PDA

View Full Version : CA Clique Redux

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

SuaveReno
Mar. 22, 2001, 11:30 AM
Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Suave Reno Waits patiently for CA clique to show up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok AA Jumper LAEC Show April 8th...sounds good.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I'm in for the Oaks, Del Mar, Ride America so far...hopefully to graduate from the 2'6" to 2'9" classes /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hey youse guys find me here /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 22, 2001, 11:30 AM
Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Suave Reno Waits patiently for CA clique to show up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok AA Jumper LAEC Show April 8th...sounds good.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I'm in for the Oaks, Del Mar, Ride America so far...hopefully to graduate from the 2'6" to 2'9" classes /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hey youse guys find me here /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 22, 2001, 11:39 AM
SuaveReno, I wish some people at my barn could make a decision about what shows we are going to!!!!! My ideal schedule is Showpark Tournament of Champions Apr 26-29, Memorial Day Classic at LAEC, Blenheim/Oaks 3rd week of July, Jumping Festival at LAEC in September, and the LA Preview/National at LAEC in November. And then all the Gold Coast shows in between. But who knows? I'd love to meet up with people at the shows...hopefully something will work out!

Coreene
Mar. 22, 2001, 11:40 AM
"I'm sure that if we find some nice Manolos, you can use them instead of Dorothy's red shoes and they'll be your good luck charm into the higher divisions."

Then they both laugh and head up to Troquet for a good boozer over lunch while they decide how to become A/Os.

MO
Mar. 22, 2001, 11:47 AM
I may not be from the sunshine state, but i've been with you all for awhile, mind if I post every so often? So glad to see that you are trying to stay together. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 22, 2001, 12:54 PM
The MO(re) the Merry(er).

Chef Jade
Mar. 22, 2001, 01:57 PM
I am going to be at Gold Coast April 8th...thanks to the fact I was SUPPOSED to show this weekend at that Spring Fling horse show and now am not. I guess it was really small and the JR. Hunters didn't fill so the other horse couldn't go leaving only me.

AAJumper: I have the same problem w/ the show schedule, then when we do agree on a show, everyone flakes leaving a couple us with huge tack stall expenses, trainer's hotel fees, etc to split. It is getting REALLY annoying (and expensive.)

SuaveReno
Mar. 22, 2001, 02:04 PM
Good to hear from you both. Wow! AAJumper you are sure a lot more organized than I am when it comes to the shows. In fact my barn is a little chaotic as of late /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Correene instead of SCP how bout your barn this weekend???? What's your schedule??

I can tell we're all real busy right! LOL! This week I needed a horse fix soo bad that I went to Richard's barn to pet Robinson on the nose /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 22, 2001, 02:29 PM
SuaveReno, unfortunately, that is only my wish list of shows that I want to go to. We cannot agree on what we are going to go to in April or May, besides Gold Coast shows! See my topic, How Do You Decide What Shows To Go To.

Chef, I totally know what you mean!!! Fortunately, at least we know for sure who is going by the time we send in our entry fees, and people don't flake after that. But I agree....the costs TOTALLY increase if only 4 horses go rather than 6 or 7, for example. That means less people to split the trainer's hotel bill, tack stalls, etc. And also, with less people, there is less chance of finding someone to share a hotel room. I cannot afford to pay $300 to stay at a hotel by myself for 4 nights! Luckily, I have a friend that lives near Indio (in Palm Desert) and another that lives in Encinitas, near Del Mar. But anyway, I'll keep an eye out for you at LAEC on April 8th! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Coreene
Mar. 22, 2001, 03:29 PM
Let me know what time works for you. I emailed you the telephone numbers. I have a lesson at 4 on Sunday, but any other time on either day is okay. I have decided that, due to high drama at work the last two weeks (rude clients), I am doing nothing but Stable 101. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 22, 2001, 04:35 PM
How do how do!!!!wty is so enthusiastic about Suave's new thread. Exhausted after raking the mud off her horse, she's so glad to have an out!We'll all be here shortly. weeble is just getting back, where's rusty? Blender blender on the wall, froth them up for one and all! Coreene, leave those "boys" alone over there. We will order in, and you know what that means? Welcome Mo and chef!! Glad to see you're here! Enjoy, we will have those margaritas shortly. A/A, can't wait to watch you show...This will be so fun. Toodling off once again babbling, wty's on a mission. Will Merry and Beezer honor us? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Coreene
Mar. 22, 2001, 04:54 PM
Since she can't officially drink on the job, it would be an inconspicuous place to store gin, tonic, limes and ice. She could hide it behind the real food.

"I wonder if they would notice me sneaking in bottles of Bolly," she says to herself. "And why do I keep talking to myself?"

JustaLurker
Mar. 22, 2001, 05:28 PM
Phew. This new topic ends the withdrawal symptoms I had been suffering over lack of California news. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Inquiring minds want to know why there have been so many negative comments directed at the Funeral thread but barely a murmur made about the Ask Canter thread -- which has become a bit much IMHO. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

daytimedrama
Mar. 22, 2001, 06:10 PM
next week I'm going to the Oaks, George is clipped,(by joaquin) and looks GREAT!!! I am so excited to get out there and show.

~Christina~
"Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!" JD;Heathers

AAJumper
Mar. 22, 2001, 06:13 PM
Oooohhh...I like the Oaks. There is almost unlimited warm-up space there, at least on the grass. I am hoping to get to show there this year. Who knows though...no one from my barn seems to be able to decide what shows to go to. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Merry
Mar. 22, 2001, 07:02 PM
I must've generated some good mojo, because remember how I said finding a decent tractor guy was like the quest for the holy grail? Then I came across "Mario"? Well, so I arrange for him to level and drag my arena. Then my dad calls and tells me someone is there right then dragging the ring! I rush over to the ranch, and it's our neighbor, the racetrack farrier, who just popped over on his tractor, unannounced, to be nice! Aren't California folks cool? /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif (Well, some of them!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif . Anyhoo, so Mario shows up this morning. My mom and I decide to have him do his thang anyway, since the arena still wasn't level. So, end of story: the ring looks really nice! Whoopee!

Now, about shows: You have to remember, I'm behind you guys, because I have the 2, no make that 3, babies this year. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Hammie, aka "Hambone", show name: Fame and Fortune, is going to Showpark Saturday for his second time cantering baby green courses. It's a San Diego/Orange County show. So I'm not "up" for the Oaks yet! My dream: That he'll do the AO's eventually. He certainly is fancy enough, a pretty mover, and he has the scope and the technique. But obnoxious! I swear, it's not Hall of Fame, it's his Trakehner broodmare line, that Memphis/Flaneur line. I've ridden several of them, and they're all lovely to look at, & talented athletes, but what freakin' prima donnas!

So unlike me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 22, 2001, 07:18 PM
Merry, don't forget to have a little slope on your arena...1.5% is ideal, per specs from a well known arena designer. You can go 2%, but you may tend to get minor gullies if your arena is large. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Don't get me started about a french drain design...I could go on and on. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

YIKES...my evil engineer personality is escaping. Back, back...stay at the office where you belong, engineer girl....

AAJumper begins swatting herself, as if to exorcise the engineer demons within. "I'm not a geeky engineer, honest I'm not" she cries out shamefully.

Merry
Mar. 22, 2001, 07:30 PM
Remember, the French Drain comes when either Beezer or I inherit the ranch! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

(Perish the thought). Okay, when the next rich relative dies and leaves us $$$.

For now, we'll just not allow it to rain for the remainder of the calendar year. Period. Plain and simple. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 22, 2001, 07:39 PM
Wow! Did I need a horse fix today /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
I agree with you Coreene that when things get tough at the office I need to go to the barn and play. I knew that I needed to go when I threatened my 23 year old boytoy assistant by telling him that I was going to bit him up and spur him if I didn't get my dang report /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

He kinda of looked at me and saw that I had this determined look in my face and said he's hop on it LOL!

Coreene between 2 and 3 on Saturday works for me if that's good for you....and about those Manolo's... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If I may switch topics...trainer splits make me crazy /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I cannot believe how my trainer was allocating some of them. It's so weird that the few end up paying for the many who have some sort of side deal going on with the TRAINER (aka known as THE T for future reference ) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif One gal at our barn who just bought an incredibly expensive green jumper ended up paying about $1400.00 for one week of splits. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif So inquiring minds want to know, was THE T staying at the Ritz Carlton??? She got so perturbed that the next week she moved her horse.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

On another note, I am so glad that the clique is alive and well (I must sound like the Bud commercial "Hey Man, I really luv ya") but it's true. All of you brighten my day!! Rusty pass those margaritas LOL!

Merry so glad to hear that good Samaritans still exist. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by SuaveReno on Apr. 14, 2001 at 06:55 AM.]

AAJumper
Mar. 22, 2001, 08:18 PM
I agree...I totally need my horse fix after a bad day at work. And I've been having LOTS of those. Talk about demanding clients...email me if anyone is interested in knowing details....you may know these clients.

Merry, I agree...no more rain. Our arena doesn't have french drains either, but we need them! A cover would be nice too! Can we do some sort of sunshine dance to encourage the rain gods to stay up in Canada???

AAJumper begins spinning in circles, jangling curb chains and singing off key, in hopes of encouraging the rain gods to stay in Canada.

Oh, and SuaveReno, if you make it out to LAEC, just look around the jumper arena area for a big giant seal brown TB, no markings, with her tongue obsessively spinning her rolly bit. No wait, no need to look, just listen for lots of metal clinking. She's loud about it...really loud. "I'm jumpin'...spinthebitspinthebitspinbit
...gotta jump... spinthebitspinthebitspinthebit ...jump the jumps... spinthebitspinthebitspinthebit" Or look for the blonde trainer in her early 30's yelling at her student "don't lean.....sit away....let's do that again, there was another step there...do that again, that was one too many...STOP shoving!!!" Depending on her mood, she may be wearing a baseball hat hat says "NO WHINING". LOL...Shannon (my new barnmate who lurks here sometimes) if you are reading this, you are NOT to repeat this to our trainer!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Mar. 22, 2001, 08:32 PM
Ooooh, Suave, does this require a secret e-mail?

"Oh no, Max, not the Cone of Silence! No! Don't lower the Cone of Silence!!!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Trainer splits: I get it, you mean the way clients split the trainer's hotel & meals, etc. at away shows. LOL, I knew one dressage-riding friend who went to Del Mar for five days and got a bill for over $1,000, too, for her trainer's splits. And there were a lot of other clients that went. Turned out her split was not only paying for the trainer, but also his assistant, the barn manager, and the barn's own video crew /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif (only in California, eh?). And naturally, they stayed at the Hilton! She left, too.

I suppose The T you're referring to is UNO WHO. So, this person now sees "themself" on the same level of oh, say Hap Hansen or Mary Gatti? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Top flight, impeccable A circuit reputation, with moolah bucks clients? Gee, I would've never put The T on that level.

SuaveReno
Mar. 22, 2001, 08:36 PM
Cool AAJumper, that's better than wearing a red carnation /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif As we get closer let me know what your class schedule looks like. I'll look forward to watching you. Your pics that you posted a while back were terrific /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I keep telling myself someday..I'll get there. Tonight I jumped in the new arena. We've recently changed arenas (since we share the grounds with other trainers. We are now located in the (Merry, you should appreciate this!!) FREEWAY arena. WE canter up to the outside line (6 strides. Just as we are approaching stride 5, a big semi puts on the breaks, my guy puts on the breaks, then I put on the breaks about midway up his neck. It wasn't pretty /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif We then try the other line 7 strides we get there in 5 and I call it a day /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe tomorrow will be better /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by SuaveReno on Apr. 14, 2001 at 06:56 AM.]

SuaveReno
Mar. 22, 2001, 08:48 PM
Merry, you guessed it. Be my luck the T is lurking...opps hush my mouth /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I think I got off cheap. My splits the 1st week were $280. and $350. respectively. Although, I do think trainers need to itemize their splits like we do for expense accounts. Don't you think? I need to know what I am paying for their hotel, meals and "entertainment" LOL! I wannna see how they prorated it. Why not take it a step further and put together a T & E policy. Heck, why don't we go one step further and put together a Customer's Bill of Rights /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Where's Trusty Rusty with the Margaritas when you need her /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Speaking of which, every Friday nite is GNO (girls' nite out) at the barn rather (apres ride)
and it's Margaritas galore (Sister to Pussy..ok ok too many James Bond flicks of late /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). I guess I'm getting a little tired /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Merry
Mar. 22, 2001, 08:53 PM
You mean your trainer does not itemize the splits? Wow! Everytime we've been with various trainers, Beezer and I know up front which hotel they're staying in. Plus, the bill states the total amount of the hotel bill divided by # of clients=our amount of the split.

Sorry, but I am soooo not paying for my trainer to go to the local cinema to see "Erin Brockovich" on my dime, or hang out sipping gin and tonic at the local Bully's. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 22, 2001, 09:07 PM
Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Why is it that I can be a savy business woman during the day but become a naive 15 year old when dealing with THE T /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

rusty
Mar. 22, 2001, 09:13 PM
Rusty is here with the blenders all warmed up what flavor this time ? Original, Strawberry, or frosty Gatorade?

I take one day off to interview for a new barn and every one runs out of Margatritas. I hope the people that have the barn want me as much as you guys want me to make Margaritas. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Every one please think positive thoughts that I get this barn. Thnks alot. I will let you know if I get it.

AAJumper
Mar. 22, 2001, 09:25 PM
My trainer itemizes all the show expenses...but she tries to keep costs low. For example, one of our riders has a camper (which used to be owned by our trainer) and my trainer stays in her camper with her whenever possible. There are no food/entertainment expenses, and she doesn't have an entourage. The only "luxury" item we paid for at Indio was the golf cart, which we all used frequently.

OMG...that reminds me of a funny golf cart story. It was week 2 of Indio, and I arrived at the crack of dawn to meet up with my trainer to walk the schooling jumper course. So we jump in the golfcart, and off we go. We park near the entrance to the arena area (along the "main drag"), walk the course, and then we go to get breakfast and ice. As we come back to where we parked the golf cart, I start towards the nearest cart, and my trainer tells me that no, that isn't our cart because ours had a seat in the back.

So now we are perplexed and figure someone has mistakenly taken our golf cart and left theirs. So we decide to go watch the first few rounds of the schooling jumpers since we see Beth Underhill is warming up Altair (one of my trainer's fave horses). We watch a few rounds, and keep glancing at the "other" golf cart, which hasn't moved. We are now contemplating taking that golf cart, and letting the rental people deal with the mix-up. In the meantime, my trainer decides to call her hubby and complains to him about this golf cart dilemma. Now our bag of ice is starting to melt.

All of a sudden, a light pops on in my head. "Ummmm...don't those back seats in the cart fold down??? And, uh, could the seat have been folded down by the grooms, and we didn't notice???" My trainer and I exchange an "oh my god we are NOT that lame" look, as we rapidly walk towards the golf cart that is amazingly parked in the same spot we parked, and hasn't moved. As we approach the cart, we are in near hysterical laughter as we see the tag on the cart with my trainer's name. I hadn't laughed that hard in a long time...and haven't laughed that much again until yesterday, when my boss who I hate stepped in the owner of our company's dog's poop. But I digress. And yes, my trainer and I are both blonde.

AAJumper
Mar. 22, 2001, 09:34 PM
SuaveReno, I understand the feeling. I used to have a trainer who had the knack of totally making us feel like children, especially when it came to buying horses!!! He had us all suckered into buying horses for way more money than they were worth...and right after someone would buy a horse, he'd magically have extra cash to buy a new truck, trailer, etc. And of course the horse would always turn out to be completely lame, rank, you name it! And people would do this multiple times!!!! This guy just had the ability to convince people to totally trust him. Then he ran off with his 17 year old student. Ugh. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Rusty, make that a strawberry-banana margarita for me....
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on
Wasted away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper concentrates hard....."rusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barn...."

SuaveReno
Mar. 22, 2001, 10:24 PM
rusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barn /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 23, 2001, 04:56 AM
Ummmm, ummmmmmm,ummmmmmm. wty whispers the mantra as the rest chant for rusty. Get the barn rusty...Echoing A/A strawberry banana here... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Guess I have been lucky, my trainer has always broken everything down. No guessing, no surprises. Let's you know up front what the expenses will be. Also, if you need a break, you can feed & muck your own, get your horse ready, and still be with the barn. I on the other hand, would much prefer someone else making her pretty. Where's my spainish dictionary? She's a puerco! Much too much work.

Merry, of course Californians are waaaaay cool! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Actually your neighbor was probably reading the thread about the Koi pond and decided not to have a fish factory next door.

rusty
Mar. 23, 2001, 07:37 AM
Please keep chanting Rusty will get that barn. While shaking your curb chains. I haven't heard yet and I hate waiting.

Chef Jade
Mar. 23, 2001, 08:45 AM
After mercilessly rubbing it in that WE had an COVERED ring when all of you were creating your rice paddy's and koi farms, I come to the barn to find out that the footing in our outdoor jumping arena has washed out to the ocean. Literally. And once our bridge got swept downstream, there was no stopping it (and no way to even get to to the ring, either.) I guess we deserve it...

And now a stream has magically sprouted where the trail to our track once lay. So no trail rides either!

The gods have gotten their revenge. And now I won't brag about our nice shady covered ring during the height of the summer for fear a plague of locusts will come and carry it away!

Coreene
Mar. 23, 2001, 09:24 AM
And the word on the street on that trainer is that they rate themselves far above Mary Gatti and Hap Hansen. They are now approaching Ludger Beerbaum legends in their own mind.

How frightening.

But on to happy happy happy, SuaveReno I look forward to meeting you tomorrow! Best place to go is toodle down to the tack shop at the bottom of the hill (Steinberg's Tack & Feed) and ask Marie, who runs the show, where I am. Which will probably be around the tack shop because I need to garden tomorrow. And I have the gardens in front of Ginny Spooner's barn and Steinberg's.

Look forward to seeing you then!

"Hmmmmm," Coreene thinks, "she mentioned Manolos again. I bet there's a real kinship with SuaveReno and I that's already there without knowing about it. Shoe Girls rule." And she jingles her 18kt Curb Chain Bracelet from QVC and mumbles off after a cup of coffee.

Merry
Mar. 23, 2001, 09:35 AM
Well, chef, sounds like now you guys will be treated to the soothing, horse-friendly sounds of construction equipment!

coreene and Suave, have fun on Saturday.

I will be at Showpark with the Hambola, cantering around baby green and low A/A courses all day. My first class, right off though, is A/A eq. on the flat. That should be, well, "entertaining" as he's usually a goom-bah for the first 30 minutes at any show (think pitching and humping of back).

What makes the whole day promise to be even more memorable is that my trainer has a wedding, so she's not coming, and Beezer is working the night shift at the Times, so I guess I can't drag HER along. That means it's me and Queen of Horse Show Moms and a four-year-old warmblood! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

May the saints protect us! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Please, offer up your best vibes and jangle those curb chains for me, okay?

Coreene
Mar. 23, 2001, 10:40 AM
"Hambola-rama Hambola-rama Hambola-rama." She then jingles 18kt QVC Curb Chain Bracelet and sprinkles an offering of Show Sheen on the ground.

Merry
Mar. 23, 2001, 10:47 AM
Oh, great, coreene! I'll probably step in the Show Sheen and slip on my Tailored Sportsman-cloaked arse!

I shall log an update later on how my schooling ride went. It'll be the first ride in the former koi pond.

I am soooo not looking forward to tomorrow! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chef Jade
Mar. 23, 2001, 10:50 AM
May the Horse Show Force be with you. I am curious - does the QHSM set jumps? Can I borrow her? My QHSM's favorite horse show pastime is to dote upon her can-do-no-wrong animal as I bandage the blisters on my hands from trying to hold back said horse turned freight train. I sometimes venture to shows sans trainer and can always use an impartial grounds person. Come to think of it, while we were growing up, it was just the same but with dogs. In fact, the dogs got preferential treatment over us kids to the point we named the dogs FLK's (Funny looking kids) we should have called ourselves TLD's (Two-Legged dogs.) /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 23, 2001, 02:07 PM
Now we have three chants going? She rolls her wrist to hear the soothing sounds of the cult's 18kt curb chain bracelet. Thinking back to the QVC debacle, is always good for a laugh, and oh my, very entertaining.

So Merry, since you will be doing a lovely interuptation of the Flying Walenska's tomorrow, we will keep the chant going thru out the day for you.

Merry, Merry oh so brave, keep her seated on that lovely bay... He is bay isn't he? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Wty ceremoniously sprinkes more show sheen on the ground.

Coreene
Mar. 23, 2001, 02:40 PM
She slips off her Manolos and starts doing the Lead Change Dance while jingling not one but three 18kt QVC Curb Chain Bracelets and singing "Hambola krishna, Hambola krisha."

She then stops, horrified, and realizes she's been dipping into the Bolly far too much.

JustaLurker
Mar. 23, 2001, 04:34 PM
I hope I'm not too late to add my chant to the rest. To compensate, I'm shouting. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers, Maggi

Merry
Mar. 23, 2001, 05:15 PM
Well, actually QHSM does/can set jumps, but unfortunately she doesn't, uhm, "bend well" anymore. So it's kind of like, "Mom, today. I need that pole thrown out to the side today. He's drifting right today..." Eventually I climb off, hand the reins to her and do it myself.

But she makes a mean potato salad! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Merry can feel the chants... Hambola schooled very well on the flat today. Let's see which baby steps off the trailer in the morning.

It means the world to me, chef, that you suffer the humiliation of showing a baby greenie warmblood along with me. Is there a special medal for these acts of insanity?

Looking into crystal ball, adjusting Walmart turban on my head: I foresee rusty getting barn. Get the barn, get the barn, get the barn, get the barn...

Beezer
Mar. 23, 2001, 05:16 PM
Sometimes sticks in the corner, blowing his changes away. He kicks out a leg and pulls on the reins, then snorts, "What a bad boy am I!"

Merry
Mar. 23, 2001, 05:20 PM
But, ain't he purdy while he's doin' it? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry simply cannot be seen astride anything other than an "oooooohh, ahhhhh" horse. If I'm going to look like a doofus amateur at times, I might as well look good doing it!

Is my tiara straight?

Beezer
Mar. 23, 2001, 05:49 PM
Beezer: "You sure that's enough bit?"
Merry: "Oh yes. He ALWAYS goes in this."
Hammie's stride is getting longer....

Beezer: "I think you need more bit."
Merry: "NO. He ALWAYS goes in this."
Hammie has now bolted around the corner of the arena....

Beezer: "MERRY, you NEED more bit. You HAVE to be able to stop."
Merry: "NO! He can JUST GO in this bit."
Hammie, having realized that he is essentially loose in his little Happy Mouth snaffle, is now proceeding around the arena at Mach 3 with the skinny blonde lady on his back....

Beezer: "Any time you'd like to stop...."
Merry: "$$%%@@@@ this horse!!"
Hammie has now planted himself and Merry into the branches of the huge tree that stretches over the fence from the outside of the arena. Merry scrambles off him and marches him over to Beezer.

Merry: "Here. Hold him. I have to go get another bit." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

rusty
Mar. 23, 2001, 06:17 PM
Rusty wants to thank everyone that chanted for me. I found out earlier today that they awarded the concession for the barn to another bidder, that already has a concession with them. That is why the district awarded it to them, I wish they had told me how much emphasis they put on that, and I would not have wasted my time or energy. Oh well some thing better will come along, and I hope soon. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Beezer
Mar. 23, 2001, 07:36 PM
Oh, Rusty! I'm so sorry about your disappointment. Did they give you any tips on what you could do differently ... other than saying get a concession with them? And isn't that kind of Catch-22 just SO infuriating?? As in, you could have had the barn from us if only you had a barn from us ... sigh.

JustaLurker
Mar. 23, 2001, 09:02 PM
Oh, Rusty. I'm so sorry you were aced out by "nepotism." It seems that in everything, the horse scene included, it's not what you know but who you know.

But, everything happens for a reason and I'm assuming a better situation will come along very soon.

Cheers, Maggi

rusty
Mar. 23, 2001, 09:21 PM
Thanks for your support. My business partner and I are trying to think something better will come along. The 3 fortunes that I got tonight at the local chinese resturant are:
1.Don't always think the worst hope for the best.
2.There is true and sincere friendship between you both.
I understand these 2 but the third one has me wondering.
3.Your present plans are going to suceed.
I just wish I knew what my present plans are.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Maybe winning the lottery?

elizabeth
Mar. 23, 2001, 09:28 PM
You can do it rusty. When one door closes, another door opens.
(I joined the thread a little late, but i'm sending you vibes, rusty!)

SuaveReno
Mar. 23, 2001, 09:36 PM
Rusty so very sad to hear that the barn didn't work out but there's got to be something better around the corner. Keep your spirits up /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And Chef...hopefully construction will be swift and relatively noiseless.

Good luck Merry! How about a blender of Rusty's margaritas for The Hambola? Let us know how you do in the Hack & Snack Division. If you ever need a HSM, let me know. Hey about about a CA clique HS support team (When Therapy isn't enough or your trainer has had a meltdown, like mine did in Indio LOL!Lucky Wty with organized, sane trainer!!) WE'll come move those jumps, school those horses, make those margaritas, drink those margaritas, rattle those 18k curb chains and bring your Manolos so you have something to slip into apres HS /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Now for my bedtime Mantra: Fix Chef's Barn,Fix Chef's Barn,Fix Chef's Barn,Fix Chef's Barn, then fix Chef a margarita! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Coreene: See you tomorrow!!! Suave Reno jangles her curb chain and prepares for dreamland /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 24, 2001, 05:25 AM
Rusty, it means you will succeed. The plans of a new barn will happen!! This is only a little hiccup in the long drink of life.

Wty goes back to thinking up prose for Merry's quality ride on saturday. Knowing full well, one's tiara needs to be firmly in place, she reaches into her show bag of tricks. Hmmm lets see, bee's wax? Nah, nail glue? YES! This will do it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Now if the little show off, Hambonie mahloney, behaves, we just may have a winner! Thats one for the cult. Manolo's on! Curbs, jingling, we are off...... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

rusty
Mar. 24, 2001, 07:50 AM
Hicup
Would hambonie like a carrot or apple Margartita?
If I start making Carrot Margaitas will they be the next great horse treat? Maybe we could even say they are healthy for you.

AAJumper
Mar. 24, 2001, 08:28 AM
LOL Rusty...I'm having visions of that Juice Man guy who did all those infomercials with that Juicer. He'd pour all sorts of weird things into the juice machine and then drink it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 24, 2001, 09:39 AM
ROFL A/A you are too much! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif A Ha! That can be the next big enterprise, Carrot Margarita's for our horses. Rusty, you're a genius. Testing for that could be wery interesting. Can you see the horses all lined up for a breathalizer? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

rusty
Mar. 24, 2001, 01:07 PM
Now we have to start manufacturing equine breathalizers. If the test is postitve on the breathalizer then you have to wait around for the pee sample, otherwise you don't. Just think of the money we can make. One in every barn times a few grand fortesting and developement and we've got it made. Then we all can build our own barns.

Merry
Mar. 24, 2001, 04:45 PM
Let's summarize. It went about like this:

1. Awaken at 4:30 a.m. & wonder if I'm either A)getting too old for this, or B)insane.

2. Drive to Del Mar (San Diego area, along coast) in intermittent fog, which means QHSM is supplying both weather reports and horse-hauling instructions the entire span of the 15 Freeway.

3. Arrive at Showpark. I'm about the only haul-in, as it's a multi-day show. Hammie promptly whacks QHSM in head while disembarking from trailer, which leaves a stubborn fluorescent orange "kissy mouth" of lipstick on his neck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

4. I begin longeing in longe arena, only to have Hambola slip and fall, creaming my Pessoa saddle and embedding wet sand into his floofy sheepskin pad. When he stands up he's DFL (Dead F****ng Lame). But he walks out of it. Return to trailer to clean him up.

5. Hacks beautifully for eq. class. Proceed to Ring #2 for flat class. While standing outside gate, Hambola is amused by pony hunters under saddle in adjoining ring. Suddenly squeals and leaps into air, pitching. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Return to warm-up ring to canter around in two-point.

6. Enter Ad. Am. open eq. on flat. Hammie is intrigued by the incredibly long, flowing, silver tail of a gray that drags about four inches on the ground. I mean, he's transfixed. I decide to extricate myself to opposite half of arena. Class goes well, but during downward transition from canter to posting trot, I get a lovely transition, about six trot steps, and then Hammie decides perhaps cantering was better, and breaks into a canter for a couple of strides, naturally right in front of judge. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
We also have one pitching episode when judge coughs inside booth as we do sitting trot past her.

7. I still end up 3rd.

8. Go BACK to trailer again for change of bridle. I now know to use a wire-wrapped dee-ring, okay? I get to do a total of 3 x's and 3 oxers, and school a couple of changes on a figure 8. Enter arena. Land on correct lead after first fence, lope thru lines, pitching fit in one corner, so I circle, clueless when I ask for next lead change, but otherwise course is very nice.

9. Go back in for second round. "Wow," I'm thinking, "he was absolutely awesome over the long approach to the single oxer!" I get my lead change. Could I be on a winning go? Jump thru next line well, ignores request for change, I get 1/2 finally, continue around turn for diagonal line, and he starts bulging into my right leg. So I start this argument: "Get the heck off my right leg!" all the way down to the line. Finally, he KICKS OUT TO MY RIGHT LEG, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FENCE! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Oh, this is very baaaddd pony! I pull him up, because we are not allowed to jump in this frame of mind. Alas, QHSM is holding my crop /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif , so I have to *sigh* smack him on the right side with my open hand. Then I do a leg yield, canter around and jump out the line.

10. I stop off in the warm-up arena on way back to trailer, and get two lovely lead changes in a figure 8. My low Am Ad classes won't start for 2 hours, so we decide to call it a day.

11. On way home, I make mistake of mentioning gasoline prices, which somehow gets QHSM reflecting on gas coupons and rationing during WWII, which moves into recollections of Pearl Harbor and air raid sirens. QHSM tears up and sobs the whole way home! Who KNEW????

Sorry for rambling, but I feel oh, so much better now!

rusty, I feel your pain. Since you've been opening up fortune cookies, can you stay in the same vein and wave a magic wand and make Hammie one year older, with a season's worth of show mileage? Please!

[This message was edited by Merry on Mar. 24, 2001 at 08:07 PM.]

JustaLurker
Mar. 24, 2001, 04:46 PM
Ooo, ooo, ooo! I love the idea. I get to so few shows these days that I need a purpose in life. Being part of the official support team for any and all who need/want support would be fun, f-u-n, FUN! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers, Maggi

AAJumper
Mar. 24, 2001, 05:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your frustrations at the show, Merry. But look on the bright side (hey, I'm a Sagitarrius....always claiming the glass is half full), at least you didn't need those EMT's!

Oh, by the way, do they still have those funky white plastic panels hung along the hunter rings at Showpark? We had a pre-green hunter at our barn that absolutely HATED that ring. She saw those stupid panels moving in the breeze, stopped, stood up, and wouldn't budge!!! My poor trainer couldn't even get this horse out of the ring...she almost had to get off!

Maybe Hammie just needs some of that carrot/apple margarita mix! I hear Rusty is creating a variety of herbal concoctions as an additive to the margaritas...each is formulated for a specific dispostion. It's sort of like those "boost" powders offered at Jamba Juice. I hear she is working right now on the "anti-pitch" powder. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Mar. 24, 2001, 05:10 PM
Hey, my legs are aching so badly right now, I'm the one in need of an elixir!

No, the panels were not there. Just the white PVC fencing. But there were port-o-potties lined up along one length of the arena. Fortunately, we had that battle at Ride America last summer. Now, port-o-potties are *yawn* boring.

JustaLurker
Mar. 24, 2001, 06:48 PM
Merry, sorry to hear about your not so great day with Hammie.

I guess it's what's laughingly called "getting mileage." I promise it will be better next time though you won't have the funny little incidents to tell us about.

Cheers, Maggi

SuaveReno
Mar. 24, 2001, 06:52 PM
Wow Merry i feel for you /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif First the show day's little inconveniences (like a lead change /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) to a teary QHSM. Look on the bright side another special moment of quality time with QHSM. So where's Rusty with those Margaritas (carrot ones for the health conscious /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Loved your accounting of your day and I feel your pain (Horse Show Support Group Talk /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Seriously lead changes have always been my nemisis..Hello, my name is SuaveReno and I have a tough time with lead changes...In fact I had a wonderful round at one show..except for those lead changes /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Lead changes, LEAD CHANGES, we don't need no stinkin lead changes... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm getting silly on Rusty's carrot margaritas WTG girl!

rusty
Mar. 24, 2001, 09:30 PM
I have shaken the magic wand and Hammie is now a year wiser, you don't necessarily want to make him a year older, just wiser. You know how age concious some potntial buyers can be.

Another round of Carrot Margaritas coming up. Topped with wheat germ or rice bran for the shiny coats. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

elizabeth
Mar. 24, 2001, 10:43 PM
Wow, Merry. You have the ability to still sound upbeat about the most trying of days! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Your recitation of your day made me laugh out loud.

Next time, try muttering to Hammie some of the lines about Alpo that somebody mentioned on the thread "Do you talk to your horse." /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 25, 2001, 05:25 AM
Merry, your answer to 1. A & B is a resounding YES! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But your day should allow you kudos for sticking with it. You have my utmost respect for your handling of QHSM. We know your curbs were jingling to keep you bitting your tongue. WTG!!! Plus, look at it this way. The cult/corporation has now devised, thanks to rusty, a new scheme making boo-ko bucks. Rusty waved her majic wand, Hammie is now a year wiser, and hopefully smarter! All this, while waiting for you to return. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif elizabeth has come back toooooo /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rusty
Mar. 25, 2001, 07:21 AM
I guess it is time to put my lab coat back on (yuck) and find away to make a breathalizer for a horse. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Mar. 25, 2001, 08:35 AM
Ah yes, lead changes... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I have them totally nailed on the flat. So now, incorporating them into the course is the next step, and one Hambola is not quite ready for. If you could see him on course, he's really cute. He just goes thru the lines, and I feel like such a dork: I glance down to see what lead he lands on (90% of the time, the wrong one) and then I have like, what, 3 strides before I hit the corner to collect, balance and ask? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif On those diagonal lines, no problem. But as Beezer says, he looks like a tourist, just cruising around the corner (on the wrong lead, mind you) kind of gazing at stuff, not going too fast, but totally IGNORING my aids to move over and change! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

I foresee lots of work over poles: canter pole, canter pole, get to corner, change. (Repeat as necessary).

And then I love that I'm judging next weekend. I can just hear people: "Her? She's the judge? Well, I guess she won't mind if I blow a lead change!"

Must point out that in both rounds of baby greens, there was not one single round that nailed all the distances and got clean lead changes, so I fit right in. Plus, I had the added benefit of a orange lipstick "smoochie" on my horse's neck! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 25, 2001, 10:24 PM
WEll while working on those pesky lead changes when for no apparent reason he hopped, lept and buck three times in the air. I managed to stay on by my Francie Steinweddel-Carvin hunt cap with balck visor came flying off. I think it must have been the squeeking breaks of an approaching truck. It's days like this that really make me feel like I am Equitation-challenged. Geeze!

Message to Coreene: Loved your barn and your boy! He's really impressive. I like those tall big boned ones (Reno the same!). Thanks for the hospitality. Tarryn: I enjoyed meeting you too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry:
Where are you judging? Is there a hack & Yack Division??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by SuaveReno on Apr. 14, 2001 at 06:59 AM.]

wtywmn4
Mar. 26, 2001, 05:18 AM
So Merry, where are you judging? Wty hoping that the cult won't be disallowed to show under their leader. Curbs jingling, horses leaping and bounding, sounds like a fun show to me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Ah lead changes, well I gave up on them. Way too stressful! For some unknown reason they can all do them, but not when asked. Trainer says do it this way, right. Horse says not in a million years, when I am damn good and ready. Which in essence means you canter the corners, with the efficency of a Mack truck. Lovely to look at, even better to try and ride. So Merry, how much do you count off for this? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

rusty
Mar. 26, 2001, 07:07 AM
Wty should we take a road trip to where Merry is judging? I'll bring the blender and the carrots. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 26, 2001, 08:10 AM
Oh yes! We should do this rusty /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Plus our lovely equine friends can come along. They would love having Carrot Margaritas, especially with all those lovely yummies thrown in! Wty jingles her curb......

Merry
Mar. 26, 2001, 08:56 AM
It's a San Diego County show in Temecula--- yes, the wine country, but don't get any crazy ideas!

"Where's the judge? Isn't it time for her lunch break to be over?"

"She should be back, but last I heard she was headed to the Callaway wine tasting tour and Cafe Champagne. She climbed into a Winnebago with a group of gals jingling curb chains."

A final note on lead changes: Hey, a horse hasn't been invented that neither Beezer nor I cannot teach to do changes. Hammie will do them, it's just incorporating them into the course that's hard right now.

I felt kind of guilty in church on Sunday. When they asked for prayer requests, I seriously had this impulse to fill out the prayer card with the note, "My horse needs help getting his changes." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Coreene
Mar. 26, 2001, 09:45 AM
However, I am sitting here in HUGE AMOUNTS OF PAIN because my BIG FAT B'STARD HORSE KICKED ME IN THE THIGH YESTERDAY.

There is a horseshoe shaped bruise. It's a big time owie. His Lordship took exception to the fact that I had given him a whack for lunging towards some grass and almost sending me flying.

Then, when he went into his stall, he turned around and ran out.

So the best part of the weekend was meeting SuaveReon, which it was anyhow, but now really is!

Beezer
Mar. 26, 2001, 12:22 PM
Ah, Coreene. Doncha just LOVE the beasties?? Sorry about your thigh ... but I am SURE you will be able to find someone to kiss it better -- just see our previous threads. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Merry LOVES her Hammie. The Hambola is her soul mate. But they are conflicted. Does anyone have an extra tiara? That way they wouldn't have to fight over the one Merry has. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

There once was a colt named Hammie,
Whose changes packed a real whammie.
He'd buck and he'd scoot,
Like a real horse's patoot,
Turning every round into a shammie! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Coreene
Mar. 26, 2001, 12:44 PM
But I wouldn't wear a crown - it messes up your hair!

wtywmn4
Mar. 26, 2001, 12:57 PM
Get the Winnebago out of the shed. We're going on a road trip! Cafe Champagne, yeah baby. Coreene, you can rest in the back of the Winne. We'll find a little bruise therapy for you. Seriously tho, sorry to hear your lovely wanted to brand you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif That is not a fun happening.

Okay, so cult absconds with the judge. Heads for wine country, /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I can just see he headlines...."Unique Visitor", Merry, who is also a freelance writer for the times, taken by cult to wine country. Her column, "Dealing with Horse Show Groupies" is going to press as we speak. With curbs, jingling, blender whirring, the cult heads off into the sunset. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Beezer
Mar. 26, 2001, 01:28 PM
Wow! If the whole cult is coming to razz Merry while she judges, Beezer just might have to make the road trip too ... though, no, wait. She has to go back to that same place the next day to ride in the jumpers! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif (Which, she hastens to point out, Merry will NOT be judging, just merely laughing at her beloved sister as she struggles to contain the hot tamale pinto WB mare. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )

SuaveReno
Mar. 26, 2001, 06:17 PM
Way Cool. Coreene and I will wear our Manolo's (your bruise willing, your cute baby was a stinker? I've never seen a horse nicker as much as he does when he sees you. Well then, No more nicker nibbles for him /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) Bring the 18k curb chains and rust breeches for old time sake /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Mar. 26, 2001, 07:02 PM
Oh my gosh, perhaps that's what's wrong with my Fancy Boy! He loves those stupid Nicker Nibbles! He goes ape over them, unlike any other horse cookie. And I swear he's been a wanker ever since I've been giving them to him!

Let's do some laboratory research. What's really in those things???

AAJumper
Mar. 26, 2001, 07:59 PM
OUCH Coreene! That sounds really painful! I hope you heal quickly!

My old horse used to really like Apple Wafers, although I have no idea why...they look like they taste like chalk. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 27, 2001, 04:29 AM
Do we have money $$$$ for gas? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Or do we need to dip into the group's bank account?

rusty
Mar. 27, 2001, 07:18 AM
I am guessing that we need to dip into the groups bank account.

Merry
Mar. 27, 2001, 07:48 AM
Well, just ask Beezer... a potentially "Doh!" situation was narrowly averted last night when I found out just by luck that our trainer had a whole list of clients signed up to attend that show, not realizing I was judging! Could you imagine? She'd arrive with 5 or 6 clients, and they couldn't compete because !surprise! I'm the judge!?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I only see her/take a lesson once a week, so she didn't know I was the judge until I just mentioned it in passing. So what I did was switch with next month's judge. This way, the trainer gets to go with her clients, and I get to show the Hambola once again this weekend!

Notice I am heading over to work on lead changes right now... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:15 AM
Do you think Rusty could make a concoction of margaritas that could fuel the winnebago???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:19 AM
Hey, I'm not sure my rounds are fit for public consumption, regardless of whether rusty's beverages are!

elizabeth
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:20 AM
I forgot to comment on the tourist notion - it made me laugh out loud! I can just picture Hammie, mindlessly ignoring your thumping legs, trying to get him to change, and he does a tight-lipped smile and the Queen's wave.

Well hello, little child, so glad you could attend this show. Oh, look, is that a 'Good Year Blimp' over there? Hmmmmm, what a lovely starter they have at the in-gate. . . . .

weeble
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:40 AM
So we just postpone the road trip for a month, gives us more time to plan....and save! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Merry, good luck with the Ham-ster (hamster?) this weekend, and Coreene, hope you're feeling better.

Weeble is off to Pebble Beach to rub elbows with the beautiful people. For Weeble, that usually includes lots of bowing, scraping, and saying "Oh sorry, did I hit you with my elbow?" Weeble is not one of the beautiful people, just a lowly amateur, but is going anyway.

Rusty, save me a carrot margarita!

rusty
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:57 AM
Weeble, if my schedule permits I just might be able to deliver the carrot Margaritas myself. Any excuse to go to a show. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Good Luck

Coreene
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:38 AM
...if she did, all & sundry would be alarmed at what is now a Clydesdale-sized bruise on her leg.

However - due in no small measure to CA CLIQUE good wishes - it feels much better today. Well, good wishes and lossa petrochemicals, but you know what I mean.

elizabeth
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:41 AM
coreene, you must tell them that it is a tatoo: "Oh, yes, that is a horse-shoe tattoo. You've never heard of it? Well, obviously you are not trendy." (Then scoot off. . . or limp off. . . whatever.)

HEY, WHERE IS THIS SHOW IN PEBBLE BEACH?
(I'm yelling b/c I keep wanting to go to shows, just to quietly watch, but nobody tells me where they are! So I sit at home. . . alone. . . putting on a horse show with my breyer horses. . . <<sigh>> )

elizabeth
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:47 AM
Oh, and I imagine that I am riding the Breyer horses. I pin the ones that I ride at the top of my make-believe horse show. Except in the flat classes. I am putrid in the flat classes, even on the Breyer horses.

I think it is because I have heavy thighs. . . .

Beezer
Mar. 27, 2001, 11:40 AM
Ah, yes, Elizabeth ... Hammie, now starring in the blockbuster remake of "The Accidental Tourist." It's really quite a funny sight. He just kinda lopes along, staring around, oblivious to Merry's aids. Then he gets ticked and kicks out ... you can almost here him grump in a whiny teenager voice, "Shut UP! I'm busy!!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

"There goes Hammie with Merry on his back."

Coreene, glad to hear you're doing better. Weeble, have fun at Pebble Beach. Rusty, fire up that blender! Nicker Nibbles margaritas all around!

Coreene
Mar. 27, 2001, 12:04 PM
The Hambola LOPES? Why, does he think he's TRIGGER? I love it.

On a separate note, am currently fuming since a coworker thought fit to bring her 2 year old twins into the office right now. They have been here for an hour. I can feeeeeeeeel my blood pressure going up!

wtywmn4
Mar. 27, 2001, 12:16 PM
The Hambola lopes? Did he do western pleasure in his previous life? Could be why he loves looking off into the distance, he's trying to find some moo's. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Well, Merry still think we need to bring the Winne, coreene needs a place to display her tatoo/rest. And we need a place to, well,hang out? With all the blender margaritas, we need to be able to sit down. Rusty, we may be able to reformulate the old gas tank. Carrot margaritas might give us extra mileage. Then we could head north and visit weeble at Pebble!!!

elizabeth, put your Breyers away, we're off! It's a road trip!!!

Is Beezer still doing the jumpers with her WB pinto mare? Curbs jingling softly, the group, starts assembling themselves /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by wtywmn4 on Mar. 27, 2001 at 03:21 PM.]

SuaveReno
Mar. 27, 2001, 12:28 PM
Good luck Weeble. Pebble is such a great place. Send pics!!! Sitting here at my desk reflecting...I would like to be one of the beautiful amateurs who apparently has scads of money and can take 3 horses to all the A shows she can manage. I too would love a beautiful husband that shows his 3 equally beautiful hunters at the A shows along side of me /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I am not making fun but merely hoping that in the next life I will not blow Bill Gates off as some geek when asked for a date in college. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Then I too can show my string of hunters at the A shows in my next life.

Since I am a working girl, I always like to be ahead of the HS expenses (A shows especially.) But /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I gotta tell ya that I added some hypothetical expenses for all these folks that do the circuit with many horses based on their year end awards in Typo Circuit, and they must be spending over 100k per year and that's a conservative estimate. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I am just amazed.

You know, I read the article showing on a budget and I wish I could braid. Holy Cow (leapin lizzards is in me somewhere)thank God for Mike Cell. His braids are wonderful. Heck, I can barely manage the button on my ratcatcher let alone braid. I could wish for that too in my next life..but I am holding out for the money /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Coreene my sympathties to you on the rug rats...Merry Good luck with the Hummer this weekend! Where are you showing??? Is lunch on?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Beezer
Mar. 27, 2001, 02:27 PM
Sigh. I don't mean "lopes" literally! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I mean, Hammie has this great big elastic stride; he doesn't have to gallop around ... he just kinda rocking-horse canters ... you know -- lopes!! So Merry is always bragging about how she doesn't have to hurry to make her counts and how easy he gets all the strides ... really, it's QUITE disgusting, this bragging. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And, yes, jangle those curb chains loud and long for Beezer. She is going to attempt to take the wild pinto WB beastie to do jumpers the day after Hammie tries to get his lead changes. But given the fact that because of all the rain said beastie has not been shown since November /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif and because of Beezer's recently pulled suspensory she has not JUMPED in more than two weeks ... well, as I said, start jangling those curb chains now. (Methinks we'll be dropping down a division or two. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )

Merry
Mar. 27, 2001, 04:07 PM
Oh, pish-posh, this talk just cracks me up!

I've bellyached for a pretty hunter that'd win prizes in the hacks for a couple of years, and now I'm suffering angst because he swaps leads on the flat but not yet on course.

Hey, coreene, stick a leech on that bruise and let it suck the clotted blood out. You can even name it. "Oh, this is my pet leech, Alfred."

Beezer, if The Lovely Spot gets a little strong at Galway Downs, just head due east for about 1/4 mile and you'll end up on the training track. Eventually you'll stop.

elizabeth: Go ahead and play, but don't take the Breyer's into the bathtub with you. The glue melts and they start taking on water. Just ask Beezer. That's what she did with MINE! Waterlogged them all!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Beezer
Mar. 27, 2001, 04:21 PM
And she's STILL never forgiven me for it.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 27, 2001, 07:07 PM
Weeble, sounds like you are going to have fun! Pebble Beach is such a beautiful area! I'd like to show there someday...unlikely though, because of the distance. Good luck at the show! Don't forget to give us a full report when you return!

Beezer and Merry...good luck this weekend! I imagine Temecula would be nice this time of year. I have never been to Galaway Downs...is it nice?

Nothing exciting going on here....just the daily torture of engineering work. Blech. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Things have been going well with Cypress. This is the slow part of the week, when I don't ride (Sunday-Tues), but I get to ride tomorrow! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif That totally helps to break up the week. When I don't get to ride (on my usual days, Wed, Fri and Sat), I get really grouchy (and really annoyed w/the weirdos at work)...anyone else have the same problem?

Beezer
Mar. 27, 2001, 07:15 PM
Absolutely have the same "issue," AA! In fact, am about out the door to go ride NOW ... you know you need a fix when your co-workers look at you out of the corner of their eyes and ask, "You haven't been out to ride lately, have you?" THEY KNOW THE SIGNS!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:08 PM
I have a pic of Cypress at work, to remind me why I'm there! Beezer, your coworkers are much more observant than mine. My boss still thinks that it would be beneficial to him if I didn't take a few days off here and there to show. Little does he know what a monster I'd turn into!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

elizabeth
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:13 PM
Galaway Downs. . . Galaway Downs. . . . elizabeth gets on mapquest to find Galaway Downs. . . . you are TRYING to keep me away from the horse shows, but you're gonna FAIL. . . . I'll be there - there's an egg sandwich with my NAME on it!!!

SuaveReno
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:58 PM
It's Post Equestrian Stress Disorder. I know I'm afflicted. I got to the office at 6:30am so i could leave at 3:30 and get to the barn by 5:00. Had a lesson. Jump a line buck, buck , buck. Pull his head up...don't let him do that. Where's your lead change? You already know how to stop! Buck, buck, buck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

The best partof the evening was grooming and petting his head and playing with his nose. Afterall Tomorrow is another day /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Beezer do you have a pic of your Paint WB? He sounds wonderfuL! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Merry
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:09 PM
Ahem, Suave, it's a PINTO warmblood MARE! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

She's just gorgeous. And she knows it. Remember: many have admired her from afar, and desired to possess her. But alas, once they climb aboard... they want off!

Beezer and I find this amazing, because we do not find the Lovely Spot difficult to ride, just amusing and a tad challenging.

Some of my favorite moments at shows have been watching Beezer negotiate jumper courses on spotted beast horse. The mare jumps so cute and earnestly, and she's totally honest. But Beezer... well, Lovely Spot just isn't quite sure exactly what Beezer's job is. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:14 PM
Yikes Suave, you have quite a drive from work to the barn! I used to have about a 1.5 hour drive from downtown LA to Moorpark. Now I don't have a long drive (only 10 minutes from work to home, 30 minutes from work to barn) but I work with crazy people. Ah, the tradeoffs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif But I used to work 6:15 to 3:45 (9 hour day, every other Friday off) so that I could get out to ride at a decent hour.

Hmmm...when do we all get to see Levely Spot, Beezer? Any plans of going to Blenheim in July? Do you go to LAEC at all? I wonder if I'll get to Showpark at all this year, what with all the indecisive people at my barn. It's not looking promising. And besides, I have waterskiing to fit in during the summer as well! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:46 PM
Gosh Merry is my face red. I'm afraid i don't know the difference between a paint & a pinto (they don't call us amateurs for nuthin') Hopefully Beezer will not take offence. Remind her that i am just a old neophyte (oximoron)

Yes AAJUmper I travel 58 miles one way to Glendale. i am about 5 mintues from the LA Equestrian center. Last week i went to pet Richard Spooner's horses on the nose (for inspiration).

We are up in the air about shows too. I'll tell you if the Nasdaq was better, I'd be going to a lot more. but I'll do the Oaks, Blenheim and Huntington beach plus some Gold Coasts in between. Del Mar and LAEC. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 27, 2001, 10:49 PM
AAJumper makes note to self: Do not drink Snapple Iced Tea before bed.

Oh my, SuaveReno....and to think I complained about my 35 mile drive downtown! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 28, 2001, 04:43 AM
Suave, you blew off Bill Gates for a date? Girl we need to talk!! Muttering to herself, wty knows this group is primo for a road trip!! Plus now poor Suave is spending even more of her life on the road.

So, elizabeth have you narrowed it down? Mapquest can sometimes take you the round about way to places.

Hmmmm, looks like that old sibling rivalry is rearing it's head. Beezer drowning Merry's Breyer's, let's see. Pulling her Psyche 101 book from college. No, nothing in here about drowning sister's plastic horses. Might have to go to the index. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Wouldn't it be nice to go visit weeble? Coreene pet leach attached, A/A, Suave (one more road trip),elizabeth (you can bring your Breyers), rusty (faithful blender in hand)Beezer & Merry (you can bring QHSM). They have a lovely jumper ring for the WB pinto mare. And Merry, Hammie would enjoy loping around the hunter rings. The Winne would be there, sounds like almost a day at the beach? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Bumpkin
Mar. 28, 2001, 07:28 AM
Suave Reno had her reasons to blow off Bill Gates for a date.
I knew him in his "teenage" years, and I don't recall anyone being enamoured /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
When I say I knew him, I don't mean we were friends. But I went to many Lakeside parties, etc... and so I saw him around.
I guess if Suave Reno and I had our psychic's with us, haha /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif , perhaps thing would have been different. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Coreene
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:37 AM
"After all," she says to herself (again), "it's not like he was Antonio Banderas at any point in his life. And even if you could have married him and had every horse you ever wanted, you'd still wake up in the morning when you were not at shows and there he'd be, next to you."

Bruise Update: leech-less, it is fading faster than I had expected. Willem, contrite on Monday, decided yesterday that he (an 18 year old gelding) had PMS and chose not to speak to me. Ergo, I did little in return.

She then surveys the bomb site otherwise known as her desk, shakes her head in dismay, and begins wading through masses of paperwork...

Merry
Mar. 28, 2001, 11:09 AM
Eeewww! Waking up next to Bill Gates? Blech-pooey!

Sorry, but I do have a price, and he could afford me.

When I taught first grade I had a color photo of Don Johnson from Miami Vice taped to the inside of my desk drawer. Whenever I needed inspiration, or a break from the little monsters, I'd just amble back to my desk, pull out that drawer and *sigh* it was pink flamingos and margaritas and Donnie boy!

[This message was edited by Merry on Mar. 29, 2001 at 11:17 AM.]

Coreene
Mar. 28, 2001, 11:13 AM
Merry, what haven't you done? Awe-inspiring career going on!

TuxWink
Mar. 28, 2001, 03:27 PM
Galway Downs Information (http://www.galwaydowns.com) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Coreene
Mar. 28, 2001, 04:12 PM
What is the Closest-To-Midpoint-Show that all West Coast BBers can hook up at???

Bumpkin
Mar. 28, 2001, 04:14 PM
Sounds central to me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
It is only a 12 hour drive one way /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Beezer
Mar. 28, 2001, 04:16 PM
That's the place, TuxWink. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But Beezer -- after endless, agonizing self-questioning and analysis -- has decided that perhaps THIS Galway Downs show is not the one for her and The Lovely Spot to make their 2001 debut. I dunno ... for some reason, the thought of Spot out in a huge open field with nothing between her and the mountains except Beezer and a pelham.... Well, let's just say Beezer doesn't want to go there. So she is wimping and regrouping, taking aim on a show NEXT weekend that will be in an arena with an actual FENCE around it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Then on to the next Galway show in a couple of weeks!

But Merry and Hammie, however, will be there on Saturday. So will Beezer -- to spectate and schlep and polish Merry's tiara. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Beezer will also no doubt be stationed down in the far corner again to talk Hammie through the scary corner with the starting gate ... envision Merry ordering here: "Say something to him so he knows it's OK to go down there!!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 28, 2001, 04:40 PM
Suave Reno still at the office needs to call it a day but between works there's always the boards.

Del Mar? Ok I know it's a little south for a midway point but everyone seems to catch that show. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Santa Barbara???? LAEC???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 28, 2001, 04:56 PM
Okay, okay, wty knows that money isn't everything. But, it would be nice, just once to come and go as you please? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif But you all are right. Heaving a big sigh, happily she jingles her curb.

Beezer is a wise person, that turning with no ring, is not a fun thing. Especially when one's fav mare keeps going, with no stopping, and is next in the stabling area /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Having been there on several occasions, we make a concerted effort to focus only on shows with fencing! And this is a supposed hunter /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And NO won't even dare go near the jumpers, way too scarey.

AAJumper
Mar. 28, 2001, 07:36 PM
So Beezer, I'm guessing Blenheim wouldn't be your first choice to show at, what with those wide open grass fields that go on forever? And the "railing" is pratically non-existant! So what show are you planning to go to the next weekend? LAEC perhaps? Cypress and I will be there on the 8th.

Welcome to the BB TuxWink! I see you are a fellow Los Angelino! I'm not in the City of LA, but I'm in LA County. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

daytimedrama
Mar. 28, 2001, 07:38 PM
yeah!!! I'm going to the oaks tomarrow!!! My first time showing there!!!

~Christina~

AAJumper
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:14 PM
Christina, you'll love it there. It is gorgeous, the weather is nice, and you can go to the beach after you show! It was great for the jumpers because the warmup area is practically endless...just a giant field of grass. Except, uh, the grass hurts though when you fall on it...but the nurses at the hospital near there are real nice...can you tell I didn't exactly have a successful show there? But it is really nice, and I want to go back...that is, if they'll let me back! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

daytimedrama
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:51 PM
oh it sounds so nice, except I'm doing hunters in the sand, so if i fall off... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, I'll come back and tell everyone how it went!

~Christina~

wtywmn4
Mar. 29, 2001, 05:10 AM
Wty gives out a big sigh. The Oaks, a great place to show!! Don't forget to wear your curb. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Suave has her soap box, and we of course will crowd on it with her..A/A can we cheer you on in thought?

Merry
Mar. 29, 2001, 08:24 AM
You see, you guys, you're on more, shall I say, "seasoned" horses! I long to be showing at the Oaks, LAEC, Pebble Beach, Del Mar National, etc., but I have four-yr. old, so I can only pedal so far so fast this year, okay? But I'll be there in spirit with you!

Meanwhile, I'm slinking off to school LEAD CHANGES. We have them totally while cantering over a "course" of ground poles. It's like no big whoop. Now I'll add an actual fence. Wish me luck. Jangle those curb chains...

Merry hears not only jangling, but the subtle strains of the Toreador/Matador theme in the background as she pulls on her paddock boots and zips up her schooling chaps to engage battle with El Hambola... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

elizabeth
Mar. 29, 2001, 08:32 AM
You are riding at 8:30 a.m., Merry? Dear God, woman, no wonder Hammie kicks out periodically!

You might as well yank him from the warmth of his stall in the dead of night and ride him then!

Poor Hamburger . . . I mean "Hambola"!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

wtywmn4
Mar. 29, 2001, 11:54 AM
You know FPQ Merry, elizabeth may have a good point! By the way, where is that darling tiara I got for you at clothes for less? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 29, 2001, 01:43 PM
Well, my horse may be seasoned, but I sure haven't been riding like I am!!! Well, at least not at shows! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Okay, but this was my first Indio (I've been 3 times) where I didn't have to go to the emergency room!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Gotta look at the positive side of things! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chef Jade
Mar. 29, 2001, 01:48 PM
I took the 4 year old Princess Jade to Indio...So what if I face-planted into the (fortunately) plastic fencing? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Beezer
Mar. 29, 2001, 03:20 PM
There's something about Merry (so to speak /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) that you have to understand: Hammie will NOT be allowed out in polite company until she can be absolutely, 100%, completely SURE that he will not embarrass her. I figure that will be about 2017. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

elizabeth
Mar. 29, 2001, 07:04 PM
Beezer, is that why I keep trying to figure out where Merry and Hambola are showing, so I can come watch, and I keep getting DENIED the crucial information?

Merry, just wear sunglasses and show under an assumed name!

SuaveReno
Mar. 29, 2001, 09:54 PM
Is there a positive way to leave your trainer /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Here are some choices I wrestled with:

In person;
Voice mail:
Registered letter:
Have significant other leave message;
Take out ad in Typo Circuit;
Short & Sweet
Fed Ex
Your Ex
Follow a trail of grain to the new barn;
Blame someone else;
Alcohol induced (carrot margaritas)
Write note put in collar of JRT;
Note on windshield;

Just some suggestions... anyone else have any others
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by SuaveReno on Apr. 14, 2001 at 07:02 AM.]

elizabeth
Mar. 29, 2001, 10:02 PM
"Knock-Knock"
"Who's there?"
"Uhhh, NOT ME 'cause I'm leaving your barn!"

(Sorry, Suavereno, that's the best I can do. Good luck. (Are you trying to leave your barn?))

Taryn
Mar. 29, 2001, 10:24 PM
Take out an ad Suave! Make a huge production of it.

Do I sense a new neighbor? I'd loooove to catch a ride on your fancy mare!

AAJumper
Mar. 29, 2001, 10:53 PM
It was hard leaving my first trainer...I'd outgrown her in a way, and we both knew it (I think she did anyway!). Luckily, she was moving to another barn that was an extra 10 minutes away or so, and since I was already driving all the way from downtown LA, it was the perfect excuse. I told her in person, though, and I would recommend that if you don't want to have a hostile relationship with the person in the future....you know, that awkward moment when you run into each other at a show and pretend you don't know one another. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I can't exactly remember what happened when I left my last trainer because a bunch of us left all at once, and basically told her that we wanted to ride with her business partner instead of her. I can't remember what was said, but it was really uncomfortable for a few months, because they still sort of had the business together. Finally we moved to another barn, but we do still say hello when we see each other at shows.

Kryswyn
Mar. 29, 2001, 11:22 PM
More Knock Knocks for you:

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Ima
Ima who?
Ima OUTTA here!

Knock Knock
Who's There?
Itsa
Itsa who?
Itsa been real nice doing business with you!

Knock Knock
Who's There?
Hello
Hello who?
Hello I must be going

Ring Ring Ring
Hello?
<dead air>
If your phone still ain't ringing, it's still me.

Good Luck

~Kryswyn~
"Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"

dmj
Mar. 30, 2001, 09:47 AM
I totally empathize w/ your situation. The thing is, in this industry, it is almost guaranteed that you WILL run into her again....and probably often. Do it in person, and make it short but sweet. I don't know what circumstances you are leaving under, but I would try to make the whole thing as "pleasant" and non confrontational as possible.

Of course, this is kind of a "do as I say and not as I do" on my part....I left my last "trainer" (and I do use the term LOOSELY) under cover of darkness and in the middle of the night...heeehee...

Coreene
Mar. 30, 2001, 10:10 AM
In writing, just so you have a paper trail.

TuxWink
Mar. 30, 2001, 10:42 AM
suggestion. That way you can possibly avoid an emotional scene. I would just leave the note for her with all the details...when you are moving, etc. and thanking her for all the things you have learned, blah blah blah.

Beezer
Mar. 30, 2001, 10:46 AM
Oh, Suave ... I feel your pain. And while I LOVE the idea of just taping a note to the dog's collar, I think I'd opt for a short letter delivered in person and few, BRIEF minutes of firm conversation. You need to keep things as civil as possible, because, TRUST US ALL, you will run into the trainer again ... and the trainer's clients. That will be awkward enough even if there hasn't been a "scene." Sometimes, hard as it is, you just have to hold all your anger and be the cool, calm, collected one. GOOD LUCK!!

Elizabeth ... the site of Merry and Hammie's next excellent adventure was revealed by TuxWink a page or two back. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It be tomorrow. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Coreene
Mar. 30, 2001, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I like the In Writing the best.

But let's drop all pretense of being ladies for a second ... aren't there times like these where you'd really like to just give 'em the finger?

Merry
Mar. 30, 2001, 11:03 AM
Suave, I think your comrades are giving you good advice: make your departure as diplomatic as possible (hmmm... I think I wrote this article, "How to Divorce Your Trainer" for horsecity.com. It's probably archived over there. Maybe I'll find it and e-mail it to you). Write a brief, succint note. Make sure you mention at least two "good things" you've learned in her barn: "Thanks for re-introducing me to showing" or "I appreciate the emotional hand-holding you did for me while I was regaining my bearings in the show ring", etc. DO NOT bring up any accusations of wrongdoing, billing, etc. Stay vague, but perhaps just say "things have gotten stressful at times, and I think for all concerned I'd be happier at a different barn." /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Hand her the note with a smile and walk off! Just know we're there in spirit with you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Now, back to my favorite topic: Me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Yesterday Hammie got all of his changes at my trainer's. I went over there by myself (she went up to Rainbow Canyon to try a horse for a client). I even got him to land on the correct lead a couple of times. So now, the $64. question is: How many flying changes will I actually get on course tomorrow? Can I have just two or three out of four classes? Please??

Ironically, I wasn't going to school down any lines, because those he's doing really well. But at the last minute I thought, oh what the heck... Wow! It was like riding a freakin' snake! How much more crooked and weavy could he possibly be? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif It was like riding an eel, LOL! But finally I fixed it.

Beezer is correct. I will not venture into the glorious AHSA-rated arenas until I'm fairly certain of being able to maintain my princess-on-horseback status. After all, I don't want anyone yanking the crown off my head! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Coreene
Mar. 30, 2001, 12:08 PM
Or, instead of the finger, a great big "Screw you and the horse you rode in on!!!"

Okay .... not really but sometimes it feels go to just fantasize about it for a bit. I did once, in my salad days, depart with a Take This Job And Shove It (and I'm not even a CW fan!).

JustaLurker
Mar. 30, 2001, 01:43 PM
Merry said:
Beezer is correct. I will not venture into the glorious AHSA-rated arenas until I'm fairly certain of being able to maintain my princess-on-horseback status. After all, I don't want anyone yanking the crown off my head!

Ah, this is what schooling shows should be about. Then, when you and Hambola make your debut at the first big show, everyone will marvel and there will be lots of "who is that fantastic horse and where did he come from?" questions voiced on the rail. You can smile, re-adjust your crown, bask in the adulation, and take all the credit. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers, Maggi

wtywmn4
Mar. 30, 2001, 02:07 PM
Yup, absolutely in writing Suave. You will see this person more than when you were at their barn. Good luck, and we're all here for you, margarita's in hand, curbs softly jingling. Loved the tape a note to the windshield one!!

Merry, crown in place, ready's everything for the big debut. Hammie, looking ever so handsome waits patiently. Knowing he will be a STAR tomorrow. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The cult, with Carrot margaritas set out, curbs jingling in unison, watchs their leader putting on the last finishing touchs.

AAJumper
Mar. 30, 2001, 04:08 PM
UGH!!! Cypress has a big pocket of fluid on her butt (towards her tail). When we went to Indio we noticed that she had a fist sized bump...it looked like she got kicked. But she was fine, not off or anything. She's been okay the past two weeks, but this morning she had a big sack of fluid in that area. So the vet is coming out tomorrow to see if it needs to be drained or not. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif She was not sore from it at all. I'm hoping that she'll be okay and it won't get worse. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to miss the show next Sunday. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Merry, good luck with Hammie and have fun!

AAJumper jingles her curb chain bracelet at Merry for luck.

elizabeth
Mar. 30, 2001, 07:39 PM
Good luck with Ms. Cypress. The indignity of a bumpy-butt.

I shall close my eyes hard and jingle my curb chain bracelet ferverently.

Buster had a huge hematoma (a sack filled with fluid) between his front two legs last year, on his chest. It looked like. . . well. . . a breast. The vet had to come and lance it, b/c gravity was not permitting it to be re-absorbed. It sounds like Princess Cypress's bump is in a better place, from a re-absorption standpoint.

Poor you and Cypress.

Beezer
Mar. 30, 2001, 07:41 PM
Cypress has an owie!! All together now, with curb bracelets dangling, send best wishes and get well soon thoughts! Be well, oh lovely Cypress. For it will not do to worry your mother. Especially since she ordered up watermelon margaritas special for you. Be well, oh lovely Cypress!

AAJumper
Mar. 30, 2001, 07:55 PM
Well, she's been getting more stocked up than usual when she's in her stall during the day (she's out at night because she gets stocked up behind) and we think the hematoma may have been contributing to that. But now the fluid is localized at that one spot. I'm hoping that the vet will just prescribe those big yellow pills that help reduce fluid. Poor Miss Cypress...she's not tender to the touch in that area, which is good, and she's sound. In fact, she's been soooo wonderful in our flatwork...I'm having a great time. She's been so round and soft and light. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif We're working on focusing on getting that feeling in between the jumps rather than obsessing about the distance, and I think it's helping!

SuaveReno
Mar. 30, 2001, 10:11 PM
Well I made the transition today (wasn't that diplomatic???). First of all let me thank everyone for jangling thier curb chains...I felt the power!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

I was in my office ever so far away, dealing with office garbage when my trainer called and said she would prefer to talk to me over the phone and not face to face. So I phoned it in. OMG!! I told her that my riding goals had changed and I was moving to another barn but would like her to keep the door open for me should I want to come back. She said NO, that is not possible over and over again and within 10 miunutes all my stuff for two horses was at my new trainers barn (they are on the same premises). I agree that I should have met with her face to face and put something in writing but unfortunately that was not the case. I can't tell you how much I agonized over this for months but I went to my new barn today and realized life outside my old barn exists /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It's such a small world out there it's so important not to burn bridges.

AAJumper so sorry to hear about Cypress. Hopefully everything will turn out well!!!

This was kinda like a divorce (what about the children!!!!)Again so many thanks for all of you who wished me well. I felt your power. Seriously /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now I deserve Rusty's margaritas /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by SuaveReno on Mar. 31, 2001 at 11:09 AM.]

Merry
Mar. 30, 2001, 10:23 PM
Hmmm... a margarita. Would that go well with the ham sandwich I'm in the process of making to take to the show tomorrow?

Oh my! I just realized I'm eating a HAM sandwich tomorrow at the show where I'm showing HAMmie!

Is that some sort of Freudian slip? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Suave, I seriously thought about you today. Phew, actually it's kind of painless that it was done over the phone. I believe this is Reason #43 why I have no interest in being either in full training or taking on a career as a professional horse trainer: Client break-ups. I'd be a Valium addict. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 30, 2001, 11:16 PM
Suave, glad to hear you made the move. That is a drag that your trainer had to be so immature about the whole thing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif So since you will be at the same facility, I guess you'll run into her once in a while? Yikes. :eek At least you can have the peace of mind to know that you tried to make the "break up" as pleasant as possible. And based on the reaction you got, you made a good decsion to leave!

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes for Miss Cypress. I will pass them along to her.

wtywmn4
Mar. 31, 2001, 04:56 AM
Suave, glad you made the move. Sorry it didn't happen the way you wanted, but you're right, don't burn any bridges.

Does Cypress have a fav boyfriend, that could kiss her owie? Poor girl, those hematomas aren't pleasant.Wty jangles her curb, soothing sounds for wellness.
Curbs jingling, we chant in unison for Merry. Winner, winner, winner. Hammie behave!!!! Merry, light on the leg. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 31, 2001, 07:00 AM
50 Ways To leave your Trainer.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have to think of some verses...

Merry: I can tell if you were a trainer, nobody would leave you /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It should be interesting today. As a side note yesterday when I was at the new barn, one of my friends from my old barnand I were talking and (this is a little difficult to explain, you had to be there to appreciate it /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) my old trainer took her golf cart and kept making circles around us. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Unbelievable. For example, if we would walk to the Balboa ring, she would circle to the right and be at the ring. If we would walk to the left she would be there too. So sad /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I guess I was one of her last "paying customers" /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I don't mean to bore you all with this stuff, but she called all the kids together and told them it was ok to play with my daughter (but apparently they are not to go on the new barn's turf /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ) Un Bleep Bleep Believable /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif So it should be interesting today...

Thanks WTY and AA for your positive thoughts. At the end of the day, I guess it's the anticipation of leaving that's the greater fear than the actual act /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But onward and upward /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by SuaveReno on Mar. 31, 2001 at 10:09 AM.]

AAJumper
Mar. 31, 2001, 09:21 AM
Wtywmn...the other day I caught Cypress having her rear "kissed" by Kasanova!!! She was in the crossties with her butt over by his stall door. He was sniffing her and doing the curled upper lip thing. It was so funny!

Suave, your old trainer is sounding more and more like a certifiable nutcase! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif So, when do we get to hear (read) your rendition of 50 Ways to Leave Your Trainer??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper
Mar. 31, 2001, 02:49 PM
Update on Miss Cypress...the vet came out and looked at the hematoma and said it wasn't in a critical spot. He suggested that since it is not bothering her, to go ahead and show on Sunday, and if there is still fluid, he will come out and put a drain in. It isn't in a critical location on her butt...he said that if it was in a different spot it could cause trouble with extending the hind leg. Of course, if it gets worse, we'll call him and have him come drain it right away, but as of now, he's not concerned about it. Basically, she broke a blood vessel and then he thinks the clot got dislodged, causing serum to collect in that area. He said that it could get absorbed on it's own. So we'll keep an eye on it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SuaveReno
Mar. 31, 2001, 06:17 PM
Before I start, let me just say that I am relieved to hear that Cypress will be ok. Good luck on Sunday AAJumper! We'll be rooting for you!

Both my daughter and my first lesson went very well. In fact, it's so great to get a different point of view. The barn is organized, efficient and everyone was so nice to us. We are glad that we are there!

Now for the daytime drama....As you may or may not recall my old trainer has a barnful of kids that played with my daughter. She got them so worked up about my daughter leaving that they were all walking by our ring in tears. After my daughter's lesson the old trainer and her asisstants came up to my 10 year old daughter and cried and carried on like you wouldn't believe I BTW I was not around when this happened. Needless to say my daughter felt horrible.

Then my trainer, told the kids at first they could play only in the (what I refer to as the DMZ)neutral territory of picnic benches in the common area. When she saw that they were successfully doing this. She rode up on her golf cart and said " Would all MY KIDS, please come here" which of course left my daughter sitting alone. She proceeded to punish them by making them do chores around her barn for playing with my daughter. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

It was a valuable lesson for my daughter to learn unfortunately /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Don't they say what goes around comes around /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I think it does. What a sad, pitiful person. I am so sorry we didn't leave sooner. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But onward and upward /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dublin
Mar. 31, 2001, 10:33 PM
SuaveReno, I was so sorry to hear about the way your former trainer is acting. She sounds positively psycho!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif And her behavior towards your daughter is really shameful; I just can't fathom it, frankly....

For what it's worth, I went through a fairly unpleasant experience with a former trainer when I switched to another trainer. However, my new trainer was a wonderful person, and made my final two years of showing a pleasure, so it was definitely worth it. Hang in there, and keep in mind that her behavior only reflects badly on HER, not on you or your daughter in any way.

Taryn
Mar. 31, 2001, 11:43 PM
Suave, I'm so sorry the 'break up' was less than civilized. Right now I'm at the point where I believe all trainers are cut from the same cloth. I've been burned one to many times. Of course, this idealogy is not helping me at the moment. I'm findng it hard to trust a trainer, yet I am in dire need of some guidance.

I say leave the past behind (even though that's hard being at the same facility), and have an open mind with your new trainer. I do believe there are trustworthy people who honestly care about the welfare of your horse, and you /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

wtywmn4
Apr. 1, 2001, 05:34 AM
Thankfully Suave, you are out of there. The saddest thing is that this, imature, piece of work, alias "trainer", is resorting to these tactics. When people stoop to putting their burdens on children, I get incensed. Am like everyone else, what goes around, comes around. And it does!!! We just have to be patient. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A/A curbs are jingling, for you and Cypress. See, her owie was kissed, so have a GREAT show!Merry, Merry where for art tho? Sorry, springing the clocks ahead has thrown poor wty off balance. We need breakfst margaritas, rusty????

AAJumper
Apr. 1, 2001, 08:03 PM
Thanks Wtywmn...we are basically just going to school at the show though. My trainer is going to ride Cypress too, to see why I feel she is harder for me to ride in the arena as opposed to the warmup ring. I'm 99.99% sure she is the same, and I'm just having mental problems! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

AAJumper chants to self...."do not obsess about the distance, do not obsess about the distance...."

Yesterday my trainer's ex was at the barn and he couldn't resist helping me fix my bad position. He's tough though....really really picky and notices everything. My trainer felt sorry for me...she said that since he couldn't teach her (her horse was lame) that I was on the hook. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But it was really good...I have a lot of work to do on my position. Yikes! I was inspired to ride today (usually I don't ride on Sunday, but the hubby was working) and practice my "new" position. Someday I'll automatically ride with my hands properly raised, arched back, bent elbows, and pelvis properly tipped on the saddle so as to not sit on the back of my butt, someday..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif sigh....

SuaveReno
Apr. 1, 2001, 08:36 PM
Well today was a new day, I got up early went over to the barn just to check on things and found my stall gate up Reno peacefully munching his breakfast and Umberto getting ready for the Oaks. They keep the place so organized and I am just not used to it /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I wish I could keep my house as organized /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My daughter developed a headache and didn;t want to go to the barn today so I said, "Ok, if you want to let this other nonsence get you down stay here...but if you want jump those caveleti's, put your breaches on, suck it up and get in the car...but not before you brush your teeth /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Quick question. (Tengo una pregunta) in an EQ class over fences, where should your hands be? At the martingale? 12 inches above the martingale? How much of a release on the mouth should you have? I worked on my aids, getting Reno to be more responsive to my leg, it was soo great. They actually explained why you do something as opposed to just telling you to do it. I wanted to work on it today but Reno has a loose shoe so we were grounded. Kari BTW had a great time today jumping caveleti's. Everyone heard what happened and were very kind to her. She jumped and had a great time after all /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AA Jumper: Since I changed barns, I won't be at LAEC this weekend. I have to sit down and figure out which shows I gonna do. i think tho' we could be on the same schedule for many of them. I am just not sure which classes I'll be in /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry we want tales of the Hammie and the ham sandwich. Were you in a hack and snack class /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

elizabeth
Apr. 1, 2001, 09:37 PM
Things are looking waaay up, Suavereno! I'm glad the new barn is working out. And I'm glad the new barn is giving your (slightly traumatized) daughter some TLC! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't know the answer to your release question. I never actually look - I go by feel. (Of course, sometime I "feel" myself hanging my horse in the fact, but. . . .)

Let's see what the master's (Merry? Beezer? AAJumper?) have to say. . .
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper
Apr. 1, 2001, 10:07 PM
LOL...I'm about the farthest thing from a master...I just got reamed for my eq!!! I do know that at least on the flat (and I'm sure this applies to O/F) I was told to shorten my reins (my trainer's ex's pet peeve...long reins!) and raise my hand. I think my hands were about six inches above the martingale when I was riding correctly, but I'm just guessing...I wasn't allowed to look down!!! Just make sure that your elbows are bent...I lock mine constantly!

Sorry to hear you won't be at LAEC on Sunday, Suave. I'm sure we'll meet up at a show one of these days. We finally have a tentative show calendar at the barn:
Memorial Day Classic at LAEC
Ride America the last week of June
Blenheim the week of July 20th

That's all that is planned for now, with Gold Coast shows thrown in here and there.

weeble
Apr. 1, 2001, 10:39 PM
Pebble was great, for the most part beautiful beach weather, sunny, in the mid-70's, but I'm sorry if I gave you guys the wrong idea. I wasn't showing, my baby is just learning how to be a "big boy" and is doing the schooling show thing closer to home. Hopefully soon he'll venture into the "A" world. I went to help friends while they showed their already "grown up" horses.

My post was kind of vague last week because the day I left for Pebble I had to euthanize my old mare. She was 18 and I'd had her since she was 2. She raced before I got her and that did her in for any life but one as a broodmare but she was a great one and in fact, the mother of the baby I have in training. I went out to feed her early and she was fine, went back out to do barn chores an hour later and she had fractured her leg. Not a mark on her and in a perfectly safe, flat, clear pasture. My vet thinks she just bucked or played and landed wrong. I've owned horses for a long time and lost them before but I will never get used to it. She was a friend, and I had great respect for the wonderful way she went about her life raising her foals. We spent many hours late at night in the barn together waiting for her foals to arrive. I will miss her.

Anyway, glad to be back, now I have to catch up on my reading...

elizabeth
Apr. 1, 2001, 10:43 PM
Ohhhhh, weeble. I'm so sorry about your mare. Drat. I'll bet she was a wonderful friend to you all those years.

I can imagine it NEVER NEVER gets easier to lose a furry friend. I hope it eases the loss somewhat to remember that you gave her a nice, comfortable life off the track. And I'm glad you have one of her babies to remember her with.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Taryn
Apr. 1, 2001, 11:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I had great respect for the wonderful way she went about her life raising her foals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That right there made me cry.

I'm so sorry weeble.

Apr. 1, 2001, 11:22 PM
so sorry, I lost one at the age of 20, that I had helped birth. There was more involved--imagine broodmare 3weeks from being due, finding her in the morning with a swollen hind ankle--think----She blew out her suspensary--SOMETHING WASN'T RIGHT!!! Get vet out, he agrees about the suspensary idea, but had x-rays taken anyway.

Does anyone know what a marbelized fracture is???

Picture leg, then a bag of gravel, then hoof.

DANG!!! I was just going to post a silly reply comparing redux to reflux...

To make a long/sad story short, we maintained the pregnancy, and delivered a foal that was beautiful--one more problem--she was braindead because the placenta detatched during the birthing process--she actually took a breath, but her shoulders hadn't passed yet. I pulled out a baby that still had a heartbeat, but...

Once again weeble, I'm sooo sorry...

wtywmn4
Apr. 2, 2001, 04:54 AM
Weeb's we are sooooo glad you're home. And so terribly sorry about your mare /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif . This is the hardest thing to do ever!! Having her baby, hopefully, will let you know she's still here.

Coreene
Apr. 2, 2001, 08:45 AM
Oh Weeble, I'm so sorry. She was as lucky to have you in her life as you were to have her in yours.

Chef Jade
Apr. 2, 2001, 08:47 AM
I am so sorry /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I can certainly sympathize...

SuaveReno...sounds like you and your daughter are well on your way to making a better home at your new barn. Some people can be so rotten, can't they? I cartainly can't sympathize with you because I have been with my trainer for about 15 years. (But maybe that because I am afraid to leave? LOL!) I have to assume the trainer you moved to is the one that I rode for last summer...and they are fabulous!

Merry - we are all expecting the full report on the pig roast - I mean Hammie's show.

AA Jumper - I'll see you this Sunday!

rusty
Apr. 2, 2001, 08:47 AM
Weeble I am so sorry that your mare had to be euthanized. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I have had to do it quite a few times because it seems I always have the geriatric ward, it never gets any easier /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

On a lighter note I am glad to be back after a weekend of cleaning the garage. Yuck

I lost a client this week, they said it was because of the facility, which is easy to believe. And I am proud to say that I did not act like Sauve's old trainer. I would like these people back if I ever get a new barn. But it is up to them.

SO lets focus our curb chain rattling to finding a new barn for rusty. Please.

wtywmn4
Apr. 2, 2001, 09:06 AM
Curbs jingling for weeble, and rusty...Good soothing sounds. Rusty we are so proud of you. It's tough to lose clients, but acting in a constructive manner is always smart!! Where's Merry? Wty hoping that nothing too offending happened for Hammie. He is a gentlemen, just going thru those teenage years /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A/A I can't believe it, someone else who rides with too long of a rein /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Constantly, and I do mean constantly am being told to shorten my reins. You would think they could at least give me some slack for having the worlds shortest arms? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Bumpkin
Apr. 2, 2001, 09:26 AM
Hmmmm
That is my story also.
Perhaps they will come out with an arm extension for those of us with the shorter arms? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Merry
Apr. 2, 2001, 10:20 AM
Okay, so I'll cut to the chase: I won a round of baby green hunters (got ALL my changes!) and won both the baby green under saddle and the Low A/A under saddle and got a third in low A/A hunters.

Now the "bad" news: Hammie can be a real brat!Case in point: he'd been tied up to the trailer for about three hours after the baby green division. He was just hanging out, munching hay. Then when he got tacked up again, his whole attitude was like, "Excuse me? What's up with this?" /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

I thought he'd be tired, but nooooooo! I start to go into my first round of low A/A hunters, and he sees this kid on a pony up on the grass berm, and that was it! His neck was up like a periscope and I could barely smack him into the arena. Then he refused to go toward the first fence, because it was in the direction of the phantom pony. We had quite a display. Needless to say, I eventually coerced him to go forward, but it was a tad less than a lovely hunter round! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif When we left, I went out to the warm-up ring and explained to him exactly what "going forward on command" meant. For my second round he was amazingly improved and I got a third.

Then we went in for the under saddle. Mind you, he'd already won a big hack class earlier, but suddenly he could not pay any attention to me. The lunch stand was now mighty interesting. AUGGH!!! At one point he broke into a canter for a few strides and I'd just had it. So I half-halted really hard and said, "Whoa, damnit!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif When I went by my trainer and Beezer, they both said, "Well, if you hadn't YELLED it wouldn't have been so noticeable."

Yikes, I still won the class! It was kind of embarrassing.

Last night it was cold, so I went over and put his blanket on. He bit me on my head! Beezer said, "He's trying to pull off the tiara, since there's only one to go around between the two of you." Oh, I'm so thrilled that I can be the source of entertainment for everyone. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

*sigh*, Suave, I'm so sorry your daughter has to be exposed to the shenanigans of your former trainer. Gosh, you should just be glad you're out of there now!

wtywmn4
Apr. 2, 2001, 11:01 AM
Ah, the chanting worked. Merry ya dun good! You retained your tiara. But whoa, that Hammie needs to be a little respectful to his mom! Chomping at one's head is grounds for a divorce. Right wty should talk. Years of bumps and bruises "oh, she didn't mean it. She's just grumpy" Uh huh! Oh Beezer, do give her a little slack. She still won the class /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe for us "shorter" armed riders they will make a rein that lengthens and shortens automatically? New project for the cult, this could be a WINNER!

Merry
Apr. 2, 2001, 11:12 AM
wtywmn: Sorry to hear about your old mare. Beezer's 3 yr. old colt put a hairline fracture in his hock by just screwing around, playing while turned out. Six months later, we're awaiting the final xray to see if it's healed totally.

Hand position: Look at the AHSA: over and in front of the withers. If your hands are in your lap (me) the reins are too long. If your hands are up by the martingale strap, too short.

Once, when I was taking lessons with Ed Marcy he kept after me to shorten my reins. Then I rode in my first George Morris clinic, and George tells me, "Your reins are too short!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Beezer
Apr. 2, 2001, 11:34 AM
Oh, Weeble. You have my deepest sympathy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif The loss of a dear, special friend is always so very hard. You are in our thoughts.

Rusty ... do you think you could sue the folks that denied you the barn for loss of business? Just a (vindictive) thought. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Maybe Elizabeth, our resident lawyer, knows.

Ah, yes ... Merry vs. Hammie at the horse show, round three. Good thing Merry used Super Glue on her tiara, 'cause Hammie was sure making a bid for it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif But she left out the best part: In that "fabulous" Low AA round, she started cussing at him ... "You little a$$%@^e! Get your fat a$$ over THERE!" Parents around the ring were seen covering the ears of their children. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif (Beezer must also point out that, yes, once again Merry was crop-less when her and Hammie's little altercation took place. Beezer is beginning to think Merry rather likes smacking Hammie with her hand. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

weeble
Apr. 2, 2001, 01:32 PM
Thank you to all of you for your kind words. I know I'm not alone...so many of us have had to go through these kinds of experiences and I know you all can understand.

On a lighter note, thank goodness we have great tales like "The Adventures of Merry and Hammy" to keep us on an even keel. Just think, in a year or two we'll be hearing about the two of them taking the hunter ring by storm (and I mean that in a good way). By then, Wty et al will have shortened their reins, (or lengthened their arms) and we will all continue through our trials and tribulations with these loveable furry beasts.

Merry, I am seriously on the hunt for a horse-sized tiara so you and Hammie will no longer need to fight over having just one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Coreene
Apr. 2, 2001, 01:53 PM
I'd never wear a crown - it messes up your hair!

Glad to hear that the Hambolarama redeemed himself and disgraced himself in the same day. I mean, if he must do the latter, it's a good thing he did the former, too. Maybe we can jingle our curb chain bracelets hard enough to get Merry to post some Hambolarama photos...

wtywmn4
Apr. 2, 2001, 02:17 PM
Wty is beside herself with excitement. A horse sized tiara for Hammster! What a coup. Where oh where can we get those?? Anyone working for set design?

Oh my, Beezer do tell. Our little Merry, taking the king's english and putting a twist to it? Wty pictures hoards of running parents and children, hands clapped over their ears, wondering why they ever tuned into QVC, now exiting the show area. This was not one of the cult leader's better moments. Does this scenario sound incredibly familiar? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Beezer
Apr. 2, 2001, 05:48 PM
Pssst ... meant to post this Friday but never got it done ... Merry's birthday was Saturday (March 31st). So maybe Hammie was just jealous of the presents she got?? And maybe he tried to tear her head ... uh, her TIARA ... off on Sunday as an April's Fool joke?

Yeah, yeah, that's it!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

elizabeth
Apr. 2, 2001, 06:36 PM
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birth-day dear MERRY, Happy Birthday to you!

The Hamburger horse MUST have been jealous, hence his incidents of bad behavior. But I am glad most of your show was perfect!! SCAN US SOME PICTURES.

Now, as to your profaning in public, my dad is convinced that "SH!&" and "I don't give a rat's a$&" are legal phrases. He says I say them often enough that they must be. Next time you are speaking to Hammie in legalese, remember that it is indeed legalese!

Now, AAJumper, what are iceplants??

SuaveReno
Apr. 2, 2001, 07:09 PM
Weeble: I too, am saddened to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you.

A belated Happy Birthday to Merry> Congratulations on a successful show (except the 2nd part LOL!) with Hammie. Definitely, scan pics /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You guessed it Chef I am with the trainer you rode with. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I'll keep you posted /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AAJumper
Apr. 2, 2001, 07:38 PM
Weeble, I'm so sorry to hear about your mare. I had to put my first mare down, and I cried for weeks.

I'm just certain that I have some form of dwarfism in my arms. I'm forever being reminded to shorten my reins. So Merry, what do you think the difference is in these people's philosophies with short reins versus longish reins? My trainer's ex is big on super short reins (well, they feel super short to me), but I'm wondering if that is more of a jumper thing versus and eq. thing. But all of his instructions come from the viewpoint of what is most effective. He also tells my trainer to shorten her reins as well. But I wonder why people have such different viewpoints on how short is too short??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Elizabeth, iceplant comes in several varieties, but is used as a groundcover. This time of year, they produce really really bright pretty flowers in either purple, yellow, orange or red. The iceplant leaves are somewhat thick and round. I'm sure you've seen it around, but just didn't recognize what it is. There's a lot of it at the beach! That type that you find at the beach often has big thick fingerlike "leaves". Anyway, I bought a flat of iceplant, and there are around 50 tiny plants...each has to have a hole dug for it! Aaahhh! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chef, I'll see ya Sunday! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

SuaveReno
Apr. 2, 2001, 08:16 PM
My new HI arrive and your article on Barn Personalities was just a hoot /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif You must have been hanging around the ole Alma Mater huh? I loved the illustrations too

Could we have a followup on Trainers we most often see /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AA Jumper: Speaking of reins, I am always amazed by Richard Spooner. With reins like that..how does he get it to work /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif It seems like my reins end up like that unintentionally /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wtywmn4
Apr. 3, 2001, 05:41 AM
Happy Birthday dear Merry, happy birthday to you......The Hamster still loves you, happy birthday to you. Bet you never even invited him to your party! No wonder he was so unhappy. So, how old are we?

A/A isn't there a play " The Ice Plant Cometh"? Sorry, /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif just had to do that. They do however take over eveything! Lovely suculents, great flowers drought resistant beauties.

elizabeth, love legalese. All these years we were speaking in an educated forked tongue and didn't know it? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Merry
Apr. 3, 2001, 10:15 AM
You don't know what iceplant is? Sheesh, first you didn't know about koi!

Okay, iceplant is a fairly exotic plant, grown only from imported Icelandic seed. It is sown into native California sandy soil and it protects the hillsides from erosion. The name "iceplant" comes from having to soak the seeds overnight in ice water in order to stimulate them to germinate when put in the ground.

MO
Apr. 3, 2001, 10:56 AM
But really, you had me in stitches, rolling on the floor. What is it with big horses and little ponies or minis? My horse does the same thing!! He thinks a mini or a small pony is a great big, huge, intimidating monster or something. Head goes straight in the air, nostriles flair, spinns around, snorts and cares about the one on his back... NOT! Too funny! Glad you rode through it though.

Oh, and Bumpkin,
Ditto on the short arm subject. Rode CR Legatto (once) way back when, before Peter had him. That horse has the longest neck of any horse I ever saw, rode, met, whatever. It was something trying to get him packaged together!! What a hoot that must have been to see. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

SuaveReno
Apr. 3, 2001, 02:04 PM
Just saw a pic of Melissa Cardenas, shall i post it???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Merry
Apr. 3, 2001, 02:19 PM
Oh, is that the same photo I saw, of Melissa Cardenas and Kimmie Mc Donald riding double on Fleet Apple? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Glad you liked the Horse Illustrated article. I love writing the fun stuff (who'd think, huh?). Unfortunately, I am not talented enough to do the artwork. In fact, I have yet to see the finished product. I agree, a similar article on different "trainer types" would be hysterical! There'd be the slave driver, the social butterfly, etc. I shall put "dibs" on that idea right now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thank you for all the belated birthday wishes. I shall reveal that I am now 46. I cannot accept that chronological age, though. In my mind, I am still 25!

Merry
Apr. 3, 2001, 02:35 PM
Item #1:I did not get even a PIECE of birthday cake, let alone an entire chicky-pippy cake from QHSM! No peeps, no coconut frosting, no granulated sugar congealing on my teeth. What's up with that?

Item #2: My own sister, BEEZER, has yet to give me my birthday present! Twice now she's been out to the ranch without bearing a gift, with the excuse of "Oh, I left it on the dining room table." Uh-huh.

Beezer
Apr. 3, 2001, 02:40 PM
You know, you TRY to do something nice by soliciting birthday greetings and felicitations for your "special" sister from her cyberfriends, and WHAT does she do? Stabs you in the back. Methinks she is beginning to take after Rocky the crazed labrador. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Somehow, I just KNEW she would bring up my forgetfulness. But all can rest assured: said presentS (emphasis on the plural) are wrapped and stashed in the vehicle, so they will be delivered on the next trip to the farm. Sheesh.

SuaveReno
Apr. 3, 2001, 02:54 PM
Yeah Merry you hit the nail on the head. We have the:
Social Butterfly
Slave Driver
The Absent-Minded Professor (hmmm. I came out to the ring for something...??)
The Neurotic
The Paranoid (OMG They're all out to get me
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif )
The Politically Correct
The Politically Incorrect
The A Show Barn Wanna Be

Gosh! the list could go on and on...Sorry I'm still working on some anger management here.

Hey Beezer: How about a cyber cake for Merry??

Beezer
Apr. 3, 2001, 02:54 PM
Did you notice what's happened to Merry?? She's been demoted! She's lost her crown!! As in, she's just a "member" now, NOT the February Posting Queen. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif We cannot allow this injustice to stand! Start jangling those curb bracelets. Start flooding Erin with our chant: We want our queen back!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Chef Jade
Apr. 3, 2001, 04:46 PM
The Chemist!

Merry
Apr. 3, 2001, 04:48 PM
Oh, I may no longer be a queen, but I'll always be a princess! That's how I've been described, you know, by more than one person: That I look like a "princess on horseback." /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Or was it that I behave like a princess on horseback? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I may have to reconsider my self-image.

Although recently, having finally found myself mounted on a lovely moving, fancy hunter able to place highly in the hacks, I find myself morphing into that roachy-shouldered, ahead of the vertical, "let me just creep along in this half-seat lest my under saddle horse explodes" sort of perched seat. Very un-princesslike. Augh! Me thinks I shant win many more equitation classes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Merry
Apr. 3, 2001, 05:10 PM
By the way, thanks for the ideas! I've already pitched the idea for next year, and am taking notes for "Un-Trained Personalities"!

wtywmn4
Apr. 3, 2001, 05:17 PM
Suave, you have me rolling with the various trainer types. Personal fav is "the chemist" thank you chef! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Poor Merry, no cake...How sad her own sister forgetting her birthday. Oh sure Beezer, now the car is packed with gifts. Curbs jingling, chants in full swing. Well, we will work on a cybercake for you. And as our B-day gift, we will inundate Erin with emails. "We want our Queen back!!!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Merry
Apr. 3, 2001, 07:04 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thank you, "JustaLurker" for the card! I could feel all the curb chains jangling in unison as I opened the dancing "cool" chicks card from Blue Mountain. That really made my day!

Huh. Notice that I still have yet to get a card from my own sister! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Beezer
Apr. 3, 2001, 07:13 PM
Hey! I'm busy here! I don't have time to send you a card. I'm waging a war -- with Wty's help, and thank you for that -- to have your tiara restored to its rightful place ... on top of that bald spot Hammie snatched out of your hair. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Merry
Apr. 3, 2001, 07:18 PM
Oh please, let the Canadians crown their Queen Heidi. They worked so hard to keep their measly little "Canter" thread going (rather humorous that it disappeared, eh?). Let The Snow Queen bask in her fleeting glory. Instead, we can be like the rebellious riff raff of olden times, grumbling beneath the surface of our existence until just the right moment when we pounce upon the walls of the castle! They can't guillotine all of us!

Like the California surf, we shall rise again! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

weeble
Apr. 3, 2001, 07:22 PM
I knew we had some sort of connection and there it is...this year will be 46 for me too, however, I too, have not aged beyond the 20's. (and if I'm lucky I never will, even if some of those '70's fashions might cause others to laugh and point come my fabulous 80's!)

But I digress...Merry is the once and future queen, we all know that. I don't recall hard facts pushing Heidi to the title, she just moved in and grabbed the tiara demanding ladies in waiting.

You know what they say, Heidi..."if wishes were horses..."

B.G.M. heidi
Apr. 3, 2001, 07:26 PM
How deluded you remain; your innocent convictions remind me of the utterings of dear Prince Sumo Toddler:

"Like the California surf, we shall rise again!"

Perhaps - but you'll be dredging with you the detritus of makind and industry. But then again, I imagine chickens will also grow lips on that fateful day.

Embrace your new queen all! There's enough room in my triumphant heart to embrace even my sunscorched minions.

AAJumper
Apr. 3, 2001, 09:42 PM
Happy Birthday Merry!!!!

LOL Chef...I have heard people say of trainers "oh, yeah, so and so is quite the chemist." Do you still have your horse over here near me, or was that a short term arrangement...or do you have two horses? I'm confused! /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I don't know why it didn't dawn on me earlier, but the covered arena with the jumping arena that got swept away was the place where Tulie is, right? 6 years ago my old trainer's big rig horse trailer was swept down that very same river and ended up at the bridge at Kanan. It started out at Pegasus Creek!!! That was one of those crazy El Nino years.

Well, I have nothing interesting to report, other than the little iceplants are adjusting to their new homes quite nicely. I get to ride tomorrow...but the forecast calls for rain! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

wtywmn4
Apr. 4, 2001, 04:58 AM
Okay people, our leader is under fire here. elizabeth crawl out from under that desk. Rusty, start your blenders. A/A enough with the ice plants already, this is war!! The spring thaw has hit north of the border, they're coming out of their hibernating homes. Curbs jingling...We are ready heidikins, and if you don't believe us, just read who won the Oscar!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Bumpkin
Apr. 4, 2001, 07:43 AM
I changed barns last night.
I am moving Dear Elliot across the street this weekend to a new barn and trainer.
Mallory and Poncho are staying at the olde stable.
There are no hard feelings and everyone is happy.
I get to ride with more adults with more ring time, and Mallory is staying at the predominately kids barn with a wonderful trainer whom we adore.
Linz is a Gem.
I have to say I am kind of nervous, but excited. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

rusty
Apr. 4, 2001, 07:54 AM
What flavor do you want now, chicky peeps , for the easter season? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chef Jade
Apr. 4, 2001, 08:53 AM
As we, too are moving barns.

Thanks to all the curb-chain jingling my trainer got the new barn. Its another 20 minutes further from my house bt when are already driving an hour and a half, whats 20 minutes? And when you have been with the same trainer for 15 years, 20 minutes isn't going to make me change now. So no more bragging about the covered arena.

To clear the confusion AAJumper, I do have 2 horses. "Princess" Jade is with my trainer up at Tulie's barn, and Grace is a project horse that I bought and am training. I keep her at El Toro Stables in Irvine - close to where I live. It's like having bi-coastal boyfriends...you can get your fix no matter what end of LA County your on! LOL! And before I bought Grace, I hacked horses for SuaveReno's trainer at the Orange County Fairgrounds...lets just say it isn't fun to be around Chef when she has ridden less than 3 times a week.

Merry
Apr. 4, 2001, 08:53 AM
Well, rusty, since I didn't get my chicky-pippy BIRTHDAY CAKE (but I did get a cyber chicky-pippy card!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif , I'll take a yellow peeps drink. But hold the alcohol. Somehow I envision it making the marshmallow curdle. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

AAJumper, it shall not rain! Shame on you for even mentioning that possibility! It may drizzle, it may sprinkle, it may be "heavy marine layer", but it shall NOT rain! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

However, I must admit all you Malibu Canyon folks with your creeks and crevices that close and open up at the whims of Nature do amuse me. What? You say someone's horse trailer was washed down stream? Kind of conjures up a bizarre, equestrian version of Huck Finn! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Coreene
Apr. 4, 2001, 09:32 AM
The weatherman on KNX just rudely said it might rain tomorrow and that it would start up again on Saturday - maybe through next Tuesday! It's like, hel-LO, don't they think we've had enough!!

Beezer
Apr. 4, 2001, 10:48 AM
That Beezer opted OUT of last weekend's jumper show with the great spotted beastie because she wanted to return to a ring with a rail THIS weekend. So now what do those blankety-blank weather people go and do?? Call for rain this weekend!! GRRRRRRR ... /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Which will put Beezer and the lovely Spot precisely back on a collison course (so to speak! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ) with the NEXT Galway Downs show and its fenceless jumper ring. Yet again Beezer will be faced with the prospects of a tour of the Temecula wine country on horseback. There can be no wimping THIS time. Must get to a show!

Beezer thinks she knows what's happened to Elizabeth. She said on the Oscar thread that she had to move all her computers and wasn't sure she'd remember how to plug all the plugs back in. It appears she was right. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

wtywmn4
Apr. 4, 2001, 11:26 AM
Purple chicky peeps for wty, rusty. And here's to us all!!! Bottoms up! Oh Beezer, you know how wrong those people are. Even tho we can't sue their little behinds off for messing up the weather. So keep positive thoughts, you and the wonderous Pinto WB will go forth. Hmmmmmm, wty smiles, those purple chicky peeps margaritas are good. The alcohol doesn't curdle the marshmallow, actually adds a little to it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Canter
Apr. 4, 2001, 01:31 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SuaveReno
Apr. 4, 2001, 02:31 PM
Definitely hold the alcohol on that one /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chef: You and i might be neighbors I live in Irvine too /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If I change barns again, maybe we could carpool /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MO
Apr. 4, 2001, 03:06 PM
Please /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

She is still a mystery! Funny that some of you are speaking of leaving your trainers. I have not spoken to Melissa in quite a few months, so I guess you can say "I left my trainer too." She came out to my place in January to check out my colt (who is by her stallion, who was supposed to be IJF nominated). That's the last time I talked to her. Mr. Mo and I are still quite upset with the "stunts" she pulled on us. That's life, ain't it grand?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I don't mean to sound negative, but I just don't know what to do.

SuaveReno
Apr. 4, 2001, 03:38 PM
Hey Mo:
I'll post it when I get home. She's riding a horse called High Barbaree and I thought it said that she was trained by Gene Lewis. There were several pics of her through different issues. I'll look them up again.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Do you think I should post a picture that we could all guess who??? AKA Yester-years Mystery Rider??

Bumpkin
Apr. 4, 2001, 03:57 PM
is the same horse that I spotted in that olde HORSES magazine and reported back on the dead CA thread.
I keep thinking there were other horses that she rode, but haven't seen others.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Beezer
Apr. 4, 2001, 04:22 PM
I have just one thing to say: A margarita is too good for those sticky, yucky, chicken-shaped things. And if Merry succeeds in guilting QHSM into making one of those cakes.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I won't be responsible for my actions!!

Merry
Apr. 4, 2001, 07:34 PM
But wait, I'm saving boxes of chicky peeps right now to store them for our summer barbecue! No, not to grill them, but to make my own chicky-pippy cake! Everyone will have a slice, right? RIGHT??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

MO
Apr. 4, 2001, 07:59 PM
I'll place my order! I like the traditional yellow though!

Melissa..Ah melissa is the "Dead thread alive again?" Merry do we dare? As I posted before I shall again, to my knowledge, she rode High Barbaree, Buenos Aires, and a horse (a biggie) she called "Lumpy". She claimed she qualified for the World Cup (more than once) but never made it because her horses were always sold before then. Hummmmm?? And yes, Gene Lewis was her trainer as well as Jimmy Khron (sp?) and Jimmy Williams and she say's Otis Brown Jr. (Brownie) is a good friend of hers. Mr. Mo found Gene Lewis's present address and phone # for her. She called him and said he would come out for a clinic. Never happened, never heard another word about it.

JustALurker, does this sound like the Melissa you remember?

Isn't this fun?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SuaveReno
Apr. 4, 2001, 08:35 PM
It didn't scan as well as I hoped for but here you go.....

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SuaveReno
Apr. 4, 2001, 08:38 PM
Ok for all of you who want to take a CA Clique step back in time, this pic is an easy one /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Here you go. A Tiarra for the one who correctly identifies her /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ok the first one is a gimme...... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif But wait until you see the 2nd! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Apr. 4, 2001, 08:56 PM
Ahh, Julie Smith and Periwinkle!

She looks almost totally the same, only with "blond" hair (like I should talk, although I switched to a much browner shade, ha-ha!).

This is fun, Suave! Give us some more! But try not to include the NAMES with the photo title! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bumpkin
Apr. 4, 2001, 09:30 PM
I have that issue haha.
There is is photo in the back of them walking away and she has on knee socks without her boots.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Poncho has that same bridle. Passier. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SuaveReno
Apr. 4, 2001, 09:56 PM
Can you guess? (No More dead giveaways)

a. The Show
b. The Rider
c. The Horse

As Suave yawns. Time to be ramblin' off to bed for tomorrow it's lesson #2 with the new barn /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

wtywmn4
Apr. 5, 2001, 05:17 AM
Ohh Suave, this is fun!! Can't see her face too well tho...Wty, scratching her head. Love the horse, he is AWESOME!!

Wty is now into muttering once again. Barbequed chicky peeps? Ewwwwwwww....sounds more like those Smores we used to make.

Okay here's a question. Is Gene Lewis still alive? Thought I heard he was in Idaho or Utah last. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

MO
Apr. 5, 2001, 06:29 AM
Thank you for posting those great photo's!

Yes, Gene is still alive! As I stated a few posts ago, Mr. Mo found him, via web search. Melissa contacted him, but that's a far it went. Idaho I believe is where he is now. If you need to contact him I can get his info for you, just e-mail me.

Bumpkin
Apr. 5, 2001, 07:31 AM
Robin Serfass and Sin a Men? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

rusty
Apr. 5, 2001, 08:13 AM
I am having a senior moment, so I have know clue who is in the picture.

SuaveReno
Apr. 5, 2001, 09:30 AM
You got it!!! The show i believe was Del Mar.

I'll post another one tonight!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dublin
Apr. 5, 2001, 09:42 AM
I just got a big batch of old HORSES magazines that I am going through, and can tell I need to do some scanning to keep up with SuaveReno, and to also help keep all the clique members on their toes, trivia-wise..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bumpkin, you are a star!! Maybe Princess Beezer will loan you her tiara in recognition of your achievement....perhaps the 'Trivia Queen for a Day award'??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by dublin on Apr. 05, 2001 at 12:49 PM.]

Beezer
Apr. 5, 2001, 11:18 AM
Alas, Princess Beezer (I LIKE the sound of that!!) doesn't have a tiara. Merry's glommed onto hers and she's not about to let go. Beezer does, however, have access to Merry's scepter; Merry sometimes lets Beezer schlep her scepter at shows (ha! alliteration! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif ) Will that work as the trivia prize??

Memo to Merry: Beezer is not, she repeats NOT, going to re-set the jumps in the former Koi pond YET again, only to have you pile them all up in the center just so you can practice lead changes/figure eights/airs above the ground/ WHATEVER on Hammie, Duke of 'Tude. Beezer was NOT amused last night when she arrived to jump Katey's Critter for her and discovered that, once again, there were NO jumps. Alas, QHSM got the brunt of Beezer's wrath. It was not pretty ... QHSM had some lame excuse about your lungeing horses. But Beezer knows the truth! She could clearly see the ruts in the arena from Hammie's schooling session. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

dublin
Apr. 5, 2001, 11:29 AM
I think that would be perfectly acceptable, Princess Show Scepter Schlepper!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

wtywmn4
Apr. 5, 2001, 11:38 AM
Maybe Merry could carry that in lieu of a crop?????????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Alas poor Beezer, being relegated to jump master. Could not the fair Katy been the jump crew d'jour? That is very unkind of yea sibling to do that.

OMG, I forgot Robin had blonde hair, she's sooo brunette now, or frosted sometimes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Bumpkin
Apr. 5, 2001, 03:08 PM
I honestly just went with the first gut thought I had on that one.
haha /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
I recognized the horse, and knew that Robin Serfass rode Sin a Men. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JustaLurker
Apr. 5, 2001, 03:33 PM
MO asks:
JustALurker, does this sound like the Melissa you remember?

Gosh, I really think that she, as well as anyone in the free lance training and catch riding horse business for over 30 years, has a few (maybe many) skeletons in their closet. Perhaps she's a little "strange" but she did a really nice job of riding the jumpers and training juniors and amateurs.

It sure looks as if she worked you over in the breeding barn and I certainly can't condone that. It's pretty dishonest, in my opinion. Do I suspect that she may be scrabbling pretty hard to make a living? Not that that justifies what she did, but maybe she saw dollar signs in you.

I did say that I'd ask some questions (and take good notes) when I get a few minutes to talk to my old trainer who knew her reasonably well. She's off at a show this week so I won't see her until a week from Saturday. But, she is a fountain of knowledge /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and will tell me all. I don't own horses any more but am in constant contact with her.

However, some of it may be juicy and hearsay so I'll e-mail you with whatever I find out.

AAJumper
Apr. 5, 2001, 07:00 PM
Chef, you are going to be driving 1 hour, 50 minutes one way? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Wow...and I sometimes complain about driving 20-25 minutes to my barn! So, you aren't by any chance moving barns to somewhere in Ventura County, are you (hmmmmm...no indoor you say...that eliminates 2 places I can think of!)? Maybe Cypress and Jade will be neighbors! She's in Moorpark. I'm sure I've visited whatever barn you are moving to...I used to be with a "gypsy" trainer, and it seemed that we were forever looking for new barns to move to. As a result, I've probably visited or boarded at virtually every barn within a 20 mile radius of my house!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SuaveReno
Apr. 5, 2001, 07:44 PM
Any Guesses? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AAJumper
Apr. 5, 2001, 08:49 PM
Sorry, no guesses here...that was taken the year I was born! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

equitationlane
Apr. 5, 2001, 08:56 PM
The sainted Fleet Apple? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Merry
Apr. 5, 2001, 09:08 PM
Okay, you guys beat me to Robin Serfass. I'll take this one:

Could be Fleet Apple because of the breast collar, but hmmm, Regis, because it looks like a man, and I think I recognize those cordovan field boots, I'll say River Train and Kenny *sigh* Nordstrom. And that's my final answer!

SuaveReno
Apr. 5, 2001, 11:19 PM
Rexford is correct. It is the sainted Fleet apple with DiAnne Mitchell in the irons /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AA Jumper! OMG! You just gave me a reality check AAhhhh!!! I am old as dirt and after my lesson today, I do not have game (or should I say leg!). I am starting from the basics all over again /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ahh you youngsters...I remember when it cost 3 dollars to braid the mane and 5 dollars for a tail. Horse show entries were $5. except medal classes were $10. and Indio was a week!!!!

Excuse me, I need to go take my teeth out.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

wtywmn4
Apr. 6, 2001, 05:06 AM
Oh put your teeth back in Suave, you're NOT that old. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif It's those cordovan field boots, they just let us know we've been thru way toooooo many changes.

SuaveReno
Apr. 6, 2001, 08:04 AM
I'm up and running in Glendale. I've got my work cut out for me. NO irons for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Bumpkin
Apr. 6, 2001, 08:10 AM
Hey I am possibly the same age as Suavereno and I don't have the false teeth, yet, but I do have those boots, and I am going to wear them this year!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SuaveReno
Apr. 6, 2001, 08:28 AM
My mom was cleaning out the garage and found my brown cordovan leather field boots. A little cracked but no worse for wear... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I think I will resurrect the brick color breeches! YeeHaw /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bumpkin
Apr. 6, 2001, 08:35 AM
I am still reluctant on the breeches.
My mother wouldn't buy me the rust, I had to stick with the tan/canary ones.
So rust breeches, as daring as they are to me now, /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif aren't an olde friend to return to.
But the brown field boots are way cool!! haha /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chef Jade
Apr. 6, 2001, 08:52 AM
AA Jumper, I can sympathize...My trainer just keeps getting further and further away /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
She started out in Palos Verdes Where I grew up and we met. Then moved to Bell Canyon (but I was living at school then so it wasn't that far. Then we went to Malibu (1 block from the beach, it was heaven despite the postage stamp sized ring.) then to Malibu Valley - heaven again except for the ring that remained locked for 2 weeks after a sprinkle of rain. Then to Southland, and now we are going to Hidden Valley Ranch. I shouldn't complain, I hear Hidden Valley Ranch is amazing...we are taking over the barn that the Gondas had their horses in. Maybe Jade can soak up some of Doubletakes greatness...training by osmosis???? I'll try anything with her at this point!

See you Sunday! (If it doesn't rain!)

dublin
Apr. 6, 2001, 11:51 AM
On the CA Clique Unites thread, VTRider apparently thinks the only horse show held in California is the Oaks!!! Anyone who wants to enlighten her, feel free..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

wtywmn4
Apr. 6, 2001, 12:26 PM
Uh oh, sounds to me like VTrider has been indulging in moonshine. Or is she stuck up in them thar hills? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Coreene
Apr. 6, 2001, 12:40 PM
Well, I love the brick breeches and have always thought brown boots were da bomb. Why can't everyone just do a Buck The System Day and all come out in brick and brown???

Loving it, loving it. And that show bow mentioned on another thread would make you go airborne like Sister Bertrille on The Flying Nun.