PDA

View Full Version : "Where Are They Now"?

Pages : [1] 2

Alex Trebek
May. 17, 2002, 05:52 AM
I hope this will be an interesting sequel to the Jeopard and Double Jeopardy threads.

Ever wonder what happened to that famous junior rider or professional that used to win EVERYTHING and then dropped off the face of the earth? Maybe he or she is still riding somewhere in some godforesaken corner of the world (like Utah /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Please identify where they are and what they're doing, if you know. I'll start:

Debra Baldi

Genie Grigsby

Frank and Joann Houston

Scott Nederlander

Joe Bradner

Alex Trebek
May. 17, 2002, 05:52 AM
I hope this will be an interesting sequel to the Jeopard and Double Jeopardy threads.

Ever wonder what happened to that famous junior rider or professional that used to win EVERYTHING and then dropped off the face of the earth? Maybe he or she is still riding somewhere in some godforesaken corner of the world (like Utah /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Please identify where they are and what they're doing, if you know. I'll start:

Debra Baldi

Genie Grigsby

Frank and Joann Houston

Scott Nederlander

Joe Bradner

Reggie
May. 17, 2002, 06:05 AM
Debra Baldi is married to Doug Matz (Michael's brother)

Piper
May. 17, 2002, 08:45 AM
Great topic.

Whatever happened to the Horner girls from Atlanta?

Dementia 13
May. 17, 2002, 08:50 AM
Pam Turbow?
Meg Milone?

"What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?"

Alex Trebek
May. 17, 2002, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MargaretF:
Pam Turbow? Now Pam Rush (John's wife), judges some
Meg Milone? now Meg Rhodes, still lives in Keswick, does some young horses, was at the VHSA Associate show.

"What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

buryinghill1
May. 17, 2002, 08:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PA horselvr:
Debra Baldi is married to Doug Matz (Michael's brother)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flashy Gray
May. 17, 2002, 09:03 AM
Alex, I am treading on your turf here by putting up a new name, sorry ... I also may be showing my complete ignorance because perhaps she's married and is still prominent in the horse world under another last name ...

(Oh for heaven's sake, just post it, FG!!!)

Kim Rachuba (sp????) who had the lovely Whadyasay?

Alex Trebek
May. 17, 2002, 09:09 AM
Please - you are NOT treading on my turf! I hoped this would be an ongoing thread where others would submit names as well.

Some more:

Joe Quattrochi

Terry Thorn

Kim Rachuba (Williams?) has a barn in Md. I think, where she still teaches and trains.

Dementia 13
May. 17, 2002, 09:13 AM
Kim Rachuba is Kim Williams, I believe she's trainer at Willow Wood in MD. Didn't the Firestones retire Whadyasay?

Joseph Quattrochi, that's a name from the past! He had Wilde April, and some ponies too.

Alex Trebek
May. 17, 2002, 09:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MargaretF:

Joseph Quattrochi, that's a name from the past! He had Wilde April, and some ponies too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please, MargaretF, you've been sipping alternative beverages with disreputable jumper riders from Md. too long, it was Wylde April, and Chardonnay, or course! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dublin
May. 17, 2002, 09:29 AM
Kate Chope
(Just finished reading National to National, A Year on the Show Jumping Circuit and must admit that that name doesn't ring a current bell for me)

Alex, is the Terry Thorn you're referring to originally from Oregon? I competed against one who was successful in both jumping and eventing, and was chosen to participate in a USET trial at Gladstone of riders across the country, back in the 70's. If it is the same person, I always wondered what happened to him??

Coreene
May. 17, 2002, 09:31 AM
My best laugh of the day so far, I thought it said "Horny Girls."

Piper
May. 17, 2002, 09:34 AM
Coreene, but all us girls from back then were horny girls!!!!

Dementia 13
May. 17, 2002, 09:35 AM
Kate Chope is a vet now. I think I read that she had in the past, or just did judge the New England Eq. finals? It was in the most recent Chronicle.

Alex Trebek
May. 17, 2002, 09:46 AM
No, the Terry Thorn I'm referring to worked for Jimmy Cantwell, Barbara Camp, and others, after a successful jr. career in Va.

dublin
May. 17, 2002, 09:47 AM
Thanks for that update, Margaret. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks as well, Alex. I still wonder what happened to the West Coast Terry Thorn?

[This message was edited by dublin on May. 17, 2002 at 01:18 PM.]

kd welden
May. 17, 2002, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure about both of them but I know that Helen is married, has two children, trains, and foxhunts. Her husband is a small animal vet and also foxhunts. I'm not sure if Helen shows but she still rides as well as ever!

Not sure about her sister... but I think I heard that she's still showing???

Piper
May. 17, 2002, 10:12 AM
kd welden, thanks for the update on Helen. Where is she living? Those 2 ladies were some of the top junior riders of their day. Seems like they had a HOTY one year. Anyone remember which horse?

Alex Trebek
May. 17, 2002, 10:19 AM
Helen, Fire Escape

Margaret, Imari

Sorry, I couldn't resist. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Piper
May. 17, 2002, 10:24 AM
Helen also had Evasham. A beautiful grey. Fire Escape won a class one year at Harrisburg and Helen was so thrilled she performed the "ass over teakettle" jogging in.

Weatherford
May. 17, 2002, 10:24 AM
She was not on the big circuit, but did anyone ever know Beverly Bogart?? Would love to know what happened to her.

buryinghill1
May. 17, 2002, 10:47 AM
Where are youse now?

Weatherford
May. 17, 2002, 11:19 AM
I think Philip works for Finn Casperson - I have seen him around showing sometimes. He lives in CT, I believe.

Emanon
May. 17, 2002, 12:04 PM
Kate Chope is also married to Dr. Garcia who is a visiting surgeon at New Bolton.

buryinghill2
May. 17, 2002, 12:06 PM
I saw Phillip Richter at Emerson's memorial service in December. I have no idea what he is doing though.

Dementia 13
May. 17, 2002, 12:13 PM
Wait, wasn't one of the Richter boys killed a long time ago in a horse riding accident?

Am I nuts? I swear I saw that a long time ago in the Chronicle.

Marimee
May. 17, 2002, 12:26 PM
How about Cheryl Wilson? She was an Eq. rider in the 80's, I believe that she rode with Mike Hennegan in NJ...

absotrue
May. 17, 2002, 01:59 PM
I used to work for Joe Bradner. He is one of the trainer's at Sag Pond farm in Sagaponack, NY (near the Hampton Classic). He has been there for quite some time now.

MAD
May. 17, 2002, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wait, wasn't one of the Richter boys killed a long time ago in a horse riding accident? Am I nuts? I swear I saw that a long time ago in the Chronicle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO! NOT TRUE!

Hans has a wife and family, and Philip sometimes shows in the A/O jumpers. I think he does (or did) work for Finn Casperson.

Dementia 13
May. 17, 2002, 05:56 PM
Thank you MAD!I sure didn't want that to be true. I must have been hallucinating.

MO
May. 17, 2002, 07:01 PM
Debra Baldi, gosh..I went to college with her brother Fred. Whatever happened to him?

Doesn't Debra still help put on the St. Christophers Horse show at Radnor? I used to see her there every year.

wtywmn4
May. 17, 2002, 07:15 PM
Cindy Weiner, she had all those Chimney ponies...Is she still riding, showing?

Susie Dickson? Shorty you have to know this one.

upperco
May. 17, 2002, 08:31 PM
Genie Grigsby is Genie Harper and lives in Louisiana and still shows I heard whe was at gulfport and I think at Pin Oak in Tx

upperco
May. 17, 2002, 08:34 PM
Scott Mederlander no longer rides and I think works for the family business which is theaters

laurena
May. 18, 2002, 06:20 PM
kate and jose were in the same class at penn vet - she is in ultrasound and he is in sports medicine. she still rides and shows - margie also shows her horses. i think she is bringing savannah back and has a very cool newish horse called gravity - did well in palm beach.

Bumpkin
May. 18, 2002, 06:35 PM
Michelle McEvoy?
Her daughter shows, but what is Michelle doing now? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

MHM
May. 18, 2002, 10:11 PM
Has anyone seen Heather Larson lately? I haven't heard a word about her for a few years.

hifi
May. 18, 2002, 10:35 PM
married Terry Grubb didn't she? What ever happened to Teddie Ismond? Last I heard she was in Florida?

Member and co-founder Thread Killers Anonymous

Bumpkin
May. 18, 2002, 11:07 PM
They are divorced. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anne
May. 19, 2002, 09:21 AM
Hifi, Teddi Ismond is now Teddi Harpman and has two? kids. She still trains in the Richmond, VA area and judges. Her son Chaz has been successful with ponies and in jumpers. I think she also has a daughter.

Duffy
May. 19, 2002, 09:28 AM
Joe Bradner's brother, Jeff, trains in the Richmond area still. So, I keep up with Joe's life through Jeff. Joe and I used to play together, back many years ago. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

equitationlane
May. 21, 2002, 07:28 AM
By DAN JOHNSON
Register Staff Writer
05/21/2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's 9 a.m., and Maggi Moss is right on time to meet her boyfriend with her usual gift.

Walking into barn C-1 at Prairie Meadows in Altoona, Moss pulls out a bag of carrots that immediately draws an excited reaction from the 9-year-old Apak, the first racehorse she bought, in 1998.

"He's been with me longer than any man I've known," Moss says as Apak swings his head eagerly up and down while pawing at the ground. "He is always glad to see me. He is always very happy. He demands very little. He's more than paid his dues. He's very sweet and very loving."

Just as Apak needs his carrot fix, Moss, one of Des Moines' most flamboyant and best-known lawyers, needs her horse fix.

"It's an integral part of my life, because of my love for animals and my love for competition," Moss said. "It's not as cheap as therapy, but it's the best therapy I've found in my life."

Moss grew up riding horses in hunter-jumper shows, winning three straight national championships at Madison Square Garden in New York. She was training in hopes of making the 1988 Olympic equestrian team, but then drifted away from competitions as her law practice grew.

A former Polk County assistant attorney, her private practice cases have included defending Nicole Plum, the teenager sentenced to 10 years in prison for the death of Baby Chelsea.

Moss never owned a racehorse until she bought Apak for $25,000 out of a claiming race on March 21, 1998. From that first buy, Moss was hooked. Her stable has swelled to 27 horses, and her successes have also grown.

She won more races, 29, than any other owner at Prairie Meadows in 2001 and set a track record on July 31 by owning the winners of three consecutive races. And she was the fourth-leading owner at the Aqueduct winter meeting in New York.

For all her success, Moss wonders if people dismiss her ability to pick out good horses and assume her bankroll is winning races.

"I think that people that look at me think, "She's just a rich little girl that spends more money than anybody," " Moss said. "I assure you, I probably put more work into it than most people. I read two Daily Racing Forms for 21/2 hours every night, for every racetrack. I follow every trainer and every horse that gets claimed."

Rather than breed and raise her own horses, Moss plays the claiming game, which is a bigger gamble in horse racing than wagering on a race. Every horse in a claiming race can be bought for a preset price, an attempt to keep the competition level.

A good buy can yield a great return. If the horse has a problem that isn't evident, an owner might pay a Cadillac price to buy a beater.

"Some of the best horses I have this year cost $6,000 or $8,000," Moss said.

Moss has two stables - in New York, under trainer Gary Contessa, and at Prairie Meadows, under trainer Dick Clark.

"I talk to both my trainers, Dick here and Gary in New York, every night," Moss said. "We decide what we like. Then we talk again at 7 in the morning. I do all the computer work between 10 and midnight. I look at everybody's sire records, I look up their speed ratings. I have a guy in New Jersey that faxes me all his speed ratings.

"The next morning, I talk to everybody again, about who we're going to claim. I do that from 7:30 to 9:30 in the morning, then I go to work.

"I enjoy the book work and computer work. I enjoy the study of the horses. I love that part."

And Moss has learned. The moral of Ladif sticks with her.

Ladif was a 2-year-old filly at the posh Saratoga meet in upstate New York that Moss bought for $80,000 and wound up selling for $5,000.

"The irony of Ladif is it's the one time I spent a lot of money," Moss said. "I thought I was going to get famous, and it was the biggest disaster that I've ever been around.

"It's when you get illusions of grandeur and want to get famous is when you make mistakes. I made it once and I won't make it again."

But Clark said Moss has a good eye for horses.

"She's done it all her life," he said. "The health of the horse is the important thing to her. She wants them to be healthy and not abused."

Her favorites are the veteran geldings that might have lost a step, but still have class. Apak in his youth was one of the best sprinters to race at Prairie Meadows. He stretched out in 1998 to set a 1-mile track record that still stands.

"I like the old-time solid claiming horses," said Moss, whose stable includes Apak and Cloudman, each 9 years old; Alaskan Lights and Bogatyr, who are 8; and the almost pure-white Riker, who is 7.

"They remind me a little of what I do - you do it hard, you do it long enough and you pay your dues. They're great, noble horses."

Moss claimed her most valuable fillies in New York - Above The Harbor, Delray Dew and Fair Kate. But they're not her favorites. They don't like carrots.

"I'm not fond of the girls from New York, because they're real unfriendly," Moss said. "They're very standoff-ish. Maybe they'll warm up, but I haven't warmed up to them. They can go back to New York."

Someday, Moss will go to New York, too. She raced 10 horses there last winter, but she has never been to a New York track. She first saw her New York horses when they came to Prairie Meadows.

"I had a lot of luck in New York and I loved it," Moss said. "I never thought I could be competitive out there. I always used to look at New York as being such a premier racetrack. I'd look at the owner's standings, and I'd see people like Overbrook Farm.

"It was pretty cool to see Maggi Moss in there. I thought I was just a little girl from Iowa that couldn't compete in New York, so it was really thrilling."

buryinghill1
May. 21, 2002, 08:28 AM
Where are you, Mo? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dementia 13
May. 21, 2002, 08:31 AM
That's a great question, yd. Didn't she teach Alison Firestone back in the day?

Here's an oldie but goodie for you Marylanders, anyone remember Susan Slacum and Broadax Begeebers? I used to love that name.

buryinghill1
May. 21, 2002, 08:40 AM
That's a great question, yd. Didn't she teach Alison Firestone back in the day?
Here's an oldie but goodie for you Marylanders, anyone remember Susan Slacum...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif great question. phew. finally an un-flame!
Yes she started A.G.F. back in the pony days.

Susie Slacum-Barrett lives in Southern Pines and is a GREAT horse show judge!!

Midge
May. 21, 2002, 08:49 AM
yd, when I think of Mo, I always think of Nancy,and H., and how our world is just so small. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

wtywmn4
May. 21, 2002, 08:58 AM
Bumpkin, Michele is still in Florida. Has a barn in the Wellington area, still showing, teaching. Her children now show, Dottie is doing very well. Carl Knee was working with her for awhile, don't know if he's still there..

Boy yd, are you bringing back memories /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

buryinghill1
May. 21, 2002, 09:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midge:
yd, when I think of Mo, I always think of Nancy,and H., and how our world is just so small. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nancy????????????????
H. - wow... what was his dog's name? HARPO? awesome YELLOW dog!

buryinghill2
May. 21, 2002, 09:16 AM
Wow, H. What a memory.. Brings me back to showing in New Jersey.

Kennett Square
May. 21, 2002, 10:25 AM
MargaretF,

Last I heard Mo was teaching at an "A" show barn in NY just doing lessons and local type shows. She told everyone that she was tired of hauling and just wanted to cut back.

YD, great judges don't sit at shows and chitty chat with the managers, giggle and laugh and then when the managers are not there to entertain them, talk to the people who might be sitting around them making snide comments about each contestant. All the while judging....Oh did I mention that one of the people she ended up striking a conversation with (she started it) was an exhibitor's grandmother? Yes and Susie was kind enough to make several desparaging remarks to the woman about the pony and child. The grandmother never mentioned it was her grandchild and was gracious during the "constructive critique". By the way the Grandmother was sitting about 8 rows away to her right and slighty behind her when this all happened.

This was just one thing that happened at that show... yes judges aren't perfect nor saints but please at least be professional. Email me if you want more...

Weatherford
May. 21, 2002, 11:21 AM
I thought Carl Knee died a few years ago. I may be mistaken, however /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif .

Michelle McEvoy Grubb is still riding and training on the big A circuit - I think she is based in FL. Her child/children (?) rides and does the Jr Jmprs or something like that.

buryinghill1
May. 21, 2002, 11:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yd:
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif great question. phew. finally an un-flame!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Horsesense
Cindy Weiner: at least a couple of years ago she was judging, and based in yardley, Pa.

buryinghill1
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weatherford:

Michelle McEvoy Grubb is still riding and training on the big A circuit - I think she is based in FL. Her child/children (?) rides and does the Jr Jmprs or something like that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dottie wins everything

Tofer just got out of Hazelden

Midge
May. 21, 2002, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yd:

Nancy????????????????
H. - wow... what was his dog's name? HARPO? awesome YELLOW dog!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nancy and H were a couple.

Kennett Square
May. 21, 2002, 12:15 PM
YD,

I adore you.... just others make it more difficult for me to adore....!! No flame meant at YOU!!!! Love ya best!!!

buryinghill1
May. 21, 2002, 01:14 PM
Katherine Burdsall?

(yes I WILL post that VERY EARLY picture of Melton Mowbray when I remember to do so! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )

buryinghill2
May. 21, 2002, 01:21 PM
Katherine married a horseshoer, Paul somebody. Does anyone remember the name of her first pony? A hint: He was roan.

buryinghill1
May. 21, 2002, 01:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abby:
Katherine married a horseshoer, Paul somebody. Does anyone remember the name of her first pony? A hint: He was roan.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Abby you must really be old
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

buryinghill1
May. 21, 2002, 01:58 PM
Where is Lenah Ueltzen?

buryinghill2
May. 21, 2002, 02:02 PM
Yes, it is Paul Heller. Now, does anyone remember the name of that pony?

wtywmn4
May. 21, 2002, 04:38 PM
Katherine is still in upstate NY training, selling etc...A friend has bought some lovely horses from her. Can't for the life of me remember her married name..geeesh.

Leesa
May. 21, 2002, 05:06 PM
Katherine Birdsall is now Katherine Heller. She and her husband, a blacksmith, have two children. They own Orchard Hill Farm, but are leasing it out now, she wanted to spend more time with her family.
I saw her and her family at Old Salem Farm Horse Shows the last two weeks. She still rides as beautifully as ever.

Scarlet 1
May. 21, 2002, 05:25 PM
yd,

The last I heard of Lenah, she was off to college and sold Kokopelli and the rest of her horses. I think that was four years ago?

Kennett Square
May. 22, 2002, 06:48 AM
Lenah graduated and was living in NY for a while and now, I believe, has an Apt in DC. That's what Lara last told me.

buryinghill1
May. 22, 2002, 06:58 AM
The Missing-In-Action need to check in! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Emily and Katie Wachtel?

Jenno Topping?

Alex Trebek
May. 22, 2002, 07:04 AM
Getting a lot of questions, but not many answers, huh?

Mary Jones (Murmansk)

Gail Hoenig (4-H Stables, Waiting Game, etc.)

Larry Aspen

Robby Johnson
May. 22, 2002, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by upperco:
Scott Mederlander no longer rides and I think works for the family business which is theaters<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nederlander. And this would make sense.

I saw "Rent" at the Nederlander in NYC in 1997.

Robby

"People are afraid to ask for what they want; that's why they don't get what they want." - Madonna

Sunday
May. 22, 2002, 08:12 AM
This is a stab in the dark, but isn't she working in LA as a producer? Or is that another '80s jr I'm mixng her up with.

Anne
May. 22, 2002, 08:14 AM
No, Sunday, you're right.

Midge
May. 22, 2002, 08:17 AM
yd, I laughed my fanny off when I tried to email you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Scarlet 1
May. 22, 2002, 08:29 AM
Larry Aspden-I bought a horse from him once, gorgeous farm in Virginia if we are talking about the same person. Rodney showed the horse to us over a gorgeous outside field. Later that day we saw him jump around the same outside course on a different horse, set at about 5 + feet. A film crew was doing a piece on him. He had a microphone pinned to him and was discussing the round as he jumped. He never faltered or even seemed out of breath. (At least that is how I remembered it.) I heard that Larry got more and more involved in racing and breeding to the exlusion of showing. Then I believe I heard that he eventually got out of horses all together.

MAD
May. 22, 2002, 08:43 AM
Jenno Topping: I saw Jenno's name in the credits at the end of the movie Dr. Doolittle.

What about Megan Furth? Anyone know what she is up to? When she quit riding she really quit. She gave my sister all of her riding clothes and I borrowed permanently from her a Patagonia rain coat. My theory on the borrowing permanently is that Alice would have lost it by now and I still have it - in perfect condition.

buryinghill2
May. 22, 2002, 08:53 AM
I've also wondered what happened to Megan Furth.
She was showing in the jr. jumpers at the same time as Karen and Alice. For a few years, she was almost unbeatable.

dublin
May. 22, 2002, 09:03 AM
Information from the Internet Movie Database website:

Date of birth (location)
Sagaponack,
New York, USA

Filmography as: Producer (2000s) (1990s)

1.Surviving Christmas (2003)
2.Charlie's Angels 2 (2003)
3.I Spy (2002)
4.Charlie's Angels (2000) (executive producer)
5. 28 Days (2000)
6.Doctor Dolittle (1998) (executive producer)
7.Can't Hardly Wait (1998)
8.Brady Bunch Movie, The (1995) (co-producer)

Anne
May. 22, 2002, 09:16 AM
Last I knew Megan was involved with Chalk Hill, her family's wine company.

buryinghill1
May. 22, 2002, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midge:
yd, I laughed my fanny off when I tried to email you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is Judy Martin (?) - Seahorse Equestrian(?). I think it was Rolling Hills.
Sorry I have little caffeine in me now.

elizalex
May. 22, 2002, 10:43 AM
sold seahorse years ago. she now trains all over southern california - mostly in san diego. she currently trains duncan macfarlane, sarah baldwin and many more.

Peggy
May. 22, 2002, 06:57 PM
I think Judy Martin stops by Seahorse at least occasionally for clinics. It's currently owned by Scott Hill(?). The trainers there include Devon Gibson, Christie Arbuckle (currently zoning on her maiden name) and Jenay Michou. And, yes it's in Rolling Hills Estates (close enough).

upperco
May. 22, 2002, 07:08 PM
gail Honig is married and lives in Charlottesville Va Larry Aspen is selling cars in Richmond

Alex Trebek
May. 22, 2002, 07:12 PM
upperco, any clues who YOU are? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hifi
May. 22, 2002, 09:28 PM
Tom Dembinski, and Shawn Mokehy from Kent school. And Pablo? How about Penelope Loeb, Nicole Busken, Mary Evans, Michael Dorman, and Alex Dunaif. When equitation was great!

Member and co-founder Thread Killers Anonymous. Self proclaimed fashion police.

Scarlet 1
May. 23, 2002, 03:53 AM
Are we talking about the same Larry Aspden? Did he have Meadowview Farm in Gordonsville, Virginia in the late 70's early 80's?

MAD
May. 23, 2002, 06:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by hifi:
...and Alex Dunaif...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see Alex around Bedford Village. I think she must be still involved in horses - she had talked to my brother about leasing stalls in our barn a few years ago.

hifi - do you mean Pavel from Kent School? If so, I see him at Old Salem Horse Shows.

buryinghill1
May. 23, 2002, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hifi:
... and Alex Dunaif. When equitation was great!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. still in horses. Bedford Hills, NY.

lauriep
May. 23, 2002, 07:23 AM
Still in business with Ronnie Beard. Were in PA at Edie Spruance's, but I think they stayed in Wellington after the circuit this year. Saw them both in Feb.

Larry Aspden a car salesman...you see, you really do get to your true calling if you wait long enough!
Laurie /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Alex Trebek
May. 23, 2002, 08:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lauriep:

Larry Aspden a car salesman...you see, you really do get to your true calling if you wait long enough!
Laurie /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch! And not to split hairs, but wasn't it The Meadow, rather than Meadowview Farm?

buryinghill1
May. 23, 2002, 08:44 AM
Roz and Eddie Davis?

Tobi
May. 23, 2002, 09:34 AM
How about Francesca Mazella?

Midge
May. 23, 2002, 12:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lauriep:
Laurie /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!! I thought the exact same thing but was too chicken to post. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Bet Dr. R would agree, too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Sunday
May. 23, 2002, 12:40 PM
I can't find the old threads on her. She had a riding accident last year? Maybe almost 2 years now?

I'm sure other people can comment with better information. But hopefully she has completed her rehabilitation by now.

She was riding alone, the groom found the horse back at the barn, she was laying in the ring with obvious head trauma. Can't recall what type of helmet etc.

Hope to hear she is doing well these days.

lauriep
May. 23, 2002, 01:02 PM
The Meadow was Secretariat's birthplace.

Yeah, Larry was a hoot to be around, but if ever there was a "used car salesman" mentality, he was it. I saw a lot of him while working for RJ.

What ever happened to his then-girlfriend, Patty Duffy?

Laurie

buryinghill1
May. 23, 2002, 01:13 PM
Joe Norick?

elizalex
May. 23, 2002, 01:28 PM
last i heard he was working for sam & libby edelman managing their stable.

nutmeg
May. 23, 2002, 02:52 PM
Mr. Norick is established in Holland after sojourns in Florida, California and New Mexico. The other day he was the judge at a young horse show a friend of mine rode in in Belgium. He didn't like her horse but he said her SHOES were FABULOUS.

wtywmn4
May. 23, 2002, 04:21 PM
ROFLMAO Nutmeg you are too much!!! So where do we vote ole Joey will show up next??

Coreene
May. 23, 2002, 04:39 PM
Yes, do please fill us in. She has been in my prayers often since her accident.

Duffy
May. 23, 2002, 04:49 PM
I helped unbraid Alex Dunaif's horse at The Garden, (ok, I think it was on the sidewalk, technically /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ), back in, I think 1974? What a "claim to fame", huh? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That was the same year, I think, that a few of us bunked in Katie's hotel room one of the nights. I slept-walked in my friend's mother's NY city condo the other night! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Coreene
May. 23, 2002, 04:50 PM
Some California eq riders from the early 90s, did they go on riding:

Courtney McKay
Nicole Cooper

Coreene
May. 23, 2002, 05:03 PM
Did she stop riding?

dublin
May. 23, 2002, 05:07 PM
Whatever happened to Chrissy, Tippy and Maria Bushkin, of Cristimar Farm fame? If I recall correctly, they ventured back East to show periodically, and did quite well.

But they certainly appeared to have dropped out of the show scene suddenly, after absolutely dominating in California for a number of years.

Leesa
May. 23, 2002, 05:11 PM
I was told at Old Salem Horse Show last week that Francesca was riding at one of the therapudic programs and doing pretty well.
After the extent of her injuries, this sounded to me like she was moving in a positive direction.
All good thoughts to you Fancesca.

Lord Helpus
May. 23, 2002, 08:51 PM
Last heard (which was a couple of years ago), she was back and forth to Italy, involved in the Arts somehow (I don't think as an artist, but in another capacity.)

Both she and older sister Darby became members of the board of Chalk Hill when they turned 21, so she could very easily be involded in wine making also. It would tie in nicely with the love of Italy.

Last seen she was planning on getting a jumper and keeping her hand in with the horses, though. But that does not seem to have happened. So something has come to pass which has kept her too busy to ride and show.

The older version of Megan is quite different from the young teen. Dramatic looking, with henna-red hair, she looks like she fits in to the artsy crowd in Italy. No longer the little kid I remembered who rode Rollaway and Dance Card.

MAD
May. 24, 2002, 03:55 AM
Of course this thread would not be complete without the question:

Where is Marlene Sinclair?

buryinghill1
May. 24, 2002, 06:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
I helped unbraid Alex Dunaif's horse at The Garden, (ok, I think it was on the sidewalk, technically /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ), back in, I think 1974? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HOLY S^#T. I think I was HOLDING "Smiles!"
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

buryinghill1
May. 24, 2002, 06:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtywmn4:
_ROFLMAO_ Nutmeg you are too much!!! So where do we vote ole Joey will show up next??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Biting my tongue.

Duffy
May. 24, 2002, 07:13 AM
Sandy Lovejoy and I became friends when we both worked at the barn, and rode, at St. Lawrence University. She used to ride at Coker. That's how I got to be one of the honored ones to help out at indoors. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dementia 13
May. 24, 2002, 09:38 AM
How about Amy Brumder (Traurig). If you guys tell me she's now a famous judge I am going to slink back to my corner, since I'd be what, 3 for 3 on being clueless?

buryinghill1
May. 24, 2002, 10:11 AM
Amy's marriage to Bernie Traurig ended in divorce.
Bernie married Christine [Traurig] - the G.P. level dressage rider (divorced later as well).

Amy married Scott Nunnally (Jump Crews of Virginia, Virginia Tent rental and manager of Deep Run Horse Show!). They are living happily ever after, raising their kids near Richmond. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Alex Trebek
May. 24, 2002, 10:34 AM
Barbara Butts

Susan Fubini

Terri Carnes

Charlie Wheliss

Kennett Square
May. 24, 2002, 10:35 AM
Terri Carnes - had children and working in the family business

lauriep
May. 24, 2002, 11:32 AM
are actually in Crozet, VA and have adorable twin girls, blonde and blue-eyed. She looks almost exactly the same. They just did a remodel (major) on their house. I will see her the next time I go up to visit Wendy.

Laurie

Weatherford
May. 24, 2002, 12:25 PM
Ike Griest? (Geist? I was only about 10 at the time)

I knew him when he worked at the Brady's in Far Hills, adn he had a daughter who was a really good rider who was older than me - but I don't remember her name.

Sad - she was our top B/A pony clubber - but wasn't allowed to go to Nationals because, under the rules at that time, she was considered a professional.

Thank goodness that rules has changed!

Wtywmn - do you remember him/them??

dublin
May. 24, 2002, 12:41 PM
Married with children, now living back East, and still rides and shows. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hifi
May. 26, 2002, 11:03 PM
playing this one it's fun!

Poindexter, may he rest in peace.

equitationlane
May. 27, 2002, 07:13 AM
Jessica Tuchman. Mother Pulitzer Prize winner Barbara Tuchman, author Guns of August. Rode with VHV.

Jen Marsden from Schenectady, NY. Good junior rider, rode with George.

Brook Hodgson, winner Medal and McClay.

The famous Minchen boys, Hand and Ed, I think rodw with Ted Wahl, Round (something) Stable, Greenwich.

Where is Russell Stewart. Last I know he lived in L.A. and hauled horses. One of the GREAT riders of the 60's and 70's.

Having a very senior moment, but I/m sure I can think of others.

Bumpkin
May. 27, 2002, 08:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weatherford:
Ike Griest? (Geist? I was only about 10 at the time)

I knew him when he worked at the Brady's in Far Hills, adn he had a daughter who was a really good rider who was older than me - but I don't remember her name.

Sad - she was our top B/A pony clubber - but wasn't allowed to go to Nationals because, under the rules at that time, she was considered a professional.

Thank goodness that rules has changed!

Wtywmn - do you remember him/them??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I know who you are talking about, if it is the same person I believe her daughter rides/rode and she is a proud grandmother.

wtywmn4
May. 27, 2002, 09:08 AM
Rusty's still around in LA. Rides, teaches and takes people to shows. Does more teaching than riding these days.

equitationlane
May. 27, 2002, 10:17 AM
but Russell, his father who was the best speed rider on the 60's and early 70's

Doubleeez
May. 27, 2002, 12:36 PM
Eddie lost his wife Sandy several years ago in a horse related accident. He has since remarried (to Parker Barker) and I believe they are in Southern Pines.
Hank is in the automobile business - Minchin Buick and GMC in Stamford, CT. Completely out of the horse business as we know it but deep into the "horseless carriage" scene.

geckoUBC
May. 27, 2002, 01:42 PM
I might be completely off, but I think that she is a well-known trainer in eastern Canada (possibly Nova Scotia?). For some reason I want to say that she has her level 4, but I could be thinking of someone else.

Aleesha

equitationlane
May. 27, 2002, 02:54 PM
I think that might be her as her father was Canadian and I think she went to school up there and got married. Any other news about her?

Oakleigh
May. 27, 2002, 03:02 PM
Sally Dohner
Caryl Rahn
Joey Alfano
Karen Healey (I know she is in California...)

I used to ride with all of them eons ago...

equit8
May. 27, 2002, 04:50 PM
Sally Dohner judged a horse show for me last week. She works in a toll booth on the Pa. turnpike and loves it. Still dabbles in horses.

wtywmn4
May. 27, 2002, 04:54 PM
Sorry equitationlane, but I was referring to Russell, not Rusty Jr.. Call them both Rusty...Sorry for the confusion. The younger Rusty is still showing and hauling down the road too...Russell, has slowed down ever so slightly.

And Oakleigh, Karen Healey is very much in business in So. Calif. Has a barn full of very nice horses. Lots of equitation, A/O hunters and Jumpers...

Anne
May. 27, 2002, 05:51 PM
Karen Healey and Fred Bauer were just married.

Leesa
May. 27, 2002, 05:52 PM
Brooke Hodgson is married and is now Brooke Latimer. Her daughter, Cullen, won the USET Finals a few years ago. She lives in the Westchester County, NY area.
I see her at a local tack shop sometimes.

Alex Trebek
May. 27, 2002, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by equit8:
Sally Dohner judged a horse show for me last week. She works in a toll booth on the Pa. turnpike and loves it. Still dabbles in horses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about Sally Dohner of Middleburg/Upperville, who owned horses Mike Elmore rode? Working in a toll both???!

CBoylen
May. 27, 2002, 06:57 PM
I've heard more than a few stories of horsepeople going through the toll booth and having their money handed back to them, only to look over and discover that they'd been recognized by Sally /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lord Helpus
May. 27, 2002, 07:14 PM
That is beyond bizarre..... Words fail me..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

What possible motivation could she have for choosing such a job over, say, McDonalds night manager, or being the person who gets to say "Attention K-Mart Shoppers...".

If someone had given me 100 chances to guess what Sally was doing now, I would not have even come close.

equitationlane
May. 27, 2002, 07:23 PM
The same one that worked for L.P. Take? You have GOT to be kidding.

WT4. I just have never heard Russell called Rusty. Sorry if I sounded snippy.

Oakleigh
May. 27, 2002, 07:25 PM
Sally Dohner was so good to me when I was a teen. My parents NEVER came to any horse shows. Sally took me, fed me, housed me... at horse shows. I worked as a working student (wasn't called that at the time). She made sure I had plenty of horses to ride, lessons, tack to clean (lol). I showed and rode alot of her clients horses and some of the sale horses.

My teenage years are memorable, mostly because of her! She is one classy lady!

Thanks Sally!!!

Karen Healey, Joanne Healey, Caryl Rahn, Philip Klippa and a few others of us all rode with Sally Dohner at the same time at Fox Ridge Farm. Anyone know what ever happened to Joanne Healey?

hifi
May. 27, 2002, 09:48 PM
the Freddie Bauer, Karen Healy wedding! I think it is great. I just wonder if he will move south or commute from the bay area as before.

lauriep
May. 28, 2002, 06:03 AM
I also have many fond memories of her. She was good friends with Joanie when I worked for her. Frances & Joanie would go to her farm in S.P. every winter to school and we would stay with her. We also stayed with her during Harrisburg. She and I drove a van full of horses home from N.Y. in the worst fog I have ever seen to this day, down the whole east coast. We had to switch off driving about every 1/2 hour or so because it was so exhausting.

A toll booth...nope, would never have guessed it!

So how about Patty Duffy?? Anyone know?

Laurie

buryinghill1
May. 28, 2002, 06:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oakleigh:
Joey Alfano<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shoes horses. Currently the official farrier for Devon, Harrisburg, and others.

Molly99
May. 28, 2002, 06:43 AM
Joanne Healey, now Page, still lives in the Harrisburg area, works for Verizon, rides as an amateur.

Girlfried of JOE Alfano. Joey is Joe's daughter.

Amazing to see these names as I remember them from my childhood. I was pony kid around the time they stopped riding. Looked a few CPJHSA trophies a few years ago and was amazed at the names listed.

Howabout:

Linda Will, I know she is still doing something with horses
Terry Frownfelter?? goes to the same hair dresser as me, but haven't seen her in ages.

The Minchin kid that rode with Norman?? in the early 90's??

Oakleigh
May. 28, 2002, 08:41 PM
WC Princess, when I knew JOE, he was Joey... We were both teenagers. He was such a skinny kid back then, it is hard to imagine him as a farrier, now. Must have gotten some muscles.

Great to hear how all these people are doing. It was so long ago, but it had a large impact on my life. Good to hear that Joanne is still riding.

Hard to imagine Karen getting married to Fred. Good for them! Wish them the best of luck!

buryinghill1
May. 30, 2002, 11:01 AM
Sari Burr?

Shelly Stiegler?

Alex Hindi?

Guido _____? (in-gate)

Iride
May. 30, 2002, 11:50 AM
Erika Hogg

Tracy Freels

Brooke Baldwin

Janet
May. 30, 2002, 12:01 PM
Tracy Freels is still active. She recently attended a funeral "fresh off the van from Florida" (i.e., still in blue jeans).

Sorry, I don't have any more info, except this was in NY.

buryinghill1
May. 30, 2002, 12:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iride:
Brooke Baldwin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B. Baldwin-DeGrazia
Rides, trains, lives in Cross River NY
Saw her last year at Harrisburg

wtywmn4
May. 30, 2002, 12:25 PM
yd Alex Hindi the gate/jump crew person? If it's the same, last I heard he was still living in NM. Doesn't do shows anymore.

buryinghill1
May. 30, 2002, 12:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtywmn4:
_yd_ Alex Hindi the gate/jump crew person? If it's the same, last I heard he was still living in NM. Doesn't do shows anymore.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanx /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lauriep
May. 30, 2002, 12:32 PM
Hambone
Shep
Gaither Crowder
David Deutle (sp)
Gail (Hulick's groom)

Laurie

buryinghill1
May. 30, 2002, 12:54 PM
Gaither Crowder<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Married (I was there!), kids, divorced (??)
Saw him in Florida
I think he worked for/owned a construction company that built waterfront retaining walls. But I could be WAY off. Brain fuzzy.

Kelli
May. 30, 2002, 01:19 PM
Did Karen Healey ever ride with/for Rodney in VA?

MAD
May. 30, 2002, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by Iride:
Tracy Freels <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tracy leases our barn/property in Bedford for 9 months of the year and then takes her clients to WEF in the winter. She keeps our place full and I think she has overflow up in North Salem.

buryinghill2
May. 30, 2002, 02:50 PM
Sari Burr?

Shelly Stiegler?

Alex Hindi?

Guido _____? (in-gate)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw Shelly Stiegler at Em's service and she showed me pictures of her kids. She's the same sweet Shelly, hasn't changed on bit since she had High Noon and Hi Fli. Amazing to see Shelly Stiegler and Karen Nielsen exchanging pictures of their kids. Made me wonder where the time had gone.....

Starmite
May. 30, 2002, 04:53 PM
What ever happened to Caitlin Donovan? She used to have all those ponies and now she's like gone!
~MP

*If life gives you lemons, throw them at some one!*

Lord Helpus
May. 30, 2002, 07:25 PM
Speaking of someone who had lots of ponies and then just disappeared, what became of Elyse Novick and her brother? They trained with Trudy Maxwell and had such nice ponies and one day they just weren't showing anymore.

Charis
May. 30, 2002, 07:29 PM
Their Dad was involved with some sort of a business scandal and died within a short space of time. Saw Elyse years later awarding a trophy at The National HS but know nothing about Scott.

hifi
May. 30, 2002, 09:00 PM
How about Seaweed?

Tackpud
May. 31, 2002, 05:04 AM
YD - thanks for the update on Brooke Baldwin - I was best friends with her in nursery school and kindergarden before moving to VA and wondered if she was still in NY. She's a beautiful rider and I'm glad to hear she is still at it.

Molly99
May. 31, 2002, 06:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hifi:
How about Seaweed?

Poindexter, may he rest in peace.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seaweed is still opening the gate a a few shows and I believe still works for Jan Lukens in saddlebred land on occasion.

CoolMeadows
May. 31, 2002, 06:27 AM
Last I heard of Seaweed, he was working for Randy Johnson in Maryland.

Kennett Square
May. 31, 2002, 06:54 AM
Last I heard Seeweed had cancer but it had gone into remission. He is still doing the horses in the MD / Va area from what I understand.

Midge
May. 31, 2002, 07:55 AM

Gail (Hulick's groom)

Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's the same Gail, she is living in NC and doing some braiding. She has three kids. The oldest just graduated from high school. The youngest is...ten? Want me to tell her you said hello?

lauriep
May. 31, 2002, 10:08 AM
Yes, Midge, if you would. Tell her Balbuco's mom says hi! Also, ask her if she minds my getting her address/email/phone no. so I can let her know when the next reunion is. We had many requests for her to be there! And feel free to share mine with her!

For the newbies, Gail is the one who originated the "as many braids as possible" look on James' horse, Terra Cotta.
Laurie

buryinghill2
May. 31, 2002, 10:19 AM
Gail, "Ollie" Olson, was a huge influence on me when I first began grooming. She was always helpful, did a tremendous job, and I wanted my horses to look as good as hers. Not only was she the first to put in so many braids, she was also the first one whose horses always had bright white bandages, they were spotless. I was in her aisle once, and asked her how she did it. She opened a trunk, and showed me it was full of extra flannels. Of course, it had never occurred to me to bring wraps other than the ones the horses wore to ship to the show. From then on, I did the same, and my horses always had clean wraps as well. I learned SO many tricks from Gail. Like that one, they seem so simple and obvious now, but at the time I knew nothing!

Anticipation
May. 31, 2002, 10:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flashy Gray:
Alex, I am treading on your turf here by putting up a new name, sorry ... I also may be showing my complete ignorance because perhaps she's married and is still prominent in the horse world under another last name ...

(Oh for heaven's sake, just post it, FG!!!)

Kim Rachuba (sp????) who had the lovely Whadyasay?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kim is my trainer :-) she is now KIM WILLIAMS and trains hunters, jumpers, equitation riders in woodbine, MD....does local and rated shows (mostly rated now).

Ericka
*~* ANTICIPATION *~* CAMARILLA *~*

Anticipation
May. 31, 2002, 10:58 AM
Kim Rachuba is Kim Williams, I believe she's trainer at Willow Wood in MD. Didn't the Firestones retire Whadyasay?

"What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whad was sold to the firestones and he was retired at a huge ceremony at WIHS and is now living happily in a field in VA!

Ericka
*~* ANTICIPATION *~* CAMARILLA *~*

lauriep
May. 31, 2002, 11:48 AM
Wonderful story.

Laurie

MHM
Jun. 1, 2002, 08:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex Trebek:

Susan Fubini<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dr. Susie Fubini is one of the head vets at Cornell. She has been there for many years. She is married to another vet there and they have a couple of kids.

buryinghill1
Jun. 3, 2002, 05:33 AM
Ronnie Silcox's long-time girlfriend Geralyn (?).
Wonderful woman.
Anybody know?

Lynn Batty? (Lynne?)

Tony Baxendale?

Kent Jungherr?

[This message was edited by yd on Jun. 03, 2002 at 05:04 PM.]

buryinghill1
Jun. 3, 2002, 03:35 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

luv2jump
Jun. 3, 2002, 04:31 PM
Tony Baxendale owns NYCONN horse transportation . Great company to deal with - great staff and impeccably clean rigs.!!!
Lynn Battey- married living in Westchester Co. working for a private family on a great price of property!!
LUV2JUMP

CBS
Jun. 3, 2002, 06:32 PM
Who remembers a large bay pony back in the 70's named Viff?? I cannot remember who showed her. I think Pat Dobson (sp) had her for a while.

Alex Trebek
Jun. 3, 2002, 06:39 PM
If you're talking about Pat Dodson I would remember the pony and I don't recognize that name. One of his best of the 70's was Little Ish, with Susan Coonrad. Also Sister Buchanan w/Lucille Edwards. Others, but not bays, Surprise Surprise, Little Ish - anyone else remember these? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

upperco
Jun. 4, 2002, 02:27 AM
Timmy Buchanan? The Counselmans-Frankie sp?

Janet
Jun. 4, 2002, 06:23 AM
Last I heard, Kent was running a Standardbred barn somewhere in NY state. It may have been some sort of rehab facility (horses and/or workers). But I think his nephew told me he was thinking about doing something different. I expect I will see his sister later this month, so I will ask her.

MKM
Jun. 4, 2002, 07:35 AM
anyone? I am so curious where in the world she is now.

buryinghill1
Jun. 4, 2002, 07:58 AM
How about Amy Brumder (Traurig). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amy Nunnally is showing at Deeep Run.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JAS
Jun. 4, 2002, 08:11 AM
Anyone know what has happened to the Canadian horse Votaire??? Absolutely beautiful Bay, bad boy.

AKDragooPhoto
Jun. 4, 2002, 08:31 AM
What about the Ziffs? I don't remember the kids names, just vauge memories of the kids zipping around the pony ring at Culpepper.

Ethan & Ella's Mom
Jun. 4, 2002, 08:46 AM
there a top junior rider who turned pro and then died very suddenly sitting in a chair??? I remember reading about it but I can't remember who it was...it was a few years back.

"I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay"
- Dave Matthews

"We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere."
- Tim McGraw

onthebit
Jun. 4, 2002, 08:54 AM
Christy Conard died suddenly a few years ago, and the WEF now has the Christy Conard equitation trophy that they award each year.

kd welden
Jun. 4, 2002, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ethan's Mom:
there a top junior rider who turned pro and then died very suddenly sitting in a chair??? I remember reading about it but I can't remember who it was...it was a few years back.

"I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay"
- Dave Matthews

"We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere."
- Tim McGraw
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was Christy Conard.

kd welden
Jun. 4, 2002, 09:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Starmite:
What ever happened to Caitlin Donovan? She used to have all those ponies and now she's like gone!
~MP

*If life gives you lemons, throw them at some one!*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that she's riding intercollegiate right now and I seem to remember a recent add in the chronicle showing her picture.

Molly99
Jun. 4, 2002, 10:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kd welden:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Starmite:
~MP

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that she's riding intercollegiate right now and I seem to remember a recent add in the chronicle showing her picture.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Caitlin still rides, just not with quite as many ponies. Not sure of her exact age, but don't think she is even 16 yet, so not in IHSA.

Molly99
Jun. 4, 2002, 10:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Photoequs:
What about the Ziffs? I don't remember the kids names, just vauge memories of the kids zipping around the pony ring at Culpepper.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny,

I was thinking about David the other day while remembering Deep Run. (I almost ran him over with a golf cart once when we showed in the ponies.)

He should be in his low 30's these days. I know his dad lost a good bit of money when the real estate market crashed in the 80's and the boys had quite riding by then anyway.

Any Texas (Dallas, if I recall) know the whole story? Or someone with a Tony Font connection, as I think he was the last to have one of their jumpers.

JBO
Jun. 4, 2002, 03:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kd welden:
~MP

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that she's riding intercollegiate right now and I seem to remember a recent add in the chronicle showing her picture.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're right -- I remember her doing the a/o's last year, and seeing the COTH page. Is she the one with Holly Hill (or something similar) farm? I could be getting confused, but I swear she was in my division at Devon last year!

CBoylen
Jun. 4, 2002, 03:07 PM
JBO; that's Caitlyn Venezia /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JBO
Jun. 4, 2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks Chanda - I wasn't sure that sounded quite right, but at least Kathryn and I were thinking of someone whose name was Caitlyn ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Getting senile, I suppose!

kd welden
Jun. 5, 2002, 07:13 AM
Oh please no... not senile already!!!

That's why I said I wasn't 100% sure... I just remembered the first name.

I've learned a lot from this thread.

lauriep
Jun. 10, 2002, 01:19 PM
The Amy Nunnally showing at Deep Run isn't "our" Amy. According to Ma, it is Scott's sister-in-law.

Our Amy isn't showing anymore. Wasn't at Upperville as she was in MA at a relative's graduation.

Laurie

[This message was edited by lauriep on Jun. 11, 2002 at 10:05 AM.]

Molly99
Jun. 10, 2002, 01:24 PM
I bet Scott and Amy and their children (twins) would love to know people think they are brother and sister.

Not sure which Amy is your Amy, but Scott is MARRIED to Amy.

Heineken
Jun. 10, 2002, 01:28 PM
Jim Williams...not Jimmy...he was at a barn in WI called Apple Ridge from about 1980 through 1992 maybe then moved back to VA to run the family business and I heard he was back in horses and would LOVE to know where he is!

He's here!!!

showjump
Jun. 10, 2002, 03:00 PM
The Amy Nunnally that is showing is Lee Nunnally's wife. Lee and Scott are brothers. Scott is married to Amy that used to show Fair Warning and other great horses. I hope this clears some things up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hah123
Jun. 10, 2002, 03:16 PM
Jim Williams is living in Nashville, TN, still involved in horses.

Molly99
Jun. 10, 2002, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by showjump:
The Amy Nunnally that is showing is Lee Nunnally's wife. Lee and Scott are brothers. Scott is married to Amy that used to show Fair Warning and other great horses. I hope this clears some things up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you,

I always get them confused. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Midge
Jun. 10, 2002, 06:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hah123:
Jim Williams is living in Nashville, TN, still involved in horses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew him many, MANY moons ago when I also lived in Nashville and he was an amatuer. Glad to hear he's around and presumably doing well.

lauriep
Jun. 11, 2002, 07:02 AM
"Our Amy" is the one he is married to, The former Amy Brumder Traurig. Scott has a sister-in-law named Amy who is showing at Deep Run.

Laurie

Heineken
Jun. 11, 2002, 07:06 AM
Do you know any way of getting in touch with him? You can email me privatly! He was one of the best equine influences I've had and I would love to know how he is doing!

Thank you!

He's here!!!

FairWeather
Jun. 11, 2002, 07:15 AM
What happened to Melanie Wright<????> (i think was her name)
She used to ride with Rolling Acres, then was sponsered by BET for a while.

Always,
FairWeather
""Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."--Homer
FairWeather (http://www.fairweather.bizland.com)
CANTER West Virginia (http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/salehorse.htm)

Janet
Jun. 11, 2002, 07:44 AM
How about
Gene Estep?

CoolMeadows
Jun. 11, 2002, 07:47 AM
I wondered about Melanie too. She leased Remy Martin until he died. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif After that, I only saw her a few times riding Remy's son, Reminiscent. She was a lovely rider.

Midge
Jun. 11, 2002, 12:37 PM
Melanie bought her Corgi from me. I think her name was Lexy.

wtywmn4
Jun. 11, 2002, 04:08 PM
Janet last I heard he was still in NY state..His daughter was riding but this was quite some time ago, bout 10 yr's??? Could be longer /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Harry Potter
Jun. 15, 2002, 11:01 PM
Lindy Patrick (granted this goes back about 30 years or so. or
James Hulick? he was such a womderful rider. He wasn't related to Marion Hulick was he?

MellowM
Jun. 15, 2002, 11:59 PM
to Debbie Stephens?? She used to show in all those grand prixs and rode so many nice horses...

upperco
Jun. 16, 2002, 04:25 AM
Lindy Patrick I believe was living in Colorado,James Hulick Passed away and Debbie Stephens is still showing in Grand Prixs

buryinghill1
Jun. 16, 2002, 09:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:
How about
Gene Estep?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I swear he passed away 5,6 years ago.
I recall asking somebody "who got the barn."

Gene if you are still alive. SORRY! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

lauriep
Jun. 16, 2002, 09:41 AM
was Marion and Hank's son. Debbie Stephens currently has a GP horse named Cosequin's Chappie. She has done quite well with him.

Laurie

buryinghill1
Jun. 16, 2002, 02:05 PM
What ever happened to Rose View Stables (Poughkeepsie,NY)? Are shows still held there? Are there any horses/boarders?

wtywmn4
Jun. 16, 2002, 08:34 PM
Rose View Stables? Wasn't that TS's barn at one time?

buryinghill1
Jun. 17, 2002, 05:26 AM
Rose View Stables? Wasn't that TS's barn at one time?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. We used to show there in the OLD days. I wonder what happened to the shows and the horses...

Van Teal
Jun. 17, 2002, 07:35 AM
donated the farm to a handicapped riding program. I believe as a write off or something along those lines.

FairWeather
Jun. 19, 2002, 07:29 AM
I used to show against Remy--he was a neat horse.
I swear I saw Debbie Stephens riding at Upperville a few weeks ago

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."--Homer

lauriep
Jun. 19, 2002, 07:37 AM
if she was there, she didn't stay for the GP. She showed there last year.

Laurie

Molly99
Jun. 19, 2002, 01:17 PM
Yep

Debbie was at Upperville.

I thought she did one in the GP, but maybe is scratched. I know that she did the Open Speed on Saturday.

lauriep
Jun. 19, 2002, 01:48 PM
And I didn't see her around the jumper area. She had probably already left.

Laurie

Jaysee
Jun. 19, 2002, 08:03 PM
Debbie sighting here in Calgary today.....

Alex Trebek
Jun. 25, 2002, 07:13 AM
How about Marianne Taylor?

FairWeather
Jun. 25, 2002, 07:28 AM
Yep, saw her go in the Open Speed class too..

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."--Homer

Alex Trebek
Jun. 27, 2002, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex Trebek:
How about Marianne Taylor?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bump - anyone know what she's doing and where?

How about A. Cone?

buryinghill1
Jun. 27, 2002, 06:58 AM
How about A. Cone?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is truly frightening. I was just about to post the same question.
What ever happened to A. Cone?

I am totally weirded out now.

lauriep
Jun. 27, 2002, 08:16 AM
at the VA. State Horse Show (back when it was still a nice show). He was JUDGING! He was married and if memory serves me, was somehow involved in the toy industry, had invented something or developed something? Very foggy...

I took care of Stoney Burke and his hunter for him, along with sister Bunny's wonderful hunter, Beach Boy, when I worked for Joanie.

BTW, I got an email from Joanie a few weeks ago and am planning a trip to Greensboro to see her this summer. I'll enquire about the Cone kids when I see her.

Always thought Stevie was the cutest one!

Laurie

Alex Trebek
Jun. 27, 2002, 08:20 AM
at the VA. State Horse Show (back when it was still a nice show). He was JUDGING! Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay lauriep, you're showing your (our?) age - Va. State hasn't happened for almost 20 years!

MellowM
Jun. 27, 2002, 01:59 PM
what happened to Greg Best? I remeber when he stopped riding Gem Twist a long time ago but what did he do after that? And why did he ever stop riding Gem Twist?

Molly99
Jun. 27, 2002, 05:34 PM
Greg now lives in New Zealand and now rides for NZL in competition.

If I remember correctly he originally "lost" the ride on Gem because of an injury. Leslie Howard took over and then Greg had him back for a bit, I think. Anyway, my understanding was that it was his choice to move. Laura Chapot finished out Gem's show career. On a side note, he comes to WEF every year, still looks at "up" as ever.

Others will know better about Greg's move than I.

YD - Where are you??

Iride
Jun. 27, 2002, 07:27 PM
What about Buddy Brown??

Michelle Mc
Jun. 27, 2002, 07:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iride:
What about Buddy Brown??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wm. Brown is a superb course designer these days! I believe he hung up his saddle.

MHM
Jun. 28, 2002, 03:51 AM
Actually, Buddy may have hung up his show clothes, but I think his saddle is still in use. I swear I've seen him on horses in the schoolng ring, most recently at Devon and the Catskills.

Somebody correct me if I've been hallucinating (again).

lauriep
Jun. 28, 2002, 06:07 AM
I'm afraid my age has never been a secret due to my posts on the '78 European Tour, and others, where I wasn't exactly a teenager! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I always tried to opt out of Va. State (hate night classes). Usually, I just had to ship everyone up (we were in Petersburg), set up and then got to go home again.

Actually, the year I saw A, I think I just stopped in for a visit after I had retired. I stopped to see Peter D. and A happened to come up to the tower there.

I saw Greg last summer when he was in Scottsville, VA. His Dad lives in Charlottesville. He is VERY happy in NZ. It was his decision to move on. As a matter of fact, it took a cruise around the world for him to decide where he wanted his horse career to go, IF he wanted it to go on. He has a wonderful place that he designed on a napkin. It was an orchard, and they removed all the trees to make a place suitable for horses.

Laurie

showjump
Jun. 28, 2002, 07:46 AM
A Cone is living in Ivy, Va. He is married to Suzanne Jarema (she was from Raleigh and rode with Don years ago)

Piper
Jun. 28, 2002, 07:56 AM
Whatever happened to Frank Gombolay?

buryinghill1
Jun. 28, 2002, 08:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Piper:
Whatever happened to Frank Gombolay?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He trains Laura (Gorman) Linback. She has been very successful in Grand Prix over the past couple of years.

Piper
Jun. 28, 2002, 08:45 AM
Thanks yd. I remember him from way back training Jay Land and some others in Atlanta. Where does he live now?

Alex Trebek
Jun. 28, 2002, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Piper:
Thanks yd. I remember him from way back training Jay Land and some others in Atlanta. Where does he live now?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You call THAT way back?! I remember when he was based in Greensboro, training Leslie and Frank Jr., A. and Bunny Cone and many other notable jr. riders. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Piper
Jun. 28, 2002, 09:00 AM
Alex Trebek-who are you???? I remember him speaking of the Greensboro days but I knew him after he relocated to Atlanta. Jay Land had the wonderful horse Gamecock which was HOTY in what year????? If I recall correctly, he was leased from Leslie and then purchased by the Lands. Correct me if I am wrong.

lauriep
Jun. 28, 2002, 09:01 AM
so do I...

Laurie

Alex Trebek
Jun. 28, 2002, 09:05 AM
Alex Trebek-who are you???? I remember him speaking of the Greensboro days but I knew him after he relocated to Atlanta. Jay Land had the wonderful horse Gamecock which was HOTY in what year????? If I recall correctly, he was leased from Leslie and then purchased by the Lands. Correct me if I am wrong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you are correct. Leslie showed Gamecock before then, and Frank Jr. showed The Silver Ghost.

He also helped Jane Carter in Atlanta as I recall.

Piper
Jun. 28, 2002, 09:24 AM
A little trivia challenge-name Jane Carter's pony and horses.

Alex Trebek
Jun. 28, 2002, 09:26 AM
Tamarisk and.....? The horse will come to me...eventually! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Does she still ride/show? Last time I saw her, she was giving ME a lesson! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Piper
Jun. 28, 2002, 09:35 AM
Where does Jane live? Does she still ride?

lauriep
Jun. 28, 2002, 10:10 AM
I was with Joanie. Wonderful horse. I always wondered what happened to him...

Didn't he come from RJ?

I only met Leslie and Mrs. G. I don't remember ever meeting a brother. Might he have quit riding before then?

Laurie

Alex Trebek
Jun. 28, 2002, 10:22 AM

Didn't he come from RJ?
I think you're right - trying to remember the owner. Barbara Butts maybe?

I only met Leslie and Mrs. G. I don't remember ever meeting a brother. Might he have quit riding before then?

He was showing in the mid '70's.

Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Piper
Jun. 28, 2002, 10:59 AM
lauriep, I agree with you, Gamecock was an awesome horse.

MAD
Jun. 28, 2002, 11:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by Alex Trebek:
Last time I saw her, she was giving ME a lesson! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And which ME would that be, Alex?

Jaysee
Jun. 28, 2002, 08:42 PM
Jane Carter Ware is living somewhere near The Plains VA and has a couple of kids. She did WEF in 99 with Joe F. I'm not sure if she is still actively showing.

Kryswyn
Jun. 28, 2002, 09:07 PM
Jane Carter Ware is not currently showing (or riding for that matter) because she injured her back (broke/compressed discs I believe). Decided after not having ridden in some months to take one of her retired hotheaded jumpers on a trail ride when he hadn't been worked in a year. New groom didn't think it was her place to tell Jane this ride was perhaps a bad idea. Didn't tell anyone where she was going. They found her hours later trying to crawl back to the barn. Makes life with a two month old baby you're breast feeding realllllly hard.

~Kryswyn~
"Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"

georgetowner
Jun. 29, 2002, 09:14 AM
what did jane do to you? return a bridle at HORSE COUNTRY?

rockstar
Jun. 29, 2002, 03:32 PM
Melanie Wright finnished off her junior career in the fall of 1995 and went to Howard. It was either Devon '94 or '93 that Remy died. Now she rides once in a blue moon and braides occasionally. When she does ride, it's as if she never has spent an hour off a horse. She still lives in the DC metro area and had a baby girl about a month ago. And she is as skinny and pretty as ever... even when she was pregnant /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As for the Ziffs... whoever it was that asked... I don't know a thing about Dallas money, but the people I work with know everybody who has money in Dallas and the rest of Texas pretty much... and the Ziffs are not in that group. I do know, however, that there is a very wealthy Ziff couple in New York... Dirk & Natasha Ziff. No clue if there is any relation!

Kryswyn
Jun. 29, 2002, 09:03 PM
You're being intentionally much more catty than I was. I sense an alter-troll here.

I have no beef w/ Jane. Besides, she shops at the Tack Box. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Sorry if I didn't sound sympathetic enough for you. It was more a comment on how ill-advised it is for ANYONE to go on a trail ride, ALONE, without telling someone where they're going and what time they'll be back.

~Kryswyn~

Bumpkin
Jun. 30, 2002, 08:32 AM
I know there were two Younger Sisters, from Banner Farms, Bakersfield, CA.
The only one I ever read about is Cece, what happened to the other sister?

CoolMeadows
Jun. 30, 2002, 09:31 AM
Was it Ukea that did that to her? I'm assuming it was since he was half a turd all the time.

And Rockstar, I thought Remy had died at the Olympic festival. He was on my team, and I thought it was shipping sickness that got him. I never even arrived in Colorado because the borders closed due to that stomatitis thing and the show was cancelled...

Glad to hear that Melanie's doing well.

*Charter member of the Welsh Cob Clique!*

Kryswyn
Jun. 30, 2002, 10:58 AM
Not sure which horse it was, my friend only said Jane should've known better because the horse was a hothead then; is a hothead now; and will always be a hothead. Apparently he was nobody's idea of a 'grandmother's horse' suitable for a casual looserein hack through the woods.

~Kryswyn~

blue rider
Jun. 30, 2002, 07:40 PM
do you know mark l. hankins of midlothian va?

Janet
Jun. 30, 2002, 08:22 PM
I saw Kent (and Mark) Jungherr on Saturday (at their brother-in-law's funeral /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ).

Kent has "sold most of the Standardbred farm", and has a small farm in Florida. He is also doing a "little bit of shipping"- shipping Mark's horses down to Culpeper at the moment.