PDA

View Full Version : Vet School, Anyone?

make x it x so
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if there are any other COTHers out there that are applying to Veterinary School this year! I'm super scared/excited/overwhelmed about applications right now, and they haven't even opened up yet!

I'd also love to hear from anyone who is in Vet school about their experiences and what they like/dislike about the programs they're in!

I've got a list of about 13 schools in the US that I'm considering applying to right now, and even though I know I won't get into all of them, I'm freaking out about making a decision when the time comes! For undergrad, I applied to a grand total of 3 schools and I knew which one I was going to, so this decision making process is all new to me!

My top choice right now is Cornell for the price, the curriculum, and the proximity, but I know that there's no guarantee of getting in ANYWHERE so I'm trying not to get my heart set on one place.

So anyone with thoughts/opinions/advice or who just wants to vent their frustration about applying, feel free to post here! I probably won't be on too much during the day because we've got family over, but I'll definitely be checking back tonight!

supershorty628
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:15 AM
I'm applying too, but you knew that already ;).

huntereq1991
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:28 PM
I applied last year and was accepted. I only applied to one school because there is only one vet school that is in-state for me, and I was absolutely certain that I did not want to leave (TX).

I applied through TMDSAS, but I assume you are applying through VMCAS. The application was long and tedious, but not bad if spread out over several days/weeks. Preparing for the interview was much, much more stressful for me!

Feel free to PM me with any and all questions. I can't talk a lot about vet school itself since it hasn't started, but I live with two first year vet students so I have seen a lot of the ups/downs that they are going through.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:31 PM
I'm a second year (third year in less than 3 weeks!) in vet school now. Feel free to ask any q's you may have on here or PM.

I also only applied to one school and was accepted first try so I might not be the best person to give info on the app process at different schools.

I love it but it is stressful and a huge commitment both from a financial and personal life sacrifice stand point. Not to mention job outlooks aren't the best at the moment (as with every field).

ETA: I will say that you need to think long and hard before applying to out of state schools or schools that don't offer the option to gain in state tuition after one year. Vet school is crushingly expensive and salaries for new grads are on the downward slope with the ever increasing class sizes. Too much supply, not enough demand. Go wherever is cheapest. At the end of the day you'll still have your DVM.

MissCapitalSplash
Apr. 9, 2012, 05:29 PM
I am just finishing my second year at Tufts. I honestly hate vet school, but then again I hate school. Once I get to clinics I will be happier, but right now I am barely able to stay motivated. It is a LOT of lecture. A LOT of information. The material itself is not challenging, it is the shear mass of it that is. And the speed. You are expected to be superhuman. You learn quickly what to let go of (getting A's) and what to focus on (survival).
Now, if it is what you want, then it is worth it. But I refuse to paint a rosy picture of it like the one that was given to me. No "oh you'll be fine," because chances are there will be more times than not when you feel like you are NOT fine. But you just plug away at it, study what you can how you can when you can, take the tests, and absorb everything you can. When you get to clinics, life improves.
I made a promise to myself not to give up my life during vet school, and I haven't. I still have a horse and I still show my dogs. But I am not getting A's, and I'm ok with that. I know the material and am an excellent diagnostician and great with the clients.
This post sounds sooo negative, but I am in the midst of exams and finals and projects and so you are getting a somewhat jaded view. But a realistic one.
My advice; make a promise to yourself to not give up your entire life for school, it just isn't worth it. Keep one or two things that you enjoy doing and force yourself to do them. If you study all day every day, you'll lose your mind.

mep0726
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:38 PM
ETA: I will say that you need to think long and hard before applying to out of state schools or schools that don't offer the option to gain in state tuition after one year. Vet school is crushingly expensive and salaries for new grads are on the downward slope with the ever increasing class sizes. Too much supply, not enough demand. Go wherever is cheapest. At the end of the day you'll still have your DVM.

^this. I'm currently a first year and so far am loving vet school (mainly due to the family-like connection my class has), but it is a LOT of work. I applied to my in-state and 5 out-of-state schools, but ultimately chose my in-state because (1) it was close to home and (2) money. If you have any questions though, feel free to PM me. I love talking about vet school :)

faybe
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'm about to be a 4th year and up until last Christmas I was in the same boat as MissCapitalSplash... I hated classes. It's information overload, but you just put your head down and get through it. Every school's curriculum is different, but where I am (Penn), we finish core classes and start electives then clinical rotations midway through third year. I've been in clinics for just over a month now and the lifestyle difference is night and day. I went from spending 14-18h/day on the computer or reading to spending that much time on my feet or actually around animals... and I love it. It is 110% worth the two and half years of classwork.

I applied to five schools and ended up going out-of-state. Tuition is staggering, there's no question, but I think I would make the same choice again if given the chance; the experiences I've had have been incredible and I really do feel like school is preparing me to go out and do what I want to do. If you have any questions about the process feel free to PM me- good luck!

Brio
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:14 PM
I'm done in 3 weeks. Woo-Hoo!!!!! Feel free to PM if any of you have questions! Good luck!

make x it x so
Apr. 10, 2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks everyone!

In-state for me is Cornell, which is my top choice for many reasons, but I'm planning on applying all over the place just to get in SOMEWHERE, haha. My parents are cool with helping out with application fees and even my tuition as much as they can afford (I'm super lucky in that regard).

I know that Vet school will be tough work, and I gave up on my 4.0 dreams after my first semester freshman year so that's no problem, but I'm REALLY EXCITED about the clinical portion and then, you know... having my DVM. I have no clue what type of veterinary medicine I want to practice because it all seems super interesting to me, but I just know that I want to be surrounded by animals all day every day! I know it's not all fluffy kittens and puppies, especially after spending a week at Yale shadowing the lab animal vets, but even that was exciting to me because of the constant interaction and all of the running around between wings of the building.

I'm glad to know that everyone says it's worth it once you get to clinicals, part (okay... most...) of me wants to just skip senior year of undergrad and the first few years of Vet school to get right into the fun stuff! But I know that I can't do that so I'll just have to plod on through.

Thanks for your replies! I'm constantly overwhelmed by how encouraging everyone is in Vet and Pre-Vet studies. The mindset seems so much different from all of the cutthroat pre-meds I know who passive-aggressively compete for grades and MCAT scores. Just another sign that I chose the right path, I guess!