PDA

View Full Version : Ordering glasses off the internet - best sites?

SkipHiLad4me
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:12 PM
I've finally gotten to the point where I need to wear my glasses quite a bit more than I've been doing :rolleyes: so I'd like to get some extra (cheap!) pairs. I am definitely a glasses newbie so need some help from the glasses veterans out there!

Suggestions for most reputable and cheapest sites online to order from? I'm nearsighted (so my script is a negative number) and the site my friend suggested (zennioptical.com) only carries the positive numbered scripts for reading glasses?? Is it harder to order the distance glasses online?

Neighland
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:47 PM
I've ordered from a couple, zennioptical, googles4u, and coastal. I liked the glasses from the first two and they were pretty cheap, I did spring for the scratch resistant.... But they were both very very slow IMO, coastal was like greased lightening and didn't like them as much but only paid 9.95 for shipping, google for a coupon and they'll have your first free pair!!

Guin
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:53 PM
I've used goggles4u and had no problems.

You need to get your PD (pupil distance) measured professionally, though. And good luck with that! No optical shop will do it for you, and it's like pulling teeth to get it from your eye doctor.

Tha Ridge
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:50 PM
Warby Parker and Lookmatic, hands down. Both affordable and awesome.

shakeytails
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:53 PM
I use eyebuydirect.com. Fast and easy. I got semi-rimless frames for like $12 last time around, including tint for my distance glasses, and no-glare and something else for my reading glasses. If you use them, be sure to use coupon code IFJB6J3456. You get 15% off and I get a $5.00 credit! My last several pairs ended up free because of friends using my code!

jn4jenny
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:03 PM
I've ordered from a number of them and they were all fine. Try the blog Glassy Eyes (dot com) for retailer reviews or coupon codes.

SkipHiLad4me
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:20 PM
Ok I lied - zennioptical.com does carry the negative numbers. User error :)

I actually got a script from my doc although I finally had to get them to mail it because 3 attempts to have it faxed to me failed. So I do have my PD values - but yes, like pulling teeth!

Thanks for the other website suggestions - I'll go look at those too!

Beentheredonethat
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:27 PM
I use zennioptical, and, as you found out, they do do negatives. The others aren't bad, either. I've used zenni about four times and just order a bunch of glasses because they're so cheap. You can "try" them on by downloading a picture now, too. They're in San Rafael, CA, so they usually ship right away. I've gotten all of mine in less than 10 days. They don't answer the phone, but their email customer service is great. Because shipping is $5 no matter what, just order a bunch of glasses--it's cheaper. SO has about 5 reading pairs around the house so he can't lose them for too long.

CVPeg
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
Not mail order, but just bought new glasses at Target. They had a sale on, AND if you have AAA, you get like a 30% discount!

Roncell
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:54 PM
I also vote for Zenni Optical. I usually get lightweight glasses with soft silicon nose pads or saddle bridges from them.

faybe
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:24 PM
Another Warby Parker vote! They'll send you up to 5 pairs for free to try on, then you can place your order. Plus, for every pair you buy, they donate a pair to someone in need. The only downside is they won't fill progressive lens orders- I ordered the frames at a discounted price and got the lens done locally.

TheHorseProblem
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:11 PM
Another Warby Parker vote! They'll send you up to 5 pairs for free to try on, then you can place your order. Plus, for every pair you buy, they donate a pair to someone in need. The only downside is they won't fill progressive lens orders- I ordered the frames at a discounted price and got the lens done locally.

That's too bad, although I understand why they won't do it. Their frames are really great looking. I have just ordered from zennioptical and been really happy with how the progressives turned out, but it would be easy to screw them up.

Rhyadawn
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:20 PM
I've used clearlycontacts and was very happy

Macimage
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:38 PM
For those that have purchased online, do you recommend adding the Polycarbonate option?

My prescription is clear glass in one lens and the other is a -2.00 if that matters.

Thanks!