PDA

View Full Version : Lush Cosmetics

DarkStarrx
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:01 PM
Anyone else use these delicious products? I've been wanting Lush for ages, but was afraid to buy online without smelling things. We finally got a store in my area, and I have replaced my entire shower and beauty routine with Lush products. Even my toothpaste. I have never been happier. Almost all of the products are Vegan too, as well as promoting free trade, green practices, and local villages.

I've now become and expert Lushie and I love to spread the joy these products have brought me!

Some people are out off by the price, but as a poor student, I can say if you use it right it will save you money. Any other Lushies?

GotGait
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:26 PM
Yes, I love them! One of their moisturizers is the only thing I can use on my face. I have tried so many sensitive skin moisturizers and all of them burn my skin or make my face break out, but theirs is fantastic.
My husband brought me LUSH products back from a trip to Berlin, before they had stores in the U.S., and I never use anything else. I can't live without Buffy! :D

DarkStarrx
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:33 PM
I LOVE my Buffy Bar, I use it to shave with my legs are soo nice after. I use Skin Drink as my mouisteriser and is it so wonderful for my dry skin. Ugh never will I use anything else. Have you tried the face masks? I almost have 5 black pots and I'm sooo excited to get a fresh face mask pot!!

Swishy-Tails
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:52 PM
I used to use them.. but the hippie I am has turned to making my own cosmetics :D

Delyth
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:41 PM
I am still carrying a grudge for the discontinuation of Afterlife :(

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:46 PM
I like some of their products but won't buy any of the unwrapped things. I don't want people's kooties rubbed all over me, sorry. Nothing by the pound is sanitary at all.

DarkStarrx
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:51 PM
You can ask for a fresh one from the back, or order online, they come individually wrapped. Lush has amazing customer service. Delyth I have heard of the beautiful Afterlife, and have been trolling the lush forums looking for trades haha. Maybe they'll bring it back retro!

ohrebecca
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
My favorite! I switched over about 2 years ago to pretty much exclusively Lush products. My friends and family know that when in doubt of what kind of gift to buy, just get me Lush gift cards.

I worked at one for a few weeks, but it got to be too much between a full-time job and school. They require an encyclopedic knowledge of products and "stories" behind the products, but I felt like my brain ran out of room :P They do offer an excellent employee discount, though, and when a new product line or holiday line is launched, every employee gets a product box, which is AWESOME. At Xmas, you get every single holiday product that comes out.

bits619
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:44 PM
I loved my days at lush! Ohrebecca is right though, they do require an encyclopedic knowledge of the products! That was the tougher part of the job, plus the pressure to demo 5 items to each customer (maybe it was just three??). But in the busier times it was enjoyable, hopping around the store like a loony hippie with glitter all over my face (we would get the shipment boxes with the bubble bars with glitter, and take our hands and sweep the glitter onto our faces from the box). Plus, my shower experiences were beyond heavenly.

I can't really afford many of their products any more, now that life and no employee discount have gotten in the way. Poor me!! The products I love and try to have (no idea if these are still around)

Olive Branch shower gel. That scent almost brings me to happy tears. It's just perfect. Like all shower gels also a good shampoo.

Big shampoo. Oh my goodness, i have the best Mermaid hair after washing with it. Such body and waves, and nice for my scalp if I have any ouchy spots.

Mirror Mirror neck and face cream. Lightest weight, silky smooth, wonderful. Same with skins Shangri la, but aw hell naw can I afford that now!

Buffy scrub bar. Pretty much necessary for my dry legs and the arm bumpies I get in winter on the back of my upper arms. HATE those!
Shoot, there's another one-or was- like Buffy but not as heavy. It had almond shells in it too. What was it?? Those I chop into thirds and keep the unused part dry in a drawer before I need them.

Avobath bath bomb. Another scent that makes me swoon. I'm swooning just thinking about the scent now!

Running for the embassy was a nice foot scrub, i think they discontinued it though.

Each Peach massage bar is lovely, as is Therapy!! Soft Coer was fun to sell to couples and get them blushing.

The face masks were so great as well, but a pain with the kids wanting to touch them. I've forgotten what ones I liked, but we would get to bring those home often as they didn't have a long shelf life. My boyfriend at the time would mistake them for condiments at first glance (they had to be kept in the fridge). I DID manage to get the big conservative Polish man to try out one of them once though!!

Angels on bare skin is a great face wash. And ohmigod!! Tea Tree and au Roma toner sprays! Awesome any time, but BLISS during a hangover!!

Soap wise, i LOVE the fig one... Shoot, what's it called. Maybe just fig! Ah so moisturizing. And I did like demon in the dark for a fun change, and the lemon one... Blanking on the names there. Karma was hit or miss for me, i found sometimes I really liked it, sometimes it smelled too frankincense-y to me.

There was a body smoothie as well that was delightful, it had a scrub factor in it, but i think it was discontinued as well.

My mom loves dream cream and honey i washed the kids soap, and my dad is also a fan of Big shampoo.

Man now I really want to dive into my stash and smell things! I have a bunch of bath bombs and soaps that I'm definitely hoarding, no lie.

Give me a few more minutes, I'm sure to remember more!

Edit to add!! There was a foot mask in the fresh face mask line that was the most heavenly thing ever. Slather it on the feet, tie on some plastic bags over your feet to keep the mess down, and reeeeeeelax. Then, half a bottle of wine later, ever so carefully waddle and squish your way to the tub to rinse them off. Aaah.

DarkStarrx
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:14 PM
All of your Favs are still around except Mirror Mirror and Running for the Embassy. Though they now have Fair Trade Foot Therapy. You're thinking of Aqua Mirabilis the Buffy sibling with almond shells. I want that one next.

Figs and Leaves ill have to try it next, as I love the moisturizing ones like Alkmaar. In use SexyPeel too(citrusy one).

I use Dark Angels and have a generous sample of Angels on Bare Skin for my face.

Next purchase will be the Ro's Argon body Conditioner, not a fan of rose smell, but omg I had a demo with it and my skin felt like actual cream. Ugh I want.

I hoard my bombs and bubble bars. I split most of my bombs in half(except dragons egg and the like) then hoard them forever lmao. Since no one has bathes in Norway the girls in the store told me they bought an inflatable pool and put their feet and legs in them with the bubble bars and bombs.

ddashaq
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:13 PM
LOVE LUSH!!! My bathroom is full of black pots of varying sizes. Sympathy for the Skin and Angels on Bare Skin are my favorites, but I love pretty much everything in the stores.

Frizzle
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:53 PM
Yup, I am a definite Lushie! I remember walking down the street in Heidelburg and all of a sudden this amazingly fresh, fruity, herbal-y scent hit me; I followed it to the Lush store. That was my first experience with them and boy did they impress! Gave me two full-sized products as free "samples" (granted, I did buy a lot!).
For a while, my city didn't have a store so I ordered online and was never disappointed in any of the products. Thankfully, my Macy's got a full mini Lush store several years ago, so I'm set.
One of my favorite products is Dream Cream, which is technically a body lotion but I use it on my (oily) face--it makes my skin so soft and creamy while never making me break out.

GotGait
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:26 PM
All of your Favs are still around except Mirror Mirror and Running for the Embassy. Though they now have Fair Trade Foot Therapy. You're thinking of Aqua Mirabilis the Buffy sibling with almond shells. I want that one next.

Figs and Leaves ill have to try it next, as I love the moisturizing ones like Alkmaar. In use SexyPeel too(citrusy one).

I use Dark Angels and have a generous sample of Angels on Bare Skin for my face.

Next purchase will be the Ro's Argon body Conditioner, not a fan of rose smell, but omg I had a demo with it and my skin felt like actual cream. Ugh I want.

I hoard my bombs and bubble bars. I split most of my bombs in half(except dragons egg and the like) then hoard them forever lmao. Since no one has bathes in Norway the girls in the store told me they bought an inflatable pool and put their feet and legs in them with the bubble bars and bombs.

Figs and Leaves is great. I also like Snow Cake and the oddly named Honey I Washed the Kids.

The only product I didn't care for was a bath bomb my husband brought back from Berlin. It smelled lovely, but he didn't remember what it was called. I got in the tub and tossed it in, watched it fizzle, so relaxing... and then OMGglittereverywhere! It was a glitter bomb...
A bomb with a center of very fine gold glitter that stuck like glue.
It stuck to me, the tub, the towels... I took a shower to try and dislodge it. I thought I did a good job. Oh no.
It got on the dog (Bedazzled Shiba), on the sheets, my husband - who went to work looking like he'd been out clubbing all night. He couldn't say a damn thing because he was the one who picked it out.
It took a week to finally get rid of it all.
So now I very carefully check the bath bombs for glitter. :D

bits619
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:32 PM
When I worked there, i would LOVE to watch people's expressions as they smelled and saw the products in action. Even if they didn't always love a particular product, it was interesting to watch people's reactions. Everyone pretty much would walk in as if they discovered another land off the sidewalk. I felt a bit like Willy wonka.... Just slightly less creepy.

I worked at the one in Dublin, Ireland on Grafton street, and was there during the opening of the Henry street location. So. Much. Fun.

When I finally moved back to the states, almost half of my luggage was bath products. Seriously. Probably flooded the poor noses of the customs and border control dogs in the airport....

Coconut and almond smoothie was the body scrub I was thinking about. Delicious!

Aqua mirabilis, how could I forget!!

I keep peering into my tupperware containers tonight and flirting with the idea of trying out more products. But I'm such a lush hoarder. They're just too special to use up!....

*Leans over bathroom cabinet in the darkness*

"My Precious....."

bits619
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:35 PM
Ah yes, gotgait, I now stay away from the glittery bath bombs and bubble bars... Woops! I would readily tell people that there is glitter in this product or that one. I'd much rather them be happy with the product than unwittingly plastered like a disco ball!

Bedazzled shiba made me lol, btw!

ThoroughbredFancy
May. 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
I just had to find this thread because I have a sever addiction to Lush now. I've mostly just tried their solid shampoos, conditioners and some soaps.

I have found that my hair is doing much better with the Lush products. I was having issues when we moved to a place with soft water. I don't use the Lush products exclusively for soft water since their regular products I have chosen (Seanik, Karma Komba, Gentile Lentil, Veganese, American Cream) are light enough for my fine hair.

I am starting to become a hoarder but I am too poor to really get extreme with it. I will have to order some shampoo bars and conditioner soon and I may try new body soap or scrub.

I am hesitant to try their face products because my skin is difficult there.

Event4Life
May. 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ok I tried the lush jungle shampoo (I think?). It was AWFUL. It made my hair super oily and wouldn't wash out properly so it got stuck together in clumps. uuggghh.

Tried lemon body wash bar....wasn't a fan of that either.

I love the smell of the place; I am clearly using the wrong products!

In the meantime, L'Occitane all the way!!

Reynard Ridge
May. 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
and then OMGglittereverywhere! It was a glitter bomb...
A bomb with a center of very fine gold glitter that stuck like glue.
It stuck to me, the tub, the towels... I took a shower to try and dislodge it. I thought I did a good job.

Dude, we love those glitter bombs! My daughter, a precocious 7-year old turned me on to Lush. Apparently one of the kids in her class was talking about it, and since there is a store about 400 meters from my doorstep, we waltzed in one day and out with enough bath bombs to Blitzkrieg London. :uhoh:

I pretty much do the bath bombs, and haven't really explored the other options. Sounds like I'm missing some good stuff. :yes:

Bogie
May. 13, 2012, 02:06 PM
I adore the Lust perfume and the Flying Fox body wash.

Some of their facial moisturizers are okay but I find that they are heavily scented and i don't like the smell.

ddashaq
May. 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
I am hesitant to try their face products because my skin is difficult there.

I just had to comment because I have really sensitive skin whose favorite activity is breaking out. Angels On Bareskin has been a HUGE help getting it under control. I get the occasional spot but not the steady stream of breakouts I used to deal with. Also, Greased Lightning has been amazing for clearing up what spots I do get.

I would steer clear from Dark Angels- it sent my skin over the edge and i spent a month calming it back down.

DarkStarrx
May. 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
Ok I tried the lush jungle shampoo (I think?). It was AWFUL. It made my hair super oily and wouldn't wash out properly so it got stuck together in clumps. uuggghh.

Strange your jungle.did that...it is a very light conditioner and one of my favs. However I melt mine down with water, and most jungle lovers do.

ThoroughbredFancy
May. 13, 2012, 05:48 PM

Jungle is a solid condition that IMO smells like a compost pile. :lol:

I did mush mine up a bit to make it easier to use and while I (and my SO) don't like the smell my hair did feel conditioned after it was dry.

I like their liquid conditioners Veganese (really light) and American Cream (medium).

I have been impressed with their solid shampoos. Their Ice Blue soap (bar) wasn't too bad either. There are a few more I would like to try.

I just had to comment because I have really sensitive skin whose favorite activity is breaking out. Angels On Bareskin has been a HUGE help getting it under control. I get the occasional spot but not the steady stream of breakouts I used to deal with. Also, Greased Lightning has been amazing for clearing up what spots I do get.

I would steer clear from Dark Angels- it sent my skin over the edge and i spent a month calming it back down.

Good to know. I think I am running low on my Philosophy skincare goodies and maybe I will try some Lush.