PDA

View Full Version : A NEW "Calypso" update - 1/24/03

lauriep
Dec. 9, 2002, 12:53 PM
For anyone that remembers the great Calypso:

Syd went to visit Melanie in October, during Buck's clinic, and got to visit the old man. It had been 2 (?) years since she had seen him; I have a picture of that visit that I have posted here before - he looked like a sway backed Thelwell pony.

Melanie had prepared Syd for a change, as he is now 29. Syd said he has lost most of his teeth, and the summer was hard on him with the heat and fighting the flies. He was definitely thinner than on her last visit, but far from emaciated. Hip bones showed, but not overly "ribby."

Melanie said he picked up once the weather cooled off and the flies flew. She very much wants him to make it to his 30th birthday. I'll find out when that is and we can have a virtual celebration.

Anyhow, thought you might be interested!

Laurie

[This message was edited by lauriep on Dec. 15, 2002 at 09:03 AM.]

[This message was edited by lauriep on Jan. 24, 2003 at 09:15 AM.]

[This message was edited by lauriep on Jan. 24, 2003 at 03:04 PM.]

lauriep
Dec. 9, 2002, 12:53 PM
For anyone that remembers the great Calypso:

Syd went to visit Melanie in October, during Buck's clinic, and got to visit the old man. It had been 2 (?) years since she had seen him; I have a picture of that visit that I have posted here before - he looked like a sway backed Thelwell pony.

Melanie had prepared Syd for a change, as he is now 29. Syd said he has lost most of his teeth, and the summer was hard on him with the heat and fighting the flies. He was definitely thinner than on her last visit, but far from emaciated. Hip bones showed, but not overly "ribby."

Melanie said he picked up once the weather cooled off and the flies flew. She very much wants him to make it to his 30th birthday. I'll find out when that is and we can have a virtual celebration.

Anyhow, thought you might be interested!

Laurie

[This message was edited by lauriep on Dec. 15, 2002 at 09:03 AM.]

[This message was edited by lauriep on Jan. 24, 2003 at 09:15 AM.]

[This message was edited by lauriep on Jan. 24, 2003 at 03:04 PM.]

Janet
Dec. 9, 2002, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the info- it si good to know he is still around and enjoying retirement.

Flashy Gray
Dec. 9, 2002, 01:05 PM
Gosh, I can't believe that Calypso is 29! I count myself as a huge fan, saw him go "in person" at Ox Ridge in the early 80s.

Laurie - what was his breeding again - Lucky Boy? And for those of us not in the know, I assume that Syd was his groom? When was she with him? Great stories, please /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif !

Every time I think of the "Horse of a Lifetime" column that Melanie did a year or so ago in COTH on him I get weepy. Keep us updated on his 30th!

Maybe we could all make a COTH BB contribution to a charity in his name on the occasion of his 30th Birthday!

lauriep
Dec. 9, 2002, 01:13 PM
He put Lucky Boy on the map!

Syd was his groom both at Stillmeadow, and later at Windrush. She went with him to the '84 Olympics. Although Radnor was Syd's favorite of all time (he was given to Syd when he retired), Calypso certainly gave her many of her most memorable moments and made Melanie a formidable international competitor.

I think it would be great to do something in honor of his 30th. I'll ocntact Melanie and find out when it is and get some ideas for what she might like us to do.

I'll also start accumulating some pictures of him, in addition to the few I have, and we'll do a 30th birthday pictorial to honor him!

Laurie

findeight
Dec. 9, 2002, 01:17 PM
Thank you so much for posting.

Nice to know this early idol of mine is alive and well cared for. Can't wait to see the pics.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

BBowen
Dec. 9, 2002, 01:22 PM
What a great horse. I hope he is comfortable. I know Melanie has taken only best of care with him. I own a Lucky Boy granddaughter, and I just love to say my horse is related to Calypso.

Becky

Dementia 13
Dec. 9, 2002, 02:00 PM
Thank you Laurie. I am all weepy now, thinking of him. sniff.

HN73
Dec. 9, 2002, 02:01 PM
Oh goodness, I'm an oldie.

"Its not the years, its the mileage." -Indiana Jones

Anyplace Farm
Dec. 9, 2002, 02:12 PM
I'm an oldie too!

Loved the Melanie/Calypso team.

``````````````````````````````
"Life ain't certain...ride your best horse first." Unknown

*Founding member of the Jigging Clique*

rocky213
Dec. 9, 2002, 05:30 PM
Who is your Lucky Boy granddaughter by?

I have one too. My girl is by Olympus by Lucky Boy. I don't know much about him or any other Olympus offspring.

Wow, I didn't know that Calypso was by Lucky Boy. Wow, she is related to some famous relatives!!

agedbayhunter
Dec. 9, 2002, 05:46 PM
Oldie here, too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Thanks for the update: he's a favorite!

horselesswonder
Dec. 9, 2002, 06:22 PM
Oh my goodness, when - how - did I become an oldie?

Thanks for the update! It would be fantastic if he made it to 30. I remember reading about them in PH when I started getting into horses, and a picture of Melanie, who was showing Calypso at the time, in the book Show Rider (one of my all-time faves).

canyonoak
Dec. 9, 2002, 06:28 PM
wahhhhh,Im an oldie too!

what a wonderful horse..I do so hope we get to have a celebration of his 30th b-day.

A Splash of Color
Dec. 9, 2002, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the update from yet another oldie. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif They were a fantastic team.

Hexel
Dec. 9, 2002, 06:35 PM
Another oldie here ,wow how time flies.
I remember Calypso those were good times with some grand horses. Thanks for sharing Laurie hoping we can celebrate his 30th.

Melzy
Dec. 9, 2002, 07:16 PM
Count me in as one of the oldies also. I have a photo of them winning at Commonwealth Park. Sorry, I don't have a scanner. I hope he makes it until 30 only if he's comfortable. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lord Helpus
Dec. 9, 2002, 07:43 PM
We all know that I am an oldie from those days in the early 80's, don't we Laurie?

Nice to know the old boy is still out there. Many of the grand horses from that era are gone by now...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I lied. Horses ARE my whole life. I have no other life at all.....

Silly Mommy
Dec. 9, 2002, 07:57 PM
When we were kids, and "played horses", I always had to be Calypso. OK, so I was a teenager playing horses. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Proud member of the Sunnieflax Clique, IDAC Clique /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
"Poster formerly known as SQW"

BBowen
Dec. 9, 2002, 08:54 PM
My mare, Fan Dancer, is by Sir Barry by Lucky Boy. She is out of a TB mare, All Night Long. Sir Barry is still alive and well in Ohio at the age of 27. My mare is doing lower level eventing with me, but prior to me she had a career in hunter/jumpers -- did quite a bit of showing at Devon and FL.

Tell me about your horse. It is always nice to hear about other horses from the Lucky Boy line.

Becky

thecowboyway
Dec. 10, 2002, 05:51 AM
I remember him at the International Jumping Derby, a million years ago. He was just outrageous. I can't believe he's 29, where does the time go??

Bumpkin
Dec. 10, 2002, 06:30 AM
Thank you for the update.
Of course a 30th Birthday party is in order.

You know Calypso was Starman's real name, but because of Calypso already competing they changed Starman's name to Starman /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just a little side note. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies Clique" Bora Da

drifting cloud
Dec. 10, 2002, 06:38 AM
I remember Calypso! Such a pretty bay with a handsome blaze. He & Melanie were a great team.

I remember seeing one picture of them where they were jumping some large jump and Calypso had his ears pinned back. He looked SO determined! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!"

Tackpud
Dec. 10, 2002, 07:10 AM
He's 29?!?!?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Boy I'm an Oldie too! Loved watching him and I'm glad to hear he's still with us. Let's have a big birthday party for him!

Lord Helpus
Dec. 10, 2002, 07:26 AM
About the rumor that the later "Lucky Boys" were not Lucky Boys at all, because he had become infertile. I am sure that Calypso WAS a Lucky Boy, but there were rumors that the final couple of crops alleged to be Lucky Boys, were actually sired by other stallions...

Did any one else ever hear this rumor?

easyjumper1
Dec. 10, 2002, 08:06 AM
No oldie here, but great to hear he's doing well.

Lord Helpus - I heard that too. It was Mr. Borghuis who did that. There were lawsuits and he even was put in jail for a few days. My parents were looking for a stallion to breed one of their mares to in those days, and visited him too. My mother remembers him as a bit of a dodgy guy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif He also had Jasper (Little One) back then I think, I'll have to ask.
It was a rumour that Lucky Boy didn't always feel like doing his "thing" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif , Mr. Borghuis didn't want to lose any money and just got another stallion to do the job.

------------------------------
"It takes a whole lot of 'attaboys to make up for one "you're a worthless little kid". - Dr. Phil

Court@HJ-OH
Dec. 10, 2002, 08:30 AM
Pretty Pic!! (http://www.showjumpinghalloffame.net/gfx/sjhf_inductees/m_smith_taylor2.jpg) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Courtney**

"I may not agree with what someone has to say, but I will die for their right to say it" every American

Flashy Gray
Dec. 10, 2002, 08:37 AM
Dumb question - was that photo at the '80 alternate games?

Coreene
Dec. 10, 2002, 09:45 AM
What a wonderful horse.

lauriep
Dec. 10, 2002, 09:54 AM
'84 Olympics in LA! I think!

Laurie

Linny
Dec. 10, 2002, 04:07 PM
WOW, I can't believe he's that old. Of course I can't believe I'M tis old either. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the update on Calypso. I saw him two or three times and was in awe of him (and Melanie) each time.

Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Resident racing historian

lauriep
Dec. 11, 2002, 06:34 AM
I had sent her the link to this thread and she thinks it is pretty neat for you all to remember the old man.

I am trying to convince her to send me some pictures to scan and post. Keep your fingers crossed!

Laurie

867-5309
Dec. 11, 2002, 02:05 PM
LP you have the best pictorical footage, looking forward to it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

poltroon
Dec. 11, 2002, 02:10 PM
Melanie and Calypso are my all-time favorite SJ pair. I wish I could still buy a copy of the '84 Olympic coverage - ABC did a great job, and I remember the excitement of watching the team jumping!

I am glad to hear he is having a nice retirement!

luv2jump
Dec. 11, 2002, 04:39 PM
My friend has a beautiful 2' bronze sculpture of Melanie and Calypso jumping from the Oympics - I believe the artist did 7 of them . It is truly breathtaking to see- I google over it every time I visit!
Luv2Jump

bcrider
Dec. 11, 2002, 08:53 PM
I have a Lucky Boy granddaughter too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif She is by Titan, a Lucky Boy son who was a World Cup level jumper in the early 90s. He's in his early 20s now. My mare is only 3, but has the most gentle, puppy dog temperament. By the way, if you want to tell people about other famous relatives, your horses are related to Leslie Howard's S'Blieft. Tell me more about your horses! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bcrider

lauriep
Dec. 12, 2002, 06:36 AM
Can you take a picture of it and post it here for all of us to enjoy? We would love to see it!

If you don't have a scanner, contact me and maybe we can figure something out!

lpitts@hsc.edu

Laurie

rocky213
Dec. 12, 2002, 07:32 AM
Check out this website to see some of the lists of Lucky Boy offspring. http://www.ping.be/htl2/brownboy/#pedigree

You have to scroll down a bit to see it, but it lists most of the offspring of LB. I don't know how updated it is though, it seems kind of old.

monstrpony
Dec. 12, 2002, 07:43 AM
He was always one of my favorites, they were such a great pair! He always had so much life and enthusiasm in his "work". Glad to hear he's had a long and happy retirement (one would have expected no less, of course) and that he's still with us. Hope he makes it to 30, and we should definitely celebrate!

luv2jump
Dec. 12, 2002, 10:00 AM
Laurie - I will sue try. I have no scanner - no digital camera - a neophyte here. She may have a photo I can use and take to my sisters next week and get scanned. It is truly beautiful and its in her will for me to get it!! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Luv2Jump!

lauriep
Dec. 12, 2002, 11:26 AM
If you would like to take a regular picture, disposable camera, and send it to me, I can scan and post it here. Let me know...

Can yo also find out the name of the artist? I'd like to ask Melanie if she has one of them.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:07 AM
Sad news to report. The great Calypso died yesterday morning, almost exactly 14 years to the day after he went to live with Melanie. He was happy and peaceful in his field. She has called Syd and they shed a few tears. But he had a great life and lived with the person who loved him best of all.

I'll dig out the few pictures I have of him this afternoon and we'll do a little "tribute here. If anyone wants to be ambitious and post any they have, or can find on the web, have at it.

What a game, wonderful little horse he was.

He would have been 30 this spring... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Laurie

Bentley
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:20 AM
Although I am glad he had a wonderful life, and a great retirement, it is still sad to hear that he is gone.

He's probably jumping again on the other side of the bridge. (Insert smiling thru tears graemlin here)

Alixe

War Admiral
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:21 AM
What a wonderful horse he was. But I am so glad he had a long, happy, healthy retirement w/ folks who loffed him. They should all end that way - champions or not...

Jingling curb chains to speed that good horse to the Rainbow Bridge. Calypso, you brought so many people so much joy and excitement. We loff you.

Weatherford
Dec. 15, 2002, 08:39 AM
Calypso RIP

Thank you Melanie for giving such a wonderful retirement!

It's OUT! Linda Allen's 101 Exercises for Jumping co-authored by MOI!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thecowboyway
Dec. 15, 2002, 08:44 AM
How sad, another great one gone. What a grand old man he surely was, I'm sure he'll be missed by many.

luv2jump
Dec. 15, 2002, 09:36 AM
Laurie -
I have the info about the sculptor -Ramone Parmentiere - he did 10 of the atheletes at the 84' olympics and picked Melanie and Calypso for the for one of them .
I am getting a photo to scan of the scultpure - I think Melanie has one of them .
So sorry to hear about his passing - what a neat horse.
Luv2Jump

Melzy
Dec. 15, 2002, 09:41 AM
Farewell Calypso. Thanks for all the wonderful memories. My condolences to all who loved him especially Melanie and Syd.

lauriep
Dec. 15, 2002, 09:47 AM
I'm going to email her now and ask her if she has it.

If you don't mind, can you email your scanned picture of the sculpture to me separately when you post it on the web? I am getting some pictures of Lyps sent to me by Syd and I want to save them all to the same disc and I'll include your picture with them. Email lpitts@hsc.edu. Thanks!!

Laurie

Bumpkin
Dec. 15, 2002, 10:20 AM
I just saw the posting Weatherford put on OC and rushed over to give you my Condolences. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies Clique" Bora Da

Tackpud
Dec. 15, 2002, 10:33 AM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif So sorry to hear of this.

Pirateer
Dec. 15, 2002, 12:30 PM
I was never around to see him go, but i've seen pictures, what an amazing guy! He will be missed.

Rebecca
http://www.bluffparkfarm.com
http://www.angelfire.com/darkside/smited/index.html

Surgeon General's Warning: Avril Lavigne is bad for your health

MAD
Dec. 15, 2002, 12:31 PM
In honor of two greats no longer with us...

Calypso
by John Denver

To sail on a dream on a crystal clear ocean
To ride on the crest of a wild raging storm
To work in the service of life and the living
In search of the answers to questions unknown
To be part of the movement and part of the growing
Part of beginning to understand

Aye, Calypso, the places you've been to
The things that you've shown us
The stories you tell

Aye, Calypso, I sing to your spirit
The men who have served you
So long and so well

Like the dolphin who guides you
You bring us beside you
To light up the darkness and show us the way
For though we are strangers in your silent world
To live on the land we must learn from the sea
To be true as the tide
And free as the wind-swell
Joyful and loving in letting it be

The stories you tell

So long and so well

The stories you tell

So long and so well

lauriep
Dec. 15, 2002, 01:43 PM
Three of my favorites: the song, the horse and the songwriter!

Laurie

creseida
Dec. 15, 2002, 01:46 PM
I loved watching Melanie and Calypso (and Radnor, too). Her, Michael Matz and Jet Run, Idle Dice...Rodney, all true legends in the horse world.

Good Bye Calypso.

~<>~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~<>~

Lord Helpus
Dec. 15, 2002, 03:02 PM
He joins other members of the '84 team.... Young and healthy and sound once more.

Here's to the memories of

Abdullah
Calypso
Touch of Class

What about the horse that Leslie rode? I forget his name at the Olympics. I rememer him as Boing when he was owned by Kevin Maloney.

That was an Olympics to rememer! I still have the tape of the individual jumping and occasionally pull it out. I still cry when they show that close up of Joe with the Gold Medal as the National Anthem plays. Sniff, sniff.

Thanks to Joe and Conrad, I am the very proud owner of a gorgeous bracelet made from Touch of Class's tail hair. It is one of my most prized possessions.

[Damn, I could have offered a copy of the tape for the Aiden auction and I never thought of it.....]

UPDATE: Tape has been added to the Merchandise auction --- might go cheap since it was only added 4 hours before the end of the whole auction -- Please bid on it for Aiden!

[This message was edited by Lord Helpus on Dec. 15, 2002 at 10:11 PM.]

Fred
Dec. 15, 2002, 03:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lizviola:
What a wonderful horse he was. But I am so glad he had a long, happy, healthy retirement w/ folks who loffed him. They should all end that way - champions or not...

Jingling curb chains to speed that good horse to the Rainbow Bridge. Calypso, you brought so many people so much joy and excitement. We loff you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

my thoughts too - a long life and a happy one, well loved. Who could ask for more?
My sincere condolences to all who loved him.

findeight
Dec. 15, 2002, 03:50 PM
Gee Mad, how could you know that John Denver was the only recording artist whose death I cried over?

How fitting using that song for a tribute to a horse that inspired me.

Here's to Calypso and a life of service. A life well lived.

Here Here.(sound of glasses clinking together in a toast)

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

AHC
Dec. 15, 2002, 04:05 PM
Adding my condolences to those who loved him.

He and Melanie, Joe and Touch of Class, Rodney and Idle Dice, etc. -- all among the heros of my childhood when I'd go see them all ride at the National in New York. Sure feels like we're at the end of an era with the horses and trainers we've lost the past couple of years....

buryinghill2
Dec. 15, 2002, 04:14 PM
Boing was Boing when Leslie had him. I think he was Lock, Stock and Barrel when Kevin had him.
Albany died a few years ago.

lauriep
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:34 PM
Karen and I were wondering about Albany today.

So Lyps was the last one of that magic team

Boing was Boing when we had him, too.

Laurie

canyonoak
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:36 PM
Gosh--is it wonderful or what!

That lauriep thought to bring up Calypso..that we all got to reminisce, send him all kinds of energy and good thoughts...and let him know how much he was loved and admired, as he lay down to go go over Rainbow Bridge.

This is more than many people ever get as memorials.

Oh Calypso, I have a lump in my throat as I recall
1984, watching you and the others warm up, be magnificent, and soar....
\
and not to forget that Anne Kursinksi was alternate that year..with ...mmm... Livius.

RIP, great heart.

lauriep
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:37 PM
here are the few pictures I have of Lyps. As I've mentioned previously, I was never much of a photographer, and when I bought pictures, of course they were of my kids. But Syd sent me a few from LA and I have the one of Lyps when he was 25.

For those interested, find your Feb. 23, 2001 issue of the Chronicle. The Show Jumping issue. It has a lovely story about Calypso written by my pal, Molly Sorge. Terrific!

Here is Calypso with Melanie striding into the OLympic arena at LA with all the confidence in the world!

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:40 PM
Lyps and Melanie over the "Moving Star" fence in LA.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:43 PM
The award ceremony for the team medals. I've cropped it so it is a little larger. Calypso and Syd are to the right of Terry and Abdullah in the background.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:44 PM
one you've seen before. Lyps and Syd in the field at Melanie's. He was 25 at the time.

Laurie

Hattie
Dec. 15, 2002, 06:51 PM
I especially loved the final picture that you posted. What a wonderful and deserving retirement Calypso had.

DMK
Dec. 15, 2002, 09:07 PM
Before I even read Hattie's reply, my thought was that third (oops - 4th pic!) picture was my favorite. It's sad when the great ones leave us, but it's still awfully nice to hear that he had such a well deserved retirement. That picture is the embodiment of "when good things happen to good horses."

But every time I read the papers, that old feeling comes on;
We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy, and the big fool says to push on.
Pete Seeger

[This message was edited by DMK on Dec. 16, 2002 at 02:28 PM.]

Peggy
Dec. 15, 2002, 10:11 PM
So sorry to hear this, but great that he had a good and loving retirement.

My 84 Olympics photos must be at my parents', but I just dug out the program. What a great group of horses--besides our team there were the likes of Jappeloup, Diester, Big Ben, Farmer... The US was so far ahead in the Team competition that the last horse (Calypso) didn't even have to jump the second round. I'll try to get that photo album to see if anything's worth scanning.

lauriep
Dec. 16, 2002, 06:31 AM
I thought about cropping that picture down, but then decided that I wanted you guys to see the beauty of the field that he had as his retirement home. There is also a pond he wallowed in, and he had both retirees and youngsters to hang out with.

And all that grass!!!!!

Laurie

Tobi
Dec. 16, 2002, 07:05 AM
lauriep, thanks so much for the pictures!!! what a great horse!!

i have a video from the 1986 Pony Equit. finals at Commonwealth Park. they have a short promo intro with a bunch of snip-its of various people riding. i'm pretty sure the very last one is of Melanie and Calypso jumping a huge vertical in slow motion and then galloping to the finish line.

Flashy Gray
Dec. 16, 2002, 07:09 AM
at Calypso's passing. From your post that started this thread, lauriep, it sounded like he was well into his twilight, but I had hoped we could celebrate his 30th birthday next spring.

Obviously I don't know them but I hope that Melanie and Syd are comforted somewhat by knowing what an impact this great athlete had on so many of his fans.

Your retirement photo says it all - look at what a handsome happy grand old man he was!

Anyplace Farm
Dec. 16, 2002, 07:23 AM
Awww...this almost made me cry... Especially the picture of Syd and Calypso in the field. I love his little face in that picture and his big, fat belly is the best. Happy as a clam...being a horse.

The picture of he and Melanie walking by the jump is awesome. They look so tiny next to that thing. What an intimidating jump! And that was probably one of the easy ones!

``````````````````````````````
"Life ain't certain...ride your best horse first." Unknown

*Founding member of the Jigging Clique*

867-5309
Dec. 16, 2002, 07:40 AM
Always enjoyable and I appreciate the effort. Happy Holidays---

"Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

lauriep
Dec. 16, 2002, 08:08 AM
I have emailed the link to this thread to both Mel and Syd. Melanie has already looked at it and is very touched that you all remember the old man with such fondness. Syd will be looking at it shortly!

Laurie

Dementia 13
Dec. 16, 2002, 08:15 AM
As always, Laurie thank you.

That last picture is my favorite.

AHC
Dec. 16, 2002, 08:26 AM
Have to chime in again and agree that the last picture is my favorite too -- as DMK says, it's nice when good things happen to great horses.

Thanks lauriep

Coreene
Dec. 16, 2002, 10:02 AM
Then MAD's posting of "Calypso" finished me off.

What a wonderful horse.

MAD
Dec. 16, 2002, 10:23 AM
The song was supposed to be inspirational, not SAD; he was a wonderful horse, though.

Weatherford
Dec. 16, 2002, 11:08 AM
Someone said "almost teary" - uh, this is the second time I've read this thread, and I am bawling as hard as the first time.

Wonderful horse; wonderful rider; and what a joy that she got to keep him in retirement as he deserved!

Thanks again!

It's OUT! Linda Allen's 101 Exercises for Jumping co-authored by MOI!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK
Dec. 16, 2002, 11:30 AM
Weatherford - you think that is bad - try reading it as your PC is playing "Calypso"...

But every time I read the papers, that old feeling comes on;
We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy, and the big fool says to push on.
Pete Seeger

MAD
Dec. 16, 2002, 11:36 AM
Calypso (http://home.wanadoo.nl/mtenbrug/denver/calypso/denver_6.htm)

dogchushu
Dec. 16, 2002, 11:55 AM
Gee MAD, now I've got tears running down my face and I'm sitting in my office cubicle. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

People are going to start wondering if my review this morning was really all that bad.

But I'm so glad Lauriep posted those photos. That last one at least makes them semi-happy tears. He had a wonderful life.

Melzy
Dec. 16, 2002, 12:03 PM
MAD, thank you so much for Aye Calypso. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I am a huge John Denver fan. I have at least 10 of his albums on 33LP's. I have recorded his music on cassettes so I can listen to him in my car. The youngsters on this BB won't know what 33's are. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The day John died was indeed a very sad day for me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I grew up with his music.

Melanie's horse always brought John to mind.

Best wishes and thanks again. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

wtywmn4
Dec. 16, 2002, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Calypso Lauriep. He DID live out his life with the person who loved him the most. And what a hard fight it was to get him back to her!! Thankfully it had a happy ending...

RIP great Calypso....

brilyntrip
Dec. 16, 2002, 07:34 PM
finally got to me.I am weeping. When I clicked on the pic and saw that tail it brought back so many memories.The best though is remembering how hard Melanie fought to get her best pal back to where he really belonged.Just one time money didn't mean a horse had to keep jumping his heart out.Well said Wtwynn.

Jane
Dec. 16, 2002, 10:16 PM
Thank you Laurie for sharing those pics. I especially loved the (first) one of them walking into the ring, AND the last one, of Lyps hanging out in his field.

Thank you too, MAD, for posting the John Denver song and the Calypso link. I never knew that song was inspired after John visited the ship Calypso....Jacques Cousteau was one of my biggest heros.

Melanie Smith and Calypso were truely legendary. A quote (by Melanie) I recall reading said it all: "He was a Lucky Boy, and I was a lucky girl". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My favorite Melanie/Calypso story (I read this, so please correct me if I'm "off") had to be the one when Melanie finally bought Calypso back; when he arrived at her farm, she hopped on him, rode him around, jumped over some fences (had the polo grooms in awe), got off, and he was never ridden again...that was the beginning of his retirement.

I have a few Calypso pics to share....they're out of out-of-print books, hope it's okay.

Jane
Dec. 16, 2002, 10:24 PM
This one is from either '82 or '83 World Cup.

Jane
Dec. 16, 2002, 10:26 PM
I have no clue where this was taken....Maybe Laurie can figure it out......

Astraled
Dec. 16, 2002, 11:38 PM
I always loved knowing Calypso got to go home to Melanie. The '84 Olympics ignited my passion for showjumping (I was six) so those horses and riders have been special to me. Am very sad but happy that he was treasured. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

lauriep
Dec. 17, 2002, 06:30 AM
She is sending me some pictures that are special to her and I'll share them when I get them.

Melanie, wonderful person that she is, has saved a bit of his forelock and tail for Syd.

luv2jump, Melanie does indeed have the bronze. Syd has seen it and says it is fabulous. According to Melanie, the artist came to Windrush and took tons of pictures. Melanie didn't want to jump Lyps as much as the artist wanted, so they used a horse named Pot Luck, who was Lyps' brother (I dimly remember him) for the jumping, and she provided the artist with lots of competition pictures. Melanie says that it does favor Pot Luck a bit , too!

Laurie

[This message was edited by lauriep on Dec. 17, 2002 at 10:17 AM.]

lauriep
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:16 AM
that there is a nice tribute to him on the front page of Equisearch (www.equisearch.com) (http://www.equisearch.com)).
Laurie

buryinghill1
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:24 AM
Soon-to-be-bankrupt Windrush Partnership was selling Calypso (y'all remember Rodney Jenkins showing the horse? wasn't that sad?)... well, Melanie's husband Lee Taylor bought Lyps and gave him to his wife - so Lyps could retire (rather than get sold into mediocrity).

Nice guy that Lee.

Seven
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:28 AM
It's so sad to think of one of the great ones gone...but he was such a lucky horse to live out his days with Melanie.

SteadyPace
Dec. 17, 2002, 01:43 PM
Oh Jesus, I just read the article and now have tears in my eyes.

I remember watching some of those early showjumping competitions (when I was a wee young thing), and Melanie's riding was one of the things that inspired me to ride.

I'm so glad this amazing animal lived out his days in luxury and love. It's obvious he touched all that new him.

Now where are my damn kleenex's....

"Friends don't let friends reply to all"

poltroon
Dec. 17, 2002, 03:31 PM
Terrific article. Sniff. Loved that picture of them together, too.

Thank you Melanie, for giving him a wonderful retirement. It keeps my faith in horse sports alive.

"his beloved feed tub" Hee!

BBowen
Dec. 17, 2002, 10:56 PM
I have been out of pocket and just read about Calypso -- how sad I was to hear of his passing, but he had a wonderful retirement with Melanie. I loved the picture of him out in the pasture with Syd. His color and markings remind me so much of my mare (Lucky Boy granddaughter).

BCRider and Rocky213 - would love to hear more about your horses. Also, would love to find some picture of Lucky Boy. I have some photos of my girl's sire and she looks like him. Would be curious of others from his line.

Becky

bcrider
Dec. 18, 2002, 08:04 PM
Here's a link to a picture of Lucky Boy:

http://home.iae.nl/users/lijssel/english/luckyboy.html

I've met my filly's dad, Titan (son of Lucky Boy). He's a super gentle old fellow now. Real sweetheart. He competed in the late 80's early 90's I believe. I have a video of him in the jumper ring, and he looks relaxed and happy to be there. As if he really loved what he was doing. The woman who has him now heard stories about him. He was owned by a woman who wanted to have a "black stallion", and was ridden by pros. Apparently he wasn't kept in great condition, but he went and tried his heart out every time anyway. Reports from people who knew him when he was competing are uniformly positive about what a great attitude and heart he had.

My filly is only 3, but her temperament is fantastic. She is way more sensible than the teenage thoroughbreds she lives with. I had her on the longe the other day, for only the third time, and the neighbours were playing paintball. It was like a war zone! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Didn't phase her. And she does love to jump - she chooses to go over the ditches in the field, while the other horses go around.

Sorry to ramble on, but, I loff my girl! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't mean to take away from the tribute to Calypso though - just feel lucky to live with one of his distant cousins in my back yard. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bcrider

A Splash of Color
Dec. 19, 2002, 12:45 AM
Such conflicting emotions: sadness at Calypso's passing mixed with joy at the life Melanie gave him.

To those who cared for him: celebrate his life; cherish his memories. And smile.

lauriep
Dec. 19, 2002, 06:08 AM
Do you have any pics of Lyps in your treasure trove?

luv2jump, still waiting for the bronze picture!

Laurie

A Splash of Color
Dec. 20, 2002, 02:51 AM
Laurie, You read my mind. Now that I've seen good, clear pictures of him, I was wondering if he might be in some of my "unidentified" ones. When the weekend comes, I'll look. Either way, I'll let you know.

Joan

luv2jump
Dec. 20, 2002, 08:01 AM
Laurie - I am going to my friend's house tomorrow for some Christmas cheer - I will MAKE her find that photo and am afraid it will have to go to you by snail mail ( unless some miracle renders me with a scanner and the knowledge to use it!!!)
Let me now your snail mail address!
Luv2Jump

lauriep
Dec. 20, 2002, 01:48 PM
I hate it that we don[t have our email addresses in our profiles anymore.

Email me at lpitts@hsc.edu and I'll send you my address!

Laurie

HN73
Dec. 20, 2002, 02:02 PM
All horses should have such a dignified retirement.

~~~~Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check?~~~~

SpringBreak
Dec. 20, 2002, 07:16 PM
aww!! i have not heard his name before but i am assuming he must of been a famous horse! i am glad hes living a grand life in retirement /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

*Spring Break*
*Simon*
*Homie S*

lauriep
Dec. 21, 2002, 06:28 AM
His first GP win was the '79 Jumping Derby. His last was the 1985 Commonwealth Grand Prix in Culpeper. In the interveneing years, he showed in most of the major competitions in this country, unless he was in Europe. Maaybe that will help you with your search!

Spring Break, Calypso was the horse that Melanie Smith Taylor rode in the '84 Olympics to a Team Gold Medal. He and Melanie were also the only horse/rider combo to win the show jumping Triple Crown of the Invitational, Jumping Derby and Gold Cup. He won many, many competitions both here and in Europe, and was the individual bronze winner at the "alternate" Olympics in 1980. Melanie's horse of a lifetime, and many in this country, including George Morris, think he is the best we have ever had.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 09:34 AM
I have posted an article on Towerheads in memory of Lyps.

I'll be posting a few more pictures here later today.

Laurie

A Splash of Color
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:27 PM
Alas, Lauriep, no Calypso photos. There is one “Unknown” from the 1982 Jumping Derby that’s worth a second look. It’s #
14 (http://community.webshots.com/photo/55186529/51328216GRObRb) in the ’82 Webshots album, but that image is a scan of a slide and not as sharp as it could be. I’ll have a conventional print made tomorrow and scan that, just in case the horse and rider can be identified.

Hiding in the files, however, was a candid from the 1980 Jumping Derby, taken in back of the in-gate between classes. Thought it might be worth posting here for the memories.

By the way, do you recall who had the ride on Friar Tuck during the 1982 Jumping Derby?

buryinghill2
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:33 PM
I don't remember anyone but Leslie ever showing Friar Tuck.

A Splash of Color
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:35 PM
Thanks, danagrrt. That's what I thought, too.

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:46 PM
is Melanie and George talking to Bert deNemethy ( I think) and Joe Fiore.

I can't tell on #14, not clear enough to see the horse's head markings. Maybe the print will help.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:51 PM
coutesy of Syd.

Syd and Lyps after his Gold Cup win in '81.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:53 PM
Just after winning the '82 Invitational.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:55 PM
'82 World Cup winners. Paul Schockemoeler (sp) is to Melanie's left on El Paso.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 05:57 PM
Another from the '84 Games.

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 06:01 PM
two from Syd's last visit in October. The last time this team was together.

Laurie

luv2jump
Dec. 22, 2002, 06:01 PM
Laurie - got some photos of the bronze - will send to you tomorrow - not great quality, but all she had - hope they scan ok. If no, Ill try and round up a digital and take a few myself!
Luv2Jump

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 06:02 PM
Well deserved kisses...

Laurie

lauriep
Dec. 22, 2002, 06:04 PM
I can't wait to see it!

Laurie

MHM
Dec. 22, 2002, 06:18 PM
He really was a lucky boy- he found his niche, excelled in it, then had a long and happy retirement. Every horse should be so lucky.

SpringBreak
Dec. 22, 2002, 06:27 PM
aww that second to last pic is so sweet. last time together...he looks all old and happy /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

*Spring Break*
*Simon*
*Homie S*

SBT
Dec. 22, 2002, 06:29 PM
...to add my condolences. What an amazing little tryer he was...snapping up those knees and pinning those ears as if he's DARING the jumps to fall down. And gutsy Melanie was his perfect match.

I love all the pics, but especially the one of Calypso at 25, standing in the field with Syd. Two "old campaigners" reminiscing about their days of glory. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If he hasn't been already, I hope Calypso will be inducted into the Show Jumping Hall of Fame. He deserves to be!

~Sara
*Charter member of the GM Fan Club*
*Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron*

lauriep
Dec. 23, 2002, 05:00 AM
but Calypso isn't ... yet!

Laurie

A Splash of Color
Dec. 23, 2002, 05:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but Calypso isn't ... yet!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Laurie, is there any way to help correct that oversight?

BTW, thanks for posting those great Calypso pictures.

lauriep
Dec. 23, 2002, 01:39 PM
they announce the inductees each year at the Invitational. What the process is prior to that, I don't know, but I can ask some questions when I am in Wellington next week.

None of the horses were alive when inducted, so he may have something going for him now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Laurie

HFSH
Dec. 30, 2002, 01:33 PM
Better late than never.

I remember Melanie and Calypso, they were a fantastic team. So sorry to hear he's gone. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I love John Denver's song, Calypso ... definately applies here.

Sam Iam
Dec. 30, 2002, 01:39 PM
I just read the report on Calypso in "In The Country" section of the Chronicle main page. If I'm doing my math correctly (which is always questionable) from the article it appears that he was retired at 15.

Does anyone, lauriep perhaps, know why he was retired so young?

mbp
Dec. 30, 2002, 01:40 PM
adding some very late condolences

Idle Dice, Jet Run, Calypso, Abdullah, Touch of Class, we have been blessed to be able to watch great ones. And doesn't Melanie look like an Eq rider in the pics? How wonderful that the grand old man had such a loving retirement.

lauriep
Dec. 30, 2002, 04:13 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifLet's not post on my thread and not mentioin Balbuco! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lyps was retired for a variety of reasons, including Melanie's retirement from competitive riding, the demise of Windrush, and basically, he had no other worlds to conquer.

Laurie

Liverpool
Dec. 31, 2002, 05:39 PM
Ohhhhhh... Balbuco. My all-time-favorite!!!!!!

Laurie do you have more pics???? PLEASE???

I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)

lauriep
Jan. 1, 2003, 09:20 AM
I'll be bringing home some of Karen's albums, and hopefully, Ronnie Beard's, too, so will soon be posting MANY more of some top old horses.

Have patience, it will be a good bit of work, but it won't be long.

Laurie

Sam Iam
Jan. 2, 2003, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the update, Laurie. I'm not really "up" on things at the top levels, and didn't realize that Melanie was retired from competitive riding. Is she still involved in horses somehow (I hope)?

Liverpool
Jan. 2, 2003, 12:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lauriep:
I'll be bringing home some of Karen's albums, and hopefully, Ronnie Beard's, too, so will soon be posting MANY more of some top old horses.

Have patience, it will be a good bit of work, but it won't be long.

Ooooooh, that will be awesome!!! Thanks in advance...

Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)

Kellsboro Jack
Jan. 2, 2003, 01:47 PM
Its rather sad to hear of his passing as he was such a wonderful horse. I must say that I was rather touched and very moved by the final actions and comments of Melanie as mentioned in the Chronicle of the Horse "In the Country" news bit.

lauriep
Jan. 5, 2003, 12:12 PM
I just got back from FL and the pictures of the bronze were waiting for me as promised! Thanks, luv2jump!

Here goes, we have three, if my slow internet connection and this new Infopop will cooperate...

Laurie

lauriep
Jan. 5, 2003, 12:13 PM
Here is number two...

Laurie

lauriep
Jan. 5, 2003, 12:16 PM
And number three!

BTW, Sam Iam, Melanie and her husband breed and raise sport horses for sale on their farm in TN. She is also a commentator for NBC and also was on the selection committee for the WEG. She keeps her hand in...

Laurie

Melzy
Jan. 5, 2003, 01:32 PM
Thank you for posting those of Calypso, lauriep. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the grand old stars.

Best wishes.

easyjumper1
Jan. 8, 2003, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry this reply is so late. It's always a sad thing when a horse dies, but I'm glad he could enjoy his retirement for so long.
I wanted to add this jumping picture of his sire, Lucky Boy.

syd
Jan. 8, 2003, 05:43 PM
well, now that i've finally been able to face reading everyones' wonderful comments about one of the best horses (i'm not too prejudiced!)that i was fortunate enough to have worked with (and been able to use only about half a box of tissues), i'll reply back. thanks to everyone for all your thoughts of calypso - i was very fortunate to be able to work with and take care of melanie's first great one (radnor) and last great one (calypso) and a whole bunch of great ones in between. it was an unbelievable run and the memories and experiences are something i'll never forget...i was so lucky to be part of the "team".

"lyps" got to retire the way we wish they all could and so maybe he represented the ones who didn't make it to such a nice retirement. i'll miss him as i do the others....and i thank melanie and lee for being able to see him so happy in finishing out his life!!

and while i'm at it, i also just want to say how lucky i feel i was to have been connected up with the best rider/horsewoman (melanie)and one of the best trainers (george morris) that i could have wished for (not too prejudiced again). thanks for the memories......

[This message was edited by syd on Jan. 08, 2003 at 09:40 PM.]

hoopoe
Jan. 8, 2003, 06:24 PM
Kellsboro Jack, I agree with you.

The item in the COTH and the quote from melanie told me this was the real deal.

Both of them are and remain, a class act.

_\\]
-- * &gt; hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

Linny
Jan. 8, 2003, 07:34 PM
I had tears in my eyes reading his COTH obit. He was a wonderful horse.

Resident racing historian

lauriep
Jan. 9, 2003, 07:44 AM
I'm glad Syd got to respond to this. After all, she was a major part of Lyps' team.

Come back often, good buddy!

Laurie

Melzy
Jan. 9, 2003, 09:13 AM
syd, I am sorry for your great loss. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Be comforted that you were part of such an outstanding team! May your memories make you smile.

Best wishes from a Calypso/Melanie fan.

lauriep
Jan. 24, 2003, 06:14 AM
Hey guys!

Great news! Just got word from Melanie that Calypso has been nominated for the Show Jumping Hall of Fame. Highly unusual for a horse to be nominated so soon after its death.

Yay, Lyps!!!!

Laurie

Flashy Gray
Jan. 24, 2003, 07:11 AM
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WELL DESERVED, CALYPSO!

As always, thanks for the update lauriep!

Melzy
Jan. 24, 2003, 08:58 AM
Great news. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Congratulations Melanie and Syd.