PDA

View Full Version : Easter-What are you making?

KathyR
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:10 PM
We're going to have early dinner-late brunch with friends tomorrow. I'm making the fresh greens salad with strawberries-in the latest edition of Southern Living. I made it for a school lunch a few weeks ago, and it was gone before I could even try it-Many great reviews from those who had it. What are you making?

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:16 PM
I'm making a late dinner/early supper (3:30pm)

Bone in ham w/ a honey glaze
Garlic Mashed Potatoes w/ gravy (I am using campbell's brown gravy from a can lol)
Green bean casserole
Asparagus (it's required to have on Easter in my family)
Croissants

Boston Cream Cake (from Safeway .. they were on sale on 5.00 Friday..)

I am trying to keep my baking limited bc it's been really hot the last couple days here.. :(

stolen virtue
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:40 PM
We are having:

Roast chicken
salad with asparagus, tomatoes and goat cheese dipped in panko and sauteed
potatoes

I can't decide about dessert, maybe just sponge cake, strawberries and whipped cream.

Leprechaun
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:49 PM
After the Easter Egg Hunt

Grilled, Marinated, Butterflied Leg of Lamb
Good Red Wine
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
Glazed Carrots
Roasted Asparagus
and
Strawberry Shortcake
Champagne

Yay!

Happy Easter To All

BuddyRoo
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hadn't planned on having anyone here til oh, a few hours ago. So now I'm scrambling. Ham, cherries, scalloped potatoes, lima beans--that will be our dinner.

Had I KNOWN I had to feed a herd I would've planned better, but it was news to me.

saddleup
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:10 PM
Cinnamon rolls and orange juice.

Long Spot
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:15 PM
We are having:

Roast chicken
salad with asparagus, tomatoes and goat cheese dipped in panko and sauteed
potatoes

I can't decide about dessert, maybe just sponge cake, strawberries and whipped cream.

Tell me about your oven, stolen. Does it, oh I don't know, LOCK?

BuddyRoo
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:17 PM
ham
scalloped potatoes
cherries
lima beans
deviled eggs

Our standard.

stolen virtue
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:23 PM
Tell me about your oven, stolen. Does it, oh I don't know, LOCK?

LOL !You are always welcome to come for dinner, but you must bring that cute little baby !

I cook a lot and I worked in nice restaurants all during my 6 years of college so I learned to cook. My kids also eat everything that I make, there is no kid food, just regular food which is so much easier for me.

OTV
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:45 PM
For the non-vegans:
- roast turkey
- stuffing
- broccoli and rice casserole
- gruyere swiss chard au gratin potatoes

Vegans:
- high protein mashed potatoes*
- turnips (I'm making them with earth balance and almond milk but not telling anyone!)
- vegan spring stuffing*
- spaghetti squash with chili peppers and walnuts

Dessert (for everyone):
- Banana soft serve parfait with layers of graham cracker crumbs, maple drizzle, vegan raw cookie dough crumbles, and pecans.*

*Recipes either from (or mildly adapted from) Oh She Glows website!

pony grandma
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:13 PM
DD is making a Morel Mushroom Madness Casserole THAT time of the yr in Hoosierland!

1 pound frozen hash browns – thawed
10 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
~ 1 pound lovely morel mushrooms, usually cut in half (we like sizeable bites but you can cut smaller)
1 ¼ cup sour cream
7/8 cup milk
½ cup hot water*
1 cube vegetable bouillon* (or homemade vegetable broth 1/2 c)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 + cup chopped left-over baguette

Sauté on medium heat green onions in olive oil; add morels. Continue until juicy. In a small bowl, mix ½ cup boiling water with 1 cube vegetable bouillon and let it cool some. Add sour cream and milk to the broth. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix liquids and hash browns with onion/morel mixture. Spread into oiled casserole dish. Add cracked black pepper and a little salt. Spread bread chunks and cheese atop. Bake for 1 hour uncovered.

I'm going to Leprechaun's house!!

SMF11
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:25 PM
I'm making Slow-Braised Pork with Black Grapes and Balsalmic as I type. And we'll have roast butternut squash, beet salad and mashed potatoes. A friend is bringing blueberry pie and cheesecake.

HorsesinHaiti
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:52 PM
I didn't plan on Easter dinner, so no ham or lamb available (much to Houdini lamb's relief!) I'm having a few people over for homemade pizza instead.

Tapperjockey
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:40 PM
Added to the list:

Sis brought home made Beef Stroganoff (yummy), ham/cream cheese rolls (half w/ pickled asparagus, half w/ pickles), tortilla roll ups (cream cheese mixed with ranch dressing dry packet, sliced olives.. drained, and minced green onions, spread onto a tortilla top with a slice of deli ham or turkey or chicken, roll, and then slice into little rounds), and a fruit salad.

mom brought a lemon cake, little smokies, cheesy potato casserole and glazed root veggies (turnips, carrots and i think parsnips in it).

Brother1 brought his famous chicken salad (at least famous to us). He puts dried cranberries, small apple chunks and halved grapes in it.. it's awesome.

Brother2 has brought 2 cases of coca-cola, 1 of pepsi, Diet Fruit Punch and chick and bunny cupcakes for the kids.

YAY!!!!

(my family is incapable of not bringing food with them)

TheBandit
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:49 PM
We're having:

Leg of lamb
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Moonshine Whoopie Pies

bumknees
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
We are breaking out the grill. While it is not 80 it is above 50 s not freezing..
we are having
beautiful grain fed rib eye steaks cut to order
Real mashed potatoes not instant blech
fresh not frozen peas
and peaches unfourtonatly(not sp correctly) from a can as love em in heavy syrup
Just waiting for dh to get home from work.

Calvincrowe
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:01 PM
Ham
Au Gratin Potatoes
Minted peas
Baked Corn Casserole
Hot rolls
Deviled Eggs ('cause ya gotta!)
Lemon Bars and Lindt Chocolate Bunnies for dessert.

I am hosting 1/2 the family, so just 12 of us:eek: in my wee ranch with the galley kitchen...where everyone insists on standing. Why is that??

abrant
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:23 PM
I've been wanting to share this :)

We're non-traditional so I made a crock pot of queso for lunch. A friend from work shared a recipe she found and I made a double batch for a work potluck on Thursday and it's the best homemade queso I've ever had.

2 Tbls. real butter - sliced
1 lb. box Velveeta® process cheese food - sliced
8 oz. container sour cream
10 oz. can Ro*Tel® tomatoes and chilies
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

I backed off the garlic to 1 teaspoon and next time I will probably do the salt to taste. But damn, it's good stuff. I joked with my husband that it would make Matzah edible, but we ate it with tortilla chips :)

rustbreeches
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:28 PM
Things I made:
Home raised ham, glazed in Sprite, maple syrup, brown sugar and French's mustard

Leg of lamb
Homemade au gratin potatoes
green beans
green salad
fruit salad with yougurt/honey/lime dressing (DD made!)

Strawberry pie
Chocolate pie
peach pie
French creme
frozen salad
Key Lime pie

Things that were brought by guests
mashed potatoes
minted peas
hotcross buns in a basket made of bread
pumpkin mousse

MunchingonHay
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:41 PM
collards with quinoa

I make the collards with shallots, garlic, veggie stock, a little cumin, red pepper flakes and some white wine.

Tapperjockey
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:43 PM
An hour late.. *sigh* I stayed behind while the sister, brothers and parents went to the Easter Egg Hunt at the Church. Still waiting for them to return lol. Oh well.. nothing will be ruined :) Just I am gettiing hungry from all these WONDERFUL SMELLS!!!

cowgirljenn
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:17 PM
You all are making me hungry. :) We're both dieting but were going to make a ham and nice Easter meal. One of the recently seized rescue mares foaled last night and had a little bit of a difficult time. We were up way too late (and got too little sleep since I got up after a few hours to check on baby and mom). I was sleep-deprived enough that I forgot to thaw the ham...

So... if the vet gets here in the next 15 minutes and everyone is fine and he doesn't have to stay long, then we'll go get something in town.

Otherwise, we'll scramble about the kitchen.

But i think instead I want to come visit some of you. :)

Laurierace
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
There were nine of us. Not sure why I felt the need to have enough food for 29 but I did! We had a ham and a turkey! Mashed potatoes, stuffing, broccoli with cheese sauce, asparagus, a fruit plate, deviled eggs, an absolutely ridiculous mac and cheese made with gruyere that cost more than the turkey, and two different kinds of rolls. Homemade strawberry shortcake, refrigerator cake and two types of pies. I am almost ashamed at the excess of it all but it sure was good!

BlueEyedSorrel
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:42 PM
For various reasons I couldn't make it home for the holiday, and y'all are making me miss the traditional family meal

Easter Saturday: sliced ham (served cold, not hot), my mom's German potato salad, three bean salad, various rolls....perfect for nibbling while we dye eggs

Easter: roast leg of lamb, rice, green salad, baked fruit, deviled eggs and best of all, cream puffs. We make our filling as an egg based custard which is then whipped together with the cream.

Sigh. Maybe next year....
BES

Wayside
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:04 PM
We were invited to my FIL's house for Easter, but DH told me I didn't have to go. So I stayed home and ate spinach and broccoli pizza :lol:

Griffyn
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:54 AM
Maple and ginger glazed planked salmon, mustard mashed potatoes, and asparagus. Simple. The salmon turned out perfectly. Im not much of a cook, but I took my stab at it, and feel pretty happy about it! We had a store bought lemon cake for dessert. Then I came to work, for overnight shift. Sigh.

nhwr
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:02 AM
This is what I made for dessert
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3293631573007&set=a.2435440398764.2119471.1034313025&type=1&theater

Tapperjockey
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:43 AM
Finally got to eat.. lol. The Easter Egg hunt went 2 hrs past when they thought it would, and when it was over.. the kiddos fell asleep. So we had the appetizers while they slept .. and slept.. and slept. And when they woke up, we had dessert. They promptly fell back asleep, and so us adults ate dinner. And it was DELICIOUS!!

Tapperjockey
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:46 AM
This is what I made for dessert
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3293631573007&set=a.2435440398764.2119471.1034313025&type=1&theater

the link didn't work. Are you set to private?

tradewind
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:49 PM
I made leg of lamb, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas with mint, homemade mint jelly, rolls, red wine..It turned out great. Lamb is one of my favorite things.

ChocoMare
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:57 PM
It was just 3 of us, but I made Plum Glazed Ham, fresh green beans & au gratin potatos. It was yummy :D Besides, what a great way to break in my new range!! :D

rustbreeches
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:04 PM
Just wanted to pass on my au gratin potato tip... Dh was raised on the instant boxed kind, so my homemade version was found lacking. When I make my white sauce and add cheese, I also toss in a half packet of onion soup mix. Makes homemade taste like storebought :D. I also use a mandolin to get the taters really thin, and layer taters and cheese sauce several times in the pan

ohrebecca
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
We hadn't planned on doing anything for Easter, until Sunday morning! We're not religious, so don't really "celebrate" Easter, and my family is kind of scattered all around. Randomly decided to make meatloaf, though, and invite my mom over since she's been moving and probably would like a homecooked meal. We made meatloaf, mashed potatoes and brown gravy, long grain and wild rice, garlic roasted asparagus, green beans in brown butter breadcrumbs, honey glazed carrots and summer crisp corn. For dessert, I made yellow mini cupcakes with buttercream: some looked like Easter eggs with pastel frosting, and some looked like Easter baskets with green coconut flake "grass" and jelly beans. Mini cupcakes fit perfectly in dozen-egg cartons, by the way, and look super cute!

It was a really good impromptu meal, and I was happy to make a meal for my mom since she's made me so many! We didn't let her help at all, either, just let her relax and catch up on Dance Moms :)

Equine Studies
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:11 PM
Had dinner yesterday (after a work bee at my uncle's farm). Here's what we had (keep in mind there were 25 people there:

ham
roast beef
greens salad
coleslaw
snow pea and asparagus salad with radicchio and pine nuts
asparagus
mashed potatoes
broccoli and cauliflower
maple glazed carrots
scalloped potatoes
homemade buns
and several desserts-carrot cake, Skor trifle, cookies etc.

Making asparagus soup with the leftover asparagus now.

CVPeg
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:47 PM
Had Easter dinner with sibs at Mom's retirement home.

I had plans to make homemade marshmallows, in several varieties, but this past week was a tough one. Still have the ingredients out. So I'll be extending the holiday, and distributing the goods throughout the spring. :) (Where's the bunny smilie when you need one?)