PDA

View Full Version : I just hate most of the new clothes out there

redhorse5
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:40 PM
As a spinoff from the "put together" thread, I just wanted to say that I am really unimpressed with the selection of clothing out there. Maybe its age, but I go shopping and can't even find something that I want to try on. I walk through the expensive shopping centers like Lenox in Atlanta and I just get depressed. I hate the really wild colors and I don't want sequins on my butt.
I end up going home and just ordering another polo online. It always seems like many items just have a fatal flaw. It looks like it would fit but the neckline is too low, sleeves too short, skirt too short etc. Am I just too picky? And God help me I don't like the wild prints. I feel like I would look like a bad lawn chair. I wear a size 8 so it's not like I can't find my size but yuck.

animaldoc
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:42 PM
Me too! I was shopping last weekend and everything is ruffly, frilly, gauzy....I have never looked good in that stuff - I have to wear things that are more tailored....

Then I feel like I wear the same thing (or a variation) all the time, but if you know what looks good on you....you don't have much choice!

xeroxchick
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:48 PM
Well, I think too many of the clothes make a woman look like "mutton dressed as lamb." Still, J Crew has some nice pencil skirts. Banana Republic has their MadMen line. I have been into color blocking (bright solids, no matching) and feel like it gives a fresh and updated look without looking like I wish I was a sleezy Kardashian.
You are right, though. So many hooker clothes out there.
I'm probably in the minority, but I would rather look like June Cleaver than Snookie.

redhorse5
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:53 PM
Yes, I want June Cleaver's shirt waist dresses, please!!! Just the thing with a nice cardigan.

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:04 PM
If you can find a good seamstress (or you like to sew) that is the way to go totally. There are a lot of excellent patterns out there.

bits619
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:07 PM
With very few exceptions, the only clothing i've bought in the last few years has been riding apparel.

No, I take it back. I went wild in Penneys in Ireland. Some stuff is VERY trendy there, but most of what I bought is plaun, basic items like solid shirts and sweaters.

My best friend said she went through her husband's clothes (they're in their late twenties or so) with him (he's definitely got the Irish mammy complex, which she's learning to work with instead of against!) she finally convinced him to get rid of all the shirts with 'witty' phrasing. I definitely agree, there's a certain age when comedic tee shirts need to stay as pj's only. :D

I've had the best luck at Banana republic and Ann Taylor Loft. Their stuff is classy without looking old, and i can funk it up with jewelry and shoes.
Department stores generally leave me feeling at once overwhelmed and disappointed, so I avoid those for most things.

sk_pacer
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:11 PM
I want REAL colours, not those puke green, puke yellow, etc colours that have been in style for the last several years. I want shirts/sweaters that are long enough and pants that don't do up under the armpits. I also want pants with proper legs, not those short things or the ones with legs so tiny you gotta grease your feet to get them through the ankle hole. SImplicity would be nice too, no bows, frills, big swatches of sequins, hunks of lace dripping off at weird places, and no flowers......sick to death of stuff that looks like 50s Hawaiian floweredy shirts. I am too old for short pants and crop tops. I like plain jeans, plain sweats (far superior for being a tractor jockey) and plain shirts. I also want dress clothing to have some lines and style, not look like something patched together in random forms.

twotrudoc
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I *heart* sk pacer LOL!!!

And I agree, I hatehatehate ruffly stuff. Bling, I love. I would bling the kitten if he would stay still.

Louise
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:19 PM
Yes, I want June Cleaver's shirt waist dresses, please!!! Just the thing with a nice cardigan.

I have been watching Murder She Wrote lately, and I have been coveting the lovely clothes that she wore for that series.

Apr. 7, 2012, 02:25 PM
If I were a better seamstress I would buy the 1940s vintage patterns. Understated and classy

planetlisa
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:47 PM
Try a consignment store? You'll find a big selection, things that are still in but not the very latest, and lower prices.

Murphy's Mom
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:00 PM
I did some shopping last week and I was thinking the styles and colors looked like something out of the Austin Powers movies. Totally shagadellic baby! :D

Mara
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:15 PM
I suppose I'm fortunate to work in an office whose dress code is "Don't come in naked." :lol: Seriously, jeans and concert tees are the norm for a lot of people.

Hate ruffly and gauzy and "shirred", whatever that is - I think it's bunched up fabric. My preferences run to fitted polos and low-rise jeans (these are a blessing to those of us with short torsos). Most of our client offices have similar policies, so if I get called in to one I'm not totally out of place. (In colder months I do have some really cool classic-looking sweaters).

I also hate that scoop-neck and vee-neck seem to be the thing now; lots of us cannot wear those styles. I'll find a cool fitted tee-shirt, and dammit, it has a vee neck.

sophie
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:16 PM
I did some shopping last week and I was thinking the styles and colors looked like something out of the Austin Powers movies. Totally shagadellic baby! :D

Ditto! What's up with that? I was hoping those days were gone forever...lol

I just ignore anything I don't like. I can always find stuff I like. Mostly online. I HATE shopping for clothes in stores.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:21 PM
What is it with those ripped clothes with holes on them ... for sale as new?:confused:

Mara
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:24 PM
What is it with those ripped clothes with holes on them ... for sale as new?:confused:

Anyone remember the jeans with BULLET HOLES in them that were on the market about 8, 9 years ago? True - the jeans were tossed into the air and shot at (might be a fun job for a few days), then sold in stores for 3-figure prices. :confused:

JanM
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:25 PM
I hate the short shirts (the length not the sleeves), wonder why all of the shirt manufacturers are doing short sleeve shirts that are too short for me (or anyone over 25), and clothes that leave a big gap when you reach for anything and your belly is exposed. I buy virtually everything at Kohl's and it's not that easy there either, or LL Bean or the other online stores, because if they don't have shirts (polos for example) that have decent sleeves in the women's, then I get mens shirts-and for polos and such it works. I really like the online ones like LL Bean that have tons of customer reviews on each item, so I know if there are sizing issues, or if soemthing is a bad idea to buy.

Mara-look at LLBean and some of the other online vendors, because online they have a better selection for things like plain tees than the stores do, with more options and colors.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:27 PM
How come so many shirt/blouse's necks lack the last two upper buttons?:confused:

Gnalli
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:29 PM

I think I saw one of those online the other day. I want to say it was Roamans, but I am not sure. I love that look, classy, neat well put together. I have the pattern for these dresses in my pattern box, and just love them.

Gnalli
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:35 PM
Honestly, there are sometimes when I look at all the stuff in the stores and revert one of 2 ways..Crisp creased Levis with a button down shirt and polished boots and belt as per my daddy's advice or a silky shell top and straight skirt to mid calf with a pair of opera pumps and pearls. Very few places do I have to go that one or the other would not be appropriate. The great thing about these is that even if you are a woman of size like I am, these outfits look nice and not like something that tried and couldn't. I am 41, not 14 and not only would I look stupid trying to look like that, I have no desire to look like that. I don't want ruffles or bold prints or words or sequins for work or play, and I want my butt cleavage covered, but not up to my rib cage.

Cielo Azure
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:49 PM
Ebay and Etsy -vintage clothes...look for mint condition and describe what you want with keywords. There is some great stuff out there. Anywhere from the 1940s and newer.

Laura Ashley (make sure it is made in Great Briton)
and Saks fifth are two of my favs...

UK or Scottish made wool sweaters used -mint condition

Couture labels -just start digging, there are lots of them (vintage)

Shop hard and ebay has some real finds for vintage.

Ebay -new EU/UK brands...
I really like Monsoon for silk stuff.

There are many dealers that specialize in this stuff. It can cost as much as new clothes but well worth it. The quality (American made from 1950-1980s) is so superior. The cottons are cotton, the velvets are cotton, natural fabrics, silk, etc are just so much better. No el-cheapo Chineese stuff...

outside__line
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:57 PM
I agree completely with skpacer, and although this sounds funny (even to me)... I finally found the best place to shop: Bass Pro. I grew up with a 'fashion conscious' mother AND survived prep school, so I have done the trendy thing (hated it), the department store thing, the name brand thing of the moment thing.... and now a little older and wiser... my shopping mecca is Bass Pro.

A big Bass Pro has everything from Woolrich to Columbia with stops in between. (The Woolrich selection at Bass Pro was better than the one at Dillards... how does that even happen?) They actually have real people clothes - the stuff on the mannequins can be worn by ladies who are not 5'11" and 110 pounds. Pretty colors, no skinny jeans, no weird logos/designs or frou-frou embellishments. Not too much that you couldn't wear in front of your grandmother's church friends (if you overlook the pink camo undies, of course.) I was impressed at how many simple, pretty things they had - a great range of 'real people' clothes for people who may go out in real rain or snow, walk real dogs in real weather, ride real horses in real winters, etc.

If they also carried dress clothes, I could be happy forever. But for casual, every day, even to business casual (non-jeans, etc)... they have more options than any ridiculous department store. I am lucky to work from home and even when I travel, most of my meetings are business casual. I have a few nice suits, a few nice dresses, and other than that... Bass Pro! The website is pretty good, but the larger stores (we have the big one in Springfield, MO but I've been to a few others) are way better.

True confession: We are going to Easter brunch at DH's grandparents' home tomorrow. Love 'em completely but you Do Not Go to Grandma's House in Jeans if you know what's good for you. My 'Easter outfit' came from Bass Pro and it's super pretty, comfortable, and didn't break the bank.

If my mother ever finds out, she'll drag me to a boutique for rehab. :lol:

(I also sew, and love vintage patterns... many GREAT stylish, classic things if you know where to look! I love "SewingPatternReview.com to hear from other seamstresses before tackling a new project.)

mbarrett
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:11 PM
I am over the age limit for current fashion trends (I'm 47) and fighting the "middle-age-spread."

I always go for classic, never-goes-out-of-style clothes. Preppy always looks good, as long as it's toned down.

I found that Boden USA has great fashionable clothes that aren't over the top. They are a bit pricey, since they come from Great Britain, but they look and fit me great. I get tons of compliments on the skirts, boots and tops I have bought from Boden.

Even when I was young and thin, I wouldn't be caught dead in some of the fashions out there today. I've dressing preppy and classic my whole life, why stop now? :)

redhorse5
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the tips. I guess having the perfect body would help things, but I don't think I will ever hear someone say, "Wow, that old lady's butt really looks great in those barn clothes. I bet she can sure sit an extended trot!"

MaybeMorgan
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:27 PM
Land's end has great classic items that wear incredibly well, but even their I wish they had more muted colors-I don't look good in "easter egg" colors. Grey is more my thing.

BlueEyedSorrel
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:36 PM
About a month ago, I went to the mall to look for a dress for my upcoming graduation (grad school, not college).

OMG, my bleeding eyes. EVERYTHING was in some shade of neon, like all the "totally rad" colors of my 80s childhood are back to haunt me. Those colors look good on women under 5 and above 80, and look awful on everyone else. And one shoulder dresses! Again, complete 80s flashback.

I ended up finding a dress online, took a chance that a size 8 was a true size 8 and it actually fit. Thank goodness for the internet otherwise I don't know what I'd do. I half expect to see leg warmers and side ponytails next.

BES

dalpal
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:04 PM
And what is up with sizing? I know now why they make size 0. Hell what used to be an 8 is a 4. I'm very conservative with clothes. But I did go on eBay and buy one empire waist shirt with a tie in black with a tasteful print pattern. I do love that shirt. I try to stick to brands like Claiborne, Jones of New York, Talbots, Audrey Talbott, J McLaughlin, and Karen Kane. I also refuse to pay 100 for a freaking shirt. I shop mostly on eBay.

mroades
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:08 PM
I actually like to be able to tuck my shirts in..and ..gasp..I like mom-jeans.
I am SOL shopping these days

barbarachloejosie
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:25 AM
I love Eileen Fisher. Especially in Garnet Hill catalog: Beautiful fabrics, cut and color.
http://www.garnethill.com/womens-fashion/shop-by-brand/eileen-fisher/?SourceCode=K2W46B&cm_mmc=google-_-Garnet+Hill+VB+-+Eileen+Fisher+-+Clothing-_-Eileen+Fisher+-+Clothing_Broad-_-eileen+fisher+clothing&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000015875-_-9596294650&gclid=CPf2j4SRpa8CFUfc4AodtB2gaQ

As for my other favorite, Lilly Pulitzer, well that has been one of my favorite designers since I was a little girl and I covet my vintage prints. The shift dresses and skorts are some of my all time favorites. Like this one, http://www.lillypulitzer.com/product/Ricci-Shift/2782.uts?relationType=crossSell
hasn't changed much since Jackie Kennedy days.... I'm a fan of color and even though I live primarily in the northeast, I like to wear a cute dress come Spring.

Barbara

JanM
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:58 AM
dalpal-to find outlets or stores for a specific brand go to : mallseeker.com.
Type the name of the store, and you'll see everywhere they have a store, and if you click "outlets only" you'll only see the outlet locations. You can save big bucks going to the warehouse clearance stores for some brands like Talbots (they have one in Atlanta and a few other locations too). If you click on a specific mall name it shows you a list of all of the stores in the mall, and you can go to the mall website too. It's kind of fun seeing where the clearance outlets are.

akrogirl
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:23 PM
I actually like to be able to tuck my shirts in..and ..gasp..I like mom-jeans.
I am SOL shopping these days

Sounds like me, lol. I have a long torso and low rise pants do not work at all. I end up doing most of my shopping at TJMaxx, Neiman Marcus/NM Last Call, and the Izod outlet store (great for riding tops). I was looking for shorts this past week and couldn't find one single pair that came to my waist. Sorry, but six inches of fabric just isn't going to cut it.

If I had the money, I would be living in the likes of Chado Ralph Rucci, Akris, Loro Piana, Piazza Sempione etc. Beautifully tailored, classic styles in wonderful fabrics with, unfortunately, prices to match. Once in a while, I do find a bargain at Last Call and snap it up.

Darkstar
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:33 PM
And what is up with sizing? I know now why they make size 0. Hell what used to be an 8 is a 4.

I was just having a conversation about this a few days ago with a friend. I am a true size 4; petite but w/a few curves. I needed a cocktail dress for an event my SO is taking me to - everything I tried on in a 4 at JCrew/Nordstrom/Macys was massive and boxy. Ended up sizing down to a size 2 and even a size XS in some cases. Now, I may be small, but I am not 'that' small. Sizing is getting crazy.

Don't even get me on the length of jeans - according to JBrand and the likes of nicer jeans, all women are rail thin w/no butt or waist and are 5'8. Even petite jeans have inseams made for women 5'4. No can do and altering costs $.

BasqueMom
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:41 PM
Coldwater Creek is one of my favorite places to look. Actually, our local Macys has some pretty stuff that is fairly classic in their store brands. Penneys and Kohls seems to be going thin, frilly, shirred, whatever. A little of that goes a long way.

Seems like the materials keep getting thinner and more artificial fibers vs cotton.

bumknees
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:49 PM
I hate hate hate the clothing on the market today.

Im closer to 50 than 20. I no more want to wear fringe now than I did when I was a teenager. My feet are huge to when I was that age I could not get them through those jeans that thought every female of a certian age/size had itty bitty feet.. HAH yeah right my big toe couldnt wiggle through the opening...

And I am sorry but when I go to buy a bra I already lived through the obnouxious colors and huge flowers once in my life time on underwear do I really need to again? Just because I wear small cups doesn't mean im a teenie booper... see the grey hairs... I finally made it out of power puff girls when I was 46 let me have some pride please....

And no I dont want my buttocks hanging out of my pants, nor do I want dental floss that cost more than well, dental floss up between my buttock cheeks.. that would not be a pretty sight trust me on that one.

I am really tired of the skirts and is this itty bitty piece of fabric a dress? It might cover my shoulder. I wear skirts when I can find then that are no shorter than knee leingth because I have thunder thighs always have been.

It really sucks being an adult who is a Jr miss size or what ever they are called in today fashion world...

And what is it with shoes for those of us with huge feet? Is all fashion sense suposed to go out the window as shoe size goes up? It doesnt matter where I go it can be elder beerman or wal mart the shoes are fugly in my size I mean really gold with a huge flower on it? Or black chunk...

TG I dont have to go out to often of I dont know what I would do...

bits619
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:05 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I *heart* sk pacer LOL!!!

And I agree, I hatehatehate ruffly stuff. Bling, I love. I would bling the kitten if he would stay still.

LOL, poor kittens! Hilarious though :-)

I love Eileen Fisher. Especially in Garnet Hill catalog: Beautiful fabrics, cut and color.
http://www.garnethill.com/womens-fashion/shop-by-brand/eileen-fisher/?SourceCode=K2W46B&cm_mmc=google-_-Garnet+Hill+VB+-+Eileen+Fisher+-+Clothing-_-Eileen+Fisher+-+Clothing_Broad-_-eileen+fisher+clothing&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000015875-_-9596294650&gclid=CPf2j4SRpa8CFUfc4AodtB2gaQ

As for my other favorite, Lilly Pulitzer, well that has been one of my favorite designers since I was a little girl and I covet my vintage prints. The shift dresses and skorts are some of my all time favorites. Like this one, http://www.lillypulitzer.com/product/Ricci-Shift/2782.uts?relationType=crossSell
hasn't changed much since Jackie Kennedy days.... I'm a fan of color and even though I live primarily in the northeast, I like to wear a cute dress come Spring.

Barbara

I too love me some Lily! I got three dresses from the new year sale, and they're fun. One's a navy waffle weave with navy buttons, the other is a red and white shirt dress, and honesty.... I've forgotten what the other one is! Been a while since I've rummaged through my closet. But I really do enjoy the fun prints, too. I just get more use from an understated dress and 'louder' accessories.

CatOnLap
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:18 PM
"shagedellic."
LOL oh yes, I remember the colours of the 60's and 70's and wish I'd kept my clothes- I'd still fit them. Including those jeans we worked so hard to wear holes in and rip and safety pin together.

I must admit, I do love skinny jeans with cute boots. But crop tops? um- yeah -NOT. random lace, sequins and chains? A nightmare to wash anyway.

The low scoop and v necks- my solution is pretty cotton lingerie worn underneath-little camisoles, body suits, etc, so my cleavage is not the main attraction when I am talking to someone. feminine and simple.

And yes the sizing is all over the place, however, I am at the same weight and wearing the same size as I did 25 years ago in my 30's, so not every manufacturer is crazy. I had never heard of a size zero before the last 10 years- that is for 11 year olds I think. But my size 6-8 is still the same as in 1988- 24-26 inch waist, 34-36 inch hips, 34-36 inch bust. The top designers think I am a size 4- but I can't afford them anyway. The cheapie clothes similarily want to flatter me into buying a false size that falls apart on the first wash. I go for the simple, natural fiber, middle of the road stores- Suzannes, Northern Reflections, the Bay. Most of the stuff there is a consistent sizing.

Angelico
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:23 PM
You and me both! And for crying out loud, does ANY place sell tee shirts any more? Not super tight, low cut cutesy shirts for that race of teeny women I've never seen, but a good 'ole loosey tee shirt? Ordering off the internet is great but too pricey.

Canaqua
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:43 PM
Try a consignment store? You'll find a big selection, things that are still in but not the very latest, and lower prices.

This!!! I'm nearly 50, tall, thin, blonde, big chest. Sounds great until I have to find clothes :(. I'm waaaaay too old for those girly or sexy fashions and I need to tone things down to avoid looking like an aging bimbo ;). Clothes have to be dark/neutral colored, slim cut, conservative, but not frumpy. The less attention I call to any part of my body the better, but I don't want to look dumpy at my age by having something loose hanging from the bigger top half. There is not a lot out there these days that meets that description. We live in Mass, where the consignment and thrift shops kind of suck, I don't know why...maybe it's the inherent frugality here, people don't give things up until they are ratty and unwearable. My ILs are in Wisconsin, however, and for some reason their thrift stores are great! I buy nearly all my clothes when we go there to visit every summer, my MIL and I go out and hit 8-10 Goodwills/Salvation Armies/St. Vincent dePaul shops in one day and that's where I get my wardrobe. I can buy slightly out of fashion clothes that work better for me than the latest things AND they are so cheap that I can afford to have them altered if they don't fit.

tm
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:51 PM
Chicos. Clothes that look good on those of us who graduated during the previous century, and consistent sizing too.

Plumcreek
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:12 PM
Ditto Coldwater Creek. Always well made and classy. Sizes are real, also. Most of my work wardrobe is Coldwater Creek and ebay Ralph Lauren. Colorado had a wonderful regional store about 25 years ago called Fashion Bar. I still have those clothes and wear them.