PDA

View Full Version : bruised tail bones

2LeftHooves
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:13 PM
I came off my trainer's lovely lesson horse about two weeks and landed hard on my tail bone. Though I was shortly back in the tack, its since become apparent that if I want to be able to enjoy my rides I need to stay off for awhile. Doc has warned me that it can take bruised tail bones months to stop hurting which doesn't work for me at all! I was just putting my two mounts back into work :(

Any recommendations on fun groundwork/lounging exercises?

mare: slightly unfit (has had limited work since October due to school) lounges okay, but doesn't quite "get" cantering on the lounge line (something we've been working on) very smart, loves regular attention/work but very sensitive.

gelding 1: VERY unfit, EXTREMELY fat hony (been out of regular work for over a year due to his busy owner and my limited barn time, has had a handful of rides since September) so fat my saddle isn't fitting right. Very smart, likes to work, and a very pushy pocket pony personality. Lounges nicely.

Claudius
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
I have done this..even broken my coxis (sp) and I found that a real sheepskin seat saver....I had mine made specially for me at a saddle shop with really thick pile that stood up several inches from the skin , makes it doable to ride....staying in the two point more than usual helps too!!

sp56
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
A week and a half ago I fractured the transverse processes of my L3, L2, and L1 and I'm going NUTS not being able to ride. (I actually did ride a couple days ago and today and I'm definitely feeling the discomfort). :(

I've been putting my junior rider on mine and having her work them over cavalettis and such. Our ring just dried out from the rain, so I'll probably start lunging more over poles. I'm a fan of properly placed side reins as well. Getting them really broke to your voice commands is important. For strengthening, make the circle smaller, then bigger, then smaller, etc so they learn to sit on their haunches. Might be a good time to also introduce things that are a bit scary (tarps, etc) in a very non-confrontational way.

Sorry you're grounded. I'm sure almost all of us have been at some point and can commiserate!

fatappy
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:39 PM
I did this about 5 months ago. And it took about 6 weeks to get back to normal.

I didn't ride for about a week. Got on after that and I rode even though it hurt. Worked a lot on my half seat. Riding wasn't pleasant, but it was possible and since my greenie was going well it was worth it to me to ride through it and just do as much as I could do and everyday got better.

It might not take as long as you think to get better! Good luck! Feel better!

RoseBud143
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:21 PM
Ughhh I did this when my greenie OTTB saw dead people, actually a cone, at the very end if his ride... I already have a bad back but was 4 days in bed, and like the above poster, 6 weeks before I could nice normally. Thogh Im now going to the chiropractor 3 days a week....

With my guy, u worked on ground manners and de spooking just by exposure and lots on big circle lounging over poles and in side reins.

I also had someone ride home that I trust 1-2 times a week which really helped, and it doesn't hurt that she LOVES him :)

Good luck and feel better... Def. Not fun

GrantanaKC
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:36 PM
A week and a half ago I fractured the transverse processes of my L3, L2, and L1 and I'm going NUTS not being able to ride. (I actually did ride a couple days ago and today and I'm definitely feeling

I did exactly this a while ago on one of mine, it was torture! I have also bruised the tail bone, both are horrible bc you can't ride OR rest! Basically, you can stand! Ibuprofen is your BFF, and wait until you are more than sure you are ready to get back in the saddle, otherwise it will take much much longer!

sp56
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:34 AM
I did exactly this a while ago on one of mine, it was torture! I have also bruised the tail bone, both are horrible bc you can't ride OR rest! Basically, you can stand! Ibuprofen is your BFF, and wait until you are more than sure you are ready to get back in the saddle, otherwise it will take much much longer!

I'm surprised I don't have stomach ulcers yet from the ibuprofen...

2LeftHooves
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the replies! Keep the ideas coming! I'll look into a seat saver but I don't think its quite right for me. Just sitting down onto a cushioned chair too hard has me yelping and hobbling for awhile. My mare prefers when I sit deep and until I get some weight off the gelding I have to ride bareback so I think for now my guys are no go. I have a horse show this weekend on a friend's horse that we've both been looking forward to for ages. Maybe if I take ibuprofen before during and after I can survive? I really hope that 6 weeks will be the max for me! Jingling we heal up fast and are back in the saddle soon.

sp56
Apr. 9, 2012, 03:32 PM
I showed at a medal final with a recently bruised tailbone. We pinned, but it was not comfortable and was slightly more difficult because I couldn't use my seat! It can be done...

AmmyByNature
Apr. 9, 2012, 03:48 PM
FYI I bruised my tailbone in 2007 and it still hurts a bit as I sit here at my desk and type this reply.

I didn't ride for a few weeks and then did a lot of two pointing and half seating, which still hurt like hell but was at least manageable.

AdrenalineJunky
Apr. 10, 2012, 04:33 AM
I cracked my tailbone one summer after being jumped right out of the saddle. I spent a month or so lying on my stomach watching tv and then once I was able to function like a real person again I rode with a sheepskin butt-cushion for quite awhile and I think I stayed in two point for awhile as well. I also have lingering pain down there as other posters have mentioned so I would definitely suggest taking it easy on your bottom. I had some other students of my coach ride my horses during the time that I couldn't, I mostly just brushed them and supervised.

2LeftHooves
Apr. 10, 2012, 08:18 AM
I'm heading up to the farm in a few minutes. I'm going to search for my surcingle. If I find it I'll lounge both in side reins, if not just the mare. I will not get on today. Going to wait to ride until Sunday's show. Depending on how that goes a few more weeks of lounging. Which will only help them anyway.

CVPeg
Apr. 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
Bucked off twice this winter.

Examined issues, and decided B needs ground work so that he'll listen. Have been doing conservative ground work now for a couple of months. BO (whose judgment I don't always trust - why I'm at the barn every day! :eek:) implored that I use a P-type trainer she's used in the past. I finally decided to observe her, and she is a very good horsewoman with some great ideas for engaging your horse - what I'm looking for. She's coming this week, so I'll respond with what I've picked up that looks valuable.

After my two flights ;), I did not see the doctor immediately, but was very conservative sitting mostly across the couch (with lots of nice soft pillows to place you just so! - several $10 pillows from Walmart or Target have been my friends this winter!), or lay on my side in bed when not hobbling around. Luckily have recovered so that it's not necessary to visit the Dr. Both times landed on my back side, and flung on to my back. First was in the indoor. Second was outside on a dirt road. Both times afterwards I could ride ok (just limited W/T work for now anyway) better than I could walk. Within a week after the 1st, I was almost back to normal, with some residual bruising. Had to go to a planning board meeting, and after sitting in one of those little metal chairs for 2 hours, it set me back again for a week.

The road made the second landing much worse, but I was still able to walk. Almost improved enough being conservative as above, after 2 weeks. Then a trip to the ER with my elderly mother, and again I was on a hard, straight chair for about 3 hours. At neither time did those chairs hurt while sitting. But the next day, I was in agony. I could only walk for about 30 paces before I had to start dragging my leg to get around & it was very painful. It was Off Topic Day here ;) and everyone was suggesting I go to the Dr, that it could be a disc. I gave it a few more days of being very careful, and one morning I woke up and was fine. Phew!

My recommendations: 1) Avoid straight or folding chairs!, 2) avoid lifting anything with any heft - my saddle was about the most I could handle, and 3) just take it really easy. Don't overdo.

Good luck. Literally can feel your pain! :(

Celeritas
Apr. 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
I broke my tail bone in 2 places after being bucked off just over 2 years ago. I was completely out of the saddle for about 4 weeks. After I couldn't stand it any more I did really light riding for another 2-3 weeks before I felt more back to normal (it was a lot easier to canter in half seat than doing trot work). Truth be told, tacking up was much more difficult than riding! All the bending and reaching really hurt, but being in the saddle wasn't too bad. You definitely won't be able to sit deeply, but I found that I did fine with just riding in 2 point and 3 point, sinking down onto my pubic bones rather than solidly onto my seat.

Advil/Motrin definitely help. And don't be ashamed at toting around that silly donut pillow, it really helps!! I put mine in a pillow case I took off a throw pillow so it didn't look as embarrassing. If you're going to the horse show, bring your pillow, and also bring a yoga mat so you can chill out on your stomach for a while if you need to. I lost all sense of dignity while I was recovering, but if it helps, eff it! Take your time and don't push yourself too hard. After 2 years I still get achy sometimes, particularly when driving for long stretches. You don't realize how much you use your tail bone until it's broken!!

Cavalo
Apr. 10, 2012, 01:03 PM
I bruised my tailbone just over a month ago. I found Advil didn't do much to help, but Robax Platinum worked wonders!

searching12321
Apr. 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
Did mine at 16. Couldn't sit without pain Did it the week before finals. Not fun at all. Stayed off the horse for about a month. Did a lot of two point after I started riding again. Eventually it healed and I was fine. Had a bit of a scare prior to delivering my child when the ob asked if I had ever broken my tailbone. She said she hoped it healed turned out and not displaced inward. She said If that happened it would probably be rebroken during delivery. Thank God it was ok and it didn't cause problems again. It was a rough month after I broke it. Hurt to sit hurt to sleep hurt to run etc etc. that was all I needed with a new born.

2LeftHooves
Apr. 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
My fall was in the outdoor. The saintly Mr S decided the blue vertical needed to be jumped early and HUUGE. I felt it coming and stayed out his way but somewhere along the path forgot to keep on leg. He landed was like uhhh what do you want?
When I didn't answer he stopped and lowered his head. I went plop. And managed to smack my arse with my crop as I went. Bending/standing is my biggest problem. Carrying things seems to be fine especially if it is handed to me. I'm much better than when it happened two (three on Sunday) weeks ago. Next day couldn't walk, went to school Tuesday, but as a result couldn't on Wednesday. If I sit down too fast/hard I whimper but for the most part okish. I did go up to the farm today. Lounged em both (Ms Mare cantered beautifully to the left but right was another story, Gelding thought just his halter + lounge = playtime) and though sorely tempted didn't get on. Managed to get thru the rest of the day and though I'm very very very tired I'm not all that sore. Depending on how I feel I'm going back up tomorrow.

vxf111
Apr. 10, 2012, 10:37 PM
Been there, done that. A bruised tailbone hurts more than a fractured most anything else imho. I actually found sitting in a chair (even on a doughnut) excrutiating. But riding in 2 point I had absolutely zero pain at all. I just rode in 2 point for 3-4 weeks and didn't do anything risky. Sympathy, it HURTS!

RedHorses
Apr. 11, 2012, 01:00 PM
I injured mine coming off a youngster eleven weeks ago. I found sitting on soft stuff was far more painful than flat hard stuff (because I could roll onto my seatbones). I didn't get back on for weeks, then eventually was okay to perch in two point. I think it was nine weeks before I got back on that youngster.

I still can't lounge on a couch or sit for long in a soft chair, or even sit normally in a harder chair - I have to sit forward. I was fine in my car fairly quickly, but I drove someone else's that was incredibly painful.

I did some longeing with my horse, but his training is solid he just needed exercise. I allowed a student to ride him in 2-3 lessons, and I did some long lining because I wanted to do something more interesting than just exercising him. The youngster got longed, and then in hand we worked a bit on laterals at the walk. He's quite responsive to leg yielding now, but doesn't understand why I want him to walk sideways :lol: