PDA

View Full Version : where to get cheap leather turnout halters

Drive NJ
Apr. 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
I need a cob size for a growing 2yo

A couple years ago someone suggested HorseLoverZ for a gatsby leather halter that ran for about $12 (yes thats right)

Cant find it now

I saw some $21 halters -light weight leather out in the Amish country

Any other suggestions or is the Amish the best/cheapest rate?

Thanks

CDE Driver
Apr. 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
I have some of the Big Dee's halters, http://www.bigdweb.com/LEATHER-HALTER/productinfo/1177/

They are offering a $20 off $50: Code is EQS12 until the 18th.

Drive NJ
Apr. 18, 2012, 03:56 PM
thanks - good deal especially with code

Ive gotten stuff from them in the past and been very happy

mickeydoodle
Apr. 18, 2012, 04:02 PM
Chick's saddlery has them for about $24, including name plate. And they are double layered and quite durable.

mickeydoodle
Apr. 18, 2012, 04:02 PM
oops, I think it is Chick's harness supply

Mosey_2003
Apr. 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
It's http://www.chicksaddlery.com :)

Western
Apr. 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
Turning horses out in halters is risky: they can get it hung up on something, or get a hoof hung up in it when they go to scratch an ear. Breakaways, if you must.

Tehzebra
Apr. 18, 2012, 05:52 PM
Turning horses out in halters is risky: they can get it hung up on something, or get a hoof hung up in it when they go to scratch an ear. Breakaways, if you must.

That and the "halter game" makes halters hard to keep track of....

I once had a friend who had a horse in a breakaway who got their head caught on the barn fence and snapped her neck and died before the breakaway could even work :/

Western
Apr. 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
Yikes! :( I amend that to "breakaways which break away easily"!

DesignerLabel
Apr. 21, 2012, 12:21 PM
Schneiders has some for about $25. I always buy the cheapest leather halter I can find, then throw away the crownpiece and buy a breakaway crownpiece for about $4. I don't like regular breakaway nylon halters, because it's still an unbreakable nylon halter, just a breakable crown piece. I've had horses come up with the nosepiece or cheekpiece broken on the leather halters, but the breakaway crownpiece was still intact.

If you decide to use the breakaway crownpiece, make sure you get a leather halter with a crownpiece buckle on each side.

This has worked well for me. The other day I was bringing my mare in from the pasture and wasn't really paying attention, so the lead rope was dragging. Design stepped on the rope, jerked her head, and the halter broke and fell off. Design had a look on her face like, "Oh no, my clothes fell off!"

Bacardi1
Apr. 21, 2012, 04:06 PM
"Gatsby" has always been - & always will be - my "go to" brand for everyday inexpensive halters. They come in sizes from foal to yearling to Arab to Cob to Regular to Oversize. There may be more, but those are the sizes I've purchased over the years. The leather is soft but strong, yet I have no doubt it would break if something catastrophic happened (although I don't turn out horses with halters on). They wear very very well, & are a super deal for the price. Heck, I even have two inexpensive "Gatsby" bridles that I purchased back in the 1980's that are still in lovely condition.

I can find them at nearly all my local tack & even some feed stores, & if you simply do a websearch on "Gatsby halters" or even "Gatsby Cob halters", quite a few sites will pop up with more than reasonable prices. I find it very difficult to believe you can't find them anywhere.

SwampYankee
Apr. 21, 2012, 10:54 PM
Take a cruise around on E-Bay; great deals all the time, esp. when high quality leather's not a priority.

Zu Zu
Apr. 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
R.E. FENNELLS ~ RED MILE TRACK LEXINGTON, KY.

pony baloney
Apr. 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
Anyone here try one of these?

http://www.safehorsehalters.com/

They look like they'd easily come apart; in fact, I wouldn't use it when leading or tying my horse. But I like the fact that they're super lightweight.

I do wonder though how strong the velcro is. His flymask has velcro on it that's pretty tough to separate. That would defeat the purpose on a breakaway halter.

RunningwaterWBs
Apr. 23, 2012, 05:27 PM
Drive, if you're actually in NJ, drive on over to Horseman's Outlet. They have a bunch of different halters in different price ranges. I got one for about $24 a few weeks ago.

Personally, I like "turnout" halters because they tend to be thin (not bulky) and inexpensive -- I'd never actually turn horses out in them. They're great for growing horses. (Just sayin'; the OP may have no intention of turning out in them, it's just that this is how they're marketed).