PDA

View Full Version : Tad Coffin Saddle

Atlas Shrugged
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:53 PM
I can't keep it from slipping.. back, sideways. Tried various pads on my wide horse (thin, medium work best). Refuse to show hunter in a breast plate. Have the Tad girth, tried others as well. If pad is thin, then saddle sits too low, but if pad is medium, then it is too tight in the shoulder (I think). The horses love the damn things, but they are a pain to keep in place. And advice for medium/wide wb - x mare with mutton withers?

czgm7r
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:50 PM
I used a saddle-rite pad with mine. It is now 12 years old and I used it everyday and still looks great. If that doesn't work maybe try a thin line saddle fitter pad that has various thicknesses. Mine use to slip too but that was fixed by the Tad girth on my big guy and that didn't work for you. My current horse doesn't use a pad at all but I use an anatomic girth and it doesn't slide. That might be something to try.

horse-loverz
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:13 PM
I have a Supracore (http://www.supracor.com/store/equestrian/saddle-pads/) pad with mine and I love it. I use the all-purpose one but they have a nice show pad. It supports without being bulky and altering fit and I don't notice my saddle slipping. I also use a Pro Choice (http://www.doversaddlery.com/prof??ventech-girth/p/X1-02087/&ids=gn0lt5miqawtob55wiwbh445) girth which helped as well.

horsepoor
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:22 PM
When my TC saddle was slipping back too far, Justin happened to be at a show and brought me on of their no slip pads. I was never a big fan of the other no slips I'd tried, but this one worked very well and is thin so doesn't affect the fit. I suspect they still sell them...you might check and see. I use it sometimes on other saddles as I like how it works. Another option would be one of the ecogold pads - I have one for my dressage saddle that works well and I think they make a hunter friendly fuzzy white fitted pad as well.

merry98
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:39 PM
It worked for us. We had the same problem with my TC, and I too refused to use a breastplate. A saddle fitter recommended using billets 2 & 3 as well.

geldingsRgreat
Apr. 10, 2012, 03:31 PM
If the saddle is moving around that much, it cannot be comfortable for your horse. If it doesn't fit your horse, perhaps it's time to find one that does. I know TC says one saddle fits all, but I don't buy it.

horsepoor
Apr. 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
If the saddle is moving around that much, it cannot be comfortable for your horse. If it doesn't fit your horse, perhaps it's time to find one that does. I know TC says one saddle fits all, but I don't buy it.

It is possible for the saddle to fit and still slip - such was the case with my horse. He was big, flat, and wide and any saddle would slip on that type of back, esp when he was jumping well. Once we put him in the no-slip pad, the saddle stayed where it was supposed to and he was happy. Not that he was unhappy when it slipped back, but it sure made it more difficult for me to stay with him!

I do agree that the TC does not fit all, but don't think you can conclude that a saddle slipping absolutely indicates poor fit.

Atlas Shrugged
Apr. 11, 2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks for all the advice! The saddle actually fits better than most. She is just so fat and round and jumps like a freak.
I think the Professional Choice girth sounds like a good option, and I will try the e. g. pad next.

Thanks!! Yes no slip pad works, had one, but too thin on this horse. Maybe under the thin pad?