PDA

View Full Version : Let's Meet (part 3?)

Erin
Oct. 16, 2000, 07:38 PM
Okay, is anyone else having problems keeping all these E-Searchers straight? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Since we seem to have a ton of new faces around here recently, I thought it was about time to revisit the famous "Let's Meet" thread, and its sequel, from way back at the beginning of the year.

For historical reference (and to save typing for those of us who have already introduced ourselves!), here are the two older threads:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000437.html

http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000714.html

Hopefully this will keep everyone busy for a while. The chief cat herder needs some time off! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Erin
Oct. 16, 2000, 07:38 PM
Okay, is anyone else having problems keeping all these E-Searchers straight? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Since we seem to have a ton of new faces around here recently, I thought it was about time to revisit the famous "Let's Meet" thread, and its sequel, from way back at the beginning of the year.

For historical reference (and to save typing for those of us who have already introduced ourselves!), here are the two older threads:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000437.html

http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000714.html

Hopefully this will keep everyone busy for a while. The chief cat herder needs some time off! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Duffy
Oct. 16, 2000, 07:40 PM
Awww, Poor Erin! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This is Duffy - one of the official Welcome Wagon posters! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ClemsonGraduateRider
Oct. 16, 2000, 07:48 PM
OMG aparently I have never posted in the let's meet thread . . so I suppose I should now.

Well . . . I obviously go to Clemson and I ride for the Intercollegiate team there. I do pretty well, I went to Nationals last year for intermediate Over fences (and now I have to ride in Open Fences . . .SCARY! LOL) I have a large pony who I have had forever, he is soo fat and my mommy rides him now (not enough obviously)

I live in Chantilly VA and otherwise Clemson. My major at school is sports marketing . .I love it and I plan to go to law school one day.

Uhh I have just put my feet in the water with this jumpers thing and I love it. It was a little scary the first time (who am I kidding . I almost peed in my pants). I am okay with jumping large fences at my leisure at home one at a time . . .however a course (fast course) at a show is a whole new ball game. I can't wait to do it again and kick butt next time though!! HEHe

Okay I have rambled quite enough . . talk to you all soon!!

Oh yeah I almost forgot I have volunteered my services to chair the Peeps Defense Fund as well . . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Black Market Radio
Oct. 16, 2000, 07:55 PM
I'll get it going Erin, good idea!

My name is Angel, I am 23 years old and getting married to the most wonderful guy on the planet on September 28th!!!! (He loves horses, that's why he's so great!)

Anyway, I am primarily a Dressage rider, but I dabble in the hunters and jumpers because I don't know if my current mount is going to make it very far in the dressage world, not because of lack of talent, because she is VERY talented, she just has some bad habbits that might not get her good scores.

But, she loves to jump and is absolutly gorgeous, and has a pedigree to drool over... And she was found in the backyard of a really nice guy that didn't have much use for her.

I plan to breed her to a WB stallion hopefull next year, if finances of a young married couple will allow it!

I am known on this board as the DQ that hates ear bunnies and most other gadgets, and quite often the butt of jokes about it, which I usually don't take offense to!

Oh, and I am the founder of the CA clique!

Duffy
Oct. 16, 2000, 07:55 PM
Oh, but ClemsonRider, what about our Dog Park project?!?!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, now back to the "topic" at hand...I am, ahem, a member of the over 40 clique. I show in the older adult amateurs. I do so not only because I lease my current horse, but also because I am a single parent and because I'm not sure, at may advanced age, that I'm ready to tackle 3'6" again. It's just been TOOOO long! It would take a very special horse and very nice and cooperative childcare assistance for me to do the A/O's! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have gotten so much from this BB. . .New friends that have provided more than friendship over the last nine months. . .Ya'll know who you are and know how special you are to me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So, thank you COTH, Erin and others, for this wonderful place to come to chat, relax, vent, laugh, etc!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Duffy (edited 10-16-2000).]

Louise
Oct. 16, 2000, 07:57 PM
Only thing wrong with this is that I can't remember if I ever posted on one of the older threads(approaching senility ya know). Might be easier to just introduce myself all over again.

Lets see: I'm 52 years old, work in Distribution for a company that makes medical equipment. I have two horses, and I bore everybody to death with stories about them.

There's Promise, my TB mare - she is 17 now (where have the years gone?) I got her when she was 4. When she was 5 she was diagnosed with a cracked pelvis, so she has led a life of leisure. She is sweet, gentle and not the brightest bulb on the planet, and, she is the light of my life, I call her my "walking valium". Nicknames - Miss Priss and Fuzzy Numbnoggin.

Stormy is my 25 year old Polish Warmblood. He has done everything from A jumpers, to any kind of hunter work you can name, to lower level dressage. I got him when he was 20 and had a few good years with him, but he is now retired also, his feet,(quote from my farrier, who works with problem feet "he has the worst feet I have ever seen")have finally given out on him. He is bold, brassy and as smart as they come. I can always count on him for a laugh. Nicknames - Old Sinner and Grampa Big Pain.

So here I am, with two horses, both retired, and nothing to ride. And, I wouldn't change it for the world. I consider myself extremely lucky to have two such wonderful animals to care for.

Oh, I ride dressage, but hang out here most of the time because the people are so much fun and have forgotton more than I will ever know.

LOL, thats it, more than you ever wanted to know, I'm sure.

sjh
Oct. 16, 2000, 07:59 PM
I never posted on the Let's meet threads either.

My name is Sarah and I am a college student at a local college. I ALMOST went to the University of Michigan, even held my spot there and was all ready but at last minute I backed out because it was a terrible commute and I wasn't planning on living in the dorms. I may go there next year if I get an apartment in Ann Arbor. Well, enough rambling about that!

I have two thoroughbred mares, one is 16.2h and is 11, Sunset is my jumper that I have put through everything in the past 5 years. My other mare (Tail) I have only had for 2 months. She flunked off the track and decided that life would be better as a hunter. Er, maybe I decided that one. She is still VERY green.

I will be showing in the A/A jumpers most likely next year on my Sunset and the super green hunter classes on Tail. (first year as an adult, scary!)

Tail needs a name, do you have any names that begin with T that would be cute for a little bay mare with a blaze and white in her tail?

Jaded
Oct. 16, 2000, 08:03 PM
Neat idea /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

O.k, where to start.....my name is Jaded (or TinCan which I want to change back to...), I'm 20 and I live in warn sunny *lol* Ontario, Canada and own Tin Can Cody an 8 year old 16hh appendix QH bay (gee, you wouldn't have guess QH from that name huh?). My sister owns 3 other horses, Taylor, Brie and Reggier.
Taylor is a resell mare who we got out of a nasty home, she's an 15.3hh 10 year old TB mare; bay with a star. She's mine to work with.
Brie is a 17hh Sport horse mare (TB/WB) who is a 6 year old bay (star and two socks) 6 1/2 months in foal to a jumper stallion.
The last is Reggie, he's the newest and is a 17hh TB/WB bay, 8 years old with a start and a white smear on his hind left.

I ride hunter/jumper on the various levels (nothing major, I have no money) and I teach part time (beginners and nvices) on Tin and a pony I lease. I don't have a lot of time lately because of school (archtecture) but I fit everyone in :-)

Feel free to e-mail me and/or check out my website (e-mails on it) http://www.collectabay.homestead.com/main.html
*beware it's in the works*

Also something about me that you may or may not have figured out already is that I can go on and on and on and on and on and on............

HSM
Oct. 16, 2000, 08:14 PM
OOPS!! Didn't see this thread before I started mine with the esearch intros - sorry for any confusion! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/confused.gif But I'm glad to see this one - I must've missed it before. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bumpkin
Oct. 16, 2000, 08:21 PM
I think I have slipped through the crack on the Let's Meet threads.
I use to be the most Horse Crazy person I ever knew.
After showing in A/O on my dream horse, Bumpkin, living in England for 4 years and losing my nerve, I faded out of horses at the ripe old age of 30 and got married and had a daughter.
Thank heavens through Mallory, my daughter, we passed through the backyard pony stage and found "Poncho", Mallory's large WB Pinto.
I still swore I enjoyed watching and would never ride again.
I mean, I could never, ever replace "Bumpkin".
But as I have said on the "Yippee I Got a Horse" thread I now own the 2nd Most Wonderful Horse in the World, "Elliot", 16hh bay gelding, (Starman x Oh Louise), who was clearly an Electrician in a past life.
Somedays I cannot believe I left the life of being a Housewife to go back to work so I could pay for my new horse.
I love coming on this BB several times a day and meeting new people.
Everyone is so kind, supportive and honestly helpful.

[This message has been edited by Bumpkin (edited 10-16-2000).]

Palisades
Oct. 16, 2000, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I kinda missed those "Let's Meet" threads...I saw the title and thought you meant in real life, and I'm just not brave enough to venture down to Mosby's (teasing, teasing).

My name's Joanna, and I too live in sunny Ontario. I own a 7 year old 17.2 hand gelding named Otis ("Sound Effects"). I've had him almost 3 years now, and we've been training him up through the hunters because he was so green when I got him, but his real talent is jumper. In fact (and I'm so proud, I haven't bragged to you guys at all yet!) we went to our third ever jumper show on Saturday, and we were champion! I'm very proud of my boy, even though he tends to pull like a freight train and we've been having some nasty stopping issues.

So, as you've realized, I could talk about my baby all day, but this thread wasn't called "Let's Meet each other's horses" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm 16, and in grade 12 (only one more year!). I think I've become the resident defender of teenagers, or at least it feels like that sometimes! To anyone new: watch out for those old guys, they're vicious!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kachoo
Oct. 16, 2000, 08:39 PM
I've already introduced myself, but what the hey! I'm shameless when it comes to seizing any chance to talk about myself a little /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Let's see - I'm 21 years old, studying psychology, and freezing my ass off here in beautiful Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I do the jumpers and own two horses - a 10-year-old Selle Francais gelding named Caiman Bleu and a 14-year-old TB mare named Kachoo. Unfortunately, since a major injury she sustained in the process of kicking the hell out of her stall back in 1999, Choo now resides full-time in a field and spends her days exploring the brave new world of being a pasture mare. Caiman and I do the 4' junior/amateur stuff together and will hopefully be going higher when the snow finally melts and we emerge into the outdoor stuff again next season. My family and I have two Bavarian Warmbloods currently undergoing some training in Germany with a good friend of ours, and if all goes according to plan, they should be heading over here before too long. As for miscellaneous info - I love to write, travel, take photos, and work on my website, although I haven't had time to do any of these things lately, because my school is trying to finish me off. I really love this board, and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you guys a lot better.

Cheers,
Susie
http://www.geocities.com/kachoom

EqRider
Oct. 16, 2000, 08:39 PM
I post here randomly, but I'll introduce myself anyway. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm Sarah, I'm 16, I live in Alpharetta, GA (yippee!! LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I show in hunters and equitation on my horse Southern Comfort (Capri). She's a 17hh, 7yo, TB/Hanoverian, bay mare. She's teh biggest sweetheart ever and doesn't act like a mare at all!! Right now we do Childrens and the 3' medals in Zone 4, but we're moving up to Large Juniors sometime soon, by Ocala at the latest. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also own a 4yo Welsh cross pony named Giorgio that my brother does barrel racing on. He's a huge puppy, I love him! Then there's my mom's 32yo retired Saddlebred cross dressage horse, Colombo. He's da bomb horsey, who just happens to be red, white, and blue (or red roan gone grey w/ age! LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif He's sucha sweetie, who now gives pony rides to be lil cuz. Both of them live in my backyard.

uumm, what else!! I guess I fall under the "She's-a-brat-b/c-she-has-a-cell-phone-scooter-etc.." category hehe /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But whatever! I love coming to these boards b/c the..er.."old folks" make it interesting for all of us! hehe http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

~Sarah

Flash44
Oct. 16, 2000, 08:42 PM
Name: Been called lots of things

Occupation: PI, but not for long because I hate my job, but I work from home, so I can ride whenever...

Horse: 1 A/A hunter

Married, one 3 year old son who broke his leg on Sept 20, and just learned to walk with a cane (sort of) today. I took him to the liquor store and the owner about peed their pants watching him wobble around waving his cane...

Indy
Oct. 16, 2000, 08:42 PM
I think I posted on the other let's meet threads, but writing posts is keeping from reading my History homework, so I'm gonna re-introduce myself.

I'm a former E-Search lurker, and I poke my head out often here, at Towerheads, and at BigEq (I'm Indy at the later two sites).

Anyways...I'm a college junior, from Indiana (I live in the BFE of BFE) - a History major with minors in Russian Language and Religious studies (I'm planing on becoming eclectic when I grow up.). No clue what I want to do with my life...well, really I just want to play with horsies, but the folks don't think that is a good use of my schooling....

Due to school, I don't have a horse of my own anymore. I have had 3 wonderful equines in the past though: Sonney, a great starter bay QH; Merit (Sandstone's horse now), a lovely grey TB; and Wink, a terribly cute pinto large pony. I got to spend the summer riding ponies in Florida, and had the time of my life....unfortunately, I haven't so much as seen a horse since the begining of August /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif When I ride, I ride hunters and eqs, with a rare dabbling in jumpers when I feel adventurous. Oh, if you're borred, visit my online life at http://mdphillips.tripod.com/morgan.html - there are pictures of my boys there.

Welp, that's me. Now I'm off to spend an hour talking about Northern Ireland in the 1920's...

Regalmeans
Oct. 16, 2000, 09:20 PM
I'm Sarah aka Regalmeans in honor of my beloved gelding Of Regal Means (17 hand 15 year old TB hunter), see http://www.geocities.com/sarah_regal/regal_pics.html

I'm 17 and a senior in HS, applying early decision to Drew University in North NJ. I'm a history/political science student and thanks to a good HS Im able to focus on these areas this year (no science or other annoying courses!)

I live in Southern NJ (Camden County), Regal resides in Shamong. We show locally in the 2'6-2'9 divions - Regal has arthitis and leg problems which limit how high he can jump. :-( But he's my boy and he rules. He's my first horse and the only one I actually own (although I have the luxury of being about to ride a few other horses @ my barn, on of whom Derby I refer to as 'my mare' /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) -

I got into the whole riding seriously and showing thing a little late so I'm not doing the big stuff yet - but I love riding and learning about stuff. Hunters are my first love but I also do equ and dressage and next year I wanna ride IHSA for Drew.

Thats me in a nutshell - if you want more - http://www.geocities.com/sarah_regal

Sarah

Becca
Oct. 16, 2000, 09:50 PM
Ok, ok, so we all know me. Yes, i'm not quite as infamous as Duffy, you'd all better just own up to knowing who I am, cuz well....

Anyhow, for those who aren't so fortunate to be in the know, I'm Becca, and I'm 17. I show hunter/ jumper, and own a mess of beautiful beasties /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (To see an old non-updated page of them /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://www.geocities.com/r_payson )

But lets see...I'm me..very opinionated, and not easily intimidated /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif(unless you bring a moth into the picture. Then I'm out the window).

And all your lurkers had better speak up. Everyone here is wonderful and awesome. I have made some of the most incredible friends here.

Smiles
Oct. 16, 2000, 09:53 PM
Well I'm not taking to time to see if I post on the other let's meet thread. I have to read 4 chapters for my film test http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif tomorrow so time is limited!

Anyway, I'm a college student. I don't have a clue what I'm going to major or minor in, and now I'm think school is going to be an endless wasteland for me for the next 5 or 6 years. I have 3 horses at the moment. My show horse is draft cross with the heart gold. We we're doing the A/A jumpers this year. This season we are moving up to the lows, and if the lead change situation works out maybe the A/O hunters. My second horse is a 2 y/o paint. She a project and hopefully will make a nice hunter someday. Third horse belongs to my mom, but I do all the care and riding so I guess she's mine. She a t.b and flakey at all times. Well thats about it.

Oh if anyone wants to be in the New MidWest clique please sign up here! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Smiles (edited 10-16-2000).]

Astraled
Oct. 16, 2000, 09:57 PM
I don't think I ever introduced myself, either. I'm Katherine, a 22 yo college student (English major; going to switch to something that pays better /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif). I have three horses: Little, my 27 yo QH; Twana, a 23 yo Anglo-Arab; and Sky, Twana's 3 1/2 month old Anglo-Arab colt. Twan and I are "jacks of all trades". I've shown her hunter, jumper, *gulp* western, and *bigger gulp* halter. I was a working student for some time after high school, but it's been a couple of years since I've ridden seriously. I'm really a jumper at heart and intend to focus more closely on that when my colt grows up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper
Oct. 16, 2000, 10:14 PM
Hi everyone...my name is Michelle, I'm 30, married, and I live just outside of Los Angeles. I just bought a new horse named Cypress...she is a dark bay w/no markings, 16.3 or 17 hands (I need to measure her just for curiosity sake), 10 years old, and a very sweet mare. I just sold my other horse, and he leaves at the end of this month.

I do the low A/A jumpers and the regular A/A jumpers at different places near LA (LAEC, Blenheim/Oaks, Showpark, Indio. I work as a civil engineer to pay for my habit, but I manage to escape for a day or two once every other month to go to a show. Anyway, I am hoping to have a fun and successful season with Cypress.

I have pics of me and my old horse at http://members.aol.com/dilberta99/tulie.html

Hardly there
Oct. 16, 2000, 10:41 PM
Flash sorry to here about your son.
Your post brought the image to me right away and I almost peed my pants as well lol.

ClemsonGraduateRider
Oct. 16, 2000, 10:59 PM
Duffy . . !!!!! I am so sorry that I forgot to tell everyone that we are developing quite possibly the most posh, ritzy dog park ever. There WILL be a waiting list .......

Just you wait DAHHHHLING

Jo
Oct. 16, 2000, 11:03 PM
I'm Jo, known on E-search as Jo, but I don't go there anymore. I was never invited to join the porch, nor do the porchers speak to me (for some reason). Sniffle. HuntJumpSC and I share an E-bay addiction and won the same show shirt, the blue and white checkered one.

I'm a junior at a U in Austin, TX. In between classes and working, I manage to ride almost everyday of the week... mostly on my Thoroughbred mare... Don't reall show -- lack of competitve spirit and $$$$...

That was just a quick intro... Must get caught up on the new topics. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Oct. 17, 2000, 12:28 AM
Hi! My REAL name is Sabra, Jaime is my oh-so wonderful 4yr old daughter. I own and run Keerymeade Stables in Elmira, NY. The facility has 40 stalls/indoor/55acres/lots of turnout yadayadayada...Since we just started here, I'm doing everything (stalls for 25,lessons,trying to ride mine-sales horses too) but do come in to chat when I need a break.

Too many horses to mention--Mandarin/babies/sales horses/lesson horses/broodmares/boarders etc.

Oh yeah, I have a BS (definately) in Biochem. and practiced mixology for 10 yrs - to put myself through college, and then to feed the few beasts that I had at that point.

Nylar
Oct. 17, 2000, 12:30 AM
I'm 19, I go to Wilson College in PA (sophmore), and I'm majoring in Equestrian Studies with a minor in English. They make me ride dressage here, which I would probably end up doing anyway since my trainer does it, but it's not my first choice. I do some jumping too, but it's not specific as to hunters or jumpers or equitation.

I started riding at age 9, and showing at 13. I leased an 18 y/o TB police reject named Nylar during high school, and did the local hunters and a little bit of the rated Childrens' with him. I just bought Dunn By Picasso (Dunn) in June with the help of my parents /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif He's 11 going on 5, but my trainer and I have full faith in him being a nice A/A or A/O hunter. We're going to stay at the local level for most of this season, but we're hoping to move up soon.

I also did TSEL and NCEL (junior versions of IHSA) and started as an Intermediate rider on Wilson's IHSA team, but had to quit when I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and had to cut down on the amount of activity I was using my hand for. And I ride the brat ponies at our barn, along with just about everything else that comes in!

Pictures can be found here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1269407&a=9396127

Alright, definately enough talking for one night!

RumoursFollow
Oct. 17, 2000, 12:58 AM
Hey...

I'm in college at Clemson with ClemsonRider although I do not ride on the Equestrian Team this year. I'm a political science - communications double major.. and I take waayyyy too much French. LOL

I grew up in Gainesville, GA and rode there until I went to college 2 years ago. I grew up riding random horses and showing mostly in TN and the carolinas.. riding some jumpers and stuff for a woman who was nice enough to provide me with things to ride.. and various other people chipped in. I had my own junior hunter when I was 17 and a Childrens Jumper/Eq horse my last junior year.

Now that I'm in my sophomore year of college, I dont ride as much.. I'm hoping to get out of school and get married and then pick up riding like I did as a junior. Right now its pretty hard. I'm not engaged.. but you might as well say I am /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My horse, Rumours Follow, lives in Bealeton, VA with my now trainer. My family has a house up there in Catlett, and I was living there working this summer and fell in love with zone 3 and its people so I'm hooked for life. I plan to work in DC and all when I graduate.

I show in the Adult Hunters (youngers) with Rumour, who, is the 2nd love of my life /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I bought him from the place I worked at this summer, and he's 6 and hadnt been to any rated shows when I got him. In fact his first rated show was Upperville. Which he was a saint at because he is truly the perfect amateur horse. Not that I'm biased /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I hope to move up and do the AOs in FL this coming year, but since my riding time is very limited.. I'm not sure if that will happen or not. Regardless, Rumie will do the 1st Years with a pro.

I'm absolutely addicted to the Chronicle, both here and on paper. I got hooked quite a few years ago and havent turned away since. I guess you could call me an addict, but I doubt I'm the only one http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Anyway, I have some pictures of Rumour and my other past horses.. if you'd like to see them... here's the address. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1171572&a=8623571

[This message has been edited by RumoursFollow (edited 10-17-2000).]

RodeoGirl
Oct. 17, 2000, 01:39 AM
[/B]Now that I'm in my sophomore year of college, I dont ride as much.. I'm hoping to get out of school and get married and then pick up riding like I did as a junior. Right now its pretty hard. I'm not engaged.. but you might as well say I am /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
][/B][/QUOTE]

Ahhhh weddings!!! I'm addicted! My roomate this summer got me started...we always bought wedding magazines...Martha Stewart Wedding and Southern Living Wedding were the BEST!! I've got everything for my wedding picked out...except the man!!!! Can anyone give me a little help on this one?!?

3eme
Oct. 17, 2000, 03:31 AM
I am 32 (but pass for 22!) and have been riding since I was 8. I don't know why, but every horse I've ever owned has been a chestnut.

My current beasts are:

Abricot V: chestnut, 15.3 hh, 12 yo Anglo-Arab. He's NUTS, but I love him.

Héros de Boutron : chestnut, 17.3 hh, 5 yo Selle Francais. Best horse I've ever owned.

Both are French, but Héros has an American (!) grandfather (Count Ivor)

I also have two chihuahuas, one of which I found in a dumpster (beaten and burned with cigarettes) in Vermont. I gave him a home, ten years ago, and bought him a girlfriend (who also happens to be chestnut colored. Good grief) and now he's the happiest thing on four legs.

I show in the highest amateur level in France (3rd category --- hence the BB name "3ème") and hope to move up to compete against the pro's (2ème categorie) next year. Héros was meant to be my future pro-level Grand Prix horse, but my new coach doesn't think he's right for me. Too bad, because I love him AND he's an original "point and kick" push-botton EASY ride, even at 5! Sadly, I'm going to have to sell him and find a new one /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif . Hence my posts where I bitch about trainers and horse shopping!

Since hunters are pretty pathetic over here, I do only jumpers now. As a junior in the States, I did Children's and then Junior Hunters on my (chestnut) horses. I rode other people's horse when I could. Most of them chestnuts. I loved hunters, and hated the eq's.

I graduated from Smith College (did IHSA, but didn't take it seriously) and then Wharton. I now work as a financial analyst in the real estate sector, here in the city of lights, where I've been for five years, HATING my job (this BB is a God-send!). My dream? To give it up, one day, and become a groom / rider.... oh yes, and to one day maybe own a bay (or grey?) horse ... *sigh*

Other interests? Not many (no time!). But I do love writing short stories and silly essays. And I picked up a nasty habit of knitting sweaters, at Smith.

Kryswyn
Oct. 17, 2000, 03:46 AM
Hi I'm Kryswyn, I live in VA, am sometimes considered part of the VA Clique, but, personally I don't think I qualify, since I don't even have a horse anymore!

I'm over 40 (just a bit) and did horses seriously for almost 30 years of my life. Now I'm using my horse knowledge working in VA's finest tack shop...trying to prevent people from making horrible fashion faux paux and buying equipment they don't need, ("NO NO don't buy a double twisted wire! Try teaching a voice command 'whoa' to back your horse off") while educating them on the fine points of Thermatex fabric for horse, dog and human. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I also breed, train and show JACK RUSSELL TERRIERS . We (the dogs and I) just got back from our National trial (1261 JRTs!) where we did REALLY WELL. Kryswyn Siren is the best 9-12 month old smooth bitch puppy in the country!!! Woooo Hoooo! Tawberrie's puppy, Kryswyn Blizzard was National Puppy Top Gun Champion! (4.55 seconds over a 200 foot course) Kryswyn Ivy took a 3d & 6th in Racing and Faithful Impulse was 7th of 39 in Suitability to Racoon/Badger.

(Think of it as winning a huge o/f class, getting good ribbons and a call back at the (old) National Horse Show /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

BayHorse
Oct. 17, 2000, 08:02 AM
I can't remember whether I've already done this here but will go for again just in case.

Hello, I'm Simon and I'm a Horseaholic. I live in Manchester, England and am 36 years young (37 on 18/10, ooh that's tomorrow ain't it). I work in software suppport, supporting various health applications.

I am married with a 16 year old daughter. My main interest is hunting. Over the winter I will hunt as much as my horse, Ella, is able. Over summer I show, and judge, in working hunters. My wife hunts as well although she does not have the bug as bad as me. During the summer months she shows working and ridden hunters. Our daughter is a disappointment, she doesn't like hunting!!, but will show horses til the cows come home. She competes very succesfully ridden and in-hand.

We currently only have two horses, three as of 27/10. Ella, 9yo CB x mare, Father Dougal 7yo ID x, and soon Jake 4yo Welsh x.

For more information and pictures http://www.horses.bigwig.net

VTrider
Oct. 17, 2000, 08:26 AM
Greetings to all the new comers. It is ironic that this thread is up this morning, as just last night, Duffy and I were discussing the "Invasion of Equisearch." Needless to say, it is great to have more people to chat with!!

I am a ripe 22, work in PR for a livestock marketing company that is a division of SOuthern States. Basically, I lease out bulls (stop laughing!!).

I grew up in Clarke COunty, VA - just west of "the Burg." I have shown forever. I was a Pony CLub drop out at age 7 - I hated all the rules and wasn't big on eventing anyhow. I graduated from Virginia Tech in May with a BS in COmmunications and minor in Equine Science. I did the IHSA thing, but never did too hot, as I am NOT an equitation queen.

I show in the Adults on a super nice horse (talent wise) - but he has some major attitude issues (behavior wise)!! All in all, I have had fun showing him this year. He has provided me with a bunch of championshp ribbons to hang in my office. I also show cattle on the side (again - don't laugh!!)

Again - welcome everyone - this is the best place to make friends and to fill the time between 8-5!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Clive's Mom
Oct. 17, 2000, 09:56 AM
Well - I feel like I should post something about myself since I post on the BB occasionally (it seems only fair - since now I know about you guys):

Let's see, my name is Carie (Clive is my bay TB 5 yr old gelding of rather large size - that's a joke if you know him). I'm a computer programmer geek by day, and while I've been doing the jumpers these past few years, I did hunters locally around northern VA as a junior.

Hmmm, let's see - I just moved my horse to Clifton last month after leaving my trainer of many years. Taking it easy these days and trying to figure out what I want to do with my horse going forward. Thinking about venturing back into hunters for a year before letting Clive loose in the jumpers.

I've really enjoyed the BB - especially all the helpful responses to some of my questions.

I missed the Mosby's night, but I'm looking forward to making the *next?* one (hint hint).

[This message has been edited by Clive's Mom (edited 10-17-2000).]

Canter
Oct. 17, 2000, 10:11 AM
Wow, this is really fun...almost like putting faces to names.

In the real world my name is LJ. I'm 39 and live in Toronto, Ontario somewhere near LCR Scott and heidi should they decide to 'fess up.

I have ridden all my life - got my first pony when I was 6 and had the best time with her. All of my "firsts" hacking, swimming, jumping, volteige, showing, falling into snow banks, playing cowboys - we shared all those wonderful things together.

I'm one of the hundreds of old Eglinton Equestrian Club alumni's dotting the Ontario landscape and an ex-Prince Phillip Cup Gamer for the old EEC Pony Club.

(I'll still take on all comers - I'm wicked with a spoon and an egg!)

I've had more than my share of wonderful, talented four legged friends over the years. Have won many classes and blown just as many.
I showed hunters, switched to jumpers, tried eventing realised I was out of my mind switched again to jumpers, back to hunters and finally discovered that I don't need to show anymore to validate my existence - I can use pros to show my babies. Novel concept.

Have loved every minute of my friendship with horses.

I have 2 sons, one of whom rides. They are, in my unbiased opinion, the best kids in the world. I'm truly blessed. Hubby is terrific and spends just as much time at the barn as I do, even though he's terrified of horses but puts on a brave front when doling out the apples and carrots.

OOps! Amost forgot the critters. One standard Poodle (world's most perfect dog) named Terra,
2 identical white shedding machine cats, Mr. Bigglesworth and Scarface, 4 goldfish and one gigantic Black Molly named...Molly.

I'm head zookeeper for the Equestrian Management Group discussion boards, at www.equiman.com (http://www.equiman.com) and love to come here to "play" - no responsibilites! I also work in advertising for a big agency and when I have any free time I sleep.

Nice to meet you all!

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 10-17-2000).]

JRG
Oct. 17, 2000, 10:18 AM
Although I have make my oppinion known once or twice, I too am an e-search defector.

I am a transplanted Canadian by way of Oklahoma to Pennsylvania, what a change eh? sorry coulnt' resist.

My new TB gelding has turned 5. He is a dark bay with small star/snip and ring around his coronet and stands at 16.2. I started his show career this year and hope to breeze through the hunters(for the experience) to my ultimate goal the Jumpers. But we will see how he does. My barn mates take great pride in calling him a "Hunter" and then they giggle themselves silly.

I have a husband and a lab/border collie mix, and between the two of them I don't know which one is more needy..LOL but I love them both to death.

I am a semi-retired standard bred farrier, now I do my own and some others just to keep my feet wet. Actually that is how I met my husband. Shoeing horses in OK, he was amazed at a women doing that kind of work. I asked him where he got HIS truck, out of a cracker jack box? It was love.

Now I help out in a tack shop, and ride everyday I can. I have big goals for this new horse and he shows potential.

I have enjoyed talking and getting to know people on these boards and hope to get a chance to meet some of you.

Duffy
Oct. 17, 2000, 10:32 AM
MAJOR CONGRATS, Kryswyn on your JRT's fabulous showings at Nationals!!!! I've met Siren and she is absolutely gorgeous!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Pepper thought so too!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Spunky
Oct. 17, 2000, 10:37 AM
Wow, welcome everybody! No wonder there have been soo many new threads over the weekend -- I've been going nuts trying to catch up!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I like it!!

I'm an adult amateur & ride at a hunter/jumper sales barn. I don't do many rated shows, but do some local showing occasionally & I organize the schooling shows that we have at our barn two or three times a year.

Glad to meet everyone -- and thanks for coming to our board!!

Heather
Oct. 17, 2000, 10:53 AM
Well, I've skipped a bunch of these, so I guess I should jump in. My name is Heather, I'm 27, and I live in Northern Virginia. I moved here 5 years a go from Northern California, where my heart still resides. I started out at three riding barrel horses and cutters, and when I was 10 decided I wanted to jump. I went to an English barn recommended by my western trainer, and thus discovered the wonderful sport of eventing which has been my obsession ever since. I also enjoy straight dressage, and have dabbled in periods as a DQ when an eventer of mine decided he needed a vaction from jumping.

I'm married to a fellow horseperson, and between us we have 5 of the beasties--though one is already in semi-reitrememnt and my sister-in-laws farm, and another is about to head to the retirement field, so we may actually be on the market for a new pony soon--heaven help us. In the interim we are sharing riding duties on my horse Merlin, who is a 9 year old 17.3h TB gelding we got off the meat truck for free. He has "issues" but is incredibly talented. We also are in the process of training our homebred 2-year-old TB Shawn, and will start him under saddle next year (lightly, of course!). Our two reitrees are Shawn's mother Ariel, who is enjoying her duties as a trail horse in Vermont (she became unable to concieve again after having Shawn), and a TB gelding called Jake, who has a long, sad story too lengthy to discuss here--but suffice it to say that thanks to the abuse he suffered as a race horse, at nine years old he is too mentally and physically damaged to be safely ridden--so we are going to let him live out his days as an ornamanet and hopefully give him the peace he so desperately deserves. Finally, we have a black and white paint mini with a blue eye called Munchkin, who is, IMHO, the cutest pony in the world.

I have a degree in Communications, and currently work for an environmental consulting firm--but hate both my job and my boss, so am currently "re-evaluating"--looking for a new job but also considering going back to school for my Masters. I have worked previously as a writer, and when I thought I wanted a horse career, was assistant director of a children's riding program.

DMK
Oct. 17, 2000, 10:55 AM
Oh my, I do not believe I have had the opportunity to introduce myself... First, I'm in the wilds of Alpharetta, which, at least from a horse showing perspective is a little remote, compared to South Florida, where I previously lived...

Well, let's see, I, like Flash have been called quite a few things, and since we don't want to test Erin's "delete" reflexes, I guess we won't repeat 'em here /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As for age, I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you, and that could get messy. Suffice to say, I showed in the A/A hunters up to last year, and got to be in the infamous "middle" or "more mature" adults. Sadly, I recently moved up to the A/O's where I am just plain referred to as "older" (P.S. - anyone attending the AHSA convention, PLEASE support the proposed rule to split the Older A/Os so once again, I can reclaim the "middle" ground!!!)

As for careers, I am currently dot.comming it in an online insurance company, after years of working in probably every aspect of health care insurance you can imagine (not that I think anyone has spent one nanosecond of their life thinking about health insurance careers). All this came after years of managing a surgical/post op facility for racehorses, and majoring in international relations and math. (Oh,yea, I can see you are all really following that career path!)

Now, on to the important things in life... the beasties... 5 to be exact... well not exactly - one is a 30 year old QH mare I "gave" to a family about 9 years ago - I don't think she is ever coming home again, but she is still part of the family. Then come the 2 ponies - Rebel & Princess, who live in glorious retirement at ages 20 and 26 , respectively. Rebel can give Louise's Stormy a run for his money in his ability to cause trouble, and we have agreed for the safety of mankind, those 2 shall never meet.
Finally, my 2 TBs, both off the track. One is my old man, Raven, who guided me through many years at the A/A's, and is the most mannerly, affectionate horse I've met. Last, but not least, is Robbie, my 8 yr old current show horse who I got off the track 5 years ago. We moved up to the 1st years and A/Os this year, and I have to say, he is one of the nicest horses I have ever jumped (and I would say that even if I wasn't the one who trained him /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

A pleasure t'meetch y'all! (as we say in the South)

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 17, 2000, 11:12 AM
Hello all! My name is, my name is, my name is...not Slim Shady. Excuse the indulgence, I love to wander around the house singing that, usually to the embarassment of my daughter ("mother you're old, don't sing that!"), accompanied by my three year old, who is aglow because he believe his mother is neat.

I'm on the verge of 35, developed paralyzing fear of riding but discovered that owning horses (feet are always on ground) is much safer than riding 'em. My dear husband does continue to ride as does our aforementioned embarassed daughter. The three year old has sat and walked on a GP horse - typically to his dissapointment as he envisions himself a younger and cuter Ian Millar and wants to jump swedish oxers. Also have a disinterested 8 year old son who has concluded that he can go faster on his bike. I've already outed our lab puppy as a horse poo muncher so I'll stop embarassing him in public. He is getting 'gelded' tomorrow, to add to his embarassment.

Worked for many years in the Cdn. television industry, owned an animation company, travelled too much and have been enjoying my latest incarnation as a stay-at-home mother. I do have a recurring dream, however, of one day peeing in peace.

I am very passionate about the not-quite-gelled plan of establishing a riding program/foundation for kids-at-risk and talented, but financially strapped, juniors. Those interested should check out the kids at risk thread on this board.

For the most part these days, I write, I kvetch, contemplate buying myself a large pony to ride, I harass my children into doing their homework, chase animals, cook, run back and forth to doctors' offices (with the occasional stopover in an ER room), muse that we should move to Ireland, change my mind immediately, and clamp my eyes everytime my daughter jumps ANYTHING. And oh yes, I stop by this board (and EMG's, Canter I would never defect) several times a day and smile (usually, although sometimes I crrringe) - it's wonderful that technology has enabled so many of us, worldwide, from disparate and varied backgrounds and life contexts, to communicate and share ideas, thoughts and information. Cheers to you all!

vineyridge
Oct. 17, 2000, 11:15 AM
My story, or my tale...

I'm ancient and a retired employment lawyer, who lives in the deepest darkest Delta of Mississippi, where blues seep out of every window and into every soul.

Grew up on horseback and foxhunted as a teenager. Then got on with my life, and somehow horses weren't part of it.

After I retired, I rescued a gray TB mare from a feedlot, my first horse in over thirty years.

Started riding again, and set a goal of foxhunting--even if it was just hilltopping. Got there. My mare and I bonded instantly. The week after she came from Southern California, I went out to her barn, called her name, and she came trotting over to me. She had wonderful, floating gaits, a walk that ate up miles and a huge jump. She was incredibly sweet on the ground and most of the time under saddle. But she had periods when she was really squirrelly and reared, but I just thought it was hormonal, since she had flaunting, flagrant heats.

I was wrong. I went off her a year ago, and tore my knee to shreds. I sent her off to a trainer who specialized in difficult horses for retraining and all was going really well, when she colicked. We hauled her off to the state vet school, and an Ultrasound showed that she had an abdominal abscess the size of a grapefruit. Necropsy showed that it was old and filled with pus. She showed no signs of discomfort until the day before she had to be put down. The scar tissue had started to kill off part of the small intestine and part of the liver. I miss her dreadfully.

I learned from her that I will never be without a horse in my life again. So day before yesterday, I bought a 16.2 dark bay TB foxhunter named Duncan, who has old age joints, as do I, and he will be my schoolmaster and foxhunter.

I'm vineyridge, because that is the name of the family cotton farm. On most other boards, I'm Muttpack, as I take in stray and unwanted dogs of all kinds and am fascinated by dog behavior.

Everythingbutwings
Oct. 17, 2000, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clive's Mom:
I just moved my horse to Clifton last month after leaving my trainer of many years. Taking it easy these days and trying to figure out what I want to do with my horse going forward.

I missed the Mosby's night, but I'm looking forward to making the *next?* one (hint hint).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mosby's was great!

My real name is Margie Wolson and I currently am responsible for 5 beasties, three are actually mine and two borrowed ponies. Yes, I borrow them for reasons that make no sense to those non-horsey humans.

Taffy is my 30 year old Chincoteague pony mare (got her as a foal at the roundup)

Wings is a 2 year old TB gelding and is half brother to our Maddie, the 5 month old orphan TB filly.

Thumper belongs to Haymarket vet service and is the most wonderful solid gold pony in the world. She has been a surrogate mother for our Maddie and will be going back to her "real" home in the next couple of weeks.

Pockets is an appy pony gelding borrowed from Sharon Richards to keep Wings company and for my neice to ride.

My animals are currently in Lorton, about 45 minutes by trail on the power lines to Clifton, Clive's Mom /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, or 10 minutes by auto. (the Saddlery down there is having a great sale right now on everything beginning with "L" as well as winter blankets so boogie on down there, I am hoping to convince them that "L"eather counts /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

The road our barn is on (Rt 123/Ox Rd) is being widened so I have to find a new place to call home.

I enjoy eventing, driving, judged pleasure rides and hope to soon show in breeding classes. My sisters and I maintain a web site out of incredible gratitude for our old family friend who raises Andalusian horses and taught us to ride as well as to enjoy life. I also have a site for my Little Orphan Maddie so I can share her growth and adventures. Maybe there will be show pics of her up next year if I can do this in-hand class stuff!
http://www.tamarackstables.com http://www.clutter.com/maddie

[This message has been edited by Everythingbutwings (edited 10-17-2000).]

L Scott
Oct. 17, 2000, 11:29 AM
Canter, Heidi, Palisades and I can now be known as the Southern Ontario Clique. If I missed anyone, please feel free to join.

I am 36 and live in Toronto. I have two of the most gorgeous and wonderful children I know. Funny, that! My husband is not horsey and refuses to be(allergies, attitude). I work in retail and institutional brokerage at what is now another bank owned brokerage firm.

I have been riding since I was about 7, but didn't own my own horse until I was 20. I did the Adult hunter(3'), a little DQ work and dabbled in breeding with success. I have not been consistant in my riding since having my second child, but plan on riding more in the next year.

I sold my large pony to an american last dec and she has done really well, south of the border. My family owns a wonderful jumper named Hello Newman(Weltmeyer grandson) and I just bought a dutch/tb filly(4 1/2 months old) out of Sauvage Diamont that is completely gorgeous(not biased, no, no, no).

My daughter starts taking riding lessons this sunday and I am very excited, although I think it is my asthmatic son that is going to love it more. He has that passion for animals where she is more reserved. Husband is very depressed about it all(hehe).

Good to meet you all.

How was that, Canter?

Canter
Oct. 17, 2000, 11:49 AM
LOL. If we had audio, you'd hear clapping!

To the Southern Ontario clique (and anyone else brave enough to join us at the Royal):

I expect to see all these bio's neatly pinned to your "Hello My Name Is Poo" sticker-tags at the Fox and Hound next month.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 10-17-2000).]

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 17, 2000, 11:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LCR Scott:

My daughter starts taking riding lessons this sunday and I am very excited, although I think it is my asthmatic son that is going to love it more. He has that passion for animals where she is more reserved.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think we were separated at birth? Or perhaps ours sons were. My three-year-old seems identical to yours - down to the asthma. Although he seems fine around horses, and has never had an attack at the barn, do wonder how many riders out there suffer from the same thing. I know that asthmatics shouldn't be excluded from physical exercise but I do worry.

Canter
Oct. 17, 2000, 12:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidi:
Do you think we were separated at birth? Or perhaps ours sons were. My three-year-old seems identical to yours - down to the asthma. Although he seems fine around horses, and has never had an attack at the barn, do wonder how many riders out there suffer from the same thing. I know that asthmatics shouldn't be excluded from physical exercise but I do worry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make that triplets. My 11 year old son who rides suffered dreadfully from asthma when he was young. Luckily he doesn't get too bad when he rides...he'd still ride even if he was turning blue, poor kid.

Sorry we're going off topic. Hi my name is....

B.G.M. heidi
Oct. 17, 2000, 12:04 PM
Hello, my name is poo and I'm the mother of an asthmatic...

jumper
Oct. 17, 2000, 12:32 PM
I love these threads! I don't think I've ever contributed either. I'll keep it short (because I could babble endlessly about nothing, as I tend to do). I am 24 and live in Arizona...many of you have seen a pic of my new mare, Leila (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1000458&a=7360113&p=29773481). I've been riding since I was 6 (evented 'til I was 14) and have done the A/A jumpers for a couple of years but hopefully will be moving up to the A/O and getting back into the hunter/EQ ring soon. I grew up riding in S. Cal but came to AZ to go to A.S.U. I graduated last year with a degree in broadcast journalim/poly sci/italian and am now considering going back for vet school (in other words, wandering aimlessly). After graduating, I was a reporter/anchor for an ABC station and hated it so I left and am currently "re-evaluating." In the meantime, I do corporate communications for a semiconductor company. I used to wander to E-search occasionally but always felt more comfortable over here!

Rye
Oct. 17, 2000, 12:44 PM
Well, I am currently from Minnesota. I grew up in Michigan and Indiana. I am a 29 year old professed equine addict. I moved up here about 3 years ago in pursuit of my boyfriend (now husband). We were married earlier this year and recently bought out first house. I work as a employee benefits consultant to support my horse addiction.

I bought my first horse Reilly almost two full years ago. He's an ex-racer that was purchased from the Cheskas. At the time of purchase, he had been off the track for about year and I really wish I could find out who re-trained him (they did a great job), because he has turned into a lovely honest hunter.

We started off in Long Stirrup and now have moved onto to Novice Adult. We show at A and B shows. I board at a farm that's right next to a county park that has miles of lovely bridle paths. He's a pretty decent trail horse as long as he gets to lead.

Jair
Oct. 17, 2000, 12:46 PM
I missed this too the first time round. A result of being on the West Coast and not having a computer at home - I always seem to log on half way through the interesting threads! Anyways...

Hi IÂ’m Jair.

IÂ’m 27 and live in Vancouver with my partner. I work as a geologist and have a 16.3 h grey SF gelding whom I am aiming at the High Amateur/Owner jumpers. We are currently competing at 4ft, as well as dabbling in dressage and three-day eventing.

Unfortunately I donÂ’t have a dog like some of you (although IÂ’d dearly love a German Shepherd!) but my partner has a big tabby cat that doesnÂ’t like me, which makes life interesting, and as a hobby I am currently in the process of starting an Aquarium. Which will be totally cool!

Oh – and I belong to both the VA and CA/Westcoast cliques. (and the Canadian one as well if it exists /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) Guess that makes me a man of many cliques!! LOL!

L Scott
Oct. 17, 2000, 01:00 PM
Jair, you can hold an out of town membership in the SO Clique. I'm sure the others wouldn't mind. You would be our first male member.

RumoursFollow
Oct. 17, 2000, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RodeoGirl:
Ahhhh weddings!!! I'm addicted! My roomate this summer got me started...we always bought wedding magazines...Martha Stewart Wedding and Southern Living Wedding were the BEST!! I've got everything for my wedding picked out...except the man!!!! Can anyone give me a little help on this one?!?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My roommates and I all have ours planned too. LOL. There are 2 of us that have already met our.. lesser halves /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif... and we have our dresses and everything. Lotsa fun. I gave Brent (the infamous boyfriend) a picture of the ring that I want for my engagement ring... and his only reply was "note to self: win lottery!" haha. Weddings are fun. I'm helping my brother and sister in law to be plan theirs right now! They just booked their honeymoon to Hawaii!

rescuemom
Oct. 17, 2000, 01:24 PM
I honestly can't recall if I've ever formally introduced myself here, but that may just be a middle-age brain fart. So here goes, everything (ha!) you wanted to know about rescuemom but were afraid to ask. I'm a 47 yr. old dressage rider who also likes to jump. I got back into horses at the beginning of my "mid-life crisis" at 40 by taking tons of lessons at a large local lesson barn, and then by also becoming involved with Days End Farm Horse Rescue http://www.defhr.org (hence the board name). My involvement with Days End consists of being a director, as well as volunteer work with the difficult horses, sort of an internet liaison, and whatever else needs doing.

My first horse, an OTTB, was adopted from Days End and I lost him way too young to colic. He was an awesome friend and I miss him still. My current horse is a "freebie" that Days End did not have room for because she was not in imminent danger. Ivy is a 12 yr. old Nat'l Show Horse, trained in dressage. She is sweet, smart, psycho, and came with the added surprise bonus of navicular syndrome. Prev. owner: "Oh, she's never been lame before!" http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif I have found a wonderful farrier and we are making progress. In addition to her other "attributes", Ivy is actually pretty talented at dressage.

I have a non-horsey SO of 23 years, as well as 3 cats, a rescued JRT, and another Dog of Indeterminate Breeding. As noted in another thread, I bite the heads off marshmallow peeps. I work for lawyers in Wash. DC to support my horse habit (and life in general). Oh, and I garden and knit in my *spare time*. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
~Cris

[This message has been edited by rescuemom (edited 10-17-2000).]

Everythingbutwings
Oct. 17, 2000, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:

Oh – and I belong to both the VA and CA/Westcoast cliques. (and the Canadian one as well if it exists /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) Guess that makes me a man of many cliques!! LOL!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kennett Square, Jair is spreading himself pretty thin! Here I thought that he was pining away up there in the great north.

DMK
Oct. 17, 2000, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:
Unfortunately I donÂ’t have a dog like some of you (although IÂ’d dearly love a German Shepherd!) but my partner has a big tabby cat that doesnÂ’t like me, which makes life interesting, and as a hobby I am currently in the process of starting an Aquarium. Which will be totally cool!

Oh – and I belong to both the VA and CA/Westcoast cliques. (and the Canadian one as well if it exists /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) Guess that makes me a man of many cliques!! LOL!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jair, first and foremost, youforgot the Nordies Shopping and Chocolate Consuming Clique, which might be the most important of all!

Second... please let us know if your partner's cat develops an affection for your aquarium /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VTrider
Oct. 17, 2000, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RumoursFollow:
I gave Brent (the infamous boyfriend) a picture of the ring that I want for my engagement ring<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank God - I thought I was the only won that did this. I also saw a ring at QH Congress Saturday that I liked, it was a measly (sp?) $10,400 - mere pocket change!!

Jair
Oct. 17, 2000, 02:12 PM
My dear ETBWings! I am indeed pining away up here without you and Kennett Square, Inverness et al!

DMK - you've got that right about the Aquarium. Have to find a way to convince the cat that it actually belongs to his owner, so he won't dare touch it... yeah right. I'm sure that swimming fish aside, the fact that its mine will no doubt serve to encourage more feline related "accidental deaths" to happen!

DMK
Oct. 17, 2000, 02:33 PM
I'm sure that swimming fish aside, the fact that its mine will no doubt serve to encourage more feline related "accidental deaths" to happen! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darn Tootin! Any cat worth its whiskers works under that theory! And tabby cats? They are the worst! I suggest adopting an air of insouciance about the fish. Pretend you put them there solely for the cat's pleasure, perhaps as a bribe to win affection. Offer him/her to sample fish in your presence. Tell the cat that fish are an excellent supplement to the diet. Might work... might not... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Since I myself am "owned" by a rather large, opinionated brown classic (that's a type of tabby to non cat types) Maine Coon, I feel I can speak with some authority on this matter /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Does anyone else here make a monthly mortgage payment on behalf of your cat? Because I can tell you that the corgi and I are NOT in charge of the household!

[This message has been edited by DMK (edited 10-17-2000).]

Maria
Oct. 17, 2000, 02:57 PM
HI!!!! I'm obviously Maria and I'm a horseaholic and I too hope to someday pee in peace.

I am the mother of a wonderful almost 3 year old human daughter, one husband, one dog, one cat and one horse.

I too ride the dreaded dressage, but many many many moons ago I dabbled in hunters.

You all tickle the bejeezies out of me. I enjoy visiting and reading the insightful posts and about wet my computer screen, spewing diet coke on a regular basis laughing at you guys.

msj
Oct. 17, 2000, 03:04 PM
I've posted occasionally on COTH before but since Equisearch won't let some of us back in no matter what we do, I come over here periodically.

My name is Susan and I'm from Rochester, NY. I am one of the 'oldies' on the board, that is by age (54)not use. Am single, have my own farm and work a full time job. Somehow manage to make ends meet by burning the candle at each end and in the middle.

Have 2 horses, 1 retired 13yr old QH called Chocolate but a more descriptive name for him would be Dennis the Menace. The other horse, an ottb, is named Tiger Bay. T-Bay is 8, had evented to training level with a top notch trainer who was first in the selection trials for the '96 Olympics on my boys 1/2 brother but didn't make the Olympics due to injury. Since I ride alone and live alone I need a really kind horse and T-Bay really is. Only problem I have with him is that he is allergic to upstate NY. Have spent the entire summer working with my vet on various treatments and am now giving him allergy shots that will probably go on for almost 9 months. Hope it helps.

Also have 1 dog and 2 cats. Used to compete in H/J when I was much younger and even evented Preliminary in the 60's (they didn't have novice or training in those days-you started at Prelim). Have done an occasional stint in dressage but with the farm,job, and 4-legged critters, there is just no time for competition. Am a very willing volunteer at a few of our local horse trials and some dressage competitions.

HSM
Oct. 17, 2000, 03:40 PM
Well, since this seems to be the correct place to post introductions (unlike my own redundant thread, which has unfortunately been a dud /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) I figured I'd do a little cut & paste and put my intro into this one, where maybe someone will see it:

"Ok, now that this huge crew of E-searchers has invaded COTH, it seems only appropriate, polite and friendly that we should all introduce ourselves to you, lest you might think we are pushy or something. I'll start:
I am HSM, which stand of course for HorseShowMom. (this, btw, is one of the reasons I left e-search - they took away my screen name! I am HSM, dagnabbit!) I have been hanging around here reading for quite some time, but haven't said much because I mostly come to learn. You see, I do not ride horses *shudder*. I didn't even used to like horses. But then, something strange happened..... I became a mother, with a dtr (almost 14 yrs. old now) who has been horse crazy from the git-go. It's been a growing obsession since she was old enough to talk, and when she was 7 we gave in and got her her 1st lesson. The rest is history.

For the past few years I've been tagging along, playing mom/chaueffer/groom when my dtr does the local circuit. In spite of saying "No! Never! Won't consider it!!!", we ended up buying her a horse in Feb., a sweet, moochy, still-learning grey (white to me /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) mare. The advice of my e-search pals was invaluable through this process. Now I am tail-shampooer extraordinaire and find myself looking for treats to give "our" horsie. Go figure.

When not driving to and from the barn, or to and from music lessons and rehearsals (I have a son too) I am a part-time PR/outreach person/grant writer for a small social service agency. And...a bonafide resident of "The Porch", where I was welcomed and brought along patiently until now I can (occasionally) help a new HSM along. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif"

HSM
Oct. 17, 2000, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maria:
HI!!!! I'm obviously Maria and I'm a horseaholic and I too hope to someday pee in peace.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFL!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Boy do I remember those days!!

Serenade
Oct. 17, 2000, 03:49 PM
Hi!
I have been "lurking" over at E-search for a long time now, posting occasionally, but I got sick of them deleting me, forcing me to change names, etc., so I thought I'd see what's going on over here. I'm glad I did too!
Anyway, I'm 17 and a senior in high school. I live in Michigan, in a suburb of Detroit. (Detroit has some big problems, but where I live is nice!) I was 1/2 leasing a TB gelding for a long time, and then I had a really cool horse on trial to buy, but now I'm just horse-less. (Stupid vet-check rained on my parade!!) So, lately I've just been bumming rides off of friends while I (half-heartedly) horse-hunt. What a chore!
Next year I will either attend Michigan State University or Notre Dame, if I have a horse-MSU, if I don't- ND. My parents say the school should come first, but they just don't understand my priorities. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Other fast facts about me: I have a dog and a guinea pig, I play the piano and French horn, and my least favorite question is, "what are your plans for the future?" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jair
Oct. 17, 2000, 03:53 PM
LOL! I totally know what you mean DMK! At least now anyways. I have never lived with a cat before, and used to laugh at people telling their "cat stories" not believing a word, but now I know differently (and have the scratches to proove it!) Its unreal how they really think they are in charge of the house.

Obviously, my scratches are a clear sign that I am not always in agreement with this philosophy /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RumoursFollow
Oct. 17, 2000, 03:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VTrider:
Thank God - I thought I was the only won that did this. I also saw a ring at QH Congress Saturday that I liked, it was a measly (sp?) $10,400 - mere pocket change!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! I actually wrote the check for my brothers engagement ring since I'm out of state for the jeweler... and I had NO idea someone could pay that much for a diamond! LOL. I have no idea what the setting cost itself... but the cost of the diamond alone was enough to make me and my roommates' heart skip a few beats! LOL. I'd be afraid to wear something that expensive I think! I guess thats one you leave at home when you go to the barn /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dunhorse
Oct. 17, 2000, 04:11 PM
Hi Everyone.
My name is Tracy. I just turned 21 yesterday (I feel so old!)I go to Schoolcraft Community College on their transfer program. I am undecided as to what I want to do with my life. (Leaning toward something medical such as an MD or a DMV). I currently work in a janitorial type cleaning service so that I can pay for my horses. (I bought them and support them myself). I LOVE horses and I read everything that I can find about them. I am very interested in genetics, conformation, and veterninary subjects.

I have two horses.
Czarina of April (YUCK HORRIBLE NAME) or Tia is a 1995 dun AQHA mare. I bought her as a three year old and have owned her for about two years now. She is the pleasure type, very flat kneed, and stands 15.3hh. I currently have her at a trainers.
Innuendo (Cruz) is a coming two year old paint stud colt which I bought in April from Alberta, Canada. He is a splash white overo (the rarest paint pattern in existance) and is my possible stud prospect (only if he measures up! I am very picky!) He stands 14.1 hh right now and should finish up around 15.1-15.2hh. I hope to make a reining horse out of him. Here is a picture of him for anyone who would like to see what a splash white looks like. If you look at him, let me know what you think. http://members.tripod.com/~MPutman/The_Caped_Crusader.jpg
I do not ride hunters or jumpers, I mostly ride western. I do know something about the hunter jumper world because I have helped several of my friends at hunter shows (grooming).

I really enjoy this bulletin board and visit it often. It is nice hearing from people who love horses as much as I do.

Thanks

DMK
Oct. 17, 2000, 04:25 PM
Its unreal how they really think they are in charge of the house.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You see... this is the first sign of a problem... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Notice how you casually inserted the word "think" into the sentence. If you had TRULY taken the first step to enlightenment (as the Supreme Dieties, aka Cats) call it, you would have used the word "know" instead /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, cats are pretty sure the last people who got it right were the Egyptians, since they (properly) worshipped cats.

See, this is how a well trained human responds to this situation. Ask your partner... he will tell you I am right /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CBoylen
Oct. 17, 2000, 04:31 PM
Hi, I'm Chanda. I've been coming to this board for about a year I guess, but I mostly lurk. I'm a junior at Johns Hopkins university in Baltimore, and I'm majoring in English. I keep my horses at my trainers barn in Monkton, MD, which is about 30 minutes from my school; so I can ride every day. I've been showing my entire life. I currently have a a/o hunter and an a/o jumper, although I'm hoping the hunter can find herself an actual hunter rider soon /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifI showed hunters as a younger jr, but that's been a while, and this particular horse was bought to be an open jumper prospect, but that didn't work out. I've had the jumper for five years and he's perfect /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif After I'm done with school I hope to be a professional; I love working with young horses and teaching.

Jair
Oct. 17, 2000, 04:33 PM
DMK: ROTFLOL!!! Seriously, I had to let the phone ring unanswered because I was laughing so hard.

Too true! I thoroughly envy out cat's (Morris) ability to make my partner do things for him. I only wish I had as much clout at home!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Perhaps the rift in our relationship was the result of me "helping" him make a decision about whether to go out the window or not...

DMK
Oct. 17, 2000, 04:38 PM
Oh, I'm just speculating, but it is entirely possible that may be just the very beginning of the problem, LOL...

Ain't nothin' like catching a cat in, or worse yet causing a cat to have an "ungraceful" moment /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Your fish are doomed...

RumoursFollow
Oct. 17, 2000, 04:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C.Boylen:
Hi, I'm Chanda. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YAYAYAYA! Banana is here! Banana needs to post more /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JB
Oct. 17, 2000, 04:59 PM
Jair, Jair, Jair. When are you going to learn, as DMK said, that the cat DOES own the house, you, and eveything in it??! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif It is HIS chair, HIS side of the bed (yes, the whole side), and he DOES have the right to walk under your feet and DEMAND that he not be stepped on! If you do, well, that is your own damn fault! ROTFL!! If you don't mind, I shall send you a couple of e-mail that will really tell you what cats are all about!

Ok, in the meanwhile, I for sure can't remember if I ever formally introduced myself on any past "let's meet" thread, so here I am:

35, but still get carded at the liquor store, been riding for 25 years. Got my first horse (JB, TB gelding) 11 years ago almost to the day. He's 16 now, and been a most wonderful gentleman all these years. Well, after he grew up - I used to go out and ride with the thought not of "Will he buck today?" but with the thought "When will he buck today?"

My other horse is a 2.5yo Oldenburg gelding whom I sat on for the 2nd time Sunday evening. He's by Pikor, out of a West Coast mare, and I got him as a 5 month old weanling. Sweet as cherry pie.

I do hunters, but dabble in dressage for the obvious benefits. JB and I did our first little jumper course this summer, and had a blast. But, unless I can work a miracle, or something close to it, he won't be jumping for much longer. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I also have 2 cats, a tortie and a calico, who are queens of the abode. In my spare time (ya, right) I love to garden.
http://www.equestriangardener.homestead.com

Spunky
Oct. 17, 2000, 05:18 PM
Have to find a way to convince the cat that it actually belongs to his owner, so he won't dare touch it... yeah right. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jair, you mean you haven't learned yet that the house belongs to the cat, and he just lets you live with him?? http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Ninja
Oct. 17, 2000, 05:37 PM
OHHHHHH....I am part of this "Southern Ontario Clique" too!!!! I am currently riding dressage but I have evented and shown jumpers in the past. I have my B2 level in Pony Club and do some testing and schooling show judging. I own a jumper (who is ridden by somebody else) and a stunning young dressage horse.....that's all I am saying!! Hi Stable, Clay, Heidi..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rockstar
Oct. 17, 2000, 05:55 PM
It's so terrifying to do this! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif I mean, first I disocvered BB's at Towerheads. Then I wandered a bit...happening upon y'all. Then I became a horrendous lurker... reading everything and cursing and laughing at the posts... but never having the guts to to reply. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Then came the day when I finally posted... whew! What a thrill! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif And now, gasp, I am posting on the intro thread. Baby steps... it's all about the baby steps, RIGHT? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Yeah... baby steps towards total and complete addiction! LOL.

So, I am 20 and a junior at the George Washington University in Washington, DC. I am studying politcal science and art history and am a total and complete political junkie and the self proclaimed internship queen. I am from Baltimore, but I lived in Massachusetts for many years. I am utterly horseless right now and will be for quite a while as I am devoting myself to school and work and, well, having a life! That and mom wanted out of the whole thing. It is SOOOO hard to be away from it all... but there are certainly a lot of aspects that I don't miss... and hey, it will just be that much sweeter when I do finally return as an ammy. I started showing when I was 8 and did the big eq and then the junior hunters in my last few years. I worked really hard and loved every minute... but I wasn't the most talented rider... much more interested in having fun with the horsies and the people than actually putting the work in on the saddle to win. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Oh well... I loved my horses and had a blast taking great care of them and making so many friends... and that's what counts! Since Indoors of my last junior year I have shown... well... I havn't shown at all... and I have ridden about 5 times... yikes! But it is SOOOO nice to come here and keep up and do "coffee talk".

Chanda... how do you like Hopkins? Do Hopkins kids go out a lot downtown? I have always wondered that. I used to live right next door in Guilford... but with her "empty nest" my mom just bought a condo in Roland Park. Didn't Elizabeth and Rodney get married at the church across from the lacrosse field? I think remember Mary Lisa (my trainer) telling me that when she was a bridesmaid...

Jair
Oct. 17, 2000, 06:06 PM
No, I'm still learning Spunky! A day doesn't go by that I don't learn something about the cat... especially now that my partner is away on business, I am suddenly Morris's best friend seeing as I am the Lord of the Can Opener! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I am thoroughly enjoying my power trip! LOL!

Thanks JB - looking forward to your "notes for new cat owners" !

And my dear DMK, after all your shared insights I fear my fish are indeed doomed... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

qtrhorsehunter
Oct. 17, 2000, 06:19 PM
my name is April I am 21 and live in San Luis Obispo CA I go to Cal Poly University. My horses are:
Standing Ovation or as we wont call him (docs red neck)his registered qh name. Buddy is an 18 year old appendix qh that I have had for about 10 years. I rode him in the childrens hunters/jumpers and the junior hunters when I was a junior and now we are just playing around no longer showing.
Simply irrisistable is a 22 year old qh that I found in a person backyard that was my childrens jumper and medal horse. He now lives with a Minature horse,donkey and minature donkey at my parents ranch.
I also have a 4 year old Bucksin medium pony that I just rescued from an abusive home. Hopefully by next year she will be able to do the green pony hunters.

rockstar
Oct. 17, 2000, 06:45 PM
hey! it cut off the last part of my post and now won't let me edit...

so... here's the rest!

... and to all of the wedding obsessed girls out there... OMG I am so right there with y'all. I have already picked out my Vera Wang strapless, princess-cut dress, my gorgeous antique wedding ring, and the spot where it will all take place... one of three options a)the National Cathedral here in DC b) this beautiful church that I adore on 5th avenue in NYC or c) in the garden/lawn of someone's home with a ocean vista in New England. No problem at all, right /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Now if I could only find the Groom...
http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif

CBoylen
Oct. 17, 2000, 06:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockstar:

Chanda... how do you like Hopkins? Do Hopkins kids go out a lot downtown? I have always wondered that. I used to live right next door in Guilford... but with her "empty nest" my mom just bought a condo in Roland Park. Didn't Elizabeth and Rodney get married at the church across from the lacrosse field? I think remember Mary Lisa (my trainer) telling me that when she was a bridesmaid...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...Hopkins is okay...my main thing about going here was obviously the fact that it was near my trainer, an added bonus is that classes run MTW or ThF; so I can leave on W nights for FL in the winters. I personally go out in Fells Point, and I think quite a few other Hopkins kids do, but PJ's Pub across from campus is the real deal. Rodney and Elizabeth got married in the Cathedral of the Incarnation which is down from the lacrosse field, the church directly across from the lacrosse field is a christian scientist church /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (no offence intended to anyone)

N&B&T
Oct. 18, 2000, 06:23 AM
Jair, are you planning a saltwater or freshwater aquarium??? http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

In an otherwise straightforward cat care book, I came upon the following phrase: "Cats are profoundly unmoved by the work ethic." Keep this in mind...

And, when "your" cat says, "everything here belongs to me", you may respond, "call me when you can use the can opener". They don't like this, but can't come up with a suitable reply--try to use that moment to your advantage...

Nancey (recently adopted by a new kitty)

I'm on thread one and too lazy to retype...the history is still applicable anyway...

jl
Oct. 18, 2000, 10:52 AM
I lurk, I live to lurk...I have 2 mares and I hope to make one of them my jumper. I live on 19 acres in Texas and am fairly isolated so I really enjoy the antics of the board-sometimes, I feel like an anthropologist observing a foreign culture when I read about the VA clique! I'm 45 years old and surrounded by various animals out here-I generally prefer them to most of the people I run into anyway.

rescuemom
Oct. 18, 2000, 11:03 AM
Jair, DMK, et al., I hiss at you! You are stuck on that lowly human plane! My cats and I have achieved perfect harmony and they understand that it is their house when I am away, and my house when I am there, and that only the Jack Russell can affect this chi. How was this harmony achieved you ask? Simply. My cats no longer see me as their human slave, but as the Really Big Cat who fills the cat dishes, and always knows who was on the counter despite the solid wall between us. One must become a cat to understand the Cat Way of Things. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by rescuemom (edited 10-18-2000).]

VTrider
Oct. 18, 2000, 11:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockstar:
my gorgeous antique wedding ring,
http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For great rings - go to www.scottkay.com (http://www.scottkay.com) - absolutely gorgeous!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jair
Oct. 18, 2000, 11:25 AM
Hey Nancy - its going to be a salt water aquarium so we can have some of those really cool angelfish and darts etc. Its a fairly large tank, so they'll have lots of room to swim around. (lots of room for the cat to fall in should he attempt to eat one! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) BYW - how did you get "adopted"? Did the Kitty find your door?

Thanks for the advice Rescuemom! I shall strive to achieve the state of zen that you have with your cats! I shall start saying my mantras now "OHHHMMMMMM I am the Big Cat in the house..." LOL!

[This message has been edited by Jair (edited 10-18-2000).]

JB
Oct. 18, 2000, 11:58 AM
Now Jair, how am I to send you Words of Wisdon so make you a fit Cat Ownee if I can't find your email addy? E-mail me, and I'll send you stuff. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK
Oct. 18, 2000, 12:10 PM
JB - send it to me too! (also, check out Jair's "interests" on his profile) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rescuemom, your cats are humoring you... this is another time honored technique called "Let Them Think They Are Boss Until They Install the Sheer White Drapes" It ranks right up there with the famous rendition of "I Love You (as long as you have the can opener)"

Portia
Oct. 18, 2000, 12:20 PM
There's some great stuff here!

I'm duly impressed by our contingent of college goers - Johns Hopkins, George Washington (my father got his MD there long long ago), MSU and/or Notre Dame. Scholarship and horses mix pretty well!

As for me, here's the short version. Single, lawyer in Houston (at the same firm that rescuemom works for in our DC office), I do energy litigation and international arbitration. I'm at a very traditional European dressage and jumper barn. Two horses, 13 year old chestnut Trakehner gelding Lucien, who I bought from the owner of the barn after his former owner had failed to pay his board for over a year. He's the love of my horsey life and we do the AA Jumpers, used to do some novice eventing. Portia is a 5 year old grey Oldenburg mare by Pikadero who I bought as a long yearling -- jumps just like her dad. I'll show her at the low stuff eventually, but we hope she'll do the big stuff with my trainer (fingers crossed, knock on wood, prayers to the horse gods). She hasn't lost her baby teeth yet, go figure. (The dentist says just to wait and they'll come out sometime)

Three cats, Greyling an 11 year old mean grey tabby who found me as a stray half-grown kitten. The other two are Monster and Creature, two sisters who my trainer picked out for me as 7 week old kittens at the animal shelter. She got them for me on the very sad day in July 1999 when dogs killed my beloved former barn cat, Farnsworth (I still can't talk about him without crying, so I won't.) Farns was the sweetest, most loving animal that ever lived on this earth, and he answered my prayers and bequeathed a lot of that sweetness to Monster and Creature. Monster is black and white, Creature is multi-colored with grey tabby parts and brown tabby parts and some white spots. They can go outside safely because I got a new front gate they can't get through and put up the Cat Fence-In System so they can't jump the fence.

Nancey, you've been adopted by a cat?!? Now you know what I've been dealing with for so many years. And yes, Jair, cats have never forgotten they were once worshipped as gods. If you really want to get back at Mr. Morris, however, leave a paper shopping bag open in the middle of the floor. He will be unable to resist climbing in it, then you can laugh at the silly cat. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Heather
Oct. 18, 2000, 12:29 PM
Just had to throw in my two cents about dogs and cats (I have both). I heard a fantastic quote on TV the other day about our relationship with the two beasties from an animal behavior professor at Harvard. He said:
"A dog looks at you and says, 'You give food, shelter, warmth, love, and affection . . .you must be a god!' A cat looks at you and says, 'You give me food, shelter, warmth, love and affection . . .I must be a god!"

Love that quote.

rescuemom
Oct. 18, 2000, 12:34 PM
DMK, I've had the Sheer White Drapes for many years. Because my cats recognize me as One of Their Own, they have no interest in the drapes other than as a screen between them and the JRT. Sadly, the JRT and the Sheer White Drapes is another, and uglier, story. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Portia, really??? What a small world! I met someone on a JRT site recently who also works in the HO, and my partner is in the int'l section.

rescuemom
Oct. 18, 2000, 12:38 PM
Heather, I agree, a perfectly wonderful quote. I already envision it on matching needlepointed throw pillows. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JB
Oct. 18, 2000, 12:59 PM
Ok Jair, DMK, "stuff" has been sent (thanks for pointing me in the "interests" section!). They may take a while to download, but trust me (Right Coug??) they are well worth it.

RumoursFollow
Oct. 18, 2000, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VTrider:
For great rings - go to www.scottkay.com (http://www.scottkay.com) - absolutely gorgeous!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VT Rider-- you and I are cut from the same mold! LOL. The ring I'm totally in love with is from Scott Kay!

dublin
Oct. 18, 2000, 01:04 PM
Well, I've been posting off and on since last spring, but have never formally introduced myself, so here goes....

Definitely one of the "over 40 clique", I showed equitation, hunters and occasionally junior jumpers in Oregon, Washington and California in the late 60's and early 70's.

Went to college in Southern California, moved to the San Jose area after graduating and have been here ever since. Married to a non-horsey lawyer who has become a show jumping fan....still working on getting him interested in hunters or dressage, though /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I've worked since college handling workers' compensation claims, but am currently taking some time off, and really enjoying it. I no longer show, and don't have a horse, but am satisfying my "horsie fix" through this bb, and spectating at various Northern California horse shows.

Besides horses, some of my other interests are reading, gardening, collecting old horse books, doing needlepoint, sports (I'm a major 49er, Giants and UCLA Bruin fan) and playing with our black lab Lucy.

I've met a number of wonderful people through this bb, but most specially, bumpkin. I got to meet her in person when we were on vacation in Washington in May, and am now vicariously enjoying her adventures with her wonderful new horse, "elliOTT the electrician"!! We're hoping to do a road trip to Spruce Meadows to watch the North American show in July, which should be awesome if it works out....

I've got some of my old show pictures posted on a photopoint album, if any of you would like to see them. Just try not to laugh too hard at the show clothes back then!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=196497&a=1526984

JOH
Oct. 18, 2000, 01:15 PM
Wow! Great to see so many Canucks here! I'll have to be the only Maritimes Canada member unless somebody else shows up. I used to post alot on Esearch until they changed the format and my slow computer couldn't handle it. I've missed everyone.

I live in rural Nova Scotia and somehow have accumulated 5 equines. My son's Shetland Pony mare came to us pregnant (although we didn't know it at the time we bought her) and now we have a lovely Paint/Shetland yearling filly. My daughter's Appy gelding was recently diagnosed with navicular and is now a large pasture pet (big sigh). Also (it's been a BAD summer) our Newfoundland Pony gelding has been lame for months with either arthritis or pulled muscle or ?. I bought an Appendix QH mare (bay, of course) a couple of months ago to have a horse to ride and NOW SHE'S GOT TWO STONE BRUISES!!! I can't win, can I? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Glad to meet everyone!

hobson
Oct. 18, 2000, 01:16 PM
Alrighty, then...I've been visiting the BB for a while, but only recently started posting. My name's Jen, I'm 31, and I do whatever jobs I can that give me time and $$ to ride. These days I manage an international hostel and do the occasional consulting work as a women's-health-topics trainer/writer. I also teach lessons to a couple of pony clubbers to help pay the boarding bill.

Actually, I'm primarily a dressage/CT rider with the occasional foray into jumpers. I troll around this part of the BB because, admittedly, I find the discussions about showring fashions and the like to be strangely compelling. And I say that in the most good-natured way possible!

I own Rex, a 14-yo App who will do anything-we've had success in dressage, horse trials, jumping, and he's also a local pole-bending champ. His only fault is the tendency to throw little fits of crow-hopping for joy. Hardly a day goes by when someone fails to inform me of how cute he is. I swear, at our last barn, we'd be out on a trail ride and people I've never seen before in my life would run up to us to say "Oh, it's Rex! He's SOOOOOO cute!" Rex is now teaching the ropes to a pony club kid.

Just last December my husband and I spent all our wedding-gift money, and the money we didn't spend buying useless rings, on Halo Way, who at the time was an unmanageable 2-yo TB colt whose hobby was leaping out of paddocks and rampaging around the barnyard trying to get to the broodmares. Gelding and constant turnout has morphed him into an quiet, affectionate, big puppy! His career path is not yet clear - we'll try some hunter paces next year, some horse trials, some training level dressage, and see what he likes. I'd love to try the point-to-point world with him, but it's unclear yet whether he has any interest in going fast! He amazes us all with his unnatural aplomb on the trail - noisy motorcycles, bridge construction, bulldozers, river crossings...his approach to all is to say "You want me to go past/through that? Uhhhh, okeydokey!" The Invisible Black Squirrel of Death is the only thing that ever spooks him.

Anyway, I've been enjoying all your posts, and look forward to more!

Canter
Oct. 18, 2000, 01:18 PM
Dublin - what a great photo album!

Get a load of Gaily jerking those knees over the brick wall - lovely.

Can tell Roulette was very special too.

RumoursFollow
Oct. 18, 2000, 01:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dublin:
I've got some of my old show pictures posted on a photopoint album, if any of you would like to see them. Just try not to laugh too hard at the show clothes back then!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=196497&a=1526984

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dublin, those pictures are great! Thanks for sharing /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK
Oct. 18, 2000, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JB:
Ok Jair, DMK, "stuff" has been sent (thanks for pointing me in the "interests" section!). They may take a while to download, but trust me (Right Coug??) they are well worth it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ROTFLMAO /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I almost cried I was laughing so hard about the "shampoo" part...

Cactuskate
Oct. 18, 2000, 02:46 PM
Dublin,

What a trip down memory lane. I remember you and your sister's names from my stint in the NW. Did you ride with Claudia & Jay Campf.

Isn't it depressing that Sunwood, Ridgecrest and Ridgeview are no more. I understand it is all housing developments. Don Kerron has moved to Bend/Redmond area as well as many of the H/J trainers.

I rode in the early '80's in Eugene for a short while with Vicki Zacharias. I ran into her at Indio 2 years ago. We had a good time. She has her own barn now, Rain Creek in Oregon City area.

Anyway thanks for the tour, some great shots. Wasn't Jimi Rabinsky the greatest?

dublin
Oct. 18, 2000, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys! I'm blushing.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Catcuskate - no, I first rode with Joan and Don Kerron, and then with Suzie and Dale Balenseifen.

You're right, Ridgeview and Sunwood Farms are long gone, as well as the old Portland Riding Academy, Portland Hunt Club's outside hunter course and Mountain Park Stables. PHC and Ridgeview's outside hunter courses were great fun, I remember winning a hunter team class at PHC. When we were visiting Oregon this past spring, it was very depressing to find all of them replaced by condos, houses, malls, and more houses!

The only old stable from my time in the Portland area that is still around is Lake Oswego Hunt Club. They have a website and it looks unchanged 30 years later!! It's actually been designated on the National Register of Historic Places - pretty amazing for a barn. I loved their huge polo field and always enjoyed showing there.

What ever happened to Jay and Claudia? I know their son Jeff is a trainer in Oregon, as well as Mary Von Zimmermann (I assume Max's daughter?), at Lake Oswego.

I'll e-mail you privately and we can chat more about the "good old days" in the NW....

[This message has been edited by dublin (edited 10-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dublin (edited 10-18-2000).]

Portia
Oct. 18, 2000, 04:33 PM
Yep, rescuemom, we're both at F&J. You posted your e-mail addy one time -- the "@fulbright.com" gave you away. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DMK
Oct. 18, 2000, 04:48 PM
GO TEX
Go Jaworski!
He's our man,
if he can't get Nixon
No one can!!!

(sorry, feeling a bit punchy, AND remembering my history)

OK, for all you totally lost people, that's Fulbright and Jaworski /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jair
Oct. 18, 2000, 05:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
OK, for all you totally lost people, that's Fulbright and Jaworski /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't help much DMK! Take it you're referring to American politics of some sort?

Yes - that cat thing was histerical! I was laughing pretty hard too.

Morris definitely like me this morning when I had to feed him /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif even though I had already yelled at him for trying to dig up my newly planted tulip bulbs! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/mad.gif and he went right for the ones I had planted as opposed to my partner. He must have been watching the whole time...

rescuemom
Oct. 18, 2000, 05:24 PM
Jair, F&J is just a big law firm. But the Jaworski part of the equation does have a political link. Mr. Jaworski was a prosecutor during the Nixon-era Watergate scandal.

Kelsy
Oct. 18, 2000, 06:26 PM
I am Kelsey and I'm 14 years old. I live in Keswick, VA (right outside of Charlottesville) for most of the year. I'm a freshman at St. Anne's-Belfield School in Charlottesville.

I show in High Junior Jumpers with Cover Girl and Chinatown. We're looking to import another jumper soon from Europe which I'm very happy about.

Hm, I don't know what else to say!

Well my e-mail is stardust2686@hotmail.com and my IM is IceCastle or stardust2686.

EarthTo?
Oct. 18, 2000, 07:02 PM
I am just recently on this BB, but this introducing ourselves thing seems like a good idea! My wife and I (married 26 years) are in the over-40 crowd -- hmmm, let me amend that for my own self-preservation, I may be over 40, but SHE was a child bride! We live in Fairfax VA, a suburb of Washington DC. We've been interested in horses forever, but have had long periods in our lives when we were not actively involved with them.
We both come from non-horsey families. She started at 6 in Georgia at a local pony club where she owned a mare, very informal kind of situation. I started at 7 in Colorado Springs where my Air Force officer father was stationed, when the wife of the commanding General at a nearby army base decided to offer riding lessons to the children of officers and commandeered the post's cavalry horses (yes, the Army still had them for ceremonial purposes at the time) to do so!
After my dad was transferred to Germany I continued riding at a very formal dressage facility there, gaining valuable experience in being yelled at in German for my (undoubtedly many)mistakes while unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) barely understanding the language. Upon returning to the states, I learned to jump at a riding academy in the hills behind Berkley CA.
I then gave up riding for about 15 years. I started again as an adult with my wife, mostly hacking OPH ("other people's horses") cross country in then-undeveloped northern Montgomery County MD. After several years we stopped riding again for reasons that must have made sense at the time although we can't quite remember them now.
Then five years ago, we were attending the annual bench-bar dinner dance here (I'm the lawyer in the family, my wife earns an honest living as a contracts administrator) and there was a silent auction for charity. We noticed that one of the items being auctioned was riding lessons at a place out in Fauquier County VA (unlike Fairfax, Fauquier still has unpaved land). To our surprise, we were the high bidders, so that started us riding again. We have ridden regularly since then.
Most recently we again began riding cross-country with the same people we rode with years ago in Maryland, only now their barn is in Fauquier west of Warrenton VA . Now that we have "mellowed" a bit with age we aren't as competitive as we used to be -- we just love the sheer pleasure of being out on a willing horse cantering across field and over fence in the glorious Northern Virginia countryside. All in all, life is good!

Duffy
Oct. 18, 2000, 08:03 PM
Well, you two (RumoursFollow & VTrider) should definitely meet, (say I, who have met both of you)!! Not only do you have great taste in jewelry /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, but you're both very nice young ladies. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I love the cat stuff on here!! I have two calico's: Domino and Dumpling. Domino is my mighty huntress and I inherited Dumpling from my sister after she died. Dumpling was found with her mother and the rest of her litter by a dumpster near Kings Dominion.

[This message has been edited by Duffy (edited 10-18-2000).]

Portia
Oct. 18, 2000, 09:03 PM
Earth To? -- You need to meet BobO. He lives in Boston and he and Mrs. Bob also ride together, with sort of a similar story to yours. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Then there's one of our newer gentlemen, Si, who is English and hunts with his wife -- um, that is, he hunts along with his wife. He's made it pretty clear he uses a horse for the actual hunting. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Probable Cause
Oct. 18, 2000, 09:43 PM
Do people actually read these threads when they get this long?? They must, look at me posting an introduction to myself.

Here goes: I'm a refugee from the E-search board. Too difficult to keep up with and besides, this one is much better. They people are so much nicer and more helpful. Anyhoo, I'm 30 years old (YIKES, when did THAT happen???) and I live in Waynesboro, Va. My husband of 4 years and I own a small farm. I have a 3 year old TB/Dutch WB cross that will be my "A" show hunter prospect if he ever decides to mature enough to be ridden regularly /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I also have a 6 year old quarter horse that I've been showing in local hunters. We also have 5 (yup count 'em FIVE) cats, and 2 dogs.

I love to meet people close by so feel free to e-mail me if you want to chat or go riding sometime!!

That's me in a nutshell. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rockstar
Oct. 18, 2000, 11:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C.Boylen:

Well...Hopkins is okay...my main thing about going here was obviously the fact that it was near my trainer, an added bonus is that classes run MTW or ThF; so I can leave on W nights for FL in the winters. I personally go out in Fells Point, and I think quite a few other Hopkins kids do, but PJ's Pub across from campus is the real deal. Rodney and Elizabeth got married in the Cathedral of the Incarnation which is down from the lacrosse field, the church directly across from the lacrosse field is a christian scientist church /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (no offence intended to anyone) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean Elizabeth and Rodney aren't Christian Scientists? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The Cathedral was actually the church I was referring to... the one right on the corner of University and Charles... but that's really funny about the other church. I love PJ's... to eat... but it's so sad that I lived two minutes away and never did more than, errr, eat there. Actually , I have never been out in Baltimore... people always ask me where to go and I can't tell them because we only had parties at houses in high school and I am never home now... but I do love and adore Fell's Point. Do you all cab it there and back? I am sorry... I just don't know anyone at Hopkins and, living so close, I have always wondered about what y'all do for fun in a city like balto that is so spread out and has no subway or cabs floating around everywhere.

In any case... when I am home next you will have to show me the town /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ... pretty pathetic that it's not ME who would be doing the "showing" since it is my HOME and all! I have been told by my friends who DON'T live in Baltimore that I have to go to Have A Nice Day Cafe...

In return I'll take you to a baseball game... now THAT turf I know /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif... season tix baby!

lilsly1
Oct. 18, 2000, 11:53 PM
Maybe I should change my user name to "lilshy" one! I just started coming to this board a couple of weeks ago - I am the long legged one looking for a saddle. Guess I never did introduce myself so here goes. I am married and just turned 40 this year. Live on a farm where we raise crops including alfalfa hay and am also a pork producer.
I own two quarter horses (I know I am an oddity on this site), one being also a registered Buckskin, nicknamed "Sly". Just got into serious showing this past year - concentrating on halter and showmanship. Next year hope to do more all around - Western Pleasure, Hunter Under Saddle and Horsemanship. The show horse lives full time with a trainer and my other guy is my practice horse at home. I also started taking Dressage lessons with him this summer to help improve my seat.
Even though I am not a hunter/jumper - I do enjoy this board and some of the topics are pertinent to any style of riding. The one on selling horses and trainer commission fees - now that was an eye opener! I enjoy watching the jumping classes at the quarter shows - but gotta tell ya I hold my breath while watching those classes. You all have alot of guts. I'll just stick with the rail classes, thank-you. Well, that's all about me.

creseida
Oct. 19, 2000, 12:16 AM
I've not done the "intro" thing yet (didn't know there was such a thread!).

I've lived in VA all my life, so I guess I'm a Cliquer by default. Started riding when I was 12. Have done eventing, hunters, jumpers, & dressage. Soon, (hopefully) I'll get to add foxhunting to my resume of things I've done.

I am a perpetual p/t student at GMU, majoring in Geology, minoring in Geography and Archaeology (how's THAT for a combination?). One day, if I ever graduate (LOL), I might find a job in one of my fields of study. Right now, though, life pretty much centres around the beasties.

I have one 20+ year old Han/TB mare (Cressy) whom I've owned for over 10 years. I've had lots of fun doing lots of things with her(eventing and jumpers, with hunters on rare occasion) with some nice ribbons for our efforts. We haven't competed lately (since she recovered from EPM) but I still ride her regularly, and she still doesn't act her age. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have been training and giving lessons for about 15 years. I currently have several horses for clients in training, and a few students that I teach. When I'm not on or around horses, I'm selling stuff for horses! I also work from home for a web design and technical writing company. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

I currently live on a small farm in the middle of nowhere, with the beast in the back yard, 4 cats, 5 birds and one 3-legged rescue turtle, who is exceptionally cute, especially when she begs for food. Oh, and I have a husband, too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VA
Oct. 19, 2000, 02:30 AM
I've been on and off for a while (Usually coincides with starting a job -too busy to surf, get tired of job - waay too much time)

I'm from Virginia -Kelsey, I went to STAB too, but back when the middle school was a parking lot for the seniors! I'm 26, went to UVA and have just finished a rather boring dot.com job in Hong Kong. Right now I'm killing time waiting for a flight to Nepal where I'm going to trek for 3 weeks. After that I will be in so much debt that I will probably be living with my parents again!

Anyway, I've been in love with horses forever and when time and resources permit I do everything I can to be involved with them one way or another.

I was playing polo before I moved here and definitely recommend it to anyone looking for that oft-daydreamed of boyfriend who understands your obsession with horses....and the odds are much better ladies!

Happy posting! VA

N&B&T
Oct. 19, 2000, 07:21 AM
Jair, I'm beginning to worry just a tad about your motivation for that tank! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, saltwater tanks are more difficult to maintain but lots more fun (at least IMVHO) and if it all gets too much, you can usually find someone who will provide maintenance services for you...angels were/are my favorites too, but be sure to look at shrimp, crabs and lobsters as well, they add a lot and have really interesting behaviors (if you keep them well fed, the lobsters won't grab the angels! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

The kitty just arrived on the doorstep, she was irresistable...and, three weeks later, after a night out on the town (apparently having teleported herself through a closed door, an ability developed by cats to humble their human slaves), reappeared with a tom in tow... http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif I keep telling myself, she's waaay too young! I had to explain that to the tom as well, as he showed signs of wanting to move in too!

Actually, Portia, it's only in the last year or so that I've been cat-less as my ex got custody of our three...see thread one, page one, which does need updating to include the return of my retiree (16yo TB stallion, the most laid-back TB in existence) to my care...it's wonderful to have him back, though also a little odd as it was such a wrench to part with him initially.

Anyway...

DMK
Oct. 19, 2000, 09:56 AM
Jair, hopefully rescuemom's explanation cleared up your canadian confusion /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And of course Morris was watching which tulips YOU planted...

Nancey (or anyone fascinated by cats) - since you have recently been adopted by a stray kitten, I highly recommend Paul Gallico's "The Silent Miaow, a Manual for Homeless Kittens and Strays", as Required Reading. It is a great book!

Jair - I think you should just skip straight to Eric Gurney's "How to Live with a Calculating Cat" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JB
Oct. 19, 2000, 10:54 AM
Duffy - are you calico's as possesive as mine is? I hear that is a "thing" with them, and so far, everyone I've met says that.

Jair, DMK, have no fear, more stuff is on it's way. DMK - did you get the graphics? I couldn't sent them to Jair.

Jair
Oct. 19, 2000, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the good idea Nancy - shrimp, lobsters etc. would be very interesting. Although in that case, is would be my s/o who would have his "paw" in the tank ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I must say I never thought I'd get so much info about cats on a horsey board! Thanks for the support! I will look for that book DMK. Morris probably has it in his bookshelf...

Hey Duffy - don't supposed you could post a pix of Dumpling? I love the sound of him - what a great name!

BTW - Welcome! to all the new members who are introducing themselves!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Blinky
Oct. 19, 2000, 03:22 PM
Egads-I'm behind.

I started riding when I was 10. Grew up In Chantilly VA. The typical story-sold my horses and went to college at 18. Rode a bit at age 25, then quit again because of lack of money. I was single and had just gotten my first "real" job. Now, age 30-have a well paying job (which the trade off is less time) and a very understanding non-horsey husband. So, back to riding. I'm leasing a QH and trying to get back my nerve of jumping fences. Currently-2'3" seems big! But-I love it! Can't wait to get my own horse, and I will! I've always ridden hunters and that is where I plan on staying.

Prior horses-Lips-my first horse-a TB mare, really to much for me but was sweet. I ended un donating her to Mcdonough School (sp?)in VA. Buttons- a pony colt I rescued from the meat man, unfortuntely, I outgrew him first. He has been with a great family since. Gaf-also a TB mare-sold her when I went to college to another nice family. I've been lucky having nice horses then being able to find them nice homes.

Anyway-I've enjoyed this board and learning all about you. This forum certainly helps the work day pass. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kelsy
Oct. 19, 2000, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VA:

I'm from Virginia -Kelsey, I went to STAB too, but back when the middle school was a parking lot for the seniors!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, VA, what a small world! STAB has grown tremendously, you really should come see it if ever you're in town. Both the lower and upper campus have several brand new buildings, gorgeous new atheletic fields and facilities, and so much more. On the upper campus we have had the new middle school for years now... and then we got the Student Activity Center, and this summer they built onto Randolph Hall and Lee-Duval, and it's just absoloutely gorgeous. The lower school has the most beautiful atheletic facilities and the convocation center. Have you seen it? You should come back to visit, Mr. Woodfolk who is director of Alumni has great Alumni parties, I hear.

ClemsonGraduateRider
Oct. 19, 2000, 04:10 PM
Blinky. . . . . Where in Chantilly are you from (not that its that big or anything)!! My Parents still live there and I went to Chantilly High School!!

Portia don't forget about Clemson U being represented on this board!!!

I have a calico kitty too . . .we saved her from a rescue organization and she is now incredibly FAT!! She isn't very possesive though . . . .

aubreyuga
Oct. 19, 2000, 04:23 PM
I am also new, and another escapee from ES. I am 20 and a student at UGA and a finance major. I co-own a 6 yo old QH mare, and we are trying to get her into jumping. At the barn we keep her now there is no training, but on Nov. 1 we are moving her to the barn where I take lessons, and we are going to get her under this excellent trainer and develop her potential hopefully! All of you guys seem to be really knowledgable and have a lot to offer, so I am looking forward to reading and posting here.

Blinky
Oct. 19, 2000, 05:22 PM
Clemson Rider-I went to Chantilly HIgh too! Graduated 1988-to show my age. Went to my 10 year reunion and we got to tour the school-my how it's changed! Needless to say-our group was lost. Anyway-we lived in Pleasant Valley subdivision, I guess before it turned "bad". At that time, we were in the sticks. The area has truely grown. I worked at Dominion thru high school and rode with Stephanie Peddicord, who used to teach at Greenbrier Stables. Funny, huh.

EarthTo?
Oct. 19, 2000, 05:48 PM
ClemsonRider -- Interesting to read about all the Chantilly HS grads on here. I did not go there (it didn't exist 152 years ago when I was in HS!!). But I worked for years with a wonderful woman whose daughter graduated from there in 1997 -- maybe you were there then? The daughter's name is Melissa, aka Missy, the mom's name is Pam. Too bad you ended up at Clemson, though, instead of at a REAL institution of higher learning like, oh, say, Georgia Tech (just to pick one TOTALLY at random). *smile*

JB
Oct. 19, 2000, 05:51 PM
Hey Aubreyuga - glad to see you here! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RuralRider
Oct. 19, 2000, 08:24 PM
Hi, I've been reading this BB for a few months and have really been enjoying it. This seemed like a good chance to jump in and get my feet wet. My name is Barb and I live in the wilds of N.E. Vermont. Not exactly a hotbed of equestrian activity ! I'm 46 (can I join the over 40 clique?) married (non horsey husband , he's a dairy farmer) have 3 great kids (the older 2 are off to college and haven't ridden in a long time, the youngest is 13 and eats ,sleeps and breaths horses) At least I have one horsey child, she's a good excuse to go to shows. I have a boarding stable, run a lesson program , am co-leader of a 4-H club (most of the kids in the club are my lesson kids, only a few have their own horses) My list of horses is a little long but here goes:
Abbey aka Black Points Rissie Go Bragh, my own personal horse , 8 yr old 15.2h (with shoes) TB/Conn cross. Dark bay with a little white, we've done a little hunters and alittle very low level eventing, She's at her best on an outdoor course where she can gallop at her fences. This summer she has been busy being a mom to
Aurora 4 1/2 month old 3/4 Conn filly. Very dark bay, very sweet, loves people and growing like a weed (must be the 1/4 TB) She belongs to my daughter Robin and hopefully will be her show horse someday.
Marble 13 yr old Appy mare, Robin's current horse. Very unusual coloring, base coat of white , chestnut stockings and ears, mottled chestnut areas on the rest of her body. Definatly want to make a good first impression on the judge because they are unlikely to forget her.
Corrigan,Rusty,Fawn,Cider,Widget,Charisma , school horses and ponies of varying sizes and ages (8 - 35) All great animals and very tolerant of their riders, nothing fancy but great to learn on.
I have a great time keeping up here with what's going on in the rest of the world.

Duffy
Oct. 19, 2000, 08:30 PM
Welcome, RuralRider! But of course, you may join the over 40 clique!!! The more, the merrier! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Flash44
Oct. 19, 2000, 08:41 PM
Hey all you Baltimorons...they're opening a new Hammerjacks soon...

ClemsonGraduateRider
Oct. 20, 2000, 08:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blinky:
Clemson Rider-I went to Chantilly HIgh too! Graduated 1988-to show my age. Went to my 10 year reunion and we got to tour the school-my how it's changed! Needless to say-our group was lost. Anyway-we lived in Pleasant Valley subdivision, I guess before it turned "bad". At that time, we were in the sticks. The area has truely grown. I worked at Dominion thru high school and rode with Stephanie Peddicord, who used to teach at Greenbrier Stables. Funny, huh.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazing isnt it . . . .everytime I go home it seems like there is a new subdivision, stoplight etc. I had friends that lived in Pleasant Valley all throughout HS! plus it was close to my barn which is still out in the sticks!

I started school there right after they did the rennovations so I never got to see the "old" 'tilly. I can imagine that you hardly recognized it though!!

Earthto? I was there in 1997, and a as matter of fact, most of my friends graduated in '97. If you want to email me in person so that you don't have to put up names, we can compare!! I knew a coupld of melissa's so who knows?!?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Everythingbutwings
Oct. 20, 2000, 09:48 AM
Alright all you old Chantilly grads, the rest of us in Fairfax County know there is nothing in Chantilly but DOMINION!

Remember back when it first opened and they had the old wood stove going to keep warm? Skeeter was just up the street in that little brick building on the opposite side of the road (Long after he moved out of Fairfax City)

HSM
Oct. 20, 2000, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
Hey all you Baltimorons...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you didn't mean this the way it sounds! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif LOL!

ClemsonGraduateRider
Oct. 20, 2000, 11:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
Alright all you old Chantilly grads, the rest of us in Fairfax County know there is nothing in Chantilly but DOMINION!

Remember back when it first opened and they had the old wood stove going to keep warm? Skeeter was just up the street in that little brick building on the opposite side of the road (Long after he moved out of Fairfax City)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe . . I sure wish Skeeter was close still. (although he isnt THAT far!!). And don't forget there is a Starbucks in chantilly. . .mmmmmmm. I so miss starbucks . . . There is no place like home. . .no place like home. . .

Blinky
Oct. 20, 2000, 01:57 PM
Oh my god! A Starbucks in Chantilly! Heaven. I worked at Dominion right after Allen sold it. Worked there for several years until I decided it was time for college. Now, I'm working on my MBA from Miss. State- a necessary evil to support my horse habit!

Emma1
Oct. 20, 2000, 03:08 PM
Hi all, this is my first BB, I am not a refugee from another BB. 6 years ago, after graduating from law school, I took this whole horse obsession back up. Started out leasing, moved on to my own OTT TB, extensive training, showing . . . I've tried to explain to my boyfriend that I didn't start out with a board bill bigger than my mortgage.

Anyway, my OTT TB started his second career with me as a hunter but quickly switched to jumpers after we realized that line-diagonal-line left too much room for the runaway truck mentality to kick in, the turns slow us down. We haven't shown much yet but plan on it.

Two questions from this newby -- how do you quote sections of prior text in your entry? how do you get those oh so cute smiley faces in the text?

Jair
Oct. 20, 2000, 04:08 PM
Hi Emma1 - Welcome!

To get the quote, instead of hitting the "post reply" button, click on the the small icon to the extreme right above the post of the person whom you wish to quote. Their text will then appear within your reply window.

To get the smiley icons, once you've hit "post reply", look over to the left of the "reply window" and you'll see a little blue legend called "Smilies Legend" click on it, and it will give you all the different faces and how to use them!.

Flash44
Oct. 20, 2000, 05:09 PM
HSM - yes, I did. When the big question was what to name the new football team, someone called up a radio station and suggested the Rons, as in Baltimore Rons...I thought it was pretty clever.

Morrissey
Oct. 20, 2000, 07:34 PM
After being coaxed by my daughter, VTrider, I have joined the BB!! Duffy - thanks for taking care of her in Richmond!!

I ride and train racehorses in Northern VA. I have done the hunter/jumper thing - really liked the jumpers. I have foxhunted for quite a few years as well. But my true love is in the racehorses. Specifically - steeplechasing - yes I will be at Gold Cup Saturday - my barn has a horse running in the Future Champions Cup.

I look forward to "chatting" with you in the future!!

Nylar
Oct. 20, 2000, 08:25 PM
LOL, EVERYONE here at school calls me a Baltimoron. Some people just think they're too cute for words. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

HSM
Oct. 20, 2000, 09:46 PM
Flash --- Gotta agree - that IS pretty clever! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Duffy
Oct. 21, 2000, 02:50 AM
Welcome, Morrissey! I have to say that VTrider is a very special young lady with whom I've had the priviledge to meet and start to get to know. . .I feel honored to be considered her friend.

baymare
Oct. 21, 2000, 07:56 AM
What a great thread! Since this is the first day this week I've been able to wrest the computer away from my ten-year-old twin boys, here goes.
My name is Miranda, and I am a charter member of the over 40 clique. Our farm is Baymare farm, which started as a joke because for several years the entire farm consisted of one bay mare. Then, lo and behold, the second horse was also a bay mare, and we decided it had to stick.
Baymare #1 (THE bay mare, she would have you understand) is a now 20 yr old TB/QH cross that I have had for almost 18 years. She rules. I have done hunters and eventing with her, and for the last few years my husband has done great in the A/A jumpers with her. She gets a gleam in her eye as if to say "How come YOU never let me go so fast??"
We also have a fat (is there any other kind) little Morgan mare that I call "The pony for grown-ups", and lastly a funky little pink appie mare that is our official walk-trot horse.
We also have (for our sins) four cats, ranging in age from 18 yrs. to 4 months, an aged wonderful "brown dog", and my pride and joy a 9 month old German Shepard named Luther, the favorite target of all the cats, even the kitten.
This could be a really long boring post, but the condensed version of me is: grew up in the midwest (Chicago area), lived in Vermont during my "formative years", got married and moved back to midwest, and spent the next twelve years trying to figure out how to get back to Vermont! Finally made it two years ago, and after thirty-some years of working for other people at their barns, at long last have a beautiful little hilltop farm of our own. We are in the process of building a small indoor, and I hope to have a nice little small-scale fun operation. (Nobody is giving up their day job!)
Hobbies are reading, Music (I play the cello
and sing in community chorus), and this BB.
My posts often look bizarre because I treat my keyboard like a typewriter--I never even had an electric typewriter before the kids got this computer for Christmas last year, so technology is not a strong point!
I have really enjoyed meeting all of you and think that this e-community of kindred spirits is just the greatest! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Portia
Oct. 21, 2000, 01:22 PM
Welcom Morrissey, and all the other new folks who have joined us or come out of lurkerdom! I love reading these stories. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif