PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk laminate....

janedoe726
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:41 PM
I'm looking to put down laminate floors in my townhouse. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want anything that looks cheap either. I'm leaning toward a darker color. I live alone, so traffic is minimal. Please share your experiences and/or suggestions.

ellebeaux
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:43 PM
My mother has them and I don't like them at all. They look cheap. They kinda bow up in the middle. They look like they are covered in a plastic shiny stuff that shows every fingerprint, claw mark, hair etc.

If you clean and scrub and polish them, they look awesome. But that lasts about 3 minutes in her house with a dog and two cats.

pony4me
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:47 PM
Pergo American Cottage.

Premium laminate with a 35 year warranty. Gorgeous dark "wood".

We just bought a condo that has it in the living room and it's beautiful. Send me a pm with an email address and I'll try to send you a photo. I really should try to put some photos on Facebook but sometimes not everyone can see them.

Posting this link in case some can see it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=610712950&sk=photos

red mares
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:10 PM
I have laminate floor in my townhouse. EVERYWHERE. or at least it seems that way, it's all over the first floor. It is cheap blond oak plasticy stuff. It hasn't bowed or anything, but it has faded and there are some unfaded spots where rugs/furntiure were. I'm counting the days to when I can afford to replace it. I have engineered hard wood upstairs that actually LOOKs like wood, well it is.

It is easy to clean up the cat barf from both of them. :)

JanM
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:17 PM
There are different grades of laminate. The stock stuff at the big box stores (Lowes & Home Depot) is thin, cheap and does what ellebeaux said. The really cheap stuff also needs a underlay to eliminate noise when walking. The really cheap stuff is not good.

I bought the thicker, special order stuff at Lowes when I got rid of the carpet. It was thick, click together, and only needed the cheaper plastic underlay for noise. Mine was a less shiny finish, really thick and looked good. That I would get again if I had the opportunity. In the kitchen and wet areas I would use a better quality vinyl plank that is full glue on the bottom-it wears well, looks like wood (search vinyl plank on google images), and wears like iron-but only the better quality holds up well.

PalominoMorgan
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:23 PM
I have Swiftlock Heritage Pine throughout my house. I chose it because this is a multiple dog household and I have a young child. My only complaint is that the boards can swell if there is a major spill that sits on it. My front load washer had the boot rip and I came home to water on the floor and swelled boards. It did go down though. I am really happy with my laminate and I have gotten many compliments on it.

janedoe726
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:51 PM
Pergo American Cottage.

Premium laminate with a 35 year warranty. Gorgeous dark "wood".

We just bought a condo that has it in the living room and it's beautiful. Send me a pm with an email address and I'll try to send you a photo. I really should try to put some photos on Facebook but sometimes not everyone can see them.

Posting this link in case some can see it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=610712950&sk=photos

Ohhh, I love that color! Thanks for the pictures. Your layout and colors are very similar to mine, so it's like I can see what it will look like in my house!

stolen virtue
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:20 PM
We have pergo all over the house it looks great and is 12 years old. It has held up to dogs, babies and toddlers.

We do plan on replacing it with hard wood in a few more years but with our dogs it held up better than the wood floors in our old house.

appdream
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:36 PM
See if you have a Lumber Liquidators near you, great prices on specials and closeouts. Also, if it is in the budget get the type with the underflooring already mounted to the underside.

saultgirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:59 PM
We just put some in within the last month, and I love it. It looks just like hardwood. The stuff in my kitchen (which was here when we bought the house) looks more "fake".

spacehorse
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:18 AM
We are preparing to build our dream house and I have been doing WAAAAY too much research on this stuff.

I have learned that regardless of thickness, the durability is pretty much the same. 12 mm is the thickest I have found. 8mm has the same warranty, but it is much more flexible.

It will also make a huge difference in the look if you choose handscraped. It looks real, wears much better than real hardwood and does not show dirt like the smooth stuff does (lesson learned). And the darker you go, the more dirt you will see!

I also recommend checking out Lumber Liquidators. Website is pretty good and shows you the options and explains the difference between the types (engineered/laminate/etc).

JanM
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:04 PM
You can also go to smaller retailers like ifloor.com. If you see what you want in a retail store, then go to the online people like ifloor, and see if they have the same brand and type you want. If you order from a retailer that doesn't have a physical location in your state, then you usually pay reduce or no state sales tax, and usually the shipping is cheaper than the tax. Sometimes they have shipping specials too.

You can also buy furniture the same way, from discount retailers, and then have it shipped to your state for much less than the retail, even with shipping. Furniturelandsouth, is one outlet in NC that does that, and I know there are others out there.