PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your phone while driving?

amastrike
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:14 PM
Do you text/talk while driving?

twotrudoc
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:16 PM
Yes, I have SYNC in my cute little neon margarita colored Fiesta. I also have talk to text but mainly I try not to misdial various folks because I am still not to sure how to hang up.

LexInVA
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:18 PM
I have hands-free Bluetooth earpiece and speakerphone options available to me in my vehicle.

sk_pacer
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:20 PM
I have a Bluetooth earpiece but still rarely use it and now it sits in the console, completely dead. I MUST remember to bring it inside and charge it up again. If you are caught with a phone in your hands whilst driving, it's a 200.00 fine or more

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
Nope. I try to minimize distractions while driving. I usually don't listen to the radio (occasionally I do tune in to the channel .. preset 1.. that has driving conditions), don't eat, and try to minimize drinking (anything, not just alcohol) while driving as well. I also don't put on make up, shave, and generally minimize conversations.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:23 PM
I have a Bluetooth earpiece but still rarely use it and now it sits in the console, completely dead. I MUST remember to bring it inside and charge it up again. If you are caught with a phone in your hands whilst driving, it's a 200.00 fine or more

i had not heard that, everyone here is on the phone while driving, except in school zones.

jump4me
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:23 PM
Talk, yes. Text, no way. I couldn't text and drive with this phone if I wanted to! Needs 2 hands to type without dropping it.

FalseImpression
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:26 PM
Never.
I can't stand the blue tooth in my ear and it hardly ever worked anyway.
It is illegal in Ontario to hold a phone/any device while driving. You could even be ticketed if you pull over to make a call. I was told the engine has to be turned off or you are considered to be "driving".

sk_pacer
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:49 PM
i had not heard that, everyone here is on the phone while driving, except in school zones.

In most of Canada, it is illegal to have your hands on a phone - must be hands free or nothing.

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:53 PM
In most of Canada, it is illegal to have your hands on a phone - must be hands free or nothing.

I think that's how California's law reads too... but I didn't pay too much attention to it. My cell phone is generally on low vibrate, in my person and under the passenger seat while I'm driving, if someone else is in the car.. or the straps are buckled up to the lap belt on the passanger seat if no one else is (I don't like loose objects that can fly to be in the car either lol).

Unfforgettable
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:55 PM
I use a Bluetooth hands free box that clips to the visor. No earpiece needed.

RedMare01
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:57 PM
I talk on the phone frequently and don't find it a distraction. Never had an accident. I would never text though. That's just asking for disaster.

CVPeg
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:04 AM
Talk on the speaker phone on long trips when little traffic. Text on the back roads between the house & the barn. BO's preferred method of communication is texting, and I cannot do it from my house.The biggest concern being deer!

tpup
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:08 AM
Try not to. I have a friend who keeps her phone in her purse in the BACK seat so she isn't tempted. Thought that was a good idea. :)

sophie
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:25 AM
Wow, that poll is scary, so many people driving and texting and talking on the phone!

I don't text. Period. Not even when I'm not driving.
I won't call anyone when driving. I wouldn't even if I had a hands free device in my car, as I think it is VERY distracting to be talking on the phone. It is not the same thing as to be talking to someone who's in the car with you.

I have, on occasion, answered my phone in an emergency, but only to say that I will call back when I'm not driving.

A good friend of mine got into an accident because she was texting. She was very lucky that day. She could have been killed and could have killed someone.

tabula rashah
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:31 AM
Yes to both- I can text without looking at the keyboard and I usually only use short answers like no, yes, ok. It's not legal in MD but it doesn't seem like most people actually follow it.

lifesabreeze
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:37 AM
Yes to both- I can text without looking at the keyboard and I usually only use short answers like no, yes, ok. It's not legal in MD but it doesn't seem like most people actually follow it.

You have to look at it to read the question you are answering yes,no,ok. I hope you and all the other "text while driving" people never kill anyone with your ignorance.

tabula rashah
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:43 AM
You have to look at it to read the question you are answering yes,no,ok. I hope you and all the other "text while driving" people never kill anyone.

And how is that any different than looking at the radio or the GPS screen or a map or at something that caught your eye outside. Good drivers are good drivers, crappy drivers are crappy drivers. I have never had an accident (unless you count the guy that ran into while I was parked, engine off) and I don't plan on it.

lifesabreeze
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:45 AM
And how is that any different than looking at the radio or the GPS screen or a map or at something that caught your eye outside. Good drivers are good drivers, crappy drivers are crappy drivers. I have never had an accident (unless you count the guy that ran into while I was parked, engine off) and I don't plan on it.

Because you have to concentrate on it to read it. It is not a casual glance. Most GPS units have audio for a reason. Do you read a book while you drive too? Heck you could just do a couple lines at a time. :/

Chief2
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:54 AM
I know of one man who not only talks and texts on the phone while he is driving, but also works on his laptop while he is driving as well. He is a mortgage broker for a large bank and spends a lot of time on the road. Makes you wonder where it is all going to stop.

I don't do any of it. Too distracting and dangerous.

bumknees
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:12 AM
I talk do not text. I have a blue tooth. I used to not have a blue tooth and was vey good at talking while holding onto phone. Then I had to teach ds how ot drive.. I could not hold onto dash board, and phone at the same time got blue tooth...

I text about as well as I type so yeah not a good idea and with auto correct you can imagine what my texts look like... Lie a drunk monkey on good drugs... SO I text as little as possible. though there is a thiny on my phone that dh claims I can talk to text but who knows I have not tried it yet maybe one day when I have nothing else to do I will.

MunchingonHay
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:35 AM
I will not answer a phone call while driving, but I will use the navigation on the phone.

I do not call people or text. only if I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, and that is not really driving, its sitting in my car on the road. :lol:

Curb Appeal
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:52 AM
Talk, yes, if I am in my van. I can't talk and drive in the manual transmission very well. I have a bit of a phobia of talking on the phone, so I rarely do it anywhere. I prefer to text or email.

I will read and respond to texts, but only at stoplights. If I need to do something that requires more than a couple seconds of my time I will pull over.

LauraKY
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:53 AM
Interesting controversy on the studies used to determine that cell phone use while driving is extremely dangerous. It appears that some of the studies used were flawed in the design.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2011/12/government-calls-for-total-ban-cellphone-use-while-driving-but-what-are-real-risks/ivkwTYUnJiFHeneppbUHfK/index.html
(http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2011/12/government-calls-for-total-ban-cellphone-use-while-driving-but-what-are-real-risks/ivkwTYUnJiFHeneppbUHfK/index.html)

lifesabreeze
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:04 AM
Interesting controversy on the studies used to determine that cell phone use while driving is extremely dangerous. It appears that some of the studies used were flawed in the design.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2011/12/government-calls-for-total-ban-cellphone-use-while-driving-but-what-are-real-risks/ivkwTYUnJiFHeneppbUHfK/index.html
(http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2011/12/government-calls-for-total-ban-cellphone-use-while-driving-but-what-are-real-risks/ivkwTYUnJiFHeneppbUHfK/index.html)

From that article:

"And no question, we should avoid fumbling with our phones while at the wheel. “Texting and dialing is dangerous while driving and shouldn’t be performed under any circumstance,” Young said."

Reynard Ridge
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:10 PM
I mostly bike to get places ... and I have been known to answer my phone while biking. :uhoh:

I never text though. Can't imagine staying upright while doing that.

Highflyer
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
I have trouble walking and texting :)

Punkie
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:20 PM
All of my cars are Bluetooth enabled and two of them have a text read-out feature. I spend a LOT of time driving (I live in Ocala...everything is 30 minutes away LOL), especially traveling to and from horse shows. I have no issue talking on the phone using my Bluetooth system. I also love listening to audiobooks and jamming out to my iPod. I can also speak into my phone to text someone back, so if it's just a quick "yes" or "no" or "Ok", I'll use the voice-to-text feature. It's a push of a button on the side of my phone. I don't have to go stumbling for it. So yes, I make use of electronics when I drive, but I do so using all possible safety features.

ReSomething
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:23 PM
I talk on the phone frequently and don't find it a distraction. Never had an accident. I would never text though. That's just asking for disaster.

About the same here - though my DD will text me as I am driving, say to pick her up. If I really want to answer, which generally consists of "quit texting me, I'm driving!" I either pull over and text or talk.

I do find answering to be a pain since I don't have bluetooth or a hands free, so sometimes I just ignore the thing till later.

Brookes
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:28 PM
Never ever text or talk, I'm a big enough menace on the road without being distracted. I will pull over to make a call or take one, never while driving.

We had a 17 year old girl locally run over and kill a small toddler while she was busy texting her friends. That's all it took was 2 seconds and the child was dead. She has to live with that for the rest of her life, was it worth it? The family that lost the child are friends of ours. Their child is dead because some self important person thought that their life was more important than keeping her damn eyes on the road. I implore all of you nothing is that important ever that you don't pay attention to your driving.

Our electrician had his wife and baby killed by someone texting and driving. She was in the cross walk crossing legally when some guy (40 years old) was texting his girlfriend about their dinner plans.

That is 3 people that were killed by someone texting in our city that I know of. That is 3 people too many!!

I see many saying what good drivers they are and that texting or talking doesn't bother their driving skills so to speak. I hope you are right; because the ramifications of being wrong could kill someone else. If you want to kill yourself because a text just has to be answered go for it. But please don't maim or kill anyone else. That is just purely selfish.

sophie
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:54 PM
I see many saying what good drivers they are and that texting or talking doesn't bother their driving skills so to speak. If you want to kill yourself because a text just has to be answered go for it. But please don't maim or kill anyone else. That is just purely selfish.

^^^This.

I just can't believe that people try to justify texting, reading, etc. while driving. That's just outrageous to me. Just looking at a GPS is borderline, the way I see it. Driving is inherently dangerous, and you are just adding to the danger big time while doing it. I don't care how "good" a driver you think you are. if you're not looking at the road, you put yourself and others at risk.

BasqueMom
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:58 PM
Yes, I talk while driving but use a Bluetooth, always! The new iphone 4 has
a voice feature so I press on the earpiece, say call so and so or call such and
such number and viola. No swiping, and fumbling around on the screen to get
to the number. My old flip phone was far easier to deal with until now.

If in heavy traffic or pulling out on highway, calls go unanswered. Call my mom a lot while I've got a stretch of highway driving to do. If it's customers,
it's either call back or pull over if possible.

Drives me nuts folks with phone to their ear and not paying attention. Some never check what's going on on the "phone" side.

And texting, nope, never, nada!

mswillie
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:11 PM
When I see someone on the road driving erratically, drifting to the shoulder or across the center line, not maintaining a relatively constant speed, etc. I would estimate that 90% of the time that I can see them they're talking or playing with a damn phone.

You may think you have it all under control and that you've got this multi-tasking driving talking on the phone thing all covered, but believe me, you don't. I've avoided quite a few accidents because I'm watching the person who is too busy with their idle chit-chat to pay attention to the road.

I wouldn't care if you were only a danger to yourself or your family. But every time you're gabbing on the phone you put me and my loved ones in danger.

I drove for many years without needing a phone and I don't see why anyone is so arrogant as to believe that they are so vital to the universe that their useless chatter is more important than my life.

I carry a cell phone. It's great to have in case of an emergency. If I absolutely need to talk I pull over in a safe place to do so. It's not tough to do.

JohnDeere
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:22 PM
I do. Shoot me. Round here no one thinks you can drive without a phone at your ear! And theres not a safe place to pull off unless its an exit. People get killed here a lot when someone hits them on the side of the interstate.

However I drive on the interstate a lot and by the time I get 1/2 way home theres little traffic. I will talk then. Leaving the city? Not a chance. Bumper to bumper going 75. Speed limit is 65. Then you got people merging into this madness on short ramps made for little traffic going 55. Or ramps going up a steep hill. Someone should have lost their job over that one.

This summer it will become ilegal to do that here so I will need to find something for my phone. Ideas anyone? Ive got a Motrola Droid.

twotrudoc
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:33 PM
Any smartphone is bluetooth capable. They also all have voice features (iPhone being the most limited in ability, capability and customization).

Fords have SYNC which is superfly, no bluetooth to mess with, you talk through your cars speakers and use voice commands. I love mine.

BuddyRoo
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:50 PM
I talk. I drive nearly an hour each way to and from work and that's my time to catch up with people.

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:22 PM
Just wanted to make a point that I only answer my phone while driving, because I don't need to look at the phone to answer it.

Yes, that means occasionally I answer some stupid telemarketer or automated crap, easy enough to hit end call when that happens.

I do not read text messages while driving.

If I need to make a call or text, I either pull over, or hand the phone to a passenger to have them do it.

Bluey
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
Most everyone here talks on the phone while driving, but the traffic is not that heavy in most places.
In the city traffic, I do good enough to get around, much less try to talk on a phone, so don't.
Coming and going to the city, on light traffic on highways, why not?

Now, texting is 'nuther can of worms.
Texting does take your attention clear off the road.:eek:

CatOnLap
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:00 PM
I've had a cell phone since 1988 when it was housed in a briefcase or permanently installed in the car with a handset. I've had a hands free cell phone in my car since 1993 when they first became available. Now I have a bluetooth hands free. I don't call people,even though I have a voice control that lets me do that, sometimes you don't get who you meant to call at all! I will answer incoming calls with my voice controls. I never text and drive, but I do have an app that will read texts out loud- sometimes its very funny, and is rarely useful.

I find car phone conversations are no more distracting than having a chatty person in the passenger seat. I tend to keep all the conversations short when I have to concentrate like in traffic or bad weather or at night.

I've logged over a million kilometers in my cars and have never had an accident that was my fault. I have had 3 policemen run into me in 3 separate accidents that were all their fault though. Tell me who's more dangerous?

Guin
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:21 PM
I never have, never will, text while I drive. I never call anyone while I'm driving, and rarely answer the phone if someone calls me. I'll pull over and return the call. I just can't do both at the same time.

Texting while driving is a pretty sure way to end up dead, IMHO.

She's Pure Gold
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:37 PM
I talk on my phone but using a hands-free speaker phone that clips to my visor. Most of my driving is on the highway in bumper to bumper traffic going a very slow pace so talking tends not to be much of a distraction (or, often a welcome distraction but in a safe way, if that makes sense- keeps me calm instead of getting frustrated about how what should be a 25 minute drive tends to be a 45-50+ min drive). Typically, I'm not the one weaving in and out of traffic- I keep in the same lane with plenty of space in front of me. As for texting, I will only text if I am at a complete stop (red light, or insane stop and go traffic on the highway) otherwise I'll just call someone back or wait until I get to wherever I'm going.

Wayside
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:15 PM
I'll answer the phone if I feel it's safe to do so - on a long straight stretch of road with not much traffic, stopped at a red light, stuck in traffic, etc. And I make the conversation very brief. I have been known to answer the phone, say "Is it an emergency?" and then say goodbye if not.

Now my husband, I could strangle. Talks on the phone while driving all the time. And it bothers me, so I'll often refuse to talk to him while he's driving, and then he'll call one of his friends to chat with instead :rolleyes: :mad:

amastrike
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:31 PM
I talk, but only on speakerphone. Not because it's easier to drive, but so it's not obvious to any cops that I'm on my phone. (My car has bluetooth, but I haven't gotten around to setting up my new phone with it... well, it's been 5 months, not so new now.)

I do text. And go online. But most of my driving is easy, empty roads. I don't text in traffic. If I have to say more than a few words, I wait until I'm stopped.