PDA

View Full Version : The "Pay It Forward" COTH Book Exchange

hey101
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
A fellow COTH'er very generously shipped me 'The Hunger Games' series to read (on her dime). When I'm finished with them, I'm happy to ship them to someone else (on my dime). First person to PM me, gets them (be warned, it will be about 2 weeks from now that I'm ready to ship them :)).

I had an idea to do an ongoing COTH book exchange- someone posts books they are willing to put into circulation, people can "claim" them, and then when they are done with them, repost. Or however it ends up shaking out.

Don't forget USPS has special reduced-rate shipping for books.

So.... Hunger Games series, up for grabs. Ready.... GO!

(anyone got the new Stephen King 11/22/63 they are finished with?)

:D

IdahoRider
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:30 PM
(anyone got the new Stephen King 11/22/63 they are finished with?)

:D
Why, yes. Yes I do. P.m. me.
Sheilah

LovelyBay
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:14 PM
I have the following books that I will pass on.

Wicked
Eat, Pray, Love
High Noon by Nora Roberts (hardback)
206 Bones by Kathy Reichs (hardback)
The Secret Between Us by Barbara Delinsky (hardback)
Poisoned by Jeff Benedict (hardback)

I have more but they are already packed up for the move

Stellaspeed
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:29 PM
OK, I have 3 books I will add to the chain.
I have "From the Desert to the Derby" by Jason Levin, which is about the Maktoum's quest for a Kentucky Derby winner.
I have "SECRETARIAT" by William Nack
and a classic, "Album of Horses" by Marguerite Henry
The Marguerite Henry book should be given as a gift, so add something back into the chain !

LoveLongManes
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:40 PM
I have "From the Desert to the Derby" by Jason Levin, which is about the Maktoum's quest for a Kentucky Derby

Is that a good book? Sounds interesting!

LovelyBay
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:47 PM
OK, I have 3 books I will add to the chain.
I have "From the Desert to the Derby" by Jason Levin, which is about the Maktoum's quest for a Kentucky Derby winner.
I have "SECRETARIAT" by William Nack
and a classic, "Album of Horses" by Marguerite Henry
The Marguerite Henry book should be given as a gift, so add something back into the chain !

May I please please please have the Album of horses? I'll send you homemade goodies in return! I've been lusting after that book for a long time.

Stellaspeed
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:50 PM
"Desert to the Derby" is a good book, it starts at Keeneland during the 9-11 attack and goes to 2002 .

Stellaspeed
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:53 PM
Lovely, send me a pm with your address...it's an older library book, but in great condition for a 40 year old book !

LovelyBay
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:43 PM
Bumping this up. Anyone else want to play?

DeucesWild11
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:26 AM
I'll play. I've got the first three twilights, a financial thriller about the guy who ousted madoff, loving mr Darcy, Chelsea Chelsea bang bang, are you there vodka it's me Chelsea, shattered by dick francis, to kill a mockingbird, digital fortress by dan brown, and the Tao of pooh.

DeucesWild11
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:27 AM
Stella, I would love to claim desert to derby!!

Stellaspeed
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:01 AM
Deuces, pm me your address, I'm headed to the post office shortly !

HydroPHILE
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:20 AM
I have quite a few books. I'm sort of a book addict. Unfortunately, I can't remember most of them off the top of my head until I get home tonight, and by then I'm sure the OT section will close, but here is what I can remember:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Girl Who Played with Fire
(still working on the 3rd...first book is paperback, and the others are hardcover)

Something Borrowed

Something Blue

As Husbands Go - MIL gave me this one, and it's not my type of book.

Siddhartha

A Wrinkle in Time

Great Expectations

Misery

I know I have MANY others...

JSjumper
Apr. 9, 2012, 04:45 PM
Deuces, I'd love to read the Chelsea Handler books!!

I'll post later with the books I have to offer... at work right now, can't remember! I also have a few DVDs I wouldn't mind sending on....

DeucesWild11
Apr. 9, 2012, 06:47 PM
Pm me your addy :)

hey101
May. 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hooray!!! I was just thinking I need an Off Topic Day to post all the books I've got up for grabs (some already recycled through this thread :)).
PM me your address, and I will ship you any book (or all books) on this list at my own cost. First come first served :)

*CLAIMED*!! (but the COTH'er has promised to put them back up for grabs when she is done) The entire Hunger Games trilogy (AWESOME, could not put them down, I stayed up til 1 or 2am every night reading--> tired during day :lol:)

*CLAIMED** 11/22/63 (just finished the other day with a marathon 1am session :lol:) (much better S. King than his last one Under the Dome (also up for grabs)

The 3 books in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series

The Help (seriously excellent and VERY thought provoking)

moonriverfarm
May. 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
I'd love any good mystery or true crime books anyone has!

SeeHowSheRuns
May. 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
I have The Hunger Games that I just finished reading and will send it to whoever would like to read it next.

has been claimed!

LovelyBay
May. 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'd love any good mystery or true crime books anyone has!

I have a new Mary Higgins Clark book that I'll send your way after I get done moving this weekend if you want it.

TB7
May. 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
I have to go home and find some books to share! I know I have about 20 "Chick Lit" books from various summers under a bed at my parent's house. I even classified them at one point according to genre (intended for women in their teens, 20s, or 30-40s).

PS My mom totally had Album of Horses when she was little! She gave me the book when I was something like 12, and it still had her own drawings of horses in it (she traced some of the horses that were illustrated). I especially liked how it included the Palomino and began by saying, "The Palomino actually isn't a breed, it's a color!" Someone will really enjoy that book :)

Jo
May. 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know what I have to send out off the top of my head, but I know I have boxes upon boxes that could probably go to new homes. I'd love to read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series if anyone would like to send it my way. I could pay for shipping...

IdahoRider
May. 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
11/22/63 (just finished the other day with a marathon 1am session :lol:) (much better S. King than his last one Under the Dome (also up for grabs)

I thought you would like it! I am glad to hear that you did and very happy to see it offered again!
Sheilah

Stellaspeed
May. 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
I still have " SECRETARIAT MAKING OF A CHAMPION" by William Nack....AND, I will also send a small glass jar of sand from the Meadow Farm training track. I am embarrased to admit I took the kids and a few 5 gallon buckets when the place was sold to the State Fair of Va. , and snuck under the rail and stole sand. Kids were horrified until I took them to see the movie.

TB7
May. 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
I have Horse People to share.

Paige777
May. 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Stellaspeed, you have a PM!

I have "Equitrekking: Travel Adventures on Horseback" by Darley Newman, "A Certain Slant of Light" by Laura Whitecomb, "The Eyes of Darkness" by Dean Koontz, and "Burn Out" by Marcia Muller (takes place on a ranch, but not much horse involvement.

Bank of Dad
May. 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
I am moving and looking to downsize. I have the following horse books:

Veterninary Notes for Horse Owners (16th edition--old and 18th edition--new)

The Arabian Horse in Fact, Fantasy, and Fiction

Natural Horsemanship--Parelli (actually very good, before Linda time)

Riding with Mariles (old)

Drinkers of the Wind (old)

Mike Kevil --Starting Colts

John Lyons Symposiums Riding Manual --with DVDs

Clinton Andersons DVDs

Understanding and Training Horses--Ricci--old and a classic

Seabiscuit--Hillandbrand

Schooling a Young Horse (old)

How to Train Your Horse to Ride and Drive (old)

The Back Yard Foal

Reschooling the ThoroughBred (old)

Basic Training of the Young Horse

Stable Management Explained

How to raise a foal

Cavalcade of American Horses

Training the Young Horse--the first two years

The Art of Racing in the Rain

PM me if interested. If you want more than one or two, some help with postage would be appreciated.

Stellaspeed
May. 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
Secretariat book is spoken for !
But I will add "Horsekeeping on Small Acreage" for anyone.

TB7
May. 12, 2012, 11:08 PM
EDIT: All have been claimed below.

DVD - Training the Modern Jumper

Bright Lights, Big Ass - Jen Lancaster

Fatally Frosted - Jessica Beck (every chapter ends with a real doughnut recipe)

Polydor
May. 13, 2012, 05:37 AM
oo i like the looks of this thread! Will have to go through my books to see what I have and maybe revive the thread next off topic day.

Would people be willing to ship to Australia though ?

P.

hey101
May. 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
I thought you would like it! I am glad to hear that you did and very happy to see it offered again!
Sheilah

Enjoyed it very much, but my all time SK fav remains "The Stand", followed very closely by "It" (loved the small "It" shout-out in 11/22/63 :))

Someone else just claimed it again, so it circulates forward to another COTH'er. Ironically someone from the town next to my small hometown back East!

hey101
May. 13, 2012, 11:22 AM
I don't know what I have to send out off the top of my head, but I know I have boxes upon boxes that could probably go to new homes. I'd love to read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series if anyone would like to send it my way. I could pay for shipping...

if you still want the Stieg Larrson books, PM me your address and I'll send them to you... heading to the PO tomorrow with two other sets of books :)

Sonesta
May. 13, 2012, 11:36 AM
And just FYI for everyone before this thread closes, you can join www.paperbackswap.com and post the books you are done with there and order from the millions of books posted by others. All free - you pay for postage on the books you mail out and the one you order from pays the postage for the books you order. Works out even over time.

It's a GREAT way to get books and audiobooks!

TB7
May. 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
Bumping this again!

I now have The Hunger Games to send out.

The Art of Racing in the Rain was claimed by someone on paperbackswap but I think there's another copy floating around here.

Downside with paperbackswap is that you have to wait quite a while before someone sends you the books (if they're popular). Within a few minutes of posting my books, one was claimed and I mailed it out, but none of the books I requested have become available yet.

tikihorse2
May. 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
I have a copy of "Clockwork Angel", brand new, by Cassandra Claire, if anyone would like it. Just couldn't get into the book. Please pm me if you'd like it. :)

TBKate
May. 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
And just FYI for everyone before this thread closes, you can join www.paperbackswap.com (http://www.paperbackswap.com) and post the books you are done with there and order from the millions of books posted by others. All free - you pay for postage on the books you mail out and the one you order from pays the postage for the books you order. Works out even over time.

It's a GREAT way to get books and audiobooks!

Sonesta, thanks for the heads up! That looks great. :)

For COTHers who want first dibs, I have and would love to be rid of:

Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar series, including the Arrows of the Queen Trilogy, Magic's Pawn/Promise/Price, and Winds of Fate/Change/whatever the last one is. Also Oathbound/Oathbreakers; if you want Mercedes Lackey, PM me and I probably have it!

Desire Lines by Christina Baker Kline. Good mystery novel.

The first three Twilight books--Twilight, Eclipse, and New Moon in paperback.

Call them or they're going to be donated to the local library! PM if you want them :)

Stellaspeed
May. 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
I still have "Horsekeeping on Small Acreage", a "National Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils", several cook books, a cool kids pop up book on Sharks, and several Military History/War books.

supershorty628
May. 29, 2012, 04:45 PM
I could send out 50 Shades of Grey (someone please take it!!!)

TB7, do you still have the jumper DVD??

CVPeg
May. 29, 2012, 05:08 PM
Just curious - what's the most reasonable way to send books price wise, and do they get there relatively soon?

Probably too late for this list, but hope to get ready for next OT Day. ;)

JBCool
May. 29, 2012, 05:10 PM
Will have to go home and look around. Would love to be in on this!

Sonesta
May. 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
Most reasonable way to mail them is "Media Rate" Average media rate for a paperback is about $2.50

IdahoRider
Jul. 2, 2012, 04:28 PM
I have "The Blessings Of The Animals" by Katrina Kittle if anyone is interested.
Sheilah

Paige777
Jul. 4, 2012, 09:53 AM
Glad to see this thread resurfacing! I now have (to give away):

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris

and Picture This by Jacqueline Sheehan

IdahoRider
Jul. 4, 2012, 01:48 PM
"The Blessings Of The Animals" has found a new home!
Sheilah

Stellaspeed
Jul. 5, 2012, 12:01 PM
Still have "Horsekeeping on small Acreage", and a book called "Islamic Banking and Interest" by Abullah Saeed, a book about the Prohibition of Riba and it's contemporary Interpretation.
Also SEVERAL Military history books and cookbooks.
Cookbooks:Latin Ladles fabulous soups and stews by Douglas Rodgriguez
and many more.

TB7
Jul. 31, 2012, 10:46 AM
Bumping!

Anyone can view the books I have available over here:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/book/members_books.php?m=M2toMFh1c0wyWEU9

A lot of beach chick-lit that I don't want/couldn't get into.

CSSporthorses
Sep. 3, 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm at work right now but stumbled across this. I'm totally game and have plenty of books. How will we keep up once off topic closes? Should we PM an email list or something? We don't get off topic near enough and this could be lots of fun!

HuntJumpSC
Sep. 4, 2012, 01:53 AM
I'm in! A private list of some sort would be great! I have a TON of books~ all kinds, and when I have the chance in the next day or so, will go through with the list. We are talking 100's. Any Jody Picoult fans out there, I have quite a few of hers as well.

shojumper
Sep. 4, 2012, 08:45 AM
I would love to join also... have a few I was going to donate to the library for a sale, but if anyone wants them here, great!!! I will have to go make my list.

Bank of Dad
Sep. 4, 2012, 10:56 AM
To those people I promised books, I still plan on mailing them, just a busy summer.

Lcsd114
Sep. 5, 2012, 03:56 PM
I would love to get in on this. I also have a bunch of books that I would be willing to send forward, all kinds of fiction and some non-fiction. The one that I'm searching for right now is "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" as I devoured the first two and the library has a waiting list still.

Stellaspeed
Sep. 5, 2012, 05:54 PM
I also have a great kids cookbook called "Just 4 Kids" , a slightly puppy gnawed on copy of "The Celestine Prophecy", and the others mentioned above.