PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice?

LoveLongManes
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:06 PM
So I'm trying to figure out what I should do career wise. I have been involved in the horse industry up until this point (I'm in my late 20s now) but I've decided that it is not something I can continue for the rest of my life. I love it, but I don't think I want to spend my life "just getting by".

So the big question is how do I decide what to do now? How have most of you decided on a career path? I would love to hear your advice/experiences!

DieBlaueReiterin
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:27 PM
i got into teaching because i taught riding lessons, and liked it. while i absolutely love my job, i sadly cannot recommend this career path to anyone. the money/hours are terrible, the competition is fierce and back stabbing, and you're constantly blamed (by everyone!) for things out of your control. i don't regret it and know i am making a difference (i work in the inner city at a turnaround school) but it really takes a certain kind of person to do. unless you find yourself truly drawn to it, i would say choose something else. :(

LLDM
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
What other interests do you have? What things do you like best about horses/the horse industry? How much school to you complete? What things did you like in school? Is going back to school an option?

Around here, the job market seems to be opening up a little bit. One of the common ways to get into a "real" job is through a temp agency. That way the employer and the employee get to try each other out before they commit, which saves everyone a lot of time and effort.

SCFarm

LoveLongManes
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:57 PM
I completed high school and an online equine studies certificate from a reputable university. In high school I LOVED english, journalism and law classes. I enjoy writing and have even done some professionally. I have taught beginner riding lessons, which I enjoy to a point. Lol I know that I would not want to become a school teacher that's for sure!

I definitely wouldn't mind going back to school and am fortunate enough that it is possible for me right now. Some days I have thought about going into psychology, other days I think it would be a dream to get my BSc then attempt to get accepted into vet school! Recently I was considering taking a vet technician program (much less time in school and less $$$ than vet school but would be still be working with animals).

There are so many options and I just find I all overwhelming! I have been on the job hunt (for a job beyond stall mucking) for 6 months and have gotten 2 job interviews and no job in that time. (And that includes everything from retail to fast food jobs.) :(

sketcher
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
If you have the opportunity to get a bachelors degree in anything without taking on debt it will open up options for you. Go major in something you enjoy. Take the pre reqs for graduate school "just in case". Enjoy yourself and the opportunity.

LLDM
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:37 PM
If you like writing and your law classes, consider getting a Paralegal Certificate. There is great projected job growth in that right now, and a wide variety of practice areas to choose from. You might also be able to work part time (and make decent money) while working on your BS. Some community colleges offer an Associates Degree in Paralegal, which would give you college credit towards your BS or BA.

Just a thought...

SCFarm

LLDM
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:39 PM
PS - You'll never make very much as a vet tech - small animal or equine. And it's a hard job. And they're under appreciated. Plus it's difficult to afford a horse for the pay you make. Paralegals can make pretty good money.

SCFarm

MMacallister
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't go the vet tech route, they go to school less but also only make slightly above minimum wage.

If you like writing and can stand some boring stuff the world is always looking for technical writers

Bearbie
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:37 PM
You sound just like me a few years ago! I worked as a professional for an A circuit hunter/jumper barn from the age of 19 to 25. I traveled constantly, worked realllllly long days, and just barely made enough money to get by. That plus early onset of arthritis in my knees and back made me decide to pack it in.
I spent several months trying to figure out what to do with my life, and decided to go back to school. The first quarter I took a mix of classes to try and pinpoint what it was I wanted to study. I'm now almost finished with an accounting degree, and plan to go to grad school and eventually take the cpa exam. Is it the most exciting degree in the world? No. But there are tons of job opportunities in this field so I'm sure I can find something that is enjoyable to me. I'm truly looking forward to having job security, a nice paycheck, and health insurance! Best of all I will be making enough money to keep my horses as my hobby.
Definitely go get a bachelors degree, especially if you have the financial means to do so without ending up way in debt. It will certainly pay off in the long run and hopefully along the way you will find a career that you love. Good luck!

twotrudoc
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:57 PM
I dinked around in the restaurant business for years. I made enough to support riding, hanging out with friends and rent.

Now, I'm 40, and a few years ago switched careers. I work as a supervisor in customer service and make good money. The better my team does, the more I make. We have a great bonus structure! Also, I can make quite a bit of money taking calls if I so choose (they pay sups a per call amount and I am super fast), easily $1600+ monthly net for about 15 or 20 hours on top of my regular 40 each week.

But! I am thinking about going back to school for a job that makes that kind of money or more without working 60-70 hours a week. I am looking into Economics as I am good at forecasting and meeting weekly, monthly and annual fiscal goals. If I can stay with my company and get that sort of position so be it. I am not married to it though and will jump ship at a great offer.

I am also *thinking* about buying smaller inexpensive homes, one in the next year to start and see about rentals. We'll see what actually happens though.
Oh yes, I still earn quite a bit braiding in the summer show season but that is more of a hobby.

LoveLongManes
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone! I will have to find out more about technical writing and paralegals and see if either of those would be a good fit for me.

I would have to go into debt to be a Bachelor's degree but I am not tied down like a lot of people are a my age, so that's a good thing. Plus, having a university within easy driving distance means I could save some money by being able to stay where I am!

I understand what people are saying about being a vet tech. It's too bad the pay is so low. :-(