PDA

View Full Version : Anyone employed and looking for a new job?

vacation1
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:09 AM
I need to find a new job. The current one is inadequate both financially and professionally, and the company is truly vile. But it's incredibly hard to motivate myself to look. By the end of the day, I'm wiped out. By the time the weekend comes, I'm wiped out. Working in unpleasant surroundings for unpleasant people in an unpleasant company is just incredibly draining.

How the heck do people look for a job when they're already working full-time? I was very good at job-hunting when I was unemployed, and could pace myself. Now that I basically have to cram it in, it doesn't get done. Help! Any tips, hints, etc., for motivating myself are welcome.

Slewdledo
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:14 AM
Yes, yes, yes! I just applied internally for a job (which required a BA which I don't have, was I surprised to be interviewed!) which I don't think I will take if offered because the raise would barely offset the gas to get to a different location AND it would be a much bigger time commitment.

So I am stuck, too. I come home, get in my pajamas and start reading, most of the time I don't have the energy to even take the dog for a walk.

Tips most welcome. I empathize. :)

Natalie A
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:35 AM
Me too! Have a decent part-time job now, but do not know if it will transition to full-time or not when the new fiscal year starts. I started it in January and it's not exactly what it was advertised as and I'm not completely happy. Part of it could change if it goes full-time and thus changes a bit... we'll see. So I'm looking and applying but not as obsessively as when I didn't have a job at all!

pompeiii
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:19 AM
I recently got a new job when employed. I hated my job (well, the environment and my boss, but I enjoyed the work) so I had that motivation. What I did was apply selectively. I only applied if I knew it was a job I really wanted. Otherwise, I didn't have the time or motivation. I was in my old job for just over a year and during that time I applied to 3 jobs. I got a phone interview for one (never offered a second interview--hired an internal candidate), an in-person interview for the second (got that job and accepted), and was offered a phone interview for the 3rd (I turned it down as I had just accepted job #2). When I was unemployed, I applied for hundreds and only got a handful of interviews. I find it's easier to get work when your working, at least in my field. I also found being super selective of what you are applying for is also important and saves the time of sending out too many applications for jobs you don't want/aren't qualified for.

In my case, I wanted out, but I didn't want to end up in a similar situation that I was in. In my case, location, salary, and atmosphere/environment/promotion potential were deciding factors in what I applied for. If the job met 2 of the 3, I'd apply. 1 of the 3? Probably not. I ended up accepting a job with lower pay (but saved myself 75 miles of a commute), but had lots of promotion potential and regular raises. If I can make it a couple of years, I'll likely be making what I was making, if not more. I'd still be where I was with the other position if I stayed.

CVPeg
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:47 AM
Currently unemployed - have been for a year, and chomping at the bit. Did some traveling and visited family when laid off, as I figured once I get back to work I wouldn't be able to again.

Job search is horrible. Am older, and a previous business owner, so they're not hiring these days. Had a phone interview Friday - the gal was probably about my son's age (23), and she might as well have been blowing bubble gum the way she talked - this is for a semi-professional position for a large company - it's obvious the personnel depts these days are not using the brightest, this company had lots of openings so I have a feeling they were clearing out the old, and bringing in young & new, and the salary offered was less than I made at the low paying office manager job I was in working with recent SO.

I've sent out hundreds of resumes, but last year a good friend suggested I open my own business again. A bit too volatile financially - needed the unemployment, so I've hesitated. But I began getting the licensing in the fall, and when this interview came up, I decided if it didn't fly, the business goes forth. That will mean the end of my unemployment, and an initial worse drain on my already quickly disappearing savings.

But the interview was so demeaning, I thought I have to do something to save my sanity. Am so sick of the condescending attitude and the lack of consideration during some interviews.

What got me through, though, was having an alternate plan if "this one" didn't work.

When sprucing up my resume, or beginning again, I do something positive first - watch an inspiring movie - go for a good blood pumping hike. (For some reason coming back from riding doesn't do it for me - because then I get thinking about the horse/barn/usual worries). :eek:

I also used to use Monster, but they've been awful lately, so recently found a list of the best job searching web sites - the top are Indeed, Simply Hired, LinkedIn, and CareerBuilder. Here's the list I found - http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/294523/the-10-best-job-search-websites/1

Good luck - really helps to get the mood change - a walk, a brief change of scenery, perhaps even a short car ride, helps. It's tough for so many right now - you are not alone, try not to let the turkeys get you down, and come here for support! :)

belleellis
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:26 AM
I had the old job 7 years. It had progressively gone down hill as a company. Benefits cut (no 401k match, $600 a month for insurance for 2 health 30 year old adults), pay cuts, more hours (65hrs a wk at least), ect. I finally snapped one day and realized it would never get better. It started out great and I loved the people but it went higher up than that. I had looked on and off over the last 4 years but like you I was so beat down feeling that I did not put much into the job hunt.

The snap made me get out. I finished up end of month work and that weekend I literally sat down opened up the resume and did 4 versions of it depending on what type of position I was applying for. Every Wed (before work) and Sunday I would look at jobs on Craigslist, Monster, Hot Jobs, the newspaper. Also when I first decided I was leaving I emailed everyone I knew letting them know I was looking for a new opportunity and included my resume. Since old work was nice enough to give us a week off without pay I took mine immediately. One before I just up and quit (or got fired as my attitude had had it!) and two to network. I meet 5 recruiters in that week. I did get about 4 interviews from them, plus a couple of phone interviews that did not lead anywhere. The job I ended up taking I found on my own on Monster. I took a 10% pay cut but WAS IT EVER WORTH IT! I work 40 hours a week unless it is end of month, 401k match, small bonuses, health insurance is $375 (and literally covers everything with a tiny deductible). Plus I have the opportunity to travel the world with this company if I play my cards right. Everyone is so nice and respectful to one another at the new place that I still can not get over it. I left a work from home job to drive 18 miles one way and have to dress up. I have not regretted it one single day!!!

If this will motivate you it took me 2 months to get a job. 2 months for a huge life change. I now ride 2 nights a week after work which I had not had time to do for at least a year. I know someone else who started looking and got a new job in 2 months also. The market is trying to pick up. Now is a good time to get serious about looking.

Perfect Pony
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:20 AM
I just started a new job 2 weeks ago. I was looking while I was employed with the old one, I just used my cell phone and called recruiters back as I had the time. I did phone interviews at lunchtime, and did not schedule an in person until it was a job I thought I wanted. I scheduled my in person interview for 8am and just scheduled a Dr appt on my calendar.

I actually left a really good job, but a toxic atmosphere. It was hard to even articulate what I hated so much about it, but working there really made me depressed. After 4 years there I just could not see myself being there any longer, even with a promotion on the table. I didn't want to become one of them!

I took a contract job for more money but longer hours and a longer commute, it's been tough. But I am happier and there are much better opportunities ahead of me, and at least I now have some hope things might be better. At the last place it just kept getting worse.

Good luck!

bits619
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:44 AM
I am as well. My job is enjoyable enough, and there are plenty of positives. It's about 11 minutes from my house, basically the only employer in our tiny town. I interact with people but am pretty much on my own as far as other coworkers- i do my own thing and maybe once a week or less actually have direct 'orders' from management that i have to respond to. I've been able to take vacations during the non peak months, which is nice. I'm outside, which has its plusses and minuses of course, but every time I go into a shop or store and am under those flourescent lights, i am glad I'm not working there.

I am, unfortunately, not very good at budgeting or tracking my income when most of it is tips and very highly variable, like it is now. That is making my job search difficult- in that I'm not sure really how much I DO make when all is said and done. And right now, it'd be mad to leave this job, it's the busiest time of the year and I'm making 20-60 dollars an hour. Truly none of the jobs I'd be looking for can compete with that. BUT the slow season is always just around the corner, which makes me nervous.

Also, my job isn't good for moving up the ladder. Maybe within the company, but it'd be a different job entirely.
It's also not a "real job" according to many people, my parents and the rest of grown society included. The flak I get for that, plus the embarrassment for being my age (almost 27) and working a job most of my customers mistake for a 'summer job' or even ask, "what do you do for a job?" "um, buddy, you're frikkin looking at it. I'm not doing this for my health!" Ugh, i hate that.

It does have pretty good health insurance benefits though, and that is what keeps me going here.

I really don't know what I'd like to do instead. When I look at or think about other jobs, it's very hard not to immediately think of the things I'd probably hate about it.

I donno. I should take the time to do the calculations for what I'm really making, and what I'd be happy to make at a different job.

I think the worst advice I got about working was from my careers instructor/Counselor in college actually! He would say you spend one third of your life at work- so find a job that you love. I ascribed to that thought for a while, but really am beginning to doubt it. OK so I've done jobs that don't pay for crap, but I've enjoyed.... But still, having no money sucks. What if, just what if, a job was well paying enough for me to put up with not loving it? What if the pay check was REALLY nice? Man, I wonder what that'd be like!
Hard to actually make that happen, though. Don't think I have the degree/experience to get myself a well paying job. Hmm.

I am fortunate to be able to job search while I have another job. Job searching/unemployment is the FASTEST route to uncontrollable anxiety for me.... Ask me how I know!

mswillie
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:27 AM
I am not now, but when I was, I was able to adjust my schedule to work Tuesday through Saturday leaving me one day a week to devote to job hunting/interviewing.

Can you take a day or two of vacation time to get a good resume together? Set up Monster and Career builder accounts. Once you have a good resume (you can tweak it for more specific types of jobs) it shouldn't be as difficult to browse jobs and target those you're interested in.

If you're not a good resume writer hire someone to help you. A strong resume is what gets you to an interview.

It took me about 8 months but the perfect job did come up. Almost 7 years later and I still love it.

Good luck.