PDA

View Full Version : Need a new dishwasher

grayarabpony
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:00 PM
My 15-year-old Whirlpool "Quiet Wash" dishwasher has started leaking. My repairman suggested just getting a new one. Dishwasher recommendations or site recommendations? The Whirlpool has been a good dishwasher but is not quiet.

Perfect Pony
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:07 PM
Pocket Pony's husband did a ton of research on dishwashers last time they bought one and I think ended up with a Kitchen Aid? Anyway, I was impressed with it when I was last at their house, enough that I am posting about their dishwasher lol. Not sure if she will see this so you might want to PM her and ask, I would trust her husband with any purchase. Well...except for the icrap ;)

Alagirl
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
hmm, we did talk dishwasher some OT day back....
Don't remember the recomendation though...might have been kenmore....

and in all likelyhood a new one will be rather quiet.
My 25$ special from the thriftstore is really silent.

akrogirl
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:25 PM
Miele or Bosch, or higher end Kitchen Aid if you want a food grinder and forced heat drying.

It is definitely worth taking some of your dishes to the store to see which machine's rack system works best for you. We use a lot of thicker plates and our Bosch handles them very well, and is also extremely quiet. Miele might be better for you if you use a lot of fine china.

marianne
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:00 PM
according to my MIL is a 14 year old girl/boy. If you don't have one of those I can tell you what not to get is a Kenmore. I have had mor problems with the one I have right now that I just can't wait to replace it. But not in the budget right now.

Mara
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:04 PM
Miele or Bosch, or higher end Kitchen Aid if you want a food grinder and forced heat drying.

It is definitely worth taking some of your dishes to the store to see which machine's rack system works best for you. We use a lot of thicker plates and our Bosch handles them very well, and is also extremely quiet. Miele might be better for you if you use a lot of fine china.

Thumbs-down on Bosch. I worked for several years for a custom homebuilder (think $1 mil and up). We installed a number of Bosch appliances, and it seemed like something ALWAYS went wrong. A friend has one of the dishwashers that just conked out and it's only 5 years old. It will cost him less to replace it than to get it repaired.

charismaryllis
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:04 PM
Ditto on the plates. I bought some new dishes, and they didn't fit in the DW. Foo.

Our DW is on the fritz too; hope the landlord gets us something decent.

E D
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:05 PM
I got the Bosch. Had my first Bosch for 13 years and that was darn good considering it runs off my heavily mineralized well water. Water system can only treat the water only so much. Got the stainless interior to do battle with the water elements.

grayarabpony
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:19 PM
Right now I am trying to decide between self cleaning filter or not. Ours has a food grinder and self cleaning filter, which makes it noisier but very good at cleaning. I'm leaning toward Whirlpool at this point since their reliability is good.

Behind the 8 Ball
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:22 PM
according to my MIL is a 14 year old girl/boy. If you don't have one of those I can tell you what not to get is a Kenmore. I have had mor problems with the one I have right now that I just can't wait to replace it. But not in the budget right now.

Hahahah - the problem with the 13 - 14 yo kid is they are not quiet at all and if not for them, not as much need for a dishwasher in the first place!

We have a 3 yo Maytag that is pretty quiet and does a great job. Including cleaning bits :)

BasqueMom
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:33 PM
Had a Kitchen in last house--it came with the house so no idea how old. We were there for six years with no problems. Was very quiet.

Put a Maytag in this house nine years ago...whatever came with the house was so noisy it would wake the dead. Very quiet, works well, but the covering on the racks is coming off or wearing off and getting metal and rust marks on the dishes. It's almost as much for new racks as for a new dishwasher.

Guin
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:09 PM
I love my Whirlpool appliances. My dishwasher is more than 12 years old and keeps sloshing along. Fridge is 15-plus, stove is 20+. They just keep going and going.
I'd buy another Whirlpool in a heartbeat.

saddleup
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
I have an Asko and I love it. Very quiet. My kitchen is open to the family room, so it mattered a lot to buy a quiet model. I had a Bosch in my last house and never had any problems with it. It was quiet, too.

JohnDeere
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:49 PM
Had Maytag when we bought the house. It would once a year have something go wrong with a valev or something and the whole family would learn to wash dishes. We got a Whirlpool I think. When we remodled the kitchen 5 years ago we sold that and got a Kenmore.

2 problems: cant get door screws tight enough so have to tighten 1x month or so. More of a problem-dishes get grit on them a lot. Run an empty load and it helps for a bit. New valev helped for a bit-maybe water pressure low? We are on city water tho.

Other than that its been better than the Maytag. I loved Maytag washer/dryers but dishwasher isnt as good.

OnThinIce
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:22 PM
I just replaced my Whirlpool dishwasher. It gave me no hassles for a decade, but it was starting to not release the second cycle soap and it did have its downsides. Did a bunch of research on DWs, which was not as easy as it sounds. Most DW reviews are biased toward the brands supported by that website. Consumer Reports is especially guilty of this. So there was lots of stuff about Maytag, Whirlpool, Kenmore and Kitchenaid, but not a whole heck of a lot about Miele, Bosch, Asko, etc. I hunted around to get general populace feedback, because people will more often take the time to rant about their bad experiences and hopefully save someone else the hassle they're dealing with.

Universally Bosch got a big thumbs down for faulty construction and repeated/long wait repairs. Miele and Asko were gigged for being expensive. Most comments were not about the quality/reliability of the DW, but that they felt another brand was a better value.

Definitely take the most awkward, weird sized pots, dishes and glasses with you for a dry run at the store. (Hubby has this Sam Adams beer glass he loves drinking out of that's too big for the top rack in my old DW and too fragile to just put in the lower rack. I'd have to reposition everything to make a place for it to be held securely. I hate this glass. It was the first thing I grabbed to test in the store.)

Some things to consider:

Plastic - how much plastic is inside the DW? Plastic wears out. I avoided any DW that had interior components (shelf adjustments etc.) predominately made of plastic.

Hot water source - several DW's heat their own water!! (Having opened the DW in the AM to yucky and/or not nice smelling dishes because hubby took a late shower, made me psyched about this option.)

Imagine the store DW in your kitchen and walk by it when shut, like you would there. My DW is in a much tighter area than the showroom floor's. I realized that most models with an exterior handle wouldn't work.

Handle it like you stole it. :cool: Slide the racks. Take the strainers out of the bottom. Etc. I was leaning toward one model, but the strainer was awkward to reach and fussy to reinsert.

I ended up going with an Asko. So far so good. Hubby made spaghetti with sausages at the end of the week after the DW was installed and after dinner (and the unholy mess he makes when cooking) we put everything in there. (Well, not the skillet.) Usually we'd wash the pots and pans and numerous utensils he uses, but Hubby wanted to see what the DW could do. Wine goblets went in their little secure rack (alongside the formerly hated SA glass that fits in the upper rack now), the weeks accumulation of dishes and plastic containers, plus the stainless steel sauce pots, lids, ladle, spaghetti fork, spoon rest and the 8qt pot. It all fit, with no rearrangements necessary. He started it up, then went and took a hot shower. The DW sounds like a dishwasher. It's not whisper quiet, but you can easily have a conversation with it running. And everything came out smelling good and sparkly clean. It was kind of weird taking things I've been washing by hand for years out of the dishwasher, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. :D