PDA

View Full Version : Kimberwicke in hunters and eq's?

entourage4us
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
I am showing on my own this year at a few B and possibly A rated shows. My quesion is can I use a Kimberwicke in the Hunter and the Eq's without being penilized? I have searched my local show rules and USEF but I can find nothing specific to the Kimberwicke. What do you all think?

AmmyByNature
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:03 PM
You *can* use it, as in it's not illegal. But you shouldn't. Can you handle the two reins on a pelham? I'd try that.

Kimberwickes are not appropriate at a rated show.

poltroon
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:07 PM
Right. You can, but you shouldn't. The only possible exception would be a very young child on a pony.

Try a very short shanked pelham instead, and try skinny reins if you have trouble fitting it all in your hand.

Indy
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:56 PM
It's not against the rules technically but it's not a bit that you will see in good company at a rated show. Head towards a nice short shanked pelham, try that out to see if it works for you.

mroades
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:08 PM
It will look very out of place.

fourmares
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:30 AM
In the hunters some judges will deem it unconventional and not use you. In the equitation they may assume that you are unable to handle 4 reins, but that your horse lacks the obedience to go in a snaffle.

copper1
Apr. 9, 2012, 07:02 AM
Kimberwickes are not illeagal but considered "unconventional" and a judge may choose to penalize. i was at a show one time where the judge noticed someone warming up in a kimberwick and she called the rider over and told her she would penalize if sheshowed in that bit.

WendellsGirl
Apr. 9, 2012, 07:57 AM
I will put them on the ponies for tiny riders at open shows, but never at hunter shows. In my area, I see more of them at open shows with crossover horses doing western and english - then I don't feel out of place using them if needed, as you'll see more of them on other horses.

spina
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:24 AM
penilized?

is that like being raped? or a woman being forced to get a sex change operation?

and try to use a pelham, it should give you as much control as the kimberwicke but with more versatility. (If you'd like more tility for your versa).

entourage4us
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:15 AM
Sorry about the typo!!! Was that totally necessary???
Thanks for all the opinions. I will try the pelham route. I appreciate your help :)

MintHillFarm
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:43 AM
I agree 110%!

They are considered unconvential tack; and personally I do not like them and will make a note on my card...so no Kimberwicks in the hunter or equitation ring.

There are a lot of other choices out there.

I'd use a short shank pelham if you can...

jumpoff87
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty sure Athena wears a kimberwicke...

AmmyByNature
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Athena wears a kimberwicke...

You can do the jumpers in anything you want. The question was about the hunters and the eq.

Ravencrest_Camp
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:25 PM
I agree 110%!

They are considered unconvential tack; and personally I do not like them and will make a note on my card...so no Kimberwicks in the hunter or equitation ring.

There are a lot of other choices out there.

I'd use a short shank pelham if you can...

I am curious, as a number of posters have made comments in a similar vain.

If a kimberwick is not against the rules, how can a judge mark it down on their card or mark someone down for using it?

What is the point of having rules if the judge can chose to disregard them?

that_grey
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:30 PM

If a kimberwick is not against the rules, how can a judge mark it down on their card or mark someone down for using it?

Curious about this also...

AmmyByNature
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:32 PM

The rules state that a competitor may be penalized at the judges discretion for "unconventional tack." That leave it up to the judge to determine two things: "is it unconventional," and, "if so, how much do I care."

Hunters is subjective, and this is one of the ways in which it is so.

Almost NOTHING is actually illegal in the H/J ring, although there is a lot of stuff that wouldn't ever be seen in the ring. Boots and wraps in hunter classes, and martingales in flat classes are two of the *actually* illegal things that spring to mind. (Also, various martingale restrictions in jumper classes.)

searching12321
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:32 PM

Hunters and eq are subjective disciplines. The judge can decide to use you or not on their own opinion without having to justify their reasons.

Now things that are illegal like pools or boots in a hunter round do deem an automatic deduction or disqualification but the rest is the judges OPINION on a given day.

Some judges hate kimberwicks and won't use a horse wearing it ever. I would not want to pay for the judges opinion and showin expenses in any unconventional tack. Blend in and hope for the best;)

wcporter
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:41 PM
Is the rationale behind why people don't like Kimberwicks because of the constant curb action if you put the reins on the lower slot and the fact that it acts more like a regular snaffle if the reins are worn on the top slot?

Or is it something else that I'm missing? Additionally, does anyone ever ride a kimberwick with two reins?

Just curious...

CaitlinandTheBay
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:42 PM
Just curious:

Pelham with a converter or kimberwicke? Which would be more appropriate?

AmmyByNature
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:44 PM
Just curious:

Neither is great, but I'd rather see a converter than a kimberwicke.

But a properly used pelham is the best. 7 year old kids on small ponies can handle 4 reins. There's no reason anyone should have to use a converter.

MintHillFarm
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:11 PM
Neither is great, but I'd rather see a converter than a kimberwicke.

But a properly used pelham is the best. 7 year old kids on small ponies can handle 4 reins. There's no reason anyone should have to use a converter.

Yes, I would rather see a bit converter, but agree a pelham with 2 reins is much better...a bit converter in the hunters and eq is still considered unconventional tack.

As for my reasoning behind the dislike of a Kimberwicke:
I think that is harsh...It's based on leverage and often in the hands of a rider that may not realize how strong it is. So if the horse looks unhappy, that will be noted on my card...

Sometimes its use produces a horse that is behind the vertical. I just believe with so many bit choices out there, that there are much better options. And putting the rein in a another slot still makes it a harsh bit as it is fixed.

That being said, if there is a horse wearing a Kimberwicke and it produces the winning hunter trip, it will still have to be the winner...

eclipse
Apr. 9, 2012, 03:45 PM
Just curious:

In Canada, the Rated Childrens Hunter Division, Equitation, Medals and then any other classes/divisions where you are considered an adult (at recognized shows), you cannot use a pelham with a convertor (except in jumper divisions/classes).

poltroon
Apr. 9, 2012, 05:48 PM
The reason people don't like kimberwickes is because it's like riding in a curb bit but without all of the clarity (since the rein can slide around). A plain curb is not going to be legal either.