PDA

View Full Version : Who else does NOT color their hair and why don't you?

Lizrd
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:04 PM
Hello all,

I am approaching 40 <gulp!>. I have not yet colored my hair other than a really bad decision back in middle school. I have some grey coming in through my overall mid-brown colored hair. I keep trying to convince myself it just looks like really light blond highlights. I have started to adjust my part a bit so that more grey lies under may hair than right at the part.

My reasons for not coloring are:
1) I don't want to be that lady with the 2 inches of roots when it is not maintained.
2) I don't want to spend hours in the beauty parlor. My commute is at least 3 hours every day - more on days that I go to the barn. The last thing I want is more sitting time!
3) I do not want to blow $75/month or more on my appearance. I have board bills to pay after all!
4) At my age a woman deserves to have a few grey hairs. I feel I have earned them through life experiences.

Do you NOT color your hair? Why not? Do you ever feel social pressures to do so? Do you feel good about NOT coloring your hair?

If you DO color your hair, what is some advice for a potential first-timer? There seems like there are so many options out there even if you are going to a salon. I may want to try it out but I want a commitment I can get out of if I find the maintenance is too much for me. Plus I want it to look as natural as possible. I know some women who use those "at home" kits and they look like a dyed Easter egg. No thanks!

Thoughts on hair color? Pros? Cons? Reasons?

veetiepony
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:10 PM
Me! I'm 24, and have never colored my hair. It's something I've been thinking about recently, though. My reasons are:

-Too pricey
-Too lazy to get it done often enough so the roots don't grow out
-The lack of hair coloring, the lack of products I use on my hair, as well as the small amount of times I blow dry/straighten/whatever my hair means it's pretty healthy and shiny.

I would like to try it someday, just to see what it would look like. I figure I have a tattoo, nothing more permanent :) I just don't want it to take two years for me to have my hair "normal" again.

BuddyRoo
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:10 PM
Totally your call lady!

I have some Native American blood in me so my grey hairs are actually silver and I think they're pretty dangit! But I'm not ready yet.

So I color. Since I have longer hair, I always used to get it done professionally every month or so else I'd have roots in one color and ends in another even though I was interested in maintaining my "natural" color--not something crazy different.

Well, bought a house a few years ago and cut out my hair routine. Did it myself with the help of L'Oreal. But when I was getting ready to get married, I wanted a good cut and color in advance.

Couldn't believe how much BETTER it was. Le sigh. So pricey though!

A good cut and color doesn't have to only last a month though. I haven't had mine colored since October--but I stick very close to my natural color and only have a handful of silver hairs sticking out. I can live with it. But a good hair cut and color is pretty neat!

I go to an Aveda salon FWIW. Really pleased with them. Most of my colleagues go there too and have for years.

If you're GOING to do it, do it right.

cranky
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:12 PM
I have my hair highlighted, but don't do an overall color. I like the highlights because it adds some depth and interest to my hair and does help take some of the focus off the gray (doesn't really completely cover it). But I don't have to be a slave to it the way I would have to be for an overall color job. I get the highlights updated 3-4x a year. A full dye job would have to be every 4 weeks (at least). I should add that I am not completely gray, just lots of strands poking through.

Chief2
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:15 PM
I am a redhead who blonded out, so I use John Freida's Blonder shampoo/conditioner/lightener products. They do a great job without me having to use boxes of color to keep my hair looking great. I can't stand the straw feeling that results from coloring.

Guin
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:18 PM
I'm almost 48 and don't have a gray hair on my head (blonde.) My dad didn't go gray til he was almost 60, so I've got a ways to go. My friends who dye their hair say it gets so brittle it snaps off! I'd rather be gray (eventually.)

handfish
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:19 PM
I think grey hairs are beautiful.

LauraKY
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hightlights. For a while, it will blend the gray right in.

Equibrit
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:22 PM
I think colouring your hair is a lot like telling lies. (plus I have an aversion to chemical crap)

dressagetraks
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have gray starting to come in - I'm actually slowly going in overall effect from red to blond, but you can see the gray hairs individually if you look. Never colored, never will.

Reasons:

1. Who cares? I'm getting older. So is everybody else. There is a set of identical twins in my church who have spent identical $$$$$ on face lifts, plastic surgery, color, etc., etc., in an effort to look 30-odd instead of their actual 70. Close up, you can still tell they are 70. Extreme example, but I really consider that stuff to be denial of aging. Phooey. We're all getting older. It's not some secret flaw to be buried and covered up.
2. Expense. Better things to spend money on.
3. Time. Better things to spend time on.

I insist on "wash and go" hair with the absolute minimum of fuss, by which I mean running a brush through it when I'm going to go somewhere. I just have things that matter a lot more to me in life. It doesn't look hideous that way and scarecrowish; folks almost always even say my hair is my best feature. But even if it weren't, as long as it's presentable, the "better" that it could be with more time/money just does not matter a bit to me. Other priorities. A hair dresser at a social function was once trying to convince me how much better it could look with just 20 minutes a day and an hour every other week. I was horrified. Do you realize what that would add up to? On hair???

Nah. Can't see where it's worth it.

ETA: Church pianist has SILVER hair. It isn't gray, it's the most beautiful silver. Prematurely so; she's not much older than I am. She looks marvelous with it (not merely my non-hair-conscious opinion; I've heard many people rave about it). What a loss if she had chosen to color it.

Leprechaun
I'm 43 and salt & pepper. The gray seems to be coming in silvery & shiny, not dull and just whiteish. So far so good. If I don't like it in a few years I'll color it. I'm not a short hair candidate so I will keep it nicely pulled back. I don't love the long old lady pony but that's just me.

Do what you want.

veetiepony
I think greys have a bad rap. It's like the process of a horse greying out. Pretty young and old.

Emryss
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:26 PM
I am also a redhead who faded/blonded out. I can never get back my original color, and I am certainly not going to spend a bazillion bucks trying - especially not at forty-plus/fifty-minus! At this point I am a high sabino strawberry roan. Could be worse.

handfish
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:28 PM
At this point I am a high sabino strawberry roan. Could be worse.
See? Beautiful! :winkgrin:

Louise
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:34 PM
I colored my hair for a few years, but soon gave it up. It just wasn't worth the time, effort or money. So, I let it grow out and have never regretted it.

Now, at 64, it's about half and half, but more silver in front. That's exactly the way my Mom's hair was. When she died at 90, she still had a lot of dark hair in the back.

I'm not young any more, and I see no reason to try to look it. I've had a fruitful life and I'm proud of the gray hairs that I have earned. Plus, I think it looks good.

Paragon
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:34 PM
I'm 32 and have decided to let my greys grow out - and I have several. Not nearly enough to be a proper salt-and-pepper, but I'm working on it. My friends are absolutely horrified by my decision, which makes me want to do it more.

And my reasons are purely indignant, too. The statement "You're too young!" makes my blood absolutely boil. No, I'm not too young. I found my first grey hair when I was 18. Grey hairs are a normal part of life and aging. It is normal for someone in their 30s and 40s to have grey hairs. The reason we've forgotten this is because the folks in the entertainment and advertising industries have fooled us into thinking that grey hairs - in women, particularly - don't happen until our 60s, and so we have this awful notion that anyone with grey hairs must be terribly old.

Or, heaven forbid, they don't care about how they look. As though people with grey hairs under age 60 are an affront to society.

Hell no. I earned these babies, and soon, I'm going to flaunt them. After several attempts, I got my hair dyed back to its 'natural color' so I can grow it out without the process being too dreadful, and I'm excited to see what my greys look like now.

Twisting
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm not a huge fan of doing tons with my hair. A bun or ponytail is about the extent of my concern. I do occasionally get rid of the sprinkling of grays though. The home kits work just fine, only take about 20 min every couple of months. So long as you stick very close to your original color you're not going to have hideous roots, and you won't look like an easter egg. Only the grays will develop roots, and if you only have a few it's not really going to be noticable.

I usually make the dye day a whole relaxation mini at home spa thing. Dye my hair, soak in a bubble bath with a good book and a glass of wine while the color sets. Maybe throw in a facial mask. It all takes about an hour and I figure I deserve an hour of pampering once a quarter. I've found dying usually adds some shine and brightens my fairly blah brown hair in addition to covering up the gray.

I have had it done at a professional place, and the results are typically head and shoulders above what I can do at home. I can get a little more adventerous, and do highlights. They grow out better than solid hair color and blend away gray just fine.

There is nothing wrong with gray hair, unless you don't like the way it looks. In which case there is nothing wrong with dying it.

sophie
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:04 PM
I'm 47, dark blonde with natural highlights, and never colored my hair...except for highlighting it the day before my wedding.

I don't have many grey hairs yet, and they blend right in. I still like to get a few highlights in the Spring. I keep my hair short, only go to the hairdresser 2x a year and maintain it on my own (which means mostly, cut the bangs when I can't see!).

I am resisting my hair dresser who keeps telling me I should color it all...but when I told a friend, she said it looked very nice just the way it is, with all the different shades. So, as long as I can keep it that way...I just don't want to go to the hair dresser more than 2x a year. It's expensive enough as it is!

I actually love the true silver grey hair that I see on some dark hair people. It is beautiful and adds character! Mine is more white and light grey than silver...but oh well!

stolen virtue
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:06 PM
I color my hair and I like the color, it is a darker brown. Megan on Mad Men has the same color. The grey is coming in more and I hate it, so I use temporary color and it lasts about 2-3 months and makes my hair shinier.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:09 PM
I am allergic to most beauty products, so it is a non-question for me.
Still, when I finally had enough gray hairs to be noticed, I was glad.
At 4'11", the size of a ten year old in the USA, I was not getting much respect, I was still being asked for my ID in my forties.:rolleyes:
Gray hairs helped with that.;)

sophie
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:11 PM
I was still being asked for my ID in my forties.:rolleyes:
Gray hairs helped with that.;)

Hahaha! Same here! grey hair, and wrinkles, and teenage daughters, helped, but it took a loooong time!

Huntertwo
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:15 PM
I'm fighting mother nature. And will continue to color my hair until the day I die...;)

I'm 51 and have been coloring for sometime. Used to go to the salon, but, being unemployed, I do it myself.

There are sooo many different coloring kits available at your local pharmacy and they make it very easy for the beginner to use.

I order "Goldwell" on-line, which is a salon brand and it looks the same as when I was paying $$$$ at the hairdresser.

Bacardi1
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:18 PM
I'm in my mid-fifties & had greys popping out when in my late 20's (my paternal grandmother was snow-white at the age of 30, so early graying is in the genes). I'm now about 50-50 grey/light brown, & while I dabbled in semi-permanent coloring on & off, I've never been able to take the leap to permanent coloring.

I'm really not all that interested in looking artificially younger than I am, don't really live the kind of lifestyle where I care about it all that much, & I freely admit that I'm not the kind of person who can be bothered screwing around with my hair all the time re: touching up roots, etc., etc. Just not worth it to me. Hubby loves me just the way I am (he's greying too), & that's all I need. :)

petesperson
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:22 PM
White hair? Great! Solid steel gray? Awesome! Salt and pepper (as in dishwater brown and gray)... not so much. I really hate it. Did the pro highlighting a couple times, which was nice and subtle, but since I have short hair, it didn't last long. Now I'm a bottle blonde (I was blonde as a kid... it's not a total stretch), and the grays create a natural highlight effect. Since my hair is curly, I can go 6-8 weeks between treatments before the roots really show. My hair has always been one of my worst features, because it's fine and thin, but I like the blonde. I do look forward to the day when it's all white and I can stop messing with it.

threedogpack
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:03 PM
I dont and won't. I'd have tri colored hair. I'm not good about keeping it cut, let alone more!

Have you ever smelled the products people put on their hair? That would be another reason.

Besides, if someone finds my aging to be a problem...they own it, not me. I just don't care enough.

fooler
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:04 PM
LOL - I have be careful complaining about grey hairs as my late sister and my BF were both 80% grey by age 30. My BF colored for years and finally quit because it is so time consuming. FYI - I am 57 and still only some grey.

However I don't plan to color for essentially the same reasons as the OP. I did experiment with highlights for a few years but it was too much time and effort for the result. :D

ReSomething
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:07 PM
Too lazy, too cheap, and blessed with what a friend of mine called las rayas - that is my hair is turning white, not grey, in streaks, so it looks interesting rather than drab.

saje
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:09 PM
50 years old, waist to butt length hair, never colored and probably never will. I've got some pretty distinct 'highlight' in the bangs, and silver strands here and there, but so far it doesn't look bad. And I can't be bothered, it's all I can do to get it cut onece a year or so (thus the waist-to-butt thing :p )

jetjocky
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:30 PM
Haven't used it in awhile cuz I've been going to the pool several times a week, and it lasts about 30 shampoos, so I don't see the point at the moment. I just put up with the gray.

twotrudoc
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:33 PM
I color or bleach mine, have since I was a teen, I'm 40 now. I do it myself and try very hard each month to buy the same picture of the same lady on the box each time. I do get a lot of compliments on my hair :lol: It is shiny looking and definitely not brittle.

This is one of my favorite pics, I text it to people all the time with various music to add to the ambiance. It shows my home-done hair :)

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/fassopony/IMAG0076-2.jpg

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:40 PM
I don't because (this may sound conceited.. i promise.. i am not) my hair is gorgeous. Why mess with perfection? (hair related only haha). It's long, curly, very thick and reddish brown, pretty fine (so humidity is NOT my friend haha). I naturally get highlights in the summer from being outside.. and all in all.. i'm fairly pleased with that :) Neither my dam or grand dam on either side has grey hair (neither color it) yet either.

But, my sister does color her hair.. and she uses the Garnier Fruit stuff and swears by it, and it takes like 20 mins.

paw
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:40 PM
At 50, I've been tempted a time or two, but have never colored. The grey is fairly extensive now, but I'm lucky - it tends to look like highlights or frost, so...

Anyway, too much money and time! DH cuts my hair at home (it's long, so just straight across the back); I'm into minimal fuss.

saaskya
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:24 PM
I don't because (this may sound conceited.. i promise.. i am not) my hair is gorgeous. Why mess with perfection? (hair related only haha). It's long, curly, very thick and reddish brown, pretty fine (so humidity is NOT my friend haha). I naturally get highlights in the summer from being outside.. .

haha same here!! though mines strawberry blonde and more wavy than curly. but, thick, long, and what i consider my best feature. and, at 24 i still (hopefully) have a while, but i am kind of looking forward to some greys. from ages 15-20 my hair was bleached, dyed all shades of purple, pink, blue, red, dreaded up, and then shaved into a mohawk and bleached almost white. doing all that has made me love my hair now even more.

my mom has 'dishwater blonde' hair. its like mouse- blah color. my whole childhood she dyed it light blonde. then when i was 17 and she got remarried she started dying it dark red. she tried to get my color a few times and itwas almost pink. she is 56 and has quite a few greys, i think, but i dont even think she really knows what her real color is now.

Go Fish
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:36 PM
I have stick straight hair. When the gray started coming in a couple of years ago, it came in VERY kinky/curly. So now, I have half and half hair...a total nightmare. So, coloring straightens the gray and helps keep my hair from looking as if I stuck my finger in a light socket.

I do hate keeping up with the roots, though. I have no patience for sitting in a salon and the smell of the dye gives me a headache for hours. It really sucks because my hair grows really fast and I have to have the roots done every 4 weeks.

I'm not talented or brave enough to try coloring myself.

vxf111
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:01 AM
I've never colored my hair. Why would I? It's damaging, expensive, and I'd have to keep up with it. My hair is dishwater blonde. Like real blonde. The kind that grows on people's heads. I know, I know... if it's not bleach blonde no one recognizes it. Who cares. I like how it looks just fine. I have the color people try to get out of the bottle. So I'll stick with that.

NBChoice
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:04 AM
I'm in my 20's so no grey hair but I have experience with coloring.
I don't color my hair anymore.
I used to when I was in my teens. Started probably when I was 15 or so and did it until I was probably 19ish. I dyed mine very dark, almost black and I absolutely loved it. However, my hair grows freakishly fast. Like an inch each month... so I had awful regrowth very quickly. Blech. And so I'd have to get my hair colored a lot, which is super expensive. So I finally decided to leave it my natural color. I do miss it sometimes.

BUT, I would warn you--if you decide that you don't want to color anymore it does take a while to get it back to your original color. My hair took almost a year to go back to it's normal color. We had to start with high lighting it slightly and adding more and more each time. Eventually I just quit high lighting it and left it to grow out. Half my hair was my normal color and the other half was a shade darker.

Kat_Renee
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:14 AM
I go through phases. I'm in my late 20s now and I have decided to go back to my natural color (brown with reddish highlights). The last color I dyed it was black (which was fabulous!).

The whole reason I am no longer dyeing my hair is because I am getting gray (well, silver) hairs and I want to enjoy my natural hair while it lasts.

I will be dyeing my hair when my silver hairs become more noticeable. My brother is 30 and he has had salt and pepper hair since his early 20s. I use box dye and have noticed that - if you don't get highlights/lowlights - it looks the same whether you get it professionally done or not.

OTV
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:23 AM
I don't do full colour but I do highlights. Though that might change when I get older...right now I'm only 28 and so far, no grey yet!

My mom is 58 and she doesn't colour her hair either. She had really red hair when she was younger and the gray in her hair has lightened her hair up to a beautiful shade of strawberry blonde. She's paranoid it doesn't look natural or that people think she's done something to her hair. She doesn't want to look like some of those peroxide cougars prowling about. But she doesn't colour her hair, mostly because she's too lazy to deal with roots and constant appointments. She always says when her hair looks more gray than strawberry blonde she'll colour it, but so far it's still more blonde looking. I can only hope my hair gets blonder and not gray when I get older!

rmh_rider
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:19 AM
OP I agree with all your points.

I would love to color my hair again, but will not.

Pretty much all my friends do theirs. And they do it dark. I would have also if I had kept up with it. But I saw a trend, a "skunk" line, so I quit. Also dried my hair out bad, and my hair is dry in the first place.

Some day, some day, the hair has to grow out to what ever color it is. You may be a person in an institute, or at your own home. But when it does, it is gonna look horrible. There will be a huge giant WIDE skunk line for a long time to come.

I have some friends who say they will color until they die. Have you ever seen a dark or blonde headed 80-90 year old? You can pretty much see their scalp then the color on it just looks awful. I have seen much younger people with not much hair but it is colored, you can see their scalp and it looks really odd with the hair color in any hair shade.

My main concern on coloring is I do not want to see a "skunk line" on my own head for a really long time. Right now I have a mix of brown, light brown and grey, and I am ok with that also it is all one length. You have to wear brighter colors as you get older or you look washed out. And no, I am not fashioneesta or makeup-eesta either.

WB Mom
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:50 AM
I'll be 53 this year and have no grey, but I did notice that menopause changed my stick straight hair to hair with beautiful waves and more body. A good thing! I like my hair as it is, and have had it highlighted for more depth at times, especially in the winter when sun is limited. If my hair didn't match how I felt inside, I would probably do something about it, but until then, I'm staying put.

skykingismybaby1
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:04 AM
During my late twenties I grew a skunk tail. Dark brown hair with a streak of pure white from my crown down the back of my head....not pretty. I started dyeing it then.

Fast forward to my fifties and I was soooo tired of coloring and fretting about roots showing. So I started altering my color application (I did coloring at home for decades - it is easy) I first highlighted around my face and let the grey grow in without the dreaded white line. I gradually moved the color line further back with each coloring until voila! mixed gray head of hair. It took about a year to do but I have relatively short hair.

It does look good and I get more compliments now.

Ajierene
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:10 AM
I have never died my hair. When I was a kid, the boxes said 'may be permanent on blonde hair' and it scared me.' My hair was sprayed pink once and lasted way to long for my taste.

My mom and grandma both started dyeing their hair young-ish. My grandma stopped dyeing her hair when she was 70-something and my mom buys whatever is on sale so her hair is varying shades from blonde to brown everytime I see her.

I am not going to be either one of those people. When I go grey, I'm just going. Then again, I don't put on make-up daily either.

cnvh
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'll be 37 this year and have never colored my hair. I'm not one to "say never," but my plan has always been NOT to color my hair-- too expensive, to time-consuming. Like others have said, I've earned all my greys. :) I'm secretly hoping for a Skunk Stripe, lol...

I do wash my hair every other day, but I rarely brush it, it never sees hairspray or any other products, and I don't even own a blowdryer or curling iron. My hair is thick and stick-straight; it literally looks the same whether I brush it or not, and since I don't do anything other than throw it back in a ponytail, it's not something I think about very much. Heck, I only get it cut a couple times a year, just to deal with the split ends...

I'm grey enough now, though, that if I DID start coloring it, I'd have to keep it up-- I'd have wicked roots showing otherwise.

HighFlyinBey++
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:18 AM
I Nice N Easy #108 mine because I dislike the color that grew back after chemo. It's also VERY thin. The natural dark tone only serves to scream "YO! SHE'S GOING BALD!" The reddish brown after coloring tones the scream down to a conversational level.

I would like to color it more of a blonde-red than a brown-red, but I'd need a professional to mix that for me. My hair is so short & thin, that I can get 3 applications out of a single box of color (obviously NOT mixing it until needed) that I bought for about $6.

MsM
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:22 AM
I have dyed it and not dyed it at various times.

I have very dark brown hair. In my late 40s I had strands of grey growing in. My hair was shoulder length. The result looked too witch-like for my taste. I started dyeing it with home products. Since I used something closest to my natural color and didnt have a whole lot of grey, I didnt worry much about grow-in. The main difficulty was matching my color as both my natural color and the dye job bleach out a lot.
I tried layering my hair in hopes that I could stop dyeing. Unfortunately my hair has just enough wave in the wrong directions that made this very annoying.
I grew it out again and had hair of many colors. Finally just used a semi-permanent to even things out for a while.
I think it is easier if you have lighter hair to grey gracefully. Would also work if you have a nice salt and pepper and a hairstyle to go with it. Time will tell if I continue with the chemistry experiments for a while...

sk_pacer
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:24 AM
I don't, couldn't be bothered and don't really care to sit in some smelly hairdressing shop for several hours at a time every couple of weeks nor do I want to waste the money. I don't even bother with hair cuts, just prefer looking like a refugee from the 60s; the last person that could actually do a good cut for me retired, his recommended replacement also retired and now everyone seems to want to do asymetrical cuts and dye your hair orange or purple and shave stripes into it

bumknees
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:36 AM
I have in the past died my hair or rather tired o. But as I have orange not ''red'' but truly orange it is difficult to find any color that is formulated for that color. I even went to shops and they giggle and say no can do as nothing we have will take.

I would love a nice rich ( thik that old comercial for ireland with the young girl at the end red) red hair at least then it would not be orange any more.

I began going grey when I was 16 my dad found a chunk of grey and was kind enough to pull it not out of skin just out to show it to me.. It was a good fist full of grey hair.

I have noticed reciently that my roots are going dark so maybe I am finally going grey the way redheads are supposed to.. instead of grey..

mkevent
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'll be 52 next month and I've never dyed my hair. I did highlights a few times in the last few years but that's about it.

I have brownish/strawberry blonde hair that gets very blonde in the summer. I have some gray hairs but they mix with all the other multi colored hairs on my head. I have a lot of very thick hair so maybe I can get away with the grays? I will admit that they do have a more wiry texture so I just pretend that I'm going for the "mad scientist" look.

I keep my hair short because it is soo thick it looks like Rosanne Rosanna Danna"s if I don't.

Personally, I think gray hairs are like wrinkles-a badge of honor. I think it's inspirational to see people who age naturally. I think it takes a certain amount of self assuredness to not fall for all the anti-aging hype.

Event4Life
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:05 PM
I don't because one of the (few) things I like about my appearance is my hair colour...It gets naturally gets streaky in the summer and is a light brown in the winter. When I first moved to the states at the age of 6 my classmates told me it was "dirty blonde" and I got very annoyed because I thought they were saying I had dirty hair (this colour does not exist in the UK). I still do not think my hair is dirty blonde - it's definitely light brown.

Bottom line: I have not and never will colour my hair.

charismaryllis
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:10 PM
Same reasons as the OP, plus my hair's very fine and I'm kind of afraid of any chemical processes on it.

Punkie
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:13 PM
Never have, never will. Not even those temporary colors. My hair is something about myself that I really, really like. It's naturally full of highlights, medium brown but looks VERY auburn in sunlight (I have 6 red-headed immediate family members...it's to be expected :lol:) and I get really pretty gold streaks when I'm out in the sun enough. I also have autoimmune disease and will more than likely go *white* not grey. I the look of shock white hair, so I'm all for that when the time comes. Then again, my mother is almost 53 and her hair is still just as red as it was when she was my age. She just has this super pretty white streak in her bangs. She's never, ever died her hair either. So I'm thinking that I'll be keeping my natural color for a long time to come :)

Behind the 8 Ball
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:13 PM
At 46, I have my share of grey that is encroaching on the strawberry blond but as I am usually in a helmet or baseball cap during the day and my family could care less what I look like as long as I keep the baked goods and clean laundry coming, eh, why waste time and $?

I have colored it in the past for fun but I have really porous curly hair and color never lasts long, as it just washes out anyway.

GutsNGlory
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
I'm only 23, but I have never and will never color my hair. I was naturally gifted with beautiful blonde hair. Seriously, I love the color of my hair. :D It has great natural tone and definition. And while it has darkened just slightly as I've gotten older (as a child it was almost a silver/white color in the summer), I am safe to say now that it will always be blonde. I keep it long (mid-back) and it is one of the only things about my appearance that I am never self-conscious about. Every hair stylist I have ever spoke with about my hair has agreed that I should never color it - they all tell me that other people pay them big $$ to get my color! ;)

Most of my friends agree with me too... except for one friend a few years ago who tried to convince me to dye the under side only black. Yuck. And I did let one friend in high school give me raspberry "highlights" with a washable marker. She promised it would wash out, and it did... after 2+ weeks of daily washings. I was not very happy with that!

I also have to add that I admire older women who don't dye their hair - my mother being one of them. Perhaps it is just that she has taught me that you EARN every grey hair (and every wrinkle) throughout your life - they aren't something to be ashamed of, but rather something to be proud of. JMHO.

Hinderella
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:21 PM
I had mine professionally dyed once. It was too expensive and took too long in the chair...I have better things to do with both my time and my money.

I've used drugstore temporary color, Clairol Natural instincts, several times, usually in the winter when I'm stuck indoors with too much time on my hands. It looks good for a while, but as it washes out I get either peach or lavender highlights :)

I'm a natural redhead (true chesnut) who's fading to strawberry roan, and I've decided I can live with that. The grey hairs that have come in are definitely drier and curlier, I call them the Dr. Suess hairs.

Basically, I don't color because I'm too cheap, too lazy,and it doesn't really look any better.

sunridge1
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:31 PM
No. I've had gray hair since I was in high school. Then developed noticeable streaks in my 20's. I colored my hair briefly in my 30's, then again in my early 40's, even tried to go blonde even though my original hair color is nearly black. Too much maintenance for me plus really bad for hair.

I took this 2 years ago. My hair is now nearly to my waist but I'm in need of a major hair cut for the health of my hair.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_03052.jpg

Mukluk
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:36 PM
I am pretty luck, 48 and only a very few gray hairs thus far. But I'm just going to let nature take it's course. I don't want the money or hassle of doing otherwise.

Benson
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:08 PM
Never have used hair dye and don't plan too. The idea of dumping chemicals on my head in an attempt to change is not my idea of strength.

I have friends who use hair color as art and I find that fascinating.

Lizrd
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your great replies. Most of them made me chuckle! I am feeling more content with my color choice after reading how many of you intelligent women are NOT coloring your hair. I agree, I earned these silver strands! I taught 8th grade for many years and each hair has a student's name on it! Now I own an OTTB and that has given me a few greys, too!

Oddly enough, moments after posting my thread I saw this news article in my local paper.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/story/2012-04-08/gray-hair-at-work/54048066/1
It mentions the trials and tribulations of women going grey in the workplace. It mentions how men are considered "distinguished" and women are considered "old." Such a double standard out there!

For now, I think I will stick with my "roan" shade - an apt horse term for my tresses! Save time, save money, save the Earth - how can you go wrong when you stay natural?

Apr. 8, 2012, 05:47 PM
Well I have a few gray hairs but have found that paprika works on people too (Load your chili or soups with it)

My hair went from okay light brown with blond highlights to a deep rich red highlighted brown with just enough gray to confirm 'Yes this is my real color, eat your heart out- you can't get it out of a bottle.'

HenryisBlaisin'
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:15 PM
I don't because (this may sound conceited.. i promise.. i am not) my hair is gorgeous. Why mess with perfection? (hair related only haha). It's long, curly, very thick and reddish brown, pretty fine (so humidity is NOT my friend haha). I naturally get highlights in the summer from being outside.. and all in all.. i'm fairly pleased with that :) Neither my dam or grand dam on either side has grey hair (neither color it) yet either..

This, too. My hair is bright copper red, super thick, and hangs nearly to my waist. I'm 39, and what little has decided to change has gone more of a strawberry blonde than grey. It looks like I have natural highlights, and it has never looked better. I may dye it someday, but it's nearly impossible to get my natural color from a bottle, so that someday isn't anytime soon!

LLDM
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:15 PM
I made it to my mid forties before I broke down. And considering how fast my family (both sides) go gray, that was an achievement! But I was so gray I looked ancient and it washed out my complexion badly. Frankly, I was tired of looking like crap. BTW, there are some people who look GREAT with varying shades of gray/white/silver. I am NOT one of them.

So, I was terrified for all the good reasons people have stated above. The first thing I did was find a good stylist who listened to me. After getting in a good routine to have my hair cut/trimmed, we decided on a semi-permanent, translucent color a slightly lighter shade than my natural brown. I could not believe how good and natural it looked! My hair now has a good variation of color, as the grays are a lighter brown and my brown hairs still look darker. My hair feels terrific too, as the semi stuff is much better for my hair, which was always healthy because I'm a minimalist with everything.

The other benefit it that while the color does grow out, it 'line' is softer and less noticeable since the color slowly fades too - but doesn't look washed out. I also go every 4 weeks like clockwork and now it is a bit a treat for myself. It only takes an hour with a trim and fifteen minutes more with a cut, and costs well under $100 including tip. Now that I am back in the workplace, I am very glad I did this. Oh, and the stuff my stylist uses really doesn't stink at all. She uses the Redkin line, FWIW.

Whether you color or not, do it on your own terms. A good stylist who respects your opinion is worth their weight in good. Even just a great cut for you and your hair will make you feel better and look fab.

I know I feel better now that I spend a little time on my own hair and not just making my horses' manes, tails and coats look good! ;):cool:

SCFarm

LavenderFarm
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:10 PM
I'm 58. I've never colored my hair. It was blonde, but has darkened some.

I consider the silver/gray hairs to be highlights! And I've earned every one of those gray hairs!

The horses / donkeys / dogs / cats don't care. So far, work is not complaining as I do my job and hair color is not a factor there.

mojo7777
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:45 PM
Can't be bothered! Too much time, one more thing to think about, and I got pretty good genes from my mom who didn't have all that much gray at age 93. I'm almost 60, and I don't think I'll ever dye my hair.

NRB
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:15 PM
I'm over the hill with thinning dk brown hair and grey. Will probably not color it b/c I'm a wash and wear type, not interested in spending time and $$ on hair. Don't like chemicals. And honestly if I can get ANY child free time then I'm going to the barn to see my horse. I tend to think of hair as the "stuff that sits on top of your head" it's pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things and not worth much bother.

Janet
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:32 PM
I am 58, I have never colored my hair, and have no intenetion of ever doing so. My hair is strawberry blonde, with an incrreasing sprinkling of white hairs.

A I am fine with what it looks like now
B I am too lazy to do anything with my haor other than wash it- I won't even blow dry it.

JohnDeere
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:36 PM
I started color before I had kids. I have dark brown hair so grey shines. I do it myself. Its a pain but not expensive or hard on my hair. It makes it soft so I cant do anything with it--it just hangs their and says Who Me? Go Where? :lol:

Aunt has same color hair and doesnt let it go so I dont know how it greys. Mom wont let hers go either. I dont think I will stop until its pretty grey all over then I will see.

Up to each of us.

M.K.Smith
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:52 PM
I figure that I'll have earned my grey and it I can just blame it on my son :lol: Now I just have a few strands and occasionally yank them out if I feel like it. I'm a more natural kind of gal and I don't have the time nor the money to be spending it on hair coloring. If people don't like me for who I am them that's fine... I wouldn't want 'em for friends anyway.

SaddleFitterVA
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:06 PM
I Nice N Easy #108 mine because I dislike the color that grew back after chemo. It's also VERY thin. The natural dark tone only serves to scream "YO! SHE'S GOING BALD!" The reddish brown after coloring tones the scream down to a conversational level.

I would like to color it more of a blonde-red than a brown-red, but I'd need a professional to mix that for me. My hair is so short & thin, that I can get 3 applications out of a single box of color (obviously NOT mixing it until needed) that I bought for about $6.

I mix my own color from 3 different ones in the Ion brand at Sally's. I also have it more red in the summer, more brown in the winter, but still use the same mix of colors.

I got gray hair in my 20s, it is probably 40% gray now, at 42, but I'll keep coloring it for the foreseeable future.

It costs me about $4 every 5 or 6 weeks, I do it at home, while drinking wine & reading things like COTH.

I even get compliments on the color at the Aveda salon where I go get it cut.

PonyPenny
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:16 PM
I am 48 and have naturally light blond hair. I have never colored it. It does darken some in the winter, but as soon as spring hits and I am outside a lot, it gets lighter. My family is Norwegian, so this maybe why it has stayed blond for so long. I am happy that it does.

Diamondindykin
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:32 PM
I am 43 years old and I have never dyed my hair. I have always gotten compliments on my natural color so I never had any reason to. I have started to get a few gray hairs now but I am still not ready to color it yet. When I have alot of gray I will most likely start dying it. My geldings old owner is a hairstylist so I will probably have her do it. Funny I am almost scared to have my hair colored :lol:

Another issue for me is the expense. I will spend $150 every 6 weeks for my horse to get new shoes but I only get my hair cut once a year. I don't like to spend money on myself. I feel better if I spend it all on my horse:yes:

Pocket Pony
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:10 AM
I'm 42 and am starting to have a few grey hairs here and there. While I pull them out (so I can get a good look at them and make sure they are grey:lol:), I do not color. Honestly, I'm not one to put much time and energy into how I look...sheesh, I'll go days without brushing my hair! I don't wear makeup, I don't dress in fancy/trendy clothes, I don't have fancy hairdos or manicured nails. Mr. PoPo loves me as I am and that's pretty much all that I care about. Five years ago I shaved my head 'cause I thought it would be fun (and it was) and I've been growing it out ever since. I now look like a boring hippie woman - I'll soon cut it for Locks of Love and then who knows.

It is hair. It will grow. So many people "hide" behind it and freak out over a bad haircut or color job or whatever. Who cares?

Mara
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:58 AM
I love my colorist but when we had to start watching $$$, the $250 foil jobs every 3 months were sacrificed. If I start going grey, I'll have to figure something out!

I went blonde a long time ago, but yeah, it's pricey. I can't do it at home because the home kits all pull red on my hair and even the lightest blonde shows up kind of orangey. Yuck. I was tempted at one point to hit Sally Beauty supply and get some of that blue powder bleach that lightens about 12levels, and just take my hair to porn-star white blonde. Then I figured I could tone it down to whatever shade I wanted.

But I was way too scared I'd fry it all and end up bald or with a head that looked like a frizzy Q-Tip.

spurgirl
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:34 PM
I'm going to be 48 in a few weeks, and I've never dyed my hair, which is light brown, a tad blondish here and there from my perm. I have very very few grays, they are hard to see.

There are 7 of us ladies at work, everyone colors or highlights their hair but me, and I'm the second oldest.

I have chronic Lyme, arthritis from that in most every joint, and have lost a few molars and am going through dental implants, and feel like crap a lot of the time from Lyme, but dammit, my hair looks good!

I will be hobbling and cackling along toothlessly soon;), but hopefully my mane will always rock!

Go figure!!

Wayside
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:34 PM
I've done temporary at-home color a few times just for the fun of it.

Like many of the other posters, I can't stand the idea of spending the time and money having my hair done in the salon all the time, though.

I'm in my 30's, no grey hair yet. But I'm about 2 years overdue for a haircut and have no sense of style whatsoever, so really, I'm not worried about going grey. Just doesn't enter my list of day-to-day concerns.

spotted mustang
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:47 PM
so much fuss about hair...lol.

I don't ever worry about my hair. It's there, but I keep it short to get out of my way. I wash it when I shower because I want to be clean. When I can see it in my peripheral vision, or when it tickles my ears, it's too long, and out come the horse clippers for a 1/2 buzz cut (looks very good on me, I'm told). I have no idea what color my hair is - sand or dirty blond or whatever, with some gray no doubt - who cares - and I don't own a hair brush or a mirror.

And this is probably the longest thought I've ever had about my hair, in my entire life. wow.

kookicat
May. 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
I don't colour mine because the thought of putting such strong chemicals close to my skin makes me uneasy. I know a couple of people who have had a bad reaction to hair dye.

lizathenag
May. 11, 2012, 03:36 PM
I don't color my hair. Who has the time? I could be riding.

Cataluna
May. 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
Other than the fact that it would make my bank account bleed, I don't colour because I really don't need to.. genetics gave me natural light blonde hair. While it is a bit boring sometimes, most stylists have refused to even consider putting low-lights into it.. so I can't really complain.

Arcadien
May. 11, 2012, 04:00 PM
Never bothered when I was young. Always hated my hair so it seemed, what's the use?

Now I do die the grays back to my natural color purely for the workplace. Appearance matters where I work. There are no overweight people, no bad dressers & no gray hairs. Not fair, I know, but this is reality. Not that management would tell you to your face to look a certain way, and sure as h*ll would never mention it in an interview, but if you've worked here long enough you know it matters. I'm facing reality squarely & doing what I have to do.

I call my co-workers the "beautiful people" LOL. I'm definitely not one of them but I'm playing the game to earn my farmette.

When I can retire & be the crazy cat/horse lady I truly am, you can bet I won't bother!

trubandloki
May. 11, 2012, 04:03 PM
I have brownish hair and it is getting lots of those sparkly gray hairs intermixed. I figured I am just trying to have more bling now that I am getting closer to 50.

I have no plans to color it. I see so many ladies with bad color jobs that I just can not stand the thought of looking like that. Plus I am just too cheap. There is no room in my budget for professional hair coloring....noper. Too many vet appointments for the animals.

JanDinWA
May. 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
I am in my mid-60's and have a sprinkling of gray hair but not very much. I did color my hair some in college when my blonde hair started to darken. Now it's a medium brown.

A few years ago I started using shampoo bars to get away from the silicon in regular shampoos and got some bars with henna from Southland Soap. These actually add a bit of color so I now have reddish highlights although I'd get more color (and possibly color the gray hair) if I left the shampoo on longer. They also have henna dye kits if you really want some color as well as just plain shampoo bars without color. So I'm just experimenting with the color bars a little since I really don't want to get into chemical hair dyes and the henna does add conditioning even if you don't get much color.

Trevelyan96
May. 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
I'm in my mid 50's and have a sprinkling of silver in my very dark (almost black) hair. I don't color because I'd rather spend my hair maintenance budget on a great cut and keratin straightening needed to keep it tidy. I have enough hair for 3 people.

Most of the women in my family go gray really early and I am just starting to sprout a few. Hoping it will be a nice salt & pepper or go snowy white like the women on my mother's side. If I take after my paternal aunts, it will stay dark with some silver strands into my 70's.

Either way, I'd rather that than put more chemicals in my hair and keep it as healthy as possible.

2DogsFarm
May. 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
My gray started coming in at age 23 - just the "distinguished" sides up front at first showing up in my ash blond.
Now at 61 I am nearly totally silvered out & have been for years.

I never bothered to color - I'm one of those who'd end up with 2" of gray roots :uhoh:
Luckily it's a good gray - I've been asked a lot who does the color ;)

sublimequine
May. 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
I'm in my early 20s and have some gray strands already. Boo. :lol:

I don't bother dyeing though. It's expensive (even if you do it at home), it's time-intensive, and messy. Especially because I rent an apartment, so any damage is $$$.

If I had lots of money and my own house I'd probably dye it. But not specifically to color the grays, just because I like doing different colors. :)

tallyho392
May. 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
as a natural blonde, my eyebrows are almost invisible, as are the any other visible hair, arms,etc........so, when my hair got darker after each pregnancy, then started to silver in 30's i decided to color it a darker shade of blonde..people i worked with for over a decade never knew it was not my natural color because everything blended so well,.and even when roots were growing in, there wasn't a HUGE difference........that worked for many years, but geez, i got tired of the loreal routine..........then i discovered that lots of my roots were (gasp) WHITE!.......both my parents silvered very early, and very nicely....both have always gotten comments on the lovely color of their hair......my mom, at 81, have lost all the curl and frizz of younger years, and has soft, smooth, silken platinum hair,all natural....i am still waiting for the curls and frizz to go away, but at 53, my hair is a very nice almost solid platinum.....nothing looks worse than intensely colored hair on a pale, wrinkled old woman, who thinks it keeps her looking young and glamourous

MistyBlue
May. 11, 2012, 09:39 PM
Oohh I SOOO wish I go silver! I love the looks of bright silver or really white hair. :yes:

I colored my hair for AGES...I'm a natural blonde. Crayola crayon sunshine yellow grew out of my head...not most people's first choice. :lol: Ridiculous color.

I colored my hair darker blonde most of the time...if I got bored with that I'd color it really close to my natural color. Or even go more of a platinum. I kept it colored because my hair is fine textured and frankly you can't do squat with baby fine virgin hair. It needed a little damage to stay in a pony tail, LOL! Plus the natural color was ridiculously yellow.

I haven't colored it now for about 3 years I think. It's mostly natural...and menopause/age/whatever finally tempered that silly bright yellow color. It's now a normal blonde color..mellow, like a honey blonde.

I always colored my own hair...but I've been lucky in that my hair was light to begin with and colored well...not going brassy and took on any color I put on it well. So it was cheap to do my own and no big deal. If I had to go to a salon? Probably never would have bothered...that's expensive and needs a lot of upkeep I'm not willing to bother with.

Not sure what I have for greys...if I have some they're blending in so far. But I am so very much hoping to have a nice grey come in! :yes:

Wiccangirl
May. 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
I get my hair colored at a school and only pay 30 dollars for a cut and color. See if there are any schools in your area if you decide to color your hair.

sketcher
May. 12, 2012, 06:53 AM
I've lost half my hair due to celiac and PcOS and am grateful for every grey hair that chooses to stay in my head. I also have a lot of food and chemical sensitivities and am afraid that if I dye my hair it will all fall out and not come back!

Whiz Kid
May. 12, 2012, 08:00 AM
I get highlights. I'm 36 and have been greying since my early 20s...coloring my hair gives me confidence and I really enjoy being pampered once every 3 months. Is it time consuming? Yes. Expensive? Fairly. But I really don't do much to spoil myself, always putting my horses and dogs much higher on the priority list. But coming out of the salon with super sassy highlights and a great cut makes me feel like a million bucks.

Foxtrot's
May. 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
I use highlights - everybody knows it's fake, but I prefer it to salt and pepper. Now if it was silky and white and beautiful like some rare lucky souls...I'd love that.

My girls colour their hair - I so wish they woudn't - it takes all the natural variations out and when it needs re-doing, the hair is flat and dull and has lost its shine. Time enough later for colour.

TheHorseProblem
May. 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
I used to get perms all the time, and that plus spending all day Saturday at the barn gave me serious highlights in my naturally brown hair. When I stopped getting perms in the mid-90s, my hair grew out darker, and I was also not riding at all so I got less sun exposure. Then I changed my part to the center and became truly brown-haired for the first time in my life.

Then the Newsweek magazine with the cover of Caroline Bessett Kennedy came out. Her hair was my same color, but her hairdresser gave her "buttery chunks" of blonde hair. So I took the magazine to my hairdresser and asked for the same.

That was a big hit and I maintained the chunky highlights for a few years, but it got too expensive, so I quit.

Then I rediscovered good old Sun In. It's around $6 and I order it online because no drugstores around here carry it. It's easy, effective, and cheap. I soak cotton balls in it to give myself the buttery chunks, and spray it on for overall highlights. Now that I am getting a few gray hairs, I think it lessens the effect of that.

rodawn
May. 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
I used to dye it a dark auburn, but I really hated the constant maintenance. I'm in my 40s now and since Christmas I've decided to see what it looks like growing out. My grey hair is silver, not white, and the tone looks good with my skin plus there is still my natural really dark hairs mixed in. So, I'll probably leave it. I'm lucky I don't have a lot of wrinkles, maybe some fine crows feet by my eyes, so that is maybe a bit age confusing - silver hair and smooth skin.

kateh
May. 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Haha what good timing! I'm just about to dye my hair for the first time, just for kicks and giggles. My normal color is not quite blonde, not quite brown and it gets lost in my curls anyway. I've done highlights before, but didn't feel like paying to maintain them. I figure I'm bored and I'm working a manual labor job where I won't see anyone important for another 3 months, so if I don't play around with my hair now, when will I? I have a reddish brown color to try once I can convince my friend to help me with it!