PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cooking Shows

KathyR
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:18 PM
OK, I'll admit, I love cooking shows. Even though I only get a chance to really cook on some weekends, I love the recipes. Yes, I cook every night, but weekends I have more time to play in the kitchen. I'm (was) hooked on Worst Cooks, well, it ended the other night, and love Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Chopped is fun to see what is in the basket. Throw Down with Bobby Flay is also fun to watch. What's your favorite? And, do you cook as good as they do?

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:19 PM
I like the ones you watch. I prefer the competition ones...

Throwdown, Chopped, Top Chef, and Iron Chef are all ones I enjoy.

Chief2
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:34 PM
I watch the cooking shows on PBS: Lidia Bastianich's shows, Ciao Italia's Maryann Esposito, Jacques Pepin, Cook's Country from America's Test Kitchen, Avec Eric, the Julia Child shows, Mexico One Plate at a Time, John and Caprial's Kitchen, Barbecue University, John Besh's New Orleans, Coastal Cooking with John Shields, Todd English, Hubert Keller, Sarah Moulton's Weekday Meals, Joanne Weir's Cooking Class, Ming Tsai's Simply Ming, Taste of Louisiana with Chef John Folse & Co., Tommy Tang, and Vine Talk.

I have learned a lot about food, cultural differences in using food items, food preparation and the history of food. Because of it I make better choices in my selections, and my recipes have better odds of coming out right time and time again.

Leprechaun
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:40 PM
Diners, Drive-In's & Dives
Barefoot Contessa
Giada DeLaurentis
Jaques Pepin
Sarah Moulton on Create
Good Eats - love the science aspect of how it all works

Not really cooking show but Anthony Bourdain & Andrew Zimmern

My girls like Cupcake Wars

Bacardi1
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:34 PM
I watch the cooking shows on PBS: Lidia Bastianich's shows, Ciao Italia's Maryann Esposito, Jacques Pepin, Cook's Country from America's Test Kitchen, Avec Eric, the Julia Child shows, Mexico One Plate at a Time, John and Caprial's Kitchen, Barbecue University, John Besh's New Orleans, Coastal Cooking with John Shields, Todd English, Hubert Keller, Sarah Moulton's Weekday Meals, Joanne Weir's Cooking Class, Ming Tsai's Simply Ming, Taste of Louisiana with Chef John Folse & Co., Tommy Tang, and Vine Talk.

I have learned a lot about food, cultural differences in using food items, food preparation and the history of food. Because of it I make better choices in my selections, and my recipes have better odds of coming out right time and time again.

Another big fan of the PBS cooking shows, & watch them when I can. Outside of those, the only other "foodie" show I watch regularly is Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations", which isn't a cooking show, but is culture & food-oriented enough to hold my interest.

Trakehner
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:32 PM
Shows I hate:

Anything Anthony Bourdain...read his book, druggie/alcoholic with a bad attitude...no thanks.

Jamie Oliver...did the guy get a tongue transplant from a cow? Guys a jerk who lied about the finely ground beef "pink slime" and did some real lying propaganda about it.

Barefoot Contessa...love hearing how her husband hung around her when she was a teenager and he was in his late 20's...creepy.

Iron Chef...so rigged at times, not as bad as the Jap. version.

Cupcake Wars or that sweet cooking show with the weird looking guy.

Interesting Shows:

Alton Brown

Jacques Pepin...except when Claudine is there-yech. The daughter of a chef shouldn't be that big an idiot about cooking.

Chopped

Guy Fieri...but he's really getting overexposed

Sara Moulton

Cooks Country

2 Fat Ladies

Beentheredonethat
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:38 AM
They finally made one for me! Worst Cooks in America! That's one I could be on. I am a terrible cook, but fascinated by cooking shows. I love Top Chef. A lot of the other ones I think are boring--Diners, Drive-Ins and Drives and the ones where they talk about cooking. I kind of like the ones that teach, so I can learn something. Did you know if you COOK onions they don't taste nasty? It's amazing what you can learn.

Fred
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:47 PM
I love Jamie Oliver.

enjoy Barefoot Contessa, the Italian cooking show (the name of which escapes me right now).