PDA

View Full Version : Graduate Student Check-in

hunt_jumpfl
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:44 AM
I was going to bump up the old thread, but couldn't find it. So how many of our COTH graduate students are finishing this term or this year? How are things going?

I am just starting to collect my dissertation data and hope to finish in early fall. I'm even starting to see glimmers of that proverbial light at the end of the tunnel :winkgrin: Now I'm facing that inevitable question of when to start applying to jobs. My friends heading to academia are already accepting job offers. I'm planning on going into industry though, so I've been working on preparing the resume and gathering research on companies and jobs. I hope to start applying to positions in the next month or so, but want to have a better estimate of how long my data collection will run before I start applying.

thatmoody
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:10 AM
I didn't update last thread, because I was passed out from relief! I am done, done, done! I passed, graduated, kept my same job (haven't ventured out into the uncertain job market yet - I'm SKEERED) but I'm starting to think about it now.

So I'm trying to decide about tenure. I have a good friend who took a tenure-earning job and failed. He is now looking for an instructor position (which is what I have now). While I'm year to year, it's fairly secure because I work for a regional campus where our student population is VERY vital and growing, and I don't have to worry about publishing. On the minus side I do have a heavy classload, and while I'd like to publish some, I'm finding that the most I can manage is some conference presentations. It's kind of an interesting time.

So how is everyone else doing?

BlueEyedSorrel
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:17 AM
Graduation is May 18:D, not that I'm counting or anything.

After spending 9 years to get a combined MD and PhD (immunology, dissertation on genetics of leukemia), I'm finally done. AND I submitted the last paper from my thesis work last week:D:D, and finished my last clinical rotation.

I start my internal medicine residency at Ohio State in Columbus, OH in mid-June, so right now I'm very busy making arrangements to move myself, my 3 cats and mare. The plan is to do a "short track" program designed for people interested in academic careers...2 years of clinical internal medicine training (normal track is 3 years), 1-1.5 years clinical training in the specialty I'm interested in (hematology & oncology), then ~3 years additional post-doc research, then hopefully tenure track position at a med school somewhere.

Congrats to everyone who's phinishing this semester :)
BES