PDA

View Full Version : Easy Meals Without An Oven?

Too Old for Pony Club
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:51 AM
I'm living in a small apartment abroad right now without an oven, and I'm looking for easy, healthy ideas for meals that can be accomplished with only a stovetop and a microwave.

I have a toaster, a small microwave and a two-burner element. I could get a rice cooker, but probably not a crockpot. I may have an opportunity to buy a small toaster oven in a couple of months.

Any suggestions for recipes that can be accomplished in this limited situation?

enjoytheride
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:56 AM
You can cook just about anything you do in an oven in a toaster oven.

Ajierene
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:04 AM
I second the toaster oven option. Also, being a carbotarian, I say just eat pasta!

I rarely use the oven. I use the toaster oven for everything - rolls, reheating food, baking single oven meals for one...tons of stuff.

MunchingonHay
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:07 AM
if you could get the toaster oven I would, I use mine all the time. healthy meals;
beans and rice, (spice it up, I add cumin, chipotle seasoning, etc)
stove top ratatouille
veggie hash, (zucs, summer squash, eggplant, green beans, mushrooms corn off the cob, sauted in olive oil and a touch of butter) anything really! with rice.
omlettes,

HighFlyinBey++
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:40 AM
Stir-fry. You can have many different meals by changing up the combination of veggies, meat and seasonings.

LauraKY
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:42 AM
Just google recipes without an oven. Presto.

bumknees
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:34 AM
Go for the toster oven I cook for four in mine only thing I dont is large things like turkey's large chickens . but most anything else I use my toaster oven. Saves from heating up my large oven saves on the $$..

But, I guess you could do thing like sub sandwitches if you dont mind the mircowave effects on bread. quesadiea(sp spanish not my strong point) or as my kids used to call them mexican cheese sandwitches.

ACP
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:44 PM
Use a microwave safe dish for chicken or fish fillet, which you dab with a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper, then some sort of flavoring. I like to use citrus - orange, lemon or lime - which flavors nicely. Slice thin and use as both a bed and a topping. Or sprinkle with some herbs, or a seasoned flavoring mix, such as lemon pepper seasoning, cajun seasoning, etc. You can marinate the chicken in EVOO, rosemary and garlic, or an oil and vinegar salad dressing. Cover the chicken or fish with wax paper and nuke until done. A side salad, a fresh veggie such as carrots or broccoli which you also microwave, crusty bread of some sort.

If you are only cooking for one, do a search on recipes for one person.

Bluey
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
You could also get one of those skillets with four legs and an electric cord and a glass cover.

I have an oven, but don't even have it turned on, you don't need one, unless you are cooking for a herd of people, in volume.

sophie
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:56 PM
Buy a pressure cooker. You can get a delicious meal, full of vitamins, for less than 30 m.

Frank B
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:30 PM
Slow cooker, AKA Crockpot.

HorsesinHaiti
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:40 PM
Beef stroganoff, chicken caccitore, stir fry, even pot roasts in a Dutch Oven. Pot roast used to always be roasted in a stovetop pot!

If you don't yet have a toaster oven, there are bread recipes for cooking in a Dutch Oven. It's just a heavy large pot with a tight but not locking lid.

tasia
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:56 PM
Slow cooker, AKA Crockpot.

:yes: I love my crockpot!!

vegetabler
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:55 PM
Lots of different stir frys with rice, simple soups, and tacos or burritos! My favorite easy meal (I throw it in pitas with some veggies and tzatziki)- http://events.nytimes.com/recipes/8024/2001/08/08/Crispy-Chickpeas-With-Ground-Meat/recipe.html

Wayside
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:38 PM
Stir-fry. You can have many different meals by changing up the combination of veggies, meat and seasonings.

Yes! And if you need a change, you can easily cook small pieces of meat in a skillet or wok and use them in wraps, fajitas, on top of salad, and so on.

We have only a tiny window AC unit that doesn't work very well, so when it starts to get warm out, I stop using the oven because it heats up the house too much.