PDA

View Full Version : Ponies of the 70's.

Pages : [1] 2

Fivensevn
Jun. 10, 2000, 10:24 AM
OK It does seem that during the 1970's we had horse shows full of great ponies. I am going to take a walk down memory lane here.

Any info/insight on what happened to these wonderfull ponies is welcome.

Liseter Gold Coin
Liseter Goldilocks
Shenandoah Opal
Tid Bit
Southern Grey
Dresden
Rapunzel
Easter Sunday
Millbrooks Make Believe
SlipStitch
Hi Noon
Hi Fly
Added Touch
Martini Mouse
The Flying Dutchman
Liseter Brilliant Ovation
GlanNant Primrose Lane
Kiss Me Not

This is a start, and just from memory.
Grant it, some of these ponies have passed away but I hope they had a wonderfull life.

Easter Sunday died in a barn fire in NY,
GlanNant Primrose Lane became a great broodmare for GlanNant Farm. I believe Dresden passed away in the last few years. Anyone else know "What happened to.....?"

Fivensevn
Jun. 10, 2000, 10:24 AM
OK It does seem that during the 1970's we had horse shows full of great ponies. I am going to take a walk down memory lane here.

Liseter Gold Coin
Liseter Goldilocks
Shenandoah Opal
Tid Bit
Southern Grey
Dresden
Rapunzel
Easter Sunday
Millbrooks Make Believe
SlipStitch
Hi Noon
Hi Fly
Added Touch
Martini Mouse
The Flying Dutchman
GlanNant Primrose Lane
Kiss Me Not

Grant it, some of these ponies have passed away but I hope they had a wonderfull life.

GlanNant Primrose Lane became a great broodmare for GlanNant Farm. I believe Dresden passed away in the last few years. Anyone else know "What happened to.....?"

snickers
Jun. 10, 2000, 01:04 PM
While Kiss Me Not was foaled in 1974, she was more a pony of the 80s.

She was last shown in CA, by Jennifer Stillman and retired in 1997 at the Garden. She is living at the Forte's farm in PA, who have owned her since the early 90s.

She had one foal, by Viscount.

Duffy
Jun. 10, 2000, 01:06 PM
Shenandoah Flintstone & Firestone!

dublin
Jun. 10, 2000, 01:59 PM
Here's another one, a bit earlier than the 70's....Midget and Nancy Baroody. AHSA High Score Champion Small Pony Hunter for 4 consecutive years in the late 60's. I'm looking at a picture of her in an old HORSES magazine, and she was such a darling dappled gray pony! She looked to be reaching the "sadly outgrown" point, and the ad mentioned she had been sold to Sindy Paul.

[This message has been edited by dublin (edited 06-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dublin (edited 06-10-2000).]

Regalmeans
Jun. 10, 2000, 02:16 PM
Another Great One -
Liseter's Fan-tan - AHSA Small Pony Finals Champion 1976,1978. Was eventually sold to a riding stable in Moorestown New Jersey and became the first pony of Robert Allen's son at his Woodedge Stables. Was then used in Woodedge's lesson programs until 1995 when she was retired to Cape May County. She passed away in early April, 1999.

wtywmn4
Jun. 10, 2000, 07:47 PM
Okay Dublin, you started the 60's thing, /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. How bout, for all you Pa. fans Mimi Cummins and Coupon, or Cindy Weiner's Chimney Sweep, and Terry Rudd's Hot Shot Kid...

[This message has been edited by wtywmn4 (edited 06-10-2000).]

Kennett Square
Jun. 10, 2000, 09:40 PM
What about :

Crimson N Clover
Farnley Hawkeye
Short Stirrup
Short Stop
Gwynedd Silver Seal
Imari
Flower Power
Cest' Moi
Farnley Blue Chip
Shenandoah Sundowner ( who is still showing lightly I think!)
Silver Sharifa
Fox Hollow Singing Star
Chase the Stars
Channel
Anisha Maya
Durban Castle

Clarke County
Jun. 10, 2000, 09:56 PM
What a great thread....add Wenol Bechan (sp.?), Gwyned Sufrae.

Clarke County
Jun. 10, 2000, 10:01 PM
You've got me going! Haven's Cock Robin, Even Gamble, Farnley Sir Roger.

Bertie
Jun. 10, 2000, 10:32 PM
Does anyone remember Greg Best's ponies, Snoopy and Fantasy?

ErinB
Jun. 10, 2000, 10:37 PM
Ready Penny and Wet Paint! And when did Yes I Can show? An era later, right?

Anne
Jun. 10, 2000, 11:38 PM
A friend of mine had one of Greg's old ponies an era after he did - she was a Millbrooks, and her barn name was Kipper, but I don't remember the rest of her show name! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

DOME
Jun. 11, 2000, 11:14 AM
Dresden was Gerry Goldman's. She was a fabulous pony. Unfortuneately, Dresden died in a barn fire.

ZPony
Jun. 11, 2000, 12:07 PM
Heehee Short Stirrup is the cutest name for a pony!

I believe Evan Coluccio used to show Shenandoah Sundowner a few years back. . .

wtywmn4
Jun. 11, 2000, 12:26 PM
Were there any babies from Dresdan? Had heard she died Dome, but didn't know in a barn fire, how awful! She was a wonderful pony.

Tap2Tango
Jun. 11, 2000, 07:10 PM
Wasn't Ready Penny the pony from A Very Young Rider??? Was Wet Paint the other? Or was it Fresh Paint? Were they even real ponies? They seemed real in my mind! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

snickers
Jun. 11, 2000, 08:15 PM
I believe that Short Stop was last owned by the Sorensen's. Holly passed the reins on to her younger sister in the late 80's. I believe he was retired after that. Not sure where he is now.

I thought that Channel and Anisha Maya both died while owned by David Ziff. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Chesapeake
Jun. 11, 2000, 08:32 PM
Kiss Me Not's baby, Count The Kisses, is doing the large greens now. She is such an incredible mover!

Jun. 11, 2000, 11:13 PM
Snow Goose
Farnley Love Child
Chardonney
Nickelodeon
Irish Bit o'Blue
Charlie Brown's Snoopy
Childcraft
Farnley Sesame
Shenandoah Waterford
Pillow Talk
Smart Cookie
Hawkeye
Jack B. Nimble
The Understudy
Hanky Panky
Ace High
Northland's Speechless
Woodland's Silver Cricket
Woodland's First Ballot
Take Note
hmm, that is all I can think of now- From some of these names- I must know some of you!

Jun. 11, 2000, 11:22 PM
Motor Boat
John Henry
Glannant's First Harvest

Harven
Jun. 11, 2000, 11:33 PM
Snow Goose lived out the remainder of her life at the Chapot's Chado farm. She died about 3 years ago. She had broken her leg and was put down. She was a dear sweet pony all the way to the end.

Doubleeez
Jun. 11, 2000, 11:51 PM
Hey, with all those wonderful ponies of the '60's and '70's, you left out the littlest pony who made the biggest splash in 1971. He was High Score small pony when there were only two sections of ponies: small - 13.2 and under and large - over 13.2 but not exceeding 14.2. The little guy was only 11.2, Dinkie, owned and shown by Page Estes.

Caruso
Jun. 11, 2000, 11:58 PM
And he had to jump the full 2'6" too!

From the 60's:

Farnley ponies
Zim's ponies
And my all time favorites:
HIGHFIELD'S ponies

Wenol Becahan was from the 60's, right?

I was visiting a friend in PA about 10 years ago, and she had just been given a large pony that had been Terry Rudd's Pony Hunter Champion at Harrisburg in 1958!! She was 35 or more at the time and took a small boy foxhunting. Still a genuine 10+ mover with presence that I haven't seen in a long time. Watching her trot in from the field was pur poetry in motion!

She died peacefully a few years later.

Finzean
Jun. 12, 2000, 12:00 AM
Yes I Can was later - trainer has a great candid shot with another pony - don't remember who, though!!!
OMG, Cozmojumps! Farnley Sesame - Ashley Weaver's old pony - or should I say Claire Boyce/Dailey? I saw her about 6-7 years ago and she was showing her age(about 150 in people years!) but still had a spark (fire) in her eye...

farmgate
Jun. 12, 2000, 12:41 AM
I had seen Woodland's Silver Cricket [Parsley] at Paper Chase Farm a few years back during the Local Pony qualifications for the WIHS. I had started her as a green pony and was thrilled to see her still doing her job. A customer of Al Caluccio's had her. I told Al if and when they wanted to retire her, to give me a call. It was maybe a year later I got that call. Ironically, I had talked to Claire shortly before. She was looking for a lead line pony for her grandchild. When I called her and told her which pony I'd found, she nearly cried. I sent Parsley to her AGAIN some 20 years after the first time.

Jun. 12, 2000, 08:31 AM
Oh my Gosh! I still have pictures of me on Parsley-tongue stuck in cheek. I remember almost going off course & then almost missing the flat phase of the AHSA pony medal- with 120 ponies there. WOW. A trip down memory lane. I think at some point in ti,e Jeffery Welles rode most of these ponies!

snickers
Jun. 12, 2000, 09:40 AM
So that was mean that there have been 2 Woodland's Silver Cricket, because Cortie Wetherill currently has a large children's pony of the same name. It was the only one by that name that I knew existed, but I never did pay much attention to the ponies I showed against.

HappyHorse
Jun. 12, 2000, 09:50 AM
Hello! My Aunt, Eileen Beckman, was the breeder for all the "Slip" ponies. Slipcover,probably the most famous, showed with my cousin Randee Beckman and won several AHSA awards. Slipcover was leased and showed in FL and in CT I believe. We brought her home when she retired to be a broodmare. She had one foal. Unfortunately,for the next breeding season she has some sort of stomach ailment and with probably an error in medical assistance, she ended up with gangreen in her colon and had to be put down. Her full sister's were Slipstream, Slipstitch and Slipring. Slipring was reseve Champion at Devon in Pony Breeding one year. She was purchased by a wonderful family but was unfortunately killed in a trailer accident on the PA turnpike before her career really even started. Slipstitch was sold to Emerson Burr and had a marvelous career. Slipstream was sold to Posey Dent and later resold as well. We would love to know about Slipstream and Slipstitch as well! Eileen Beckman is still breeding ponies and has been a major force in pony breeding now since the 60's. She is in her mid eighties and lives in Bedford, VA. Her two most recent ponies are Otteridge Pow Wow and Otteridge Blackhawk...full brothers. Pow wow shows currently up north. My Aunt just got to see him again at Devon. I can remember showing in Virginia in the 70's in the Large Green division when there were many shows that we had to split the division! Those were the days! No lead changes in the early 70's. Just darn good ponies.

Janet
Jun. 12, 2000, 11:40 AM
I thought all of Page Estes ponies had "Page" in their name. Page Boy, Front Page, etc.

HN73
Jun. 12, 2000, 01:12 PM
Caruso wrote:

From the 60's:

Farnley ponies
Zim's ponies
And my all time favorites:
HIGHFIELD'S ponies

I had a Zim's pony to die for. His name was Zim's Four on the Floor (Merlin) We lost him in 1990. I still haven't recovered. I think of him every day.

Doubleeez
Jun. 13, 2000, 09:58 AM
Janet,
You're right about the Estes ponies - they all had Page in them except Dinkie.
He came with that name so it stayed. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Doubleeez (edited 06-13-2000).]

Janet
Jun. 13, 2000, 01:14 PM
I'm drawing a blank. Does anybody remember the names of the Tanrakin ponies that Buddy Brown rode? the only one I remember is Welland Valley Early Bird.

ErinB
Jun. 13, 2000, 02:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sparkles101:
Wasn't Ready Penny the pony from A Very Young Rider??? Was Wet Paint the other? Or was it Fresh Paint? Were they even real ponies? They seemed real in my mind! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, yeah Ready Penny was her pony. You're right, it could have been Fresh Paint, I wish I had the book on hand! Yes, they're real but I don't know if they're still around, if they were they'd certainly be getting on in years!

Piper
Jun. 13, 2000, 02:38 PM
This has been a wonderful stroll down memory lane. What ever happened to some of the riders of these top ponies?

Joanne Houston
Neil Ashe (I know Molly rides GP's)
Margaret and Helen Horner
and others I can't remember

ccoronios
Jun. 13, 2000, 04:31 PM
No Long Islanders out there???? How 'bout Little Santa?????

farmgate
Jun. 13, 2000, 07:15 PM
Speaking of great ex-pony jocks, how about the ones who were still doing the ponies at age 18?
Rodney Jenkins [I first saw him in the pony ring at Sedgefield]
Jeffrey Wells [I first saw him in diapers, crawling around next to the ring while his brothers and sisters were showing. Remember "Lance"?]
And, Buddy Brown.....

Jun. 13, 2000, 11:06 PM
"Lance" and Daisy and Farnley Moonstone,April Rain, Just Is---,not ponies, but Carolina Trucker & Junior Partner, Easter Lily & Wrinkle in Thyme, Left to Chance,Red! Neil Ashe is a trader on Wall street. So is Jay Bozick.

Kennett Square
Jun. 14, 2000, 07:56 AM
Possum's Corner Little John
Mapleshade Crystal Clear
Peter Pan
Cloud Nine
Sugar Blue
Timeless
Glannant Sleigh Bell
Polaris Starship
Polaris Smarty
Polaris Make Believe

Riders;
Greg Best
Elizabeth Solter
Sandy Lytle
Jennifer Marshall
Elyse Novick

HAC
Jun. 14, 2000, 08:04 AM
Do you mean the DeLayer's pony? I used to ride him when I rode with Heike. I still remember the first time I rode him when I was about 10, he grabbed the bit between his teeth and took off across the field. A few years later I know he was a school pony at Smoke Run Farms in the summer camp.

Circuit
Jun. 14, 2000, 03:09 PM
someone posted about Dresden death because of the fire.

She died on St Patricks day. I still remember it. It was a real tragedy beacuse most of Jerry's horses were in. A jogger ran by and saw the smoke, and called for help, but it was too late. Dresden was already retired by that point, but it was very sad. She was a great performer.

Tiramit
Jun. 15, 2000, 03:03 PM
I remember seeing a memorial "ad" in the COH about Ready Penny's death a while back...

Does anyone know anything about Cricket's Royal Lad? He was pretty successful on the West Coast in the late 70's, early 80's. We owned him for last ten years of his life but knew little about his early years.

L Scott
Jun. 15, 2000, 04:11 PM
Polaris Starship ended up in Ontario and partnered with Ryan Roy for many years. They were consistant in the top of the larges pretty much the whole time.

We were all aware that he was a very aged pony, but he did his job and he did it well. He was retired a few years ago and I haven't heard anything else since.

ccoronios
Jun. 15, 2000, 06:04 PM
I sure do, HAC! He was pretty awesome. He played lesson pony at Smoke Run for several years - just died a few ago. My niece was there at camp about 10 years ago - and I almost dropped my teeth when she described a little white pony named Santa. Figured it out - he had to have been about 35 then.
I see Joan Johnson every year at IHSA Nationals - that's how I knew he had died.
Heike's younger brother, John, is in TX and has my best friend's jumper for sale. Walter worked for Harry when he was in high school - imagine HIS surprise hearing "xxx ridden by John deLeyer" at a show outside Baton Rouge a few years ago! John only remembered stories about Walter from his brothers and sisters....

ChildrensHunterPony
Jun. 15, 2000, 11:22 PM
Has anyone ever heard of Shenendoa Milestone?
She is now 22(I think) and is the sweetest lesson pony at my barn. I think she was a really good pony and won quite a few awards but I have no idea when(which years) she was showing.
Thanks
Kris /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zaboobafoo
Jun. 18, 2000, 05:11 PM
Short Stop was bought by Elizabeth Katcher, who now rides in the Jr hunters on such horses as Lyle and Sooner, and showed successfully in the smalls for a couple years before he passed away unexpectedly /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ponykid
Jun. 18, 2000, 05:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TinyTot:
So that was mean that there have been 2 Woodland's Silver Cricket, because Cortie Wetherill currently has a large children's pony of the same name. It was the only one by that name that I knew existed, but I never did pay much attention to the ponies I showed against.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cortie Wetherill bought Woodland's Silver CREEK from Michelle Kamine, who campaigned him in the green/large ponies. They have different names! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif FYI

ChildrensHunterPony
Jun. 18, 2000, 11:42 PM
Cortie Waatheral showed Woodlands Silver Creek in the Childrens @ the begining of the show season. I think they are still showing in the Childrens. Last time I saw them was @ Ashley Meadows in PA over the winter. I'm not sure. That pony is so cute.

Trixie
Jun. 18, 2000, 11:43 PM
Shenandoah Tryfan: a lesson pony at our barn for a good many years, but I heard stuff about his show career before that... anyone know anything? He was the first pony that I ever showed.

Giggles: I guess a pony of the 80's, she was owned by Lauren somebody and then Alexandra Verville in the early 90's. After Alex sold her, she colicked and died - but I remember reading old WIHS programs with her name in them, I think from the 80's, definitely early 90s.....

Giddyup2
Jun. 19, 2000, 12:58 PM
Speaking of Long Islanders (NY)......does anyone remember those two twin boys who showed matching Farnley ponies? They were little hellions and their mother/trainer/stable owner (I can see her in my mind but can't think of her name) could bearly keep them in check!

Justbay
Jun. 19, 2000, 10:41 PM
Might not be the same pony, but I thought Jerome Robertson in New Orleans had Giggles at his barn. I saw her not to long ago-was she pinto?

Like I said, might be a different pony.

Trixie
Jun. 19, 2000, 11:31 PM
Nah, Giggles was a gray pony, white-gray, classic beautiful small pony... There was also a pinto Giggles, but I don't think she was as well known as the original Giggles....

Kryswyn
Jun. 20, 2000, 01:41 AM
Regarding Ready Penny, her obituary/tribute notice was published in the Chronicle in 1992 give or take a year. And I think the pony ViVi Malloy moved up to was Fresh Paint (but I can't find my copy right now). And speaking of Long Island ponies, Fudge Ripple owned by Cookie Crowell, then Ann Louise Lipman!

WmRed1972
Jun. 20, 2000, 02:06 AM
I used to love the ponies. I had a really nice large in the early Eighties. I believe that Jeffrey Wells owned him at one point and I know that he took a few of his old riders into the medal ring while they were making the transition. He was a Fox Hollow pony named Ranchero. His first show was in the late sixties and my brother and I owned and showed him through the eighties in New England. We retired him to Vermont and had to have him put down a few years ago because he came down with Grave's Disease. He was the best pony and a great competitor. I think that he disliked a bad trip more than I did.

Duffy
Jun. 22, 2000, 01:32 AM
I received an email from NBAROODY - who'd had some difficulty in posting on this thread and asked if I would be able to do so. . .(The reason she wrote me was because she knows of the two ponies I mentioned on the thread: Shenandoah Flintstone & Firestone). . .So here goes:

"Flinty was my pony - I got him as a green, green 3 year old - in a trade. He was small pony AHSA Horse of the Year Champion in 1970. We sold him in 71 to Dana Riefler. I don't know what has become of him, and would like to find out. I do know where Shenandoah Firestone is. He has resided in Millbrook, N.Y. during the summer for the past ten years or so, and wintered in Southern Pines for the same until this past year. Firestone now winters in Middleburg, Va. He is about 33 or 34 yrs old and has an incredible retirement life. He is still owned by the Newmans. Flintstone was several years younger than Firestone."

My school friend, Debbie Moore, showed one of those ponies back around 1970, so I'm guessing it would have been Firestone . . .They were both incredible show ponies!!

Greenbrier
Jun. 22, 2000, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fivensevn:

Liseter Gold Coin
Liseter Goldilocks
Shenandoah Opal
Tid Bit
Southern Grey
Dresden
Rapunzel
Easter Sunday
Millbrooks Make Believe
SlipStitch
Hi Noon
Hi Fly
Added Touch
Martini Mouse
The Flying Dutchman
GlanNant Primrose Lane
Kiss Me Not

GlanNant Primrose Lane became a great broodmare for GlanNant Farm. I believe Dresden passed away in the last few years. Anyone else know "What happened to.....?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rode Midget during the time that Marianne Stiert rode Liseter Gold Coin and Goldilocks.
Midget was 4 years small pony horse of the year and Marianne and I were fierce competitors all the way through the large ponies and junior hunters.
My large pony Pride N' Joy was Horse of the Year in 1971 during the time Cynthia Weiner was aboard Chimney Sweep. Cindy, I believe is still in Pennsylvania and is an AHSA judge, like me. I saw her at a judge's clinic years ago.
Also add to you list these ponies:
Bonny Reb (full sister to Dresden and grand champion at Washington International, 1971.
Friar Tuck (champion large pony at Devon over Dresden)
Pride N' Joy (Large Pony AHSA Horse of the Year champion, 1971) , and her full sister was Prim N' Proper ridden by Debbie Kahn, and her full brother was Neat N' Tidy ridden by James Hulick. Remember Junie Kulp and All Around Farm? Debbie Kahn rode with him.
Pride N' Joy is pictured in the Pony book about Emerson Burr, but they put her there by mistake with the caption of "Polaris Make Believe."

Greenbrier
Jun. 22, 2000, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sea Urchin:
What a great thread....add Wenol Bechan (sp.?), Gwyned Sufrae.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weno Bechan was a bay large pony - nice mover- ridden by Buddy Brown.

Greenbrier
Jun. 22, 2000, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sea Urchin:
You've got me going! Haven's Cock Robin, Even Gamble, Farnley Sir Roger.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you've got me going! Remember Cockscrow Flair and Lucie McKinney? And remember that grey pony Rebel- think it was a large. The grey pony Wizard of Oz was a 60's pony and owned by Mrs. Thomas Waller.

Clarke County
Jun. 22, 2000, 10:15 AM
N.B., just read the post that my friend Duffy had heard from you...didn't show "up north" in the '70's, but remember your wonderful ponies. Do you still ride? And what of the wonderful War Dress?

Greenbrier
Jun. 22, 2000, 11:15 AM
Sea Urchin,

I got out of horses for some 15 years and was pretty miserable. Am happily married for 5 years but one thing missing- want to show again - just one hunter. I found two beautiful pony yearlings before moveing south and I just broke them - they are 3 now. After I sell one which could be in another year or so I want to find that nice green prospect. Might be a little rusty but sure would like to give it a try. I'm trying to judge more now that I have my big R. But there are so many new managers, etc. who don't even know me. That's why I feel great communicating to all of you from the past and present!

There will never be another War Dress for me. She was always owned by Mrs. A.C. Randolph. Iwas the first rider to ever lease a horse which started that sholw trend.

War Dress had to be put down within years ofher last lessee - Pam Rush. I think it was her or Mrs. Randolph who told me she ate all of her peanut bedding and they had to pump her stomach. She had developled emphasema and she keep trying to sooth her throat and kept licking and eating anything in site all of which was fatal to her. It was so sad as she was going to be used as a broddmare and she was by The Hammer. War Dress was a half sister to Sympatico, the great puissance jumper that Anthony D' Ambrosio rode at the Garden. Remember?

Clarke County
Jun. 22, 2000, 11:21 AM
Oh yes, I remember the great Sympatico. Can't remember - did you have War Dress after Charlie Weaver? I guess you must have. Didn't realize you leased WD - thought you owned her. Did Pamela Turbow show WD some too after you? Can't remember. I'm really straining my feeble brain!

Duffy
Jun. 22, 2000, 12:37 PM
Feeble, your mind??? Don't think so, Sea Urchin!! LOL Way to sharp and witty pour moi!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Clarke County
Jun. 22, 2000, 12:39 PM
I'll take that as a compliment Duffy....perhaps those crabs and your new found...uh...taste for beverages has something to do with it...AND that extra year of course!! LOL

ChildrensHunterPony
Jun. 22, 2000, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know anything about Fuzzy Logic? My friend just bought him, but he hs been at my barn for a LONG time. I kno "Munch" was really good in Zone 2 in the late 80's, early 90's*I think*. I'm not sure on the dates but I was wondering if anyone knew about his history.
Thanks
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifKris /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tap2Tango
Jun. 23, 2000, 09:44 AM
Does anyone remember the Large pony Checkmate? He was champion at Washington in 1968. My old trainer use to have him.

Greenbrier
Jun. 23, 2000, 01:14 PM
I think I remember Checkmate. Wasn't he a black pony?

Kennett Square
Jun. 23, 2000, 03:07 PM
Wasn't that Bradley Caine's old pony? Her family owned Winter Place Farm in the 70's and it was the most beautiful farm around. Chandeliers, water foutains and just a gorgeous place to ride. Top hunters and jumpers( Gozzi,Val D'lor, Ruxton). Top trainers, Katie Monahan, Bernie Traurig, Ronnie Beard. Such great old memories. Sorry folks, I digress......

Tap2Tango
Jun. 23, 2000, 08:40 PM
yep, That was Brad's pony. She was always saying what a great pony he was. She donated many trophies in his honor to different show groups. Winter Place is soooo pretty, I'm showing there tomorrow actually!

Kryswyn
Jun. 23, 2000, 09:39 PM
I thought Winter Place went under and was sold for development. Guess I was wrong. Where exactly is it? When I was in college, we had a young horse that had been spirited out of Winter Place so that he wouldn't be sold at auction during the forclosure. Or at least that's what I remember.

wtywmn4
Jun. 23, 2000, 10:16 PM
Oh Kennett digress away, you bring back great memories... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Remember the ads for Winter Place, with Bernie jumping over a Rolls Royce?

Clarke County
Jun. 23, 2000, 11:18 PM
Kennett Square, you left out Royal Blue, Old Dominion, Buddy Brown....really a fun era...I even got to show Bradley's old large pony, but I'm racking my brain to recall what her name was....

Tap2Tango
Jun. 25, 2000, 01:19 AM
There was a post a while back on Winter Place so i don't really want to go into depth on it. It now hosts hunters shows and dressage shows. It's so pretty there. I trained with Bradley until about 2 years ago when it just got to hard traveling an hour for lessons. She had some wonderful ponies though...and her students do now... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Nwood
Jun. 25, 2000, 10:53 AM
Has anyone heard of GlanNant Prelude? Thanks

Reckoning
Jun. 25, 2000, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nwood:
Has anyone heard of GlanNant Prelude? Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Glannant Prelude was at the Fairfield County Hunt Club with Emerson Burr. I don't remember the owner's name, but the pony was quite a sucessful show pony. Why do you ask?

Kennett Square
Jun. 26, 2000, 01:50 AM
My trainer has a poster of Bernie jumping the Rolls as well as another one of the farm and it's amenities itself. He worked there for a while and I got to visit several times in it's hey day. God I wish I had just a little money then so I could have taken a few lessons from all the greats. Bradley was always very nice and so were her parents.

Glanant Prelude was owned by someone in VA/MD a few/many years ago and trained by Pam Baker. Her name was Elizabeth... and she had been champion at Devon. I don't know where she went to after that. I thought she had foundered and was going to be breed. Please this is not a KNOWN fact so don't go saying this is gospel. Thanks for your patience!

Goofy TB Mare
Dec. 11, 2002, 09:04 PM
Hey! I actually rode that pony for a while, at least I'm almost positive I did. He was Jeffrey Wells a long time ago right? Here's a picture of us, I think in 1995.

trae
Dec. 12, 2002, 06:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kryswyn:
Regarding Ready Penny, her obituary/tribute notice was published in the Chronicle in 1992 give or take a year. And I think the pony ViVi Malloy moved up to was Fresh Paint (but I can't find my copy right now)!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a kid of the 80s but as a pony lover, find this thread fascinating!

I do however, still have a copy of A Very Young Rider (read so many times) and yes, Fresh Paint was the pony she moved up to.

Card-Carrying Member o' the Mac Clique

Anne
Dec. 12, 2002, 06:56 AM
It has been previously posted that the ending to A Very Young Rider was a farce, only done to make the book have a fairy tale ending, and that Fresh Paint was borrowed from a neighbor. Calling MAD! She would know whether Vivi ever had that pony, or who her next pony really was!

Edited to ask about Millbrook's Final Copy aka Kipper, a grey large. I know Greg Best did well at Pony Finals (won?) with her, and my friend had her toward the end of her career as a children's pony. Any other info?

Custom Needlepoint Belts (http://www.freewebs.com/belts)

GeddiupGirl
Dec. 12, 2002, 07:08 AM
But the Fuzzy Logic I know was not a pony! He did the children's hunter horse in zone 2!

Just My Size
Wintarra Ring
Tazz
Calvin
Macallan

DCN
Dec. 12, 2002, 07:21 AM
Somebody asked about Durban Castle. He finished out his days at Stoneridge Farm in VA. Two very sweet girls doted on him until he died a few years ago of Cushings. He was still a pistol in his late 20s. He amused himself by running off with people on the way to the paddock -- chain shank be damned!

Remi and me
Dec. 12, 2002, 07:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giddyup2:
Speaking of Long Islanders (NY)......does anyone remember those two twin boys who showed matching Farnley ponies? They were little hellions and their mother/trainer/stable owner (I can see her in my mind but can't think of her name) could bearly keep them in check!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carol Ann Ostrov - Spelling might be wrong. I can only remember the name of one of the boys - Danny. One of the boys died later in life - I just can't remember how or when.

How about the LI ponies - Fudge Ripple
Dr. Pepper
Tony the Pony
Country Road

GOD! I'M OLD! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Dementia 13
Dec. 12, 2002, 09:16 AM
Help me - this has been driving me nuts! Was Trudy Maxwell the blonde who used to wear her hair up a lot? She has very striking features and high cheekbones and had thousands of pony riders in the 70s?

Am I hallucinating once again?

Dog gone it I want those 1973 chronicles that are on the aiden merchandise auction - then I could happily post all day about this stuff!

Lori
Dec. 12, 2002, 09:31 AM
Spectacularkid, I met a lady a few months ago who started telling me about her past showing ponies. She said that she was always second to Midget. I believe she showed in either NY or CT?? She told me her pony was small and I cannot remember the name (wish I had written it down). She used the pony's ears as the "height limit" of jumps on the hunt field. Does this person ring a bell to you? Lori

Founder and sole member of the "Nobody Clique"

VivaDusty
Dec. 12, 2002, 09:34 AM
Does anyone remember a pony named "choir boy" out in the california area? he might have been in the 80's and early early 90's????

If u do, please email me at VIVADUSTY@aol.com /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone!!!

Ps: sorry, i know this is about the 70's

***My barn burnt down, but now I can see the moon
(It didnt really...)

DCN
Dec. 12, 2002, 11:00 AM
Re: Trudy Maxwell -- I only saw her with Scott and Elise Novick in FL (Peter Pan, Shenandoah Opal, and horses I can't remember), but I was a kid then so perhaps I'm not aware of others she may have trained before them. She was VERY thin back then and I think she had dirty blond hair, but I don't recall her wearing it up.

Tackpud
Dec. 12, 2002, 06:45 PM
Anne - I remember seeing a picture of Vivi Malloy on Fresh Paint in the Chronicle back in ????? I distinctly remember it being on the last page of the magazine and she was Champion at some show so I guess she really did end up with that pony. I compared that picture to the book many times!

Silly Mommy
Dec. 12, 2002, 07:09 PM
Flintstone passed about five years ago. He had Cushings, but was the best darned Walk-Trot pony to the very end... He was very happy and very spoiled by little kids to the very end.

Proud member of the Sunnieflax Clique, IDAC Clique /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
"Poster formerly known as SQW"

.·´¯`¤ . · : * °xoxo.·´¯`¤ . ï
Dec. 12, 2002, 07:14 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

~*Tiff*~

PaintedWhisper
Dec. 12, 2002, 07:25 PM
Anyone know the Large Grey pony, Woodbine?
Thx /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Emily-
"Bobby..There are 3 cows in the shot..."-Hidden in this Picture-
^Whispering Hill^
^You've Got Mail^

LaurieB
Dec. 12, 2002, 08:51 PM
Oh my, I missed this thread the first time around.

I was so involved with ponies in the 60s. The barn I was at (All Around Farm) kids owned the large ponies: Rebel (someone mentioned her earlier), Chimney Sweep, Aloha, Blue Moon, Rommel, Pride 'n Joy, Prim 'n Proper, and Hot Shot Kid. Also the small ponies: Squeaky, Moon Comet, Chantilly, Crepe Suzette, Driftwood, Midget, Highfields Town and Country and Postage Stamp.

At my second barn, I rode with Buddy Brown who showed West Wind and then Wennol Bechan. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

schmoe
Dec. 13, 2002, 06:03 AM
Trudy Maxwell did not have blond hair; she had dark brown hair and usually wore it down or in a pony tail. I worked for her during the summers of college and there were always a lot of ponies. In addition to Scott and Elyse Novick, Trudy trained Laura and Daryl Pirtle, Red Pfohl, Cami, Krincy and Cara Bonino, Betsy Smith, Emily Sherman, Mia Tanya Stula, Elsa Ryland and Megan Trueman and I am sure that I am missing someone. Some of the ponies that were there when I was there were Game Play, Special Effects, Fayre Image, Shenandoah Opal, Take A Walk, Possum Corner Big John, Petit Four, Mountain Breeze, Pop Tart, Zim's Hit Parade, Easy Look, Chandelle, Animal Crackers, Glannany Symphony, Stage Lights, Different Strokes, Cloud Nine and again, I am sure that I am missing some.

treasmare
Dec. 13, 2002, 06:37 AM
Snow Goose was bred in Nova Scotia by Doug Fraser of Duntum Stud. She was by Coed Coch Ballog and her mom was Baron (forget the reg name). She began life as Pride Of Aaron (I knew her a "Pride") and my claim to fame is that I started her under saddle. She was then sold to somene in Penn. and I got to watch her successes via Practical Horseman mag. I also rode and showed her full sister Waltzing Matilda who was also sold to the States somewhere but I never heard of her again. Perhaps like Snow Goose her name was changed. So sad to hear of her breaking a leg before her death but I am happy she found her way to loving homes after leaving us at Duntulm. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

stevie
Dec. 13, 2002, 06:49 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned the medium pony MIMOSA. She would always win the hacks.

Dementia 13
Dec. 13, 2002, 07:03 AM
Thank you, schmoe! Okay, that blonde mystery woman was also in "A Day at the Medal Finals." Its the scene where the trainers and kids are walking the course. Ugh - now I won't be able to concentrate at work because this is driving me crazy.

I think I remember Possum Corner Big John - a gray small pony?

Silly Mommy
Dec. 13, 2002, 07:14 AM
Red Pfohl rode him.

Hey schmoe - I remember Take A Walk from when he was up north at Hurdle Hill (before he went south) - Camille Venezia had him then.

Proud member of the Sunnieflax Clique, IDAC Clique /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

monalisa
Dec. 13, 2002, 07:35 AM
Whatever happened to the large pony ridden by Tammy Kelley - Penny Machine?

Molly99
Dec. 13, 2002, 08:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treasmare:
Snow Goose was bred in Nova Scotia by Doug Fraser of Duntum Stud. She was by Coed Coch Ballog and her mom was Baron (forget the reg name). She began life as Pride Of Aaron (I knew her a "Pride") and my claim to fame is that I started her under saddle. She was then sold to somene in Penn. and I got to watch her successes via Practical Horseman mag. I also rode and showed her full sister Waltzing Matilda who was also sold to the States somewhere but I never heard of her again. Perhaps like Snow Goose her name was changed. So sad to hear of her breaking a leg before her death but I am happy she found her way to loving homes after leaving us at Duntulm. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sure you know this, but the small pony Buzz Light Year is out of Snowgoose.

ShadesofGrey
Dec. 13, 2002, 08:53 AM
Sparkles101...I think it was Fresh Paint from "A Very Young Rider". I used to check that book out from the library constantly in grade school... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Melzy
Dec. 13, 2002, 10:13 AM
schmoe, I have some photos of some of the ponies you mentioned when Trudy layed over at CMF in the fall of the early 80's between the indoors. Take A Walk was originally owned by the Roberts family from Monkton,MD. I got to ride him a few times. Trudy left CoCo Dot in my care for a week or two. Am I ringing any bells?

SpringBreak
Dec. 13, 2002, 12:51 PM
do you guys have any old pics of you riding them? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

*Spring Break*
*Simon*
*Homie S*

monalisa
Dec. 13, 2002, 12:59 PM
Does anyone remember the pony Shade? I believe Sandy Ferrell used to show him.

He is living in Maryland, still going strong. He sometimes goes to shows, short stirrup and that kind of thing. They even have to lunge him. He is in his mid 30's now.

schmoe
Dec. 13, 2002, 01:10 PM
WOW! I have not thought of the name Cocoa Dot in ages! There were so many different and famous horses and ponies at Roads End during the time that I was there, that I sometimes do lose track. After I made my last post, I immediately remembered Thyme, L'Amour, Sandstone Road, Sweet & Innocent and Farnley Marengo. Some of the ponies that were not at Roads End, but that I remember the kids riding against were Little John, Willow Spring Mermaid, Stone Throw Second Rock, Gayfield's Vida Blue, Farnley Nettle and so many more. I have some great pictures somewhere and will have to dig them out.
Possum was a great pony and a real character. I don't think that we ever got to a show anywhere, without opening the van to find him loose with his halter still clipped into the crossties. He was also not a fan of vets or getting shod and was happy to rear and strike to remind you. And, if he did not like a particular rider, he would not do a lead change to save his life, but if he thought the kid was worthwhile, he did them automatically.
I can't remember who said it, but someone once told me that if ponies were people, many of them would be in prison and that has always stuck with me. They were certainly all unique.

Lori
Dec. 13, 2002, 05:24 PM
I rode Top Secret in the 80's when he was almost "retired".
I also knew Superstition and My Fair Lady

Doubleeez
Dec. 13, 2002, 06:00 PM
Don't forget Dinkie - the 11.2 grey gelding who was High Score AHSA Small Pony in 1971.

Silly Mommy
Dec. 13, 2002, 06:03 PM
of a time in Detroit when I got a catch ride on Frito Bandito. Sue bought it for me as a "gift". /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hey, maybe Sue Ashe is the blond trainer in question?

LaurieB
Dec. 13, 2002, 06:23 PM
I have an old picture of me (not showing, just riding at home) on Wizard of Oz, one of the two greatest ponies I ever sat on.

He was HOTY Small Pony in 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, #2 in 1961, #3 in 1963, and #3 in 1966. What an incredible record and what an incredible pony!

If anyone is interested, I can find the picture and scan it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lily
Dec. 13, 2002, 07:00 PM
I would love to see that picture if you can find it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ponnies
Dec. 13, 2002, 07:08 PM
He's why the rules changed. Was clearly not the best, but went to tons of little shows for points.

Hunter_Rider
Dec. 13, 2002, 08:40 PM
What ever happened to the large bay pony named "Viff" I think Pat Dobson had back in the late 70's. I know she went to Hillcrest farms for a while where someone showed her???

LaurieB
Dec. 13, 2002, 09:08 PM
This pony was truly one of the greatest show ponies of all time. I wish I had a picture of him performing rather than just goofing around in the backyard.

He was in his late teens, possibly twenty when I rode him and he could still find his own, perfect distances around a 3'6" course. By the way, he was 13.0 hands. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Wizard is the grey in the middle. The photo is from either 1966 or '67.

EU
Dec. 14, 2002, 10:05 AM
I have been trying to track her down for years. I heard through several people removed that she was still on Long Island. She was my first show pony and I loved her to death! (Even though she bucked me off every other day... It builds character, right!?)

ponnies
Dec. 14, 2002, 01:24 PM
Owned by Waverly Farm then purchased by Dr.Paul and the Incredible "All Around Farm" for their daughter Sindy. She had a string of about 4 to 6 ponies, and each one was among the nations best. Chantilly was one of the most georgous ponies i'd ever seen. A REAL CLASSY ANIMAL in my opinion. That farm had the worlds best of every division.

ponnies
Dec. 14, 2002, 02:07 PM
i showed with you all the time, Belle Acres Star, Belle Acres Fawn , Farnley Counterfeit... Is your mom still alive? She was a great person, and some tough lady, too. Yes, i'm still in it, with my younger sister, remember the one in the carriage? Crystal acres Ponies, how ya been?

Melzy
Dec. 14, 2002, 03:32 PM
Ponnies, I loved Chantilly too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I was her groom for her last few years. She is buried at CMF. I have lots of photos of her but I don't have a scanner. Do you have any?

CBoylen
Dec. 14, 2002, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monalisa:
Whatever happened to the large pony ridden by Tammy Kelley - Penny Machine?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tammy Kelley is my sister. Penny Machine was leased or loaned out for a while I believe, but came back to our farm in the early eighties (for me to ride when I was really little) and is buried there.

ponnies
Dec. 14, 2002, 10:32 PM
No i havnt any pics, i was one of her rivals/competitors. Back then there were'nt many pics in The COTH, never mind ponies. I only got in about 4 x's , including 1 back cover pic from Boulder Brook. Please try to get some color pics up of her if possible, awesome dapples, and BLAZE. Did she ever have any foals or was she hurt in the field as rumor had it. Would love to know her breeding, any info besides Waverly Farm,Va. The Taylor's maybe?

diKecnadnuS
Dec. 16, 2002, 10:06 AM
My trainer at home trained Chardonney...she always talks about how it was un-fair that the pony won at ponyfinals (amazing a trainer acknowledges that the win wasn't deserved)...supposidely the pony was really bad in the model--but scored well, won the hack (but won hacks everywhere)--and had an okay over fences round...it was quite a shock to everyone in the barn when they won.

i'll ask her what ever happened to Chardonney when i am home for christmas.

Pastry
Dec. 16, 2002, 11:18 AM
not quite the 70's but I rode with Trudy Maxwell for a time in the early 80's. Roads End was truly the total pony experience and one that I remember quite fondly. Schmoe you are quite right about the pony personalities, I remember it being quite scene coordinating all the kids and ponies during the summer show season.
I recently moved and have come across quite a few pictures(slides) of some of the ponies there during my time. I will try to get them scanned and posted ASAP. Macgregor was one of my favorite ponies to watch at shows

Parminch
Dec. 16, 2002, 11:43 AM
Chardonay is buried in Middleburg. He died quite a few years ago now. He was leased to a customer of Denise Perrys. What a great pony! He was Hoty and then reserve hoty 10 years later! My fondest memories of him were when he was at the ingate and I was giving last minute instructions to his rider at the time Tracey Ricardson and George Sayo was standing on the other side of him and he glanced down to see where George's foot was and then stomped about a foot to his right .. right on George's foot....he was such a character..ole Shane.
He was the best at swapping to the right lead if he was getting there a little soon and to the left if he needed to stretch... we all hated that about him at first but we grew to appreciate that he NEVER let you chip! RIP Shane

Dementia 13
Dec. 16, 2002, 11:45 AM
Oh please do! I would love to see some of those pics. I was a pony rider back in the 70s and used to dream of riding ponies like some of those mentioned in this thread - Shenandoah Opal was one of my favorites.

Piper
Dec. 16, 2002, 12:33 PM
I'm still wondering whatever became of the Horner girls from Atlanta. They had some wonderful ponies and then jr. horses.

Melzy
Dec. 16, 2002, 12:37 PM
Ponnies, Chantilly was bred a few times but she never took to becoming in foal. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Yes it is true that Gold Coin kicked her in the pasture. She had a broken shoulder. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif The trainer/therapist at the time worked with her enough that she was sound enough for breeding purposes. When the trainer/therapist left the farm for some unknown reason Chantilly's therapy wasn't continued. Atrophy set in and she hobbled around on 3 legs.

It was years later when I became involved in her daily care. She became a pet and grazed loose around the barn everyday. She had a stall at night as the other animals picked on her so she was not turned out with anyone.

Unfortunately, her damn owners needed her stall so they turned her out with the school ponies and horses. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif They beat the crap out of her and I found her a bloody mess with a broken hind leg. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I ran screaming and crying to the owners house and they called the vet to euthanize her right away. She's was buried in their yard. She did not deserve to suffer that way because of her owners ignorance. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I get so angry when I think about it.

She was a sweet pony and I loved her.

I'm not familiar with her beginnings so I can't help you there.

Sorry for the venting. It happened many years ago and I should be over it by now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

RodeoGirl
Dec. 16, 2002, 01:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trixie:
Shenandoah Tryfan: a lesson pony at our barn for a good many years, but I heard stuff about his show career before that... anyone know anything? He was the first pony that I ever showed.

Giggles: I guess a pony of the 80's, she was owned by Lauren somebody and then Alexandra Verville in the early 90's. After Alex sold her, she colicked and died - but I remember reading old WIHS programs with her name in them, I think from the 80's, definitely early 90s.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giggles (the original grey pony) was owned by Aarris Petty who rode with Pat Dodson and Keith Hastings. I am pretty sure that the Pettys sold Giggles in 1990. I know that it was at Washington.

schmoe
Dec. 16, 2002, 01:45 PM
Pastry, If you were at Roads End in the early 80's, that was around the time that I was there also. I worked during the summers while I was in college. 1981 through 1983, I believe and also went to at least one of the Indoors each year to work, as a "bonus." Yikes.
One of the Horner girls, not sure whether it was Helen or Margaret, was a judge in recent years, but I don't think she rode any longer.

Marimee
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:00 PM
I rode a GlanNant pony in the 80's and truely loved him, I would love to see where he started out???

Pastry
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:07 PM
In a somewhat strange twist of something or another I actually ended up riding with Helen Horner for a time after I left Roads End. If I remember correctly both Margaret and Helen were in college at that point and not riding as much although I think Helen did the a/o division on and off.
Schmoe, I was there at the same time-I'm trying to figure out who you are my memory gets a little fuzzy but I may have a couple of ideas. Different Strokes was my pony and although not the fanciest he was a real trooper. I was able to catch try outs on some great ponies though -- Shenandoah Opal and Farnley Blue Chip come to mind. Pretty exciting at that time. Whatever happened to the Bonino's?
I'm working at the pics now so hope to post soon.

peepie
Dec. 16, 2002, 02:18 PM
Pony: My Guy
Now Laura's on USET

I rode against Helen Horner, too...and Rebel Brown and Terry Brown...all kicked my butt! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

Goofy TB Mare
Dec. 16, 2002, 06:17 PM
What was the name of the pony you rode?? I rode one too. His name was Glannant First Harvest.

hunter44
Dec. 16, 2002, 07:29 PM
Someone asked about Farnley Blue Chip. He was a great pony and was retired at Quiet Hill in Ocala. He had breathing problems and died at least 5 or 6 years ago.

As for the Horner girls, I believe they are still leaving in or around Atlanta.

schmoe
Dec. 17, 2002, 07:24 AM
Pastry, when you mentioned Different Strokes, I knew exactly who you are. E-mail me, if you would like and I can fill you in on the current Roads End alumni news that I know of.

MHM
Dec. 17, 2002, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marimee:
I rode a GlanNant pony in the 80's and truely loved him, I would love to see where he started out???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GlanNant Farm was in Ithaca, NY. It was owned by Mollie Butler, who bred and raised many very nice ponies. Gary Duffy started out there before he got his own place.

Mrs. Butler passed away several (5-10?) years ago. I don't know if her husband still owns the property or not, but the fields don't look the same without Mrs. Butler's ponies in them.

LaurieB
Dec. 18, 2002, 08:16 PM
Someone asked for a picture of Chantilly? This one isn't great but it's the only one I have. It's the Small Pony Model at Ox Ridge in (I think!) 1967. Chantilly is the third pony, standing with her owner, Sindy Paul.

Melzy
Dec. 20, 2002, 11:16 AM
Thanks LaurieB. I loved Chantilly and took care of her. (See my previous post)

Best wishes.

EquusArtist
Dec. 20, 2002, 01:57 PM
Wow....I was the next to the last person to own Flinstone. My parents rented him for me to do Medium Ponies back in the early, early 80's. At the end of our lease we ended up buying him. My brother rode him for a while but he wasn't into the ponies as much as I was.

Flintstone ended up retiring on our farm in Upstate NY. He got fat and hung out with our shetland ponies. My mom gave him to Kerrymede Farms (spelling ??) after I graduated from college so he could be used for something. Last I knew, he died a couple of years ago....well into his twenties. **editing to add in....if I read the whole thread before posting..duh.. I didn't realise that it had been 5 years since my mom told me Flinstone passed away.

He was an awesome and fun pony /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'll have to dig up some photos of him when we had him.

Equus2 Studios, Equine and Canine Fine Art (http://equus2studio.tripod.com/home.htm)

EquusArtist
Dec. 20, 2002, 02:16 PM
ROLLING WITH LAUGHTER...dies...

Oh my god....I found the dumbest photo of me and Flintstone. Nice ribbons....you might be able to make out flinty's face. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif NICE BRAIDS! ROFL....I think I was in 5th grade when this was taken.

Honestly, it's the only photo I have on disc right now....I'll have to scan some other ones of just him.

Equus2 Studios, Equine and Canine Fine Art (http://equus2studio.tripod.com/home.htm)

ponnies
Dec. 20, 2002, 02:16 PM
How would you compare ponies back then, to the ponies today?

Lori
Dec. 20, 2002, 02:48 PM
I feel that the ponies from back then were more solid and schooled all the way around. You could do more than just show ring riding. I like the heavier bone of the older ponies, too. A lot of the fancier bred newer ponies I have broken and ridden are hotter than the ones from years past.

LaurieB
Dec. 20, 2002, 08:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONNIES:
How would you compare ponies back then, to the ponies today?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a lot more variety to the ponies back then. Today, almost all the ponies you see in the show ring have the same "look". Not then. Also, if your pony was a good jumper, you didn't have to be a wonderful mover to do well.

The ponies were not as heavily schooled as the ponies you see today (read: they didn't look like robots). There was no lunging until they were dead as bucking was allowed /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif and lead changes were optional. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Most kids I knew rode their ponies out on trails regularly. Many were hunted. I think the top 25% or so of the ponies from the sixties would be totally competitive in the show ring today.

ponnies
Dec. 20, 2002, 08:45 PM
Do you think its the ponies or the trainers? My sister and I breed ponies(crossbreds). They are finer boned and fancier movers today, but the kids dont really have to prove much in a even strided RING, to show what the ponies could really do. There is no such thing as the Stake class which was pretty cool to win, because the trip had to be a bold one with moving big spots. They could never jump around a hunt course like we used to. Up and down hills, over solid fences etc... Who's fault ? Maybe not the ponies ??????

PaintedWhisper
Dec. 21, 2002, 09:42 AM
Not exactly...But GlanNant Epic..
www.heliconsportponies.com (http://www.heliconsportponies.com)

My pony, Portrait Painter is by Epic, and is Full brother to McGregor.
Anybody have any pictures of McGregor??? I saw one pic and it looked so much like Petey it was scary.
Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Emily-
^Whispering Hill^
^You've Got Mail^

LaurieB
Dec. 21, 2002, 11:46 AM
I love your picture of Flintstone! I remember him from when Nancy Baroody was showing him as a first year pony. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anne
Dec. 21, 2002, 01:05 PM
Emily, one year in the junior issue the COTH did an article about ponies who lasted forever and ever. I think it was called "Weren't They Old When We Were Kids?!" Anyway MacGregor was featured in it and there were lots of pics of him. Someone at the COTH could probably send you a copy.

bpatp5066
Dec. 21, 2002, 02:56 PM
oooo weeeee! going back a long time to the late 50's early 60's, Jumping Jack (chestnut TB gelding owned by Peggy Aurand), and Hasty Puddin (a large pony owned by Mary Jo Hastings). Both shown locally in the Fairfax, VA area. Both wonderful. What happened to them, anyone?

PaintedWhisper
Dec. 21, 2002, 04:19 PM
Thanks Anne-
I *think* when we bought him Gary Duffy showed us that article. I still think it is scary how much Petey and McGregor Look alike.
My trainer told me her Dad used to love Mcgregor when she showed against him...He was really excited when we got Pete.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

-Emily-
^Whispering Hill^
^You've Got Mail^

Dementia 13
Dec. 21, 2002, 08:15 PM
bpat5066 - I am sorry, I don't have any information to about the horses you mentioned but I am curious - were you showing in the Fairfax area during that time period?

This is a great thread. I can't wait to get my collection of 1973 Chronicles from the aiden auction - then I will be posting some serious trivia threads!

clearound
Dec. 21, 2002, 08:41 PM
Although I never rode ponies, I loved watching them as a junior. What about the McKinney's ponies Touch-Me-Not and then Forget-Me-Not. Anybody remember Princess Proxide. I loved that name! When I first started riding I rode at the barn of the people who bought Gwyned Sufrae as a three or four year old. I remember that she was named after the women who bred her - Susan and Francis.

CBoylen
Dec. 21, 2002, 08:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clearound:
Anybody remember Princess Proxide. I loved that name! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was also one of my sister's ponies /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bpatp5066
Dec. 22, 2002, 04:26 AM
Dementia: no, I wasn't showing--just a horse hungry kid watching from the sidelines. My buddy schooled Jack for Peggy and I use to watch. I went to school with Mary Jo. You're right--this is a great nostalgic thread.

schmoe
Dec. 22, 2002, 08:01 AM
Princess Peroxide was in Illinois in the late 70's/early 80's, when she was owned by both of the Williams sisters, Whitney and Leslie. They also had another great large pony at the time named Deja Vu. He was black with a large, unique white blaze. There were many nice ponies in Illinois at the time being show by juniors like Laura Gorman, Bobby and Timmy Kraut and the two Malisoff girls (Cami & ??) and Ashley Brown. Ponies like Imari, Some Fun, Added Touch, Shenandoah Sparkle, Touch Me Too.

Silly Mommy
Dec. 22, 2002, 08:46 AM
Sand Castle...

ponnies
Dec. 22, 2002, 09:53 PM
I had to jump on "Touchy" at Saratoga once when she was feeling too good for Libby to ride . Lucie had Cockscrow Flair. We all showed at the same time as Leslie Burr, (when she rode for Sharon Hardy: Highfields Farm) Nancy Barrody(Midget,Pride 'n' Joy,Shanandoah Flintstone, Cindy Weiner (Chimmney Sweep), Sindy Paul who showed Chantilly,Driftwood,Squeaky,Moon Comet, Crepe Suezzette,Farnley Hi Li, Maryanne Stieurt-spelling?LOL Goldcoin, and Goldielocks, James and Gail Hulick( Neat 'n' Tidy), Buddy and Leslie Brown(Wennol Beckon) James Khan(Prim N Proper) The late Gerald Goldman's "DRESDEN" who had many riders Susie Slaccom to name one, Judy Korn (Rebel),more ponies ??? OK , Springledge Irish Twigg, Nip N Tuck, Farnley Solo, Troughhill Dragonfly and Dragonette, All the HighFields ponies :Master Thom , Starflight, Miss Socialable,Fancy Nancy .....ETC It wasnt easy back then either!

Silly Mommy
Dec. 23, 2002, 07:11 AM
is now in Lockport, married Alfonso Salcedo, at (the former)Hurdle Hill...

buryinghill2
Dec. 23, 2002, 07:23 AM
Wow, PONNIES, those are all the ponies I remember. A friend of mine leased Twiggy after she was no longer a "pony" anymore. Somewhere I have a great old black and white photo of Libby sitting on Touchy at the ingate at Devon, Bruce standing on one side, me on the other. I must have been about 16 at the time.
I saw all the Mckinney girls and their Mom at Em's service last December. I hadn't seen any of them in at least ten years.

LaurieB
Dec. 23, 2002, 08:37 AM
I'm wondering if you and I used to know each other. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I, too, rode with all those kids and ponies you mentioned.

Here's a picture from the Large Pony Model class at Ox Ridge in either 1969 or '70. The first pony in line is Springledge Irish Twig with Lindsay Dugan, followed by me with Pride n' Joy (I owned her before Nancy did), then Judy Korn with Rebel, Cindy Weiner with Chimney Sweep, and Debbie Cahn with Prim n' Proper.

Blinky
Dec. 23, 2002, 12:14 PM
What ever happened to all the Farnley ponies? You hardly ever hear that name anymore.

clearound
Dec. 23, 2002, 01:04 PM
Anyone know what Lucy McKinney is up to these days. I heard that she went professional, but don't recall where. After she graduated ponies she and I competed against each other in the childrens during the mid-70s. I think her horses name was Magyar Blue Chip. God that was a long time ago!

buryinghill1
Dec. 23, 2002, 01:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
Here's a picture from the Large Pony Model class at Ox Ridge in either 1969 or '70. ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for sharing! Lately OxRidge has had WAY too many years of MUD and RAIN. It's nice to see grass and sunshine! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ponnies
Dec. 24, 2002, 02:02 PM
LOL,My sister Jackie was Lg pony champion @ Farmington with Belle Acres Fawn in either '71 or '72, I THINK? I was always getting 2nd's at that show on my small/medium Belle Acres Star. The year i started showing Fawn i was reserve ,in a hack off, with Wenol Becon. cough! lol. Mrs Baroody was watching over it closly to be sure my sisters hack off , the year before went right, and it did. Thats a tough show for anyone who doesn't come from Conn. We did our own training , with ponies we purchased as babies. I Dont think its real possible to do any more for the back yard kid, thats SO SAD! There is talent out there, but its way too expensive , especially entries and stalls.

buryinghill2
Dec. 24, 2002, 02:17 PM
Lucy Mckinney was at Ox Ridge teaching for a long time. I don't know if she is still there.
I have great memories of being at Farmington with Em and his ponies. I can remember so well bringing the whole gang of them across the field from the trucks to the ring. Of course, the vast majority of them were grey, so it was always a great sight. Those were great times. Makes me very sentimental... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LaurieB
Dec. 24, 2002, 03:10 PM
Ponnies, I guess I was a couple of years ahead of you. The New Jersey kid I was always chasing in the hack classes was Karen Nolte on Thorwell. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MHM
Dec. 24, 2002, 08:20 PM
Lucy McKinney has not been at Ox Ridge for several years. I heard she has a place near Greenwich now.

amble
Jan. 3, 2003, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
I received an email from NBAROODY - who'd had some difficulty in posting on this thread and asked if I would be able to do so. . .(The reason she wrote me was because she knows of the two ponies I mentioned on the thread: Shenandoah Flintstone & Firestone). . .So here goes:

"Flinty was my pony - I got him as a green, green 3 year old - in a trade. He was small pony AHSA Horse of the Year Champion in 1970. We sold him in 71 to Dana Riefler. I don't know what has become of him, and would like to find out. I do know where Shenandoah Firestone is. He has resided in Millbrook, N.Y. during the summer for the past ten years or so, and wintered in Southern Pines for the same until this past year. Firestone now winters in Middleburg, Va. He is about 33 or 34 yrs old and has an incredible retirement life. He is still owned by the Newmans. Flintstone was several years younger than Firestone."

My school friend, Debbie Moore, showed one of those ponies back around 1970, so I'm guessing it would have been Firestone . . .They were both incredible show ponies!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

amble
Jan. 3, 2003, 05:15 PM
I recently saw the post on the ponies from the "70s and was thrilled to see the photo of Shenandoah Flintstone. I had the privilege of being taught to ride by that pony and he was a major part of my life from 1970 thru 1975. He was my pride and joy and the love of my life. He was the kindest and most gentle pony I have ever known. He was foaled in 1966 and his brother, Firestone, was foaled in 1965. He has many other siblings as well. Thrilled to hear he lived out his senior days so happily and that firestone is still around! I now have a pony hunter breeding farm and my stallion, Elite Earl Grey, and several broodmares all trace their pedigrees back to Flintstones siblings!!! My stallion is a grandson of Flinstones sister Shenandoah Moonstone. Another mare is a daughter of Flintstones famous little sister, Shenandoah Gemstone and still another on my farm is a grand daughter of Flinstones fabolous big sister, Shenadoah Opal!! So, I guess I have come full circle and with my daughter, hope to continue the magic of those wonderful http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ponies from the 70s.

Dementia 13
Jan. 3, 2003, 05:28 PM
That is so cool! Wow, I really have enjoyed reading about all these wonderful ponies from that era.

And what of Shenandoah Keystone? There is a funny picture of my trainer riding that pony in one of my Chronicles from 1973.

In fact, I think I will bump that thread!

amble
Jan. 3, 2003, 05:32 PM
posted Jan. 03, 2003 07:15 PM
I recently saw the post on the ponies from the "70s and was thrilled to see the photo of Shenandoah Flintstone. I had the privilege of being taught to ride by that pony and he was a major part of my life from 1970 thru 1975. He was my pride and joy and the love of my life. He was the kindest and most gentle pony I have ever known. He was foaled in 1966 and his brother, Firestone, was foaled in 1965. He has many other siblings as well. Thrilled to hear he lived out his senior days so happily and that firestone is still around! I now have a pony hunter breeding farm and my stallion, Elite Earl Grey, and several broodmares all trace their pedigrees back to Flintstones siblings!!! My stallion is a grandson of Flinstones sister Shenandoah Moonstone. Another mare is a daughter of Flintstones famous little sister, Shenandoah Gemstone and still another on my farm is a grand daughter of Flinstones fabolous big sister, Shenadoah Opal!! So, I guess I have come full circle and with my daughter, hope to continue the magic of those wonderful ponies from the 70s.

amblefarm@aol.comAmbleside Farm. (http://www.amblesidefarm.com) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

amble
Jan. 3, 2003, 05:37 PM
Dont quote me but here is a summary of the Shenandoah "stoneage" ponies
Shenandoah Moonstone, Firestone, Flintstone, Gemstone, Milestone, Ringstone, Rhinestone, Touchstone, Keystone, and Opal. Could be more..... will get back to ya!

EastersMom
Jan. 4, 2003, 06:37 AM
Lucie McKinney is doing a lot with pony jumpers these days. I've seen her a few times at the Pony Finals and she's somewhere in CT.
I'd love to reconnect with Libbie if anyone knows how. We were pals when showing small ponies and had the distinction of being the only two "0" scores in the O/F phase of the 1973 pony finals. (She had three refusals on Touch Me Not and I fell off!)

This thread has been tons of fun to read! I wish there were videos of those old pony trips to compare to today's. I think the ponies were great jumpers and things were just a bit less sophisticated--though that wasn't a bad thing. We sure didn't worry about how many strides to get down a line and I remember making fun of those who rode that way. (The outside course at Loudon was 128...129...130...jump!)
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

clearound
Jan. 5, 2003, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have any information on Kathy Johnson. She started Gwyned Sufrae as a three/four year old. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ponnies
Jan. 5, 2003, 09:21 PM
Im supprised that "Dresden" the all time top large and ridden by some of our very best riders of today. She was BEAUTIFUL, she didnt win the hacks all the time, but the MODEL was always hers. As far as jumping ? she usually won at least 1/2 of the over fences and was always in the top 4. What a pony? We miss her and Jerry.R.I.P.

Perfecting Crossbred Ponies of Color -Crystal Acres -

Court@HJ-OH
Jan. 5, 2003, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clearound:
Does anyone have any information on Kathy Johnson. She started Gwyned Sufrae as a three/four year old. Any info would be greatly appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I know at least three Kathy Johnson in the horse world. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif One posts on the dressage board here. One owns a H/J/import barn in Columbus, OH and the other shows in the midwest.

**Courtney**

"I may not agree with what someone has to say, but I will die for their right to say it" every American

showjump
Jan. 6, 2003, 11:14 AM
I know she is married and lives in Va. I can't remember her married name. Her farm used to be Old Poorhouse Farm. I think it's somewhere around Keswick. She is still showing. I saw her this past spring.

EastersMom
Jan. 6, 2003, 03:00 PM
Cathy Johnson is living in Midlothian and shows pretty regularly at Deep Run and Keswick horse shows. I don't remember her "new" last name, either. If it comes to me, I'll let you know. Her parents are still at Old Poorhouse in Keswick, so if you want to get in touch, that may be a place to start.

Dementia 13
Jan. 6, 2003, 03:23 PM
EasternsMom, by chance do you remember a pony named Farnley Flint that did the smalls when you were showing? He was from Junior Equitation School - that was where I rode, but I was not his rider - I just thought he was cool as anything. I later rode on at North Fork School of Equitation (what a dumb name) in Purcellville and I think you knew one of my friends there - Francis Bacon. Not sure if that rings a bell with you or not!

Tackpud
Jan. 6, 2003, 03:36 PM
Dementia - I rode at North Fork as well - when were you there? I rode a pony named Herkimer for a couple of years - he was a bit wild! I have to agree it's got to be the dumbest name for a barn! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

clearound
Jan. 6, 2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all of your helpful info on the Johnsons. I might be pushing the envelope here but does anyone have an email address for any of them. Thanks again.

Dementia 13
Jan. 6, 2003, 06:28 PM
tackpud,I must meet you! I rode at North Fork from 1975 until 1997!

amble
Jan. 6, 2003, 09:05 PM
What a wondeful trip down memory lane! I know I must have ridden and shown with many of you...years ago! Anyone show at "The Hill" before it was Old Salem? What about a fun show, A Day in the Country! Other ponies from the past... does anyone recall Crystal Blue? I think she was shown by Laurie Cavallaro or some thing like that. Gosh, I went to school with th Malloys (prior to Vivi's book), rode at the same time as the Mckinneys, Linda Blair, & the guyers. I had to laugh at one of the posts - strides? Counting? And age limitations? (LOL) I remember showing at Pony Finals one year and Mariane Stiert (who was showing Gold Coin and Goldilocks) drove a car to the ring.... and I had just had the training wheels removed from my bicycle!!

clearound
Jan. 6, 2003, 09:13 PM
AMBLE - Not only did I show at "The Hill," I rode there for the last four years of my junior "career." It truly was the best of times!

ponnies
Jan. 6, 2003, 10:21 PM
AMBLE- the hill was a great show! My sister was grand hunter champion on her lg. pony "Belle Acres Fawn" she was supposed to get a charcol drawing of Fawn, but it never happened, matter of fact i was reserve to her on my small/med Belle Acres Star? what fun. THE FINALS at Four Seasons were uncountable strides, I remember up to 20 + from the brush to the 2nd fence. Crystal was soooo nice a pony, wish she could have been my broodmare!! FAB MOVER, Super MODEL

ponnies
Jan. 6, 2003, 10:29 PM
Any one remember my younger sisters pony

'Clear As Crystal? Beautiful grey mare, she and "Kiss me Not" used to duke it out in the models all the time. Her picture is on the "UnderThePines.com Web site, older sister DEE's site. Take Ya Back HUH ? LOL

Tackpud
Jan. 7, 2003, 08:40 AM
Dementia - we must know each other - by sight at least! I can't remember exactly when I rode at North Fork - early 70's I think, but I continued to show there for years afterwards also. I loved that ring at the top of the hill. It was actually the first place I ever showed my baby in '83 - he is now 23 and going strong!

Natty Dread
Jan. 7, 2003, 12:36 PM
Schmoe....we have got to know each other. I showed in and around zone 5 all thru the 70's (hate to admit that) up til '85. I didn't have the top ponies but they always were competitive. They always qualified but then got sold. I had Scooter-T, Giggles Galore, Sensitivity, Junior Gentleman, my brother rode too, and always got dumped.

I remember all of the Roads End ponies and Trudy Maxwell Glefke, at the time she was married to Paul Maxwell. He schooled all the ponies. Elyse and Scott Novak were always mounted to the nines. Which ever pony became pony of the moment they bought it. And Possum Corner Big John was always the pony to beat for me. Redd Pfohl went to Culver and actually played polo. Princess Peroxide was one of my all time favorites. Whitney owned the pony division in the midwest for years with this gorgeous Palomino mare. She could be a brat though when she wanted...a true princess. Richard Zimmerman with his wife Mary started the Zim's ponies and they were always nice, Zim's Ovation being the most famous, she later foundered and had to be put down. Shannon and Cammie Malisoff always had a bunch of ponies, I must rack my brain for some names. I think Judy Young knows how to get in touch with them. Mia Tonya Stula (my brother's very first ever girlfriend (I think they were 7)). SHe had that little grey spaz of a pony that used to grab the bit and race around the courses. Thomas Serra had a really fancy bay mare (what was her name)? Farnley Eiffel Tower owned the small division for years with his owner Victor Spilatro Jr. In the 70's the midwest turned out a ton of nice ponies and godd riders and was always extremeley competitive.

As to the question regarding then and now. I would take a pony from those days over any pony of today. Back in the day you used to have to do outside hunter courses. If you could pilot your pony around one of theses you were certainly a superstar. I dare you to try that now. Always full of the most unexpected and scarey single fences with no striding. Plus we all were in Pony Club. Plus most of us hunted. That'll make a man outta you (even if you were a girl)!!! We showed often against or with the Krauts, the Kapplers, the Cheskas, the Dennehy's, the Jaynes, the list is endless.

Whatever happened too:

Shenandoah Opal
Special Effects (Bobby Kraut's pony right?)
Take a Walk
Possum Corner Big John
Animal Crackers
Farnley Marengo
Rare Edition (buckskin? a real brat?)
(didn't Paul always ride this pony?)
Millbrooks Final Copy
Buckeye Taffy
L'Cega ( we had her on lease after Timmy Kraut)
Farnley Eiffel Tower
Brookes Brother
Princess Peroxide
Paper Mache'

There was a girl (Christine/a) really long blonde hair (used to have a huge hardhat to put her hair up inside. I swear she had a couple fancy larges, one was definately called Chardonnay. Super fancy bay large with tons of dapples.

Do you remember Bunner Callahan , her aunt's/trainer's name was Mary?

crystalacresponies
Jan. 7, 2003, 01:37 PM
Animal Crackers met with an unfortunate end while at a popular pony sale barn to be sold. Something happened to her(can't quite remember what it was/some kind of bodily function failure). Apparently she went crazy in her stall, throwing herself off the walls and had to be destroyed. What a nice pony she was. So sad...

"Crystal Acres"
Home of Major Fox, Tribute In Light, All Dressed Up, and Foxen the Pony Princess!
www.underthepinesfarm.com (http://www.underthepinesfarm.com)

Kennett Square
Jan. 7, 2003, 01:40 PM
The Malinsoffs (?) had Star of India (A beautful roan) and a few more. I worked a bit for them when they came to Commonwealth Park to show with John French when he was training them.

Ladies and Gentleman, I was just informed by the ever awesome SU that the girl's name was Christine Fiore and she rode with Heaven Trees Farms. Is he not just the font of all information? A case of Chardonnay for him.....lol

[This message was edited by Kennett Square on Jan. 07, 2003 at 03:58 PM.]

showjump
Jan. 7, 2003, 04:39 PM
Actually, Christine Fiore rode with her stepfather, at the time, Rodney Bross. That would have been in the late 70's maybe 78-80. She was from TN. I think she is working for Christian Currey now. At least she was last year.

EquusArtist
Jan. 8, 2003, 05:51 AM
What ever did happen to Shenandoah Opal?

Anne
Jan. 8, 2003, 06:48 AM
Hey Natty! I am glad to have found someone else who knew Millbrooks Final Copy. My friend had "Kipper" as a short stirrup/children's hunter pony at the end of her career, probably the late 80s. To my knowledge she is still around somewhere; when my friend moved up she was sold to another family.

amble
Jan. 8, 2003, 06:50 AM
I dont know where Opal was eventually retired, but I do know she was bred to Cyrmraeg Rainbeau had at least one wonderful filly, Hip Pocket, who is now a grand old mare in Va. I remember when JoAnne Houston used to show Opal! Awsome pony.

amble
Jan. 8, 2003, 06:55 AM
I am looking for a pony - mare foaled in 1987 and sold by "Bates Newton" from KY. Name of the pony was "Festive Grig" - she is a sister to my S. Gemstone daughter and I would appreciate any suggestions/leads from you pony guros. The breeder, Mr. Newton has no information. Thanks in advance. You may email me privately if you prefer: amblefarm@aol.com

Piper
Jan. 8, 2003, 07:57 AM
Is that the same Chardonnay that Caroline Clark showed?

showjump
Jan. 8, 2003, 08:43 AM
Same one. Joe Quatrocci started the pony can't remember what year maybe 72 or 73.

Piper
Jan. 8, 2003, 09:44 AM
Chardonnay was such a lovely, typey pony. One of my favorites.

schmoe
Jan. 8, 2003, 10:28 AM
Natty,
From your list of ponies, I know exactly who you are. I am also from Batavia and still live there now. That should make it fairly clear for you, I would think. I hope all is well with you and say hello to your Mom, also.
Bunner Callahan's pony that she won a lot on was a medium named Siamese Kitten and the small grey that Mia Tanya rode was appropriately named Silver Streak.

Natty Dread
Jan. 8, 2003, 04:30 PM
Oh Schmoe I just knew it was you!!!

My Mom sends a huge hello!

We are down in FLA for the winter...I hear its cold up there.

Silver Streak, damn that was bugging me. Okay what was Bobby Kraut's nice large mare's name? Animal Crackers was Thomas Serra's right? I am also racking my brain Randy.....? I can't remember his last name, or what pony he had. Who had Special Effects? The Malisoff's originally owned Silver Streak right? I do remember Star of India, really pretty but as I recall could be really bad. I am thinking it was Shannon's fancy new pony but I am also thinking she had a heck of a time with her. Remember the Ziff's.... I wonder what ever happened to Bunner. I am sure you are full of gossip....do tell. I have 2 really nice ponies right now. AN oldie but goodie called Cross My Heart (in foal yeah woo!) and a really pretty Princess Peroxide wannabe called Dragon's Gold Dust (though following the PP theme I was thinking Sun In). Send me your e-mail.

schmoe
Jan. 9, 2003, 07:22 AM
Natty,
Nice to hear from you. Here are the answers that I know: Kraut's large was Added Touch, chestnut with lots of white, somewhat Araby looking. Special Effects actually started with Charlie Dennehy (Colorado) and from there, I think went to Megan Trueman, Cami Bonino then showed her for a year and not 100% sure who rode her after that. Animal Crackers was Thomas' pony and she then went to Roads' End and Thomas got the large grey L'Amour from Roads' End at the same time. Betsy Smith rode Annie and then not sure where she went to from there. E-mail me when you have a chance.

Hunter_Rider
Jan. 9, 2003, 08:35 AM
Remember the large grey pony Christain Curry used to show, very nice pony can't remember the name, his sister I believe had a chestnut. I remember back in '76 in the Large Green pony division at Upperville, he was having a nice round, but pulled the pony up, because she was starting to act a little silly, then he came back in the next round and had a gorgeous trip. I always admired his style. Who did he train with?

Piper
Jan. 9, 2003, 08:58 AM
Don't remember the pony's name but didn't they train with Brownie?

Small Change
Jan. 9, 2003, 09:13 AM
Since I had a Fyndelyn (and I know I butchered the name!) pony, I love hearing stories about that line. Does anyone have any for me?

What about the Ardmore lines? I think they were a more recent line though...

Steph http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping -Julius Hare

Tackpud
Jan. 9, 2003, 11:34 AM
Small Change - I worked for Nancy Bedford one summer - she had a Findlyn stallion and a lot of those lines. They were great ponies! Good minds and very athletic.

Dementia 13
Jan. 9, 2003, 11:57 AM
In the dim recesses of my mind I seem to remember an Ardmore Footlights. Anyone else, or am I having a dementia moment?

I wish miniwelsh still posted here - she has a Glendale pony that is utterly gorgeous, and I think the lines include Miss Glendale and some other famous ones.

[This message was edited by Dementia 13 on Jan. 09, 2003 at 03:30 PM.]

schmoe
Jan. 9, 2003, 12:03 PM
I think that the Currys had Gwynned (sp?) Silver Seal around that time.

Medievalist
Jan. 9, 2003, 12:43 PM
Does anyone remember Beau's Bunky, a chestnut medium out of Pandora?

Tu te fous de ma gueule ou tu te fous pas de ma gueule? -Jamel Debbouze

Centre Equestre de la Houssaye (http://www.eii.fr/houssaye)

Kennett Square
Jan. 9, 2003, 01:03 PM
I used to take care of Gwynned Silver Seal in the early 80's in Richmond at Foxmoor. Teddy was quite the brat at times. I had to keep him in a small paddock so he wouldn't founder but the little stinker would jump into the horse's paddock to be with the big kids. This was in December and he had a couple of the big old bulky blankets on, his paddock wasn;t that big and he would trot to the lowest board (at almost 4 feet) and jump into the field with Thank Heavens and Under the Sun. I would peek out a little later and see him, open the window and yell at him. He would then gallop to the fence, jump back in his field, put his head down pretend to eat, then look up at me as if to say "what's the matter, I'm just here eating?". But he was great at the shows and all business!! God forbid you ask for a lead change, he was insulted and would buck. Just let him do it himself.

amble
Jan. 9, 2003, 01:08 PM
I believe it was Gwynned Silver Seal, who was previoulsy owned by the Guyers and shown by Alyssa Guyer. Findeln Stud produced many lovely ponies. I wish I had been able to attend the dispersal sale a few years ago.

Small Change
Jan. 9, 2003, 01:38 PM
tackpud - I would love to hear more! My guy was a grey named Findlyn Robin. We bought him when he was 18, and retiring from the big leagues. I think that pony taught me more about riding that any human coach I've ever had. He also literally saved my life when we fell through a creek bank, and he taught me all the ropes in the show ring. He was put down on November 6, 1999, since his tendons in his front legs were becoming extremely "loose" (most likely due to all the miles he logged as a show pony. We didn't want him to go down in the ice and snow and not be able to get back up, nor did we think it was fair to keep the old boy (32 or so at the time.) in all winter. He's buried under his favorite crab apple tree in the pasture...

I miss him so much, and get all choked up just thinking about him. I wish I appreciated him more when he was around... Not that I didn't appreciate him, mind you; I just didn't realize what a pony-of-a-lifetime he was!

Tell me more! I love hearing about Findlyn ponies. If you would rather email, my address is in my profile.

Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping -Julius Hare

Small Change
Jan. 9, 2003, 01:41 PM
Also, just how do you spell Findlyn/Fineln???

amble
Jan. 9, 2003, 02:17 PM
The correct spelling is Findeln and one of the most prolific stallions from Findeln Stud was Findeln Blue Danube (GlanNant Limerick x Waiten Blue Feathers).

EquusArtist
Jan. 9, 2003, 02:23 PM
I can't get over how big this thread got! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm having so much fun seeing all of the old names: Zim's, GlanNant, Farnley, and Shenandoah. Talk about a blast from the past!

I still can't get over people remembering Flintstone. I just about fell out of my chair when I saw how many people remember him. To me...he was just plain ol' Flintstone. Weird, weird, weird. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

amble
Jan. 9, 2003, 03:07 PM
"Equs Artist" I finally found some old (and I mean OLD!!!) photos of Flinty - I have to figure out the scanner and will email them to ya!!! I found another taken at "Winter Haven" (I think...) in the small or could be medium pony hunter U/S - many old great ponies in this one, but I cant recall who they are! (except two of them). Cheers!

EquusArtist
Jan. 9, 2003, 03:26 PM
OMG!!!! COOL!!!!!!

I'll have to figure something out with the rest of my Flintstone photos. My husband has disconnected the scanner and totally re-arragned the computer room so you can't hook up the scanner. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Maybe I'll take photos of the photos I have and see how that works.

Men...ya can't live with 'em and ya can't shoot 'em!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Tackpud
Jan. 9, 2003, 03:58 PM
Small Change -
I'll have to go back through some scrap books and see if I can pull the memories out. Nancy was focused on driving at that time and she had two great ponies that drove as a pair - Casino and Blue Denim. Casino was an older guy with perfect manners and Denim was a younger brat who spooked at everything but pulled great! We had some babies at the barn that summer too - they were so cute! That was way back during my college years so it's taxing the brain to come up with more!

ynl063w
Jan. 9, 2003, 08:47 PM
Anyone know of a pony named Battlesmoke by Coed Coch Greycloud out of Zim's Flower Drum? I owned him as a two year old in the early eighties and always wondered what happened to him. I have been lurking for awhile because of this thread and finally caved in and registered.

Silly Mommy
Jan. 9, 2003, 09:53 PM
I'm in the process of locating some photos of Flintstone towards the end if his career, and will post when I get them. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Proud member of the Sunnieflax Clique, IDAC Clique http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

showjump
Jan. 9, 2003, 10:03 PM
If memory is correct Rick Eckhart was the Currey's trainer when they had all the ponies in the 70's. When Christian moved on to jumpers he rode with Joe and Conrad.

Kennett Square
Jan. 10, 2003, 07:55 AM
Rick was the trainer with the Currey's in the early 70's and the Currey's also had at the time the Palomino pony Timeless who later retired at Rusty Holzer's farm.

Rick is still active in VA judging. I see him a lot in the summer judging the better local shows. He looks great.

diKecnadnuS
Jan. 10, 2003, 08:14 AM
Does anybody know anything about the stallion Farnley Carillon or the mare Shenandoah Rhinestone??

My medium pony was by Farnley Carillon and out of Shenandoah Rhinestone...he was foaled in 1980 and I think was towards the end of Farnley Carillon's career as a stallion?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif (or at least i've been told)

Since both ponies were before my time I've had trouble finding info about them from the 'current pony people'

amble
Jan. 10, 2003, 11:48 AM
Hi there - both ponies were foaled at Farnley Farm & Shenandoah Pony Stud, White Post, VA.

Farnley Carillon, foaled in 1970, was sired by Downland Drummer Boy and his dam was Farnley Belladonna.

Shenandoah Rhinestone was foaled in 1964 and was sired by Farnley Lustre and her dam was Farnley cufflink. She was owned by Ascard Pony Stud - The Lappicolas out of Wisconson and was shown successfully on the welsh circuit and produced many lovely ponies.

EastersMom
Jan. 10, 2003, 02:00 PM
Back to the Currys...The chestnut pony that Stephanie rode was my old pony, Popover Kid. If anyone knows what became of him later, I'd love to hear. Her twin sister rode another VA pony named Marengo in those days--a palimino gelding. Does anyone know if the girls are still showing?

schmoe
Jan. 10, 2003, 02:04 PM
One of the Curry girls, I think it is Francis, rode the black horse Big River in the Amateurs in the late 90's and then showed him in the Adults. I think that either she or her sister have daughters that show and train with Tom Wright. I believe that her married name is Briggs.

kalclt
Jan. 10, 2003, 02:24 PM
I am not sure when she was foaled. I believe she was palomino. She was the pony I used to ride ma. The pony I rode was foaled in '79 so I am guessing she would have been a pony of the 70's.

Appendix- "The Best of Both"

Thalia4Welsh
Jan. 10, 2003, 07:15 PM
Hi dikecnadnus,
What was your Carillon X Rhinestone pony? We were showing at the Welsh of Wisconsin shows when Farnley Carillon was still showing and he was the pleasantest stallion - would stand in a group of ponies at the ingate and doze off, then go in and jump well! He also went sidesaddle! His youngsters usually won the futurities. For years he was at stud at Asgard, lived with Mary Miserak for awile, and after he was no longer fertile (at an advanced age), went back to Asgard and passed away just a few years ago - having had an excellent life.

Shenandoah Rhinestone by the famed Farnley Lustre (you prabably know Shenandoah is Hetty Abeles, dau of Joan Dunning at Farnley) showed some in Wisconsin and then lived a very long life as a broodmare and then retired - I think was over 30 when she finally passed away.

Thalia4Welsh
Jan. 10, 2003, 07:23 PM
Nancy Benitz Bedford's Findeln ponies are carrying on today - largely thru Findeln Blue Danube's son, Gayfields Vida Blue who is at Ed and Marilyn Checki's Hillcrest Acres in WI. Vida has been third in the USAE pony htr sires ratings the past two years - most of the Hillcrest prefixed ponies are his as well as a number of others like Blue Suede Shoes. Some of his older ones withchanged names are Farnley Gayfield and Snuggle Up.
Blue Danube is also the grandsire of Strike A Pose (Rosmels Blue Reign). I could go on and on!

Vida is 26 this year I believe and still an elegant pony! He is pictured in the last COTH stallion issue on p 183 I believe. Is also in Encyc Brit as the Welsh pony example.

amble
Jan. 10, 2003, 07:35 PM
Hi ya "T" - I cant believe it took me so long to find out about the "70s" pony discussion. So many ponies I used to show with.... goodness, Melissa is at the age when I started riding! Yikes! Cheers! "D"

amble
Jan. 11, 2003, 06:10 AM
Another stallion carrying on the Blue Danube line is Chloe Olympian from Clovercroft. Many of the Clovercroft ponies on the circuit are Blue Danube grandkids. The Blue Danube mares are wonderful gems and here at my farm, I am fortunate enough to have one here, a lovely and grand old mare, CC Echo.

North of 49
Jan. 11, 2003, 07:24 PM
Does anyone remember the large pony mare Picturesque? I believe Liza Towell was champion at Washington International in 1992 on her. I have her as a brood mare and am just curious to find out more info on her as I didn't know her while she was showing. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ponnies
Jan. 11, 2003, 07:49 PM
OtterRidge Checkmark? Anyone know where she is? Is she doing well? We started her out after buying her at the pony finals auction. Sharon Hardy had a jr show her for my clients, as a green. After another year she was sold and stayed in the area(N.J. PA.) and did very well. Havn' seenn her since.

Perfecting Welsh/Crossbred's of Color at: "Crystal Acres Ponies " Major Fox, Foxen, All Dressed Up, Tower in Lights...

Lord Helpus
Jan. 12, 2003, 07:52 AM
I read the first couple of pages when this thread started, but have not read the intervening pages. But last night I actually had a dream about Katz Leib http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif, which reminded me of her daughter, Melissa's fancy pony, Miss Hein II. Sorry if she has been mentioned before.

buryinghill2
Jan. 12, 2003, 09:35 AM
Forgive me a long story...
I was skiing the other day, and thinking how much I wanted to do one of those intense womens 4-5 day clinics sometime soon. I went from the ski area to the dentist. Don't worry this story is getting to the "ponies of the 70"s" topic! Anyway, while I was doing the usual waiting thing, I picked up one of four SKI magazines that were on the table. I opened it in the middle, directly to an article about someone I knew at Fairfield when we were kids. Kim Riechhelm, that had Polaris Make Believe, is a very well known extreme skier, that runs clinics for women at Crested Butte. I emailed her, and I'm going to go out next winter! Any other BB skiers that want to join me? It's so wierd the way things happen. I hadn't thought about her, other than on this thread, for twenty years. I never even see SKI magazine. If I hadn't happened to pick up that magazine, I never would have known about this.
So that's what happened to Kim Reichhelm, for those that were wondering, and I will be seeing her next winter in Colorado!
Check out www.skiwithKim.com (http://www.skiwithKim.com) if you are interested.

showjump
Jan. 12, 2003, 10:27 AM
Remember back in the 70"s, Tamera McKinney. I think she was from Kentucky. She was a famous skier also. I can't remember the name of her ponies, maybe Buckeye Taffey was one of them.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 12, 2003, 12:58 PM
Kim Reichhelm! I used to ride her mother's (Bobbie Lu) horses in the late 80's. She let me use one of them to do the CHJA finals and the NEHC finals. She got remarried, moved down to Stonington, and sold the horses. What a super lady.

buryinghill2
Jan. 12, 2003, 01:33 PM
Kim's Mom was a nice lady. I asked Kim in my email how her Mom was, but she didn't mention her in her return note to me.
I should be getting a brochure for her ski clinics by snail mail this week.

LaurieB
Jan. 12, 2003, 02:29 PM
One of the Kentucky McKinneys' (as opposed to the Connectciut McKinneys) ponies was Storm of the Glen. I believe he belonged not to Tamara but to her brother, whose name might have been Maclean?

hopefulhunter
Jan. 12, 2003, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know the whereabouts or what happened to a large pony named Little Eclipse. He was in North Carolina for many years, and may have been in Ohio at some point. He was notfamous, but was good boy and took care of his riders. Any info would be appreciated.

amble
Jan. 12, 2003, 06:51 PM
Hi Showjump - yes, one of Tamara's (or as I remember,"Tammy")ponies was Buckeye taffey. After Tammy, Taffey was my younger sisters pony. Loved his funky roan color and wonderfulface markings and socks! After we stopped riding, I think he was injured or kicked in a pasture and later retired with the Eblehares in Fla. I think Tamara had an older sister, Sheila, but gosh, I cant remember off the top of my head, the pony she showed.

amble
Jan. 12, 2003, 06:55 PM
Hi Danagrt, Wow, I remember Kim Reichelm showing Polaris Make Believe before Shelly Guyer! How funny how these names all come back. I must have shown around the same time as you too!!! Extreme skiing...... plain old downhill is my limit. Cheers.

buryinghill2
Jan. 12, 2003, 07:34 PM
Downhill is my limit as well. The clinics are for skiers of all levels. That's why I want to go, I'm trying to break out of the common, "intermediate rut".

Hunter_Rider
Jan. 12, 2003, 08:19 PM
Kennet Square: Who did you ride with as a Junior, and who do you ride with now? We must have been showing around the same time and at the same shows!

Lord Helpus
Jan. 12, 2003, 08:26 PM
There are 4 Kentucky McKinney sisters: Tamara, Ouisha, Laura and Ann(?) There may also be a brother, but I have never heard of him.

Laura is a bloodstock agent.
Ouisha helps Laura and also makes the NEATEST custom knit hats/sweaters etc. If you want an unusual present, talk to Ouisha. She also handpaints gorgeous tiles.
Ann? (I think that is her name) trains some racehorses that she owns
Tamara is not around KY much. She must have taken the skiing route.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm an organ donor. Are you?

SpartanVirtue
Jan. 13, 2003, 08:53 AM
Tamara McKinney & Skiing....first American woman to win overall Alpine World Cup championship (1983); won World Cup slalom (1984) and giant slalom titles twice (1981,83).

A great rider too!! living now I believe in Utah.

SpartanVirtue
Jan. 13, 2003, 09:02 AM
Oops...sorry living in Squaw Valley, CA

Kennett Square
Jan. 13, 2003, 10:17 AM
Hunter Rider,

I never really had a trainer until the 80's and out of the juniors. When I rode I did a lot of the local VA shows and went by myself. That was the time when you did it all yourself. I showed a lot against Denise DeRiso-Perry, Tara Reynolds, Gary Short, Kathy Broaddus, Scott Kellor, etc

In the 80's I rode with Dale Crittenberger and Peter Foley as an amatuer. Right now I teach at Cavallo Farm and take all my precious pumpkins to mostly local VHSA Assoc shows and about 5-7 select A shows.

Who did you ride with?

EquusArtist
Jan. 13, 2003, 12:51 PM
I rode with Roger Young Stables up in Mendon, NY before they had that bad stable fire and they moved to Camden, SC.

Then I rode with Bob Crandall and Hunter's Run Stables in Big Flats, NY. I think Hunter's Run is no longer around.

I didn't show much after the ponies. I did large ponies and then I got a Quarter horse/TB cross who had never had a saddle on him...he was just for fun. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Then off to college and I haven't been on a horse since. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

(editing because of a mind cramp on where Roger Young's stable used to be and who my trainer at Hunter's Run was)

[This message was edited by EquusArtist on Jan. 13, 2003 at 03:07 PM.]

amble
Jan. 17, 2003, 06:57 AM
My trainer while showing "ponies in the "70s "was primarily the late Wayne Carroll. We showed out of Secor Farm and Elmwood Farm. I also rode with Jane Eblehare in Fla. I have ridden and trained with others, but thats "after the 70s" (LOL)..... now, its much later (I'm much older_ and I'm content to breed ponies from the bloodlines of the Ponies of the 70s! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

crystalacresponies
Jan. 17, 2003, 10:30 AM
AMBLE-

Do you still have that beautiful grey mare, Cinderella? She is just lovely. My old pony Foxen competed against her in 98, for breeding awards. What a nice broodmare she should be for you...Drool. I love those old bloodlines you're using. Always checking out your foal page.

"Crystal Acres"
Home of Major Fox, Tribute In Light, All Dressed Up, and Foxen the Pony Princess!
www.underthepinesfarm.com (http://www.underthepinesfarm.com)

amble
Jan. 17, 2003, 10:51 AM
Hi Crystal Acres, thank you for the wonderful compliments on my grey mare. Yes, she's a keeper and actually my daughters pony now. She had an adorable colt by Triple Hill who I still have. He is now 3. Cybie is a grand daughter of Shenandoah Moonstone (no suprise.... a pony of the "70s )and by the same sire as my stallion. Here is a photo of her taken a few years ago
Are you going to the zone 2 Banquet?

ponnies
Jan. 17, 2003, 04:42 PM
CrystalAcres Good eye as usual, Amble You and i must have been at the same shows. I'll Have my sis scan a photo of my ponies from the old days, Farmington ETC... cant spell - guess i should turn on the keyboard light,Huh?

Perfecting Welsh/Crossbred's of Color at: "Crystal Acres Ponies " Major Fox, Foxen, All Dressed Up, Tower in Lights...

amble
Jan. 18, 2003, 07:52 PM
Ponnies - yep, must have been at the same shows. Farmington/Children Services - great show.... I think I"d always sneak off and get cotton candy at the little fair part! Oh, what a sticky mess! I think it helped me hang onto the reins better! Cant wait to see your old photos! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lula
Jan. 19, 2003, 03:47 PM
Does anyone remember a 13h chestnut gelding by the name of 'Small Talk'?
Showed rated in VA. and did the local shows at SouthDown & Deerfield. Pony Club extrordinaire, also famous for walking through creeks, immediately lying down and rolling, with, or without rider http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
This was in the early thru mid seventies?

diKecnadnuS
Jan. 23, 2003, 08:54 AM
thalia4welsh, my pony was ASGARD RHINESTONE COWBOY...its funny you say that about his sire falling a sleep and what not...i have countless pics of "cowboy" and i both asleep at the ingate!! I rode him bareback standing on his back, in tack, foxhunted him, took him swimming, rode western, side saddle, and taught him how to go out of the starting gates at the racetrack--he did everything. won the model, was consistent enough to win over jumps, and won the hack!!

He was an AWESOME pony!!

Lars
Jan. 23, 2003, 10:11 AM
Does anyone remember a pony named Munchkin? He was a small. I got him in 1980 in Colorado. I don't know where he was before but they estimated that he was 18 when we bought him. He was the greatest first pony. I did the small pony division at the A shows and then he taught my brother to ride before we retired him. My mom always told him that all he had to do was teach her two kids how to ride and then she would retire him. We had some offers on him, but she never sold him. I would love to know if anyone had him before I did.