrip
Apr. 23, 2001, 11:22 AM
honestly debbie and Mary if I took the time to email hampton Classic it must've been better!!!Here is a list of what IMHO was good and bad
Good things
After you had a stroke getting from parking lot of KING KULLEN and asked the emt squad for a hit of oxygen you didnt have to leave all day!!!so thats good isn't it???
only problem was that if you had to go back to truck for a number you just started crying!!
Everyone in general from office to ingate was nice much easier going more relaxed I liked that.We all know how I hate confrontations right?(remember I am quite tame unless provoked sorta like a badger in a hole!!!)
schooling area footing was an improvement!!
Bad things
Parking area waas scary!!!
Nazi security guards were still around one of whom I have nicknamed the HITLER of the Hamptons is still lurking around show and is as OBNOXIOUS as ever .This person should not be allowed to interact with the public!
During jumping of short stirrup a six horse van was parked at end of ring ( as your poor terrified lil' riders entered ring the sun reflected off the well kempt aluminum blinding them and causing many refusals)This should not have been allowed to happen .That van should never have stopped there at all!!but there it was for at least twenty minutes!
Judges stand was on ground level bad place for the judge to really see what she needed to see!
as all the lil' darlings go by her right on top of her she can only see a mass of bodies .if riders tried to stay ten feet off rail( my preference ) they cannot be seen due to huge numbers in classes it looked like a mob!If she knew that she pinned one that was stopping and kicking out at all who passed him she 'd die!!!
Mary I have a question for you why can't the show use Mon???There has to be some reason that they never have classes on MON??

M. O'Connor
Apr. 23, 2001, 03:16 PM
Monday.....really a question for management, not committee...maybe one they can answer at the wine and cheese thing if it is put to them...not sure if it may even be a Southampton town thing...?? I honestly don't know.

Gee. No one wants to play time-travel, huh?

Gold Dust
Apr. 23, 2001, 06:15 PM
Here goes the 'oh my god is she kidding' comments as you read this! How about monday still a day of rest but I sure would love to see local day either one day, saturday, or how about local weekend?

stop it guys- I can hear you lol

M. O'Connor
Apr. 23, 2001, 06:29 PM
hmph.

brilyntrip
Apr. 23, 2001, 06:30 PM
So I'd bet that its some smarmy Town of Southampton thing!!

M. O'Connor
Apr. 23, 2001, 06:30 PM
um...doesn't North Fork run through Saturday?

PONYPULR
Apr. 23, 2001, 07:15 PM
Yes, it does, but is Local Day actually rated? I know the conflict would hurt some, but Local Day can afford it, no? The entries get limited that day anyway, don't they?

Questions, questions, questions....

M. O'Connor
Apr. 24, 2001, 03:45 AM
There are so many shows that time of year, and w/North Fork being right on top of Local Day...we barely have time to wash the saddle pads and clean the tack as it is!

Not to mentioon making the beds, emptying the dishwasher and feeding the dogs!

Gold Dust
Apr. 24, 2001, 05:13 AM
Great comment Janet. Is it really rated? I would just like to see local day just that, the heck with rated or not. I would just like to be able to offer ALL of my clients a chance to show at a show with that atmosphere!
Dreams, dreams, dreams!!!
Does the north fork also run against Jimmys wednesday show? Double whammy anyone lol!!
I know ,I know-befor you say it.............

brilyntrip
Apr. 24, 2001, 06:17 AM
the last two weeks of Aug I can barely handle feeding my kids .Any reference to making beds doing laundry et al makes me feel way to guilty puleeeeez stop !POINT ME thats all I ask!!!

Gold Dust
Apr. 24, 2001, 07:31 AM
Forgot to get back to you on that on!

Snowman:
Please don't make me go there!!!!! but I can tell you his exact location at this moment and we all know it surely is not going aginst the whistle! All joking aside well missed by Harry and thought of often in this family

Oh and
RUN TOTO RUN [forgot to post that one earlier]

M. O'Connor
Apr. 24, 2001, 08:01 AM
It was a pleasant surprise to have him pull into the tent and set up in the stalls directly across from ours in Ocala this winter--He seemed genuinely delighted that both my girls were riding, and they were very impressed with him! He made quite a big deal about Cornelia's winning ride in the Children's Hunter Ponies; she was feeling ten feet tall!

Gold Dust
Apr. 24, 2001, 01:05 PM
That Harry! He seems to be everywhere lately. Cann't keep him in one place. Sometimes I think he is going to outlive all of us. I already cann't keep up with him.

judge426
Apr. 24, 2001, 02:27 PM
I loved grooming for Harry. He was so good to me. It was a real thrill working for him and taking care of Crown. I miss him. You guys still have me hysterical.

Gold Dust
Apr. 24, 2001, 03:51 PM
Could you repeat that please!! Not the way I am used to people responding to having worked for him! LOL

Laura Reed
Apr. 24, 2001, 05:21 PM
About the next LI PHA meeting: Hopefully, you've received your prize list in the mail by now and/or picked one up at Salt River this past weekend. Prize lists are also in several tack shops.

Point is: the prize list acknowledges every division/class/trophy/cooler sponsor we had as of the last PHA meeting. If you have not fulfilled your sponsorship committment (i.e., not sent your check), please try to take care of that at the next meeting. (Read: bring checkbook) Thanks very much to all the generous sponsors who are helping to make this year's LI PHA a great success.

judge426
Apr. 24, 2001, 07:21 PM
It's true. Harry deLeyer. He treated me wonderfully (is that a word?) I really enjoyed working for him. I miss him.

csmpony
Apr. 24, 2001, 07:53 PM
I know this is a little off the subject, but does anyone know when the LIHSAA website is going to be updated?????? I was so glad to see that we finally got it back, and now it hasn't been updated since March 15th. We're almost five whole months into the new season and there are still no standings. Anyone?

Gold Dust
Apr. 25, 2001, 06:14 AM
Judge-Come and visit Harry this year at the Hamptons. He comes every year. Usually gets here on monday and stays the week. Look for him by East End Stables stalls.
Laura-Have not recieved prize list yet. Will check my mail later. How did we do with the remainder of the sponsorships? I bet you're glad its out and done!
New pony person-The question of the year. Whoever can get an answer to that has super human powers! I have asked it and no one seems to want to answer me. People,remember back in the day when there were no computers? You will know what place you finished at the dinner dance so make sure you attend!
Really now- is there anyone out there who can answer that question? I e-mailed Michael quite a while ago asking about the thread on the site and other things and he has not gotten back to me yet. I am the first one to admit life can take over and you can get busy but just let us know what is happening please. If the web-site is discontinued that is fine just let us know and life goes on. This is where the present system of the LIHSAA gets me frustrated. ALL comittee members should be able to answer this question and can any of you? Is this still a working system or not?
Oh jeeeesus you got me started again, look out.....

Linda Prisco
Apr. 25, 2001, 06:26 AM
If you go to that web page, down at the VERY bottom it bleeps across that the results of only 4 shows since Dec. are in. When there are 6 show results then they will be posted. That's how I understood it. Check it out......
Laura I have not received a prize list either. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

brilyntrip
Apr. 25, 2001, 06:31 AM
I have given up looking at web site .I know there are more than 6 shows sent to powers that be .What ever the reason for its lack of activity I don't care any more .

Gold Dust
Apr. 25, 2001, 09:32 AM
O.k. guys. this thread has one to many talks going on for me right now. I am going to start a thread with a talk on the up and coming gathering and suggestions, dreams,chit chat or whatever for the Hampton Classic. This thread was started as a discussion of the outcome of the last PHA meeting so we should stay with that on this one and keep the Hamptons going on another one! Look for it and lets keep that one going too!

I shall return on comments with the web site later.

Gold Dust
Apr. 25, 2001, 09:49 AM
Linda:
He has way more then 4 shows now! I think he is just way to busy now but at least let us know. No problem with that here!
Karin:
Don't give up on me now!!!!!!!

Linda Prisco
Apr. 25, 2001, 10:28 AM
I see Gold Dust, I guess we just patiently wait then........Will he be at the next PHA meeting...maybe we can get an answer then.???????????????????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 25, 2001, 10:39 AM
Once again, I will have much to say on this matter at the PHA meeting. I think he just needs to tell us whatever problem there is and we are understanding people. If he is to busy right now, fine, but how about one of the comittee members letting us know. I am sure one of them has been in contact with him by now. This is where I think the merge and comittee makeover will be a great help to all.

PONYPULR
Apr. 25, 2001, 10:52 AM
I'd heard that he was involved with running Gold Coast. This could easily take over one's life. Does he need help with the points or should/would someone take over the point sec'y reins....??

And he promised pictures of last year's winners on the website!! If he can't get to it, I hope he returns the photos, at least!!!

GinnyRice
Apr. 25, 2001, 11:57 AM
I spoke to Carolyn Vincent yesterday. Many,many people are upset over the web site. She said whe wuld try to check into it. Alot of people have offerd to keep the points if he doesn't want to
but he should le t us know. It is five monthsinto the new horse show season and four shows are listed?????? Some of the exhibitors know that the results have been sent, so that's not a valid excuse. et's ring it oALvin's attentin at he meeting, if not before

Gold Dust
Apr. 25, 2001, 12:08 PM
How much you wanna bet Alvin already knows and is dreading this whole meeting!!! I promise, we will get all other matters discussed first,expecially the horse show for that is the most important issue since that is right around the corner but then I go in for the kill!!!

Just a joke Alvin.........you can get up now [lol]

M. O'Connor
Apr. 25, 2001, 02:24 PM
Well--just so I can keep variety in my life and because Carolyn asked me to...I have agreed to be a starter at the PHA show (well, actually she asked Neil, but he's not available, so I said I'd do it)...now, don't you guys rough me up too much!

Laura Reed
Apr. 25, 2001, 03:58 PM
I spoke with Mike over the weekend at the Salt River show and mentioned that the points needed to be up on the website. He has been very busy with some other things, but he does have more results now and promised to get point standings up asap. I am sure the points will be updated and on the site before the next LI PHA meeting, if not before this weekend.

On the LI PHA prize lists: you should have received one by now. Although I did not mail them, my understanding is that they were in the mail last week. I will bring some with me to the Rice Farms Spring Show this Sunday, April 29th.

Jane
Apr. 25, 2001, 06:09 PM
Something for those who use Netscape.....

I've noticed since the LIHSAA site's been running "again".....it doesn't work with Netscape; the "title" of the page does come up on the top bar, but the actual page itself remains blank. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

At first I thought the site was still "out", since I use Netscape primarily, and I never used to have a problem. Then after noticing others not seem to have a problem, I tried retrieving the page via MS Internet Explorer as well as AOL Browser, and both worked fine....not current, but it's there. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

csmpony
Apr. 25, 2001, 06:40 PM
Boy, I guess I stirred things up a little. Thanks for the info on points though- or what you could give me anyway. And I have a question about the PHA meetings: anyone one can go right? Just want to make sure.

Hey Linda! Guess who?
I'll give you one clue- I love my pony /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif !!!!

Linda Prisco
Apr. 25, 2001, 08:23 PM
Lets see now, could it be Cosmo???????? I bet it is........
You should come to the next meeting, giddy up on down to the New Diner! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Gold Dust
Apr. 26, 2001, 04:32 AM
Now at least we know that he has been busy. It's just a matter of keeping us updated. I know he has had alot of things going on right now and I do worry when the season is really in full swing if he will still have the time to take on this huge job that most of us would have a very hard time doing!

csmpony
Apr. 26, 2001, 05:13 AM
I knew you'd figure it out! I will definetly come to the next meeting. I missed the last one because I was away, but I really am interested as to what is going on in the horse show world since I'm involved in it.
As for the points, if Mike is too busy maybe there is someone else who has the time to do it.

Linda Prisco
Apr. 26, 2001, 06:39 AM
It wasn't too hard to figure out...... You should definetly come to the next meeting, Tuesday May 8th. The meetings are good, you stay up to snuff on whats happening or not, and because you are involved in showing you should know what's going on. New voices and faces are Welcome!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M. O'Connor
Apr. 26, 2001, 07:14 AM
Q. Is the position of web administrator for the LIHSAA website a paid position, as I believe I have seen written here on one of these threads?

If so, should we not expect that whoever is paid to do this job give it the attention it needs? Or get someone else?

PONYPULR
Apr. 26, 2001, 02:34 PM
Ya got the right idea there, Mary, but the job did not attract too many interested parties when Michael was kind enough to take it on. And he was EXTREMELY accomodating initially. But, yes, he does get paid, what- I don't know. I may have been told at one time, but don't know now. And I believe the LIHSAA pays him, not the PHA.

judge426
Apr. 26, 2001, 02:43 PM
As pathetic as it sounds, when is the Hampton Classic? I'm so outdated on horse shows or horse anything, it's sad. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

M. O'Connor
Apr. 26, 2001, 02:52 PM
This year's show will be Sunday, August 26th -Sunday, September 2

For more information, and to get your name on the mailing list go toThe Hampton Classic Web site (http://www.hamptonclassic.com)

Gold Dust
Apr. 26, 2001, 06:32 PM
What about actually hiring a non horse person or slash computer geek to take this on? If Michael finds he is just too busy[and totally understandable]we may have to look at those resourses.

don't tar and feather me all at once! be kind....

brilyntrip
Apr. 26, 2001, 09:00 PM
If you remember the last time we talked like this things got very ugly!I am not gonna say a word !!!I suggest that if you want to see points you better put a zipper in it!!!That is one reason why I don't look anymore nor do I care much any more

Gold Dust
Apr. 27, 2001, 06:01 AM
You are correct, it did get ugly but I feel for no reason. In my opinion point tabulation is a huge job which can take up a huge amount of time year round. No one here is trying to get ugly. On the contrary we are trying to be very understanding to the amount of time needed to put into it. I myself work with others on the dinner dance and for about 2 months out of the year it consumes my day to day life! Points would be an undertaking I could not possibly even begin to tackle. We are just trying to say we feel for him and there is no need to put yourself in overdrive for this job. That is why I said how about a non horse person.

PONYPULR
Apr. 27, 2001, 09:31 AM
Whoever does do the job, whether it be Michael or a replacement, gets paid. Probably not enough, but it is a paid position. So there is a responsibility that now goes along with it- To get the job done in a timely fashion.

I should think that by now there are several shows "in house". But right now only Michael knows that for sure.

The website was a TERRIFIC thing and Michael did a great job. I hope that it can continue to be a major source of info for LI horse show-ers.

PONYPULR
Apr. 30, 2001, 09:20 AM
I had a very nice chat with Michael this weekend at Rice Farms Show. He sounds very busy with the barn, but is also aware that everyone is getting antsy about the points. So perhaps this week. He also was quite adamant that he needed no help, it would only confuse things.

Gold Dust
Apr. 30, 2001, 10:48 AM
Hey Janet, glad to see you spoke to Michael. He still wants to do it and says he needs no help and thats all we needed to know! No kidding he is busy with the farm!
Well, how was the show? I heard it was big and Marty said Jimmy did a great job once again. Hope to be out next week. Sand is coming today for the ring[pray for me] Would of stopped by to say hello to everyone but my new dog came Sat. afternoon so I stayed home with her instead. A new 130 lb. newfoundland. Saddle goes on tomorrow, she needs to earn her keep! lol

PONYPULR
May. 1, 2001, 10:10 AM
Gold Dust

Tabitha did a lot to the place this winter. They took a lot of sand out of the schooling ring, but it still is stinky, I think. They put sprinklers in the hunter and down the middle of the big ring- still dusty by PM. And they made the children's ring bigger I think. They are really trying and working on it.

I had a good time, but missed the Head of my Support Group. Got to see Miss Laura in her riding attire for the first time- VERY snappy!! She looked great!!

It looked big, maybe 160. Everything looked nice and rode comfortably. As usual!! Jimmy and his group do a wonderful job!!

Gold Dust
May. 1, 2001, 05:58 PM
I was so mad to miss the show and yes, did they chear you on with enough of our classic woo woos!!! And I missed your debut Laura. sorry I was not there to chear you on also!!! With the drought we are having the Yaphank fire dept could not have supplied enough water!!! Will be at hunters Isle for sure this Sunday! Always look forward to a show run by Jimmy!
Did you see the orange thread yet Janet?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Laura Reed
May. 1, 2001, 06:34 PM
It's great to see some focus on standards and also great to see some recognition for continued efforts made by Jimmy & crew.

Yes, it was getting dusty by the end of the day, yes, footing in the schooling ring isn't perfect, and yes, J.Rice and the entire horse show & operations crew at Yaphank facility are obviously continuing to make every effort to improve an already pretty good venue!

It was so much FUN to wear the exhibitor's cap for the first time in a long time, instead of the steward's cap! And major THANKS to the above posters and lurkers (I know who you are!) for your sweet words. Meant a lot and Helped A LOT! I was a bit nervous.

brilyntrip
May. 2, 2001, 06:24 AM
She wore green ladies and gents!! all muted greens and was a vision!!!!!!!
Best of all she got two prizes!!!!with about 20 in her division!! CONGRATS LAURA you are da bomb!

Gold Dust
May. 2, 2001, 06:56 AM
Ribbons,out of 20,first show,YOU GO GIRL! Is everyone going to be at Hunters Isle this weekend? Hope to see everyone!

brilyntrip
May. 2, 2001, 12:28 PM
i am away judging!!So you gys keep the flame goingOK?

PONYPULR
May. 2, 2001, 05:31 PM
The ORANGE flame, Karin??!!

Gold Dust
May. 2, 2001, 06:58 PM
OH MY GOD JANET, I HAVE FALLLEN OFF MY COMPUTER CHAIR AND CANN'T GET UP LOL LOL

csmpony
May. 3, 2001, 06:13 AM
I turned on my computer this morning, and like every morning went to the LIHSAA website not expecting any change. To my surprise, I found it updated! Thank you, thank you, thank you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

brilyntrip
May. 3, 2001, 11:31 AM
am pimp !!!! but didnt fall off my chair hahahahaha

judge426
May. 3, 2001, 05:15 PM
I haven't the faintest idea what you're all talking about, but you're hysterical!!

M. O'Connor
May. 3, 2001, 06:33 PM
"Hi" and sorry I missed "De Debut" of "Da Bomb!" Glad it went well!!

Hey, I think Karin has just come up with a screen name for Laura!

brilyntrip
May. 4, 2001, 03:52 AM
BTW judge ... you will have to look back at previous posts concerning melindas mistake turning entire board ORANGE to understand!!

M. O'Connor
May. 4, 2001, 03:58 AM
But Erin saved us, bless her!

Gold Dust
May. 4, 2001, 08:43 AM
Glad to see the website is back up. Since I haven't been able to get to the shows yet at least I feel I am back in the loop again to see who has been showing over the winter! Thanks again Michael and see you all this weekend!

And by the way-The Ring Is Finally Finished! so look out, I'm baaaack!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Jane
May. 4, 2001, 10:04 PM
Congrats on the ring, it must be a huge relief! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, are you holding on to your 1st ed. Anne Rice books? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gold Dust
May. 5, 2001, 08:30 AM
Thanks Jane. It feels good to be back to work.

When Marty told me you were a reader of Anne Rice I was way too happy. Saving all my first additions! Can not wait to chat about this. Still trying to get Marty to take her New Orleans tour with me and he will not budge an inch!!!

Jane
May. 5, 2001, 07:17 PM
Somehow I have a real hard time picturing him doing the tour, ROTF! Especially after hearing my very brief description of my time down there. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

To make this horse related <eg>, the AR thing came up when I explained to him how my other gelding ended up with his barn name as well as show name.

Gold Dust
May. 6, 2001, 12:52 PM
I bet we could find some big A rated show near New Orleans and tell him you can go to the show and we could go do the tour!! Anyone know of a good show near New Orleans?

Gold Dust
May. 8, 2001, 04:27 AM
Hey PONYPULR, we up for dinner befor the meeting and anyone else who would like to join in for some grubb!? If so, I'll be there no later then 7:00. Talk to you later!

brilyntrip
May. 8, 2001, 08:19 PM
I would like to say that I am so disgusted by the Lihsaa board that I literally want to throw my hands up in the air.How can you change rules without a proceedure.How can you dictate to people who have no representation ?I am beginning to believe that someone has been taking stupid pills or something.DOn't they get it ?

PONYPULR
May. 9, 2001, 06:46 AM
The open meetings will be a great start. During the summer there are no PHA meetings so now we can focus on the LIHSAA problems. And the idea of adding a trainer or two to the High Score committee is a good way to improve communication between LIHSAA and the masses.