PDA

View Full Version : Importing a colt?

xemilyx805
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know any reputable breeders overseas? I've been looking into importing a nice colt, but I really don't know any breeders over there.

I can't pay to fly over to Europe and I don't really know anyone who does very well, so I need a really reputable farm. I was really skeptical at first because I would need to trust a farm from just over the internet and the phone, but I've been told by friends who have gone that way that the reputable farms are completely trust worthy. A friend who bought from Benny DeRuiter Stables apparently got a horse that could not jump the height they said it would, so they actually paid to have it shipped back.

I would really like a colt under 2 years old. That's the cheapest to ship and does not need to be quarantined for CEM. Benny Deruiter doesn't have any young horses right now, but I really need a good word before I consider buying from a farm.

Any advice about this? Anyone know any reputable breeders?

Dana
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:42 PM
Check your PMs.

nycjumper
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:43 PM
Where are you looking? What are you looking for? Have you considered looking in South America? If you import from Argentina, quarantine is a week regardless of it being stallion, mare or gelding and shipping is about the same cost as from Europe.

Neigh-Neigh
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:45 PM
Plenty of pretty horses right here, honey.

*Liz*
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:51 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but if you can not afford to fly to Europe to look for yourself... how do you expect to buy it, vet it, import it, quarantine it, ship it, board it, etc. etc.? Flying yourself to Europe should be the least of your monetary concerns.

ETA:
What is your total budget for this endeavor? Have you broken down your costs? If you can not find a space in your total budget for about 2500$ for your own personal plane ticket and hotel, what will you do if the horse comes up with an injury or illness? What if the colt turns out to be a rank S.O.B. and needs some serious professional training for 30-90 days? etc.

I realize you're young, but if you are seriously contemplating importing a colt from abroad, you need to know what you're getting yourself into.

roamingnome
Apr. 9, 2012, 04:10 PM
I see you're in the Mass/RI/CT area, and there are plenty of nice horses in that area, even a bunch of nice young ones. Just because the colt comes from Europe doesn't mean it will be better.
The way you wrote your post seems that you are just trying to find the cheapest way to do this (nothing wrong with that at all- just saying) which makes me believe money is tight, as it is for most these days. Why don't you spend the money you would save on the flight/drugs/vet inspections/stabling at airport (before it leaves) and put it towards a slightly older horse in the states?
Remember, if you get a 2yo, you're going to just be paying to feed and board it for a year, which in that neck of the woods where I've paid anywhere from 10k-30k for the year.
I'd look local first.

2tempe
Apr. 9, 2012, 05:50 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of "buy in the USA" Go to the breeding section and post something that discusses what you might be looking for. Bet you get a bunch of PMs!! Look on Warmbloods-for-Sale; lots of young 'uns for sale and you can probably get references and enough other info to satisfy you.

skydy
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:56 PM
See thread by OP on Sporthorse Breeders forum..

ako
Apr. 10, 2012, 12:34 AM
If you need to buy European, I don't think it will be cheap and I would recommend a visit.

I can recommend VDL in Holland and Schockemoehle in Germany.

ideayoda
Apr. 10, 2012, 05:53 AM
You are incorrect about what age to ship under, it is under 6 months I believe (for filly and colt).

There are many young horse sales (look at the oldenburg spring sale), buy from an auction, or look at the buyers and go to their websites. But imho that is three or more years before riding. Buy adult, know what you are getting.

kmwines01
Apr. 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
Are you looking for a specific breed?

Also, will this colt remain intact and do you plan to ride/use it as a stallion? Do you have any experience in that realm of horse handling? If there are no plans to keep him intact add the vet fees to castrate him to your budget. And if are going to keep him intact add that to your list of training needs and goals. Because if he doesn't have a good personality it will add more work to the training.

Also wanted to add that there is also risk of injury coming from overseas (as well as cross country in a van). Just read an article about Alla czar who was suspected of breaking his pelvis on the trip over or shortly after.

And no matter what the bloodlines are you could get a dud. 2-3 years of work, training, feed, tack etc before you'll even know if it can jump. Personally that's a big risk if you don't have a ton of money to waste.

baylady7
Apr. 10, 2012, 12:02 PM
http://www.priess-stutteri.com/?DK.aspx
Friends have done well with horses from these guys

lachevaline
Apr. 10, 2012, 12:38 PM
OP, maybe read this thread about importing (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343883&highlight=importing). Seems like a whole thing to me.

futurewin
Apr. 10, 2012, 03:06 PM
My friend who is in Holland has young horses! These are jumpers and he may have what your looking for in finding a nice young horse! Please send me a PM and if you are serious!

Thanks,

Kristin

AmmyByNature
Apr. 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
It looks like you're getting a lot of information over on your thread on the breeding forum:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348805

and looking at your other threads about begging to make it in the equitation world and getting your pony qualified for pony finals, and all you and your mother do with the stable she runs, it honestly seems like you might do better looking for something more local.

Bringing over a 6 month old colt from overseas is going to be a huge ordeal and expense, and you're not even sure what you're going to end up getting when it grows up.

Is your mom on board with your plan?

lachevaline
Apr. 10, 2012, 05:51 PM
and looking at your other threads about begging to make it in the equitation world and getting your pony qualified for pony finals, and all you and your mother do with the stable she runs, it honestly seems like you might do better looking for something more local.

I KNEW OP was familiar...

Curious.GEORGE1976
Apr. 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
IMHO:
WHY would you want to import a "colt"?!? Looking at this www site http://www.quarterturns.org/home.html (you have your email address connected to @quarterturns.org...) it seems you have enough horses/ponies to work and ride.
There are so many kids (and adults) that would LOVE to be in your position!
You sound ungrateful to what you were blessed with. Take a step back, and see what you have--and think TWICE before posting your QUESTIONS/INQUIRIES on COTH.

PS: isn't it you in the last video (towards bottom of the page)?

lachevaline
Apr. 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
IMHO:
WHY would you want to import a "colt"?!? Looking at this www site http://www.quarterturns.org/home.html (you have your email address connected to @quarterturns.org...) it seems you have enough horses/ponies to work and ride.
There are so many kids (and adults) that would LOVE to be in your position!
You sound ungrateful to what you were blessed with. Take a step back, and see what you have--and think TWICE before posting your QUESTIONS/INQUIRIES on COTH.

PS: isn't it you in the last video (towards bottom of the page)?

It says that person's name is "Gina."

(And OOH LOOK, my pony kicks when I do! I won't be impressed until they recreate the mirror scene from Duck Soup.)

gottagrey
Apr. 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
I don't mean to be insulting but if you cannot afford to fly over to Europe how are you going to afford to fly the colt over? I don't think the shipping fees are necessarily any less for a youngster vs a 4 y/o and you're looking at about $7500 just to fly it to US plus additional quarantine & shipping fees. If it's intact colt quarantine is going to be longer

GingerJumper
Apr. 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
Ya'll, the OP has been long gone from this thread by now. Plus the SHB forum set her straight. :lol: