PDA

View Full Version : Dear Abby, Teach Me to Be Polite

HotFireQueen
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:29 AM
HotfireQueen is up in arms! There is a certain bossy junior (CBJ) at my barn who insists on giving its opinion when it is not asked for. This CBJ thinks it can ride any horse and loudly critiques both adults and other junior riders. Needless to say CBJ is not popular with any other barn members. CBJ wants to ride HotFire's new horse because "I think I can ride it a little better than you."

Hotfire tries very hard to avoid said junior but will be showing with it a few weeks from now, and needs advice on how to handle this delicate situation. Does one approach the trainer, the child, or the child's mother? Trainer is a mild person and does not like confrontation.

CBJs mother gets very annoyed when anyone reprimands this child. Mom is always in attendance.

Thnk you.

HotFireQueen
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:29 AM
HotfireQueen is up in arms! There is a certain bossy junior (CBJ) at my barn who insists on giving its opinion when it is not asked for. This CBJ thinks it can ride any horse and loudly critiques both adults and other junior riders. Needless to say CBJ is not popular with any other barn members. CBJ wants to ride HotFire's new horse because "I think I can ride it a little better than you."

Hotfire tries very hard to avoid said junior but will be showing with it a few weeks from now, and needs advice on how to handle this delicate situation. Does one approach the trainer, the child, or the child's mother? Trainer is a mild person and does not like confrontation.

CBJs mother gets very annoyed when anyone reprimands this child. Mom is always in attendance.

Thnk you.

hitchinmygetalong
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HotFireQueen:
CBJ wants to ride HotFire's new horse because "I think I can ride it a little better than you."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this YOUR PERSONAL horse, or a barn horse to be ridden by you?

If it is your personal horse, I don't think I would have a response to the above statement because I would be stunned into silence by the audacity of the remark.

Who to approach? Well, depends on the age/maturity level of the junior. Ultimately, my gut response is to go to the trainer, though. I'm a chicken with confrontations, but the trainer is the "manager" and when a trainer takes on students, they also take on the responsibility for the student interactions. After all, it is the trainer's barn, isn't it?

Miniwelsh
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:35 AM
ship her to a certain trainer in upstate New York. Then you will only have to see her on certain occasions and hopefully someone's grandmother will run her down with a wheelbarrow at said farm. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

suzy
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:36 AM
It's simpler than that.

Here, Hotfire, borrow my frying pan for as long as needed. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

joliemom
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:41 AM
Pretend you're somebody you're not and assume their persona. Did you ever watch Sanford and Son? Remember Aunt Esther? Be her. Carry a great big Queen Mother purse, and the next time Miss Sass Bucket flaps her lips, whack her with the purse and say, "Shut up, fool!"

Maria
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:44 AM
Just say NO. Or to be polite, No Thank you.

Try to ignore her. If that doesn't work then apply the frying pan.

VTrider
"Until you have set the world on fire in the (insert division here) - shut the hell up!"

Miniwelsh
you just made my freakin week.

Robby Johnson
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joliemom:
Pretend you're somebody you're not and assume their persona. Did you ever watch Sanford and Son? Remember Aunt Esther? Be her. Carry a great big Queen Mother purse, and the next time Miss Sass Bucket flaps her lips, whack her with the purse and say, "Shut up, fool!"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love you Joliemom! Thank you for making me wet myself this morning! You are such a treasure!

my advice to the CBJ: "help" them in their schooling one day and really confuse them even more. It's mean and spiteful but, hey, all's fair in love and war!

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

FirstCry
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:56 AM
Thanks Jolliemom (while wiping coffee off screen /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )

I would tell CBJ to mind her own business, grrrr. I hate those brats that think they know all. Robby's idea is pretty good too, If you can't dazzle them with brillance then baffle them with bullsh*t /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

"Why is it that a woman will ignore homicidal tendencies in a horse, but will be furious at a man for leaving a toilet seat up?"

Lisamarie8
Jul. 26, 2002, 08:03 AM
and then politely serve her a steaming hot cup of shut the f*ck up /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just a suggestion /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-- Why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as well as prohibition did, in five years Americans would be the smartest race of people on Earth.

[This message was edited by lisamarie8 on Jul. 29, 2002 at 02:03 PM.]

Seven
Jul. 26, 2002, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HotFireQueen:
CBJ wants to ride HotFire's new horse because "I think I can ride it a little better than you."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Gee, too bad for you s/he's not YOUR horse."

"As attractive as that offer is (really! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) I've seen you ride, and well, no thanks."

"CBJ, quit your whinning and get away from me."

Or the very simple but much beloved:

"My goodness, you're obnoxious." (Said with the proper tone of dismay /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

In some cases politeness IS overrated.

I wouldn't worry about the mother, just ignore her.

Where on earth did this kid get such a sense of entitlement? It's really disgusting.

NYHR (http://www.nyhr.org)

GotSpots
Jul. 26, 2002, 08:21 AM
As a devotee of Judith Martin, may I suggest a slight alternative approach the next time the CBJ decides to make such a comment?

"Oh my goodness, no, I don't think that will be necessary."

If she persists in wanting to ride Dobbin, I would continue with "Thank you, but no. I'm enjoying dear Dobbin enormously."

Much as I believe that a good whacking might improve this child's posterior and general outlook on life, doing so at the barn makes the place less pleasant for others who might feel somewhat compelled to interrupt their riding or stall mucking to inquire if the little monster needs medical assistance or be forced to listen to further whining. This type tends to whine after a forthright fry-panning.

Hopeful Hunter
Jul. 26, 2002, 08:51 AM
I'd go for the frostily polite, yet not, response. Like these:

Ride my horse? Why would I want YOU to do that? No thanks, dearie.

Now, child, didn't anyone ever teach you that it's quite rude to imply you are superior to anyone else? Especially when that's not quite true now is it? I'll forgive you this time since you didn't know.

Oh, my, well, no, that wouldn't be good for him, now would it?

I'm terribly sorry - did you think I'd invited you to ride him? I'm not sure how I gave you that impression but, no, thanks.

Oh, no thank you. If I feel he needs someone else riding him I'll find someone I'm comfortable with.

OR...the very simple:

Pardon me? I must have mis-heard what you said, dear, I'm sure you didn't intend to be so rude.

Kryswyn
Jul. 26, 2002, 08:54 AM
Obviously child has mom wrapped around finger, so mother is useless except as transportation to take child away from barn.

You, no doubt, are not the only one wishing to smack CBJ with either a purse, frying pan, or better yet a frying pan IN a purse! So get together and plan your strategy.

ALL of you should say, "As attractive as that offer is (really!) I've seen you ride, and well, no thanks." when she wants to ride anybody else's horse.

All of you should make "My goodness, you're obnoxious." (Said with the proper tone of dismay) a part of your daily vocabulary. When she realizes that EVERYBODY has caught on and she will no longer be tolerated, THEN one person can take her aside and tell her, "ya know, we're pretty sure there's a nice kid inside you somewhere. Why don't you try letting her out some time?"

CBJ personalities can become the bad apple that ruins the barrel. You don't realize it, but everybody (all the non-confrontationals) begins harboring little resentments that end up blowing up out of all proportion, usually at people/situations having nothing to do w/the CBJ.

~Kryswyn~
"Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"

Maria
Jul. 26, 2002, 08:57 AM
You could always take the southern approach.

Well my goodness that's so sweet. Bless your heart. But no thank you.

Moesha
Jul. 26, 2002, 08:58 AM
She needs to go. I am sorry but that girl has severe issues..I am sorry her family is insane and she is a low rent nasty bargain basement sale cheap display makeup counter wearing hoochie without a cause.

HotfireQueen you need to tell her

1st of all
2nd of all
and 3rd of all!!!

Tin
Jul. 26, 2002, 08:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisamarie8:
Ask her if she's thristy
and the politely serve her a steaming hot cup of shut the f*ck up /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

add a side order of ki$$ my A$$ and you have my response /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~

suzy
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:11 AM
Of course, the ULTIMATE response delivered in a charming Southern accent would be:

"Bless your heart."

Muhahahahahahaha.

P.S. "Bless your heart" basically translates to the exact opposite using my favorite F word.

Moesha
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:13 AM
A scrub is a girl that thinks she can ride and is
Also known as a chip an miss buster
Always talkin' about what she can do
She just sits on her on her on her on her
So (no)

I don't want your advice (no)
I don't want to give you my time (no)
I don't want to watch you try to ride (no)
I don't want none of your time and (no)

Chorus:
I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a girl that can't get no ribbons at the show
Hanging out the passenger side
Of her poor horses side
Trying to holler at me
I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a girl that can't get no ribbons at the show
Hanging out the passenger side
Of her poor horses side
Trying to holler at me

But a scrub is telling me how to ride
But her own game is kinda weak
And I know that She cannot compete against me
Cuz I'm lookin' like class and she's lookin' like trash
Can't get wit' no deadbeat (deadbeat)
So (no)

I don't want to know what you would do (no)
I don't want to hear your wrong advice (no)
I don't want to meet you at the show (no)
I don't want none of your time (no)

Chorus

If you don't have a eye and you're missing
Oh yes freak I'm talking to you
You and your crazy Momma
Oh yes girl I'm talking to you
If you have a pathetic attempt at riding but you don't show love to your horse
Oh yes girl I'm talking to you
Wanna compete with me with no class
Oh no I don't want no Scrub

Heineken
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:19 AM
Moesha: THANK YOU!!!! I'm no longer crying, I'm laughing!

As for said child, it isn't the child's fault, it is the parent. You and Trainer or one or the other of you should sit down and talk to Mummy-dearest about how miserable her child's behavior is...At Patty's barn we have a "No Prima Donna" rule!

Aqha Clique

Dementia 13
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:26 AM
Moesha, you are hilarious! I just have a very funny mental image of all this after that song....

"For the dead and the living we must bear witness."

Miniwelsh
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:32 AM
Okay, that song is the best!1 I can just picture this scraggly girl leaning off the side of the poor horse!!!

Jennasis
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:35 AM
I have always been partial to these responses:

'You're joking right?"
or simply:
"Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....."

I hate obnoxious kids. I hate their parents more. HOnestly if that kid actually said that to me, my response would've been "You're joking right? That is the most obnoxiously rude, egotistical thing anyone's ever said to me...it'll be a cold day in hell before you ever touch my horse's back, JUST because you made that comment to me."

Inverness
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:45 AM
In my best Boston accent I'd tell Precious to "Go get a job."

Fortunately, the juniors I've met at my barn are good people and I wouldn't hesitate to let them ride my horse (w/their Trainer's permission, of course). /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"The man is only half himself, the other half is his expression."

-- Emerson "The Poet" (1844)

Backstage
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:45 AM
I know of one junior whose been doing a fantastic job with her young mare, who received a letter/list from another rider (junior) at the barn detailing what she had been doing wrong with her horse's training, critism about the bit she used (chosen by the trainer, btw) and how she (the letter writer) would do things differently. The author of the letter also added that she would be willing to ride the horse, as she would do a better job than the current part-boarder.

Yeah, in the name of all people everywear that put up with that stuff, i'd say use some of the ruder suggestions. Its for her own good.

~ Charter Member of the Welsh Cob clique ~

armandh
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:47 AM
if it is your horse no/
no thank you/
no chance/
noway in hell!
depending on the level of subtle needed.

owned by others
you will have to ask the owner
get on the phone quick and kill any chance of that hapening.

Flashy Gray
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:54 AM
No hard feelings toward our BB brethren who have opted for the straight ahead approach (i.e. "hot cup o'BLANK off") to this situation but there is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, as mean, biting, and contemptuous as:

"Well bless yore heaaaaaaarrrt!"

Delivered, of course, in the most sugar-drippin' Southern accent ever (think South Carolina low-country here). It is guaranteed to slay the unfortunate receipient EVERYTIME!

carribean
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:58 AM
Some wierd responses to make everyone stare at her like she's a one eyed six-armed midget and make her feel really stupid::

When you two are alone, and shes making a remark quietly, (make sure!) and others are nearby, yell loudly, "No I will not make out with you!!!!" And run away to your friends while they laugh and stare at her.

At the show, offer to "help" her with her course, and tell her the completely wrong one right before she goes into the arena to do her course.

When she walks into the tack room (again, make sure people are around), take a british accent and say, "Eww! What's that bloody ruddy smell?"

Get everyone of your friends to yell, "Wrong lead!" at her at the same time, even if she's on the right one. This would be especially funny at a show.

Spill coffee on her breeches right before she shows.

Whenever she passes you, move opposite from her across the aisle and stare at her like shes got boogers hanging out of her nose and warts on her forehead. Laugh loudly when she checks her appearence in a mirror.

Casually scratch your cheek with your middle finger raised whenever she makes you angry. Make sure she notices.

**anna**

Lisamarie8
Jul. 26, 2002, 10:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by suzy:
Of course, the ULTIMATE response delivered in a charming Southern accent would be:

"Bless your heart."

Muhahahahahahaha.

P.S. "Bless your heart" basically translates to the exact opposite using my favorite F word.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suzy, that is my FAVORITE! I come from a southern family and am well versed and trained in the way of our people /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif MY problem is after being born in Little Rock, Arkansas we moved to Madison Wisconisin. Hence the constant internal struggle between Your (http://lisamarie8.homestead.com/blessyourheart.html) reply and Mine (http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=691099205&f=1970907951&m=8003062826&r=4323092826#4323092826) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

-- Why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as well as prohibition did, in five years Americans would be the smartest race of people on Earth.

SophieGirl23
Jul. 26, 2002, 10:17 AM
We had one of these types of children at the barn I used to board at. She of course could do no wrong and as her mother said to my husband and I quote..."(insert name of child here) could do so much with that mare...Stephanie just doesn't do her justice."

Out comes the rifle.....bye,bye Mother and child /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Of course they say this about Sophie. Who in the 7 years I've owned her has only had one other rider sucessfully ride her. She's a b&$%^ of the worst kind and likes only me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BoldChance
Jul. 26, 2002, 10:38 AM
well with a mare like Sophie, then, you should just throw the kid up on her..... after finding a stopwatch that will count the microseconds before she hits the dirt /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I am so glad that I haven't encountered people like that. Where do they get that the world is theirs and theirs alone? Good grief.

BC

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
Lindsay & Chance
"Success is relative to how well you stay
on the horse."
^^^^Proud member of the DCSC!^^^^
&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

stasha
Jul. 28, 2002, 10:22 PM
Moesha and Lisa's responses kick a$$! I agree with the person who said to throw the snot up on the b!tchy mare's back...count the seconds until launch, then saunter over and say:

"Why are you sitting on the ground? I thought you said you could ride?" Mwahahahahaha!

I, personally, prefer the cold, level stare approach. When CBJ starts cocking off, I'd do my best impression of Greta Garbo...then casually ask, "Why will you not leave me alone?"

Floccia non fascio!

Heinz 57
Jul. 29, 2002, 02:00 AM

'hmm..go ride your own horse. [if said child doesnt have one;] oh wait. you dont have one.'

or the simple "buzz off"(or insert choice profanity/unmentionable vocabulary).

Oh sure.. you can ride my horse. right after you clean my stall, weed my front yard, and wash my car. Sound like a deal? didnt think so.

Oh wait.. i dont have this problem! see, all the juniors(including ME!) are very humble. The horses i ride as an apprentice for my instructor, their owners amaze me at how well they know their horses. I've known most of these horses for a few years, but they ride every day. Its amazing to see what they can do. When we HAVE had other annoying juniors, specifically one who told me 'oh well, when you are good enough and your instructor is good enough, maybe she'll teach you how to do that.' What i usually end up doing, is walking away mid-sentence. It leaves them with an odd look...

Or, you can always play the 'deaf adult' and walk off like you didnt hear her commenting on how she could ride your horse better than you. My response? go find a jack. you're going to need one to get my boot out of your a$$. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Obviously, i dont like logic and it is beyond my mental capacity to ignore people... my mind mechanically comes up with interesting things to say. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

did you ever notice that people never fall off backwards while jumping?? food for thought.

Robby Johnson
Jul. 29, 2002, 03:40 AM
should win a BB award for her response to this.

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

trae
Jul. 29, 2002, 05:51 AM
Now that song is priceless (won't be able to get it out of my head)...

I say, be patient! Revenge comes silently and ruthlessly because we all know that the louder and more frequently one shoots one's mouth off, the more one tempts the gods. And the gods administer beat downs far greater, more public and more humiliating than we mortals could ever imagine.

In the meantime, smile knowingly and mysteriously at her - she'll get hers; she just won't know when or where.

HotFireQueen
Jul. 29, 2002, 06:15 AM
You guys, these were wonderful responses - y'all made my day/weekend with these!

Oh and the latest on Certain Bossy Junior. After her triumph this weekend in the unrated division of a C rated horse show, she no doubt feels she is ready to conquer the Childrens Hunters at a certain A show. Of course, never mind the fact that she whined and jerked her poor horse around in the equitation class and then blamed it on the horse. She blames everything on the horse.

I told me trainer to keep her the hell away from me at the show this weekend. Trainer's response, "she follows me around."

Oy Veh!!

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like I am disrespectful of juniors because our barn is full of junior riders and every single one except this brat is nice, helpful and alot of fun.

Even the other kids can't stand this brat.

SaratogaSummer2001
Jul. 29, 2002, 10:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisamarie8:
and the politely serve her a steaming hot cup of shut the f*ck up /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just s suggestion /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ow. Ow ow OW. Snorting Doritos is NOT fun. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I hate CBJs - there were thousands of them at my last barn. One Nice, Polite Junior (NPJ) with whom I was friends helped that situation out for me. A particularly nasty CBJ said something like, "You know, NPJ, I just don't think Anne likes me very much.." and my sweet, NPJ said, "Oh, don't worry. She doesn't."

Ah, I love blunt juniors.

"I haven't got your degree, and I forgot your name.."

creseida
Jul. 29, 2002, 01:25 PM
...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
To which HotFire should reply...

"My you ARE a legend in your own mind, aren't you?" (batting eyelashes with a simpery sickly smile on your face)

or the ever so simple...

"You think so? I think NOT." said while looking down your nose at her.

Or simply say nothing as you burst out laughing hysterically, and every time you lay eyes on her thereafter you start snorting and giggling and laughing uncontrollably. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~<>~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~<>~

Coreene
Jul. 29, 2002, 01:52 PM
And then laugh.

suzy
Jul. 29, 2002, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Suzy, that is my FAVORITE! I come from a southern family and am well versed and trained in the way of our people /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif MY problem is after being born in Little Rock, Arkansas we moved to Madison Wisconisin. Hence the constant internal struggle between http://lisamarie8.homestead.com/blessyourheart.html reply and http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=691099205&f=1970907951&m=8003062826&r=4323092826#4323092826 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being born and raised a Yankee, I don't have any such internal struggle, so I have no problem with the very direct response instead of the PC "Bless Your Heart." But I did want to offer COTHBB readers an option. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Um, and to avoid getting thrown off the board.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sandy M
Jul. 29, 2002, 02:39 PM
ROFLOL!!!!! She was a pretty nice rider on her well-trained, sensitive, hot TB mare.

Then she got on my 16 year old, 15.3+, 1,300 lb. Intermediate level eventer who thought "dressage" was just something one's rider FORCED one to do before you got to do the fun stuff and haul A$$ cross-country.

Within 15 mins of struggling and trying to (a) get him on the bit (which I could do); (b) sit his trot (not easy if you couldnt' get him on the bit); and (c) dealing with his passive resistance, she begged to get off and apologized to me, saying "He's a lot more difficult to ride than he looks." (So at least I made him look good - but she THOUGHT she could make him look better. Nyaah-nyaa-nyaa-NYAAAAAA-Nyah!) (Did I mention he was an App? Snicker, snicker)

My horse was broke to death and I knew she COULDN'T screw him up and might get a dose of humble pie. Wouldn't work in every case, but it was very gratifying in this one.

Robby Johnson
Jul. 29, 2002, 02:51 PM
(and maybe it's because I've met joliemom), at joliemom's suggestion. I can arrange to be there to video tape and capture it when you do it.

Robby, still laughing

Miriam
Jul. 29, 2002, 03:25 PM
With my horse, if you could get on him, you could ride him. It's the getting on that's the difficult part.It is tempting to allow nosy CBJs to attempt it, but I have my fears of lawsuits from CBJs parents. Oh well.

I think truly though, the worst thing to do is to hear them out, and then just laugh. Laughing in their face really does hurt. Eventually she should get the point.

*Sometimes I think the so-called expets actually ARE experts.*

Sue from Auckland
Jul. 29, 2002, 07:15 PM
How about something along the lines of "Aren't you lucky that YOU have such a good opinion of your riding (said in a dead-pan tone of voice with the "over the top of the glasses (even if not wearing them), down the nose, mother-in-law look". Although I must admit that my instinctive (and much more likely) reaction would be a swift smack upside the ear!!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Roxy Redhead
Jul. 30, 2002, 06:59 AM
... I'd have to something like "You know, where I come from, Children should be Seen and Not Heard."

"You know, when I was a kid, I was taught to respect Adults"

"You know, when I was a kid, if I ever made a comment like that to an Adult I would get a hand across the face"

I would also mention something to the kid's mom, too - that you find this kid pretty annoying and would prefer that she left you alone.

I do, however, like the idea of screaming "wrong lead" at every opportunity ....

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pixie Dust
Jul. 30, 2002, 07:17 AM
I think busting out in a hearty bout of laughter can be very effective.....or you can say in an Australian accent:

A dingo ate your baybeee!

.....I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear.....

HotFireQueen
Jul. 30, 2002, 07:51 AM
You should hear how it talks to its mother! But then again, the mother is a complete doormat so no wonder!

I am looking forward to trying out some of these responses this weekend - particularly "Shut up, fool." whap with my big white vinyl Queen Mum purse.

If anyone is at a certain small A show south of the Mason Dixon line on Saturday be sure to stop by for the festivities.

subk
Jul. 30, 2002, 02:11 PM
I think you should just hit the PRINT button on this thread and put it on the barn bulletin board. Problem solved.

Joliemom--I want to meet you someday!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jul. 30, 2002, 03:32 PM
The Mason Dixon line is not so VERY far north of here, eh? It could be worth a tank of gas to see that purse swinging.

Maybe Joliemom and I could road trip???

Gracious, I'm guessing this kid is slow enough that you get to a chance to try several of these responses, over a period of weeks.

Or maybe the "thwack" will larn her...

CoolRunnings
Jul. 30, 2002, 03:45 PM
Moesha, I love that song! You just made my day! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

**Mary**
Don't hate me cause you ain't me!

Willem
Jul. 30, 2002, 04:45 PM
All wot you haff to do is giff der finger.

PS: I be a German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

CoolMeadows
Jul. 30, 2002, 05:15 PM
Poor Hot Fire Queen, what a PITA. What would happen if you didlet the CBJ ride your horse? She sounds like the type that certainly won't listen to a horse, so it would probably not be pretty. If you're pretty sure it wouldn't hurt your horse that's what I'd do.

I had one guy, not even a junior, always bugging me to ride one of my horses. This was a particularly big snarky run-away of a Dutch horse who was 14 and not about to change. He was lovely to walk and trot, but if you wanted to canter or jump, forget it, you'd better be able to hang on a little. So he got on and toodled around. And then he cantered, which quickly became a gallop. I'd say a good dozen times around the ring before executing a decent emergency dismount. Hobbes of course stopped and looked very pleased with himself. End of guy bugging me to ride that horse.

I also had a girl nag me constantly to ride my wonder-horse, because I "didn't MAKE him work". I must have said no about 300 times. I finally gave in. She lasted about 45 seconds. He bucked her off so hard she landed on the opposite side of the ring. And she wanted to get back on! Off she flew again, even further this time. Then she demanded that I get on because obviously there was something wrong with the saddle fit. So up I get and we canter around here there and everywhere. Drop the reins and do figure eights without them. Jump a few little jumps. Hehehe, the girl started to cry at that point. I swear that horse can read my mind. I've had novice riders on him that I like and he's wonderful. Some good riders have ridden him that I don't like personally and he's a prick. The girl left the barn shortly after, not a big loss.

Anne
Jul. 30, 2002, 05:17 PM
The horse show is below the Mason-Dixon; therefore the bless your heart response wins this time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif If it fails to shut her the he!! up, resort to the many hilarious Yankee answers. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Linny
Jul. 30, 2002, 05:17 PM
Between Joliemom and Moesha I have officially "split a gut."

Founder of the mighty Thoroughbred Clique!

Resident racing historian

Dementia 13
Jul. 31, 2002, 06:37 AM
HotFireQueen is a dingbat. Everyone knows Maryland is NORTH of the Mason Dixon line.

Hmpf - New Yorkers!

Sleepy
Jul. 31, 2002, 06:47 AM
What are they teaching in the MD schools these days? The Mason-Dixon Line is the geographic boundary between MD and PA.

Miss Perfect
Jul. 31, 2002, 06:53 AM
Sleepy is right. BUT, Maryland was nuetral in the Civil War, and has an equal number of 'Norther' and 'Southern' native ways.

So, HFP, your plan to drown her in toxic southern syrup with 'Bless your heart', and then sting her with the forked tongue of the North, is a great plan in my book! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dementia 13
Jul. 31, 2002, 07:01 AM
Oh. Duh, well I am not very good with directions and geography and such!

joliemom
Aug. 1, 2002, 10:41 AM
Mercy! Maybe we need to form a Aunt Esther Purse Posse that admonishes ill behaved riders. I for one am willing to forego my fashionable wardrobe in favor of church lady dress, hat, and big-A purse.

Only those with a strong purse arm need apply, sucka.

Therese
Aug. 1, 2002, 12:37 PM
I just found this tread, and it has made my day!

Being from Pittsburgh originally, and schooled in NY, I am of the Yankee persuasion. However, I think the Brits have the best dry sarcastic comebacks. So something with the looking over the spectacles, cold, "you have got to be kidding me" genre would be my first response. Such as: "Oh really? I don't find you that good of a rider at all." Trot off with a slight laugh.

If they didn't get the hint... Well, I've been around the guys who fix the airplanes too long, and can really let out a blue streak when required. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Please let us know how the show goes. No matter where it is in relation to the M-D line! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

--Therese
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

-Douglas Adams The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

cinnabar
Aug. 1, 2002, 01:08 PM
Hey Therese! You're from Pittsburgh way back when?! I've always been here! From what part and when did you leave? Did you do horses here?

Portia
Aug. 1, 2002, 01:11 PM
HYSterical! From Aunt Esther to Moesha. Sorry you had to experience the little twit, but this thread is a treat. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"I'm designed for sitting. That's why my butt is covered in soft fur." Dogbert

Therese
Aug. 1, 2002, 01:25 PM
Hi cinnabar!

I'm originally from Bethel Park, and rode in South Park (the real one for all you snickering! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) at Bonny Dell Acres for a number of years in the late 70's-80s.

I never owned a horse, but did catch riding and rode a number of the Barn's schoolies/sales horses. My fav was a little bay TB mare, show name Midnight Angel, registered as Peachtree Spring.

--Therese
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

-Douglas Adams The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

cinnabar
Aug. 1, 2002, 06:08 PM
Hi Therese! I'm from the opposite end of town, north of Pittsburgh. Let me know if you ever come back!

Starmite
Aug. 1, 2002, 06:14 PM
It goes to the tune of Billy Jean by Michael Jackson...(only the main verse though) and it is being sung from the horse to the CBJ.

CBJ is not my rider! WOOO!
She's just a girl who thinks she's-good as my mom!
But SHE is not my mom! WOOO!

~MP
Donut girl strikes again: 'my bro's bday is tomorrow and instead of cake we're having DONUTS!!!'

*Co Founder: Children's Jumper Clique!!! Member of the GA clique*

Bored*
Aug. 1, 2002, 06:19 PM
And there's a couple kids (who are my age, and they act sooo much younger than me) I'd like to smack upside the head once in a while, what with all their whining and such. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Proud member and co-founder of the Children's Jumper Clique.
Proud member (and founder /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) of the Draw Reins Are Not A Torture Device Clique. If you care to join, be my guest. I'd love you to.

Starmite
Aug. 1, 2002, 06:27 PM
Bored* might I know these two girls??? Could they possibly ride at my barn???

~MP
Donut girl strikes again: 'my bro's bday is tomorrow and instead of cake we're having DONUTS!!!'

Bored*
Aug. 1, 2002, 06:32 PM
yuperoo mp, these two girls do ride at your barn, and, well you'd like to give them a whack to, eh? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Proud member (and founder /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) of the Draw Reins Are Not A Torture Device Clique. If you care to join, be my guest. I'd love you to.

Starmite
Aug. 1, 2002, 06:44 PM
oh yes I sure would! Maybe you'll help me out at the next Halloween party (evil grin) Muahahahaha!!!
"girl mysteriously falls face first into pile of horse poop"

~MP

RobM
Aug. 1, 2002, 06:55 PM
Moesha, that is wonderful. Boy, I am glad I have my own property now, even though I do miss the company, I do NOT miss little darlings like that one /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Bored*
Aug. 2, 2002, 01:26 PM
this thread is hilarious! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Geroni-mo-oh-oh
Aug. 4, 2002, 03:22 PM
To engage is to acknowledge---to get angry is to make the offender believe s/he is important, and probably give her/him exactly what s/he wants. Nothing works quite so well as to pretend the remark was never made and that the offender doesn't exist! That REALLY pisses off the offender and helps avoid future contact (which is what you probably want, anyway.....)

"Everything that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
Nietzsche

buryinghill1
Aug. 4, 2002, 03:30 PM
You really, really, really should email this thread to the real Dear Abby and see what SHE has to say!

*Trinity*
Aug. 4, 2002, 06:54 PM
Pretend they're speaking with an Italian Accent. I've tried thsi and it gets funnier as it goes on. Just laugh out loud at this CBJ, it really it quite humorous. Then again this is me... I find odd things humorous... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ok for serious now... I'd confront the child. If the mother doesn't like it tell her that if she taught her child better manners you wouldn't have to confront them. I would have told the kid off long ago, although a calm approach like yours seems much better. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

*Trinity* & *Spartacus*