PDA

View Full Version : 1940 census online

Slewdledo
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
Have you found any of your relatives or ancestors?

I'm bummed because the 1930 census is searchable by name, and I found my grandparents on that. But 1940 isn't yet, and neither of my grandparents in 1940 lived in the same house as they had in 1930. :(

TheHorseProblem
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yes!!! I found my mom when she was 17 and her parents and I think three brothers that were still at home. This was before Pearl Harbor, obviously, after which they all enlisted and were off to fight in the Pacific.

I haven't found my dad's side, though. They are a bit harder to find since they moved around Oklahoma quite a bit.

I also want to look up my house. It was built in 1923 so I'm curious who the neighbors were at the time.

ohrebecca
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:38 PM
My mom and I found her grandparents/mother/aunt/uncles! They grew up in a house my grandfather built, and we knew the street but had forgotten the house number. Took a couple of tries, but we found it. Very cool.

Louise
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:36 PM
That's very interesting. I just spent a couple of hours going through all of the 1940 census records for my town and couldn't find my Father's family. I knew exactly where they lived, it's where I still live. They had everything else around our part of the road, but it looks like they skipped an entire section. Oops! That's why I went through the record for the entire town, all 140+ pages. I wanted to make sure it wasn't stuck on to the tail end of something else.

Oh well, it was still fun. I was checking names as well as streets and I found a lot of very familiar ones. A lot of the names were of kids I grew up with, of course. Some of the families were a big surprise. I hadn't realized just how many of them, in how many different houses, there were.

Cammie
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:56 PM
I just spent a couple of hours going through all of the 1940 census records for my town and couldn't find my Father's family. I knew exactly where they lived, it's where I still live. They had everything else around our part of the road, but it looks like they skipped an entire section. Oops!

Same here. You aren't in Poughkeepsie, are you? ;) I know the road, can see it on the enumeration district map, yet cannot find my father and his parents. They lived on that road from the mid 1930's to the early 1950's, so I know the location is right. I went through all 68 pages of that district twice, and then went through the neighboring district as well, but no luck.

I'm hoping that once all of the names are entered they will show up, but not a chance of finding them right now.

MsM
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:58 PM
I found my grandfather. Anybody know how to trace further back (his parents)? Only thing the census says is that they were born in CT.

hastyreply
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:20 PM
I found my dh's parents and grandparents (& 1 set of great grandparents). No luck finding my momand her patens. I know the house but it seems to have been skipped ( maybe no one home). Or maybe they were like me and don't like giving the government personal info. I only give minimal info on the census when I fill it out.

I have wondered if in 1940 they went back to get the homes who weren't home the first time the census takers came by. I don't know where those would be if they did.

My dad wasn't in this country yet in 1940.

Indy
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:44 PM
I haven't found anyone yet, just because it seems as though all of my family members moved sometime between 1930 and 1940 so I can't find them by township or whatever yet. I can't wait for it to be searchable for all states. Ancestry.com has a few states searchable now but of course none where anyone I'm related to was from.

Puglet
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:27 PM
I found my grandfather. Anybody know how to trace further back (his parents)? Only thing the census says is that they were born in CT.

I'm no genealogical expert, but I do work for FamilySearch :)

I order to work backwards, you need to analyze what you already know about him. Also, asking family members can give you great clues. Someone may already know their names. Do you know where and when he died? If so, you can look for a death record which often list parents. Do you (or a family member) have a copy of his obituary? obits often list family members. They also can list birth place and date. Oh, now that I think about it, the census likely gives you a rough birth date. It will for sure have the year, and may have the month (I haven't actually looked to see what info is on the 1940 census sheet). Connecticut has great records, so you are probably in luck there. feel free to send me a pm and I can direct you to more specific resources.

FamilySearch and partners are working on providing the indexes for free. If anyone wants to help index, you can go to https://the1940census.com/getting-started/ for more information!

bumknees
Apr. 9, 2012, 06:37 AM

Ask your family that is still around. Ask for names, birth dates any thing they may know or suspect they might know.

Ask if by chance they happen to have birth certs., death certs, anything that might have names, birth dates, locations, names are important esp for hte females maden names.

Sometimes family stories have a hint of truth in them. Like in my family my uncle was absoultly sure that all females were ellegable for membership in what he called "The Grand Colonial Dames" I had never heard about this ''club'' I was lucky to have heard about DAR, And the Mayflower society... But as I had access to a computer and he gave me a few more names than I had before. I had 6 maybe 7 if you count my grandparents. I took those extra names and ran with it. That was over 28k names ago and 10yrs. and that is just on my mothers mothers side of hte family. And yeah I am ellegable for membership into the colonial dames... yippy. :sigh:

I found that census records are the most difficult to try to start with. BUT my family were either demented OR had warped sense of hummor or both. What else would explane 5 cousins being born with in 5 yrs of each other having the same first name and of course last name and the census records do not list middle initial. And these cousins all served in hte civili war in hte same company in the same unit... It got down to it sorting out which one was the one I was looking for down to the middle initial other wise my grt grt grandfather had 4 wives died in 5 locations, over a span of 10yrs, hving a total of 15 kids... Oh yeah and have of course those 5 sets of parents.. So yeah I would not recomend census records as a starting place...

MsM
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:29 AM
I was looking into that side of the family because we know so little about them. Mom and her brother are both gone. Nobody else alive that I know of that would know anything.

I have an approximate DOB and the census lists his parents as being born in Connecticut. Unfortunately, he died, I think in Florida, in a traffic accident. No details because he and my grandmother wee (Horrors! Shame!) divorced. She would never speak of him. Can't get much on grandmother either as her parents were born in Austria/Hungary (area that has belonged to each).

bumknees
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:40 AM
I know this will sound silly but just ty googling his name like " John doe ft myers fla ' and se what pops up.

Do you haeve your mom's information? Or can you get it?
That will have his birth date on it.
and the location assuming your mother was not born before 1905 which is generally the time in which most states began doing birth certs.

Some states now ( or I should say Ohio will) get you birth cerrts from other states for a price. Death certs I dont know but it might be worth a shot.
Also if you know the aprox date of death.. go to family search . org I think it is org it might be com.. this is the morman site.. They have death certs, some birth certs depending on if the state has released them... And other intresting information.

Also you can try find a grave . com sometimes it will have information someties it will not.

PM me when OT day is over and I will help the best I can I am no pro at this I just kinda follow my nose if I happen ot stumble onto something...

Lol my grandmother not only wa a devocee but a hussy she had an afaire with a ''well known and wealthy gentelman'' in the county.. people still talk about that scandle.. yeah not a lot to talk about where I live..
That happened 50+yrs ago...

SarahandSam
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:10 AM
I looked up my house to find out more about who lived here... I had names from the title, but no info about them. In 1940 my house was occupied by a recent widow and her 20-year-old daughter, who both worked as sales-ladies at one of the downtown department stores, and two lodgers, a 53-year-old woman (no occupation listed) and a 23-year-old woman who was a proofreader at a printing press. Four women, two closets and one bathroom!

It was also fun to see who lived on my street in general... this whole area is the Irish district of Buffalo, bordering Kaisertown and the Polish area, and the whole street is a mass of O'Shaughnessys and McGradys and so on, with an occasional German or Polish name thrown in. The couple next door were straight off the boat from Ireland. It also made me realize, when I went back to the title to look at the info on the mother/daughter who were living here in 1940, that my house is a little older than I thought... I thought it was from 1915, but that's when it was sold for the first time by the first owners, so it must be older. I'm going to have to throw it a 100th birthday party!

Puglet
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:35 AM
I was looking into that side of the family because we know so little about them. Mom and her brother are both gone. Nobody else alive that I know of that would know anything.

I have an approximate DOB and the census lists his parents as being born in Connecticut. Unfortunately, he died, I think in Florida, in a traffic accident. No details because he and my grandmother wee (Horrors! Shame!) divorced. She would never speak of him. Can't get much on grandmother either as her parents were born in Austria/Hungary (area that has belonged to each).

You can find out more about what is available online for Florida death records here: http://www.deathindexes.com/florida/index.html

Depending on when he died, you may also want to check the Social Security Death Index. It will list his place of residence when he died, which will help you locate a death certificate: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ssdi/search_ssdi.asp