PDA

View Full Version : You're too close....

vacation1
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:48 AM
Have people's idea of personal space contracted recently? I've noticed in stores, when I'm in line at the register, I'm forever discovering the person behind me is right up my back. It's everyone - men, women, teens, old people. I'm getting to the point where I want badly to "accidentally" ram someone with a pointy elbow to get some breathing room. And I mean, they are that close that if I take just one minor half-step back, I'm on their toes. When did people start hovering so close to each other that you feel like you're being cased for a pickpocket?

The worst situation is people with kids or dogs (at pet stores), because then the parent/owner is up your back, and the kid/dog is beside you, under you, in front of you. I'm fine with kids and dogs, but I don't really want to pet/admire either, or have either sniff/lick/nudge or otherwise physically touch me. They're minors/animals; they should be relatively contained in your personal space, not mine.

Tapperjockey
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:58 AM
YES!!!!!! Good lord it's annoying! or if you are like grabbing something off a supermarket shelf on the lower and someone reaches from behind above you. Lately that's been happening to me too. I backed up into someone yesterday (the store was a total zoo) and he glared at me. So I glared right back. Grrr. And people cutting in line lately. One lady tried to schooch in yesterday, and I said, "I'm in this line" (at the deli) and she's like.. "oh I just need a couple things" and I go "me too" and didn't let her in. She was behind me, and I heard her ordering a bunch of stuff.. all i wanted was some chicken salad.

Slewdledo
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:17 AM
A coworker is a toucher. She'll touch your arm, knee, back to help illustrate what she's saying. I am a DO NOT TOUCH ME. I flinch whenever *anyone* human touches me.

People also don't move when they're in your way. Yesterday I was in the store and this old lady stopped in the middle of the store right behind all the checkout lines and was just standing there looking around. I finally went around her and she was still just oblivious. As an elderly person, she had a built-in excuse but the younger people are just as bad and disrespectful to boot about getting out of the way.

ohrebecca
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:16 AM
In the cafe of my old work, there was no real clear "delineation" of where the line started. When I was standing in line, I'd stand at least a few feet back from the person at the counter, because I like my privacy so I like to award it to others, too. And there's a debit machine on the counter for entering your PIN, so, you know, I don't like people to think that I'm watching them type their codes in. But there have been SO MANY people who stand up right on my a$$ when I'm at the counter, that I have had to ask them to MOVE OVER so I can freaking use the debit machine. Common sense, people!

Also, at the registers on the salesfloor, people sometimes rush up to the register even though the person ahead of them has JUST finished signing the receipt or is grabbing their keys out of their purse. I've had a few rudesters shove their purchases at me over the other person's shoulder. Holy hell! People also like to stand really close to our salespeople when asking for help. I can hear you fine, you don't need to be in my mouth.

I was eating out at a buffet yesterday with my mom and this family had their little girl in a booster seat in the aisle by us. Totally fine. What was not fine, however, was when the woman went to get the kid out of the booster seat, she picked her up and swung her feet around so that the kid's feet knocked into my water glass and spilled it all over the table! Freaking awesome.

I'm all about personal space. And I'm pregnant so I'm not looking forward to the random belly-touchings that will come when I start really showing. I'm going to build a cage around my midsection.

alterhorse
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:38 AM
At the supermarket I once had an older man from an adjacent checkout lane walk over to my groceries in the area they put your stuff before it's bagged, and the guy started to pick up my items and handle and look at them.

I had to tell him to stop it, I couldn't ever imagine doing that to someone else.

wendybird
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:38 AM
It's well known that people who live in cities have less room, so have a smaller 'personal space' than country people who stand well away from each other - a couple of metres is quite common. Even in small towns a a metre is common. When I was in Tokyo I often felt uncomfortably crowded and jostled, but no-one else seemed bothered.

Bluesy
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:05 AM
I need lots of space! I will often back away from people that get too close. I am a manners whore when I deal with horses - and they are not allowed within arms length of me (unless they're invited;))

Wish I could fling my arm out to some people and bonk them if they're too close, haha.

dressagetraks
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:27 AM
I've definitely noticed it. Folks also in line have an "anticipatory surge" when my groceries have finished being checked and the cashier presents the total. Um, folks, I'm still standing here at the electronic pad PAYING for them. Your cart/kid does not need to jump forward to take that space in front of the electronic pad. It's not your turn until I have COMPLETED paying for my items. I don't waste time about it, either, but it's amazing the number of people behind in line who will advance, often straight into me, as soon as my total is announced.

Mags
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:56 AM
I've definitely noticed it. Folks also in line have an "anticipatory surge" when my groceries have finished being checked and the cashier presents the total. Um, folks, I'm still standing here at the electronic pad PAYING for them. Your cart/kid does not need to jump forward to take that space in front of the electronic pad. It's not your turn until I have COMPLETED paying for my items. I don't waste time about it, either, but it's amazing the number of people behind in line who will advance, often straight into me, as soon as my total is announced.

This drives me nuts. If their pushing me out with the cart I put my hand on it and push it out of the way. I was bagging my groceries one time and this guy behind me had moved up so far the cashier told him the total. She thought we were together. He got real confused when I thanked him for paying:lol:. He didn't get that he was in the my space. I finally had to tell him to "back up, your in the way, I can't reach the key pad"

I also hate when the kid bagging leaves finger divits in the half or quarter watermelon. I try and bag my own things. Nothing pisses me off more than finding the bananas under canned goods.:mad:

abbbalonian twist
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:59 AM
YES!!!!

I NEED my personal space! When I was joining a soriorty (which didn't last long :lol:) the first night after you signed their book, you had to go around the circle and give each girl a hug- there was like 40 something girls- none of which I knew at the time! My family are not big "huggers" to begin with and in my mind I was like "b*tch I don't know you!!" :lol: My family knows how I am about my personal space, and they died of laughter when I told them about that one!

In stores I generally don't have too many problems with that; I must give off that vibe....:cool:

rmh_rider
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:04 AM
Yes, hate to be stood close to by those I do not know.

Yes, and do not touch me either.

Gosh we live in a huge country, move away from me.

Also hate when people are close and they stink. If I can smell your STINK you are too close.

What is that song about . . . don't stand so, don't stand so close to me.

Also from Bill Cosby: Stop touching me!

TRUE.

Step awayyyyy from my personal space. Dang, what do I have to do, buy a parelli carrot stick, oh no I know, I need to wiggle their lead rope for them to move out of my space. I think I would just rather kick them with my hind leg, pin my ears at them, swish my tail at them, sling and snake my head and neck at them - oh I pretty much do that now when they get too close. ha ha. Just kidding. But I do give the evil eye at times. I also just move away from them.

MunchingonHay
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:50 AM
I have noticed that too, and people tailgating like a B*$CH! everyone is in such a rush, I am more important than you-hurry up!
Its not so much that people are standing closely, that I can tolerate, its the "pushing" I cannot stand.

BravAddict
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:54 AM
Someone hovering behind me in line? Casually back up a pace or two and bump into them, or step on their toes.

Someone leaning over me to talk? This mostly happens at social situations when people are drinking, and I am either already on a peer-basis with them, or never going to see them again. In this circumstance, I have put my finger in the middle of their chest and pushed them backwards. Smile. A lot of times they don't even need to move their feet for me to feel less crowded. Men - well, women too, I guess - and cats have this in common: the more you give off "go away", the more their curiosity is piqued.

With dogs, I do not alter my trajectory. As any horse person will tell you, claim the space, including that you intend to occupy.

On the other hand, I live in Boston, where people are not too eager to touch you. A midwest-raised friend was in town recently and spoke to every. single. person. in every. single. elevator. I admired the floor.

bits619
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:57 AM
I have two new assistant managers. One is a close talker and the other is a touchy person. Close talker will go from 20 feet away to about two feet, toe to toe just to finish the world's quickest conversation. Arm's length, man!!
The touching guy isn't inappropriate, just annoying as all heck. I feel like an idiot giving another grown person a high five... Please don't make me.

I generally don't mind people in my space if we're all doing our own thing, busy, occupied. Like strangers walking down the street in the city, no problem. Coworkers all crowded by the shop register, bumping into each other, reaching across, fine. But the standing in line idly (is that the spelling?! Looks weird), doing nothing but all in my bubble- no, please and thank you! Makes my neck crawl. Euaaagh.

twotrudoc
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:57 AM
Brav, I'm with you. I do the same. Yes, I have punted dogs.

At the store in checkout, if I feel the inching/rushing coming on from the person behind me I will purposefully step towards them. It works the same with horses, they'll move. Put an elbow out, slide your cart back, whatever.

supershorty628
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'll say something if someone is getting to close to me repeatedly. I was in a sling for about 2 months this winter after having shoulder surgery and had one incident at my university where this girl kept bumping into me. After several dirty looks didn't get it across, I finally snapped at her to BACK OFF and kindly observe the fact that a) she was in my personal space and b) I'm in a sling, so if you don't want me to start screaming from pain, back the eff off.

Takes a lot to get me to snap, but when I do...

PaintPony
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
I can't stand having people I don't know touch me or get in my space.

When I am in line somewhere and someone gets too close to me, my trick is to swing my purse over my shoulder. I carry huge purses, so if you get hit with it you should back the hell up!

And I have no problem "accidentally" elbowing someone either.

Once in the train station in NYC this guy got so close to me in line that he almost shoved me down the escalator. I gave him an elbow to the stomach and told him to back the eff up.
(I had a terrible hangover and was in no mood to have stinky strangers up my ass)

And my boss loves to come up behind me and touch me on the shoulder before she starts talking to me. (my back is to the entrance to my cube) I asked her to knock, but I ended up putting a rear view mirror so I can see who is coming.

There's nothing like being engrossed in your work (plus I listen to music with headphones) and having someone sneak up and scare the sh*t out of you! :confused:

TheJenners
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:37 PM
How about this gem Friday at the post office: I'm in line holding three large packages. The line is very obvious, and there is a sign indicating where to wait to be called. I stepped forward and sideways a half step to admire a picture on the wall (they are different just about every time I go in). It was obvious I did it to look at the picture, seeing that I was staring at the thing from about a foot away and leaning. I take my half step back and SLAM INTO the lady behind me. Hard. She must have been standing within inches of me for it to cause that sort of force. I whipped around and while my mouth said sorry, my face sure said something else. Like, are you seriously going to stand right behind me like that, what is your problem?

ESG
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:21 PM
No, it's not your imagination, and yes, it's getting worse.

The most memorable instance of someone invading my space is that a woman in WalMart actually paid for my very substantial (at least twenty items :eek: ) order, because she just couldn't wait to get up to the cashier to order her two cartons of cigarettes. :rolleyes: Must have been a serious nicotine fit, is all I can say. On second thought, I think she was either drunk or high, because it resulted in the cashier having to void and re-ring the entire sale, twice, because the fizzlewit paid again. Never been so p!$$ed off in my life at a total stranger. :mad:

twotrudoc
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:24 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Opus1
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:56 PM
I must give off a hell of a vibe, because rarely do people get within my personal space. Although, once I had a coworker who would stand so close to me, I could feel his body heat on me. It was gross. He was gross. So, one day, I took out my Zippo, lit it, placed it on my desk and told him if he didn't get out -- and stay out -- of my personal space, I would set him on fire. He didn't do it again.

And by coworker, I mean supervisor, although he was an idiot.

Linny
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm not super touchy and while I will do the "hug/air kiss" with people I have not seen in a while I hate that kind of familiarity with strangers. A few weeks ago I was out with a friend and we ran into a woman that she was friendly with and asked her to join us for a while. I had never met her. She was very nice and chatted with us for about 30 minutes and when she left as I was saying that it had been very nice to meet her she hugged me like I was her long lost best friend. Uh... awkward...

I do find that physical closeness is far more within the comfort zones of certain cultures. People who emigrate to the US from crowded places (Asia, parts of India and the Mid East and even European cities tend to be culturally more inclined to being very near to strangers. American city dwellers are also far more comfortable being very near to strangers than their country cousins.

Renn/aissance
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
I had a lady get right up on my back in line at the bank. Seriously, come on, stop looking over my shoulder. She looked genuinely aghast that I said "I need you to please step back, I am uncomfortable with you looking over my shoulder." Don't know if she didn't realize she was in my bubble or she was just shocked I said something.

Guin
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:33 PM
I'm all about personal space. And I'm pregnant so I'm not looking forward to the random belly-touchings that will come when I start really showing. I'm going to build a cage around my midsection.

Good luck with that. Wait til you have the actual baby and RANDOM STRANGERS will swoop in like vultures to grab and poke the baby. This upset me so much when my kids were babies that I'd say, loudly, PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY BABY. Sometimes I would have to push their arms away! You'd think I was telling them to eff themselves in the ass. People actually talked back to me and told me *I* was "overreacting." NO, I am NOT. I don't want whackjob strangers grabbing my baby!
I suggest carrying a TASER in your shopping cart.

tasia
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:42 PM
I hate when people are in my bubble!!

bludejavu
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:55 PM
I carry my purses generally with a shoulder type strap and in the last few years, those purses are continually being bumped by people. They're absolutely not large purses, pretty average sized in fact, but it makes me very uncomfortable when they do this. Also, just last week, a woman in the checkout line at the grocery store allowed her 4-5 year old daughter to stand and hang on the front of my cart the entire time her items were being rung up. The little girl meant no harm but it also meant that until she moved, I couldn't start unloading groceries at the end of the counter. The mother never once looked to see where her daughter was, just paid, called to her to come one and rolled her buggy away!:no:

Cashela
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:00 PM
We have two people at work who like to invade your space. One gets in your space when talking to you, you take a step back he takes a step forward, super annoying.

Another guy I had to move my desk around because he would come over to talk to me and when he did he would invade my space and lets just say his uhm package was right practically in my face. And honestly, I don't think he realized he was doing that.

amastrike
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:49 PM
I don't go out much, so not a problem there, but it does bug me at work. My coworkers are pretty good about knowing that I don't like them hovering, but sometimes it happens (mostly the boss, and I can't exactly tell her to get away from me). Patients like to lean over onto my desk. I would purposely only open my little window partway to make it hard for them to crawl in on top of me, and they would open it more! So I stuck a piece of wood in the track so the window can't open too far :lol:. But still, they'll lean on the ledge and as far over my desk as they can. They also try to look at the computer screen when I make appointments, and I make a point of turning it so they can't see. Not to be a witch, but because they don't need to see patients' names and any other information that might be up.

Meh. I hate having people on top of me. It makes me very very cranky.

Long Spot
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:56 PM
Good luck with that. Wait til you have the actual baby and RANDOM STRANGERS will swoop in like vultures to grab and poke the baby. This upset me so much when my kids were babies that I'd say, loudly, PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY BABY. Sometimes I would have to push their arms away! You'd think I was telling them to eff themselves in the ass. People actually talked back to me and told me *I* was "overreacting." NO, I am NOT. I don't want whackjob strangers grabbing my baby!

When we go to a restaurant the host or hostess always tries to give us a baby carrier stand/sling thing. We always decline and ask for a booth. That way I can slide the carrier in and sit on the outside. Anyone who wants to try to touch him has to go through me first. When they are sitting out there in a sling...they're bait for the touchers.

I've noticed the personal bubble getting smaller too. Drives me crazy.

Capall
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:22 PM
When my girls were babies, it was super annoying to go anywhere because EVERYONE had a million questions about them. They are fraternal twins. People would first assume they were a boy and a girl (they were both wearing pink but both bald with some peach fuzz) and in the same breath ask if they were identical. I could always predict what people were going to do and say. It took 3 times as long to shop because of having to talk to everyone who wanted to talk for 5-10 minutes. Of course, they had to tell me all about the twins they had known, and then proceed to give me advice on how to raise twins. Even if their only experience with twins was that they went to school with twins in kindergarten 40 years ago...

Now that they are older, and really don't even look like sisters (really they didn't as babies either but it was more obvious they were twins then) only a few people ask if they are twins. One is a few inches taller, light blonde hair and big blue eyes. The other is medium blonde, slighter built with big brown eyes. But I was ready to tell people to eff off when they were babies. I don't know how many times I had to dispel the 50,000 twin myths out there. And even though I tried, many insisted I didn't know what I was talking about and that because their 2nd cousins twice removed that lived in another state that they only met once in 1973 were twins that they knew more than I did. Ah, people.

CatOnLap
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:46 PM
and while we're talking about it, why not use your words?

Someone is too close to me in line at the bank or store pin pad? I make eye contact, smile and ask if they can please back off a couple of steps as I will feel more comfortable entering my security code. It has never failed to get a polite smile, a "oh sorry" and two or three steps back.

Backing up into someone? elbowing them? why be aggressive when words will do? Most folks who do not respect a larger bubble do not mean to bug you. Its just the way they were raised is different from you. In many places, the personal bubble is non existent culturally and literally rubbing elbows is not considered rude.

EqTrainer
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:02 AM

Bwahaha, so true.

LMrEqT was a truly gorgeous baby, blonde curly hair, big blue eyes, he was precious. Everyone wanted to touch him! I had to yell at people to STOP!!! And he loved it.

LMEqT looked like a pygmy marmoset and was antisocial. Her pediatrician actually called her feral. No one wanted to touch her! She still has an enormous space bubble :lol:

xeroxchick
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:08 AM
Those iPhones and droids are partly to blame. People just stare and peck with no awareness of the people around them. Recently I was staying at a large hotel in Miami. People would just stop at the top of stairs, stop right outside an elevator, bump into you, etc. all while staring at their phone. Like real-life zombies. I even saw a whole table of young adults out on the town, seven of them, and none of them were interacting with each other. Not one talked to another let alone make eye contact. It was all with the pnone.
And they walk really slow which is also annoying.

Canaqua
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:33 AM
Yes, I like my space too! Even when I lived in the city, though being crowded in with strangers was unavoidable on rush hour subways...most of the time, though, there is no need for people to get so close.

The people who crawl up my butt when we are in a line get their toes stepped on, because I MUST suddenly shift my weight to my other foot...whoops! Not kids, though, I don't mind them (or dogs), it's adults who are big and who should know better who bother me. Same with coworkers who stand too close or touch, I back up out of their space and give them a "look" if they pursue me back into my space. One guy does that, he'll stand practically toe to toe to have a conversation, I'll back up to gain my 3 feet back, he follows...I don't even think he's aware that he's doing it and he annoys the crap out of me. I'll give him a disapproving look, sometimes he picks up on it sometimes not, if he doesn't I say "excuse me" and leave telling him to send me an email with whatever work thing he wants to tell me about.

Mara
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:43 AM
I have a co-worker who will SNEAK up behind me while I'm seated at my desk, typing away on my computer, and stand there trying to make conversation. I mean, I can practically feel his breath. He's older, and a very sweet man. Also very sensitive so any rebuke will result in serious hurt feelings. It makes me so damn jumpy to have someone right behind me and I can't see them! I'm thinking about putting in a mirror so I can see him coming.:lol:

spurgirl
Apr. 9, 2012, 06:17 PM
I thought I was the only one who'd been noticing this! I find "pushies" to be the worst at the grocery store. I tend to use the handheld scanner these days, so when I go to the check out, all I have to do is run the scanner, my store card, and pay.

About seven times out of ten, if a person is gets behind me, they start "creeping", like breathing right on me, or worse, pushing their cart right up to my heels. One woman a few weeks ago actually hit me from behind with her cart. Not hard, but I was pissed. I said, "Do you mind backing off? I'm still standing here, and I will be glad to move when I'm done with my transaction-or would you like to pay for my items?" She apologized and backed off.

The other ones are the old ladies at the deli line, who want 6 slices of provolone, 2 slices of ham-not too thick, 2 slices of turkey, and 2 slices of whatever...I've had several try and jump the line. I say (Loudly), "Excuse me, I've been standing here several minutes. I believe I'M next, since I'm WAITING."

Years ago, I actually had one older woman (like 80 YO) say, "Oh, you see, I'm just so so busy", to which I retorted, "Yes, As you can see, I have a toddler here, a kindergartner I need to pick up in 20 minutes, shopping yet to do, get to the sitter's, and THEN go to work, of course, I'M not busy right?" She didn't say anything after that, and slunk back to her place in line. Thank God the store has the numbers system now....Geesh.

Somebody shoot me if I turn into a pushy old bag...Ugh!

threedogpack
Apr. 9, 2012, 06:24 PM
the grocery store is awful. I've taken to putting my cart between me and the person behind me. Push on that Impatient!

threedogpack
Apr. 9, 2012, 06:29 PM
So, one day, I took out my Zippo, lit it, placed it on my desk and told him if he didn't get out -- and stay out -- of my personal space, I would set him on fire. He didn't do it again.

And by coworker, I mean supervisor, although he was an idiot.

laughed right out loud! Yes I did.

kookicat
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:03 PM
laughed right out loud! Yes I did.

Me, too.

I've had people actually leaning on me. I'm only little, and I hate being touched, so it really grates.

Gray Horse H/J
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:34 PM
At the supermarket I once had an older man from an adjacent checkout lane walk over to my groceries in the area they put your stuff before it's bagged, and the guy started to pick up my items and handle and look at them.

I had to tell him to stop it, I couldn't ever imagine doing that to someone else.

OMG, this happened to me at Walmart. I had all my groceries on the belt and I was behind a man and his son. Kid had to be about 7 or so. Kid starts picking up all my stuff and examining it. I was about to ask him to stop when his dad turned around. So of course I'm assuming his dad will tell him not to touch other peoples' groceries...which is not what the dad did. Dad started picking up all my stuff as well - "Oooooohhhhhh, Triscuits, excellent choice! Oooooohhhhh what's this, Rice Chex?! Awesome! Ooooohhhhh, bananas!..." I kid you not. I just stared in disbelief and just as I was about to say something, the cashier, who was also staring in disbelief, called to the guy to come pay for his stuff. It was totally obnoxious.

People at grocery stores are the worst. I cannot stand people all up in my space, and they seem to do it most when buying groceries.

Canaqua
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:05 PM
the grocery store is awful. I've taken to putting my cart between me and the person behind me. Push on that Impatient!

The grocery store puts me in a bad mood in general. My solution is to shop on Sunday mornings by 9am. Most other people around here are at church or hungover (or both!), so it is QUIET! No lines, no one pushing me out of the way to check out the produce, no one asking me to get stuff off the high shelves for them (I'm 5'10"), no men asking me what their wife meant when she put XZY on the list, etc... Yeah! Peace and quiet and SPACE.

naters
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:15 PM

If I ever get knocked up I can assure you of two things:

1. It was an accident.

2. If people reach out to touch my belly, I will automatically put a hand on their butt or their nether-regions. That should teach them.

Guin
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:22 PM
2. If people reach out to touch my belly, I will automatically put a hand on their butt or their nether-regions. That should teach them..

HAHAHAHAHA!! What an excellent suggestion. I wish I'd thought of that at the time! Brilliant! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

JoZ
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:04 PM
I had a kid in a restaurant walk by my booth and reach out to TOUCH MY PIE. I had to reel in my gut reaction which involved a utensil and ninja-like speed. Adult said "Johnny! The lady doesn't like that!" which of course set me apart from the legions of ladies who welcome a grubby little fist in their desserts.

And speaking of restaurants, what is up with letting a kid turn around in the booth and stare at the stranger facing him or her in the next booth? I now say "Turn. Around. NOW" and so far I haven't faced parental wrath. Probably because I can be pretty scary at low volume.

For the person who mentioned people crashing into her when she was wearing a sling -- I'm happy to say my experience was the exact opposite. The sling was a godsend to get people out of my way, as of course it should be. My arm was broken in a way that made a cast impossible, and it HURT. I would have yowled had someone crashed into it.

I actually wore that sling every time I had to be in an airport for about three years after the break was officially healed... first because a long day of carrying even a purse could make my arm ache again, then later just because!