PDA

View Full Version : Fly Control ... What do you do?

PinkMartini
Apr. 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
I know if I get this mare, that I am going to have to deal with flies, and mosquitoes.

Instead of just a fly mask, I was thinking of getting her both a fly mask and a fly sheet.

Fly Spray ... I've got 3 brand new bottles.

Other than that, what do you do to help with the flies/mosquitoes? Traps? Misting System?

No matter what way you look at it, FL = Mosquitoes & Flies. :sigh:

Chief2
Apr. 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
I deal with them with or without the horse. Hate bugs.
Mine are on herd turnout so no flysheets. I use TriTech daily. On the guy who is out at night and in by day, I use tritech, and SWAT (blue can) under the eyes, from the knees/hocks to the hooves, in the stifle area and underneath in the sheath area daily. For the guy who is out by day and in by night, he gets a flymask, tritech and SWAT. Once he goes out at night (is fat so must limit the grass) he goes on horse #1's routine.

I also spray the stall walls and the window frames with a 1:1:1 mix of PineSol (no substitutes here), white vinegar and water once a week. Smells nice and keeps the flies out. I hang a fly tape in the corner, clean the mats with PineSol each summer and use Sweet PDZ both under the mats and on top to kill the ammonia smell in the stall so the flies will stay away. I hate bugs. :(

Ambitious Kate
Apr. 19, 2012, 06:20 PM
I've never heard of Tritech - what is it and where do you get it?

BasqueMom
Apr. 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
fly predators and spray. Spray them in the field away from where I put the
predators.

Cindyg
Apr. 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
Mine are on Smart Bug Off and Equitrol. Smart Bug Off is supposed to make horses not tasty to the biting insects. Equitrol keeps the flies from breeding in manure.

I also use Equi Spot On, which is an every-two-week topical application.

I also use a homemade natural formula every day. I couldn't find the fund-raising recipe that is often posted on COTH, but this thread (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216848&highlight=fly+spray) had several recipes.

And I have traps out where they hang out.

Biting insects are miserable where I live.

carolprudm
Apr. 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
Mine are on Smart Bug Off and Equitrol. Smart Bug Off is supposed to make horses not tasty to the biting insects. Equitrol keeps the flies from breeding in manure.

I also use Equi Spot On, which is an every-two-week topical application.

I also use a homemade natural formula every day. I couldn't find the fund-raising recipe that is often posted on COTH, but this thread (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216848&highlight=fly+spray) had several recipes.

And I have traps out where they hang out.

Biting insects are miserable where I live.

I believe the fly spray fundraiser was from Thomas_1 who is banned

ThisTooShallPass
May. 9, 2012, 11:19 AM
Milk Jug fly traps. Love these things. Inexpensive.

Tractor Supply carries them. As do many horse catalogs. Also can get them on Amazon.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/-2210651

Wow, they say a gallon jug will catch over 35,000 flies! I know there are a ton of flies in there, but I have never thought about the actual head count in real numbers. Wonder what poor sucker had the odorous job of counting?

ReSomething
May. 9, 2012, 11:50 AM
Captivator traps, work great but if you can find the milk jug parts they are more cost effective. We also use flypaper and both horses go out with fly masks. The old guy gets a misting about every other day with Absorbine fly spray or TSC's Horse and Pony. Manure wise, pick it up and compost it regularly. I don't advocate spreading because any worm eggs in the feces get spread too.

Mav7057
May. 9, 2012, 01:29 PM
We have used a lot of the methods already mentioned: fly sprays, predators, milk jug captivator traps. We are fortunate to have a lot of natural fly predators in our area, barn swallows, wrens and bats for mosquitoes. It would be worth inquiring how to attract natural predators to your area as well. Here's an article that might be of interest to you also:
http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/fly-control-battle-plan/

Aggie4Bar
May. 9, 2012, 02:37 PM
2012 is the year of the fly. :dead:

I've used fly predators for the past few years. Last year was awful though, so I took the advice of a friend and put everyone on Solitude. And this year is worse! We have fewer flies overall, but the ones we have BITE. To my comfort, however, same friend is having fly issues this year whereas her barn was compeltely fly free last year.

Quick Bayt is brilliant for immediate kill, but you have to keep putting it out. It more/less melts in humidity. It will also stain concrete and whatever else it happens to melt to.

Aside from feeding Solitude, liberal application of Piranha and fly masks are providing relief to the horses. I've spritzed myself a couple times when the bombers were out and everything else with six legs and wings seemed to be in a blood-sucking mood. Some of those little flies are vicious!

rodawn
May. 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
Has anyone tried braiding an insecticide tag (for cattle) into the forelock? Do those work? Would they be safe for a pregnant mare?

My horses are going INSANE with biting midges going up their nose. Kicking their own muzzles with their forefeet. I'm thinking of preventing broken teeth and bleeding noses....

Trevelyan96
May. 9, 2012, 06:26 PM
Fly predators.
Fly sheets.
Traps.
Country Vet spray in barn.
Pick up manure in paddocks daily.

So far, flys have been minimal

I used to use the feed through fly control and it seemed to do nada.

ThisTooShallPass
May. 9, 2012, 06:36 PM
Has anyone tried braiding an insecticide tag (for cattle) into the forelock? Do those work? Would they be safe for a pregnant mare?

OMG SERIOUSLY?!!! Is it labeled for equine use? If NOT, then do NOT use it on equines. A horse is NOT a cow!

Read labels. Call company if you cannot comprehend label.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

rodawn
May. 9, 2012, 08:33 PM
No need to freak out. It has the same ingredients as most fly sprays (at least the one I'm looking at). It's just in a tag. The difference is most people SPRAY it on. This just hangs out with the tag. It comes in a bit of a stronger dose because it is not applied directly to the body and works by wafting the "perfume" around as opposed to possible absorption through the skin. All fly sprays are insecticides. I want to know if "wafting through the air" around their head is going to be at least effective as spraying directly and if anyone has tried it and what their results were.

And by the way, MOST fly sprays are not recommended as safe for pregnant mares. I'm looking for a way to control flies/bugs where the applicant is not applied directly TO the horse.

I have a LOT of horses. I would go through a bottle of fly spray a day.

ThisTooShallPass
May. 9, 2012, 09:13 PM
I DO cattle. You have no clue how many thousand head I have ran annually. I highly doubt you can tell me jack about anything to do with cattle. In fact by your posts I know you can't.

Do share what cattle ear tag is listed safe for horses on its label.

Oh, & if you have so many horses that you cannot afford a bottle of fly spray a day, then maybe you cannot afford so many horses.

Excuse me for having been concerned for your horses!

trubandloki
May. 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
Fly predators.
Biting fly trap.

Good manure management.

cowboymom
May. 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
Permectrin on buildings, grounds and critters.

SherlocksPonies
May. 10, 2012, 01:02 PM
Good manure management techniques, fly spray and diatomaceous earth...the diatomaceous earth is safe for the horses if they ingest any at all (actually works like a wormer) or any other animals around the barn, and it really takes down the fly population if used correctly. Frankly it's a mix of these things that works overall for us.

rodawn
May. 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
I DO cattle. You have no clue how many thousand head I have ran annually. I highly doubt you can tell me jack about anything to do with cattle. In fact by your posts I know you can't.

:lol: Don't have any, don't ever intend to. Nor was I trying to tell you anything about cattle.

Oh, & if you have so many horses that you cannot afford a bottle of fly spray a day, then maybe you cannot afford so many horses.

Easily can afford the horses I have. With plenty of room to spare. Thank you for caring.

Good manure management techniques, fly spray and diatomaceous earth...the diatomaceous earth is safe for the horses if they ingest any at all (actually works like a wormer) or any other animals around the barn, and it really takes down the fly population if used correctly. Frankly it's a mix of these things that works overall for us.

I agree, good manure management is really numero uno for most flies and parasite control. Although nothing seems to work for the tiny nose-midges which are startling painful when they bite, so no wonder the horses kick their noses with their front feet.

The mosquito population around our area is really out of control. Too many ponds, slews, etc. Last year, finally, the county sprayed and it was an enormous relief. I hope they do it again this year. By far, the thing that drives our horses the most crazy are the mosquitos which are incessant in early morning and evening hours. By 5 PM the horses are constantly on the move and already covered in hives and welts. When you're trying to settle mares in foal, this is not a good thing. They can't stay in a stall 24 hours a day, so between the midges that send them stampeding during the day and mosquitoe swarms driving them insane at night, without some sort of pesticide around there is little relief.

I had 2 horses react with very severe allergic reactions last year, the year before a mare reacted with anaphylaxis, struggling to breathe. We had just come home and found her down and called the vet. That time vet noted he had had several similar cases and overall he said the hive reactions from a lot of clients' horses to the masses of mosquitoes was very severe. Ever since, I don't hesitate to inject antihistamine and banamine if the hives seem more severe than is reasonable.

Smudge pots don't seem to be very effective. And citronella, why even bother? The mosquitoes are totally unconcerned about citronella. Peppermint was helpful for a while, but effect wears off quickly. I tried a rosemary-citronella-marigold-peppermint spray (made locally) which was purported as being "wonderful" for mosquito control - nada. All one can do is keep searching for a solution.

hollynanne
May. 11, 2012, 12:01 AM
They make bands for horses necks and legs (similar to the cow tag idea- which isn't an idea I hate, I'd just be concerned about the concentration burning off hair, possibly).
http://www.sstack.com/get-ready-for-summer_fly-bug-solutions/fly-armor-poll-band-2-pads/

Some tack sites are now also carrying a flymask with some sort of fly repellent included.
http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_fly-sheets-sun-protection_fly-masks/vaporshield-extended-nose-fly-mask-with-ears-and-pockets/

Good luck! We're moving this fall from Washington back to Florida. Oh my flies!
(insert puking dead smiley here...)

ponygirl
May. 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
I use this: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/maxforce-granular-fly-bait-p-163.html

I also use the milk jugs but the maxforce fly bait absolutely rocks.

Fancy That
May. 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
religiously! I think it helps. We don't have a bad fly problem at our ranch and I will continue the Fly Predators. it's been 3 years now :)

and yes, I do use Fly Spray liberally. The stuff that works, is unfortunately, the manufactured stuff (with chemicals) like Tri Tech and Endure.

But I use a homemade version that is nearly ZILCH in cost sometimes. It just doesn't work that well.

Also use War Paint and SWAT on belly buttons, midlines and sheath area.

Lastly - we use fly masks on everyone, and one sensitive mare with white legs gets fly boots in front. For some reason, she tends to get bitten and they draw blood on her lower legs. Noone else gets that. So she gets the fly boots.