PDA

View Full Version : Choosing and learning how to apply makeup

myhorsefaith
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:47 PM
This kind of goes along with the looking put together thread...

I just got a new job, and unlike my former role, I need to put myself together a bit more than I ever have.

This has actually been the hardest part of my transition. Learning how to dress, accessorize, etc. I've been trying to make small changes one at a time, and the one I have not yet tackled is makeup.

I am scared of that stuff- as a teen I never really learned because I had little interest, and no one to learn from/with. I sort of skated by through my 20's never really needing it. And now- I feel like a clown, and at best, a 5 yr old that broke into mommy's stuff.

I need to learn how to pick this stuff from type to colors and how to use it properly and apply it well. I dont want to be overly done up- but done up lightly, respectably, and maturely with the right neutral colors that go best with my natural colors.

Resources, anyone?

DarkStarrx
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:53 PM
http://www.pixiwoo.com/ and follow their YouTube channels they are sooo amazing

http://www.tanyaburr.co.uk/ and follow both if her YouTube channels. As she does outfits of the day on her candid channel.

These will teach you everything.

LightningHorse
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:54 PM
Youtube. I love the Pixiwoo sisters and they have an entire playlist of basics:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA681761009B5F212&feature=plcp

Edit: we seem to have posted at the same time, so I'll add another, Lisa Eldridge is also really good and has a youtube channel as well

LLDM
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:24 PM
I hate make up. But now that I am back in the workforce it is a necessary evil. So I feel your pain. ;)

I have had really good luck with Bare Minerals. They can be purchased in kits like foundation, eyes and lips. The kits come with DVDs that show you how to apply it. I find the mineral make up so much easier than anything else. Once you master that (which is really pretty easy) you can modify and tone it down to what is comfortable for you. I use about half of what they recommend. My hair stylist actually complimented my make up last week and I almost fell out of the chair laughing!

As for clothes and accessories - do you have a stylish friend? It doesn't even have to be a close friend (although mine is and she knows who she is!). Folks that know how to put together wardrobes that are mix and match usually LOVE to help others shop too! They also know how to find the bargains and shop the sales. Most that it as a great compliment to be asked for help, and they should! Plus it can be great fun. :D I took my stylish friend out for a nice lunch and then we spent the afternoon in the dressing rooms. We were cracking up most of the time.

Boy, I should call her! I think we need to do it again soon!

Good luck and have some fun with it. Even the most fashion-un-conscious of us can look pretty good with a bit of help!

SCFarm

Event4Life
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:28 PM
My mom made me wear make up in my late teens for a few special occasions, but I never really voluntarily wore it until recently (within the past few years). I got my bonus from work (ranch job haha) so I went to a department store and had one of the people at the stalls do my makeup. I said I wanted it super natural and minimalist, and the woman actually listened. She also didn't try to sell me the whole stall, and I used all but one of the products she sold me. I spent a lot (good quality makeup - YSL) but it was so worth it. I've only replaced everything 3x since I bought the first set 2 1/2 years ago. I'm only just starting to use it daily - at uni I only used it when I went out, not to lectures, and I hardly used it at all in South Africa. I struggled through it the first few times I used it with the help of my ever patient flatmates, but now I've got the routine down to 5 minutes in the morning (what I told her I wanted!).

twotrudoc
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:30 PM
You don't *have* to wear makeup but if you feel better doing so then by all means.

Get a girly friend and play around. Take pics and look, then you will see what others see. Never, ever look like you are wearing a lot of makeup. Sephora is great but for the love of skin please don't plaster it on like their employees sheeesh!!!

My favorite boss never wears makeup, she is the youngest to have been promoted to her level in the shortest amount of time. One of my favorite and most competent peers wouldn't touch makeup with a ten foot pole, drives a Prius and does Roller Derby (did I mention she is about 6' tall?). It's okay to be crunchy at work ;) The ones that I have the hardest time with and never seem to get promoted usually wear loads of makeup and their boobs are hanging out. Just sayin.

Keg-A-Bacchus
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:04 PM
I am a makeup LOVER! :-). For me it's a form of art...I decorate myself to go with my mood. Sometimes very natural. Sometimes playful. Sometimes dark and smokey. Depends on the day! I'm super picky about my makeup and everyone comes to me for makeup suggestions and advice. Here are my suggestions.

BareMinerals are fantastic. If you have a store nearby you can go in and get a free makeup consult. They have eye shadows and blushes as well and they will help you pick and even give you a mini makeover in store. It's a great way to get started and play around. If you don't have one nearby any mall counter works too. Tell them the look you're going for and let them try it on you. You don't have to buy anything and it's a great way to learn what colors look good on you. I have green eyes and olive skin so deep, almost gray, plums look fantastic on me and make my eyes pop. I like using makeup counters to save money on buying something then realizing I hate it when I get it home.

2) Lash Exact is my favorite mascara. It doesn't clump, doesn't smudge or run and looks great hours into the day. A little touch up is all I need once in the day. The waterproof works well but tends to clump more.

3) Perfect Point Plus is THE BEST eyeliner ever. It's a twist-up design and it's great for several reasons. You can put it on in a very thin, almost unnoticeable line with ease. Just run it in your lash line and it will look natural and fantastic. Or, use a thicker line for more drama. The greatest thing about it is it's ability to smudge. What I do for business make up is do a thin line literally in my lashes and then take my finger and just rub to soften it. It looks just like the base of my lashes and really pops your eyes. It doesn't come off at all and stays all day. I use it to smoke my eyes really dramatically when I go out. It's so versatile and really stays on without running or smudging once you get it on!

4) use a colored chapstick or lip gloss for a natural look. I love Burts Bees lip shimmer. It gives a touch of color without looking too clownish. If i want more color I buy dozens of colors of $.99 lip liners and outline my lips and then fill them in completely with the liner, rub them together then finish with Burts Bees. Gives me tons of different looks for cheap.

5) If I go for a natural look I do the following. Bare Minerals foundation. Then a little natural blush on my cheekbones (I don't use pink blush...it's more tan colored but gives a great contour and brightens up my face). Then I sweep a light shadow on my lids. Use a thin eyelash highlighting eyeliner. The mascara. Then lip gloss. Voila! I look very natural put still put together!

Have some fun with it! I LOVE taking the time to get ready. I literally feel like an artist painting a picture when I get ready. It's therapeutic for me :-). Some days I look natural. Some days I have dark smoky eyes and fire engine red lips! Enjoy one of the perks of being a girl! :-)

ESG
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:25 PM
If you're a total newbie, I suggest consulting a professional. Any Merle Norman store will be able to help you, and their cosmetics are, while not cheap, reasonable.

As far as clothes go, go to the best department store you can ( I like Dillards and Macy's, but love JC Penney) and ask the sales clerks to help you. That is, after all, what they're there for. And most of them in Dillards are actually happy to help you.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:32 PM
Go watch EmilyNoel83's channel on youtube! I really like her a lot and she isn't a department store makeup snob like many of the youtube guru's. She's great at finding affordable options that look fantastic and does a lot of natural makeup tutorials. I second pixiwoo as well. They're great but tend to lean more toward the very expensive makeup products (since they are professional make up artists).

http://www.youtube.com/user/emilynoel83?ob=0&feature=results_main

cloudyandcallie
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:33 PM
Southern girls are born with the how to knowledge to put on makeup and choose clothing, including spring wools.

I suggest going to one of the makeup counters at a dept store and let the makeup artist show you how to apply makeup. The Bobbie Brown counter at "Needless Markup" is a good place to start. (That's Neiman Marcus.) Clothingwise, we all grew up with Glamour and Vogue and all the fashion magazines. Coordinating those shoes and purse with the outfit. I don't know what the "in" style is now.

Curb Appeal
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:36 PM
I made it to age 35 before I learned how to properly select colors and apply them. I got help from a very nice rep at a Sephora store. After she did the application, I purchased a concealer and mascara from her, then headed to the closest CVS store for some much more reasonably priced shadow.

cranky
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:33 PM
If you're going to wear foundation, I would say do yourself a favor and go to a good department store or specialty store and invest in something good quality. Get someone on the counter to help you match the right color for your skin tone and show you how to apply. I feel that you can get away with cheaper stuff for eyes and lips, but I would buy a good quality foundation (& powder) that blends with your skin well (with get help getting the right color). Nothing is worse than the wrong color foundation on your face, you end up looking like you're wearing a mask!

For eye makeup, I like to stick to basic colors, some bone, or beige, shadow on brow bone, a medium brown shadow on lids. And then I usually do a bit of dark brown liner very close to my upper lashes, and smudge a bit of darker brown shadow over the liner, (blend everything with a bigger brush) and then mascara.

ETA: My favorite makeup is Bobbi Brown.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:39 PM
If you're going to wear foundation, I would say do yourself a favor and go to a good department store or specialty store and invest in something good quality. Get someone on the counter to help you match the right color for your skin tone and show you how to apply. I feel that you can get away with cheaper stuff for eyes and lips, but I would buy a good quality foundation (& powder) that blends with your skin well (with get help getting the right color). Nothing is worse than the wrong color foundation on your face, you end up looking like you're wearing a mask!

I'm a weirdo but high end foundations looks horrible on my skin! I tried every high end foundation on the market (MAC, Laura Mercier, Benefit, Clinique, etc, etc, etc) and all of them caked on my skin or made me break out. The only foundation that has ever worked for me is Neutrogena Healthy Skin which is around $10 at the drug store. I have no idea why but I can't say I'm unhappy the cheap option works best for me! On the flip side I had the hardest time finding eye shadow I liked that didn't crease on my oily eyelids... the only thing that works for me is Urban Decay's Primer Potion which is aomething like $20 for just a few fractions of an ounce.

Make up is all about finding out what works on your skin. It might take a while to find your perfect products but you'll know when you have!

Renn/aissance
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:43 PM
I had a hate-hate relationship with cosmetics until I started watching some of the tutorials on Youtube to fall asleep at night. There's some stuff I'd never wear, but it got me thinking of it as an art form, especially with eyeshadows.

My go-to for technique instruction has been Michelle Phan's channel; she does some wild stuff but also some very work-friendly things too, and has some good videos on skin care, etc. too. I did eventually get a pro consultation on brands and such from Ulta (I have very sensitive skin prone to breaking out at the least provocation.) Urban Decay's products have worked well for me; they are pricey, but quality and last a long time. Other than that I get whatever Maybelline or Revlon eyeshadow looks pretty in the Target aisle. I use a lot of Neutrogena's face products also.

dalpal
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:59 PM
I love physicians formula. I use their mineral powder as a base. Light blush light eye shadow and I pencil my brow. Sometimes colored lip gloss. I hate mascara and eyeliners. Keep it simple

Slewdledo
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
Maybe host or attend a Mary Kay or Avon party? I don't wear makeup, ever. We had a Mary Kay (pink Cadillac) lady come in to my work and she said she was delighted to see a "natural" girl. It was somewhat fun and interesting. Didn't buy anything, but she was giving tips on how to apply it. The hand scrub/lotion/softener stuff was nice.

Event4Life
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:07 PM

ETA: My favorite makeup is Bobbi Brown.

I refused to wear foundation when I first started wearing make up. Too often I've seen it over applied, or the wrong colour applied(why do people think their skin is/should look ORANGE, for example?!), or it looks chunky/overspread/uneven. Ugh. At the time I was told I had good skin so I didn't need it, and she suggested a bronzer which I don't use daily but do use for nights out etc. I've honestly never understood the point of foundation....anyone want to enlighten me?

cranky
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:21 PM
I refused to wear foundation when I first started wearing make up. Too often I've seen it over applied, or the wrong colour applied(why do people think their skin is/should look ORANGE, for example?!), or it looks chunky/overspread/uneven. Ugh. At the time I was told I had good skin so I didn't need it, and she suggested a bronzer which I don't use daily but do use for nights out etc. I've honestly never understood the point of foundation....anyone want to enlighten me?

When I was young, I never, ever wore foundation. It's only as I have gotten older that I've felt that it is necessary for me. I wear it to mostly even out uneven skin-tone. I use it sparingly, applied & blended with a makeup sponge. If you're young and have good skin, you can easily skip. If you're older or don't have perfect skin for whatever reason, sometimes one needs a little extra help. But if you are going to wear foundation, finding the right color and applying it correctly is key.

OTV
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:42 PM
I recommend checking out makeupally website. Lots of product reviews, message boards, and lots of info. I routinely check there when I'm looking for a product and am not sure if I should drop the money for it or not.

Regarding foundation, I recently discovered Too Faced's Beauty Balm. I love it! It's basically an all in one and actually improves skin, too. It's lighter than a tinted moisturizer but works way better. I've gone from putting a primer, highlighter, and foundation (Bare Minerals powder) to just the beauty balm and a light dusting of powder foundation in my T-zone to help set it. Looks super natural, not cakey at all, and blends easy which is great for those early mornings when I put makeup on at 7am but don't seem to open my eyes til 11am!

It also seems like most people will instinctively go towards the colours that look good on them. I have blonde hair, pinkish skin tones and green-blue eyes with darker eyebrows and lashes. I love chocolates (make my eyes pop), browns, dark burnished golds, and dark greens. Lavender or pinks look awful on me. My mom is a faded redhead, green eyes, and yellowish undertones. She is sooo fair and paranoid about looking like she's wearing makeup. She sticks to a light eyeshadow shade all across her eyelids (a wash of colour slightly darker than her natural skin tone), dark brown eyeliner, and a touch of peachy blush. We can't share makeup since our skin tones are so very different.

If you're older, stay away from shimmery products. Whether it's blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, highlighter, whatever. My mom finds it settles into her 'wrinkles' and makes them more obvious. Matte or sheer eyeshadows, matte blush, etc. work way better.

If you have dry skin, use cream blush. Dot it on and then blend with fingertips. Oily skin, use powder. Round or heart shaped face, blend it up along cheekbones, not on apples of cheeks.

I always find it's good to have a purpose behind what you're applying. Know WHY you are applying your make up. Take a good hard look in the mirror and think about what you want to do. Are your eyebrows too thin or overplucked? Fill them in with brow pencil. If they're nicely shaped and just right - skip the eyebrow pencil/powder. Are your lashes not as noticeable? Mascara. I know a gal who has the longest eye lashes ever...the kind people put mascara on to achieve...and she still wears mascara. Just clumps her eyelashes together and looks awful. Do you have a natural flush? Skip the blush. If you're a little pale or want to contour your face, add it.

Have a reason for what you're putting on, don't just put it on to 'wear make-up'. I think that's how the clown look comes about.

jrzeqrider
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:05 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE Kat Von D's tattoo eyeliner from Sephora. It's liquid, goes on so smooth, and lasts for a lot of applications. I'm not great with eyeliner, but this stuff makes putting it on very easy. Bare Minerals powder foundation is great too, very light but evens your skin out well.

Sephora has jumbo pencil liner in a lot of colors that I like to add an easy punch of color for going out at night.

cranky
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'd also add to stick to dark brown for liners and mascara. Black is usually too harsh for most people.

LoveLongManes
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:51 PM
I never wore makeup up until a short while ago. No one in my family really wears it either. I still don't wear it daily, it still feels weird to me! Even though I know the majority of women wear it to some extent, it makes me feel like I'm being kind of self-absorbed or something. I know, it's weird!

Because I didn't have a clue about anything related to cosmetics I took a knowledgeable friend to go shopping with me. She helped me pick out suitable foundation (I have an uneven complexion so it's something that really makes a difference), some blush, mascara and some very subtle eyeshadow colors. She did a great job and even explained how I should apply everything! I have to say, as someone who puts little effort into how she looks, it does feel nice sometimes to look "pretty".

Heels_Down
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:49 PM
I love, love, love Bare Minerals. I have rosacea, so my skin is splotchy and red, so I need foundation to even things out. Up until about a year ago, I just used drug store foundation, and always felt like I was wearing makeup, if that makes sense - it was heavy and oily feeling, no matter what brand I chose. I finally broke down and bought the Bare Minerals (went to Sephora and they helped me pick out the right shade). I will never go back, it just feels and looks super natural, and it actually lasts all day with little to no touch ups. Their kits come with DVD's to show you how to apply it, too, but it's super easy to do.

I do use eye shadow, mascara, eye liner, lip gloss from the drugstore, since they seem to work just as well for a fraction of the price.

Leather
Apr. 9, 2012, 03:31 PM
I used to just buy shadows at Target, but I never knew what to do with them.

Per recommendations on another BB, I bought the Urban Decay "Naked Palette."

http://www.urbandecay.com/naked-palette-eyeshadow/245,default,pd.html

It may seem spendy, but since I bought it January I haven't used any of my old shadows--it's that awesome!

You can go from a basic day/office eye to a dramatic evening smoky eye with the shadows.

There are a ton of videos on Youtube using the palette to give you ideas.

The shadows are very richly pigmented so a little goes a long way, and they have staying power.

The Urban Decay Primer Potion is great too. I have super oily eyelids and my makeup used to wind up in the creases after only a couple of hours. The Primer makes it stay all day long. (If I want a really natural look I will sometimes just use the primer along with some liner or mascara.)

Get some decent shadow brushes too.

Event4Life
Apr. 9, 2012, 03:34 PM

It may seem spendy, but since I bought it January I haven't used any of my old shadows--it's that awesome!

You can go from a basic day/office eye to a dramatic evening smoky eye with the shadows.

The shadows are very richly pigmented so a little goes a long way, and they have staying power.

The Urban Decay Primer Potion is great too. I have super oily eyelids and my makeup used to wind up in the creases after only a couple of hours. The Primer makes it stay all day long. (If I want a really natural look I will sometimes just use the primer along with some liner or mascara.)

Those are exactly the colours I use - thanks for the tip on the Primer Potion though, may have to try that! I often feel like my eye makeup disappears or fades after a few hours.

KateKat
Apr. 9, 2012, 04:36 PM
I admit to being a bit of a Bare Minerals fanatic. I've been using it pretty much forever, even before it was super popular. What I love about it is its totally fool proof. Coverage is as light or as heavy as you want to make it, because you can "layer" the make up on. Most of their colors are very complimentary to all skin tones as well. And they make THE BEST eyeshadow primer. Seriously, THE BEST. Also, I never feel like I'm wearing makeup. When I used to wear liquid foundations, I could always feel it on my face. Gross.

I would either go to a Bare Minerals store (they will make you up for free, and recommend products) or a Sephora or Ulta (I would hit up those stores in that order, actually). Sephora/Ulta is nice because it carries all the big make up lines, if you don't happen to like BM (although it also has a very good selection of BM). All places will give you a free consultation.

Then, once you choose your makeup its just a matter of playing around with it. I used to do this once a week, I would *really* make myself up to get ideas, and then tone those down for regular useage. I'm not a person who wears a lot of make up either, but just like most things, if you want to be good at it it does take a little practice.

Oh, and warning if you do like Bare Minerals STAY AWAY FROM QVC. OMG. I have been suckered into buying so many kits from there. Its dangerous.

Good luck!

Renn/aissance
Apr. 9, 2012, 04:58 PM

This is a great palette. :yes: UD stuff lasts for-freaking-ever. My favorite of theirs, though, is the Ammo palette (http://www.urbandecay.com/eyeshadow-ammo-shadow-box/135,default,pd.html?start=14&cgid=12). Mildew and Shattered in particular are great colors for me. And second the recommendation on their primer potion. I have it in Sin so I can use it for a color as well. One thing with some of the UD colors is that they are pretty sparkly, so it's better to do your eyes before your foundation so you can clear up fallout without screwing up whatever you just did.

Event4Life
Apr. 9, 2012, 05:06 PM
Ok. So, question. HOW do you apply colours without looking like a clown?? I love the look of some colours (Mildew on the Ammo palette, for example) but every time I have tried anything other than natural I end up looking like a clown. Suggestions, please!

ETA: While I'm at it, how do you get that shimmer look??

Renn/aissance
Apr. 9, 2012, 05:23 PM
Ok. So, question. HOW do you apply colours without looking like a clown?? I love the look of some colours (Mildew on the Ammo palette, for example) but every time I have tried anything other than natural I end up looking like a clown. Suggestions, please!

ETA: While I'm at it, how do you get that shimmer look??

The answer is to be cognizant of where you are going and what you are doing with the rest of your face, because you can get away with stuff in some places that is not appropriate in others. Changing your application technique and blending colors well is key. One of my favorite ways to use bright colors for a night out, that is flattering for my eye color and skin tone, is to use primer potion, a light vanilla color as a base (applied over the lid and up to the brow line,) and then blend Mildew from the inner corner to middle of my lid, then Shattered from the middle to outside as a gradient. Then apply mascara and a very, very thin line of either a gray-blue or a mint green to the outer third of the lower lid, under my mascara. The rest of the face stays subtle and I use a neutral, matte lip color. (Who am I kidding. I wear a slightly tinted Chapstick.) I would not wear this to work because it is pretty bright. I can also get away with doing more with my eyes because I wear thick, menswear (okay, who am I kidding, they are from the men's section) glasses 24/7, so my eyes recede a little behind the frames.

I could use a little of that to wear to work- no primer (to keep the color a little muted,) vanilla shadow as a base as above, a gold-brown across the lid, and Mildew on the outer third blended in. I tend to wear something similar to work anyway, only I use an olive green over the lid with a little bit of a brown shadow on the outer third. Line top and bottom lids, mascara, matte lipstick.

This is where those Youtube tutorials can really come in handy because they are good demonstrations of stuff like blending colors in or out and using application technique to change the color of what comes out on your lid. (For instance, using Mildew as my example, I can get it a really bright green with primer underneath; more muted with a vanilla shadow underneath; almost day-friendly on its own with no base; or OH HELLO bright green when applied with a wet brush.)

The rule of thumb is to keep one of your features the center of attention- either your eyes, or your lips. If you are wearing siren red lipstick with gloss, today is not a good day for blue eyeshadow.

PiaffePlease
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:30 PM
Congrats on your new job!!

Youtube can teach you anything. I even learned how to take my camera lens apart and fix a broken piece on it. I used to be like yourself, never wearing makeup. Now I do, just still keep it simple/natural looking. So this advice is coming from someone who slowly made into the makeup world.

Make sure you are comfortable with the makeup style you choose. Start out minimal and you can work your way up. Use natural tones. Doing your make up will take practice. Keep q-tips on hand to "edit" mistakes. I find that using a powder eye liner (I use a dark eye shadow) and an angled paintbrush is WAY easier than liquid or pencil eyeliner. I used to only use waterproof mascara but I hated how it clumped and was stiff. So I switched to a non-waterproof and mine doesnt come off if I rub it. It actually doesnt come off if I get it wet, only when I rub it when wet.

Go to Belk or somewhere similar and have someone at the counter do it. Tell them you are new to this and you want it to be quick/simple/easy and to look natural. If you dont like it, try another day and go to a different person. Its not supposed to look like you have makeup on, so if your face looks painted, try someone else. Makeup is supposed to enhance your look, not cover your face up. Keep an open mind about it, but remember that if you look in the mirror and feel uncomfortable, that look is not for you. Also, maybe you can ask a friend how it looks, someone that will speak the truth. Have any friends that wear makeup that might help you out?

nightsong
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:48 PM
Department store makeup counters. They will explain it to you and put it on you right there, so you can decide. I assume there are several deprtment stores in your area, so if you don't like what one person does, go to another ;).