PDA

View Full Version : Horses on Long Island (NY) in the 70's

Pages : [1] 2

Giddyup2
Jun. 20, 2000, 12:23 PM
The recent topic "Ponies of the 70's" started me to think of the horses who were showing on LI during the 70's.

I have a bad memory but I remember a few horses back then; Lancer's Jewel, Peppermint Patty, Dutch Clown, Double Dutch (the Delayer's horses), Smoke Run had a few (I remember a big chestnut with lots of white) but many were killed in a fire.

Does anyone remember other horses who were on the LI circut in the mid 70's? And what about their riders/owners?

Giddyup2
Jun. 20, 2000, 12:23 PM
The recent topic "Ponies of the 70's" started me to think of the horses who were showing on LI during the 70's.

I have a bad memory but I remember a few horses back then; Lancer's Jewel, Peppermint Patty, Dutch Clown, Double Dutch (the Delayer's horses), Smoke Run had a few (I remember a big chestnut with lots of white) but many were killed in a fire.

Does anyone remember other horses who were on the LI circut in the mid 70's? And what about their riders/owners?

speedracer
Jun. 20, 2000, 02:24 PM
Yikes--I've been trying to think of horse names ever since I read this a little while ago. I can't believe what a bad memory I have. The only horses that are leaping to my mind are Dutch Design, first a hunter then an eq horse, and No Fair, a big black hunter. How is it possible that I'm drawing such a blank? Jeez--I don't think I'm that old...

I remember a few L.I. rider names of the 70s--how about the Bendettos? Or Patrick Rice? Remember when Victor Hugo-Vidal was on LI? How about Amy Jo Davidson? Jackie Bittner? Hugh Cassidy (really a trainer/horse show organizer rather than a rider)? Bobby Ginsburg? As you already mentioned, the Deleyers (not just Harry but the sons and the daughter as well).

What about some of the old stand-by LI horse shows? L.V.I.S. in the Hamptons. The shows at the Toppings with the wonderful outside course (remember the endless pony classes?). Smithtown Hunt at Oldfield. St. James. The awfully dusty one-day shows at Middle Island. The lovely Nassau-Suffolk Horsemen's Association shows at Comstock Park on Lloyd's Neck.

You've dragged up some nice memories from the inner recesses of my mind--now I just wish I could remember names and faces. Oh well...

Meshach
Jun. 20, 2000, 02:55 PM
Although some of these might be from the 80's (I'm 31) but yes, names from the past, Patrick Rice, Hugh Cassidy (he had Old Field Farm right?, The Country Horse Show??). I used to pass Rice Farms on the way to my barn. I kept my horse at Melody Farms in Huntington, trained with Mare Lanahan, who was an event trainer which I started to do in high school.

Two of my friends rode with Robert Hoskins at Gold Coast. Now one of them recently started again and rides with Michael Zuckerman at the same barn at Gold Coast where Robert used to be, I think when he was little he rode at Thomases on Round Swamp Rd. where another friend kept her horse.

Showed at Stony Hill, the farm at C.W. Post, forgot the name. I think also Old Westbury (was that the one that had a stone arch at the entrance?).

Diana DeRosa and her sister, forgot her name, were they well known? I rode at their barn when I was *really* little, first learning to ride.

I think I was spoiled growing up in LI, the horsie scene is just not the same in Raleigh, NC. I remember in the summer a show every weekend and sometimes on Wednesday too.

[This message has been edited by Meshach (edited 06-20-2000).]

brilyntrip
Jun. 20, 2000, 04:12 PM
This is so nice !! I live and trainon long island now and it' s so very nice to hear about people who are still very active .The Rice family is still active Patrick is now at Sag Pond Farmin Bridgehampton,Harriet Deleyer is training with her husband John also in Bridgehampton,The Rices Jimmy and his mom wonderful Ginny are running probably the most succesful shows on Long Island at the Yaphank facility,Bobby Ginsberg is running a shows in Southampton.Jackie is now a Steward and married an is now Jackie Martin!!

ccoronios
Jun. 20, 2000, 05:57 PM
I'm a decade before... Heike had just passed Santa on to the next in line; Ann ? rode at Rices' - horse - Billy Budd; Patty Auricchio, who's still there, judging; Jane Pflug - had the most wonderful AO hunter...
Thomas School's "Junior Olympics"....
Jericho's "X-rated" (adults only) Friday night winter shows....

You're right about LI being a different world!

speedracer
Jun. 20, 2000, 06:59 PM
Patty Auricho! Wow, I loved her as a judge. I won my first Maclay class when she was judging. And she loved my first horse. Ccoronios--Thanks so much for that wonderful memory...

And the Thomas School shows--what a blast.

haligator
Jun. 20, 2000, 10:27 PM
Hi All,
Wow - such memories! I grew up on LI and showed in the 1970s. Now I'm a judge....and judged at the Stirrup Cup Horse Show this past Saturday. Ginny Rice was secretary, Jimmy Rice was manager, and Jackie Martin was steward. Ralph Caristo stopped by, and Joyce Prezbowski was there - same great people from 30 years ago!

Does anybody remember Trudy Cohen riding Stitch N' Time in the Amatuers in the 1970s? Well, Trudy lives in New Hampshire now (her husband Bernie used to own The Saddle Shop on Jericho Tunrpike). Well, if you can believe, Stitch N' Time is STILL ALIVE! He's retired on their farm, and he is an old, old horse, but he still gives the farrier a hard time!

How about the whole Little Plains Stable crew? Remember when Neal Shapiro showed jumpers there in the 1960s? Joan Krogman now lives outside of Wellington....many of her old school horses are still alive.

Remember the great AHRC show at CW Post? The huge Grand Prix classes with Rodney Jenkins and a young Michael Matz?

I rode with Nancy Peters at Ketchum Pony Farm, Lee Krantz (now Connelly), Sheila Rodgers, and Robert Hoskins. Marge Smith taught me to ride side-saddle - remember her string of great side-saddle horses?

I rode my own Dr. Doolittle, and a bunch of horses for other people....Anne Dula's Moonwar was a horse I'll never forget! When he was good, he was unbeatable....when he was in a mood, whew! I can remember showing him at Stonyhill and just careening over the jumps.

Thanks for the chance to talk about those great days.

Hallie McEvoy

Royal Blue
Jun. 20, 2000, 11:35 PM
Oh wow, memories. Haligator my sister & I rode at Ketchum's but it was the real early 80's. I also rode at the Benedetto's Stony Hill back then. My sister kept her horse at Ketchum's though. Once again thanks for the memories.

Kryswyn
Jun. 21, 2000, 01:53 AM
Sigh! Showing & riding on Long Island in the 70's. I grew up riding all over Old Westbury, Brookville, Old Brookville. I HACKED to every show I ever went to except once when I hitched a ride to Melody Farms. The HUGE outside course @ Post, where every name in the bizz came, which doubled as the Grand Prix ring. Late 60's horse, Capella, owned by Tuck LaFavers whose 2nd wife was Laurie Confort. Jackie Bittner is Jackie Martin?? ExMFH of Smithtown? Am I confused? Jericho School of Horsemanship, with what was the largest indoor ring on the east coast at the time. I was definitely spoiled growing up there during that time, even though my horse was not a bay TB and was not competive outside the C shows.

Lil
Jun. 21, 2000, 08:20 AM
Do you remember Fair Judy? Sarah Hochschwender from Tampa rode her and got the sm jr championship at Harrisburg (or reserve) and the Garden, I think. Sarah rode for years with Ronnie Mutch before going out on her own.

Meshach
Jun. 21, 2000, 09:15 AM
haligator - I briefly rode with Marge Smith also! I guess when I was around nine or ten. Also when I first moved to Melody I rode with Leslie Woodworth who was also a judge.

Forgot about the Junior Olympics at Thomases. Remember showing there in the winter in that teeny tiny indoor? I can remember hacking over to Thomases. There were sooo many trails in that area, you could ride for hours.

And I loved The Saddle Shop and do remember Bernie. I couldn't believe when I went back to visit after moving and it was closed. I still have my phase IV, ride in it every day. AND I still fit into my custom chaps that I got there for my 17th birthday. whoo hoo! I think Debbie Marino who used to work there lives in Tryon NC now.

[This message has been edited by Meshach (edited 06-21-2000).]

Giddyup2
Jun. 21, 2000, 09:56 AM
OHMYGOSH! Ketchem's Pony Farm?! I started there as a kid! I rode there until....about.....1972. When Nancy Peters left LI she started a horse retirment facility called Horse Heaven in NC. Wonder if she and Richie are still there.

Haligator - I may have met you......you were riding at Ketchums and you had an English accent - or or parents did. It was kindof a joke because we have similar first names.

Marge Smith?! I bought my first horse from her....around 1972/73. I remember she taought a little at the farm (now gone) in Eaton's Neck.

Lee Krantz? Small, very proper, wealthy background type of woman? Didn't she teach with the Wilson Tech School? I think I rode with her during the school year.

Mare Lanahan - I think she's a year younger than me - she rode/did sales at Stony Hill.

The Cohens! I loved to go to The Saddle Shop - Bernie was so nice. I still have the Vogals and custom chaps I got there when I was about 16! I heard they lived in Gorham, NH. Barry (something) who worked there, last I knew he had a shoe repair/saddle repair place in East Northport. Didn't Neil Greenburg work there for a while too?

James Benedetto - didn't he switch to dressage? Anyone remember when Stony Hill was owned by the Hustlers (sp?) and before that the Potters? (It was a scary place then).

Janet Hein - isn't she still out in Holtsville? Didn't she remarry?

Hugh Cassidy - yes he did own Oldfield - nice shows there but always so hot. It was sad to hear about his death. Robert Hoskins too - he was such a stylish rider and person.
I thought Skip Lounenger (sp?) owned/ran Gold Coast. He was a nice guy too.

Patrick Rice and the Delayer boys - they are a couple/few years older and I remember gawking at them from a distance. I thought they were sooooo cool and I was sooooo shy. Didn't Chris Hickey hang out with them too?

Thomas School - we were bused over from Wilson Tech; I used to ride Bombay, Triscut, and Sandy. Their shows were always nice and the Junior Olympics were so much fun there!

Dee Muma? I cleaned her barn a few times at her parents house in Northport! She had a little QH stallion and his son at the time.

Joyce Prezbowski - does she still have Hidden Lake?

The Svaboata (sp?) family? Two sisters who rode with Hugh Cassidy. Anyone remember them?

Melody Farm! I used to hack a couple of horses there - a little mare named Daisy and a chestnut gelding (Sivara sp?) who ran with the Smithtown Hunt. What happend to Teddy Brinkman?

Anyone remember the young man who's family owned Hello Farm? I rode against him a lot and was always so jealous of his beautiful Imperatore van!

Oh - this is so much fun!

[This message has been edited by Giddyup2 (edited 06-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Giddyup2 (edited 06-21-2000).]

Royal Blue
Jun. 21, 2000, 10:09 AM
James is still riding H/J. I just saw him this year riding @ WEF & there was a photo of him on the Towerheads website after one of the jumper classes at Ox Ridge.

Meshach
Jun. 21, 2000, 10:56 AM
Yes, I think Skip did own/ran Gold Coast but Robert had a barn or section within it that he ran. My friend that rode with Robert is Joann Garcia (maiden name), awesome awesome rider.

Thomass - the name Bombay sounds familiar. My friend's horse was in the barn with a horse named Cold Duck. That name stuck in my mind for some reason. Before my friend bought her horse, she rode a pony there name Tatum and then a horse named Sunny.

Mare was at Stony Hill before I trained with her and I think she went back there sometime after I moved.

I moved my horse from Melody in August of '87 to NC. Shortly after I left, Ted Brinkman (the father) sold the barn to Joan Bosch. Now, I think years after that , she sold it back to Ted Jr. (the son) who had lived in Florida. BUT I went back a couple of years ago and I *think* he doesn't own it now but I could be wrong. Boy do I feel old. When I went back to visit the only name I recognized on the stall doors was Arno Wolfe. The place looks the same except the pastures where they used to turn out the polo ponies are individual paddocks now.

Giddyup2 - Was Daisy a brown and white paint horse? And the same owner who had Daisy owned the chestnut gelding who was a little hot? He used to get kinda excited when he'd go up the hill near the indoor back to the barn?

haligator
Jun. 21, 2000, 11:33 AM
Hi All,
Wow - more memories! Trudy and Bernie Cohen moved to Grantham, NH (not Gorham). They have a lovely place there.

Ah, yes, the indoor arena at Thomas' - showing there in the winter was INSANE! I used to call it the refrigerator circuit. Remeber the ramp that came down into the arena from the outside? Remember the holding area that was ten degrees colder than it was outside?

Joyce Prezbowski now has a nice place called Touch N' Go Farm in Bellport.

Jackie Fisher became Jackie Martin - she's still one of the classiest people I know.

Ahh, the Thomas School horses - Bombay, Brandy, Cold Duck.....I went to Wilson Tech there in 1977 with Lee Krantz and Ted Landers as teachers. The Thomas barn crew was then Vic, Ken Inglima, Adam Glatt, Eddie Horowitz, etc. In 1977, we all went to see Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden - the farewell tour. Boy, does that date me or what?

And the horses at Ketchum Pony Farm - Mare, Babar, Cavalier, Doobie, Mr. Chips....Leslie Wilson the photographer boarded there then.

Stonyhill - James Bennedetto rides jumpers still - he just placed in the Garden State Grand Prix. And yes, I do remember the Hutzlers (spelling?) who owned Stonyhill prior to the Bennedettos. I bought my first horse there (Dr. Doolittle) from Mare Lenahan.

Brinkmans at Melody Farm - worked there a winter - I think young Ted is in Florida now.

Remember when Dr. Arthur Fredericks was Master of the Smithtown Hunt? He must have been in his 80s and could still ride better than most of the other members.

And dear Robert Hoskins - what a loss! We need him now in this industry to bring a strong dose of realism and compassion.

And finally, nope, I don't have an English accent....now have a cross between a LI and Vermont accent.

If anyone wants to e-mail me, my address is in the profile. Would love to hear more memories!

Hallie McEvoy (formerly Hertwig)

Giddyup2
Jun. 21, 2000, 01:52 PM
Geez looeez!

I was at the Wilson Tech in 1976! Yes - Lee Krantz and Ted Landers! There was another guy when I was there but can't remember his name.

Babar! Mare! Doobie! I leased Babar for a summer. I took Doobie to my very first show! Leslie Wilson! She and her mother bought Doobie from Ketchums, right?

Daisy was a small plain bay TB mare who Blair always said would make a good polo pony. The owner also had a another mare named Lovin whom she kept somewhere else. Other horses at Melody - Tosca, Foxy, a palamino trick horse, Jonteau (sp?), etc.. I rode for a short time there around 1982-83.

Arthur Fredricks! What a hoot he was. My vet went to Cornell with Dick Fredricks and remembers him well.

I don't remember Dr. Doolittle. Do you remember a horse Dudley Doright (not from Stony Hill)?

Wow - this is tooooo much!!!

Meshach
Jun. 21, 2000, 02:11 PM
ok, I must be thinking of another daisy. I remember riding Blair's old polo pony, Pete. You must have been there right before me, I think I got there around spring of '84. Blair used to take all of us to the shows, to go get lunch, etc. I lived at the barn! Tosca sounds familiar and I definately remember the lady with the trick palimino. Fred and Freddie Grossman were probably there when you were. I remember they used to hunt.

Dudley Doright, that name sounds sooo familiar. was there a write up in the chronicle earlier 80's by the owner when he passed away (the horse I mean). or am I thinking of another dudley.

Eddie Horowitz is still up in LI isn't he?

ccoronios
Jun. 21, 2000, 03:27 PM
Oh, lord...Thomas' winter shows... We went there one weekend - would have not, but by the time trainer and I woke up (in separate beds), the man who hauled the horse would have already left, so it was too late to cancel. Snowing.... kept snowing.... Jumper classes in afternoon - damn near froze to death changing into breeches & boots in the truck...Walter gave me special dispensation to leave on my t-neck, sweater and ski parka. Rode in 2 of 3 classes....still snowing... decided to scratch last class and get out while we could (had my mom's Subaru? and had parked facing downhill). Couldn't drive anywhere again until Wednesday. Thomas' had something like 20 guest horses and even more people (thank heaven for summer camp leftovers...)

haligator
Jun. 21, 2000, 07:06 PM
Hi Again,
Marge Smith had a black horse (with lots of white chrome on him) named Dudley Doright - he was a blast!

Wow - yeah - Blair's polo ponies at Melody - one was Pete, the other was ? anybody remember? He was a buckskin - I learned to play polo on him.

The other teacher with Ted Landers and Lee Krantz at Wilson Tech was John Messenio, I think.

I well remember the palomino trick horse at Melody and his owner. She was a neat lady! The Grossmans (Fred and Freddie) now board in Yaphank with Sheila Rodgers at Good Shepherd Farm. Pattie Aurrichio boards her horses there, too.

Anybody remember Ruthie Barnes and Rally, her horse?. She was about 90 years-old but said she was 70. She hunted with the Smithtown Hunt. She always talked about being in vaudeville in her younger years.

Okay, a question now for all of you, if we can reminisce about the 1970s does that makes us old (or maybe aged)?

Hallie McEvoy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

brilyntrip
Jun. 21, 2000, 10:24 PM
well Janet is now Plympton and remarried she runs VERY successful unrated circuit shows called Country Fair,oops Jackie Martin was Fisher,JOyce has Touch'n'Go Farms .It was very nice to see Halie judging last weekend at Stirrup Cup she was sooo nice to my 5 yr old daughter in her first walk trot class!

Kryswyn
Jun. 21, 2000, 10:58 PM
Was the Tosca at Melody Farms a young chestnut WB mare? Belonging to a woman named Margaret? If so she's still there, she's my best friend. Melody went through major changes, turnout is almost non-existant. Heavy emphsis on polo.

Anyone remember Eileen Nardiello, who, it was rumored, buried her beloved horse in its HERMES saddle and also rumored, that someone dug UP? Robert Hoskins (when very young) showing up just a <little> too bright eyed @ the Nardiello's barn @ 4:00 am and saying, "Isn't it a BEAUTIFUL DAY!" to which Mr. Nardiello replied, "Robert...It's still DARK OUT!"

Bernie & Barry at the Saddle Shop. When I got my first car I drove there EVERY WEEK (because I could!) Barry is still at his own shop in Northport and his wife breeds, shows, trains Jack Russell Terriers (nice ones). He measured me for my 1st chaps (still have 'em!)

Ann Yohai at Old Mill Farms. School horses @ Jericho: Chocolate Pudding, Ulysses, Thisby, Donegal.

I moved to Virginia from Hawaii because it reminded me of LI back then. Who shows up: Chris Hickey, Elizabeth French, and most recently, Skip Lauinger bought the back barn & indoor at Culpeper's Commonwealth Park! Egads! I'm back on the Island!

Where was Ketchem's Pony Farm, and was it the setting for the Paul Brown book "Pony Farm"?

Giddyup2
Jun. 22, 2000, 09:17 AM
Haligator - I don't consider myself old but maybe I am!! At 42 I'm still throwing bales, mucking, fencing, zooming around on the tractor, etc.. I'm hoping to hit my peak at 55!!!!

Ketchums is (it's still there, I think) in Northport - on Bread & Cheese Hollow Rd (great road name, eh?), off 25A heading towards Kings Park. Lots of fond memories from there. Remember the shetland pony stallion Earl?

So glad to hear about Janet Plympton - when I knew her she was going through some tough times (and we felt the brunt of it!). If anyone bumps into her tell her H.C. sends her best.

The Saddle Shop's Phase IV saddle was the "it" saddle when I was on LI - you just HAD to have one. My friend got one but I opted for the Hartley Apollo (which I still have but never use = tooo flat!). Barry was always so nice - and us girls always flirted with him.

Tosca was a plainish bay gelding owned and ridden by a nice woman who was always in a rush.

Arno was the name of the guy whose horse I hacked!!! He hunted with the Smithtown Hunt on the chestnut I rode.

The lady who owned the palamino trick horse was very different - very nice. I remember her telling us all about her trip to England on the Concord with her very wealthy sugar daddy! She was cool.

The Dudley Doright I rode was owned by Janet Hein (now Plympton) who was a big chestnut TB/Belgin cross. Huge head, huge feet, kindest heart of any horse I've known. Whatta saint.

Anyone remember the Ventura's (sp?) - John and.....he married......I can see her but can't remember her name.

OH!!! How about Joey Collora (sp?) - the farrier - the infamous farrier who lived in Manorville. What has happened to him?

What about Marty (I think) Barbara - another farrier.

Oh this is fun - I honestly didn't think there would be anyone out in cyberworld who would know or even care about this stuff. You folks are awesome!

Meshach
Jun. 22, 2000, 11:20 AM
Dudley Dooright *was* the horse I was thinking of, I used to ride him in my lessons with Marge. Funny, I can picture him perfectly now, he was black with chrome.

I can't remember blair's other polo pony. There was another guy there who had a string of polo ponies, an older man who was really nice. I remember he had two that I thought were really pretty, a bay named christina and a gray named heather.

Ok, do you remember a girl named Tracy? When I first moved there, she had a bay horse who hurt himself then she had a gray horse named Country. I can't remember her last name. I know my friend would love to get in touch with her,she was closer to her than I was.
Tracy moved to Colorado and they lost touch.

There was another girl there Heather, I leased her horse Willie once when I was between horses.

Ruth Barnes, that name sounds *very* familiar.

Do you remember that older lady Thelma and her horse Happy. She was kind of a cranky woman, didn't like my mare very much because the mare would make mean faces at anyone who went by her stall. This was the barn that was managed by Judy.

Arno's chestnut was Ten. I thought he was just gorgeous. I groomed for him at a hunt once.

Joey was my farrier! He was engaged to a british woman wasn't he? She had long blonde hair. My vet was Dr.Shettel.

You guys are making me homesick!!!

[This message has been edited by Meshach (edited 06-22-2000).]

ccoronios
Jun. 22, 2000, 12:53 PM
oh my word - this is more fun than ice cream! (speaking of which, they handed out freebies of High(?) Peaks in the Plaza yesterday - it really is pretty good!)....
Eileen Nardiello - I have to check, but I think she was one of Walter's students.
Anyone remember Park Stables? Not one of the fancies, as it was really a hack barn, but Walter turned out some pretty tough competitors! I have to laugh when I see articles about these NEW REALLY NEAT "bubble buildings" - we had one as an indoor (you thought Thomas' was small???) in the late 60s! (Pelham just put up one for a hockey rink and thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread - my brother had to deflate their bubble - they had NOT invented the wheel.) Our horses would go through anything once they got used to the air-sealing overhead doors in an elevator- sized compartment....
Ask Patty A. if she still sleeps in her hunt boots......
Please don't stop - these are too good....

Meshach
Jun. 22, 2000, 01:01 PM
yes, park stables sounds familiar. kinda like west hills stables where they'd do the rental thing?

Speaking of fancy, was it caumset (sp.?) that was in the movie Arthur? The barn that was *really* fancy and old inside with brass and brick in the main barn?

After marge smith and before I moved to melody, I rode at Mrs.D's. They used to be near thomas's then it was bought and developed.

Kryswyn
Jun. 22, 2000, 02:29 PM
omygod Walter! Yes! Eileen was his student! I'd forgotten how I met him, my first upclose experience w/ an *alternate* lifestyle. He was a kick - ended up trailering me and my horse down to Virginia Intermont in 1977. We rode all the way down (13 hours)in his drop-top Caddy pulling a 2-horse. One of those moments in your life that Hollywood turns into "coming of age" movies. Walter's buddy Brian?? who everyone thought must've been an early AIDs case, but was really an even earlier Lyme Disease case. Please don't stop. Weren't those twin boys on black ponies? Was it Vincent Sava of Hello Farms? His two junior hunters Secret Weapon (grey) and Northern Spy or Spy something (chestnut) I envied him so much from the back of my stocky buckskin QH....

[This message has been edited by Kryswyn (edited 06-22-2000).]

Giddyup2
Jun. 23, 2000, 09:05 AM
Yes! Vincent Sava - that's who it was! I rode against him a few times in Juniors - he always the best of everything - I was so jealous!

Virginia Intermont! I headed down to Averett College in Danville, VA in 1976! My very best friend went to Southern Seminary in Buena Vista, VA. A person I rode with in Averett is now doing hunters/juniors, etc, in NC = Tony Albertson. Anyone know him? Another fellow rider from Averett is in the mid west (I think) - Steve Weiss (sp?). Boy, he was so good looking in college we used to call him "beautiful Steve!!!!"

Park Stables - if that's the place in Bethpage (or nearby) I hacked a little bay mare there named "Tish" for a short while. It was next to or near a golf course, right? Orrrrrr.....there was another horse renting stable - a fairly new barn (at that time) - full of straight stalls, sort of in a wooded area. Oh boy, is my little brain working hard!

Anyone know what happened to Hank (something) who held on to the original Glen View Stables (along with two others who bought the business) after Ralph and Holly Caristo went to Hauppauge? He eventually moved it the Brookville/Norwich/Muttontown area and then I moved away. He was such a nice guy and I had a terrible crush on him!!!

The two young boys with matching ponies - they were definately gray Farnley ponies - I'll never forget those two - or four.

Anyone remember Jan Warner (I think that was her name) - what a wild woman. We used to stand back and watch her with our jaws on the ground!

Yes! - Arno had a horse named Ten but he had that horse either before or after he had Sarava (I think). Sarava (I think that was the horses name), bowed his tendon shortly after I left Melody.

There was a really nice pretty blond girl (was her name Kristin?) at Melody who had a black horse with four white socks and a blaze or stripe. Her mother (and family) owned the 5&10 in Northport. She was so nice - was always hanging out with her boyfriend at Melody.

Anyone remember the Trueb (sp?) from Ketchums? They had a wonderful gray gelding named Decade. Glen and Laura were the kids names. Nice family. How about Sally Wilson? She had Bubbling Leo and Chocolate Pudding.

Geez, my itty bitty brain is on overload!!

Giddyup2
Jun. 23, 2000, 09:18 AM
OOHHHH!!! How about Cherry Meadows? In East Northport? Don Sachey had that gorgeous horse Dark Clipper. I have assumed that the Don Sachey (now in CA) occassionally featured/mentioned/referred to in Practical Horseman is one in the same.

haligator
Jun. 23, 2000, 08:51 PM
Hi All,
Oh, Wow! Mrs. D's....I had my first riding lessons there before I switched to Ketchum Pony Farm. There's now a housing development where Mrs. D's was - I think they call it Equestrian Estates....but of course there are no horses there. Remember riding around the potato field at Mrs. D's? It's funny, I'm at the Bayer/Festival of Champions and I saw Diana DeRosa today - daughter of Mrs. D.

Ahh, Cherry Meadow! Yes, the Don Sachey in Practical Horseman is the same Don Sachey from Cherry Meadow. I saw him last year at Rolex and chatted with him about Cherry Meadows. He has very happy memories of his time on Long Island.

This has just been the best thread - thank you to everyone for sharing such great memories and including me.

Kryswyn
Jun. 23, 2000, 09:36 PM
Wasn't Jan Warner somehow connected to the Mars Candy fortune? I knew her name, but not her. Was she a junior in the 70's? Why is the name "The Hammer" tied to her name in my overtaxed brain? Other LI's in VA now: Tad Coffin 20 minutes away from me. This is just too much fun!

exyankeerider
Jun. 25, 2000, 10:39 AM
Just joined and found this thread !
I grew up on LI in the 70's also and did you ever stire up some memories!
The "flying Dutchman"s white horse was Snowman, I think, to answer the original posting...
The 2 stable in Bethpage were Park stables and Bethpage Stables..
I did a fair amount of showing at Upper Brookville & CW as well as in Syosset and Old Feild which now is gone I believe. (been down south since '88) I remember a class at Thomas's that had 3 riders jumping at the same time as a team with faults being added to any riders that were forced to over a rail downed by a previous team member - WILD RIDES !!!
There was a barn on Rt 106 just north of hickville which name I can't remember - Old Mill maybe ?*/

Kryswyn
Jun. 25, 2000, 07:20 PM
Yes, the farm north of Hicksville, actually in Jericho was Old Mill Farms. It belonged to the Yohai's. Daughter Ann was the trainer. You can still see it from 106, but I believe its been downsized and may not be a lesson/boarding barn anymore. I got over "butterflies" permanently @ a show there after waiting for 6 hours in the rain for my maiden eq over fences (no stall, no trailer) I was so glad to go in the ring so I could hack home (1 hour to Old Westbury in the dark and rain) that I forgot to be nervous. I left immediately after my round and left my mother to p/u my ribbon. Who did you ride with exyankeerider?

HAC
Jun. 25, 2000, 08:34 PM
What memories, I rode at Fantasy Eq. Center with Marty DeLayer, later with Heike, and than with Erin Lynott. Before I moved to Pa. I rode with Colleen Kelly. I remember Santa, the last time I saw him was at Smoke Run Camp back in '86.

ccoronios
Jun. 26, 2000, 11:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kryswyn:
omygod Walter! Yes! Eileen was his student! I'd forgotten how I met him, my first upclose experience w/ an *alternate* lifestyle. He was a kick - ended up trailering me and my horse down to Virginia Intermont in 1977. We rode all the way down (13 hours)in his drop-top Caddy pulling a 2-horse.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kryswyn - who are you?? Are you sure you're remembering your trip to VI correctly? Or perhaps a different Walter (there isn't really more than ONE, is there??) Walter (Bickmann) was in FL by then...after several years in GA. By the way, he's still in FL - between Tallahassee and Pensacola, still training... But you sure remember his personality right - he's still a kick! (and my best friend/alterego/right arm - and I'm so glad I found him again after over 25 years!!!)

[This message has been edited by ccoronios (edited 06-26-2000).]

ccoronios
Jun. 26, 2000, 11:27 AM
Giddyup - the stable that you rode at was Bethpage Stables (part of the State Park and adjacent to the golf course).. Park Stables was the other one - sort of in the woods.

backinthesaddle
Jun. 26, 2000, 01:51 PM
Wow. This thread sure hit the memory banks.

Does anyone remember Equitation Lodge in Bayport? I rode and went to summer camp there for years. Also, does anyone remember when Bunny French and her sister (MiMi?) showed in the juniors on LI? I think that Bunny had a junior hunter named Setpoint.

Joey Collura is still shoeing horses on Long Island. Also, John Ventura married Merilee Karcher. I think they move South (Virginia)?

I remember Hugh Cassidy's shows at Old Field - unfortunately the place is a shambles now (unless they've plowed it under for a subdivision or something by now).

Thanks for jarring my memory

TBLover
Jun. 27, 2000, 02:17 AM
Here are some more names of horses I remember riding at Thomases: in addition to Sandy and Bombay (both of whom I remember well -- Sandy in particular was one of my favorites -- he was great to ride on the outside course they had), there was also Commodore Perry ("Perry"), a lovely dark bay or brown TB that was one of my true loves, and Champagne, a palomino that was a cute jumper. Also Firefox (? if I remember his name correctly), a tall thin chestnut TB that I could always see a distance on. Also Secret Agent, who I remember as being a biggish chestnut. I originally learned to ride at the "Babylon Riding Academy" (what a misnomer!)so moving to Thomases when I was in high school was a major step up in the world. I went back to Long Island for the first time in many years a few years back and was absolutely shocked to find that the Babylon Riding Academy was still there, still run by the same lady as it was in the late sixties/early seventies. Talk about a blast from the past. Did anybody else here ever ride there?

AHC
Jun. 27, 2000, 11:39 AM
Not from Long Island, but had camp friends who rode there. I remember watching Jan Warner in jumper classes. Another one who was agressive was Mary Troy.

My friends rode with Jerry and Ellen Pasahow. Don't remember the name of the barn. Ellen once gave me a lesson on a jumper named Klondike Kat, a big, skinny chestnut TB who was 17 when I rode him. I was told he'd been a big deal show horse in his day. It was the first and last time I jumped a 4' course.

Another camp friend, Ross Reisner did the Medal-Maclay in the late 70s early 80s. He's now a trainer and still a good friend!

exyankeerider
Jun. 27, 2000, 01:16 PM
Kryswyn
I strated out at Babylon R.A. moved to Old Mill, did some time with the trotters at Roosevelt, got back into it at Parkview over in Central Islip. I logged a lot of rides at several private barns.
I rode my best under Margaret (Roebuck / Pape ?) @ Parkview. Would love to contact her if anyone knows where she is...

[This message has been edited by exyankeerider (edited 06-27-2000).]

ccoronios
Jun. 27, 2000, 03:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by backinthesaddle:
Does anyone remember Equitation Lodge in Bayport? I rode and went to summer camp there for years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first summer job - soph/jr in HS back in the early 60s.... When were you there? Who are you?
I'm leaving for a show in about 2 min. and won't get to check back in until next Monday - but please answer and I'll find the post!

ccoronios
Jun. 27, 2000, 04:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TBLover:
I originally learned to ride at the "Babylon Riding Academy" .... I went back to Long Island for the first time in many years a few years back and was absolutely shocked to find that the Babylon Riding Academy was still there, still run by the same lady as it was in the late sixties/early seventies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I taught there for about a year in '69. Would I remember you? What lady? The man I worked for was Tony ??? maybe??
Again - I'm leaving for a show - but will search for your answer on Monday when I return!

SupaGoo
Jun. 27, 2000, 06:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I originally learned to ride at the "Babylon Riding Academy" (what a misnomer!)so moving to Thomases when I was in high school was a major step up in the world. I went back to Long Island for the first time in many years a few years back and was absolutely shocked to find that the Babylon Riding Academy was still there, still run by the same lady as it was in the late sixties/early seventies. Talk about a blast from the past. Did anybody else here ever ride there?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ride there..well not really anymore since I work somewhere else..but yea Mrs. Russo still runs the place...though her 3 sons do most of the work /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It has changed a lot in the past few years from what it was.

TBLover
Jun. 27, 2000, 08:57 PM
ccoronios: Mrs. Russo is the lady I meant. I started riding at Babylon in the late 60s, when I was a little kid and took lessons through around 1971 there, so I was definitely there during 1969! Anyway, maybe Tony was her husband, although Mrs. Russo was definitely the major presence there. The instructor I most remember was a girl named Lynn with long blond hair and the nicest German shepard; she got married to another of the instructors named Bud (I think?) -- an older guy-- sometime in the early seventies; and ultimately moved first to Bethpage Stable and then Smoke Run I think. I just loved her. There was also another very short older guy -- looked like an x-jockey who also taught there around that time. Don't remember his name. I do remember the horses -- at the time, I didn't appreciate the hard lives they led. But they were all wonderful to me, particularly Venus, Dawn, Once More (a little bay TB that went blind in one eye who was my very first true horse love); a skinny black Thoroughbred named Galaxy/Emanon; Sir (a very large Shire cross); another thoroughbred named Weaver; and so many others that passed through there. It was quite an education riding those horses. There were very few ponies, so even though I was a little bit of kid, I was on all the big guys right from the start. I sure learned how to hang on, and kick, and to ride just about anything with four legs there. Anyway let me know if any of this rings a bell with you!

Carol

Jenna
Jun. 27, 2000, 11:44 PM
Oh wow...ok i'm too young (20) for the seventies discussion but here goes

I'm from LI, i ride w/ Dianne Pagano (she rode during the 70s i believe) but for years and years i rode at TSH...Cold Duck, brandy i'm reading all these names and i'm like omg i know these hroses...Both of those are dead now i believe DUck lived for soooooooooo long man wow....Any TSH people remember Blueberry or was she after u? and yikes...that indoor...TINY lol

Joey is still shoeing on LI, he does the hroses at my barn now...is the farrier marty u are talking about the one who goes to FL every year w/ polo? if so i know who he is too he's still working also

Ketchum homestead...thats where Fletch had a barn for a while right? in northport?

my friend sent me the link to this thread and i found it to be sooo interesting

Kryswyn
Jun. 28, 2000, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE]Or perhaps a different Walter (there isn't really more than ONE, is there??) Walter (Bickmann) was in FL by then...after several years in GA. By the way, he's still in FL - between Tallahassee and Pensacola, still training... But you sure remember his personality right - he's still a kick! (and my best friend/alterego/right arm - and I'm so glad I found him again after over 25 years!!!)

I cannot recall the Walter who drove me to VI's last name, but he was tall and thin, black hair (short - or pulled back into a pony tail?) He also had/rode/trained a Tennessee Walker. He was at Bailey's in Brookville when I met him, had a *friend* named Brian. He also had one of the first Jack Russells I can remember.

From all the references to Thomases, I think a majority of posters here were from Suffolk county. Who else remembers: Gold Coast, Chris Hickey, riding around what is now SUNY@ Old Westbury and BOCES training program?

backinthesaddle
Jun. 28, 2000, 09:18 AM
CCoronius:
I rode at Equitation Lodge in the mid to late 60s and early 70s as a junior. Were you there then? Do you remember any of the horses (Brigadoon, Fair Play, Captain America, Kitty Hawk, Goblin, etc.)? I also kept my horse there after it changed hands in the mid 70s and was called Suffolk Farms.

Giddyup2
Jun. 28, 2000, 10:03 AM
I rode at Thomas's while attending the BOCES Wilson Tech - but rode with Janet Hein (now Plympton) during that time on my first horse. I showed him under the name Duck Soup - a plain little chestnut gelding. I rode Janet's horses too - Peppermint Patty and Dudley Dooright. Does Janet still have The Beach Boy?

Then I headed to VA to Averett College and got into eventing. Moved back to LI for a few years and worked at Pen Mor Farm (TB's) in Muttontown on 25A. It's now a mini mansion development. I think Brookville Stable was very nearby - just off 25A.

Doesn't Diana DeRosa produce a LI Show Scene publication?

Janet
Jun. 28, 2000, 10:24 AM
Do any of you LI types remember a rider named Laurie Peppel (Sp?)? This would be very late 60's into early 70's. I think she rode at Jericho, and I know she went to the high school for the performng arts, playing a musical instrument.

Lily
Jun. 28, 2000, 12:04 PM
This is such a great thread! I'm from Long Island and it's great to read about all these familiar names and places- even though I wasn't around in the 70's! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

exyankeerider
Jun. 28, 2000, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TBLover:
ccoronios: Mrs. Russo is the lady I meant. I started riding at Babylon in the late 60s, when I was a little kid and took lessons through around 1971 there, so I was definitely there during 1969! Anyway, maybe Tony was her husband, although Mrs. Russo was definitely the major presence there. The instructor I most remember was a girl named Lynn with long blond hair and the nicest German shepard; she got married to another of the instructors named Bud (I think?) -- an older guy-- sometime in the early seventies; and ultimately moved first to Bethpage Stable and then Smoke Run I think. I just loved her. There was also another very short older guy -- looked like an x-jockey who also taught there around that time. Don't remember his name. I do remember the horses -- at the time, I didn't appreciate the hard lives they led. But they were all wonderful to me, particularly Venus, Dawn, Once More (a little bay TB that went blind in one eye who was my very first true horse love); a skinny black Thoroughbred named Galaxy/Emanon; Sir (a very large Shire cross); another thoroughbred named Weaver; and so many others that passed through there. It was quite an education riding those horses. There were very few ponies, so even though I was a little bit of kid, I was on all the big guys right from the start. I sure learned how to hang on, and kick, and to ride just about anything with four legs there. Anyway let me know if any of this rings a bell with you!

Carol<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, do I remember those hay burners !
How about a grey named Angel - My first ribbon ! And BUd - I road with him and as a matter of fact he gave me a contact at Roosevelt Raceway to get a job and it turned out to be with Neal Shapiro ! Blew my mind !
I also remember a young lady named Denise as an instructor at Babylon.

Jenna
Jun. 28, 2000, 12:24 PM
backinthesaddle~ Brigadoon was at TSH when i rode there, Gary Farina used to show him right? that horse was awesome even though he was getting old when i rode him

Jenna
Jun. 28, 2000, 12:25 PM
Then I headed to VA to Averett College and got into eventing. Moved back to LI for a few years and worked at Pen Mor Farm (TB's) in Muttontown on 25A.

Theres still a very tiny little barn right by where Pen Mor was...the silver horse is still there but its at the development portion...My trainer is working out of the little barn there right now

backinthesaddle
Jun. 28, 2000, 12:43 PM
Jenna - Brigadoon may very well have been at Thomas School before he was at Equitation Lodge. Bill Thomas' daughter (Linda Bateman) and her (ex)husband Lee owned Equitation Lodge and Briggs was there when I rode there in the late 60s early 70s. He was a big chestnut horse - same one?

Kryswyn
Jun. 28, 2000, 12:51 PM
GiddyUp2- when were you at PenMor!?? Which barn did you work in? Training or Broodmare? I worked there for exactly 2 weeks in Sept of 1980 til I realized my dad had paid too much for me to go to Virginia Intermont to work for $150 a week. I don't remember any of the people except rather hazily. Mostly I remember being bitten & kicked by a broodmare that was going crazy from confinement because her filly had broken her leg and couldn't be allowed out.

dkcbr
Jun. 28, 2000, 01:19 PM
>>>Virginia Intermont! I headed down to Averett College in Danville, VA in 1976! My very best friend went to Southern Seminary in Buena Vista, VA. <<<

GiddyUp2, -- who was your friend at Sem? I went to Sem! May have ridden intercollegiate at Averett. Never rode in N.Y. though... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Giddyup2
Jun. 28, 2000, 02:44 PM
Jenna - yes - that auto-bumper-made flailing horse sculpture is still there - I cruised around the development last fall. Is your trainer in the older barn in the front of the old Pen Mor?

Kryswyn - I worked at Pen Mor for a few months in the training barn - with Skip Peterson, Ted Segal (managers), Tracy Anderson, Loretta Lusteg, and a few others that I can't remember their names (but I can see them clear as day). Remember Clark Toll - who ran the heavy equipment? Jim Ryan - foaling guy/did odds and ends, Joe McClusky - farrier? I was down in the training barn until I had a super bad accident there on the farm. I came back and worked a short time up in the broodmare/breeding barn but I didn't last long (I should have never gone back). I don't remember the broken legged filly. I think I was there around 1981. It was a tough job and I don't have fond memories of the place but I learned a hell-of-a-lot.

Dkcbr - My friend who went to Sem was Tenney Mudge who had a plain bay gelding named Robbie (Highway Robbery). She went on to Cornell. Ring a bell?

Jane
Jun. 29, 2000, 02:36 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kryswyn:
I moved to Virginia from Hawaii because it reminded me of LI back then. Who shows up: Chris Hickey, Elizabeth French, and most recently, Skip Lauinger bought the back barn & indoor at Culpeper's Commonwealth Park! Egads! I'm back on the Island!

So Skip is in VA! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I thought that's where he went, but a few people told me he's in NC a while back. :-/ In any event, those of you who grew up riding on LI probably would be depressed by what's been going on....one by one, barns are being sold, in many cases by builders, and people heading south. :-/ I stopped by Skip's old place (Hunter's Isle) yesterday for the first time since he left, was curious to see what's going on there. His old house is under renovation, the main barn is still there, and the crew told me they think it's staying up. But the lower barn and fencing were all gone, weeds growing over the two stone-dust rings, it's just a giant field now, and I couldn't help but wondered if they'll be building new homes on it. :-(

Jane
Jun. 29, 2000, 02:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Giddyup2:

What about Marty (I think) Barbara - another farrier.

He's still around, he's my ferrier...A GREAT guy (even though I lost a $50 bet to him in May when Fusaichi Pegasus didn't win te Preakness). ;-)

Wait 'till I tell him someone was asking about him on the internet....he's gonna be soooo excited, LOL!

Dually
Jun. 29, 2000, 08:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jane:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kryswyn:

So Skip is in VA! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I thought that's where he went, but a few people told me he's in NC a while back. :-/ In any event, those of you who grew up riding on LI probably would be depressed by what's been going on....one by one, barns are being sold, in many cases by builders, and people heading south. :-/ I stopped by Skip's old place (Hunter's Isle) yesterday for the first time since he left, was curious to see what's going on there. His old house is under renovation, the main barn is still there, and the crew told me they think it's staying up. But the lower barn and fencing were all gone, weeds growing over the two stone-dust rings, it's just a giant field now, and I couldn't help but wondered if they'll be building new homes on it. :-( <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jane. This is elise. Yes Skip and I moved to Va. and love it. It IS sad what is happening on Long Island - all the development of the open land that is left. We tried to sell our farm - Hunter's Isle to someone who wanted to keep it as such, but unfortunatly, real estate prices are too high for most, also most trainers don't want to actually own their farm. A leese is much easier on their pocketbook. The people who bought Hunter's Isle are building a "family compound" of some sort. Our house, the one under renovation was renovated by us before we left. That is to be the family's drivers house. They are building a huge house down where the back barn used to be, and another smaller house some where up top. They are a really nice family though and love the piece of property as much as we did - they just are not into horses!!

dkcbr
Jun. 29, 2000, 01:23 PM
>>>>Dkcbr - My friend who went to Sem was Tenney Mudge who had a plain bay gelding named Robbie (Highway Robbery). She went on to Cornell. Ring a bell?<<<<

Oh yes! I remember both her and her horse!! But I was thinking he had some white on his face. ? What a small world, especially when it's networked via boards!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Fun!

Giddyup2
Jun. 29, 2000, 03:19 PM
dkcbr - You are right, Robbie had a white blaze (not a wide one) and a white sock or two. We used to trail ride and show together on LI. Tenney now lives in Lexington, VA (very near the Equestrian Center) and has a few horses. I'm hoping to go see her this fall. Isn't it amazing how she and Sandra Bullock took alike?

[This message has been edited by Giddyup2 (edited 06-29-2000).]

Giddyup2
Jun. 29, 2000, 03:28 PM
Jane - The last time I saw Marty Barbara was at Old Field (a long time ago! Maybe 1984). He had just come back to work after facial surgery/reconstruction from getting a kicked in the face (eegads). Ask him about that the next time you see him. Yes, he was always such a nice guy.

M. O'Connor
Jun. 29, 2000, 11:22 PM
Wow, the past really is fun to revisit from time to time...my favorite memories include great jumpoffs aboard my jumper, Ampersand, against Patrick Rice with Ali, Bobby Ginsburg with Dutch Wisdom, Jan Warner and her string of jumpers and many others. In the hunter ring, I groomed October Breeze for Rod Lopez, who trained with Robert Hoskins along with the Brennan girls (with their great eq horses: Tradition, Sun City, and Beckett), Lisa Tarnopol, and Steve Weis, while future AHSA Medal winner Jenno Topping was still showing Chantilly Lace in the pony hunters. Others who were memorable were Anne Weiss and James Q, Debbie Dolan with her tiny equitation horse (pony?), Ruby Tuesday, Ross Reisner with his eq horse, String of Pearls (they went 1st in the Maclay finals one year), Hugh Cassidy in his Newmarket boots. Someone mentioned Jan earlier; her jumper Hummer took her to Madison Square Garden in the Open Jumpers when she was just 14 years old--they wouldn't let her complete the Puisance class athere because the FEI rules barred riders that young from jumping so high...the horse was subsequently sold to USET rider Dennis Murphy. Speaking of MSG, who remembers taking the LIRR all the way in to Penn Station each and every one of the seven days of the National Horse show?

Laura Reed
Jun. 30, 2000, 01:29 AM
Sure, I remember. We were probably on the same train once or twice! (STILL a good way to get into The Garden.)

My memories: HACKING to Piping Rock, C.W. Post, Meadowbrook (to show and hunt), Helping Hand and Vixen horse shows to show in the equitation classes or on the huge outside course. Coops, permanent in-and-outs, big aikens, just pick up the right lead and get a pace! Parents would meet us with the station wagon, filled with buckets, grooming boxes, hay nets, picnic lunch...tailgating ring side...

Riding in front of Cora and Ted Cushny, Dr. Henry Chase, Sallie Sexton... Wondering what the $1 drug fee was all about. . . recording a horse ($15?) because you might get an award if you were champion at a few horse shows... Carrying your blue hard cover rule book to the shows because your trainer said it was important to have...watching Tad Coffin go in the green hunters and Neal Shapiro in the jumpers... Mrs. LeibÂ’s (Kats Clark) awesome Automation and Sure Blue. . .drooling over the junior hunters I dreamt about - Good Boy Dee (Gail Hulick), War Dress (Nancy Baroody?), Rivet (Anna Jane White)...reading every word in the Chronicle about the Best Child Rider at Bloomfield Open Hunt (12 year old Katie Monahan on Miltown). Seeing her at the in-gate with Mrs. Sexton, I just knew I was standing near greatness. Thanks for the L.I. in the 70Â’s memories. THOSE were the days.

Kryswyn
Jun. 30, 2000, 01:31 AM
Me Me Me, I do I do! I took a weeks vacation from work and used one of the attorney's boxes. I met some girl who rode w/ Paul Valliere (Dance Away) and she took me 'behind the scenes' Scary warm-up ring!

Hummer, not Hammer. I remember Jan was really young, but wasn't she connected to the Mars candy fortune? And whatever Happened to her? Laurie Confort, I remember showing as a Junior, years later she married Tuck LaFavors, a former next door neighbor. At one point, my other next door neighbor was Paul Vance, who wrote "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow PokaDot Bikini" and whose daughter Paula rode a little.

Does anyone remember the Goldbergs (I think) who had Jericho School of Horsemanship? I was 8-11 when I was there and I remember the horses and the smell of a true tanbark indoor better than the people. Although I Ellie and Dale were my favorite instructors.

brilyntrip
Jun. 30, 2000, 05:04 PM
Dear Laaura , Heres somethingreally funny You remember War Dress with Nanct Baroody as the rider I ( must be MUCH OLDER than YOU)
remember showingagainst War Dress with Charlie Weaver In the winning irons at every show in Va like Upperville,,Maryland Pony,Loudon,Deep Run show ETC ETC ETC That pair won everything!!!!

haligator
Jun. 30, 2000, 07:06 PM
Hey Laura,
Speaking of Cora and Ted Cushny.....just saw them both at the Festival of Champions and at Rolex Kentucky. They are both journalists and photographers now, and cover eventing all over the world. Cora is just the BEST! Gosh, I love her so much - what spunk, what a sense of humor, and such knowledge - I'm always in a bit of awe when I'm around her.

Does anybody remember when Anne Weiss' horse got hit by a taxicab in front of Madison Square Garden right before the Maclay Finals?

Hallie McEvoy

Jenna
Jun. 30, 2000, 08:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by backinthesaddle:
Jenna - Brigadoon may very well have been at Thomas School before he was at Equitation Lodge. Bill Thomas' daughter (Linda Bateman) and her (ex)husband Lee owned Equitation Lodge and Briggs was there when I rode there in the late 60s early 70s. He was a big chestnut horse - same one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no he would have been at TSH after that cause i knew him in the 80s...he was a HUGE chestnut w/ a really lite mane and tail, like "blonde" i guess you'd call it...and yeah i know nancy's siter had equitation lodge like forever ago, i rode at TSH for soooo long lol

Jenna
Jun. 30, 2000, 08:42 PM
[B]Jenna - yes - that auto-bumper-made flailing horse sculpture is still there - I cruised around the development last fall. Is your trainer in the older barn in the front of the old Pen Mor?

Yep thats our barn, its owned by Joe Gentile now, Di is just leasing it from him...its not exactly in great shape but whatever, its our own private barn no more sharing rings and such w/ other barns

Laura Reed
Jun. 30, 2000, 11:58 PM
Brilyntrip - My memory is correct, or isn't it? Am I having a senior moment? War Dress and Nancy Baroody -- I remember seeing them go at Piping, or maybe it was North Shore in the juniors. Any way, now I'm thinking the horse was General C? Or was I right all along? Who had General C?

One last question for tonight: who will be at SUNY Old Westbury this Sat/Sun and the following? Come see me at one of the in-gates this weekend, and I'll be stewarding the next. Let's re-live our 70's-80's-90's memories! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

haligator
Jul. 1, 2000, 06:47 PM
Hi Everybody,
I just received an e-mail from Ginny Rice, and she asked me (Hallie) to post the following for her:

"The Tracy everyone was talking about with the horse Country is Tracy Topping. Jan Warner's horse was Hummer - he was very good - he got into the jump-off in the Garden but they said she was too young to continue by FEI rules - she was 15 at the time - thought that was pretty rotten of them.

The twin boys were Carol Ann McMenomy's Bobby and Danny Ostrov - Danny was killed in a fire but Bobby is in Florida with horses still and so is Carol Ann - in Orlando.

Ann Snyder is the one with Billy Budd, she rode at Rice Farms. And yes, Caumsett was in the movie Arthur."

Ginny Rice

SupaGoo
Jul. 1, 2000, 07:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by haligator:
And yes, Caumsett was in the movie Arthur."

Ginny Rice<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea a bunch a movies & commercials were shot there...i work for the previous owner of Caumsette and they have a book with shots from various movies & commercials in it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Giddyup2
Jul. 3, 2000, 08:54 AM
Wow! What a wealth of information from everyone! This thread has been so much fun.

Haligator - Yes!! Danny and Bobby! They were really pretty good riders but young hellions. Carol was always very nice - but a bit frazzled trying to keep those two boys in line. Who wouldn't be!! Sorry to hear about Danny.

ccoronios
Jul. 3, 2000, 02:03 PM
Anyway let me know if any of this rings a bell with you!Carol<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, my word~ I named Sir (what else would you call...?) And I remember Dawn and Venus. I was the only instructor for the time I was there....I'm a redhead and I had a greyhound (at least, I think I did when I was there). I rode and showed a boarded horse - Bally Bay, owned by John somebody... Do you remember Major? I taught Mano Topau (sp last name?) to ride bareback on him for the movie "A Man Called Horse" - he had been cast as the Sioux chief and had to learn to ride bareback - he'd called every other barn from NYC out and no one would teach him bareback - I had a real challenge getting Tony and Mrs. R. to agree!
Your comment about not realizing the hard life the horses had is so true. Some of the bozos who came out to ride were pretty awful. I know that it took many years - and several scary experiences - to appreciate the horses that I'd learned on (and the instructors!)..
Did you come by yourself or did you ride with the Catholic school that came out weekly?
What a blast this thread is!!! What are you doing now?

ccoronios
Jul. 3, 2000, 02:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SupaGoo18:
I ride there..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you ride there in the 60s - 70s? Did you live in Wantagh then? So did I! Who are you? (I'm Carol Coronios - really original username.... my mom taught English at the HS)

ccoronios
Jul. 3, 2000, 02:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kryswyn:
[QUOTE]Or perhaps a different Walter ....

I cannot recall the Walter who drove me to VI's last name, but he was tall and thin, black hair (short - or pulled back into a pony tail?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely a different Walter....
Isn't this thread the most fun!!!

ccoronios
Jul. 3, 2000, 02:17 PM
CCoronius:
I rode at Equitation Lodge in the mid to late 60s and early 70s as a junior. Were you there then? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I worked at the summer camp when Joan Johnson ran it - early 60s, so I guess I predated you. I believe it was only a summer camp then - and Thomas' kid(s) took it over after that..

Kryswyn
Jul. 3, 2000, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE][/B]Originally posted by haligator:
Does anybody remember when Anne Weiss' horse got hit by a taxicab in front of Madison Square Garden right before the Maclay Finals?

Apparently NOT, Hallie, so its up to you! What happened to the horse?!

Kryswyn
Jul. 3, 2000, 05:18 PM
Regarding that twisted metal horse sculpture in front of Pen-Mor....

It always struck me as ironic that you'd have sculpture of falling/flailing horse (or 'struggling to rise' if you're optimistic) at the gate of a RACING barn. Years after I worked there, I'd still shake my head in wonderment.

SupaGoo
Jul. 3, 2000, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ccoronios:
Did you ride there in the 60s - 70s? Did you live in Wantagh then? So did I! Who are you? (I'm Carol Coronios - really original username.... my mom taught English at the HS)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha nope im only 19 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

brilyntrip
Jul. 3, 2000, 10:47 PM
Laura,It couldhave been admiral C i remember showing against that horse with Jimmy (having senior momentnow)?????last name escapesme ??? but War Dress was showing in Junior hunters in the late 60s and early 70s in Va but could easily have been sold toNancy Baroody after that.War Dress was a chestnut mare bright chestnut with a blaze and i think some stockings,AdmiralC was more a liver chestnut with a blaze.

Bertie
Jul. 3, 2000, 10:52 PM
I'm thinking maybe General C - an awesome chestnut, was ridden by James Hulick?

Kryswyn
Jul. 4, 2000, 02:27 AM
Somewhere on this post, or ponies of the 70's Nancy Baroody, posting as SpectacularKid mentioned that she was the first person to lease a show horse. In her case, War Dress, from Mrs. AC Randolph who never sold the horse.

Kryswyn
Jul. 4, 2000, 10:31 AM
Someone jogged my memory saying that Skip was originally @ the upper barn at Bailey's and not Gold Coast. They are correct. Gold Coast was where Chris Hickey hung out when he wasn't schooling Mousie's (last name?) and Ann-Louise Lippman's jr horses at their homes.

ccoronios
Jul. 4, 2000, 02:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SupaGoo18:
haha nope im only 19 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh, hell - you weren't even ALIVE then.. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif
Welcome, youngster - and keep having fun with your riding!

[This message has been edited by ccoronios (edited 07-04-2000).]

SupaGoo
Jul. 4, 2000, 11:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ccoronios:
[B] oh, hell - you weren't even ALIVE then.. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif
Welcome, youngster - and keep having fun with your riding!
[B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha thanx, I will /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Giddyup2
Jul. 5, 2000, 08:52 AM
Kryswyn - IMO - the Pen Mor flailing horse sculpture is awful! I totally agree with you - why would any horse farm put that out on display! However - Morton Binn was not a horse person - he just had race horses. Did you ever meet him or his wife Penny? They were an interesting couple.

While working there I had the opportunity to meet some other interesting people - Daniel Wildenstein, Angel Penna, Angel Cordaro, Steve Cauthen, John Whittaker (my spelling is terrible; I apologize) and others.

Anyone remember horses there? Seat of Power, Jose Binn, Martins Girl, Swipe, Raise The Issue, Cupids Way, Wigglebut, Viking, Our Anniversary, Reimbursement, Ahoy Boy, Turnbuckle?

speedracer
Jul. 5, 2000, 04:56 PM
This is so much fun. Wow--you've brought back so many memories. Jan Warner, who is about my age I think, is the person who inspired me to eventually end up riding jumpers. I do wish I knew what happened to her. She was something to watch--I rarely saw anyone beat her times.

That's so sad about Danny Ostrov. When did he die? I remember showing against him (and always losing to him and his brother, of course).

Did anyone out there hunt with Smithtown Hunt? That old territory has changed so much--so many houses, so little land. Did anyone do the hunter paces at Old Westbury?

I grew up in the city and so only popped in and out of the LI show scene because our summer house was (is) toward the end of the North Fork and few shows were easy to get to. I remember many mornings getting up at 3:00 to braid and then trailer to shows 45 to 60 miles away. That's one thing I don't miss.

But it's so much fun to remember when LI was one of the hotseats of great riding.

Yng Amateur
Jul. 5, 2000, 05:06 PM
Re the recent posts about War Dress, I e-mailed Nancy Baroody just to say hi and reminisce about that great horse, and she told me he died by eating all the peanut hulls in shavings - how sad. I remember Charlie Weaver showing him in the jrs'.

Giddyup2
Jul. 6, 2000, 09:46 AM
Speedracer - my friends mother is Bunny Steelman who has riden with the Smithtown Hunt for ages. She had a huge black/gray horses named Oven (she bought him instead of the oven she was supposed to buy!) and later had a chestnut horse named Ace. I think she does side saddle stuff with Ace now.

haligator
Jul. 6, 2000, 10:36 AM
[B]Speedracer - my friends mother is Bunny Steelman who has riden with the Smithtown Hunt for ages. She had a huge black/gray horses named Oven (she bought him instead of the oven she was supposed to buy!)

Oh my gosh!
I remember Oven and Bunny. I thought Oven was the most beautiful horse I had ever seen....and I thought Bunny was the most beautiful and elegant woman I had ever seen. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. She had that lovely house and barn down on 25A. When I was a teenager, I remember watching Bunny hunt and just being blown away by her style.

And now, well, I didn't quite grow up to be Bunny. I mean, most days I'm lucky if my socks match! But my horses always look great - color coordinated and turned out properly.

What a pleasant memory!

Hallie McEvoy

speedracer
Jul. 6, 2000, 11:47 AM
Wow--Bunny and Oven. I remember them very well. Oven was stunning. They were the most beautiful pair.

I can't get a clear picture of Ace in my head, but I remember the name.

Do you remember a horse named Delight? He was a flea bitten grey and his owner, Ginny Rusch, showed and hunted him side-saddle. He wasn't beautiful under any circumstances but he was an amazing horse.

scopeymama
Jul. 6, 2000, 12:41 PM
Did anyone ride at Cherry Meadow in E. Northport and if so when? I started riding there in "73 when I was 8 and rode there for 8 years. I practically lived there and I wish I knew what happened to all my friends!I was so sad to see the place sold to developers. If anyone rode there please e-mail me! LI had some great shows back then like AHRC in Syosset and Nassau Suffolk @ Caumsett. I bought a horse from Marge Smith. She was so nice. Is she still around? I remember James Benedetto, he's my age and everyone had a crush on him! I don't remember too many horses but I always loved taking the LIRR to the Garden. I also boarded @ Glenview in Brookville w/Hank and Maddie and Gold Coast both in the '80s. Is Glenview still there? So many places were sold to developers. Long Island will never be the same as it was back then!

PONYPULR
Jul. 6, 2000, 04:19 PM
I started my riding at Cherry Meadow in the early 60's and was gone by '73. During my 10 years there I rode with Larry Palmer and Dark Clipper, Suzanne Donahue and Gossip, Claudia White, Denise and Henry Cromwell, Didi Lunt, and Don Sachey and his 3-day horse, Landmark. On to Melody to join Neal Greenberg, Dianne Pagano, Kathy Sheilke, Jackey Raab, Carol Valentine and the Svaboda's. I trained with Hugh Cassidy there and ended up at MacIntire's before going to college.
This thread has brought back many memories of my early showing days. It is wonderful!
The old Glen View on Glen Cove Road is still there. Jill Caccosa is in there and I hear the old barn has been redone and is adorable. It still has stalls upstairs, I believe.
Keep the great memories coming!!!

HEFARM
Jul. 6, 2000, 09:00 PM
hello everyone that can remember the 70's does anyone remember Tracy Mullen from Tudane Farm? what about the good old days when you had to trailer your horse to be shod by Dave Birdsall in Watermill? Margaret Pape was my first trainer at Bar 7 which is now Ralph and Holly Caristos Glen View in Hauppage

M. O'Connor
Jul. 6, 2000, 10:34 PM
I sure remember Tracey Mullen! With the hydraulic ramp lifter that allowed her to raise or lower the ramp on her van with the flick of a finger--while the rest of us were struggling to heave ours up or down! Jan Warner was (and is, though I hardly ever see her anymore) a good friend; she took over her family's grocery store on Shelter Island. A few years back, I gave her a horse that I couldn't sell; if you managed to get him around a course, you could always count on a prize, since he was very loathe to touch a jump, but he was too spooky to survive any of his trial runs with prospective owners--so Jan took him. Spooky didn't bother Jan, and she has a knack for accomodating to "free spirited" horses without overcompromising! I think she still rides; my husband, who occaisionally works over on Shelter Island sees her every now and then.

Kryswyn
Jul. 7, 2000, 01:44 AM
I haven't seen Tracy recently, but her sister Jonelle is very active catch riding and training in Virginia. My those girls are vertically blessed! Speaking as one vertically (and horizontally) challenged, I really admire those Mullen girls. I'll see if I can get an update on Tracy next time I see Jonelle.

Giddyup2
Jul. 7, 2000, 09:13 AM
Speedracer and haligator - Yes! Bunny Steelman! I was at her house a few years ago - on Pond View Rd (I think), off 25A!!!! A bunch of us gals met there for drinks and socializing (Patty is my friend and Bunny's daughter) before we went to our high school reunion - a limo picked us up! Anyway, Bunny is just as beautiful and nice as ever. We had a great time at her house - we yaked and yaked about Oven and Ace and looked at pictures of her and Ace in formal side saddle attire. (Ace is a bright chestnut with a blaze and a sock or two). Oven was awesome - big, dark, almost scary! But what a nice guy. Patty had a plain chestnut gelding named Dingaling that they got from Ketchums Pony Farm.

Ponypulr - Yes - Dark Clipper!! I thought that was Don's horse. I was awestruck by him - so beautiful - and saw him at the Garden. I did not ride at Cherry Meadows but my friend Stacey did. Do these horse names ring a bell.....Captain and Fresca? I knew Neal Greenburg when he was dating Janet Hein! The Svabodas! I remember those two sisters....the younger one had a chestnut named Mica and the older one bought Hugh Cassidy's bay horse (a former steeple chaser) named God's Will.

Christie - Hank and Maddie!!! Hank was so nice.....I vaguely remember Maddie. Must have been just before moving off LI. What ever happened to Hank?

This is soooo much fun and I'm glad there are so many out there who are joining in!!!

Laura Reed
Jul. 7, 2000, 10:35 AM
For those of who still live on the island: Vinnie Sava will be back this weekend! He will be learner stewarding with me during the Nassau Classic, Saturday and Sunday at SUNY Old Westbury. Please stop by and say hello!

HAC
Jul. 7, 2000, 11:42 AM
Where in Shelter Island? My grandmother has had a house on West Moreland Farm since my father was a child.

HEFARM
Jul. 7, 2000, 10:15 PM
tracey mullen is the mom kelly and janelle are the daughters i have seen kelly showing in ocala in years past anyone know what the others are up to?
how about hugh gormley and jack fredus anyone remember those names? and then of course there is kevin igoe

Kryswyn
Jul. 8, 2000, 12:03 AM
Sorry, meant daughter Jonelle! But they're ALL SO TALL from my height you can hardly see their face LOL!

Gormley: did he have a wife, Pat or Ingrid, maybe? Small white barn right on 106 outside of Jericho, just down from where Jericho Sch of Hrsmshp was?

EquiMom
Jul. 8, 2000, 01:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giddyup] I knew Neal Greenburg when he was dating Janet Hein![/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We see Neal Greenburg almost every day! He's married to a lovely lady named Joan and they have two adorable little boys! They're the nicest people..Also, Joey Collura is by all the time to skillfully shoe the horses at the barn--and entertain us with his lively banter!

PONYPULR
Jul. 8, 2000, 05:07 PM
Rumor has it, Hank Wawryck from Glen Veiw, is no longer with Maddie or in the horse business. They were living on a house boat in Glen Cove while together. I haven't heard if he left the boat, but I believe he is swinging a hammer for a living now.

Is anyone out there familar with King Hackley from GA?

Giddyup2
Jul. 10, 2000, 11:15 AM
Yes - Neal was always so nice and would do anything for anyone. When I knew Neal he had a very nice dark bay named Benson. Is he still riding or doing anything horsey? What happened to Benson?

Joey Collura - he was a wild man when I knew him - has he calmed down/settled down as he's gotten older?

Sorry to hear about Hank and Maddie. I used to love his dog Snapper - everyone did.

[This message has been edited by Giddyup2 (edited 07-10-2000).]

HEFARM
Jul. 10, 2000, 11:12 PM
hugh gormley had a barn on the service road of the LIE in great neck, long island his wife's name was doris

EquiMom
Jul. 10, 2000, 11:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giddyup2:
[B]Yes - Neal was always so nice and would do anything for anyone. When I knew Neal he had a very nice dark bay named Benson. Is he still riding or doing anything horsey? What happened to Benson?

Joey Collura - he was a wild man when I knew him - has he calmed down/settled down as he's gotten older?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neal is still riding and is leasing a lovely mare--and as for Joey! Yes, he is still a wild man...as much or more so than ever! LOL

Next time I see Neal I'll suggest that he stop by here to catch this thread and to say hello..! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ccoronios
Jul. 13, 2000, 12:15 AM
Can't resist bringing this back up to see if it elicits any more memories......

Kryswyn
Jul. 14, 2000, 09:53 PM
I ran into Jonelle Mullen today and told her about these posts starring "The Mullens of Tudane Farm" She got a big kick out of it and promised to post. Watch soon for the next installment, "The Day the Ramp Got Stuck"! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kryswyn
Jul. 16, 2000, 01:36 AM
I spoke with Jackie Bittner Moeller today from Hidden Lake Farm. She's doing well had lots of lessons to teach so we didn't stay on the phone long. She doesn't have a 'puter, but her SO Gary does, so she will try to get her and tell us what she remembers.

Jonelle Mullen
Jul. 17, 2000, 12:06 AM
Hi everybody, this is Jonelle Mullen. Sure is great stirring up all the old LI memories. Have been in Warrenton, VA for 8 years -- ride hunters and teach. Have a barn I rent, and ride professionally for Pam Baker. Sister Kelly is riding for a very large farm in Germantown, TN -- for trainer Dave Pelligrini. She got lots of ribbons at Devon this year in the Green's, Conformation and Working Divisions. Mother Tracy still dabbles in the horses a little, but works primarily at Banquet and Catering Director for the local country club. She's looking forward to diving back in as soon as my new barn is finished the end of this year! Great to hear you remembered the electronic ramp! Always had a great time at the LI shows as a kid -- everyone was so much fun. Sounds like farms are diminishing on the western part of LI but growing out on the north fork and in the Hamptons. Lots are moving to VA also. See Skip and Elise at all the shows, adn live just down the road from them. Great to see them after 10 years. Also, Maureen Brennan bought Jack Kent Cooke's estate in Middleburg, VA -- see her in the jumper division now. Joe Fargis is a regular on the VA show scene too - rents a farm in Middleburg during the spring and summer. Keep up the news and memories!

Kryswyn
Jul. 17, 2000, 01:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonelle Mullen:
Sister Kelly is riding for a very large farm in Germantown, TN -- for trainer Dave Pelligrini. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jonelle, did I know that about Kelly?!? I went to Virginia Intermont with David & DeeDee (they were the year behind me) I even "coached" David at an IHSA Finals because our head of riding didn't want to go. We stayed at my folks in Old Westbury and (further LI connection) it was held at Smoke Run Farm! What a kick! This is such a small world!

Kryswyn
Jul. 17, 2000, 01:53 AM
Maureen Brennen knows she's living in a small town when:

She walks into a tack shop; sales associate says, New in Town? Yep. Where're you from?
New York. Really! Where? Long Island. Really! What part? Old Westbury. Sales clerk says: Oh, you're Maureen Brennan!

It's true - you could see "deede deede, deede deede" playing across her face! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jane
Aug. 14, 2000, 03:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dually:
Hi Jane. This is elise. Yes Skip and I moved to Va. and love it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Elise! Nice to "see" you and hear that you guys are doing well. Yeah, I've been thinking MAYBE I will look into moving down to VA in a year or two, now that I'm phasing out of fashion industry and have no need to live close to NYC. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, Dr. Sarah E. told me about your upcoming nuptials; a big congrats to you both! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jane
Aug. 14, 2000, 04:00 PM
Maureen Brennen knows she's living in a small town when:

She walks into a tack shop; sales associate says, New in Town? Yep. Where're you from?
New York. Really! Where? Long Island. Really! What part? Old Westbury. Sales clerk says: Oh, you're Maureen Brennan!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! So I heard Foxmount is closed officially? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

BTW, those of you who knew Margaret from Glenview/Parkview -- I saw her saturday night at (yet another) farewell party, where she and a few "old-timers" were reminiscenting about the old days. I told them about this thread, she said she would check it out when she's back online again.

cathy springer
Aug. 16, 2000, 10:21 PM
Bunny Steelman is still the elegant lady everyone remembers. She now has another black horse- Shadow and still rides side saddle now and again. How could we talk about elegance and not mention Violet Hawrys from the Smithtown Hunt ?? She's still on LI and is on line. Strolling down memory lane, what about Val McMenomy, Milton Potter (deceased), Mickey Mellon in St. James (small riding school on Mills Pond Rd.). The DeLeyers were much together at Wini Dini's wedding recently- Harry and Joan, Marty, Andre, Harriet and respective spouses. Bye the bye, the current master of the Smithtown Hunt is Dick Fredericks - the circle remains unbroken, huh ?? Also, Barbara Clarke is still in Bridgehampton with Alvin and Patsy Topping and is still a regular with the SH.
Thanks for all the nice reminders of past and present. Cath

munchies
Aug. 30, 2000, 02:09 AM
wow this is great !! Dont know if any of you remember my old show horse that Haike DeLeyer and Harry DeLeyer used to show by the name of ALL POWER. We showed on LI back in the early 70s
I remember when Andre and Johnny stole Harrys Hermes and sold them for a nickle and dime !!
I was actually the last one who ever rode Snowman before they decided to put him down and Johnny took him thru the fields and than laid him to rest !!
Concerning horseshows the one I remmeber the best is I think it was the Hamptons which was right on the beach. Of course I attended shows at the college what was its name, than Knox School , Glen Head, Stony Hill (think that was the name) I would have to go thru all my ribbons
I still have pictures of Little Santa by the way anyone know what ever happened to Anna Maria DeLeyer ?? Lived with Joe Deleyer in Pa for a while (what a joke ) I heard Harriet got married and so did Andre (cant believe someone would marry him but boys change as they get older !!)
Talking about old horses yes I remember Secret Weapon as well as Top Secret with Buddy Brown (was the best ribbon I ever got when I beat him at the Brooksville Show in Florida)
What ever happened to the thief Milton Potter ?? He stole a horse from me (actually it was All Power) but I couldnt get him back wouldnt tell me where he was and I was just a kid at the time /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Still have his papers right in my drawer, matter of fact if anyone has an old horse in thier barn that might be him PLEASE let me know
He would have the tatoo Y13258
This topic was great as its brought back so many memories
I remember Dutch Brandy , Dutch Addition, I almost bought Dutch Clown but couldnt get along with him and Nicole Shahinians mother was my winter instructor at the time and riding jumpers and she almost got bucked off him !!
Frankie Benedettos father had the tack shop as Frankie was just a kid
I attended a summer camp one year with the Hulicks and knew GOOD BOY DEE as well as Willie Wonderful and the Guyer girls
What a great coversation
If anyone remembers any of the DeLeyer horses please write to me as well as I always wondered what happened with Annie DeLeyer
Thanks
munchies@webtv.net

LURKNNOMORE
Jun. 30, 2001, 08:09 PM
Am hoping to see more of these stories.

Gold Dust
Jul. 1, 2001, 08:29 AM
Holy Jeez, not only am I going down memory lane for L.I., Giddyup, I rubbed on most of those horses at Pen-Mor!!!!! Who are you? Ahoy Boy out in that front turn out with the damn cow that used to chase me!

Gold Dust
Jul. 1, 2001, 08:34 AM
The de Leyer boys have grown up! not like they were back in the 70's! I guess I should know LOL !!!!!!

Annie is married with 3 children. Still living in a house on the farm. Andre's wife should pop in soon now and fill you in on him![Hi Chris!]

PONYPULR
Jul. 1, 2001, 10:46 AM
If you look at the dates of these posts you will see that this is a thread that was started last year and recently resurrected by LURKN. I know Giddyup, she used to ride with me when I was up in Northport in the mid 70's. She e-mailed me recently and said one of the reasons she started this thread was to find me! Anyway, she worked at Penmor until she got hurt. Tractor wreck. Does that help??!!

"Nothing ruins a neighborhood, like neighbors." L. Greening

Jennasis
Jul. 1, 2001, 11:57 AM
Wow...so good to hear about the "good ol' days". One note, I understand that Marty Barbera, the beloved farrier, is leaving the biz due to an injury. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Keep the stories a-coming!

Kryswyn
Jul. 1, 2001, 12:30 PM
If you were in Northport in the mid '70's did you know Eileen Nardiello? I trained w/her in 1975-6 before I went to collage. Do you know where she is now?

~Kryswyn~
"Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"

HEFARM
Jul. 1, 2001, 01:01 PM
hi there in one of these posts i saaw mention of the name margaret from glenview/parkview does anyone know how i can get in touch with her?

Gold Dust
Jul. 1, 2001, 04:57 PM
Now I know who you are giddyup! Remember me? I have way to many Pen Mor stories! Loose horses on that golf course nextdoor was $50 per hoof print! Can I tell you how many BIG checks went that way!!! Remember filming the Orangejuice commercial with Steve Cauthen as one of the exersize riders were getting run off with on the track screaming their head off during taping?

Jane
Jul. 1, 2001, 08:24 PM
Jennasis: Nope, Marty isn't retiring, he's just cutting back on the amount of work he takes on, due to his back problems.

HEFARM: As I'd promised, I gave your email addy to Margaret last summer, and she remembered you clearly. I saw her last weekend as a matter of fact, and she told me she still isn't back online.

LURKNNOMORE
Jul. 2, 2001, 05:45 AM
I hope no one minds this resurrection, I was playing around through the old threads and loved it.

For those of you that were there and still doing it now, what was the big difference? In all the stories I have heard it seems the jumps were bigger, the riders tougher and more of a sense of community. Anyone know why? I also don't see anyone moving up to fill the ranks and can't help but wonder who among the juniors of today will be the trainers of tommorrow.

Giddyup2
Jul. 2, 2001, 06:14 AM
Gold Dust......YES! The orange juice commercial with Stevie Cauthen!!!! What a cutie he was!

Ponypuler is right....I wondered how she was doing and what she was doing; that's why I started this thread.

Ponypuler is right again...that was me who tried to outwrestle a tractor! Darn tractor just wouldn't give in!! How about Raise The Issue (one of my favorites mares), Swipe, Martin's Girl, Cupids Wish, Cupids Way, Swap For Power, Our Anniversary, Reimbursement, Lucy's Liberal, Seat of Power, Appashionato (sp?), Jose Binn, Penny Binn, Green Binn, Red Haste, Hail to Haste, I can't remember all the registered names of the string of weanling/yearlings I rubbed on before they went to Saratoga. What a tough job it was working at Pen Mor but geez....did I learn a lot about a lot of things!!!!!

I remember a lot of the "Dutch" horses - Dutch Clown was a gorgeous solid bay, right?

PONYPULR
Jul. 2, 2001, 07:19 AM
Yes I knew Eileen- She had a horse called I'm A Tiger. At an away show that horse kicked and killed a friend of mine, Kathy Fleming, who was grooming at the time. Eileen was involved with Chris Hickey, right? She had her place on Bread and Cheese Hollow Road, no? I have no current info on Eileen or Chris(thank god!!), I'm sorry to say. A trainer/friend of mine said he saw Chris in Florida, last year- maybe it was 2 winters ago, so he must still be in the horse business.

PONYPULR
Jul. 2, 2001, 07:32 AM
The difference between then and now, from a lowly exhibitor's point of view, it was far more competitive then. Less divisions, nothing for the lower level riders except equitation, and therefore the numbers were bigger. And there were three foot six divisions!!! Not that I don't appreciate the three foot divisions of the 80's and 90's!!!

There are also way more trainers today, and of many different calibers. Back then lower level trainers had no divisions to use for their clients. Now if your client can post, there's a class for him/her at the shows!!!

Gold Dust
Jul. 2, 2001, 09:07 AM
Great to hear from you again giddyup!!!! Remember,I retaliated for you on Pen-Mor tractor land quite a bit #1- Did not put the parking brake on the tractor all the way and it rolled into the quarantine barn. Barn survived but not the right front tire!!!!
#2- Driving too fast around the pavement on the outside of the track when it was icy and lost the manure spreaderand part of the tractor to the sump!!!
Green Binn- I hated that thing!I remember hand walking him in the shed and he said no more and picked me up by the cuff of my pants and flung me in the shed row wall. What a sweet thing! LOL

Lurkn- another difference. We knew nothing of this person called a groom or what in the world was 'Full Service' back then!!?? To us that meant-'You do it'!!!!

My Favorite Dutch Horse- Dutch Addition! What a great mare!!!!She made seeing the distance easy because she saw it all the time way befor I did!!!!

ccoronios
Jul. 2, 2001, 09:40 AM
Johnny's in TX doing pretty well. Another old (and I use that term carefully) LIer, Walter Bickmann, has him ride his jumpers and greenies occasionally when they meet at a show in Louisiana.

Isn't it great fun to remember all the oldies?! That must make most of us one of "them", eh?

Gold Dust
Jul. 2, 2001, 09:52 AM
Sorry giddyup, Yes a BEAUTIFUL Bay! I think his history is back onthe other pages! Dutch Villa- another sharp looker! Haike showed that one in the big Eq.!!!
Yup, John is in Texas, married to a wonderful woman and 2 children!

hcon
Jul. 2, 2001, 12:16 PM
What ever happened to Santa? I remember riding that little pony with Haike in the big field at Hollandia(Fantasy/Fox Run when I boarded there. That pony took off on me all the time,I think I was 9 at the time. Anyone else ride at Fantasy during the early 80's? What ever happened to the Loveless's?

Gold Dust
Jul. 2, 2001, 12:25 PM
He was donated to Knox school and was under the good care of the Luekmeyers and died quite a few years ago very happy at Smoke Run farm! Same as Dutch Heaven. I watched many a child fall off that pony and he finished the course Harry made anyways!!!!
The Loveless'moved to Fla. and have not seen them since. Have no idea if Tracy still rides. She would be an adult now and that sure makes me feel old right now!!!

Lucassb
Jul. 2, 2001, 12:57 PM
Gosh, I had fun reading some of this thread... I grew up riding at the Thomas School (when Bill Thomas still ruled, and Nancy and her sister were in and out...and we still had a real honest to god outside course to ride on!! Cold Duck, Triscuit, Lil Abner, Stormy... all great school horses and wonderful rides. I had forgotten about Junior Olympics - they were my first experience with five bar classes and boy were they fun ( I rode Bombay in my first one ever; what a treat!)

Later I boarded at Melody with the Brinkmann's and got to play polo at West Hills on Blair's ponies... Haligator, if you read this, email me - would love to know what you are up to these days!
(I haven't been to VT in forever; are you still there?)

Susan

Gold Dust
Jul. 2, 2001, 01:45 PM
I remember all of those horses from the tech program.Halligator and I graduated the same year!!!! Sandman was also there at that time!

Meshach
Jul. 2, 2001, 01:54 PM
Lucassb - when where you at Melody? I was there from '83-'87. I was in Judy's barn (the one across from the long back barn) first with my mare Blackie then I was in the back barn with my gelding JT.

Gold Dust
Jul. 2, 2001, 07:41 PM
Got your e-mail. Here's another hint. I worked there I believe I started in late '78 until '81. Were you there during the Skip to Ted manager change or were you already gone by then? I am beginning to have Sr. moments already so my brain is gone at times also!

ljo
Jul. 2, 2001, 09:14 PM
Do you remember a pretty young grey horse named Carosel then changed to Madrigal? He was the last horse Bill Thomas bought before he died.He used to go to West Point for the winter then come back in the spring.

I remember every horse you named and then some. Remember 2c's? He could buck me off any time he wanted.

ljo
Jul. 2, 2001, 09:20 PM
Do you remember a pretty young grey horse named Carosel then changed to Madrigal?
He was the last horse Bill Thomas bought.
He'd go to West Point in the winter and come back in the spring.

I remember every horse you named and then some.Do you remember 2c's? That horse could buck me off any time he wanted.

Lucassb
Jul. 3, 2001, 08:34 AM
Meshack, I was at Melody from about 80-83... when I left to go to college. I was in the front barn and had a grey horse named Hollywood. My friend Sara was there a little longer and had her bay mare (who is still around! but now retired) in the little barn across from Judy's at the top of the hill... we all groomed at West Hills to earn board money ;> Arno Wolf had Ten back then and let me ride him a few times - what a fabulous horse. He also was the nicest person and several times trailered me to Caumsett and other shows so that I could afford to go... And Blair of course was wonderful, too. Blair's Brats is what we called ourselves - had T shirts made up and everything. The first day we showed up with them on I thought Ted Brinkmann was going to have a heart attack!!

Ljo, I remember 2Cs - how could you forget that buck!?! so funny. I remember riding Sandy in some jumper stuff and having a blast - lessons with Bill were always staggering. I look back now on some of those jumps and wonder how I did it! But the lessons learned there - about horse care as well as riding - stick with me to this day.

Later I rode with Skip Lauinger when he had Few Acres at Bailey's (when he was married to Sue) and enjoyed it immensely. It was fun to read the earlier posts on this thread and to see he moved to VA. Is he still there, does anyone know? He was a great trainer.

ljo
Jul. 3, 2001, 09:37 AM
I was at the bottom barn Jack O Lantern when skip had the top barn. Skips kids always looked like they were having so much fun.Remember Skip's horse Jaws?

Lucassb
Jul. 3, 2001, 09:42 AM
always WAS fun... not to mention, most of us had *huge* crushes on him <sigh>

I remember JAWS!!!!

Also Manhattan, the only horse I ever did EQ on. He was a blast. Beautiful bay with a big spook in him ;> But huge fun to ride.

"Those were the days!!!" Oh my, I am getting so homesick for the old LI...

ljo
Jul. 3, 2001, 10:16 AM
The old LI doesn't exist anymore. Most of the good trainers left. Alot of the farms and trails were developed.

We were really lucky.We could watch the olympic trainers come for clinics at Stony Hill and Caumsett.God,I'd go watch Jack LeGoff and Burt DeNemethy(sp)

The big shows before and during the Classic. I could watch Rodney school and ride.I had a big crush on him and thought Skip was pretty hot too!

ljo
Jul. 3, 2001, 09:50 PM
Kryswin
Walter's friend was Brian Ford.

I loved riding the horse Steel at Old Mill.

Giddyup2
Jul. 4, 2001, 10:51 AM
Gold Dust....I was at Penmor around the same time you were (80-81). I got crunched by the tractor in 81. Remember Clark the grounds keeper? Jimmy the foaling guy? Joey the farrier? How about the grooms....Loretta? Tracy? Larry? Penny?

I rode Arno's horse Sivara (or something like that) at Melody for a few months. He had sold Ten and got this chestnut gelding. Heard it bowed a tendon after I left. Do you remember the black horse Adam at Melody? Owned by the daughter of the owners of Northport 5 & 10 store (before it was bought by The Gap). Can't remember the girls name but she was really nice....maybe Kristin?

Gold Dust
Jul. 4, 2001, 02:32 PM
Clark and those BEAUTIFUL eyes. How could you forget those baby blues! Joey McCloskey and his St. Bernard Sunshine. I remember pulling him out of the ALNOR bar one too many times! Penny works at North shore at C.W.Post. Has been there since she left Pen-Mor. Loretta worked at the track and was living with Skip last I heard.Oh god and that is over 20 years now. Bet they are not an item anymore!! You have to let me know when you are on the island again and we should get together with PONYPULR!

Giddyup2
Jul. 5, 2001, 05:24 AM
Actually.....I am coming down to the Island next week to haul up my fathers boat. Parents are moving up near me. I think I have a 3pm ferry from New London to Orient Point (I always take the ferry).

There is a really nice farm in....Bridgehampton...I think it is called Twin Oaks(?)....Twin something. I came down to deliver a fancy show pony to them not too long ago. I have a friend here who buys and developes awesome, beautiful hunter ponies. She has welsh and gorgeous TB looking ponies.

M. O'Connor
Jul. 5, 2001, 05:31 AM
Two Trees? There is also Twin Oaks (small) and there was Five Tails till not long ago, now it is Wild Ocean....Two Trees is HUGE.

brilyntrip
Jul. 5, 2001, 05:39 AM
two trees is huge and twin oaks is no more hank sold it and has moved to where else florida

alfalfa
Jul. 5, 2001, 06:15 AM
I'm wondering if anyone might remember a horse my mom had on L.I. named Playboy. He was a really coppery chestnut with chrome. She originally bought him off the track, then ended up making it to the Garden in Junior Hunters and Eq. Her maiden name was Jane Converse.

Sannois
Jul. 6, 2001, 06:36 AM
WOW, I grew up on LI, in the 60's and 70's. I learned to ride at Cherry Meadow Farm in North Port, with Don Sacheys mother, Dorothy Sachey. What a fantastic experience. I rode so many great horses, and to this day I thank her for the wonderful education I recieved. How to be a true horseman. What wonderful memories. I haven't been back to LI since 1980. Does anyone know if Cherry Meadow farm is still standing? It was in such a suburban setting even back then, that I'd be surprised if it wasn't just a bunch of houses by now. Anyone remember Paul Mayo's Riding shop in Cold Spring Harbor. Oh how I loved to go there when I was little. All the wonderful traditional clothes and tack. Got my first pair of Jods and boots there. And my first hunt coat, Ah I think it was the Robins Egg blue one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

haligator
Jul. 6, 2001, 07:50 AM
Hi,
Cherry Meadow is gone. That section of Pulaski Road is all houses now. Everytime I am on Long Island and I drive past there I look over hopefully, like maybe I was mistaken the last time I drove past (hope springs eternal). I do the same thing on Broadway in Greenlawn when I pass where Little Plains Stable was. Heck, I do it at my parents house in Greenlawn - I still can't believe the stable and paddocks are gone (but at least it remains open meadows and woods - no buildings).

I loved Paul Mayo's saddle shop in Cold Spring Harbor. I once got a BLUE velvet hunt cap there. I thought I was so cool. It was, of course, worn with a maroon riding jacket with a black collar, canary breeches, and brown field boots. Ahhh, the 70s!

I'll be judging a few times on Long Island this summer and fall. It is always great to go home.

Hallie McEvoy

PONYPULR
Jul. 6, 2001, 09:47 AM
WOW!! I rode at Cherry Meadow during that time also. Did we know each other?? I started there in '64 and got my first horse in '68. He was a palomino named Born Blonde. I rode there till about '73. I recently got in touch with Mrs. Sachey and spoke to Margot on the phone. Margo lives near her mother's assisted living home in Collegeville PA. Don is in California doing the eventing thing and Margot got a job teaching at her son's riding stable after years of working in the corporate world.

Giddyup2
Jul. 6, 2001, 11:59 AM
Cherry Meadows.....I did not ride there (I started at Ketchems Pony Farm) but my friend did. She used to ride Captain and Fresca. I remember Don's black TB...Dark Clipper...saw him ride the horse in the Garden. I drooled over that horse! Is that "our" Don S. who writes articles in Practical Horseman and that Kip Goldreyer (sp?) rides and speaks about (also of PH)? I remember Margot was soooo pretty! I was scared of Mrs. Sachey!

Paul Mayo....oh boy!....I completely forgot about that shop! Thanks for jogging my ever decreasing memory!

lauriep
Jul. 6, 2001, 02:34 PM
Ok, I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but in 1976, while working for the Curries and Galesis at Equinox in Bridgehampton, Debbie Champlain worked for us for awhile and we became good friends. She was a LI native and rode a jumper called Big Stakes. anyone remember her or know where she is?

Laurie

ccoronios
Jul. 6, 2001, 02:56 PM
Walter Bickmann? He worked there during late 60s.

M. O'Connor
Jul. 6, 2001, 03:08 PM
can you match these horses up with their riders....these are some I remember from the mid to late seventies....

James Q, Plain Jane, Hummer, Superstition, Pepper Hill, Secret Weapon, October Breeze, Glenant Ariel, Ali, Dutch Wisdom, Secret Lover, Tradition, String of Pearls, Sail Away, Harold (bonus if you can also name his startling bad habit in the schooling area...), Set Point, Smile Awhile...oh, and Ampersand....

ljo
Jul. 6, 2001, 04:23 PM
I worked with a girl who kept her horse at Cherry meadow.She was a thin good looking girl w/dark hair I don't remember her name but I remember her horses name Beaujangles.He was a dark TB.

Sannois
Jul. 6, 2001, 05:51 PM
I was just an 8 year old when I started there. I remember born blonde, and Dark clipper Dons horse and I remember the name of every schoolie I rode. Captain, Commander scout, Harrigan a big black warmbloody looking mare Belladonna, A big grey named Censored. Grey Vic, pony Grey mare named Gingel. Sweetie, chestnut gelding, Pogo paint pony, Beauregard bay pony, Mr. Chips big leopard app. bucked my butt off more times in one lesson, God love Mrs. Sachey she kept making me get back on. Charades, Fresca, I know I'm missing a few. I vaguley remember the boarders, but they were always nice to us students. There was a horse there also that was named Martini, Dark dapple grey, I cant remember if he was a boarder or a schoolie. Oh such wonderful memories. I haven't been back to Newyork since 1980, I will be sure to not drive past where it used to be. It will make me cry. I want to remember it in my mind the way it was always. Wow Mrs. Sachey is still alive? How wonderful. Margo gave me some lessons too, I specifically remember another schoolie, a chestnut mare named Clementine, it was a hot July day and it was a group lesson, Clemmie was itchy and decided that she should roll, well I got my leg out of the way in a nick of time, lol. It was only my 5 or 6th lesson. Didn't fase me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thanks you guys how wonderful!!

Sannois
Jul. 6, 2001, 06:04 PM
For what its worth I was terrified of Mrs. Sachey, she was so rigid and strict. I had the most respect for her, God bless her, she taught me all the most important things I know about riding of all the trainers I have ridden with, over the years. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I still have the very first blue ribbon I ever won from there, its when they actually put dates on ribbons. It is a purply brown now but still cherished. It say Cherry Meadow Farm Invitational show 1969. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PONYPULR
Jul. 6, 2001, 06:19 PM
Dark Clipper was Larry Palmer's horse. Don's horse was Land Mark.

Wow- you remember Clementine?? She rolled with everybody!!! So did Commander, but that bugger could jump. You always wanted Commander for the Puissance class!!

Mary-
James Q- Ann Somebodyorother, give me a hint.
Plain Jane- Robin, Karen, or Lynn Caristo
Hummer- Jan Warner
Superstition- Michael Weiss
Pepper Hill- Billy Rice
Secret Weapon- Vinnie Sava
Oct. Breeze- Rod Lopez
String of Parls- Ross Reisner
Sail Away- Michael Carlson(actually he was Robert Hochkins horse, wasn't he??)
The rest I don't recognize.
How about Deck Chick, No Alibi, Above Suspicion, Tudor Dane?
I still have a bunch of LIHSAA booklets from the 70's and 80's, shall I drag them out??!!

Gold Dust
Jul. 6, 2001, 06:27 PM
I bow to the queen of memory!!!!Jan Warner rode a really nice hunter that I loved to death.Who was that one Janet?
Dutch Wisdom- Bobby Ginsburg
Harold-[from stonyhill] Nasty old chap!

Sannois
Jul. 6, 2001, 06:43 PM
He was the absolute best jumper, and my all time favorite! And he never rolled on me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M. O'Connor
Jul. 6, 2001, 09:03 PM
<<I still have a bunch of LIHSAA booklets from the 70's and 80's, shall I drag them out??!!>>

Drag 'em out!

haligator
Jul. 7, 2001, 02:30 AM
Hi Giddyup,
When did you ride at Ketchum's Pony Farm? That's where I started, too. Remember Babar, Mare, Chips, Cavalier, Earl the gray pony, Simon Sez (Jenny Van Deinse's horse) and Dube (Leslie Wilson's horse)? I wish I could remember more of the names of the horses there. A fellow named Barry had a really pretty black horse whose name escapes me.

Remember shipping all the horses up to Little Plains to show? I would be sooooo excited for days prior to a show.

Mrs. Peters now runs a horse retirement facility down south, I think in North Carolina. She runs an ad in Chronicle every now and then in the classifieds. I learned a lot about hard work and horses from her.

Hallie McEvoy

Giddyup2
Jul. 7, 2001, 05:06 AM
I started at Ketchems in....hmmmm.....maybe 1966?! Egads I'm old! Can't remember how long I rode there...maybe 5,6,7 years. Then I got my own horse (from Marge Smith) and kept him near the Vets Hospital and then over near Norwood School. That's when I met Ponypuler and rode with her!!!!!

I leased Babar one summer.
Learned to trot on Lady (?) Little bay mare.
Learned to canter on Gussy and Mare.
Leased Short Stop for a summer or two.
Took Dube to my first show.
Other names.....Tossup, Major, Try Me (Lindas beautiful mare), Tamara (Laura's bay mare), Lady Jane Penguin, Boyce, Chocolate Pudding, Bubbles (Bubbline Leo), Sargent Pepper, Decade, Coleen, Babe (Richies palamino mare), Cherry Picker, Quest, Lonesome Joe (Linda's side saddle horse), hmmmm...more will come to me.

haligator
Jul. 7, 2001, 02:30 PM
GiddyUp,
Oh my Gosh - we are leading parallel lives! I was at Ketchum Pony Farm in the early 1970s. I, too, leased Babar one summer; Mare another summer. I was also lucky enough to ride Dube a few times, but never at a show. I can't believe all the horses you remember! Then in the late 1970s, I boarded with Marge Smith.

Is it possible we are related?

Gold Dust
Jul. 7, 2001, 07:31 PM
Do we dare start to try to remember our 1977 Wilson Tech days? Lee Krantz,Ted[whatever his last name is now]and John Messinio!!!
Yes PONYPULR, drag them out. We need to go back and cling to our youth!!!

haligator
Jul. 8, 2001, 02:34 PM
Gold Dust,
We must cling to our youth, as 40 is a very scarey age!

Ahhh, Wilson Tech - it was Ted Lamanno, now it is Ted Landers. Remember Bombay, Brandy, Cold Duck, and Karen's gray Arabian? Remember the dusty classroom? And, do you remember when Mimi and I got into trouble for decking the oaf (he was probably enrolled in air conditioning technology) who was teasing the baby squirrel at Wilson Tech itself?

Okay, confession time - I was petrified of you and also admired you! You were sooo self-assured and such a good rider and you didn't give a flip if Miss Lee or anyone else gave you a hard time. And you got to hang around with the cool Deleyer boys.

1977 - wow! Maybe we should plan a 25 year Wilson Tech Horse Care reunion in 2002? Would that be a strange experience or what?

And, for anyone who is interested, our one racehorse that we own in partnership is racing on Wednesday in the third race at Monmouth Park. Her name is Churchontime and this is her second start. In her first start, she was very, very polite and made sure that everyone else finished in front of her ("oh no, I couldn't possibly pass you - you go right ahead, dear. Have you been working out? Your butt looks great. See you back at the barn.")

Okay, Deb, reunion in 2002?

Semper Eadem,
Hallie McEvoy

M. O'Connor
Jul. 8, 2001, 02:59 PM
James Q- Ann E. Weiss
Plain Jane- Robin, Karen, or Lynn Caristo and Jenny Yacoe (now Fisher?)
Hummer- Jan Warner
Superstition- Steven Weiss (now @ Ri-Arm)
Pepper Hill- Billy Rice
Secret Weapon- Vinnie Sava
Oct. Breeze- Rod Lopez
String of Parls- Ross Reisner
Sail Away- Kitty McCoy (rode out of Swan Creek)
Glanant Ariel- Astrid Pearlbinder
Dutch Wisdom-Bobby Ginsberg's jumper
Ali-Patrick Rice's jumper
Ampersand-my jumper

Harold--a big appy, owned by Cliff Klenk of Sagaponack, out of Topping Riding Club--ridden by Dawn Brennan in the Jr. Jumpers, and Robert Hoskins in the Intermediate/Opens--his bad habit was to run UNDER the jump once it got big enough for him to think he could fit--Robert was carrying a lap full of rail more than once!

Gnarly
Jul. 8, 2001, 02:59 PM
Kathy Scholl and "Slip Sliding?" <a.k.a Slip>

What HAPPENED to the field at A.H.R.C.? and what happened to the field where "The Hampton Classic" ("Southampton") used to be held?

M. O'Connor
Jul. 8, 2001, 03:04 PM
was Kimery--came from Swan Creek Farm, where he was a great horse for Doug Feinberg, who was nearly blind at the time--his sister Mayanne gave him to Jan...I rode him a few times and he could be unbelievably quick to the jumps, you really needed to be quiet on him--he loved Jan, and went for years and years and years for her--I defy anyone to name a horse that could stay so sound for so long today!

M. O'Connor
Jul. 8, 2001, 03:08 PM
Stillwell Woods where AHRC was held--Ginny Mealing (who is now married, and I don't know her married name)says it's still there, behind some soccer fields-- the old Hampton Classic grounds in East Hampton seem to be preserved as open space, but do not appear to be used for anything these days--the rest of the parcel was developed as Dune Alpin Farm, a condominium group, but the barns and fields still have horses there.

Gold Dust
Jul. 8, 2001, 04:02 PM
I would love a reunion! I see Jackie all the time.Her daughter rides with me now. She sees Audrey all the time.They are doing great!
I remember your little episode!You and Mimi cracked me up.Remember when the bus broke down on the LIE and when the driver went to call for help we fixed it and I drove us to Thomas'. Man was I in trouble for that!!!
Back then who would of ever thought I would of married one!!! Hallie,I envyed you because you were so damn smart!!! I have read articles you have written and still envy you!

Joanie-got youre-mail.STOP LURKING! Jump on in any time now.

PONYPULR
Jul. 8, 2001, 05:07 PM
HA HA HA!! You guys don't know how close you really are!!! You have almost the same name, and you used to look sort of alike!!! Good grief- that is so funny!!!

haligator
Jul. 8, 2001, 06:00 PM
Okay Debbie aka Gold Dust,
If we're actually going to have a 1977 Wilson Tech Horse Care reunion, we need to organize. Shall we become co-chairs of this endeavor? Perhaps we can shoot for July 2002 - that gives us a year to round everybody up and drive ourselves crazy. Shall we be partners in this scheme? Maybe we could rent a bus which could break down on the LIE.....

And, somebody tell me quick - did/do GiddyUp and I look alike? Do we know each other? This is driving me crazy.

Semper Eadem,
Hallie McEvoy

Giddyup2
Jul. 9, 2001, 07:03 AM
That's when I took that course. Ted brought in a "Whistle" snaffle that Ruffian used to use. Said he changed his last name when he divorced...for "legal" matters...yah...sure. Miss Lee used to scare me. Ponypuler brought my horse to the final Wilson Tech show....and we won...much to Miss Lee's disappointment!

Ponypuler.....Do I DARE put a photo of me here? You think Hallie and I look alike? Oh gawd....maybe that's too scarey! Funny about our names, huh?

Churchontime? I read a couple of articles some time ago about your/the Country Fair (?) group who bought a couple of TB's! In the Pedlar? OH MY! That's YOU!

Gold Dust
Jul. 9, 2001, 07:10 AM
I won at the final horseshow also riding Sandman and MissLee was not too happy with me either. She hated Harry and loved to take it out on me! Janet,snuck in a ringer in'76!lol
Hallie-when are you judging down here again? We could chat about it then!

backinthesaddle
Jul. 9, 2001, 07:49 AM
Setpoint - Bunny French
Smile Awhile - Don Callahan

haligator
Jul. 9, 2001, 08:57 AM
Hiya Gold Dust,
I will be judging on Long Island for Mrs. Rice once this month and once in August. By the way, should we include Wilson Tech graduates from 1976 and 1978 also?

Okay, GiddyUp - please e-mail me! You can get my address off my profile. Yep, I'm the one who wrote about Churchontime in The Pedlar. So, are our names similar?

Semper Eadem,
Hallie McEvoy

Lucassb
Jul. 9, 2001, 11:09 AM
We must have practically passed each other in the night at PenMor... I worked there (for Penny) a couple of summers in '80, '81 (?) Mostly I worked in the broodmare barn up top which I liked except for the fact that Cal (?) who I had a BIG crush on worked mostly on the track and in the lower barn. I am trying hard to remember the other guy who worked in the breeding barn with us - tall and thin, with black curly hair. He got married the last summer I worked there... I am pretty sure his name was Paul...

I also remember driving Mr. Binn's sports cars around the farm and to the deli (I boasted for years that I learned to drive a stick in one of those Lotus Esprits that he had!)

Does anyone else remember Daisy Welle's mare Auspicious? And Juliann Huegel's horse Worth Avenue?? Both showed successfully in the jr. hunters on those great outside courses we had back then! Juli's mom owned the tack store in Cold Spring Harbor for a while... I *loved* that place!!

Giddyup2
Jul. 9, 2001, 11:41 AM
Ohhh.....I remember a good looking carpenter/handyman guy with dark hair....drove a red International p/u....started seeing and maybe married....Judy (?) the woman who managed the broodmare barn when I finally left in 1981. Is this who you are talking about?

PONYPULR
Jul. 9, 2001, 12:00 PM
What the hell was Wilson Tech anyway? Is it still in existance? I don't remember taking anyone to a Wilson Tech horse show, but apparently I did- Where was it?

Giddyup2
Jul. 9, 2001, 12:21 PM
It was sortof a technical school. The equestrian division/branch was held at the Thomas School. Remember bringing Josh and Robbie (I think) to it? I remember you schooling me (but being careful of the politics) cuz Miss Lee didn't want anything to do me. She even made a snide remark to me when Josh dropped a rail during warmup.

Gold Dust
Jul. 9, 2001, 02:18 PM
His name was Rich and he did marry Judy the breeding barn manager butI heard they divorced shortly after. Lucassb do I know you?
Hallie, we should include many years because I doubt we could get too many to come together in the same place. If they are horse people now they will not be able to leave the barn LOL

haligator
Jul. 9, 2001, 02:53 PM
Hi,
GiddyUp - there is a certain cheerful resemblance between us - except I outweigh you by about 50 pounds. We have the same cheeks and same smile.

Gold Dust - yep, it will be hard to get everyone together because of the horse equation. Maybe we could plan the get-together around the 2002 Hampton Classic or the Beldame Stakes at Belmont. That way, some people would be at those locations anyway.

Another remember when....does anyone remember when Anne Weiss' horse got hit by a taxicab outside of Madison Square Garden right before the finals? Is this something I imagined or did it really happen?

Wilson Tech was a high school 'tech' program where you attended for half a day everyday of the week. Gold Dust and I graduated from the 1977 P.M. program in Horse Care/Management. When we went there, the program was at Thomas' on Round Swamp Road. It later moved to the Knoll Farm in Brentwood. Does anyone know - does the Horse Care Program still exist?

Semper Eadem,
Hallie McEvoy

deleyer
Jul. 10, 2001, 05:40 AM
I may have not been around in 70's but I do have to say it sounds like you all have some good times and laughs. I guess you can say they were the Good Old Days!!!! Keep up the good story telling everyone!!! And Deb you probably have a whole lot more to talk about!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lucassb
Jul. 10, 2001, 08:31 AM
Gold Dust, I wonder if we *do* know each other!! And Giddyup, the handyman I remember did have dark hair and was very cute (looked at old photo last night to confirm <wink> ) but I don't think his name was Rich... that must have been someone else. I also remembered that he was a big tennis player - can't think why I remember that!!! I do remember Judy though!!

Do either of you remember Mrs. Binn (continually) wrecking her Corniche convertible!?!??

Gold Dust
Jul. 10, 2001, 10:15 AM
Are you kidding. She wrecked that car more then we abused the farm vehicles!!!!

Lucassb- I always worked in the layup barn by the office. I drove a blue pick-up, with roses etched on the windows!

Lucassb
Jul. 10, 2001, 10:49 AM
I remember the blue pickup!!!!

I am trying to remember what I drove back then. It was either a brown Jeep Cherokee and after that I got a gray Audi 5000...

Mrs Binn WAS a terror driving!!!

Giddyup2
Jul. 10, 2001, 11:35 AM
It was a new barn and had a mixture of layups and weanlings/yearlings (which we readied for the Saratoga Sales).

I remember Daniel Wildenstein and his wife coming to view a few of their horses with his trainer Angel Penna. Anyone read about the Wildensteins? Holy moley!

Gold Dust....wasn't Turnbuckle and Peon in your barn? I remember Peon being bar-fired (ugh!) and used as a teaser (poor guy). I remember a pretty gray filly in that barn who died of colic. They (Clark?) dragged the body out the back door and sliced her open to do the autopsy (GAG!).

[This message was edited by Giddyup2 on Jul. 10, 2001 at 01:44 PM.]

Giddyup2
Jul. 10, 2001, 11:43 AM
I worked for a while up in the breeding barn. Well, being the newbie I was appointed to "collect" the semen after Seat of Power finished covering a mare to check the amount of swimmers he had. Uhhh....okay. The next day I had in my lunch box....a pepperoni! Yes...a whole pepperoni!!! I never heard the end of that one! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gold Dust
Jul. 11, 2001, 12:49 PM
Peon was a PEON. He was bar fired and let me tell you that horse legs looked like a road map!!!I forget the name of the mare but yes I helped with the autopsy on her. I remember the night watchman thought she was sleeping and fixed her blanket when she was down!!! He told me how quiet she had been all night! Duh!!!!! Turnbuckle was another lovely one to rub on! Bite you as soon look at you!

Kryswyn
Jul. 11, 2001, 08:54 PM
Would the mare that died have been dragged out and covered with pretty plaid cooler? All the top doors of the stalls were closed on the barn she was in front of? I never saw her uncovered, just remember thinking as I drove to work that day, "Hmmmm what an odd place to leave a lumpy cooler...." BINGO - light bulb!

With in a week of that, the gate to the big front pasture was left open and many of the mares and foals got out and ran around the farm. I think one or two got out on 25A but were caught unharmed. This was late August,early September 1980. I was in the broodmare barn for only two weeks as I decided my father had paid WAY too much for me (& the horse) to go to college to make $150 for a 6 day week.

~Kryswyn~

Gold Dust
Jul. 12, 2001, 08:02 AM
That would of been her. She was in front of the quarantine barn! And can you believe you are correct,that is what a starting salary was back then.Man have times changed!!!!

Lucassb
Jul. 12, 2001, 09:58 AM
my Dad was hysterical that I would do that job for "no money!" But I loved it (well, most of the time... that was my first experience with bedding on straw and it did take a little getting used to!)

Gold Dust
Jul. 12, 2001, 05:58 PM
I remember after I left racetrack world and came back to the show horses I thought how funny the shavings looked. Now I would hate doing a straw stall. Actually I noticed a couple of years ago at the Marshall Sterling finals some barns were using straw. It is much cleaner and easier to dispose of. Mushroom farmers take it off your hands for free!

Giddyup2
Jul. 12, 2001, 07:48 PM
Yes....remember those big trucks coming into Penor to get the used straw bedding? Did they haul it to PA? I hated doing the broodmare stalls....I didn't work much up in the breeding barn....but I did learn a lot while up there.

Funny thing....when I moved to New Hampshire (from NY) I went to Rockingham Race Track once. Sure enough there was a beautifully filly running....by Seat of Power by Raise The Issue!

Gold Dust...was that you who tattled on me when Reimbursement broke loose from me a couple of times when I was trying to walk him in the paddock next to the training track (as part of his recovery)? Ya know....I think it was!! You little........!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Kryswyn
Jul. 12, 2001, 09:33 PM
The manager of the broodmare barn must have thought I was worse than useless. Never got good at doing a straw stall. 21 years later and I STILL don't understand where all that urine is supposed to go....

We had lots of sick babies that summer. 3 or 4 were on the Numinzer (sp?) and one, called Eeewe Eeewe (after the noise she made) was an orphan /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif who had gotten a nurse mom, but I later learned she broke her leg and was put down a few months after I left.

~Kryswyn~

Kryswyn
Jul. 12, 2001, 09:37 PM
had the b/w paint pony *subtle paint* /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif called Fudge Ripple. Whatever happened to her?

I recently connected with Miss Dale from Jericho School of Horsemanship, who turns out to be the writer DALE LEATHERMAN whom I've read for ages! Each time I'd see her byline, I'd think: I had a riding instructor named Dale....Wonder what her last name is!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Small World!

~Kryswyn~

PONYPULR
Jul. 13, 2001, 07:15 AM
I think Anna Louise Lipman rode Fudge Ripple.

PONYPULR
Jul. 13, 2001, 07:22 AM
I know she's out there lurking!! She would have lots of 70's horses to talk about!! How about Charlemagne and Court Jester? Devil's Deciple? Batchlor Buttons?? Com'on Jane, give us some names!!!

PONYPULR
Jul. 13, 2001, 07:24 AM
How about Greek Cousin?? How weird was his jumping style?!!

Gold Dust
Jul. 13, 2001, 12:56 PM
How about Kathy Shelke[now Hamry]and Toby. Edwina Cousins Dutch Tide!

Giddyup. If you remeber I was the type of person to say it right to your face. Old age has not changed me either.LOL Actually, I was in charge of all the layups and I did notlike them being hand walked there because as soon as I got them sound, when they gotloose we had to start all over again. Jose Martin was the trainer of Reimbursed and he held me responsible for all of his horses and he was not easy to please!!!! I wound up working for his Dad at the track,Pancho, and he was no walk in the park either!!! So,no giddyup, not,me. I would of bit**** right at ya!!!! and I do remember liking working with you so you were not on my hit list LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Remi and me
Aug. 13, 2001, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the great memories! Anyone remember
Harry Wisenfeld and his horses -Accutron, 18 KT,Diamond Cutter, Diamond Earrings and the horse Neal Shapiro rode - Cameo?
Does anyone know what ever happened to Bobby Quinn and his horse Lancer's Jewel which Mary Rintoul rode in the ami hunters? How about James Rintoul and his pony Dr. Pepper who was ridden by both Patrick Rice and then Ann Louise Lippman when he out grew him. Jerry and Ellen Parahow - upperbrook farms in Brookville near Roche's Brookville Boarding Stable - where did they move to?
Great times and great memories - Boy am I old.

Giddyup2
Aug. 13, 2001, 10:51 AM
Yes! Lancers Jewel! I used to drool when I saw that horse. I loved that horse...stallion, wasn't he? Mary R. rode another horse that looked similar to him but I can't remember the horses name.

Accutron....wasn't he a solid chestnut stallion that CH rode? If this is the same horse....I remember when Accutron had to stand in line (after trot out?) and he'd get all excited and get a *woody* and start screaming. CH would actually kick Accutron's enlarged winky to try to get him to put it away!!!!! Yeeeeouch! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

PONYPULR
Aug. 13, 2001, 11:10 AM
I see James Rintoul occasionally as his dad lives down the block from me. He is still into horses, primarily race horses- his dad and wife Eileen do lay-ups.

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose."

Remi and me
Aug. 14, 2001, 12:28 PM
Hey Giddyup2! Accutron was a little chestnut stallion with absolutely no manners at all. CH rode him a few times in working hunters - sue ford rode him in greens.Someone else in amis. The colt had to have two people walking him to and from the ingate because he was so raunchy! Lancers' Jewel on the other hand was dead quiet for a colt. Robert Hoskins rode him in working. This colt used to like to drink ice tea after a round!

Ponypulr - thanks for the info on JR - I guess it's hard for me to imagine him as anything but the little kid I knew him as.
What happened to Lancers Jewel (AKA "Herbie"). /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Remi and me
Aug. 14, 2001, 12:32 PM
Forgot to put in last post - Giddyup2 - Mary R rode a TB horse called Johnny's pockets that Bobby Quinn bought and resold to a student of Robert Hoskins.
Can't believe I can remember this stuff from so long ago but can't remeber where I left my car keys last night. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

munchies
Jan. 13, 2002, 06:46 PM
Johnny's in TX doing pretty well. Another old (and I use that term carefully) LIer, Walter Bickmann, has him ride his jumpers and greenies occasionally when they meet at a show in Louisiana.

Isn't it great fun to remember all the oldies?! That must make most of us one of "them", eh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I heard Johnnie got kicked out of Texas dont know where he is now

Gold Dust
Jan. 13, 2002, 06:50 PM
Doing fine with wife and 2 lovely children. Send your apologies now befor the de Leyer girls jump all over you !! lol

munchies
Jan. 13, 2002, 06:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gold Dust:
Doing fine with wife and 2 lovely children. Send your apologies now befor the de Leyer girls jump all over you !! lol<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really cause I live in Oklahoma and had asked many people if they knew him and they all told me the same thing that he kinda got kicked out of Texas !! I spent many a summer with him and his family and I remember the year Johnny stole all of Harrys Hermes saddles and sold them. I also remember them breaking into boarders tack trunks and selling items !! I am sure he has grown up alot since than but as I said he has never been to any of our BIGGER Ok horse shows and when asked about him that was what I was told. What part of Texas is he in , do you know ?

munchies
Jan. 13, 2002, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deleyer:
I may have not been around in 70's but I do have to say it sounds like you all have some good times and laughs. I guess you can say they were the Good Old Days!!!! Keep up the good story telling everyone!!! And Deb you probably have a whole lot more to talk about!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you one of the Deleyers or did you marry into the DeLeyer family ?

Gold Dust
Jan. 13, 2002, 07:13 PM
He lives in a town called[don't laugh] Tomball and his christmas card did not get returned to me so I assume they still live there! lol And yes, I remember those times when he was a young tadpole and he has grown up to be a fine young man! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gold Dust
Jan. 13, 2002, 07:19 PM
de Leyer and Gold dust both married in to the family. DeLeyer is married to Andre, Gold dust is married to Marty.

Reginapony
Jan. 13, 2002, 09:34 PM
Anybody from Nassua B.O.C.E.S. Large Animal Care? I was there from 1974 to 1976.

I also worked at PenMor Farms the summer of 1979. I worked at Gamboling Farms the fall of 1980.

My horse is presently at Brookville Farms on Round Swamp Road (RT 107), south of 25A. I also kept him at Gamboling Farms, then called Norwich Riding Center, from 1990 to 1994.

My memory is not to sharp. I hope to wake up other COTH BB's memories.

*Endurance Rider Wannabee!*

JinxyFish313
Jan. 13, 2002, 10:01 PM
gamboling as in wat is now "calumet"?

i stayed up 2 read this whole thread- its great! how bout recalling some fond memories from the 80s and early 90s?? id love 2 hear more!!

http://radiofinderizer.net/cgi-bin/columbia.cgi?sf=1&s=yes&u=infamous3136&a=Nas

[This message was edited by SlimShady8661 on Jan. 14, 2002 at 12:48 AM.]

Remi and me
Jan. 14, 2002, 07:31 AM
I worked at Penmor and Gamboling in the mid- 70's
too! I boarded at Brookville Boarding Stable on Cedar Swamp Rd during the 70's when the Roach family owned it.I rode with Jimmy Miller and Louis deLavelette there. I moved to VT in '80 but I bet we crossed paths a few times.

ccoronios
Jan. 14, 2002, 08:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I see James Rintoul occasionally as his dad lives down the block from me. He is still into horses, primarily race horses- his dad and wife Eileen do lay-ups. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this out near Medford? I think I may know Eileen from a million years ago.

OK - trivia - what was the name of Jane Pflug's AO horse?

PONYPULR
Jan. 14, 2002, 08:11 AM
You have no idea what you've started!!

"I can't drive....55!!!!" Sammy Hagar

PineTreeFarm
Jan. 14, 2002, 01:27 PM

OK - trivia - what was the name of Jane Pflug's AO horse?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Face Value

deleyer
Jan. 14, 2002, 02:22 PM
Yes John D. is still in Texas, he is actually building a new home on his property, we talked to him last nite and his area code hasnt changed so, I hope I put that rumor to rest to where his where abouts are. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

HEFARM
Jan. 14, 2002, 06:13 PM
didn't james rintoul get married? does he still work in tire store? i thought he moved into his parents house near deer park ave? anyway i purchased a very cool young horse from him and his dad who is currently 18 years old retired and living very happily at my parents home in florida i showed him on long island, then my daughter showed him and when we moved to florida he was one of my first school horses at my new farm!! great horse!!

HEFARM
Jan. 14, 2002, 06:28 PM
hey gold dust i met i believe the oldest deleyer son in florida a few months back quite by accident we were horse hunting for customers and stumbled over our background on long island - also saw jerry levitt there too- meanwhile i am not sure you will remember me i rode for awhile with hugh gormley on a horse named jackpot- i will always remember a very unpleasant show day riding friedus's unruly horses in syosset where the horse bulged out of the ingate and you were yelling to my defense give her another chance she's a mother and its mothers day!!!! still makes me laugh!!! anyway just wanted to say hi and anytime you are in wellingotn florida stop by out farm!!!

Gold Dust
Jan. 14, 2002, 08:10 PM
LINDA IS THAT YOU!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

CoolMeadows
Jan. 14, 2002, 09:43 PM
I trained (unfortunately, sorry to say) with CH in the mid 90's while he was in Virginia.

Last I heard, he was in NJ. If anyone knows where he is, please let me know. I carried a horse on the cuff while I was a junior until CH sold it. I didn't get any of my $ back, and worse the owner (who was also a high school friend) got nothing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Needless to say, her father is still looking for CH, and I'm still wondering why nobody told me (hey, I was just a kid!) that I was hooked up with an, um, well, less than stellar kind of guy!

He told people I had all kinds of money. I had people approaching me with $100K horses they wanted to sell me, and I'm thinking " jeez, I can't even spend more than 5 on a horse, what's going on??"

He sold my jumps and drank the money. He tried to sell my trailer, but I found out when someone called about it and put a stop to that! He tried to get me to sell my horse. On the one horse I owned that I had for sale, he wanted a 60% commission! He told everyone that the truck he drove sometimes was his, it was mine. He left me at various show grounds more than once with no transportation. I remember having to hitch a ride from Raleigh to my hotel with a very nice FLA pro one night. Eck, it just makes me so mad seeing his name again. What a creep! He had a website for a while, and had my horse's pix on for the longest time. I kept emailing the host of the site telling them that those pix were mine, and copyrighted, and that I wasn't associated with him and he didn't have permission to use them. They did finally take the pix down. Don't know if the site is still up, though.

But, this is a great thread and I just read the WHOLE thing! It sounds like LI was an awesome place, and probably still is. I wish we had that kind of close knit horse community here. We're working on it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

breezymeadow
Jan. 14, 2002, 10:03 PM
Wow. Just found this thread. What a blast from the past.

Born & raised on the Island. Can identify with nearly every post here!!!

Remember all the shows - particularly the North Shore Horse Show at Old Field, which then turned into Country Fair, etc. Don't know what it is now - last heard the County was taking it over.

Rode & showed at Smoke Run, as well as a lot of smaller barns that I know are no longer around. Also showed as a junior at Hollandia, to return later on in life as a boarder when Hollandia had turned into Fox Run & then Majestic. Rode with Pat & Chris Liens, John Wittenborn, & Frank Demarsico. Although I never formally "rode" with Erin Lynott (married now, I believe?) remember her fondly. Never rode with Marty DeLeyer, but he was always very nice to me - a timid adult rider - & one of my fondest memories of him was when I (& many others!!!) had finally had enough of Majestic politics, he kindly trucked my horse out of there to another barn for me gratis. I'll never forget him for that. Used to ride with Anne Marie early in the mornings as well. It used to be just the two of us in the indoor most of the time - sometimes joined by that very nice elderly woman (senility setting in - can't remember her name) who had the 2 hunters & rode with Marty (& died in a foxhunting accident in Ireland).

Remember Joey Collura, who was always a wild man - but always willing to help out in a pinch - as well as Timmy Poole - my shoer for many years until moving down here!!

Good Lord, I could go on infinitum!!! Now I won't be able to get to sleep thinking about all of this!! You guys!!! One thing I can say for sure is that I KNOW that none of the good folks I knew & rode with on Long Island would ever believe that I am now into sporthorse breeding down here in VA!! I can think of several who would probably fall over backward in a dead faint to think of timid little me teaching a stubborn, strapping, rearing, huge young yearling to lead & tie, etc. LOL!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

deleyer
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:17 AM
I was wondering too, are you Linda? Oh my god I remember Kevin Igoo was was also with Hugh and you, of course if you are Linda? LOL
I am Chris, Andre's wife, small world huh? Well looking forward to your reponse to see if we are talking about the right person here. Hope so!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

deleyer
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:21 AM
The women you foxhaunted with who passed away in Ireland was Deanne Keegan!!! Nice women she was.
Deb you can fill Breezy in about Erin! This thread has become very popular, I think its great! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

breezymeadow
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:41 AM
That's right - Deanne - or "Dee", as we used to call her. Thanks de Leyer for the brain nudge.

Also woke up in the middle of the night remembering that Erin Lynott became Erin Stockman before I moved down here - is that still so? Understand that "Majestic" (aka Fox Run, Hollandia, etc.) has changed hands/management again? Who's in there now? Enquiring former Long Islanders want to know!!

PONYPULR
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:23 AM
He is married, and still at the tire place. But he comes out to help his dad at the farm every morning. Dave married Eileen Artego and the 2 of them are in the lay-up business.

And Ms. Cool---
Everyone has their CH stories, trust me.

"I can't drive....55!!!!" Sammy Hagar

Gold Dust
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deleyer:
Deb you can fill Breezy in about Erin! great! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABSOLUTLY NOT! PULEEEEEEEEEEZ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

I've Got a Secret
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:32 AM
Who is CH referred to above?

ccoronios
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dave married Eileen Artego <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew her YEARS before she was "Artego". In fact, a couple years ago, someone here gave me her phone #, which I passed on to my best friend, who also used to work with her. They've been in touch.

This is such a fun thread - I've been off LI for years now and don't remember many of the names (some are much more recent) - but some just 'boing' into my brain. Great fun.

Thank you, pinetreefarm, for name. He was the epitome of an AO horse, in my mind.

Remi and me
Jan. 15, 2002, 10:39 AM
Okay, but what ever happened to Mary Rintoul?

breezymeadow
Jan. 15, 2002, 12:12 PM
Oh come on Gold Dust - PULEEEEEEEEEZE? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

breezymeadow
Jan. 15, 2002, 04:00 PM
I was also "in-&-out" of "Fancy Acres" in Yaphank - next to Joyce P's. They were just starting up when I was there & really didn't have a clue re: boarding except where it applied to Standardbred racers.

What happened there? I heard that the Pepe's left & someone took the place over. Enquiring ex-Long Islanders want to know!

HEFARM
Jan. 15, 2002, 08:06 PM
hi deb and chris yes its me linda!! we are down in wellington florida now, my daughter melissa is 17years old CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? she rides with geoff teal does the equitation, junior hunters and junior jumpers wants to be a professional and stay with geoff and james lala we have a very cool farm on 12 acres covered arena, jumping ring and jump field dressage ring cool place- after my second divorce(not too good at the married thing) i got a job with norman dellojoio teaching his adults and occasional beginners here in florida met an adult amatuer lady just getting into the riding stuff after a year or two we got together and bought this place our website is www.happyendingsfarm.com (http://www.happyendingsfarm.com) we do alot of lessons,camps and stuff i travel most of the summer doing shows with melissa and some students LIFE IS GREAT!! i have read so much of this thread its really fun to see what everyone is up to although there are so many i do not know i still visit penny from cw post occasionally,(say jerry chasin riding past me last week) and of course see lisa rex etc when everyone is here in florida sounds like you both are very involved in long island politics!! kevin igoe was married and living in s.carolina? i think worked some for holly hugo vidal - have not seen him in forever- love remembering my hughie days but i am much happier with melissa's more sophisticated training with geoff- tell everyone i know hello!!

deleyer
Jan. 16, 2002, 06:05 AM
I cant believe the people you bump into on these threads from time to time. Well it sounds like things are going real well for you and Melissa and of course your farm looks great!!
Andre and I are having our first children in Early June, "I am having twins" so things are very exciting on this end as well. We have the farm in East Hampton have a good business and our home is right on the property as well so Andre' still can help out with some of the feedings. LOL
SO I guess Kevin doesnt work for Allen Chesler anymore huh? I really do like Kevin he always had us laughing, nice guy! Well now that I know who you are now I will keep in touch from time to time, good luck in Florida!! Stay in touch. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gold Dust
Jan. 16, 2002, 08:25 AM
Great to hear from you! I cann't believe Melissa is 17. Man I feel old. I am going to check your web site now. Be back!!

Munchie- Dump some mail. My e-mail to you came back . Your mailbox is full.!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To Remain Anonymous
Jan. 16, 2002, 03:50 PM
Breezy-
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was also "in-&-out" of "Fancy Acres" in Yaphank - next to Joyce P's. They were just starting up when I was there & really didn't have a clue re: boarding except where it applied to Standardbred racers.
What happened there? I heard that the Pepe's left & someone took the place over. Enquiring ex-Long Islanders want to know!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif It is now owned by Country Motors. A husband and wife run it and they don't have a clue either! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

HEFARM
Jan. 16, 2002, 08:25 PM
well kevin has not been with alan for awhile worked for a short bit here in florida before leaving for holly's alan owns a farm here in wellington but also moved back to canada does alot for frankie who of course does the grand prix stuff she also has her own website www.frankiechesler.com (http://www.frankiechesler.com) they adopted a baby sherry and alan that is a few years back these days they spend winters in ocala- easier to win grand prix money however i heard from the peirre jolicuer that frankie would like to make the canadian team seems she should be here competing if you ask me! congrats on babies chris ITS ABOUT TIME lol you will love it you think horses are hard work!! however i am very happy living my dreams thru melissa (she rides alot better than me!!!) stay in touch guys! anytime you are near here look us up!!

tbdressage
Jan. 17, 2002, 02:23 PM
Boy this thread brings back some memories! I was at BOCES Lg Animal Care in Westbury in '74-76... Do you remember Mr. Ardito, Mr. Rabinowitz, Mr. Wier(sp?) How about some of the horses...Gem, Chief Airy Bubbles, Blacky,....
I rode in my first horse show at Babylon(early, early 70's) ,I rode a horse named Frosty ,who my friend, Tammy, later bought and renamed Spartacus. She boarded him there for years.I used to love a horse named Mr. Chips.The ex-jockey was an Irish guy who used to drink like a fish! Mr. Murry. He later went to Bethpage Stables. DOes anyone remember the horses from Bethpage? Elmer J. Fudd, King, Retzle. Park and Bethpage were run by the Les Myers for a while and the horses were always going back and forth. I took my first dressage lesson on my horse there from Terri Miller( the now- fabulous horse show photographer and artist) cost me $5! I still have a t-shirt that she painted of my pony.
Thomas- I remember Bombay, First Mate, Misty, Cold Duck.... That place was freezing in the winter! We used to ride our horses up Round Swamp Road to get to the horse shows. Do you remember the great outside course at Thomas for the hunters? How about the outside course for the Nassau/Suffolk Show at Old Mill Farm?
Does anyone remember the Pegusas Farm Horse Show series?
I worked for Hugh Cassidy for a few years at his private barn near Rice Farms. We had a couple of super jr hunters in the barn. Applause and a mare named , Casual.
I worked at North Shore Equestrian Center at CW Post for a while.(Before they added on the indoor and new stalls) I remember Michael Zuckerman was a student of Eddie Horowitz. (Who I remember from Thomas!)He had a super old schoolmaster named Lyndon Hall.
The Saddle Shop-still have my custom chaps that Jodie measured me for! She is at Soth SAlem SAddlery now
I boarded at Melody for a while.Right when Joan took it over. I do remember a little paint named ,Daisy. HAving a brain f$%&t on the horses there! Great thread!

ccoronios
Jan. 18, 2002, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I rode in my first horse show at Babylon(early, early 70's) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you take lessons at Babylon? I taught there in '68 - '69. There's another BBer who rode there at about the same time - we're sure I must have taught her, but can't quite put the face on each other.

Remi and me
Jan. 18, 2002, 12:46 PM
I worked at Bethpage as an instructor in '77 and '78. I also have the tee shirt that I got from Terri Miller of a horse I owned at the time.
I rode Bombay before he was sold to Thomas's. He was a great Jr. hunter horse. I rode at Thomas's in the late 60's - loved their summer camp.
Great memories! Aren't we so lucky to have them! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ccoronios
Jan. 18, 2002, 01:25 PM
I've indulged myself in a few weekends of Creative Memories scrapbooking (introduced by a former student from SC! - yeah, Wildewood!) - and I'm having such fun with great memories from summer camps (Kiniya) and horses! Since I have no kids, I'm not sure who will give a rat's patootie about it other than me, but I'm having fun!

Reginapony
Jan. 25, 2002, 08:45 PM
I was at BOCES the same time you were there. You forgot about Mrs. Greenfield. I was the one who hit two cars with the tractor at SUNY Farmingdale. I think my classmates remember that incident better then the fact that I was awarded outstanding student in Standardbred.

By the way, one of my horse's Veterinarians went to BOCES 1975-77.

Send me an e-mail if you want. Unfortunitly I don't remember much about High School, and my brain is sort of fried after 10 years of activily fighting breast cancer.