PDA

View Full Version : Frank Madden Clinic-What to expect!

jumper.jump
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hello Everyone,
So I am attending a Frank Madden Clinic in 2 weeks and I was just wondering what are something to expect and what should I work on in these 2 weeks? I will be doing the 3'-3'3" group!
Thank you!:D

blackcat95
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:13 AM
Expect a LOT of flatwork... I went to a clinic of his a year ago and we did a *ton* of no stirrup work and dressage type stuff. Apparently he also likes people to wear spurs (my trainer made me wear baby spurs even though my horse didn't need them). We did a lot of bending exercises and work to have the horse be responsive to both leg and hand aids. I did a write up of it, I'll see if I can dig it up...

JBCool
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:18 AM
Ditto on the spurs and take a stick: he wants you to have both even if you never use them. Then just follow orders and enjoy! I loved the two I've been to.

worth_the_wait08
Apr. 9, 2012, 05:49 PM
I ditto the other two responses. Wear spurs, carry a stick, and be ready to do LOTS of flatwork. He's pretty laid back as clinicians go, but he'll keep you on your toes!

worth_the_wait08
Apr. 9, 2012, 05:51 PM
He likes you to know your horse too- quirks, things they do well, etc. not a problem for most people, but if you're riding an unfamiliar horse, make sure to know that.

Know what tack you're using too!

jumper.jump
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone! What type of flatwork should I be expecting?(:

blackcat95
Apr. 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262158&highlight=frank+madden+clinic

That ^ is the clinic write-up I did of the one I went to last year... It's pretty complete, and should give you a good idea of what went on.

BAC
Apr. 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
He came to our barn a few years ago and Lucassb rode in the clinic and wrote up a report, search her postings for it. Everyone enjoyed him, it was a 2-day clinic so there was time for both flatwork and jumping.