PDA

View Full Version : Biggest family you know?

Come Shine
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:07 PM
Spin-off of how to handle more than 2 kids.

My sister has 10 kids. Oldest is 16. Youngest just turned 2. She and her husband have been married 17 years.

What is the biggest family you know?

Megaladon
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:20 PM
My great grandfather came from a family of 17 children, course, that was back in the day of no birth control LOL!

JohnDeere
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:27 PM
A family friends mother came from a family of 10. All girls.

Biggest in my family is my grandfathers at 6 living children. One twin? died after birth.

WindyIsles
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:29 PM
Mom is one of 13. (We've given up on ever having everyone together for a wedding/communion/or staging a family reunion). Half are in the States, then it's split evenly between Ireland and England.

I think at last count I have close to 60 cousins from her side.

Dad was one of 7.

nhwr
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:32 PM
I grew up in a family of 10 kids. My parents have 36 grandchildren.

One of my sisters in law has 13 brothers and sisters (her dad was married twice).

glfprncs
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
I had a student that I taught several years ago, and he was the youngest of 9 other siblings. Wasn't a mixed family with step or half siblings...pretty rare today.

yaya
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:57 PM
My best friend in high school is the youngest of 10 kids. Very different from me as the eldest of 4.

Tapperjockey
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:02 PM
(giving number that lived to adulthood).

My paternal grandma is one of 15, paternal grandpa one of 17. They had 7.

Maternal grandma is one of 12. Paternal grandpa is one of 4 (his mom died in childbirth and his dad didn't remarry). They had 5.

I am one of 5.

there are over 20 cousins to me on either side. There are 15 in the next generation so far. after that, I can't count any more.

pony4me
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:10 PM
The brother of a friend of mine had six children. Then they got pregnant again. With triplets. That made nine children.

One kid is plenty for me. More than enough at times, actually.

abrant
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:19 PM
My dad is from a small farming town in Western Iowa. There was a family who, one year, had a child in every grade from Kindergarten to 12th. Yes, 13 consecutive children.

The mother is still alive and is in the same care center as my Grandmother. You can't help but be in awe of her! My dad commented on remembering being in school with her kids and she just smiled proudly.

Emryss
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:02 PM
Some neighbors of mine have 15 children - 14 girls, 1 boy. One girl did die in infancy from SIDS, though. It was terribly sad.

We have two. My husband and I figure that once you are forced to go to zone defense, you've lost the game...

MAD
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:02 PM
My sister has 10 kids. Oldest is 16. Youngest just turned 2.

I grew up in a family of 10 kids; 8 boys and 2 girls. Same age spread as your sister's family.

Come Shine
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:03 PM
I grew up in a family of 10 kids; 8 boys and 2 girls. Same age spread as your sister's family.

My sister has 8 boys and 2 girls, too!

Tapperjockey
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:14 PM
Current largest family I know , had to think.. i know a lot of large families lol.. is 14. 12 girls w/ bookend boys. I think they are 5-26 ish? (I don't know the exact ages). And unlike many large families, they are not religious at all, and the mom (who is 47) and dad both were college educated, had careers and planned all of them. They just like kids a lot. One of the funnest families I've ever been around.

saddleup
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:52 PM
My dad's from a family of 10 children.

I had a friend in college who was from a family of 17 children, same mother and father, no multiple births. Yikes!

rustbreeches
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:31 PM
My dad is one of 11 that survived infancy.

Rambler
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:41 PM
I have a friend who has 17 brothers and sisters. She is 35 and was the youngest. Her family doesn't believe in birth control..obviously!

Gnalli
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:54 PM
Dh's grandfather is in the middle of 21. 12 are from wife #2 and 9 from #1...MIL is oldest of 7, mother of 3 living, a set of twins that died, and I am the youngest of what would have been 8. My mother lost 5 to late term miscarriages and still births, all boys. Every fathers day we get together and go camping. There are 72 of us. All but 7 camp together that weekend. These are all the kids and grandkids (and now greats) of dh's grandfather. 5 generations. My grandbaby, age 2 is the only great great. Today for Easter, there were probably 45 of us.

Foxtrot's
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:15 PM
My husband is one of ten - well nine, actually ,because one baby died.
After a while a critical mass is produces where the oldest children become old enough to take over some of mum's chores. Compared to kids who only have one, or no siblings, these older kids give up a lot of their childhood, but gain
in having a large active family. Most of his brothers and sisters do not see it that way since they did not have name brand runners and all the material things kids have these days.

Jay-N-Jete'
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:45 PM
SO's mom is one of 17 and his father is one of 8 - makes for a large Easter gathering! With farming families - more hands make light work!!

My maternal grandfather was one of 8 surviving and was the last, and only, boy!
My maternal grandmother was one of 7.

My paternal grandfather was one of 9 and paternal grandmother was one of 8.