PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of you riding from the Dark Ages.....

Dragoon
Oct. 14, 2001, 05:37 PM
I just found a beloved pic of me (almost 10 years ago) on my adored, yet incredibly crabby Morab King....what a guy! He's probably 32 yrs in this pic. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Anybody else have CUTE pics they want to show from a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"United We Stand, Divided We Fall"

"I know that the best things in life are free, but why do the next best things always cost so much??"
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else..."

Dragoon
Oct. 14, 2001, 05:37 PM
I just found a beloved pic of me (almost 10 years ago) on my adored, yet incredibly crabby Morab King....what a guy! He's probably 32 yrs in this pic. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Anybody else have CUTE pics they want to show from a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"I know that the best things in life are free, but why do the next best things always cost so much??"

daytimedrama
Oct. 14, 2001, 05:54 PM
here is a pic of my friend and me riding. This is my first show, a walk trot class. (I'm on the chestnut, Robin). This was taken about 10 years ago.

~Christina~
"Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!"
JD;Heathers
*Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

SBT
Oct. 14, 2001, 06:11 PM
This was taken on my 9th birthday. (1987) I was riding a LITTLE pony named Merrylegs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Speaking of "the dark ages," I had to lighten the photo a little because it was taken just before dark!

P.S. Check out my gigantic crop! I don't think they make them that big anymore! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Not that Merrylegs never needed it /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif She ALSO needed the ingenious baling-twine anti-grazing device that my trainer invented (and which I have since used myself on grass-happy lesson ponies!)
And YES, I am wearing a helmet WITH a harness that WAS approved at the time!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Hound Dog Diaries
Oct. 14, 2001, 06:12 PM
I'm not really old enough to have lived in the Dark Ages...but this was still pre-short-stirrupers-in-tall-boots. Me at my first show, probably around '92, how cute was I?

E

Whip 'N Spurs
Oct. 14, 2001, 07:22 PM
This was only about 4 years ago, but I guess that's the dark ages for me..hehe. This was me at my first show on my first horse. You gotta love the matching tack and hip show clothes, but, hey, I had fun and I thought I was soo stylish, hehe. Of course this was when I was at my old QH barn and we only did little dinky local shows, but I had a blast...

Laura, Casey, & Uno
http://www.hometown.aol.com/viprincesss/one.html

Whip 'N Spurs
Oct. 14, 2001, 07:24 PM
Here's another, LOL.

Laura, Casey, & Uno
http://www.hometown.aol.com/viprincesss/one.html

Carlysue
Oct. 14, 2001, 07:31 PM
oh this thread is so precious! This pic is from 1990...i was ten

~Carla~
carlysue17@hotmail.com

SLW
Oct. 14, 2001, 07:42 PM
Ladies, ladies, ladies, you are making me bust a gut this evening! The header said "Photos from the Dark Ages" and you all are posting photos taken 6 years AFTER MTV debuted!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I shall have to get my scanner and a web host set up so I can show you "Dark Ages"!

FTR, all the photos are wonderful!! What a lifelong gift those lesson and first horses/pony's give us!

SLW

Weatherford
Oct. 14, 2001, 07:52 PM
OK

Auto release time.

Weatherford
Oct. 14, 2001, 08:07 PM
A few years earlier...

daytimedrama
Oct. 14, 2001, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SLW:
Ladies, ladies, ladies, you are making me bust a gut this evening! The header said "Photos from the Dark Ages" and you all are posting photos taken 6 years AFTER MTV debuted!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I shall have to get my scanner and a web host set up so I can show you "Dark Ages"!

FTR, all the photos are wonderful!! What a lifelong gift those lesson and first horses/pony's give us!

SLW<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha well it only us juniors who are posting when we should be doing homework!

~Christina~
"Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!"
JD;Heathers
*Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

LaurieB
I can do that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This is a picture of me in /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif 1966 /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif on my first horse when I was thirteen.

[This message was edited by LaurieB on Oct. 14, 2001 at 11:25 PM.]

Weatherford
And a few years later...

coppelia
Oct. 14, 2001, 08:33 PM
These pictures are great! Good idea!

Here's me & my first "horse" (after the terrible pony many of us had) at a schooling show maybe '81 or '82. The quality's not so good, but it's still one of my favorite pictures ever.

coppelia
Oct. 14, 2001, 08:37 PM
Can't help it... one more picture

This is my next horse, an OTTB who was an excellent horse and I wish I appreciated him more when I had him. Probably '84? maybe?

SimpsoMatt
Oct. 14, 2001, 08:38 PM
Does 1977 qualify as "Dark Ages"? http://jmatt.net/beasts/summer77.html

dublin
Oct. 14, 2001, 08:46 PM
Here I am in my first Jr. Jumper class in 1967, age 13.... Don't you love those boots!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

UCLA football RULES.... Undefeated and #7 in the nation, baby!!
"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

TuxWink
Oct. 14, 2001, 09:28 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

farfel
Oct. 14, 2001, 11:25 PM
Everyone's pics are just wonderful!

I have a very mushy soft spot for those plain/aged/fuzzy/multi-breed/incredibly sweet horses & ponies that we start out on as horse-crazy kids - when ANY horse is absolutely magical. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RumoursFollow
Oct. 14, 2001, 11:51 PM
OK- these arent dark ages- LOL I believe I was 8 or 9 in this picture...

RumoursFollow
Oct. 14, 2001, 11:54 PM
I had to post this just because I'm wondering WHERE DID THOSE LONG SKINNY LEGS I USED TO HAVE GO TO???!?!?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

RumoursFollow
Oct. 14, 2001, 11:57 PM
One more- me and my usual goofy self in around 91 or 92 I guess - at home in our "ring."

This is my first horse.

Weatherford
Oct. 15, 2001, 03:28 AM
DUblin - GREAT picture!! boots or no boots!

Isn't it funny how some of us have a much DIFFERENT concept of the DARK AGES than others???

Here is one from the REAL dark ages - but it is not me - My DAD! (and I still have the trophy he won!)

MAD
Oct. 15, 2001, 04:10 AM
To match Weatherford's Dad

MAD
Oct. 15, 2001, 04:15 AM
And Alice pretending to be from the dark ages, showing in a children's hunter class (side saddle, for fun) at about age 10.

Check out her release.

MAD
Oct. 15, 2001, 04:27 AM
Me in 1974 or so. Best pony we ever had. Billy Blastoff. Alice rode him, too, after I outgrew him. He wasn't a good mover, but a fabulous jumper.

Small Change
Oct. 15, 2001, 04:38 AM
Great pictures everyone!

Weatherford - I love the picture of you on the chestnut, and I have a brown mare that coud be a throw back to the brown horse! She looks identical other than that she has three white feet.

Dublin - I'm taking your chestnut home!

MAD - What a cute horse! (In the side saddle picture.) I love the face.

All posters - I am now compiling a list of whose horses I will be adopting (If they are still around...) and emailing it this after noon. Check your inboxes! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Quinn
Oct. 15, 2001, 05:25 AM
This is in 1980 and it's the only "old" picture I have scanned. Me and my old boy trying to figure out what to do next!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

SLW
Oct. 15, 2001, 05:39 AM
Oh Yeah, Dublin, Weatherford and Mad- now we're talking Dark Ages great photos!

For all you wonderful youngins, here's my take on Dark Ages. If it's "back in style" now but you have photos of you wearing it or using it when it was "first in style", the latter counts as Dark Ages! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SLW- who still has an old hunt coat with velvet collar tucked away and plenty of flat bridles. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LaurieB
Oct. 15, 2001, 06:34 AM
Dublin, check out my picture. I think my boots and your boots must have come from the same store. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Weatherford and MAD, what wonderful pictures of your parents!

Duffy
Oct. 15, 2001, 08:22 AM
Ok, I already posted this on the "awful pics" thread, but it definitely also qualifies over here!! It would be circa...hmmm...1970?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The pony's name was "Potato Chip", aka "Taters". /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif That solid stone wall with telephone pole on top used to petrify me. You'd be galloping down the hill to it! Thus, my excuse for my rather frozen look! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif A few months later that same pony decided to get stronger and stronger, (pelham sometimes not enough on that guy), and by the solid combination at the end of the outside course, decided to leave a full stride early. We flipped. I remember looking up and seeing his hindquarters descending upon me. Could I move?!?!? Of course not. uggggg....It was one of the first lessons my mother ever made it too. My instructor was asking if I could get up. My mother was screaming for me to stay put. LOL The ambulance came and they put me in a "scoop or scissor stretcher" to move me to the regular stretcher. My rather long hair got all caught up in the joint of the thing. My mother kept telling the EMT's or whatever to just cut it off!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Luckily, they didn't. After a couple weeks in the hospital, she told the nurses the same thing. Thank goodness they didn't listen either! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and it was at Sweetbrier Farm in Easton, CT. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Duffy
Oct. 15, 2001, 08:30 AM
If you really want to talk DARK AGES...Here is one of my ancestors. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SLW
Oct. 15, 2001, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
If you _really_ want to talk _DARK AGES_...Here is one of my ancestors. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome! Do tell about the horse and rider!

SLW

Alex Trebek
Oct. 15, 2001, 09:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
If you _really_ want to talk _DARK AGES_...Here is one of my ancestors. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell the truth, Duffy - isn't that picture of YOU jumping out of the ring in the early days of Rosemount?! LOL

VTrider
Oct. 15, 2001, 09:23 AM
That was a picture I took with my polaroid camera at the IHSA show Saturday!!!!

SBT
Oct. 15, 2001, 11:41 AM
Another one of me, from 1988 (OK, still not the dark ages!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) This mare's name was Lady. She was probably 15 h. and had a 50" Girth!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lord Helpus
Oct. 15, 2001, 01:03 PM
Checking in from the REAL dark ages. I was 7, pony and spectator probably have both been dead for decades..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have several titles for this picture:

1. How come I ain't that brave anymore?
2. Prime example of why GM invented the crest release, or,
3. Where was the pony jumper division when I needed it?

OK, Alex Trebeck and other smarties, can anyone recognize the horse show?

In The Gate
Oct. 15, 2001, 01:06 PM
Lord Helpus, there's no picture /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Valerie
~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
Valerie's home page (http://www.geocities.com/vwiles02)

Duffy
Oct. 15, 2001, 01:13 PM
There is now! What a jump! That's one heck of a shank on that pelham. Maybe I would have been able to control Taters with that! LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SLW (and alex and vt /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) -- We believe that lovely rider to be my great-grandmother on a horse named "Roy". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Alex Trebek
Oct. 15, 2001, 01:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:

OK, Alex Trebeck and other smarties, can anyone recognize the horse show?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A wild guess, but Saratoga?

Lisamarie8
Oct. 15, 2001, 01:38 PM
I don't know what is nicer...my teeth or my boots /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif This is one of my first lessons at Great Falls Horse Center...I guess I was like 8 'er somethin'

scary

--My most accommodating strength is my willingness to humiliate myself

Natty Dread
Oct. 15, 2001, 02:15 PM
Okay...This is me at the tender age of, um, 9 or 10, Riding Alex Jayne's Jr. Horse "Neatly Made". I have no idea why I was riding her or in what class it was, but I do remember she was so nice to ride. I think it was '77 or there abouts.

MAD
Oct. 15, 2001, 02:17 PM
Posted by Alex T:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A wild guess, but Saratoga? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know the answer, but a hint for Alex T: I think Lord Helpus went to grammar school in Bedford. So maybe that picture was taken at a show closer to the Westchester/Fairfield area.

Come out come out: Janet, Patty B, LaurieB, Abby, MBStark...

Natty Dread
Oct. 15, 2001, 02:18 PM
And this is my little brother, now a professional Polo Player. Not the greatest pic, but he was only 5ish. It was a warm-up class at Dunham Woods (note the half braided mane). But he always managed to get around. The pony was a small by the way. Isn't he adorable?

Natty Dread
Oct. 15, 2001, 02:23 PM
Again..my leetle bro...probably a year later, same pony. This was at a Pony Club Rally. He was always such a natural, You should see him play polo.

Notice the jumping strap around the neck.

equitationlane
Oct. 15, 2001, 04:18 PM
Would that be Boulder Brook?

just_me
Oct. 15, 2001, 04:39 PM
I didn't start riding until I was in my 20s. I dreamed of owning a horse the whole time I was growing up. So besides being an incredibly great, sweet, talented, handsome horse, Pooka was my dream-come-true horse.

Here's a picture taken about 1976 (notice the bell bottoms) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I hope this picture posts properly.

just_me
Oct. 15, 2001, 04:41 PM
Here's one of Pooka jumping. Please don't critique my form. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, the picture was taken in 1976.

Dragoon
Oct. 15, 2001, 06:02 PM
OMG Lord Helpus!!!! I LOVE (no seriously I do!) those braids! That pony reminds me of the Crazy Pony jumper I ride (and Dry Clean Only knows very well...speaking of DCO, where are you!?). Hehehe, if you still have that bit can I borrow it?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I need to scan some pics of me at my second lesson (riding MOO Cow Lexi /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )...right after the first lesson my parents and I went to the tack shop and bought the
latest in equestrian fashion - the schooling tights with flourescent-patterned sides /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif . Good thing I burned those a long time ago (LOL).

Dry Clean Only
Oct. 15, 2001, 07:17 PM
Ahh yes Linds - did those tights match the flourescent helmet cover as well? I believe yours was green? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I wish I had a functional scanner- I have pics of me on Chester in my 2nd or so lesson in the rubber boots and EVF lesson hat!!! No chinstrap /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif And of course I have a plethora of pics of Kingers and I - who in the state of NH never rode King? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lord Helpus
Oct. 15, 2001, 07:19 PM
Dragoon, Those braids were actually the nicest braids that pony probably ever had in that God awful mane (for a while, my mother gave up and roached it...). I do want to get extra credit for the braided tail, which, aside from the extra long loop, is quite a nice tail job, especially for the, ahem, mid- 1950's...

And MAD, yes, I did live in Bedford, but only moved there when I was 10 and this picture was taken when I was 7. I gave a hint on Alex's thread about where I lived before that [Clarence Nagro]. There is also another hint in this thread about the identity of the show.

Lammie
Oct. 15, 2001, 07:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weatherford:
DUblin - GREAT picture!! boots or no boots!

Isn't it funny how some of us have a much DIFFERENT concept of the DARK AGES than others???

Here is one from the REAL dark ages - but it is not me - My DAD! (and I still have the trophy he won!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha I have those pictures of my mom doing thr exact same thing! I have her derby in my room and her trophys are some where - I am so proud! hahaha.. its pretty cool to think about our parents being good riders when they were young /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Weatherford
Oct. 15, 2001, 11:30 PM
Lord Helpus - That's either Hilltop or the Spring Valley Showgrounds - although, I will admit, I would only recognize Hilltop if it were the outside course!!!

Lord Helpus
Oct. 16, 2001, 05:27 AM
Nah, Weatherford, it's neither, but the photo itself gives you little to go on. I thought people from that era might be smart and get it from the title of the picture "JET" --- It was taken at Junior Essex Troop.

Dragoon
Oct. 16, 2001, 12:14 PM
(Yes.....my first five-star!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ).

Actually Lexi, my helmet cover was that oh so attractive HOT PINK /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Ewww....we had such fine taste /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~Linds /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

"One time, at Band Camp...." ;-)

Weatherford
Oct. 16, 2001, 01:32 PM
Is thatr your picture in the old Birdsall (?) NA Bloodlines book (Part 2 - Hunters)??

Great picture!

Ruby G. Weber
Oct. 16, 2001, 02:34 PM
Not sure. Would have to see it. But I don't recall being picture in that set of books.

Weatherford
Oct. 16, 2001, 04:07 PM
Was Emmett your horse's name and was it a TB?

I will scan the pic when I get home /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

(It is really nice!)

BravAddict
Oct. 16, 2001, 08:04 PM
This was like...'93 or something...I was...nerrr...7 or 8.

Lisamarie - That pony...the predescessor of the....FAIRFIELD PONY!!!! (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!) [I'm not obsessed...I swear.]

[This message was edited by BravAddict on Oct. 16, 2001 at 11:14 PM.]

pinkhorse
Oct. 17, 2001, 04:45 AM
Probably 1973. This is at Lake Erie College. In the next class I fell off at this fence. Funny what you remember!

This was my Jr. Hunter. He also went, with Betsy Lewis, to the Quarter Horse Congress, I think that same year, to the Jumper Futurity Sweepstakes. Came in second to Mr. Muskie.

And, Lord Helpus, that is the cutest pic ever!

[This message was edited by pinkhorse on Oct. 17, 2001 at 07:59 AM.]

just_me
Oct. 17, 2001, 05:53 AM
Pinkhorse, what a great picture. Love your release. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ruby G. Weber
Oct. 17, 2001, 07:23 AM
Nope. I never owned one called "Emmet". Sorry to disappoint!

Weatherford
Oct. 17, 2001, 08:25 AM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif bummer, Emmet! Here I thought I found a wonderful picture of famous you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

pinkhorse
Oct. 17, 2001, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by just_me:
Pinkhorse, what a great picture. Love your release. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh, ooh, I'm so excited!! Thank you for saying that!! I think he was a pretty special guy. Like those front legs????

Janet
Oct. 17, 2001, 07:51 PM
MAD should recognize the pony. Anyone else want to make a guess to his breed? I don't know if you can see enough to recognize the showgrounds.

This was approximately 1970.

Janet
Oct. 17, 2001, 07:59 PM
Again, about 1970.

There is a reason I am pulling on the right rein. We were SUPPOSED to jump the bigger fence, but on the last stride, he ducked left, and took the pony fence instead of the horse fence. This was in a BIG field in No Salem, and the judge was on the far side of the fiild, in line with this fence. Apparently she couldn't see that we jumped the wrong fence, as we got 3rd.

WindWhistler82
Oct. 17, 2001, 08:04 PM
Where's the second picture???

*~*Katie*~*

~Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experiance.~*~Proud member of the College Clique!~

In The Gate
Oct. 17, 2001, 08:06 PM
wait a few minutes... pictures have been loading really slowly.

Valerie
~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
Valerie's home page (http://www.geocities.com/vwiles02)

Janet
Oct. 17, 2001, 08:11 PM
I had to rescan the picture because it was too big, it should be there now.

Here is another picture of me and Rocket.

Anybody recognize the judge?

SusieB
Oct. 17, 2001, 09:48 PM
is the pony a Dartmoor?
just wondering!

Member of the Invisible Clique!

Janet
Oct. 17, 2001, 09:51 PM
Not a Dartmoor.

MAD
Oct. 18, 2001, 02:43 AM
Is that Minstrel Boy? The one we bought (Gillian's pony to ride-has she forgiven us)? I don't know if we have any pictures of him-but probably still have his papers. I AM EDITING THIS POST AND WILL DISQUALIFY MYSELF (JUST CALLED MY MOM TO CHECK ON HIS BREEDING).

This has been quite the week for old Debany horses/ponies/owners showing up!

And the field in North Salem...is that the "race track"?

[This message was edited by MAD on Oct. 18, 2001 at 07:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by MAD on Oct. 18, 2001 at 07:21 AM.]

just_me
Oct. 18, 2001, 04:03 AM
Don't you just love the big outdoor natural-looking courses in the old '70s picture? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Janet
Oct. 18, 2001, 05:22 AM
Yes, That is Minstrel Boy.

Don't worry, Gillian has long since forgiven you.

I have a couple more picture of him I can scan in and mail to you if you want.

Nope, none of them are at "the race track"

LaurieB
Oct. 18, 2001, 06:25 AM
Since you're asking us to guess, I'm thinking his breed is something unexpected. Based on his look, I'm guessing a Hackney Pony, though I can't imagine a Hackney would jump that well.

Anyplace Farm
Oct. 18, 2001, 06:52 AM
This is just a fantastic thread. I really must dig up pictures of me and Starlight...pictures from my very first horseshow. Hysterical.

Niaouli
Oct. 18, 2001, 06:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
Checking in from the REAL dark ages. I was 7, pony and spectator probably have both been dead for decades..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! What a great picture. I'd just like to let you know that you've replaced Elcana and C. Boylen on my desktop

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"He is richest who is content with the least" - Socrates

Janet
Oct. 18, 2001, 07:25 AM
No, not a Hackney. In fact a breed that has a reputation for being good jumpers. It is just that he doesn't look like the "typical" example of the breed. In fact, at 13h2", he was the lowest height "legal" for registration.

His breeders prefix, "Landgate" is still used in the breed.

Albion
Oct. 18, 2001, 08:31 AM
Is he a Connemara? (What a NICE looking pony - I want one!)

-Albion

Janet
Oct. 18, 2001, 08:46 AM
Yes, Minstrel Boy was a Connemara.

Weatherford
Oct. 18, 2001, 08:56 AM
Connemaras are the BEST jumpers!

The scuttlebutt in Ireland is that Cruising (an absolutely AMAZING jumper whose get all jump EXACTLY like him) is really by the Connemara stallion that stands on the same farm as his ISH "sire". They say this for several reasons - first, his "sire" hasn't really produced any other jumpers, but the connemara stallion has produced LOTS of TOP pony jumpers; second - he looks and jumps like the Connemara (!); third - he has a pony attitude in life (!) fourth - the Irish LOVE stories like this!

Keep your eye out for young horses by Cruising (Kevin Babbington's Cruise Missle is probably the most well known here in the States) - they are wonderful! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Weatherford
Oct. 18, 2001, 10:23 AM
Another one about 1968 or 1969.

Anyone recognize the location?

Janet
Oct. 18, 2001, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The scuttlebutt in Ireland is that Cruising (an absolutely AMAZING jumper whose get all jump EXACTLY like him) is really by the Connemara stallion that stands on the same farm as his ISH "sire". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So what is the NAME of the COnnemara stallion that stands at teh same farm?

Weatherford
Oct. 18, 2001, 12:29 PM
Sorry, Janet - I forgot - will ask when I get back there. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Speaking of wonderful Connemaras - my friends in Ireland have one that is gorgeous.

dublin
Oct. 18, 2001, 12:39 PM
and the angle of the picture makes the log look about 6 feet high!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (It was a definite 3'6" though)

My first year of showing in 1967, in a Jr. Hunter class. You gotta love those outside courses way back when!

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
UCLA football RULES....Undefeated and #6 in the nation, baby!!

just_me
Oct. 18, 2001, 03:23 PM
Have y'all noticed that most of the riders in the pictures from the 60s and 70s are using an automatic release? Everybody's boots are shorter too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Janet
Oct. 19, 2001, 08:33 AM
Release-
We were basically only offered two options: grab mane, or TRY to have a following hand.

Boots-
The "rules" then were that your boot strap (goes through the loop at the back of the boot and around your leg) was supposed to go between the second and third buttons on your britches (no velcro). So the boots HAD to be shorter to be below the top button.

MO
Oct. 19, 2001, 09:08 AM
Keep posting thoses oldies but goodies!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
They're fabulous!!

Janet
Oct. 23, 2001, 01:45 PM
The picture of Rocket taking the wrong fence was at Maple Vista (I know the name was later changed, but I am drawing a blank).

The picture of Rocket and me winning a blue ribbon was at Fairweather Farm. Gordon Wright was the judge.

Th picture of Minstrel Boy was at the Bedford Whip and Spur Horse Show when it was held at Running Fox Farm, now Coker Farm.

[This message was edited by Janet on Oct. 23, 2001 at 05:24 PM.]

Bumpkin
Apr. 11, 2002, 07:33 AM
This is a good one to bring back...anyone else want to post some more olde photos??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

equitationlane
Apr. 11, 2002, 07:48 AM
This is REALLY from the dark ages. Mr thinks Weatherford and I are about the same age, judging by the tack.

Dementia 13
Apr. 11, 2002, 07:56 AM
Grrr, I am so irritated. I have a wonderful picture of my old pony Highland Cricket (a connemara, though that was not his registered name) jumping the outside course at the Tralee Horse show in '79 and I can't get the stupid thing to work! I am so irritated. I will try to rescan and post. Grrrr....

"What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?"

gwen
Apr. 11, 2002, 08:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BravAddict:
This was like...'93 or something...I was...nerrr...7 or 8.

Lisamarie - That pony...the predescessor of the....FAIRFIELD PONY!!!! (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!) [I'm not obsessed...I swear.]

[This message was edited by BravAddict on Oct. 16, 2001 at 11:14 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I SHOWED PATCHY FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS!!!! We did the 3'3" eq...can you believe it?? I LOVED THAT PONY!!!!!!!! She was evil sometimes but never ever stopped at a jump..i have a few videos of me showing her... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I need to learn how to post them..i rode and showed her back in 1990...

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

Dragoon
Apr. 11, 2002, 12:11 PM
I haven't seen this thread in forever! Goodness...and YES, I have many old pics of me (just need to scan them /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) with the rubber boots, big poofy bubble hat, and fat school ponies!! Don't forget the flourescent pink hat cover and schooling tights /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ....ohh, the early 90's... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I love deadlines...Especially the "whooshing" sound they make as they fly by...

supafly1208
Apr. 11, 2002, 03:58 PM
here is the pony I first started taking lessons on. back in about 85. His name is harvest, and he went on to be a "A" curcuit champion. He's about 4 here.

supafly1208
Apr. 11, 2002, 04:00 PM
This is a couple years later, on frosty at a inhouse show!

supafly1208
Apr. 11, 2002, 04:01 PM
This is at the same show on my favorite horse, Banjo.

supafly1208
Apr. 11, 2002, 04:02 PM
Bnajo again, a red ribbon, WOW!

supafly1208
Apr. 11, 2002, 04:04 PM
And finally, not too long ago, 95. This was my horse Luke. A little far away, but I like this picture.

supafly1208
Apr. 11, 2002, 04:06 PM
Last one, just so you can get how cute he was! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I miss him much /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif but i have a lot of good memories! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

equitationlane
Apr. 11, 2002, 07:23 PM
This is from Branchville, in the mid 60's.

equitationlane
Apr. 11, 2002, 08:16 PM
Me thinks that Waterford and I are about the same age/era

Dragoon
Apr. 12, 2002, 04:12 AM
(Steps on the podium)

Ahem....and that, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect example of an automatic release!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Very nice, equitationlane!

I love deadlines...Especially the "whooshing" sound they make as they fly by...

J. Turner
Apr. 12, 2002, 04:23 AM
Can someone make equitationlane's picture smaller? It's such a good pic, I want to see it all in one screen!

"Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- Shakespeare

"Oh please don't go -- we'll eat you up, we love you so."
-- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
*** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
*** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***

gwen
Apr. 12, 2002, 04:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by equitationlane:
Me thinks that Waterford and I are about the same age/era<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A RELEASE!!!!! I THINK I WILL TRY TO COPY YOU TOMORROW IN MY LESSON!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Is the beautiful horse you're riding a paint?? I see that cute white spot on his shoulder and his tail I believe..What a cutie he was!!!!
**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

equitationlane
Apr. 12, 2002, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the nice things you said about me. My horse was such a good one. After being scared to death by OTTB, I would canter and the hair would stand up on the back of my neck.

"Moony" as I called was bought from Johnny Bell(not there is a name from the REAL dark ages)for the princely sum of $750 and the TB. He gave me such confidence and carried me to a fair amount of success for a poor kid from upstate.

He was a Pinto with HIGH socks, big spot on his belly and side and a "half moon" on his tail, hence his name. Although not a good mover, he was really well balanced and had a HUGE stride.

I wish I had a barn full just like him.

Thanks again.

SillyHorse
Apr. 12, 2002, 08:39 AM
No one has noticed (or commented, anyway) that in the old days (I have a pic too, that I will get scanned) we showed without saddle pads.

SillyHorse

But hey, what do I know?

MAD
Apr. 12, 2002, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by equitationlane:
"Moony" as I called was bought from Johnny Bell(not there is a name from the REAL dark ages) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Johnny Bell (yes, the dark ages)! His name came up on the Jeopardy Thread.

reefy!
Apr. 12, 2002, 12:38 PM
From '85 or '86

Please pardon the HORRIDLY slipped back leg!
Horsie looks so cute in this one I just had to put it on here.

Now if only I had a color scanner, you'd see his pretty palomino color /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Trill
Apr. 12, 2002, 12:45 PM
here it is!

Pixie Dust
Apr. 12, 2002, 01:39 PM
This is probably about 1977 or 78 and I was 14 or 15. Can't remember. Jr. Hunter. I was about 5'9" and 105 pounds. I was the only horse rider wearing jodfur boots (well, they looked better than baggy tall boots, which was to only other option then).

Superheroes of the universe, unite!

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

gwen
Apr. 12, 2002, 01:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bgoosewood:
This is probably about 1977 or 78 and I was 14 or 15. Can't remember. Jr. Hunter. I was about 5'9" and 105 pounds. I was the only horse rider wearing jodfur boots (well, they looked better than baggy tall boots, which was to only other option then).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice picture..Is is me or do 3'6 fences look alot bigger back in the 70's than they do today?????? They just look bigger!!!!

**BARB***

Pixie Dust
Apr. 12, 2002, 01:48 PM
I don't know Gwen, everything seems to look big to me these days....I need a confidence shot! Back then, I thought nothing of doing a 3'6" course.

gwen
Apr. 12, 2002, 02:07 PM
I hear yah....after fearlessly jumped 3'6 as a junior and now 2'6 is plenty big for me now!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**BARB***

slainte!
Apr. 12, 2002, 02:55 PM
all the jumping pictures from the 50's thru the 70's just look so much more impressive! the horses, the riders.... i just wish everything looked like that still.

awesome pictures everyone!

-Liz
*Member of the Disgruntled College Student Clique!*
~proud 20 yr old bubble head~
woo hoo IHSA!

LaurieB
Apr. 12, 2002, 03:13 PM
I've posted lots of old pictures on other threads but I'm always happy to dig out one more. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This is me at Harrisburg in 1966 on my large pony.

LaurieB
Apr. 12, 2002, 03:16 PM
This is my sister, also at Harrisburg, in 1967.

Melzy
Apr. 12, 2002, 03:48 PM
LaurieB, OMG we competed against each other at Harrisburg in 1966!!! I recognized those old jumps right away! I rode a gray large named Grey Fox.

Can you believe the year before that I was Small Pony Champion? I rode another gray pony named Color Me Blue. The small pony division was 13.0 hands and under. Yes, 13.0 hands is not a typing error. That should blow the mind of lots of people. Large ponies were over 13.0 hands---14.2 hands. Yes you doubters, only 2 sizes of pony divisions! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MAD
Apr. 12, 2002, 04:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by LaurieB:
This is my sister, also at Harrisburg, in 1967. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The caption on the picture of your sister's pony was "Rommel". Did she sell the pony to Matthew Farcus (sp?)? He rode a large grey named Rommel in the early 70's. I'm wondering if it is the same pony.

LaurieB
Apr. 12, 2002, 05:19 PM
Melzy, how funny! My pony's name was Pride n' Joy and Harrisburg that year was her first indoor show ever (actually her first time in an indoor ring.) Our rounds were a little on the speedy side, ie, what's with all these lights and flags and banners, get me the heck out of here! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif She was only four at the time.

MAD, that name sounds familiar. We sold Rommel in 1971 and I know he went to Wayne Carroll's barn in North(South?) Salem. I was in college by then and my sister had had a bad accident and given up riding so unfortunately no one in my family ever kept track of what became of him. He was a really wonderful pony.

PonyJumperGRL
Apr. 13, 2002, 09:15 AM
Well, I don't have any 'Dark Ages' pictures, but then again, I've only been riding for 5 years...a lot less then most of you...

Here's a picture of my pony Snickers and I about 4 1/2 years ago in Pony Club!

*Gift of Honor*Gallants Talent*

MAD
Apr. 13, 2002, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by LaurieB:
MAD, that name sounds familiar. We sold Rommel in 1971 and I know he went to Wayne Carroll's barn in North(South?) Salem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! That is the same pony because they rode with Wayne!

luv2jump
Apr. 13, 2002, 11:15 AM
Yep , that would be the same Rommel that Mathew had. I remember him vividly getting taken off with at the outdoor shows on those outside courses at Fairfield, NYPony Show,etc. ( note pelham ) He was a great pony , but had a mouth of steel on him. Acutally , it is funny to see how many horses back in the 60's and 70 's went in pelhams!!!

horselesswonder
Apr. 13, 2002, 12:17 PM
Me and my 13.3h large at Quentin, PA in the '80s.

Leesa
Apr. 13, 2002, 04:15 PM
Foxfield Medal Finals, Santa Barbara 1974. Oh, I was so young.

Leesa
Apr. 13, 2002, 04:35 PM
Rommel finished his pony hunter career with the Bromans on Long Island. He then became a driving pony. He was such a good jumper, the two boys would always get called back on top in the stake classes and moved back on conformation.
He always went in that pelham, and he did have a tough mouth.

canadian eh?
Apr. 13, 2002, 05:09 PM
This is a great topic, here's my entry /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LaurieB
Apr. 13, 2002, 05:58 PM
When we had him, he didn't have a tough mouth at all. The reason he went in a pelham is because in those days, horses and ponies were not considered to be completely "dressed" unless they went in a bridle with two reins. It was the fashion then. Note that my pony, Pride, who also had a nice mouth is wearing a full bridle.

What Rommel did have was a stubborn streak. When he decided he really wanted to do something, he was simply going to do it no matter how his rider felt. Thankfully those times were rare with us.

About his conformation. With his loong back nobody would have called Rommel a conformation pony however he was capable of holding his own. In 1967, his first year at Devon he was called back to jog 2nd in the Conformation Hunter class and moved up to first over Prim n' Proper. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The following year at Devon he placed 6th in the Model (that one kind of shocked all of us /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) He went on to win the Conformation class again as well as another O/F class and was champion.

slainte!
Apr. 13, 2002, 06:06 PM
nice air with that pony!!!!

-Liz
woo hoo IHSA!

Bumpkin
Apr. 13, 2002, 06:23 PM
It has a photo from the 70's of the original Bumpkin /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Doing A/O at the Nile Shriner's Show at the olde long gone Central Park Stables arena.

luv2jump
Apr. 13, 2002, 06:45 PM
Laurie,
Where s that great photo of Rommel taken ( brush box outside course ) I sure do miss those days of the outside courses!!!
He was a great jumper!! And your sister is great too!!!

DS
Apr. 13, 2002, 08:30 PM
hey was that picture at watchung stables in NJ? the tee- shirt looks familar.. hmm camp perhaps??

Ok I'm outa here like a fat kid in dodge ball!

DS
Apr. 13, 2002, 08:42 PM
wow.. i cant believe i'm doing this.. sober none the less!
uggg the fun year of 92'

Ok I'm outa here like a fat kid in dodge ball!

MAD
Apr. 14, 2002, 05:42 AM
We sold Rommel in 1971 ............ so unfortunately no one in my family ever kept track of what became of him. He was a really wonderful pony. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by Leesha:
Rommel finished his pony hunter career with the Bromans on Long Island. He then became a driving pony. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty cool, after 31 years LaurieB now knows what became of her sister's pony - all the way to his end - because of this board!

horselesswonder
Apr. 14, 2002, 07:12 AM
Thanks green_lizzie! That pony had a stride about as long as my own, but man could she jump. She thought nothing of jumping over four feet. Of course if I saw a four-foot fence these days, I'd probably faint.

slainte!
Apr. 14, 2002, 07:17 AM
hahahaha, very true!

-Liz
woo hoo IHSA!

LaurieB
Apr. 14, 2002, 04:47 PM
luv2jump, that picture was taken at the Huntington Valley Horse show in eastern Pennsylvania. The location was somewhere northwest of Philadelphia and the show was held every year at the end of Sept.

Though the show did have an outside course--you can just about see a wing from one of the jumps way in the background--and the ponies showed over it in a class or two, that particular picture was taken in the ring.

MAD, I totally agree. This BB is a wonder, and I've passed the info along to my sister who was delighted to get it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tobi
Apr. 15, 2002, 07:11 AM
OK, I almost posted a reply when i first saw the picture and then thought, no it can't be, BUT...

that picture would have been taken in Warrington PA at my uncle (Steve Harris's) farm. my dad has been master of the Huntington Valley Hunt since the early 70's and my uncle has been a whip. i will have to find some of my short stirrup pictures from there.

in the 60's my dad and uncle both rode with Junie Kulp on a horse named Royal Mint. i think i can find some of their pictures as well.

Laurie did you ever show at Fox Heath? that is my parents farm. they apparently had some big shows there in the 70's. in the 60's it was Bonnie Brook farm.

Emma1
Apr. 15, 2002, 07:56 AM
Weatherford, the location from your 68-69 picture looks so familiar, where is it? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

LaurieB
Apr. 15, 2002, 09:32 AM
My sister and I rode with Junie from 1965-1968. We showed at tons of shows all over that area of Pennsylvania. Unfortunately I mostly remember the shows by their names rather than their locations. I imagine that was the same farm though, and it was a beautiful place. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tobi
Apr. 15, 2002, 10:25 AM
LaurieB

Did you know Amy and Betsy Mattern? I'm not sure if they showed with Junie or not, but they definitely showed ponies in the area. it might have been in the '70's though.

I eventually rode Amy's pony Farnley Triumph in the Pony medal classes in the mid-'80's. he was 18 when i showed him in the AHSA Pony Finals in '86!!

LaurieB
Apr. 15, 2002, 01:03 PM
Sorry, I didn't know Amy and Betsy Mattern. They were probably after my time.

Back then there weren't quite as many Farnley ponies around as there are now. The ones I remember showing at the time were Farnley Nimbus, Farnley Icing with Cindy Wiener and Farnley Gallilee with Debbie Wolfe.

suzy
Apr. 15, 2002, 01:44 PM
I loved all of your pictures. It was so nostalgic to see them since I showed hunters in the late 60's, early 70's. Between your photos and longeing a student's really talented horse over fences yesterday, I'm starting to really miss jumping. Ahhhh (loud scream). Quick, one of you moderators put me back on the dressage board where I belong! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Leesa
Apr. 15, 2002, 06:12 PM
Laurie remember you had Rommel in the late 60's, the Broman's had him in the late 70's. 10 years would have an effect on his conformation.
The Broman's also had a pony named Franley Bronze Star he won the model at Devon, poor Rommel wasn't even called. But Rommel always jumped the best, all one has to do is look at your pictures.

Melzy
Apr. 15, 2002, 07:38 PM
LaurieB, did you know the pony Chantilly?

Dementia 13
Apr. 16, 2002, 06:22 AM
I remember Farnley Bronze Star back in 1972 or 1973 when Lolly Wright had him at Mrs. Dillons. I loved that pony, he was so sweet.

LaurieB
Apr. 16, 2002, 06:32 AM
Chantilly was my dream small pony! I knew her when Syndy Paul had her, probably around 1967, after she came up from Waverly Farm in Virginia. She was that gorgeous seal brown color, beautiful mover, wonderful jumper. I loved that pony!

I'll attach a picture from the Ox Ridge Small Pony Model. Chantilly is standing third with Syndy, though this picture doesn't do her justice. She was much prettier than that.

Melzy
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:39 AM
LaurieB, I took care of her the last 3 years of her life. I loved her too. I have lots of photos of her at the farm. She is buried there also. Sorry, I don't have a scanner.

Tobi
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:19 AM
so i finally remembered to scan two pictures from me from the 70's. i am riding High Field's Cry Wolf (wolfie), in the short stirrup at my parent's farm (Fox Heath).

i'm not sure if this was an equitation or pleasure class (my reins are a bit long!!) AND i need to get my heels down!!

note the no saddle pad under my ancient Barnsby saddle!!

isn't he a cutie though!!

Tobi
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:24 AM
here is a jumping pic.

note the HUGE number on my back!!

smc
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:15 AM
hey leesa and margaretf, when i was at trader's point in 83 guess who was there. yup farnley bronze star! coming from long island it was good to see him still going.

LaurieB
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:16 AM
Great pictures, Tobi!

Those Highfields ponies were wonderful. A girl at my barn had the incredible Highfields Town and Country, and we showed against Highfields Master Thom and Highfields Snapshot. When my sister was pony shopping, she tried out Highfields Unforgettable but ended up with Rommel instead. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bumpkin
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:16 AM
This is a great thread.
Thank you for all the wonderful old snapshots. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buryinghill2
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:24 AM
When I was a kid at Fairfield we had a school pony that had been the Mckinney's, Highfields Hippoty Hop. He was a cutie!

2Dogs
Apr. 17, 2002, 12:06 PM
you all have probably seen these, but here goes:

me and my pony Not Guilty, Maryland Pony Show...maybe 1960??

Dementia 13
Apr. 17, 2002, 12:10 PM
2dogs I love that picture. Your pony looks like Cricket, my old pony.

I WILL get my picture of Cricket scanned!

slainte!
Apr. 17, 2002, 12:59 PM
you look SO confident over that fence. i love your flat back and expression on your face. SSOOO classy!

-Liz
woo hoo IHSA!

MAD
Apr. 17, 2002, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by 2dogs:
me and my pony Not Guilty, Maryland Pony Show...maybe 1960?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2dogs! I love that picture. That is the best picture on this thread yet. You should send that one in for the GM Jumping Clinic at Practical Horseman.

2Dogs
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:23 PM
Thank you ALL!! My mom scraped the money together to buy that pony, who was a fabulous jumper and was the Maryland Pny Jumper
Champ back in the late 50's or early 60's. My memory is so pathetic, I can't remember the exact year! We bought her from Chuck Winslow. I rode with a woman out of Rock Creek Stables named Dottie German. Any of you remember her? Ayhoo, I was only 8 and decided to make her a "hunter" so, we had to gallop around the ring for hours just to get the pony quiet enough for a lesson. But believe me, she jumped 5 feet with ease. I have another picture I will post - some may have seen - not quite as confident as all the "stuff" is in the way. Again, outside course, Maryland pony show

2Dogs
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:25 PM
And here are some of my mentor - my mother - circa the 30's at Blowing Rock.....and one of my grandfather, circa....geez early 20's?. That will be the next one or two

equitationlane
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:27 PM
Did you used to have Little Sombrero? I remember her as a cute little brown horse.

2Dogs
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:27 PM
another

2Dogs
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:28 PM
and woops, that isn't my grandfather riding but his horse

here's another from that era

2Dogs
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:28 PM
forgot the picture

slainte!
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:36 PM
WOW..... and i love those old flat bridles. they look so neat. these old pictures are incredible. i only wish i could have been a rider of that era...

-Liz
woo hoo IHSA!

LaurieB
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:02 PM
2Dogs, what wonderful pictures! Your mother looks great--and you do too. Got to love those old appointment classes. I'll post a picture of me doing one at North Shore in '69. (sorry about the photo quality, it's starting to disintegrate.)

equitationlane, no I didn't have Little Sombrero. The name sounds familiar though, so I imagine I was showing when she was around. I mostly showed large ponies. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2Dogs
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:49 PM
LaurieB: now you look like a wonderful rider! Me, just a little kid hanging on for dear life, but thanks all for the compliments. But heh, did any of the rest of you have to learn about "counting strides"??? (yup, 30 years later I didn't have a clue....).
I have more great oldies of my mom...I will post as I can. My grandfather had a few jumpers, but he was into trotters, as was my great grandfather.

GabyNRed
Apr. 18, 2002, 05:17 AM
2Dogs, great pictures! i love those old pictures, there so..cool /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif your mom looks like she lost a sturrip there /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tobi
Apr. 18, 2002, 05:44 AM
2Dogs & LaurieB - great pictures!!!!

besides the riders looking great (2Dogs was your mom concerned about losing her stirrup in your first picture?), but the horses look great as well. they look extremely happy in their jobs and their form is great too!!

dare2beam
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:09 AM
your pictures are WONDERFUL! I have a picture of my father riding.....I wish I could scan at work! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif There is just something about those old riding photos! Please post more if you have any /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Remi and me
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:17 AM
Laurie B - I have a picture of me and stupid little stallion jumping over the same fence at North Shore. Too bad I don't own a scanner!

2dogs - I love flat bridles! My horse wreaked my last flat bridle last fall. I think it was like 30 years old - a Crosby. Thanks for sharing.

Weatherford
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:22 AM
That picture was at the "new" St. Bernard's School Showgrounds - the year they took most of the permanant fences out of the outside course. We were all heartbroken when we got there to find PORTABLE fences out in the big field. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I remember ALL THOSE WONDERFUL PONIES!! Showed against them (Mine was Kool-Aid, but I didn't show as much as you guy! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) What GREAT pictures!

MAD
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:38 AM
that it used to be called the "outside course" and now it is the "hunter ring"?

LaurieB
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:46 AM
I have bunches of old pictures. Most have been posted on other threads, but I'll put a few up here.

Funny, when I look at old pictures of myself all I see is my foot shoved repeatedly all the way into the stirrup in my custom Vogels. The boots arrived with the foot made much too big. When I tried to complain (I was a little kid and in my experience, no one listens to little kids) I was told that it had been made that way on purpose so my foot could grow and I wouldn't grow out of the boots. Well, my foot never grew. Not to this day. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Here's a picture from the Garden 1967.

LaurieB
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:49 AM
And another. Same show, same year.

LaurieB
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:54 AM
Here's a picture of Terry Rudd, who went on to ride for the USET. She is 16 or 17 here. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the horse--I believe it was a catch ride for her. The horse in the background (roan with white face) is Ricki Rothstein's wonderful Junior Hunter, Wee Ken.

LaurieB
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:58 AM
This is the pony Hot Shot Kid that Terry rode to the HOTY title several times in the early '60s. Hot Shot was 13.2 and showed as a Large Pony (there were only small and large divisions then.) The rider here is Terry's younger sister, Susie.

Princess Lauren
Apr. 18, 2002, 07:07 AM
got to lvoe those britches and tha long hair (in the pic of Terry Rudd). I'm not old at all (17, haha) and I've been horrified to see that riders have started riding with their hair hanging out of their helmuts.

-Lauren-
[Vantage Point][Imagine That] (http://www.geocities.com/viewpoint_stables/imaginethat.html).
[Come As You Are] (http://www.geocities.com/viewpoint_stables/comeasyouare.html). [Once In A Blue Moon] (http://www.geocities.com/viewpoint_stables/onceinabluemoon.html).

Tobi
Apr. 18, 2002, 07:22 AM
hey were those people in the stands at the garden for a hunter class??

also, you have to love those old wings!! we used to have a ton of those at our farm.

LaurieB, did you ever show at June Fete? my dad always talks about the great outside course they had. i think it was a pretty big A show in the 60's - 70's.

the show still goes on today, but it is only a B show and there are two regular rings.

slainte!
Apr. 18, 2002, 07:39 AM
i love that 2nd picture of you at the garden. what a beautiful horse

-Liz
woo hoo IHSA!

LaurieB
Apr. 18, 2002, 07:42 AM
Princess Lauren, we younger kids all idolized Terry. She was a great rider even then. So when she started wearing her hair in two long pony tails we all did too. And we all looked a mess. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (see picture below.)

Tobi, I don't remember much about the show but I know we showed there because there were some people at my barn who always pronounced it June Feet. Before the first time we went, I always wondered where the heck we were going. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Thanks green lizzie!

Weatherford
Apr. 18, 2002, 12:46 PM
I think I posted this before, but for those who missed it, one of Terry's ponies, I think Hot Shot Kid (which ever was Harrisburg Champion in 1958), wound up at a very good friend's farm for her nephew in 1990!!! He looked old, but had a great coat and bright eye - and to watch him trot in from the far end of the field for dinner was a sight to behold! FLOATED even at that extreme age.

He carried my friend's 8 yr old nephew around, foxhunted, etc, then died around 91 or 92.

Amazing pony!

Dementia 13
Apr. 18, 2002, 12:58 PM
would anyone be interested in a "whatever happened to these ponies from the 60s and 70s thread?"

There are so many ponies I knew and loved from that era, I'd really like to know if anyone else remembers them!

buryinghill2
Apr. 18, 2002, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MargaretF:
would anyone be interested in a "whatever happened to these ponies from the 60s and 70s thread?"

There are so many ponies I knew and loved from that era, I'd really like to know if anyone else remembers them!

"What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do a search, there was a lengthy thread on this topic a long while ago.

Dementia 13
Apr. 18, 2002, 01:05 PM
I did, actually I think I was a lurker on that thread, but there are tons more ponies that I am curious about.

Its so wonderful hearing about LaurieB's pony - I remember reading about that pony in the Chronicle all the time. Love those pictures from MSG.

malarkey
Apr. 18, 2002, 01:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weatherford:
OK

Auto release time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weatherford,

George would be proud ;-)

Lovely pics you have posted. Like the one of your dad too. I'll try & dig up some oldies of me tonight & scan them in. They aren't as grand as yours are though...

malarkey
Apr. 18, 2002, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
I have bunches of old pictures. Most have been posted on other threads, but I'll put a few up here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LaurieB,

I am not worthy.

Margie ;-)

Those pics look straight out of George Morris' book, Hunt Seat Equitation. Perfect.

malarkey
Apr. 18, 2002, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MargaretF:
Grrr, I am so irritated. I have a wonderful picture of my old pony Highland Cricket (a connemara, though that was not his registered name) jumping the outside course at the Tralee Horse show in '79 and I can't get the stupid thing to work! I am so irritated. I will try to rescan and post. Grrrr....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was your connie a Jiminy Cricket baby? I'd love to see the picture...

2Dogs
Apr. 18, 2002, 02:16 PM
Oh LaurieB you are making my day! Terry Rudd was riding Hot Shot Kid when I was showing and how I hated her! Me with my ex-jumper pony, funny trainer and mother groom, and she, adorable, capable, with the great pony....WAAAH, my first lesson in envy! I remember sitting in the bleachers at the Garden with a group (that I really didn't belong to but I tried to sit close...) who were all gossiping about Terry, hush...."didn't you know she's really 19"...and "didn't you know her pony's really 15 hands".... . Hilarious comments like that -

I rode with Susie Dent for two summers when I no longer could afford my pony and kind of "catch rode" down at Polaris when Jimmy Lee was their coach. Now they had some great ponies!!

Weatherford
Apr. 18, 2002, 02:18 PM
This is my Highfield's pony (Highfield's Sir Andrew) (12.1 could jump anything!) out hunting - I know the jumping pictures are more fun, but he was so cute and so good to me!!!

LaurieB
Apr. 18, 2002, 02:22 PM
Sorry that last picture wasn't working--I think I have it fixed now.

And yes, Tobi, the stands were filled like that on a Saturday afternoon for the hunter classes at the Garden. Quite a change from now!

2Dogs, was Susie Dent Mackie Dent's sister? Or were they somehow related?

just_me
Apr. 18, 2002, 04:08 PM
Weatherford, those pics are sooo cute, and Newmarkets too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2Dogs
Apr. 18, 2002, 05:57 PM
LaurieB: yes, Mackie is Susie's younger brother. Susie was an absolutely beautiful rider, but I think Mackie was too little to be interested then. How that has changed -
I ran into Mackie at a Deep Run - Keswick joint hunt meet last year!

LaurieB
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:56 PM
2Dogs: I haven't seen Mackie since the night of the Grosvenor Ball at the Plaza Hotel in 1970. I wonder if he'd remember? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, I think everyone envied Terry back then (at least all the teenage girls). She was gorgeous, rode incredibly well, had a great horse (Brenton Reef, plus all the catch rides she could handle)and drove a red convertible GTO. What more could anyone ask for? /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

malarkey
Apr. 18, 2002, 09:15 PM
here's a pic of me from the dark ages ;-) I can't compete with ya'll who have fab photos from the Garden & such, but this was my very first pony...

I was born 'horse-crazy'. I don't ever remember NOT being obsessed.

LaurieB
Apr. 19, 2002, 06:26 AM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

just_me
Apr. 19, 2002, 06:33 AM
Margie - Loved your riding outfit. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif What, no helmet? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bumpkin
Apr. 19, 2002, 07:35 AM
You have not aged a day!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Although her mount is now a lovely dark bay /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
And a wee bit' taller. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Emma1
Apr. 19, 2002, 12:04 PM
Weatherford, I knew it, I knew it, I knew it, I should have said St. Bernards because I knew it (it looked just a tad different than I remeber it in the 80s)

LaurieB, that is soooooo funny about your boot size. It would be impossible to look as fabulous as you do in that shot and have your stirrup under your heel.

Llanwellyn
Apr. 19, 2002, 01:21 PM
Hey everyone, awesome pictures!
I have a question for those who showed in the Junior Hunter in the mid-70's. Do any of you remember Kathy Danker? She had a Small Junior, Porscha, & a Large Junior. I'm not sure of his show name, but his barn name was Pete. I know Kathy & Pete were Reserve at Devon in '76 in the Large Juniors. She trained with Gary Kunsman. Why I ask is because Kathy (now Kate DeSantis) is my genetics teacher (and was my Adv. Biology last year). She has showed me a few of her Devon pictures. They are so cool! Mrs. DeSantis also showed me an add about her Small offered for sale in the Chronicle the year before she bought her (I think it was '73). It's fun talking to her about when she showed back in the day. Everything she did, I do now. Anyway, if anyone remembers her let me know. She likes hearing that people remember her from the horse show world! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

*Jodie*

just_me
Apr. 19, 2002, 01:28 PM
Does she still ride?

PinkPonie
Apr. 19, 2002, 07:49 PM
This post has a topic by itself but I decided to take ben & Me's suggestion and try asking here:

Has anyone who showed the big A shows and stuff way back in the day, like during the 60's, 70's or even earlier ever heard of my trainer? Her name is Donna Caston. I know she did the Maclay Medal and all that, she also trained at the USET Headquarters and was going to ride in the Olympics but just a few weeks (months?) before the Olympics her trainer passed away so she didn't get to ride, but was an alternate (I am pretty sure that is the story). So I am just curious if anyone here knew her or if anyone has ever heard of her and remembers her...

Steph & The Frito Bandito
~*~Member of the Vertically Gifted Clique~*~

Weatherford
Apr. 20, 2002, 06:18 AM
I don't remember anyone with the first name Donna riding for the team - that is not to say she didn't. I double checked the results listings at the end of the USET's book of riding, which goes to 1976, and there is no Donna there in any of the disciplines. The listing is, however, incomplete.

That is not to say she didn't get to go to Gladstone to train - that was an honor in itself. A friend of mine who trained with the AWESOME group of young riders that included Joe Fargis, Conrad Homfeld, Melanie Smith (Taylor), Leslie Burr (Howard), Buddy Brown, and Michael Mitz said it was a little intimidating. To paraphrase her comment, "they would jump through Bert's gymnastics 10 times and 9 would be right...I'd jump through 10 times and 1 would be right..." (actually, knowing her, she was FAR better than that!) However, with that group of candidates, she decided to remain in the Amateur ranks and do other disciplines (racing, for one).

Plus, Eventing had its own group of "candidates" who trained at Gladstone (with Stefan Von Visy), then at Ledyard (with Jack LeGoff), and Dressage first with Richard Watjen, then with Bjent Ljundquist.

So, does your coach have a maiden name? Where was she from?

Weatherford
Apr. 20, 2002, 06:22 AM
I once heard from a COUSIN of mine that I NEARLY RODE FOR THE TEAM! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I said, no, no way - one GrandPrix, yes, but not the Team by a long shot. Haven't a CLUE where she heard this!!

Don't I WISH it were true!!

PinkPonie
Apr. 20, 2002, 10:08 AM
Why didn't I think of her maiden name!! Her Maiden name was Brown, and I was talking to my dad and he said it would have been like the 68' or 72' Olympics.

StarDoozer
Apr. 20, 2002, 01:04 PM
I don't have any early riding pictures of me scanned (they'd only be from about 1986 or so anyway, which doesn't seem very "Dark Ages") but I have a great one of my mom jumping here arab/saddlebred circa 1970... :-)

StarDoozer
Apr. 20, 2002, 01:05 PM
And one picture of me....

Weatherford
Apr. 20, 2002, 02:59 PM
Do you mean Buddy Brown's ex wife Donna Brown? She was an amateur, and she may have been invited to Gladstone in the mid-70's, but I think of her as being more a hunter/eq rider - Buddy rode for the Team for most of the 70's/80's.

Not '68 showjumping - Carol (Hofmann) Thompson was definitely the alternate that year. And I don't think '72 -

But there are others on this board who might know better than I do - Emmett? LaurieP?

Weatherford
Apr. 20, 2002, 03:04 PM
I just found these from 1973...

Weatherford
Apr. 20, 2002, 03:15 PM
one more - this time Jumpers

PinkPonie
Apr. 20, 2002, 07:31 PM
Do you mean Buddy Brown's ex wife Donna Brown? She was an amateur, and she may have been invited to Gladstone in the mid-70's, but I think of her as being more a hunter/eq rider - Buddy rode for the Team for most of the 70's/80's.

Not '68 showjumping - Carol (Hofmann) Thompson was definitely the alternate that year. And I don't think '72 -

But there are others on this board who might know better than I do - Emmett? LaurieP?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I wasn't sure so I asked my dad, and he said he was pretty sure Donna was never divorced. . . She wasn't a hunter/eq person either (I don't think so anyways), I am 99 percent sure she did showjumping sooo I dunno /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif ...

By the way, great pictures weatherford (and everyone else!!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Weatherford
Apr. 20, 2002, 07:48 PM
Was she American? Might she have been from Canada or Bermuda or US VI?

PinkPonie
Apr. 21, 2002, 06:32 AM
no she was american. . . I have tried on all the search engines I can think of to find something about her but no luck!! Oh well...

LaurieB
Apr. 21, 2002, 12:42 PM
StarDoozer, that some jump your mother is jumping! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif How high is that?

Dementia 13
Apr. 25, 2002, 07:42 AM
Finally! I have wanting to post this picture for ages. This is Highland Cricket, the large pony I owned from 1975 until his death in 1993, at the age of 30. He was a registered Connemara by Texas Hope, and he won everything at the local shows in Virginia, and even at some As. He was not the prettiest pony, but he could jump anything.

He was the best first pony a girl could want, and I miss him every day.

PS - this picture was taken on the outside course at the Tralee Horse Show in VA. We didn't place in this class, but won the class that was held in the ring.

Bumpkin
Apr. 25, 2002, 07:51 AM
He is awesome!!!
And what a SPLENDID log jump!!
You both look like you are having a grand time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MAD
Apr. 25, 2002, 07:55 AM
Perfect picture!

LaurieB
Apr. 25, 2002, 09:37 AM
I love the pricked ears and tight knees. He looks so typical of the good ponies of that era who could really get the job done, and have a great time doing it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dementia 13
Apr. 25, 2002, 10:28 AM
Thank you everyone! That would have been a great epitaph for him, Laurie, for he indeed got the job done.

Instead, the one I used was "there will never be another like you." and truly for me, I don't think there will, though Phyllis comes awfully close.

SBT
Apr. 25, 2002, 04:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DS:
hey was that picture at watchung stables in NJ? the tee- shirt looks familar.. hmm camp perhaps??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope! This was at Simple Gifts Farm in Harleysville, PA, the town I lived in until I was 11. And it was just a plain lesson, not camp. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Sara /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Leesa
Apr. 25, 2002, 06:29 PM
I don't remember the year they discontinued the practice, but back in the 60's and 70's if you won 20 USET Classes you were invited to ride at Gladstone for a week or two. Maybe that is what Donna Brown was doing at Gladstone.

Spider
Apr. 26, 2002, 12:19 PM
Here's a picture of my grandfather, he's riding a friends horse.

"Polo isn't a sport. It's golf on horseback, without the holes. It's a great concept, but it's not a sport. And as far as water polo is concerned, I hesitate to mention it, because it's extremely cruel to the horses." - George Carlin

lauriep
Apr. 26, 2002, 01:12 PM
Spider. Can you upload it again?

Laurie

SillyHorse
Apr. 30, 2002, 04:47 AM
I finally got this picture scanned. I'm riding Foxy, a little horse I had leased for the summer. It was taken in 1965, in the days of canary breeches, sky blue summer jackets, and outside courses.

SillyHorse
~ PRIDE: It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't have any

Dementia 13
Apr. 30, 2002, 05:20 AM
I miss those days, SillyHorse!

Great picture and love that release!

baymare
Apr. 30, 2002, 10:36 AM
they give me the urge to rip around over an old fashioned outside course...What a loss to the hunter world that they have become so rare these days.

MargaretF I have met a lot of relations of your pony! for years Fox Ridge Starlight, a full Connemara Texas Hope son, stood just up the road from me at Gilnocky Farm in Windsor, VT. He sired a ton of great jumping, sound, ponies and was crossed with a bunch of TBs as well. I wish I had one today!

Dementia 13
Apr. 30, 2002, 10:50 AM
I know Gilnocky Farm! I remember a pony named Gilnocky Taurus that used to show and some other Gilnocky ponies whose names escape me at the moment!

RSB
Apr. 30, 2002, 11:19 AM
Cricket looks just like my Connemara pony (Good Decision) I used to have back in the late 80's! Blackie jumped EXACTLY the same way too. He was the best pony, he would adjust himself to the distance every time. He must have been in his 20's when I had him, (1987-1989) then he dies about 3 years later.

horselesswonder
Apr. 30, 2002, 08:41 PM
Did you show Good Decision in Zone 2 in the late 80's? If so, I remember him. Great pony!

Dementia 13
May. 1, 2002, 07:11 AM
I'd love to see a picture of your pony, nycitygirl!

RSB
May. 1, 2002, 07:14 AM
Yes, I did show is Zone 2 in the late 80's! He was the best pony ever.

MargretF, I wish I had a scanner to post a pic. Sorry!

domino
May. 1, 2002, 12:44 PM
this isn't really the dark ages, but it is for me. this was in 1989, when i rode a horse for the first time. it was a friend's pony in west virginia. i didn't actually start riding until like 1995, but oh well!

-----------------------------
"If all goes well, you've overlooked something."
"Humpty Dumpty was pushed."